PDA

View Full Version : Birthday Weekend in KC. What are we missing?

NewChief
02-12-2016, 11:11 PM
We're taking a family weekend to KC where we're just hanging with our own family unit and not doing extended family stuff. My kids love food and such, so here's what we have planned:

Sat Am: Drive
Sat Lunch: Beer Kitchen
Sat Afternoon: Nelson Atkins Museum
Sat Evening: Q39
Sat Night: Doubletree
Sun Morning: Bluebird
Sun Noon: Check in at Great Wolf Lodge (stay here until Monday morning then leave).

What dining or sight seeing are we missing that kids 8/11 would enjoy?

They'd love to go see some live music on Saturday night, but I haven't found anything that's a casual, semi-appropriate venue for a family that they'd like. They've seen shows at venues like Cain's Ballroom in Tulsa, so they're cool with true music places, just doesn't need to be obnoxiously loud, smoky and rowdy. Ideal venue would be a restaurant/bar with a band playing and a small dance floor.

pr_capone
02-12-2016, 11:11 PM
Fiorellas Jack Stacks followed by a carriage ride through the city.

NewChief
02-12-2016, 11:12 PM
Jack Stacks

They've been there a bunch. Do they have bands on weekends, though?

TimBone
02-12-2016, 11:18 PM
I thought beer kitchen was overrated, FWIW. And I even believe that the flying saucer had a better beer selection.

stevieray
02-12-2016, 11:19 PM
Knuckleheads has the Quebe Sisters...and their menu isn't shabby either..pork tenderloin is huge.

NewChief
02-12-2016, 11:22 PM
Knuckleheads has the Quebe Sisters...and their menu isn't shabby either..pork tenderloin is huge.

That sounds good. Might do Q39 for lunch, then Knuckleheads for dinner.

TimBone
02-12-2016, 11:23 PM
Q39 was awesome. I think we ended up going three times while I was in town.

ModSocks
02-12-2016, 11:23 PM
Donnie usually throws a poppin' swingers party on Saturday night over on Brooklyn Ave. You can find him on craigslist, or i can get his number for you. It's all inclusive LGBT so your friends should feel comfortable. Bring your own meth though.

Oh, and word of advice, stay away from Ron. He has....wandering fingers....if you know what i mean.

stevieray
02-12-2016, 11:24 PM
That sounds good. Might do Q39 for lunch, then Knuckleheads for dinner.

Those girls jam..you ever heard of them? I know you are pretty savvy when it comes to music.

NewChief
02-12-2016, 11:25 PM
I thought beer kitchen was overrated, FWIW. And I even believe that the flying saucer had a better beer selection.

Wife wants beer kitchen because it's so highly rated.. but she'd definitely be open to other things if better suggestions come along (she's a vegetarian, mind you...).

She doesn't really eat much for lunch, so her idea was Q39 for lunch (since she won't eat much if anything then anyway), then something more "sophisticated" and hip with veggie options for supper.

NewChief
02-12-2016, 11:27 PM
Those girls jam..you ever heard of them? I know you are pretty savvy when it comes to music.

I haven't. But my current blues knowledge is pretty abysmal. We used to get a lot of great regional blues types down here that I'd kind of pick up on vicariously, but EDM has pretty much destroyed that in this college town.

TimBone
02-12-2016, 11:28 PM
Wife wants beer kitchen because it's so highly rated.. but she'd definitely be open to other things if better suggestions come along (she's a vegetarian, mind you...).

She doesn't really eat much for lunch, so her idea was Q39 for lunch (since she won't eat much if anything then anyway), then something more "sophisticated" and hip with veggie options for supper.
I have no vegetarian advice at all. I just recommend that you try the burnt end appetizer at Q39. Hell, she might wanna try it, too. It may turn her.

stevieray
02-12-2016, 11:31 PM
I haven't. But my current blues knowledge is pretty abysmal. We used to get a lot of great regional blues types down here that I'd kind of pick up on vicariously, but EDM has pretty much destroyed that in this college town.

They all play fiddles and sing..national champions...your boys will prolly enjoy it. It's upbeat and fun.

NewChief
02-12-2016, 11:32 PM
They all play fiddles and sing..national champions...your boys will prolly enjoy it. It's upbeat and fun.

Oh cool. That's definitely up all our alleys.

Meatloaf
02-12-2016, 11:33 PM
I'd think your kids might enjoy the WWI museum (Liberty Memorial down by Union Station) more than a visit to The Nelson. Don't get me wrong, the Nelson is a top notch art museum, but I think I'd enjoy the WWI museum more if I was a kid...plus, the tour guides definitely add to the experience, so be sure to do the tour rather than just walk around on your own.

Enjoy your trip!!!

NewChief
02-12-2016, 11:35 PM
I'd think your kids might enjoy the WWI museum (Liberty Memorial down by Union Station) more than a visit to The Nelson. Don't get me wrong, the Nelson is a top notch art museum, but I think I'd enjoy the WWI museum more if I was a kid...plus, the tour guides definitely add to the experience, so be sure to do the tour rather than just walk around on your own.

Enjoy your trip!!!

Yeah. We definitely talked about the WWI museum as well. We may try to do both. They're pretty weird/artsy kids (they love to spend a day at Crystal Bridges Museum here), so they like art.. but they definitely enjoy military museum too.

stevieray
02-12-2016, 11:37 PM
Oh cool. That's definitely up all our alleys.
:)

Hamwallet
02-12-2016, 11:46 PM
Negro League Hall of fame... BBQ. BBQ. Pretty much eat BBQ and nap.

C3HIEF3S
02-13-2016, 12:07 AM
Negro League Hall of fame... BBQ. BBQ. Pretty much eat BBQ and nap.

And wait for Royals season to come :D

Meatloaf
02-13-2016, 12:44 AM
Since you'll be staying out by the racetrack, another place to see for a brief visit would be the Moon Marble store in Bonner Springs. I've not been there, but apparently they make marbles by hand there and the owner is happy to show/discuss. They also have retro toys. Kids might find it interesting. Just a thought.

Gonzo
02-13-2016, 02:27 AM
Gotta check out the WWI museum.

https://www.theworldwar.org

TLO
02-13-2016, 02:57 AM
I'm going to World of Wheels tomorrow. Some sort of car show. Wish I had more info to share than that.

CoMoChief
02-13-2016, 03:28 AM
Dont do a carriage ride. Esp in this weather. Waste of your time. The Plaza sucks.

TribalElder
02-13-2016, 06:15 AM

Enjoy your trip!!!

Gotta check out the WWI museum.

https://www.theworldwar.org

Yes, go there and go up in the tower assuming it's not cold as fuck

Raiderhater
02-13-2016, 11:00 AM
Jazz Louisianna Kitchen usually has live music on the weekends. They have two locations that are both in areas you mentioned. The original is on 39th and State Line, just west of Q39. The other is out at the Legends Mall by the speedway, which is where Great Wolf Lodge is. Boom, there ya' go.

Raiderhater
02-13-2016, 11:05 AM
Since you'll be staying out by the racetrack, another place to see for a brief visit would be the Moon Marble store in Bonner Springs. I've not been there, but apparently they make marbles by hand there and the owner is happy to show/discuss. They also have retro toys. Kids might find it interesting. Just a thought.

Speaking of Union Station, you have Science City located there. Perfect for the kids.

http://www.unionstation.org/sciencecity

Baby Lee
02-13-2016, 11:14 AM
Gus' Hot Chicken is supposed to finally open to the public this weekend.

Stone's throw from the 'gas station' location of Joe's KC, if you can't get the fam to decide on Q or chicken for a meal.

http://gusfriedchicken.com/kc-kansas-city-ks-location/

Demonpenz
02-13-2016, 11:34 AM
BEER KITCHEN IS EXPENSIVE AS FUCK.

Demonpenz
02-13-2016, 11:35 AM
Jazz Louisianna Kitchen usually has live music on the weekends. They have two locations that are both in areas you mentioned. The original is on 39th and State Line, just west of Q39. The other is out at the Legends Mall by the speedway, which is where Great Wolf Lodge is. Boom, there ya' go.

lawrence as well

O.city
02-13-2016, 11:49 AM
Beer kitchen is great. McCoy's is really good in Westport as well.

The majestic is a great jazz steakhouse and piropos up in Briarcliff is a great Argentina steakhouse.

Crossroads is a neat area but the weather is gonna suck. Christopher elbows chocolate store is cool

O.city
02-13-2016, 11:51 AM
Grinders has good pizza and food in general.

Good hungover food is lutfis fish

Raiderhater
02-13-2016, 11:55 AM
lawrence as well

Yeah, but why would anyone want to go to that shithole town?

Bearcat
02-13-2016, 11:56 AM
Beer kitchen is great. McCoy's is really good in Westport as well.

The majestic is a great jazz steakhouse and piropos up in Briarcliff is a great Argentina steakhouse.

Crossroads is a neat area but the weather is gonna suck. Christopher elbows chocolate store is cool

Bram Wijnands is great, playing tonight... http://www.majestickc.com/upcoming-shows/ ...dinner is on the expensive side and not really a place I'd recommend with kids, but the jazz club is casual and fun, Wijnands plays some pretty upbeat stuff. Small room, but people find space to dance. Granted, it's been 10+ years since I've been there...

SAUTO
02-13-2016, 11:56 AM

Flying saucer only let us have 6 drinks

TimBone
02-13-2016, 11:58 AM
Flying saucer only let us have 6 drinks
No way. They give you a reason? I've only been to the KC one once, and didn't drink much, but the one in Houston has never cut me off.

SAUTO
02-13-2016, 11:59 AM
No way. They give you a reason? I've only been to the KC one once, and didn't drink much, but the one in Houston has never cut me off.

Told us Six drink max when we sat down.

Thought it was stupid

Demonpenz
02-13-2016, 12:19 PM
Yeah, but why would anyone want to go to that shithole town?

Championships!

mikeyis4dcats.
02-13-2016, 12:51 PM
Heard good things about the Steamboat Arabia museum.

My kid enjoyed the Legoland yesterday then we did Kaleidoscope

Dragonocho
02-13-2016, 12:56 PM
Swing by Arrowhead and make a factory of sadness video.

BWillie
02-13-2016, 12:58 PM
College bball HOF

Bearcat
02-13-2016, 01:13 PM

Crown Center in general... Legoland, the aquarium, ice skating. Might check out nearby Union Station, too, they have a couple laser light shows, Metallica and Pink Floyd, and a bunch nerdy stuff for kids. The Da Vinci exhibit is cool.

NewChief
02-13-2016, 06:16 PM
Alright: I don't feel like a 20 minute über ride to Beer Kitchen. What's close to double tree in OP that's not a chain and has "good" (interesting and hip) food. Tired to sell wife on Korma Sutra, but she's not down.

NewChief
02-13-2016, 06:20 PM
Oh and Q39 was legit. The hype is completely justified and the haters can suck it.

One son had sliders. Other one and I split a competition plate with ribs, brisket and pulled pork. White bean cassoulet for side. Plenty of food and I didn't find it overpriced or under portioned at all. Not much more than Q in Fayetteville and obviously much better quality.

Hammock Parties
02-13-2016, 06:26 PM
Go to Andre's before they close at 9! Chocolate heaven! Main street location is best, and their lunch is awesome, too.

http://andreschocolates.com/pages/dining-at-andres

I'm also a fan of this place. I prefer it to Beer Kitchen. It's close to OP.

http://brgrkitchen.com/

So is this El Salvadorean place:

http://www.elsalvadoreno-op.com/menu/

Your wife would really like this Pig&Finch place. The espresso rubbed pork shoulder is to die for.

https://801restaurantgroup.com/pig-and-finch/

NewChief
02-13-2016, 06:45 PM
Pig and Finch actually looks really awesome. Though she doesn't eat meat.

TimBone
02-13-2016, 07:30 PM
Go to Andre's before they close at 9! Chocolate heaven! Main street location is best, and their lunch is awesome, too.

http://andreschocolates.com/pages/dining-at-andres

I'm also a fan of this place. I prefer it to Beer Kitchen. It's close to OP.

http://brgrkitchen.com/

So is this El Salvadorean place:

http://www.elsalvadoreno-op.com/menu/

Your wife would really like this Pig&Finch place. The espresso rubbed pork shoulder is to die for.

https://801restaurantgroup.com/pig-and-finch/

I can vouch for brgr kitchen. It's good.

Also, Mals is definitely Clay.

stevieray
02-13-2016, 07:38 PM
Also, Mals is definitely Clay.

Gay day dead giveaway!

NewChief
02-13-2016, 08:28 PM
Went to Westport. 90 minute wait at beer kitchen settled for McCoy's across the street. Seems fine. No food yet.

Hammock Parties
02-13-2016, 08:36 PM
Went to Westport. 90 minute wait at beer kitchen settled for McCoy's across the street. Seems fine. No food yet.

<iframe width="480" height="360" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/N493CQgQ_Hk" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

DRIVE BACK TO OP AND STOP AT BRGR ON THE WAY

rabblerouser
02-13-2016, 09:36 PM

I'm so, so sorry.

NewChief
02-13-2016, 09:46 PM
<iframe width="480" height="360" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/N493CQgQ_Hk" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

DRIVE BACK TO OP AND STOP AT BRGR ON THE WAY

Food was really over the top and rich. We barely ate any of it.

O.city
02-13-2016, 09:49 PM
Brgr is super overrated, so you aren't missing much there.

ReynardMuldrake
02-13-2016, 10:54 PM
Yeah. We definitely talked about the WWI museum as well. We may try to do both. They're pretty weird/artsy kids (they love to spend a day at Crystal Bridges Museum here), so they like art.. but they definitely enjoy military museum too.

If they like Crystal Bridges make sure and take them by the Kauffman center. It's designed by the same architect. Even just seeing it from the outside, they'll love it.

KChiefs1
02-13-2016, 11:41 PM

That is pretty cool.

Strongside
02-14-2016, 01:43 AM
Negro Leagues Museum!!!!

NewChief
02-14-2016, 12:04 PM
Breakfast at Blue Bird. Loved it but we absolutely fell in love with that neighborhood. The modern remodels of all the old homes is totally up our alley.

Out of curiosity, is that an expensive neighborhood to buy in?

SAUTO
02-14-2016, 12:16 PM
Breakfast at Blue Bird. Loved it but we absolutely fell in love with that neighborhood. The modern remodels of all the old homes is totally up our alley.

That used to be an all Hispanic neighborhood. The Westside.

Used to be cheap but I would say prices have taken an upswing in the last 10 years

stevieray
02-14-2016, 01:11 PM

KC if chock full of cool old homes and neighborhoods.

Glad you enjoyed yourselves. Safe travels home!

SAUTO
02-14-2016, 01:17 PM
!

Yes it is.

NewChief
02-14-2016, 03:38 PM

Glad you enjoyed yourselves. Safe travels home!

Yeah. We always spend the majority of our visits in the burbs (OP and Olathe), so it's been fun to see the actual city.

phisherman
02-14-2016, 09:42 PM

Westside is a really cool little neighborhood. Chez Elle, Blue Bird Bistro, Westside Local, there are a bunch of great places to eat.

The really unique houses are quite pricey, 350k-500k.

Demonpenz
02-14-2016, 09:52 PM
I was out yesterday at Buzzard Beach and heard Phish's cover of gin and juice. good night.

DaneMcCloud
02-14-2016, 10:23 PM
I was out yesterday at Buzzard Beach and heard Phish's cover of gin and juice. good night.

LMAO

phisherman
02-14-2016, 10:28 PM

Damn it, Penz. :clap:

eDave
02-14-2016, 10:30 PM
Damn it, Penz. :clap:

Where'd that poll go?

loochy
02-15-2016, 01:11 PM
Dr. Pikl's in Independence. It's a can't miss.