PDA

View Full Version : Chiefs How the Chiefs are going to replace Sean Smith

pugsnotdrugs19
02-02-2016, 12:20 PM
Here below is a fantastic article basically explaining how I've been feeling about the Sean Smith situation for the last few months (though I didn't write it), from Arrowhead Addict.

http://arrowheadaddict.com/2016/02/02/chiefs-offseason-replacing-sean-smith/

I've stated before that I'm not big on building your team by signing 29 year old corners to a contract that could have a cap hit around 15 million when they are 32, and that's why I would have to say a tough goodbye to Smith. This article goes into detail as to some of the scenarios that Dorsey could use to fill this hole, and they all make a lot of sense. They also would allow us to keep our other key FAs in the meantime.

Check it out and give your feedback below.

rabblerouser
02-02-2016, 12:39 PM
Franchise that ass, draft someone this year and keep Gaines on the roster as a nickel.

scho63
02-02-2016, 12:40 PM
I really don't see a scenario where they can keep him and some of the other FA's we have. His price will be higher than we should or could afford. The interesting question is what happens if we lose both Sean Smith and Berry.

If someone steps in and offers Berry a crazy amount of money that we can't match and he leaves first, then we have a real problem with Sean Smith as well.

The Franchise
02-02-2016, 12:40 PM
Franchise that ass, draft someone this year and keep Gaines on the roster as a nickel.

You want to pay him $13 million?

rabblerouser
02-02-2016, 12:41 PM
You want to pay him $13 million?

For one more year, while he's still one of the best press corners in the league??

Absolutely.

RunKC
02-02-2016, 12:46 PM
The best and deepest positions stacked with talent in this draft are DL and CB. Great timing for us

DaneMcCloud
02-02-2016, 12:50 PM
I really don't see a scenario where they can keep him and some of the other FA's we have. His price will be higher than we should or could afford.

I question this because the play of Darrelle Revis dropped considerably this past season as he turned age 30. The Eagles shelled out a ton of money for Byron Maxwell and that's been a terrible investment, as was Cary Williams.

I suppose that it's possible that some team will overpay him the next two years but a good team will look at his age, his history of suspensions and factor those into the equation when offering him a deal.

Hog's Gone Fishin
02-02-2016, 12:50 PM
The Chiefs have the ability to make good deals with all our potential free agents and still bring in a couple more. Berry and DJ are Chiefs until they retire.
Letting Sean Smith go will not make us better.

Dumbasses!

Mr. Laz
02-02-2016, 12:51 PM
Whatever ... they just better not screw it up.

Our defense isn't even close to being as good without 2 outside man-to-man guys.

i don't want to hear any bullshit about Gaines moving out there either.

We need someone to cover guys like Edelman on the inside

DaneMcCloud
02-02-2016, 12:51 PM
The best and deepest positions stacked with talent in this draft are DL and CB. Great timing for us

Agreed.

And I think that it's possible, not likely but possible, that at 28, Dorsey can drop back a few spots and still get a good player while picking up an additional draft choice or two to use as ammo in the second and/or third round to move up.

rabblerouser
02-02-2016, 12:52 PM
I question this because the play of Darrelle Revis dropped considerably this past season as he turned age 30. The Eagles shelled out a ton of money for Byron Maxwell and that's been a terrible investment, as was Cary Williams.

I suppose that it's possible that some team will overpay him the next two years but a good team will look at his age, his history of suspensions and factor those into the equation when offering him a deal.
It's possible that he's not going to be able to command as much as this writer thinks...

DaneMcCloud
02-02-2016, 12:53 PM
Whatever ... they just better not screw it up.

Our defense isn't even close to being as good without 2 outside man-to-man guys.

i don't want to hear any bullshit about Gaines moving out there either.

We need someone to cover guys like Edelman on the inside
The answer to that is to draft athletic inside linebackers to disrupt slants and wheel routes, just like the Seattle Seahawks have done.

They shut the Broncos down in Super Bowl 48.

pugsnotdrugs19
02-02-2016, 12:53 PM
You can't overpay for a guy in this current situation. It's a whole different story if we don't have a guy like Peters, but we do. And I personally have a lot more faith in Gaines ability than most. Nelson shouldn't be far off either by any means.

You can't pay a guy 13 million a year that you (so far) have successfully planned to replace.

Eleazar
02-02-2016, 01:06 PM
He's not worth what his market value will be. Draft a replacement. They seem to be good with evaluating secondary talent.

O.city
02-02-2016, 01:09 PM
Agreed.

And I think that it's possible, not likely but possible, that at 28, Dorsey can drop back a few spots and still get a good player while picking up an additional draft choice or two to use as ammo in the second and/or third round to move up.

I would prefer not dropping out of the forst round, giving up the 5th year option

Mr. Laz
02-02-2016, 01:15 PM
The answer to that is to draft athletic inside linebackers to disrupt slants and wheel routes, just like the Seattle Seahawks have done.

They shut the Broncos down in Super Bowl 48.
So it was DJ's fault that Edelman raped us on national t.v.

https://media1.giphy.com/media/Y2nbrJyAR6RiM/200_s.gif

Rausch
02-02-2016, 01:15 PM
For one more year, while he's still one of the best press corners in the league??

Absolutely.

He's not one of the best CB's in the league.

And when CB's lose a step they fall off a cliff.

I'd prefer to let him walk. With our youth at CB (Gaines, Nelson, Peters) and our pass rush I don't feel as bad about it...

staylor26
02-02-2016, 01:16 PM
I'm completely comfortable rolling with Peters/Gaines/Nelson/Draft pick next year. Just need to draft one of the many 6'0"+ corners and we'll be fine.

Nelson did a pretty good job covering Hopkins for a couple of plays in the playoff game. I think he'll be ready to take over the nickel spot after another offseason.

Mr. Laz
02-02-2016, 01:17 PM

And when CB's lose a step they fall off a cliff.

I'd prefer to let him walk. With our youth at CB (Gaines, Nelson, Peters) and our pass rush I don't feel as bad about it...
can Gaines stay healthy?
Nelson has had like 3 decent plays since he because a chief

That's what you're banking on?

brilliant

DaneMcCloud
02-02-2016, 01:20 PM
I would prefer not dropping out of the forst round, giving up the 5th year option

I agree but it all depends on how the first round shakes out.

I keep seeing people "mock" either Jack Conklin (a tackle) or Sheldon Rankins, at DT, to #28.

If Rankins is there, he makes sense because it's more than likely that either Howard or Poe won't be with the Chiefs in the next two years. I'm not really excited about a right tackle at #28 so if Rankins is gone and someone offers a few picks to move up, I wouldn't mind going back 5 spots or less.

It just all depends...

DaneMcCloud
02-02-2016, 01:24 PM
can Gaines stay healthy?

That's a question you can ask of any NFL player, especially those who have had prior injuries like Charles, Gaines, Houston and even Eric Berry.

Either the player has the ability or he doesn't.

Teams can't worry about whether or not a player can stay healthy. The only way to prevent a dropoff due to injury is to draft competent depth, which Dorsey has been doing since he took over the team in 2013.

O.city
02-02-2016, 01:28 PM
I agree but it all depends on how the first round shakes out.

I keep seeing people "mock" either Jack Conklin (a tackle) or Sheldon Rankins, at DT, to #28.

If Rankins is there, he makes sense because it's more than likely that either Howard or Poe won't be with the Chiefs in the next two years. I'm not really excited about a right tackle at #28 so if Rankins is gone and someone offers a few picks to move up, I wouldn't mind going back 5 spots or less.

It just all depends...

If the the package to trade down is a really good one, yeah.

But if they're dropping into the mid early 2nd round, juse take the guy at 28 and be done.

RippedmyFlesh
02-02-2016, 01:34 PM

But if they're dropping into the mid early 2nd round, juse take the guy at 28 and be done.

Because if your guy will be there it is worth picking up additional pick/picks.

DaneMcCloud
02-02-2016, 01:46 PM

No, I wouldn't advocate dropping 18 or 19 spots. Plus, that would require some picks next year as well, so I doubt there's a team willing to give up multiple 2's and 3's to get to 28.

But Cleveland, Tennessee, Dallas or Arizona? Sure, why not?

O.city
02-02-2016, 01:48 PM
No, I wouldn't advocate dropping 18 or 19 spots. Plus, that would require some picks next year as well, so I doubt there's a team willing to give up multiple 2's and 3's to get to 28.

But Cleveland, Tennessee, Dallas or Arizona? Sure, why not?

I think keeping the fifth year option is worth more than the pick gained.

O.city
02-02-2016, 01:49 PM
Because if your guy will be there it is worth picking up additional pick/picks.

A. You don't know if he will be there.

B. You lose the fifth year option on the player selected

DaneMcCloud
02-02-2016, 01:50 PM

I think it just depends on who's there.

Plus, if the player is a "hit", an extension after Year Three, just like what was given to Kelce, Ertz, Johnson, etc. is more likely than not.

rabblerouser
02-02-2016, 01:55 PM

Depends on who you get with the pick.

Hammock Parties
02-02-2016, 02:37 PM
The D was an abortion without Smith.

They will pay him and let Howard go. And probably Devito too, unless he comes on a cheap deal. Poe needs to get paid and Bailey already makes a ton of money for his position/status.

Basically the next two or three seasons is our Super Bowl window. They aren't going to let Smith go when the D needs him so badly. Anyone else, and definitely a rookie, in that spot is gambling when the team is trying to compete.

rabblerouser
02-02-2016, 02:39 PM
The D was an abortion without Smith.

They will pay him and let Howard go. And probably Devito too, unless he comes on a cheap deal. Poe needs to get paid and Bailey already makes a ton of money for his position/status.

Troof.

O.city
02-02-2016, 02:48 PM
The d also had a few of its best players coming back from injury. I think the "ass without Sean smith" rhetoric is a bit overblown.

It was a reason, but not the only one

rabblerouser
02-02-2016, 03:02 PM
The d also had a few of its best players coming back from injury. I think the "ass without Sean smith" rhetoric is a bit overblown.

It was a reason, but not the only one

No...Jamel Phleming still has 3rd degree burns from getting toasted repeatedly while Smith was out.

He was so awful, when Smith came back, we didn't see Phleming again until Danny Amendola blew him up on that punt return in the playoffs.

Sutton would rather play BRANCH, A SS, in the dime than to trot Jamel "Toast" Phleming back out there.

Rausch
02-02-2016, 04:09 PM
Teams can't worry about whether or not a player can stay healthy. The only way to prevent a dropoff due to injury is to draft competent depth, which Dorsey has been doing since he took over the team in 2013.

I pick on Dorsey for a lot but his moves in the secondary have been almost perfect.

And I'd have no problem drafting another CB in the 2nd round or lower.

rabblerouser
02-02-2016, 04:11 PM
I pick on Dorsey for a lot but his moves in the secondary have been almost perfect.

And I'd have no problem drafting another CB in the 2nd round or lower.

I think Dorsey is a fantastic GM.

Problem is, Reid is the same guy he's always been.

DaneMcCloud
02-02-2016, 04:52 PM
I think Dorsey is a fantastic GM.

Problem is, Reid is the same guy he's always been.

I'd like to believe that Reid/Chilly is an improvement over Reid/Pederson.

Time will tell...

saphojunkie
02-02-2016, 05:08 PM
Smith goes, Howard stays, CB and OL in the first two rounds.
I say they'll keep faith in Conley coming along, although I want to see us draft another WR.

Just my prediction, but it makes sense to me.

Pasta Little Brioni
02-02-2016, 05:22 PM
3 year deal and a shit load of money

Sandy Vagina
02-02-2016, 05:26 PM
Smith goes, Howard stays, CB and OL in the first two rounds.
I say they'll keep faith in Conley coming along, although I want to see us draft another WR.

Just my prediction, but it makes sense to me.

With the addendum that Eric Berry stays, yes, I agree with this as being the way it will go.. and should go.

As long as Hali/Ford and Houston are good to go, Sutton shouldn't be such a bitch about his defensive gameplans.

Draft an OT and CB in the first two rounds, if reasonably BPA.. and then look for a talented WR to compete with the others soon after. (unless they sign a suitable vet WR from FA instead)

SAUTO
02-02-2016, 05:33 PM
can Gaines stay healthy?
Nelson has had like 3 decent plays since he because a chief

That's what you're banking on?

brilliant

How many snaps did Nelson play? 5?

Easy 6
02-02-2016, 05:40 PM
While I hate the thought of losing him, the arguments I'm seeing for it are better than those against it.

A smart team that builds for the future, like say, the Steelers, never hesitates to let a guy go when their market value exceeds their value to the team... just hate losing that size, you rarely come across a good corner with his size.

He's akin to a Cam Chancellor, its just so rare to find a huge yet athletic guy like that.

But, Dorsey has been nails with drafting and free agent procurement, so theres no real reason to think he wont find the next great oversized CB.

DaneMcCloud
02-02-2016, 05:48 PM
While I hate the thought of losing him, the arguments I'm seeing for it are better than those against it.

A smart team that builds for the future, like say, the Steelers, never hesitates to let a guy go when their market value exceeds their value to the team... just hate losing that size, you rarely come across a good corner with his size.

He's akin to a Cam Chancellor, its just so rare to find a huge yet athletic guy like that.

But, Dorsey has been nails with drafting and free agent procurement, so theres no real reason to think he wont find the next great oversized CB.

IMO, this would be a much, much tougher decision if he was 25 years old.

But he'll be 29 years old in July and history has shown that the NFL isn't kind to 30 year old cornerbacks.

kccrow
02-02-2016, 05:52 PM
I was looking really hard at Nolan Carroll today and was planning to add him to my Offseason Plan update I'm working on. Planning that he receives a Greg Toler type of deal. 3 years, 15 million, 3 million signing bonus, 6.5 million guaranteed. I'd say that's about his ceiling right now, but he's good enough of a signing to hold the fort, especially if Gaines isn't back to 100% to man the outside. The only part of his plan I disagree with is that you also have to add a 1st round CB. I'd consider drafting a player in rounds 2 to 4 instead, and likely round 3 or 4, to build up in the mean time.

rabblerouser
02-02-2016, 05:54 PM
I'd like to believe that Reid/Chilly is an improvement over Reid/Pederson.

Time will tell...

Was it not Reid/Chili who were the offensive braintrust behind the Philly offense at the end of the Super Bowl against the Patriots??

If so...I'm afraid :Lin:

TigeRRUppeRRcut
02-02-2016, 05:56 PM
Let's be real, our money is better spent at getting a veteran ILB than paying Smith.

How many teams have more than 1 pro bowl receiver on their roster? We can get by with Peters and have capable safeties. We found Smith on a cheap deal and fit him into our system. We shouldn't be overpaying him especially with his lack of motivation and poor judgment off the field.

Let him go to the raiders, I'll betcha anything that Maclin would smoke him 1 on 1.

If Berry walks, we go after Weddle (which I doubt he does). It's that simple.

rabblerouser
02-02-2016, 05:56 PM

But he'll be 29 years old in July and history has shown that the NFL isn't kind to 30 year old cornerbacks.

The only way I keep Sean Smith is if he's franchised.

Either way, I'm making plans to move on without him, so...

rabblerouser
02-02-2016, 05:58 PM
Let's be real, our money is better spent at getting a veteran ILB than paying Smith.

How many teams have more than 1 pro bowl receiver on their roster? We can get by with Peters and have capable safeties. We found Smith on a cheap deal and fit him into our system. We shouldn't be overpaying him especially with his lack of motivation and poor judgment off the field.

Let him go to the raiders, I'll betcha anything that Maclin would smoke him 1 on 1.

Agreed.

But I doubt Berry ever dons a different NFL uniform.

SAUTO
02-02-2016, 06:00 PM

I still can't believe how much you dislike dj...

rabblerouser
02-02-2016, 06:03 PM
I still can't believe how much you dislike dj...

DJ kicks ass, but we need a little more speed at the other ILB spot. We need someone who can knock the slot WR on his ass.

I hate to say this...but we need ILB play like the Broncos have.

Hog's Gone Fishin
02-02-2016, 06:03 PM

The guy seems to be in great shape and has done an outstanding job the last 2 years. Sign him to a 2 year deal and draft his replacement. Reid is big on having 2 good corners.

rabblerouser
02-02-2016, 06:04 PM
The guy seems to be in great shape and has done an outstanding job the last 2 years. Sign him to a 2 year deal and draft his replacement. Reid is big on having 2 good corners.

He's not looking to sign a 2 year deal. He wants the big money.

SAUTO
02-02-2016, 06:05 PM
DJ kicks ass, but we need a little more speed at the other ILB spot. We need someone who can knock the slot WR on his ass.

I hate to say this...but we need ILB play like the Broncos have.

That may be how you feel... My post wasn't directed to you

Rausch
02-02-2016, 06:06 PM

I'm much more worried about scoring pts than I am about allowing them.

I'd really like to add a big play threat at WR. Smith or no Smith this is a short passing offense that relies on YAC. As it is we only have Maclin who's a playmaker.

The good news is we lost to the Pats, @ NE, by 7 pts.

That's without Maclin, without Charles, and with Reid going full-retard the last 7 minutes...

Rausch
02-02-2016, 06:06 PM

Well, bye...

staylor26
02-02-2016, 06:17 PM

I'd really like to add a big play threat at WR. Smith or no Smith this is a short passing offense that relies on YAC. As it is we only have Maclin who's a playmaker.

That's without Maclin, without Charles, and with Reid going full-retard the last 7 minutes...

Let's not forget we were without Houston. I know everybody wants to act like he wouldn't have made a difference with the coverage we were running, but a healthy Houston could make a game changing play at any moment. He's also better in coverage than any of our other OLB's.

Rausch
02-02-2016, 06:19 PM
I know everybody wants to act like he wouldn't have made a difference with the coverage we were running...

I think we were running that coverage because of Houston.

The only logical conclusion I came to was blitzing pathetic pass rushers was less effective than bolstering a solid secondary.

I disagree with it but I can at least understand the thinking behind it...

Easy 6
02-02-2016, 06:21 PM

Yeah, if he's 25 gotta find a way... but chucking the big money at a 30 year old is much different.

pugsnotdrugs19
02-02-2016, 06:25 PM
I've pondered it and pondered it and it's just simple to me. There is no way they are keeping Smith. No way.

We haven't even heard the rumors about them talking about a deal like with Howard at least. Not saying Howard will be back, but it at least means something is taking place.

They can sign one veteran like a Carroll or a Jeremy Lane and draft one CB in the first 4 rounds or so and they are set up just fine. At less than half the price probably.

BossChief
02-02-2016, 07:30 PM

Dorsey has had an amazing eye for secondary talent going all the way back to GB.

I'd love to see Gaines come out healthy and raping faces, but we really need to add to our CBs if they plan on letting Smith walk.

kccrow
02-02-2016, 07:37 PM
I updated my "Offseason Plan" in the draft area. Added Nolan Carroll at CB and Sean Weatherspoon at ILB. Drafted D.J. White out of Georgia Tech in the 4th.

Chiefs CB situations becomes:

M. Peters
N. Carroll
P. Gaines
S. Nelson
D. White

Chiefs ILB situation becomes

D. Johnson (I have him being retained)
S. Weatherspoon
J. Mauga
R. Wilson
J. March (this kid was better than Wilson or Alexander last pre-season until he got hurt)

BossChief
02-02-2016, 07:37 PM

Well, it will be interesting to see if he gets it.

Lots of good CBs in the draft and FA.

I don't think it's out off he realm of possibility that he returns to KC...but a few teams have crazy money to spend.

staylor26
02-02-2016, 07:38 PM
I think we were running that coverage because of Houston.

The only logical conclusion I came to was blitzing pathetic pass rushers was less effective than bolstering a solid secondary.

I disagree with it but I can at least understand the thinking behind it...

I agree with everything you said.

Saccopoo
02-02-2016, 07:42 PM
I updated my "Offseason Plan" in the draft area. Added Nolan Carroll at CB and Sean Weatherspoon at ILB. Drafted D.J. White out of Georgia Tech in the 4th.

Chiefs CB situations becomes:

M. Peters
N. Carroll
P. Gaines
S. Nelson
D. White

Chiefs ILB situation becomes

D. Johnson (I have him being retained)
S. Weatherspoon
J. Mauga
R. Wilson
J. March (this kid was better than Wilson or Alexander last pre-season until he got hurt)

March is a pipe dream. Everyone looks great in the summer camp and preseason. Remember Jon Baldwin and every other dude that didn't amount to jack squat? The guy was a fucking safety in college for christ's sake. He's small as shit (6', 220 lb.) and he's going to get run over. Mauga is the slowest linebacker in the entire NFL and that is going to hurt you and Wilson is just a clone of Mauga (who doesn't take on blocks as well). If Wilson couldn't even come close to taking reps away from Mauga, what does that tell you?

You can't bank on any of these guys other than Johnson at this point.

kccrow
02-02-2016, 07:46 PM
March is a pipe dream. Everyone looks great in the summer camp and preseason. Remember Jon Baldwin and every other dude that didn't amount to jack squat? The guy was a fucking safety in college for christ's sake. He's small as shit (6', 220 lb.) and he's going to get run over. Mauga is the slowest linebacker in the entire NFL and that is going to hurt you and Wilson is just a clone of Mauga (who doesn't take on blocks as well). If Wilson couldn't even come close to taking reps away from Mauga, what does that tell you?

You can't bank on any of these guys other than Johnson at this point.

I'm not "banking on them." I have the Chiefs retaining March as the 5th ILB, which may or may not even happen (normally 4). March looked the best out of the 3 rookies in preseason.

I have the Chiefs signing Weatherspoon to upgrade at ILB.

As for the draft, outside of the "first round" guys (Jack, Smith, Ragland, Lee, and I'll add Wright as a long-shot maybe), not a single linebacker in the draft looks any better than what KC picked up last year. Alot of "meh," which is why we might see another early run on the top guys.

smith11
02-03-2016, 02:16 AM
Trumaine Johnson is a free agent and a big corner in the smith mold...but I would prefer to franchise Smith...don't see any rookie corner in chiefs draft reach that can replace him next year

rabblerouser
02-03-2016, 05:11 AM
Trumaine Johnson is a free agent and a big corner in the smith mold...but I would prefer to franchise Smith...don't see any rookie corner in chiefs draft reach that can replace him next year

Franchising him buys you another year to figure out how to replace him.

milkman
02-03-2016, 08:55 AM

Defense wins championships.

No one should ever be more concerned about scoring pts than allowing them.

I had never really noticed how wrong you are about every thing until this last year.

Holy hell, how can one manage to never be right about anything?

milkman
02-03-2016, 08:57 AM

This, for example.

I mean, you can not be serious.

RunKC
02-03-2016, 09:33 AM
Jeremy Lane. He's the next Sean Smith. Same speed, system, he's 6ft tall. 25 years old.

Offer him a $6m avg contract.

pugsnotdrugs19
02-03-2016, 11:21 AM
We don't need another year to figure out how to replace Smith. No.

It's called Marcus Peters, Phillip Gaines, Steven Nelson, Jeremy Lane(?), Nolan Carroll(?), draft pick.

In 2014 we were starting Fleming on the regular and doing well on defense. We will be okay without Smith.

rabblerouser
02-03-2016, 11:39 AM

It's called Marcus Peters, Phillip Gaines, Steven Nelson, Jeremy Lane(?), Nolan Carroll(?), draft pick.

In 2014 we were starting Fleming on the regular and doing well on defense. We will be okay without Smith.

In 2016, it's simply impossible to have enough able bodies in the defensive backfield, ESPECIALLY big, fast CBs.

Mr. Laz
02-03-2016, 12:26 PM
How many snaps did Nelson play? 5?
actually he played some special teams too

the issue is that we don't know what Nelson is, you can't declare him a key player if you have no idea what he can do.

Mr. Laz
02-03-2016, 12:29 PM

you're on crack

Marcus Peters in 2nd year
Gaines coming off injury
Nelson coming off of nothing
Fleming is ass
Cooper is ass

That's a potentially huge pile of suck

pugsnotdrugs19
02-03-2016, 12:29 PM
In 2016, it's simply impossible to have enough able bodies in the defensive backfield, ESPECIALLY big, fast CBs.

Yeah but you can't keep them at the demise of every other position because of what it could do to your cap situation.

rabblerouser
02-03-2016, 12:30 PM
you're on crack

Gaines coming off injury
Fleming is ass
Cooper is ass

That's potentially huge pile of suck

So much this.

rabblerouser
02-03-2016, 12:32 PM
Yeah but you can't keep them at the demise of every other position because of what it could do to your cap situation.

1 year, while he's still a prime NFL CB??

He's worth the avg of the top 5 at his position in 2016.

pugsnotdrugs19
02-03-2016, 12:33 PM
you're on crack

Gaines coming off injury
Fleming is ass
Cooper is ass

That's potentially huge pile of suck

Cornerbacks don't need experience to be dominant. Sherman, Revis. Peterson, all those types of guys were elite in their 2nd year. Gaines has been great pre-injury and how many guys don't make a full recovery these days? Where did I say Fleming or Cooper would make the roster?

By your philosophy you are essentially saying it's pointless to draft corners cause you don't know what they will do.

No shit buddy. You draft with the idea that they can play.

Mr. Laz
02-03-2016, 12:35 PM
Cornerbacks don't need experience to be dominant. Sherman, Revis. Peterson, all those types of guys were elite in their 2nd year. Gaines has been great pre-injury and how many guys don't make a full recovery these days? Where did I say Fleming or Cooper would make the roster?

By your philosophy you are essentially saying it's pointless to draft corners cause you don't know what they will do.

That's all great in theory but if ANYTHING goes wrong, our entire season is screwed. Sutton's defense is a pile of shit without strong corner play.

Apparently you are willing to risk the entire season on a draft pick

The Franchise
02-03-2016, 12:35 PM

Outside of Peters, Fisher and Morse....who has Dorsey drafted that could step in week 1 and be adequate?

DaneMcCloud
02-03-2016, 12:38 PM
Outside of Peters, Fisher and Morse....who has Dorsey drafted that could step in week 1 and be adequate?

Kelce, save for the bone bruise, DAT, save for the high ankle sprain, Fulton, O'Shaughnessy.

I still don't understand why Ramik Wilson wasn't a Day One starter over Mauga.

Knile Davis had a productive rookie season. He'd have been the starter if not for JC.

Mr. Laz
02-03-2016, 12:38 PM
Dorsey doesn't seen to draft for immediacy

You could argue that Fisher shouldn't of played immediately.

That leaves Morse and Peters.

Chiefs didn't have a choice with Peters and i would rather not do that again.

pugsnotdrugs19
02-03-2016, 12:39 PM

That's pretty subjective. I've seen Dee Ford play really well and pretty terrible. Gaines is pretty good. Fulton and LDT are 'adequate' I would think. Conley had 70 yards and a TD in his first start.

Our definitions of adequate are off.

pugsnotdrugs19
02-03-2016, 12:43 PM
You guys are essentially saying that we completely wasted the Nelson and Gaines picks. I mean, why play them if they haven't played much to date, right?

They were drafted in the 3rd to play and eventually start. Everyone knew Nelson wasn't going to play much this year. Gaines got hurt. Shit happens. But they can go into the offseason with Peters, Gaines, Nelson, a guy like Jeremy Lane or Trumaine Johnson, and another top 3 round pick and be in fine shape. At half the cost.

Mr. Laz
02-03-2016, 12:44 PM
That's pretty subjective. I've seen Dee Ford play really well and pretty terrible. Gaines is pretty good. Fulton and LDT are 'adequate' I would think. Conley had 70 yards and a TD in his first start.

Our definitions of adequate are off.
You definition of adequate is off with yourself.

you are talking about role players etc compared to throwing a guy out there to start on an island

huge difference, Peters is a rare cat

LDT probably shouldn't have been starting this entire time
Fulton should be a center and he's been helping out at guard

Morse has been a quality starter from Day 1.

Dee ford didn't really do crap in his first year.

pugsnotdrugs19
02-03-2016, 12:47 PM
Just want to point out that Sherman was a 5th round pick who didn't play a lot his rookie year either. Im not saying we have a Sherman in Gaines or Nelson, we don't, but is it really fair to judge them yet?

Mr. Laz
02-03-2016, 12:47 PM
You guys are essentially saying that we completely wasted the Nelson and Gaines picks. I mean, why play them if they haven't played much to date, right?

They were drafted in the 3rd to play and eventually start. Everyone knew Nelson wasn't going to play much this year. Gaines got hurt. Shit happens. But they can go into the offseason with Peters, Gaines, Nelson, a guy like Jeremy Lane or Trumaine Johnson, and another top 3 round pick and be in fine shape. At half the cost.
No, we aren't saying that.

There is a huge gap between a Wasted pick and starting a draftee at corner on Day 1.

No way to i want to slot Nelson as our starting corner next year but that doesn't mean he won't develop into a starter.

Mr. Laz
02-03-2016, 12:51 PM
Just want to point out that Sherman was a 5th round pick who didn't play a lot his rookie year either. Im not saying we have a Sherman in Gaines or Nelson, we don't, but is it really fair to judge them yet?

dude, seriously?

You don't see that there is gigantic difference between having a guy work his way into a starting job compared to just giving a guy the starting guy because you have no choice?

pugsnotdrugs19
02-03-2016, 12:57 PM
dude, seriously?

You don't see that there is gigantic difference between having a guy work his way into a starting job compared to just giving a guy the starting guy because you have no choice?

And you don't see where I said above that we would sign a guy like Jeremy Lane or Trumaine Johnson or Nolan Carroll?

Cause I did say that. And that would be the other starter. But there's no reason to just dish out huge bills to Smith when they've already been building the depth up. They can sign one or two of those guys, draft a guy maybe, and be completely fine.

I can't state this enough. Our CB2 was a revolving door in 2014. It was Fleming, Gaines, Cooper. We had Chris Owens in the slot. We were still good defensively. It's not the end of the world to start Gaines and one of those other FAs or even Nelson.

RunKC
02-03-2016, 01:06 PM
I'd be for getting Lane and draft a guy. Marcus Cooper sucks and we need depth.

Hell maybe get Reid's draft pick Brandon Boykin in here too. 25 years old.

staylor26
02-03-2016, 01:12 PM
I'd be for getting Lane and draft a guy. Marcus Cooper sucks and we need depth.

Hell maybe get Reid's draft pick Brandon Boykin in here too. 25 years old.

This is all we really need along with Peters/Gaines/Nelson. Just get a veteran and draft another for insurance and let the situation work itself out through competition.

pugsnotdrugs19
02-03-2016, 01:30 PM
This is all we really need along with Peters/Gaines/Nelson. Just get a veteran and draft another for insurance and let the situation work itself out through competition.

Thank you:clap:

DaneMcCloud
02-03-2016, 01:34 PM

What has Nelson shown that he should even be in the conversation?

RunKC
02-03-2016, 01:40 PM

He played some snaps last year and did fairly well. He's already an upgrade over Fleming and Cooper.

He also held his own on Hopkins 1v1. He's gonna get more time next year.

The Franchise
02-03-2016, 01:41 PM
He played some snaps last year and did fairly well. He's already an upgrade over Fleming and Cooper.

He held his own against Hopkins on like 2 snaps. It's not like he covered him the entire fucking game.

RunKC
02-03-2016, 01:46 PM
He held his own against Hopkins on like 2 snaps. It's not like he covered him the entire ****ing game.

That doesn't mean he can't be good. Everyone said this same shit about Fisher and Kelce and now they're very good.

Player development. The guy was a late 3rd rd pick. Give it some time and see what he does with more PT

DaneMcCloud
02-03-2016, 01:47 PM

Steven Nelson played 53 snaps all season long defensively, less than 5% of the total defensive snaps.

I'm not claiming that he's "awful" or can't be a starter in the league because with so little playing time, it's difficult to make any prediction.

Penciling him as a starter seems extremely premature, IMO.

The Franchise
02-03-2016, 01:48 PM
That doesn't mean he can't be good. Everyone said this same shit about Fisher and Kelce and now they're very good.

Player development. The guy was a late 3rd rd pick. Give it some time and see what he does with more PT

And that doesn't mean that he'll turn out to be shit either. JFC.

Remember Marcus Cooper? He played decent and everyone screamed that we had a steal. Now he's fucking horrible and everyone wants him cut.

pugsnotdrugs19
02-03-2016, 01:49 PM
I swear some of you have no concept of how this whole development thing works.

Why don't we bring Emmitt Thomas out of retirement,
I mean we know he could play so he has to be an upgrade over Nelson right?

It's just crazy to me. The coaches know if he can play or not and they are going to make decisions that correlate with that. But to act like he can't be a #4 corner at worst going forward is just too much.

O.city
02-03-2016, 01:52 PM
Not everyone develops. Nelson played like 8 snaps this year. Have no clue what he will be next year at this point.

staylor26
02-03-2016, 01:53 PM

He held his own against Hopkins on like 2 snaps. It's not like he covered him the entire ****ing game.

Nelson was essentially redshirted this year to give him time to learn how to play the nickel position. I was a huge fan of the pick and Nelson, so maybe that's why I have more confidence in his development than you guys.

It says something though that the coaching staff put him out there in the playoff game instead of Flemming. I know I know, anything is better than Flemming, but still...

DaneMcCloud
02-03-2016, 01:55 PM
I swear some of you have no concept of how this whole development thing works.

Why don't we bring Emmitt Thomas out of retirement,
I mean we know he could play so he has to be an upgrade over Nelson right?

It's just crazy to me. The coaches know if he can play or not and they are going to make decisions that correlate with that. But to act like he can't be a #4 corner at worst going forward is just too much.

Well in 2015, the coaches obviously didn't think he could "play" because he only received 53 defensive snaps all season.

Marcus Cooper had 94, Jamell Fleming 149, Sean Smith 835, Marcus Peters 1,036.

To unequivocally state that he's the #4 cornerback at this point is premature.

DaneMcCloud
02-03-2016, 01:58 PM
Not everyone develops. Nelson played like 8 snaps this year. Have no clue what he will be next year at this point.

53, but yeah, exactly.

Of course everyone hopes he develops into a solid starter but at this point, that's impossible to determine.

staylor26
02-03-2016, 01:59 PM
53, but yeah, exactly.

Of course everyone hopes he develops into a solid starter but at this point, that's impossible to determine.

Which is exactly why I said you sign a vet and draft another for insurance. Let the competition solve the depth chart questions.

Mr. Laz
02-03-2016, 01:59 PM
And you don't see where I said above that we would sign a guy like Jeremy Lane or Trumaine Johnson or Nolan Carroll?

Cause I did say that. And that would be the other starter. But there's no reason to just dish out huge bills to Smith when they've already been building the depth up. They can sign one or two of those guys, draft a guy maybe, and be completely fine.

I can't state this enough. Our CB2 was a revolving door in 2014. It was Fleming, Gaines, Cooper. We had Chris Owens in the slot. We were still good defensively. It's not the end of the world to start Gaines and one of those other FAs or even Nelson.

as long as sign a quality replacement for Smith and don't pull an Emmanuel Sanders

RunKC
02-03-2016, 02:03 PM
Nelson was essentially redshirted this year to give him time to learn how to play the nickel position. I was a huge fan of the pick and Nelson, so maybe that's why I have more confidence in his development than you guys.

It says something though that the coaching staff put him out there in the playoff game instead of Flemming. I know I know, anything is better than Flemming, but still...

This right here. By the end of the year he was ahead of Cooper and Fleming on the depth chart.

He seemed to be a solid prospect with his nice speed, quickness and confidence.

He got the LDT treatment and redshirted. I think he has the skills to be our #3 CB but time will tell.
It was clear that they needed to develop a CB to take over for Chris Owens and Jamel Fleming. I think he'll get that role next year.

RealSNR
02-03-2016, 03:55 PM
you're on crack

Gaines coming off injury
Fleming is ass
Cooper is ass

That's a potentially huge pile of suck

Can't you at least wait until the NFL offseason begins before you start bitching?

Christ. We're going to replace Smith with SOMEBODY. Free agency is coming up. The draft is coming up.

RealSNR
02-03-2016, 03:57 PM

Cairo Santos :evil:

Mr. Laz
02-03-2016, 04:22 PM
Can't you at least wait until the NFL offseason begins before you start bitching?

Christ. We're going to replace Smith with SOMEBODY. Free agency is coming up. The draft is coming up.
this coming from the guy who bitches non-stop everyday, all day.

LMAO

RealSNR
02-03-2016, 06:36 PM
this coming from the guy who bitches non-stop everyday, all day.

LMAO

Bitch gets caught bitching red bitch handed. His reply?

"No YOU'RE the bitch!"

Saccopoo
02-03-2016, 06:48 PM

Kelce to Minnesota for Xavier Rhodes would be a good start.

The Franchise
02-03-2016, 06:50 PM
Kelce to Minnesota for Xavier Rhodes would be a good start.

Keep humping that dream.

Saccopoo
02-03-2016, 06:57 PM
Keep humping that dream.

http://img.pandawhale.com/41254-Scarlett-Johansson-Minka-Kelly-Exmt.gif

(Featuring the celebrity foursome of Minka Kelly, Jessica Biel, Jessica Alba and the incomparable Scarlett Johansson for a little cross thread action.)

CrossCheck
02-03-2016, 07:22 PM
From arrowheadaddict

3. Jeremy Lane

Here is another Seattle Seahawks contributor who is worth a serious look. Seattle would love to keep Lane, but it has 30 free agents and not a ton of cap space. There is a very good chance that he walks, and if he does, the Chiefs should be on the phone with his agent immediately. Lane is only 25 years old and can play in the slot or the outside. He gives Kansas City great versatility in the secondary, something that Dorsey covets.

In addition, Lane has shown to be a difference-maker. When Lane broke his arm in Super Bowl XLIX, the Seahawks could no longer stop the New England Patriots. Last year, while Lane was still recovering from his broken arm, the Legion of Boom was severely compromised. Once he returned and the Seahawks cut Cary Williams, the defense took off again.

Lane would be a great move for Dorsey because he could handle the slot and allow Phillip Gaines to take the place of Sean Smith, should he leave. If Gaines goes down, Lane could shift to the outside and Ron Parker could drop into the slot. At 6-foot-0 and 190 pounds, Lane gives the Chiefs some nice size in the slot and would be adequate on the perimeter. Dorsey should make him one of his top targets.

Contract offer: 5 years, $25 million ($13M guaranteed)

RunKC
02-03-2016, 08:09 PM
From arrowheadaddict

3. Jeremy Lane

Here is another Seattle Seahawks contributor who is worth a serious look. Seattle would love to keep Lane, but it has 30 free agents and not a ton of cap space. There is a very good chance that he walks, and if he does, the Chiefs should be on the phone with his agent immediately. Lane is only 25 years old and can play in the slot or the outside. He gives Kansas City great versatility in the secondary, something that Dorsey covets.

In addition, Lane has shown to be a difference-maker. When Lane broke his arm in Super Bowl XLIX, the Seahawks could no longer stop the New England Patriots. Last year, while Lane was still recovering from his broken arm, the Legion of Boom was severely compromised. Once he returned and the Seahawks cut Cary Williams, the defense took off again.

Lane would be a great move for Dorsey because he could handle the slot and allow Phillip Gaines to take the place of Sean Smith, should he leave. If Gaines goes down, Lane could shift to the outside and Ron Parker could drop into the slot. At 6-foot-0 and 190 pounds, Lane gives the Chiefs some nice size in the slot and would be adequate on the perimeter. Dorsey should make him one of his top targets.

Contract offer: 5 years, $25 million ($13M guaranteed)

Been saying this for a month now. This guy is the next Sean Smith.

Get him, Dorsey

TigeRRUppeRRcut
02-03-2016, 08:33 PM
Our pass defense was pretty solid even before Marcus Peters arrived. The biggest area we need to improve in still is the run defense and stopping quick slants, short passes, bubble screens. We need to find a kuechly/bowman/wagner type.

staylor26
02-03-2016, 08:36 PM
Our pass defense was pretty solid even before Marcus Peters arrived. The biggest area we need to improve in still is the run defense and stopping quick slants, short passes, bubble screens. We need to find a kuechly/bowman/wagner type.

Deion Jones, LSU

WeathermanKumke
02-03-2016, 09:53 PM
Jeremy Lane. Throw him a good contract. He can play against the slot man, has good range and size, and plays every down.

cdcox
02-03-2016, 11:07 PM

I'm not in favor of signing Smith, but WTF? ILB? Why not go all the way with long snapper?

DaneMcCloud
02-03-2016, 11:12 PM
I'm not in favor of signing Smith, but WTF? ILB? Why not go all the way with long snapper?

An elite ILB with coverage skills would go much further than a 29 year old cornerback that's already been suspended twice by the NFL.

cdcox
02-03-2016, 11:21 PM
An elite ILB with coverage skills would go much further than a 29 year old cornerback that's already been suspended twice by the NFL.

2015 Defense - Smith - Mauga + JAG corner + elite ILB < 2015 defense

The Chiefs are at the point where they need to make roster moves specifically to beat the best in the teams in the conference. We need to let Smith walk and add 2 serviceable press corners (maybe one of those is Gaines) before we even think about an upgrade at ILB. ILBs are one of the positions that leave the field when you go to nickle and dime. And against the Patriots, we should be running those formations every down, with at most one ILB on the field.

I also think that a #2 WR is much more important than ILB.

Quesadilla Joe
02-03-2016, 11:23 PM

Danny Trevathan will be a free agent next year. I doubt the Chiefs could afford him though because Chicago and Oakland will probably be all over him.

DaneMcCloud
02-03-2016, 11:25 PM
2015 Defense - Smith - Mauga + JAG corner + elite ILB < 2015 defense

The Chiefs are at the point where they need to make roster moves specifically to beat the best in the teams in the conference. We need to let Smith walk and add 2 serviceable press corners (maybe one of those is Gaines) before we even think about an upgrade at ILB. ILBs are one of the positions that leave the field when you go to nickle and dime. And against the Patriots, we should be running those formations every down, with at most one ILB on the field.

I completely disagree.

If you watch Seattle (which I do) you'll see that athletic ILB's can disrupt crossing and wheel routes with ease. They jam them before 5 yards, throw off the timing and allow the defensive line and OLB's to cause pressure, which in turn allows the Legion of Boom to cover effectively.

Mauga is dogshit, DJ has hands of stone and is 33 years old. If the Chiefs had young, athletic ILBer's that can disrupt lanes and cover TE's, the importance for an "elite" CB diminishes significantly.

The Broncos have a nifty set of ILB'ers, too.

cdcox
02-03-2016, 11:36 PM
I completely disagree.

If you watch Seattle (which I do) you'll see that athletic ILB's can disrupt crossing and wheel routes with ease. They jam them before 5 yards, throw off the timing and allow the defensive line and OLB's to cause pressure, which in turn allows the Legion of Boom to cover effectively.

Mauga is dogshit, DJ has hands of stone and is 33 years old. If the Chiefs had young, athletic ILBer's that can disrupt lanes and cover TE's, the importance for an "elite" CB diminishes significantly.

The Broncos have a nifty set of ILB'ers, too.

Denver has 3 strong corners.

Seattle has one elite corner and another better than average corner. if you throw a JAG out there at corner, anything you gain from busting up wheel routes and crosses you will lose on out patterns and deep balls.

Saccopoo
02-03-2016, 11:50 PM

Seattle has one elite corner and another better than average corner. if you throw a JAG out there at corner, anything you gain from busting up wheel routes and crosses you will lose on out patterns and deep balls.

See Jamal Fleming in the first quarter of the 2015 season.

Sutton's defense is predicated on having two solid (read very good) press man corners.

People think that Smith is immediately replaceable?

He's not. Not in this system. And there is nothing else on this team that is capable of being that guy on the edge if Smith leaves.

So, the Chiefs have four options:

1. Resign Smith.
- He knows the system. People keep saying "he's 29, blah, blah, blah" whatever. He has been a stud for this team for the past two seasons. You saw what this defense was like without him.

2. Sign a free agent.
- How many guys are out there that are going to work effectively in this system?

3. Trade for a player.
- I won't go into how Xavier Rhodes would be a god in this system, but he would.

http://www.reactiongifs.com/r/Scarlett-Johansson-hobo-yoga.gif

4. Draft a CB.
- Trust Dorsey to hit the home run again like he did with Peters.

TigeRRUppeRRcut
02-04-2016, 03:59 AM

Seattle's defense is excellent in the 0-15 yard range thanks to Wagner and Bruce Irvin. Fast, highly destructive players.

Sandy Vagina
02-04-2016, 05:06 AM
Steven Nelson played 53 snaps all season long defensively, less than 5% of the total defensive snaps.

I'm not claiming that he's "awful" or can't be a starter in the league because with so little playing time, it's difficult to make any prediction.

Penciling him as a starter seems extremely premature, IMO.

This is what it boils down to. The outside fans that we are, we can't see or know whether these kids improve at all each week in practice.

Fans love to throw out ideas for acquisitions and what is best for their teams. They love to state that the young backups already on the roster have a great chance or have no real chance in the near future. G'bless them and forums for allowing such baseless hunches.. but basically, we don't know much.. because we don't have inside access to watch these players develop behind the scenes.

.. and Mauga, I gave a lot of shit to last season, but he really stepped up to be much more of a positive than negative this season. He, DJ, and the young unprovens already on the roster might just be enough at ILB.

Sean Smith is a solid CB, but by no means without flaws and failures. With this front 7 (HEALTHY).. and with Berry/Peters/Parker/etc.. if the D can't hold their high play together because of Sean's departure? Holy shit.. that's just ****ing sad. Could Sutton be SO horrid as a DC that he needs "perfection" at every single defensive spot?

TigeRRUppeRRcut
02-14-2016, 07:31 PM
Re-watched the Pats / Chiefs playoff game. Sean Smith got smoked on a lot of plays. He also looked like crap in that Cincy game earlier this year. I'm convinced his best days are behind him and right now, Marcus peters is our #1. I'd happily take my chances on a guy like Jeremy Lane for half the price and is a much better tackler.

I hope Dorsey allocates the extra money to an impact linebacker

New World Order
02-14-2016, 07:32 PM
It's sad when you're such a big fan of a quarterback that needs an elite defense to actually win.

:(

Mr. Laz
02-14-2016, 07:52 PM
It's sad when you're such a big fan of a quarterback that needs an elite defense to actually win.

Agreed /Denver Fans

Mr. Laz
02-14-2016, 07:56 PM
:rolleyes:

kccrow
02-14-2016, 08:02 PM
Could Sutton be SO horrid as a DC that he needs "perfection" at every single defensive spot?

I'm beginning to wonder if that may have more truth to it than not.

TigeRRUppeRRcut
02-14-2016, 08:44 PM
:rolleyes:

Pretty solid, very good, and elite are 3 different things.

TigeRRUppeRRcut
02-14-2016, 08:44 PM

How was your weekend, Clay?

New World Order
02-14-2016, 09:32 PM
I'm just curious: what is your fascination with Alex? Why do you like him so much?

The Franchise
02-14-2016, 09:32 PM
Re-watched the Pats / Chiefs playoff game. Sean Smith got smoked on a lot of plays. He also looked like crap in that Cincy game earlier this year. I'm convinced his best days are behind him and right now, Marcus peters is our #1. I'd happily take my chances on a guy like Jeremy Lane for half the price and is a much better tackler.

An impact LB like Siler?

New World Order
02-14-2016, 09:34 PM

If they really want to emulate Denver on D then they need to draft a good corner and sign or draft a fast MLB in the second round that can cover.

Follow that up with a good slot corner and they're almost there.

DaneMcCloud
02-14-2016, 09:34 PM

Go away.

Seriously, get the fuck out.

You 49ers converts are 1,000 times worse than the Patriots converts.

Discuss Thrower
02-14-2016, 09:35 PM
I'm just curious: what is your fascination with Alex? Why do you like him so much?

Because he's just such a gosh darn nice guy and a smart, team player to boot.

ChiefGator
02-15-2016, 09:21 AM
See Jamal Fleming in the first quarter of the 2015 season.

Sutton's defense is predicated on having two solid (read very good) press man corners.

People think that Smith is immediately replaceable?

He's not. Not in this system. And there is nothing else on this team that is capable of being that guy on the edge if Smith leaves.

So, the Chiefs have four options:

1. Resign Smith.
- He knows the system. People keep saying "he's 29, blah, blah, blah" whatever. He has been a stud for this team for the past two seasons. You saw what this defense was like without him.

2. Sign a free agent.
- How many guys are out there that are going to work effectively in this system?

3. Trade for a player.
- I won't go into how Xavier Rhodes would be a god in this system, but he would.

http://www.reactiongifs.com/r/Scarlett-Johansson-hobo-yoga.gif

4. Draft a CB.
- Trust Dorsey to hit the home run again like he did with Peters.

Somehow, I just can't get through reading this post..

RealSNR
02-15-2016, 10:18 AM
How was your weekend, Clay?

Quit acting like people are on your side, Bob.

pugsnotdrugs19
02-15-2016, 11:55 AM
NFL Network's Rand Gettlin reports that the salary cap will be AT LEAST 155 million this year. More than expected slightly.

EDIT: This puts KC probably around 31 million in space, per OTC.

Discuss Thrower
02-15-2016, 02:43 PM
Given that Murray and Bray haven't shown anything that warrants consideration as prospective startin QBs, Smith is the unquestioned starter throughout the rest of his contract. Hate to say it, but they might as well extend his deal two years through 2020.

Given my limited knowledge of how deals are structured, it seems reasonable to give Alex a $1MM "raise" over his current $19.2MM guaranteed deal by doing this:

2016: $1MM guaranteed, $125K workout, $6.22MM prorated bonuses.
2017: $2MM guaranteed, $1MM roster, $125K workout, $6.22MM prorated bonuses.
2018: $4MM guaranteed, $3.75MM roster, $125K workout, $6.22MM prorated bonuses
2019: $5MM guaranteed, $3.75MM roster, $125K workout, $2.62MM prorated bonuses (-$9MM in dead money to cap savings differential)
2020: $7MM no guarantees, no bonuses ($4.38MM in dead money to cap savings).

This would jump the cap to $43.8 million in space with OTC projecting a $157 million cap for KC.

ChiefAshhole1056
02-15-2016, 03:08 PM
Just franchise Smith and draft his replacement in the first few rounds. Seems like the best move both short and long term. And his price will be lower next year being a 30 year old CB, so then you can even open up talks for an extension again.

Mr. Laz
02-15-2016, 06:55 PM
NFL Network's Rand Gettlin reports that the salary cap will be AT LEAST 155 million this year. More than expected slightly.

EDIT: This puts KC probably around 31 million in space, per OTC.
Doesn't make any difference how high they raise the cap.

It's like inflation, everything goes up so you're still in the same place compared to everyone else.

More cap space just means the cost of all the FAs go up because everyone has more room.

In fact i would say a higher salary cap ceiling is bad for smaller markets because they usually have less real cash to spend.

pugsnotdrugs19
02-15-2016, 06:57 PM
Doesn't make any difference how high they raise the cap.

It's like inflation, everything goes up so you're still in the same place compared to everyone else.

More cap space just means the cost of all the FAs go up because everyone has more room.

In fact i would say a higher salary cap ceiling is bad for smaller markets because they usually have less real cash to spend.

Ehh. Regardless of where the cap is, teams use other players contracts as guidelines for new deals. That's not going to change.

Mr. Laz
02-15-2016, 07:00 PM
Just franchise Smith and draft his replacement in the first few rounds. Seems like the best move both short and long term. And his price will be lower next year being a 30 year old CB, so then you can even open up talks for an extension again.
might be the best move

tag him and draft several CB's this year so that next year we have more options to replace him.

although CB's have a really high tag number so we'll have to structure other contracts to make up for it this year.

Estimated tag $$

http://113.imagebam.com/download/r8JCy2hLgZCspN7BGU6UdA/46551/465502400/k.JPG

Mr. Laz
02-15-2016, 07:03 PM
Ehh. Regardless of where the cap is, teams use other players contracts as guidelines for new deals. That's not going to change.
yes, it does change.

more cap room leads to higher numbers for that year usually. Sometimes teams are disciplined about it, but often times not.

Higher cap numbers means more teams in the bidding for a player, leading to a higher number for the Chiefs to have to beat.

BossChief
02-15-2016, 07:30 PM
Dorsey will find the next Sean Smith if we can't re-sign him for an amount that makes sense.

BossChief
02-15-2016, 07:47 PM
According to ESPN, the franchise tag for a CB would cost 14.8m.

http://espn.go.com/blog/nflnation/post/_/id/198247/retaining-their-own-free-agents-will-be-pricey-for-chiefs

Sorter
02-15-2016, 07:58 PM
An impact LB like Siler?

LMAO

ChiefAshhole1056
02-16-2016, 12:11 AM
According to ESPN, the franchise tag for a CB would cost 14.8m.

http://espn.go.com/blog/nflnation/post/_/id/198247/retaining-their-own-free-agents-will-be-pricey-for-chiefs

That's rough...

DaneMcCloud
02-16-2016, 12:12 AM
If they really want to emulate Denver on D then they need to draft a good corner and sign or draft a fast MLB in the second round that can cover.

Because Denver drafted their corners?

Wildcat2005
02-16-2016, 09:17 AM
Because Denver drafted their corners?

Talib was the only big name FA they signed
The rest were draft picks (Roby, Webster, Bolden)
Or UDFA (Harris), which are college players that were still scouted

RunKC
02-19-2016, 02:05 PM
Everyone can forget about Trumaine Johnson. Rams just cut Chris Long, Jamws Laurinaitis and Jared Cook. All top paid players.

$36.7m in cap space just went to about $52m.

staylor26
02-19-2016, 02:11 PM
Everyone can forget about Trumaine Johnson. Rams just cut Chris Long, Jamws Laurinaitis and Jared Cook. All top paid players.

I thought they'd re-sign him either way, but this might keep Jenkins off the market too. Sucks.

Sorter
02-19-2016, 02:12 PM
http://rack.0.mshcdn.com/media/ZgkyMDEzLzA2LzEyLzY2L0phY2tOaWNob2xzLjIxZTBhLmdpZgpwCXRodW1iCTEyMDB4OTYwMD4/a7087029/e2b/Jack-Nicholson.gif

BossChief
02-19-2016, 02:33 PM
No, we aren't saying that.

There is a huge gap between a Wasted pick and starting a draftee at corner on Day 1.

No way to i want to slot Nelson as our starting corner next year but that doesn't mean he won't develop into a starter.

Gaines is an outside guy with Nelson being the slot guy.

I'm interested to see how much of a priority Dorsey sees CB when SS leaves.

How highly he drafts a CB probably shows how much confidence he has in Gaines/Nelson.

The Franchise
02-19-2016, 02:40 PM

I'll forget about him when it's announced that he signed a deal with the Rams.

staylor26
02-19-2016, 02:43 PM
Gaines is an outside guy with Nelson being the slot guy.

I'm interested to see how much of a priority Dorsey sees CB when SS leaves.

How highly he drafts a CB probably shows how much confidence he has in Gaines/Nelson.

Nelson looked pretty good in the few snaps he had in the Texans game. Wasn't much, but it was against a top 5 WR. It's also telling that they put him out there instead of Flemming.

RunKC
02-19-2016, 03:03 PM
This regime has done a great job of developing young players to become very good players. We saw that once again this season with Fisher, LDT, Morse and Fulton making our OL perform well in the last 14 games.

Conley, Nick Williams, Nelson, Wilson, March, O'Shaughnessy.

I expect to see some of these guys become good players next year.

staylor26
02-19-2016, 03:04 PM
This regime has done a great job of developing young players to become very good players. We saw that once again this season with Fisher, LDT, Morse and Fulton making our OL perform well in the last 14 games.

Conley, Nick Williams, Nelson, Wilson, March, O'Shaughnessy.

I expect to see some of these guys become good players next year.

Yup. I'd add Ford to that list as well. Playing across from Houston alone will make him better IMO.