PDA

View Full Version : Chiefs Keys to becoming an elite defense for 2016

pugsnotdrugs19
02-08-2016, 12:38 PM
Was thinking about this for the last week or so and I finally settled on a few things that I think need to happen in order for us to get to that championship level of defense.. please, before you say we just need to stay healthy or that we can't because of Sutton-- understand that I have shared that sentiment a time or two myself. But realistically, there are some thing that can happen by next year that can truly launch the Chiefs into being one of these all time great defensive teams. Here below are some of these things that I hope to see happen, and many could even fall in place via the domino effect. Not all HAVE to come to fruition- but if most do, we will truly have a shot to be playing in Houston next February.

1. Justin Houston uses Von Miller's playoff performance as motivation to play his best football to date.
---No, really. I think it could happen. Yeah he had 22 sacks, but it doesn't mean he can't be even better all around. I still would take a healthy Houston over Miller, that's no lie. Houston needs to use this as a driving force behind the operation to take the next step as a team, especially with game changing plays.

2. Dee Ford develops a spin move.
---Look, we all like to criticize this pick for the bust it seems to be right now, but no one can deny that first step. Right now, tackles just kick out immediately against Ford and it makes their job very easy with his predictability. Though Ford doesn't possess the strength of Houston to convert speed to power on the edge, he could still become a force by developing a spin move that would force tackles to protect their inside against his first step rush. Dorsey already said the main focus for Dee's offseason is developing more moves, so this makes sense. This is the kind of thing that could make Ford our own version of Demarcus Ware, to some extent.

3. Allen Bailey and Dontari Poe continue to emerge and improve as interior presences.
---This one is certainly realistic. Bailey was having perhaps the best year of any Chiefs defender before his calf injury mid-season. Poe got much better as the year wore on. They are both physical freaks who can consistently apply pressure. Their health is pivotal to a Chiefs defense becoming elite.

4. Marcus Peters becomes a 'shutdown' corner.
---This one too is entirely possible. As long as Peters continues to intercept pass after pass, eventually teams are going to stop throwing at him so much. I call it the Richard Sherman effect. Sherman tore up the league with interceptions so much early in his career that now most QBs won't even try to target the guy. Think about how much easier that makes defending an offense. You essentially get to focus on one side of the field while giving minimal help to Peters' side. Josh Norman also began to see this treatment late in the year. It can take a pass defense to the next level as a team in a huge way.

5. Young players step in and play fast, physical football.
---The main names coming to mind for me here are Phillip Gaines, Ramik Wilson, Steven Nelson, and other picks to come. Look, Chris Harris tore his ACL in early 2014 and came back 7 months later to have his best career year at CB for Denver. The Chiefs need Gaines to pull that off in order to take this step. Ramik Wilson needs to force himself into the starting lineup as a physical playmaking linebacker. Nelson needs to be a physical corner any time he gets on the field. The list wouldn't even end there, but we'll see come July.

Yes, health is the main key but that's never guaranteed. Sutton needs to learn from the blueprints made before him. But I think the talent is there.

What do you say? Can the Chiefs become a historical defense in 2016?

Hog's Gone Fishin
02-08-2016, 12:52 PM
We need more edge rushers and elite cornerbacks. Then we need the next Luke Kuechley

Baby Lee
02-08-2016, 12:54 PM
It's a fine line of motivation they need to walk.

They can't be discouraged by thinking the hard work the likes of Berry and DJ did to come back strong wasn't enough.

They can't be so naive as to not realize that, for all the hard work they put in this year, the Denver D worked and game planned harder.

There is absolutely no reason, outside the perpetual spectre of injury, that the D can't be even more dominant next year. We've paid them, we've stuck with them. Time to start collecting heads.

RunKC
02-08-2016, 12:59 PM
What hurt us this year?

-Losing Gaines and having no depth.
-Muaga's lack of speed.
-injuries

Draft one of the talented CB's early from this deep class, look for a fast ILB and get another pass rusher

Easy 6
02-08-2016, 01:00 PM
Mauga should be a backup

So should Abdullah

Need to draft another CB

Need to sign another out of free agency

Ford needs to take a big step into the starting role

ClevelandBronco
02-08-2016, 01:03 PM
Don't do it. It makes your Super Bowl victories really boring for most people.

KC native
02-08-2016, 01:04 PM
Fire Sutton

Bowser
02-08-2016, 01:04 PM
Ford is key since I sincerely doubt Tamba will be back. He absolutely needs to take the next step going into the 2016 season. Mauga needs to be relegated to backup/special teams duty. I don't hate him as an ILB'er, we just need someone more explosive there. Bringing in or drafting a corner high would help since I also sincerely doubt Sean Smith will be back.

Bowser
02-08-2016, 01:05 PM

I hope our Super Bowl victory is as eye rollingly bad for you as yours was for every fan not a Bronco fan was this year.

staylor26
02-08-2016, 01:07 PM

Why are you even on a Chiefs board after you just won a SB. What a fucking loser ROFL

ptlyon
02-08-2016, 01:11 PM
All you need is have ESPN say that you have an elite defense. The rest will take care of itself.

pugsnotdrugs19
02-08-2016, 01:27 PM
Ford is key since I sincerely doubt Tamba will be back. He absolutely needs to take the next step going into the 2016 season. Mauga needs to be relegated to backup/special teams duty. I don't hate him as an ILB'er, we just need someone more explosive there. Bringing in or drafting a corner high would help since I also sincerely doubt Sean Smith will be back.

I think Tamba comes back, just not as a starter. And he can't be if we want to take this step cause it is Ford's time to make it happen. Wilson needs to overtake Mauga. Maybe even March if that hype is legit.

ClevelandBronco
02-08-2016, 01:37 PM
Why are you even on a Chiefs board after you just won a SB. What a fucking loser ROFL

I'm just here to rub it in your face. Not everyone's. Definitely yours.

pugsnotdrugs19
02-08-2016, 01:43 PM
A guy at Arrowhead Addict suggested that since the a Eagles are close to signing Fletcher Cox to a deal in that 6 Yr/100 million range, that Poe may look to claim that much. If that's the case.... we better start talking to Jaye Howard FAST. Surely a deal with Poe wouldn't come close to that... Jesus.

Easy 6
02-08-2016, 01:46 PM
A guy at Arrowhead Addict suggested that since the a Eagles are close to signing Fletcher Cox to a deal in that 6 Yr/100 million range, that Poe may look to claim that much. If that's the case.... we better start talking to Jaye Howard FAST. Surely a deal with Poe wouldn't come close to that... Jesus.

Nip it in the bud and tag him

RunKC
02-08-2016, 01:49 PM
i don't think he's worth that much. I think a deal for like $70m sounds fair. It's a bit more than what Ngata got but with inflation it's about the same

pugsnotdrugs19
02-08-2016, 01:52 PM
i don't think he's worth that much. I think a deal for like $70m sounds fair. It's a bit more than what Ngata got but with inflation it's about the same

Even at the number now you have to wonder if they aren't better off keeping Howard for much cheaper..

pugsnotdrugs19
02-08-2016, 01:55 PM
If Poe is going to cost 60/5, and Howard is 38/4, what do you do?

srvy
02-08-2016, 02:20 PM
When does Ford strengthen that frame and where is his coaching and mentors in teaching him moves. It may be on Dee and he will always be a one trick pony. If he does get you off the ball often times he cant finish as the QB is bigger and stronger than him. If he doesn't read the snap and beat you with his first step he gets pushed outside and is ineffective. I really wonder if he has the desire to make the next step as he should have seen he lacked strength last year and came to camp with more upper body bulk. Hope I am wrong but I am not counting on him to be Tamba's replacement unless he gets serious.

mnchiefsguy
02-08-2016, 02:22 PM
The Chiefs will not have a historical defense until the DC learns how to make adjustments on the fly. Sutton, as demonstrated in the NE game, will continue to call the same plays and schemes over and over again, despite the fact that they are not working.

Sutton is schooled repeatedly by good offensive teams. That is not changing anytime soon, unfortunately.

mcaj22
02-08-2016, 02:25 PM
Dee Ford needs to show he's durable first to be able to handle a full games workload other than situational pass rusher.

The dude has multiple concussions already playing just a part time role. I'm not sure he can handle 60 snaps a game.

They should consider moving him to ILB ala Clay Matthews where he just has to run around the blockers rather than at them.

Jimmya
02-08-2016, 02:39 PM
Fire Sutton

Mr. Laz
02-08-2016, 03:20 PM
If Poe is going to cost 60/5, and Howard is 38/4, what do you do?
also bird in the hand .....

Howard now or risk not getting either if you pass on Howard and then Poe bolts.

Can we afford to risk losing both?

Mr. Laz
02-08-2016, 03:21 PM
Dee Ford needs to show he's durable first to be able to handle a full games workload other than situational pass rusher.

The dude has multiple concussions already playing just a part time role. I'm not sure he can handle 60 snaps a game.

They should consider moving him to ILB ala Clay Matthews where he just has to run around the blockers rather than at them.

It's not just durability, we don't know if Ford will every be a quality starter.

might be, might now ... we don't know yet.

ptlyon
02-08-2016, 03:24 PM
I'm just here to rub it in your face. Not everyone's. Definitely yours.

ROFL

Discuss Thrower
02-08-2016, 03:25 PM
It's not just durability, we don't know if Ford will every be a quality starter.

He can't supplant a washed up Hali. That's all that really needs to be said.

He's a bust.

RunKC
02-08-2016, 03:30 PM

Next year is a big year for him

loochy
02-08-2016, 03:31 PM
6. D Coord learns to do something different when his preset game plan doesn't work.

TigeRRUppeRRcut
02-08-2016, 03:34 PM
Pass on Jaye Howard if we can get Michael Irvin

TigeRRUppeRRcut
02-08-2016, 03:35 PM

I'm all for turning Ford into an ILB

beach tribe
02-08-2016, 04:58 PM
Why does everyone keep acting like we have to let players walk. We have enough cap space to keep all of our key impact players. I'm so sick of reading over and over that we have to let players walk.....we don't.

ModSocks
02-08-2016, 04:59 PM
Keys to becoming an elite defense? Here: STOP GETTING INJURED.

Damn im good.

Nightfyre
02-08-2016, 05:22 PM
Keys to becoming an elite defense:

Step 1: Replace Bob Sutton.

TigeRRUppeRRcut
02-08-2016, 05:26 PM
Why does everyone keep acting like we have to let players walk. We have enough cap space to keep all of our key impact players. I'm so sick of reading over and over that we have to let players walk.....we don't.

We just signed Kelce to a fat contract and we are looking for free agents to fill in some voids. Not to forget we have Houston and Smith eating 20% of the salary cap. We also have to allocate space for the free agents in 2017

TigeRRUppeRRcut
02-08-2016, 05:27 PM
He can't supplant a washed up Hali. That's all that really needs to be said.

He's a bust.

He got bullied in the last game of the season. Like bad.

scho63
02-08-2016, 05:53 PM
We need more edge rushers and elite cornerbacks. Then we need the next Luke Kuechley

Luke Kuechly is a once every five years draft kind of player. He is a stud. Just like JJ Watt. :clap:

pugsnotdrugs19
02-08-2016, 06:35 PM

Cause a lot of those players will test the market, and we only have 'enough' if we can outbid everyone.

We can't. Nor is that a smart way to build your team. They have to want to be here bad enough to take less sometimes in order to keep multiple guys. Look at Rodney Hudson. We had 'enough' if you go by his ability, but Oakland overspent. Just how it works.

TigeRRUppeRRcut
02-08-2016, 06:37 PM
Pay the (?9 mil/year?)$ for Bruce Irvin to play opposite of Houston and watch QB's run for their lives. He can also drop into coverage better than any other LB out there in the league. I'll argue that he's competent in 3 facets ILB, OLB, DE.

Deberg_1990
02-08-2016, 06:45 PM
Hire Wade Phillips?

milkman
02-08-2016, 10:04 PM
Building an elite defense is a fine idea, but how long can you sustain it?

In today's NFL, you might be able to keep some key components to sustain it for 3 years.

pugsnotdrugs19
02-08-2016, 10:08 PM
Building an elite defense is a fine idea, but how long can you sustain it?

In today's NFL, you might be able to keep some key components to sustain it for 3 years.

I agree-- but it's fair to see the Chiefs have the pieces to be that 3 year team going forward. Pending how this offseason goes.

jspchief
02-09-2016, 07:07 AM
The Chiefs will not have a historical defense until the DC learns how to make adjustments on the fly. Sutton, as demonstrated in the NE game, will continue to call the same plays and schemes over and over again, despite the fact that they are not working.

Sutton is schooled repeatedly by good offensive teams. That is not changing anytime soon, unfortunately.
/thread

Sutton is a mediocre coach whose success comes from having star players.

Dayze
02-09-2016, 07:09 AM
words that will never go together
Kansas City
Elite

BigMeatballDave
02-09-2016, 11:25 AM
words that will never go together
Kansas City
EliteKansas City Royals are elite. :D

Sorter
02-09-2016, 12:06 PM
He can also drop into coverage better than any other LB out there in the league. I'll argue that he's competent in 3 facets ILB, OLB, DE.

http://replygif.net/i/189.gif

Pasta Little Brioni
02-09-2016, 12:11 PM
Anyone that thinks missing Houston didn't keep us from a Super Bowl this year didn't watch an inferior Von the last two games. This team was a healthy TamHous away from a ring.