PDA

View Full Version : Funny Stuff Coffee filters are a great value and Springfield rocks.

HemiEd
02-06-2016, 05:16 PM
Really, they have to be and Springfield is a very nice town.

Discuss

Easy 6
02-06-2016, 05:25 PM
I have a bone to pick with coffee filters.

I would prefer to buy the non-bleached filters because I do believe you end up getting trace amounts of the bleaching agent in your coffee.

But the unbleached filters are atleast 3x higher priced... shouldnt they be less expensive since not bleaching them would make production cheaper? They dont have to use bleach and they dont have to take the extra step in production.

Sassy Squatch
02-06-2016, 05:29 PM

I would prefer to buy the non-bleached filters because I do believe you end up getting trace amounts of the bleaching agent in your coffee.

But the unbleached filters are atleast 3x higher priced... shouldnt they be less expensive since not bleaching them would make production cheaper? They dont have to use bleach and they dont have to take the extra step in production.
I guess it's the same logic as organic vs non organic? Maybe its harder to make correctly.

Bugeater
02-06-2016, 05:30 PM
I've only been to Springfield a couple times but I enjoyed both visits. Would visit again.

And my life would suck without coffee filters.

Easy 6
02-06-2016, 05:33 PM
I guess it's the same logic as organic vs non organic? Maybe its harder to make correctly.

My guess has always been that they know most people wanting to make the healthier choice will pay more for the healthier product.

But the price is so out of whack that I'll just go ahead and drink my bleach water.

HemiEd
02-06-2016, 05:37 PM
I've only been to Springfield a couple times but I enjoyed both visits. Would visit again.

Pretty darn well laid out city in my opinion. Easy to get around and lots of diversity in the businesses. It was a rival turned love affair for me.

I hadn't thought about the unbleached Easy6, have to be worth more due to lower volume maby (badgirl spellin)?

Buehler445
02-06-2016, 05:39 PM

WHAAAAA???!!! People really don't use permanent filters?

Buehler445
02-06-2016, 05:40 PM
Get with the program dudes.

https://www.filtersfast.com/ProdImages/Hamilton-Beach-Gold-Coffee-Filter.jpg

Bugeater
02-06-2016, 05:43 PM
We can't afford no fancy permanent filters up in these parts.

Easy 6
02-06-2016, 05:50 PM

I have one but never use it, it doesnt fit my machine very well, sits in there all fucked up looking.

Buehler445
02-06-2016, 06:50 PM
My coffee pot came with one. Because it was produced after 1992. :D

TLO
02-06-2016, 06:51 PM
http://stream1.gifsoup.com/view3/1899869/arnold-arm-wrestle-o.gif

pr_capone
02-06-2016, 06:55 PM
French Press or GTFO

http://i.imgur.com/0DZiMJg.jpg

Buehler445
02-06-2016, 06:56 PM
French Press or GTFO

https://scontent-mia1-1.xx.fbcdn.net/hphotos-xpa1/v/t1.0-9/12249764_10208130509525788_1468143731537278414_n.jpg

Pic no worky.

HemiEd
02-06-2016, 07:00 PM
French Press or GTFO

Too much work for me. I have to drink decaf anyway

HemiEd
02-06-2016, 07:01 PM
Wildcats!

Dinny Bossa Nova
02-06-2016, 07:06 PM

I had a great time at one of them. Would host again.

Got a new coffee maker and some Peaberry (because they keep you going) Kona coffee beans for Christmas. I now make the finest cup of coffee this side of Kansas Expressway.

Dinny

Iowanian
02-06-2016, 07:17 PM
Coffee filters are so universally useful.

You can use them to make coffee, clean water in a survival situation, filter meth, prove you are Jewish as a head piece and hold an Amish woman's hair in place.

stevieray
02-06-2016, 07:34 PM
They are great for covering food in the microwave.

RedandGold
02-06-2016, 08:29 PM

I have a couple that came with our coffee pots, but I never use them. The minimal improvement in the brewed coffee (if any) isn't enough to offset the PITA factor of cleaning it. Unbleached Melitta filters work just fine for my needs.

RedandGold
02-06-2016, 08:33 PM
French Press or GTFO

The pre-ground Verona smells like a litter box. Just sayin'

Buehler445
02-06-2016, 08:36 PM
I have a couple that came with our coffee pots, but I never use them. The minimal improvement in the brewed coffee (if any) isn't enough to offset the PITA factor of cleaning it. Unbleached Melitta filters work just fine for my needs.

Quick rinse does mine. Probably an additional 15 seconds over paper. And it never collapses and fills the decanter with grinds.

I spend less time on it than I do when I rinse the decanter. Plus I never run out of filters and have to go buy only filters.

HemiEd
02-06-2016, 09:11 PM
Quick rinse does mine. Probably an additional 15 seconds over paper. And it never collapses and fills the decanter with grinds.

I spend less time on it than I do when I rinse the decanter. Plus I never run out of filters and have to go buy only filters.Sounds like you are happy with your system.

A $2 package of filters lasts me about a year and if you get the container seated correctly, it never fills the pot with grinds for me. To be fair though, my wife won't even make it anymore because she can't seem to get it right.

She uses a Keurig.

srvy
02-06-2016, 09:15 PM

Get a French press and do away with altogether. I call it a freedom press.

HonestChieffan
02-06-2016, 09:29 PM
French press for sure

Springfield is nice but its really too big a city

Nixa has a great hardware store and Patio/BBQ store

Used to be the best carwash ever next door to BPS but they sold out and it was torn down.

Toby Waller
02-06-2016, 09:34 PM
http://i.imgur.com/ORETsvC.gif

TribalElder
02-06-2016, 09:43 PM
Large numbers of Coffee filter purchases

You have been added to the watchlist

HemiEd
02-07-2016, 09:24 AM
French press for sure

Used to be the best carwash ever next door to BPS but they sold out and it was torn down.

I have been to that hardware store and agree. We learned a lot about alternative heat sources from them before we made our purchase.

I think Springfield is just right for our big quarterly shopping trip to Sam's. We hit multiple stops when we go and it is very easy to get around.

The health care area was also a very nice surprise when we were there last week.

One thing I have learned after living in Southern Missouri for a while now is that you are in good shape if you are dealing with the natives, it is the transplants like us that can be the problem.

BlackHelicopters
02-07-2016, 09:37 AM
Bleached or unbleached, both work well during the meth manufacturing process.

HemiEd
02-07-2016, 10:12 AM
Bleached or unbleached, both work well during the meth manufacturing process.

Seriously? They are used in that process? I am surprised they are so easy to get then.

One of our son in laws needed some sinus relief a few years ago, he is from Texas, and it was a major deal to acquire some of that type of medicine. It was an all day deal since we were pretty new down here.

philfree
02-07-2016, 10:19 AM
Springfield and Nixa are just about the same city. Republic too. It's all part of our Metroplex. LOL

Spott
02-07-2016, 10:22 AM
French press for sure

I use my French press every weekend and it's awesome. During the week I use my Keurig style maker with the refillable filters because I don't have enough time in the morning to do the French press.

sd4chiefs
02-07-2016, 10:24 AM
:shrug:

Springfield city, Florida
Springfield city, Georgia
Springfield city, Illinois
Springfield city, Kentucky
Springfield city, Massachusetts
Springfield city, Michigan
Springfield city, Minnesota
Springfield city, Missouri
Springfield city, Nebraska
Springfield city, Ohio
Springfield city, Oregon
Springfield city, South Dakota
Springfield city, Tennessee

Springfield town, Colorado
Springfield town, Dane County, Wisconsin
Springfield town, Jackson County, Wisconsin
Springfield town, Louisiana
Springfield town, Marquette County, Wisconsin
Springfield town, Otsego County, New York
Springfield town, Penobscot County, Maine
Springfield town, South Carolina
Springfield town, St. Croix County, Wisconsin
Springfield town, Sullivan County, New Hampshire
Springfield town, Windsor County, Vermont

Springfield township, Bradford County, Pennsylvania
Springfield township, Bucks County, Pennsylvania
Springfield township, Burlington County, New Jersey
Springfield township, Cottonwood County, Minnesota
Springfield township, Delaware County, Pennsylvania
Springfield township, Erie County, Pennsylvania
Springfield township, Fayette County, Pennsylvania
Springfield township, Huntingdon County, Pennsylvania
Springfield township, Kalkaska County, Michigan
Springfield township, Mercer County, Pennsylvania
Springfield township, Montgomery County, Pennsylvania
Springfield township, Oakland County, Michigan
Springfield township, Union County, New Jersey
Springfield township, York County, Pennsylvania

penguinz
02-07-2016, 10:40 AM
The pre-ground Verona smells like a litter box. Just sayin'
Starbucks coffee is ass.

HemiEd
02-07-2016, 10:40 AM
sd4chiefs, They all get a participation ribbon and everyone can be happy!

HonestChieffan
02-07-2016, 10:42 AM
Have any of you Springfield dwellers been to Bricks and Mortar Coffee?

Discuss Thrower
02-07-2016, 10:50 AM
Springfield is a poorer, Missouri version of Overland Park.

That being said, I wasn't unhappy living there for the better part of a decade. If Classic Rock Coffee and Hudson Hawk could open up KC locations I'd be thrilled.

BigRedChief
02-07-2016, 11:00 AM
Springfield is a poorer, Missouri version of Overland Park.

That being said, I wasn't unhappy living there for the better part of a decade. If Classic Rock Coffee and Hudson Hawk could open up KC locations I'd be thrilled.I lived there until I was 18. Couldn't wait to get the hell out of there. Bunch of conservative backwater rednecks. Just like my family was.

It's a lot different now than when I grew up. Many more pockets of non-rednecks. It still doesn't have a damn thing that distinguishes it from any other city.

srvy
02-07-2016, 11:25 AM
Is the Parakeet Motel still there near Republic Mo. I spent a lot of evenings there while doing all the construction layout for Wilson Creek National Battlefield.

HonestChieffan
02-07-2016, 11:49 AM
Amazing economy in that area. It has stayed in reasonably good shape during the downturns, lots of old old money mixed with the new younger affluence. Plus its a really neat grounded area.

HemiEd
02-07-2016, 12:16 PM
Amazing economy in that area. It has stayed in reasonably good shape during the downturns, lots of old old money mixed with the new younger affluence. Plus its a really neat grounded area.

The economy in Springfield is one of the things I am impressed with. It seems to be well diversified with significant national chains home based there. Bass Pro and Oreilly's being two of them.

We really liked the Gourmet Taco Company that has now moved and changed their name to Great American Taco Company due to their plan to franchise nationally.