PDA

View Full Version : Cardinals ***Official 2016 STL Cardinals Thread***

Pages : [1] 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10

BigRedChief
02-13-2016, 01:12 AM
2011 World Series Championship
2012 NLCS. One win from another WS appearance.
2013 World Series. Two wins from another World Series Championship
2014 NLCS. Three wins from another WS appearance
2015 Central Division title. Won 100 games. Lost in the NLDS.
Made the postseason 11 times in the last 15 seasons.
67 post season wins since 2004. 24+ wins more than any other team.

SI article on our off season, Gives us a "A". ??:
http://www.si.com/mlb/2016/02/12/winter-report-card-st-louis-cardinals

2015 III thread:
http://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/showthread.php?t=295296
2015 II thread:
http://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/showthread.php?t=293412
2015 I thread:
http://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/showthread.php?t=289085

TimBone
02-13-2016, 01:13 AM
I just want to be first in one of these megathreads.

First.

BigRedChief
02-13-2016, 01:15 AM
I just want to be first in one of these megathreads.

First.Your not a Cardinal fan, correct?

TimBone
02-13-2016, 01:16 AM
Your not a Cardinal fan, correct?
I have no baseball team. I monitored the Royals World Series run, but only because folks here were interested. I could take no joy from it.

BigRedChief
02-13-2016, 01:18 AM
I have no baseball team. I monitored the Royals World Series run, but only because folks here were interested. I could take no joy from it.So you are the first poster we ban from our thread then?:D

Either my choice wins the hottie celeb thread, or the hammer falls on you.:harumph:

TimBone
02-13-2016, 01:20 AM
So you are the first poster we ban from our thread then?:D

Either my choice wins the hottie celeb thread, or the hammer falls on you.:harumph:
lol....well then, I hope your favorite is either Kate Beckinsale or Scarlett Johansson.

I'll bow out of y'all thread though, as to not derail it.

Good luck to the Cardinals this year, you guys.

Toby Waller
02-13-2016, 01:23 AM
They're the Yankees of the National league. Rooting for them is boring lol

BigRedChief
02-13-2016, 10:37 AM
They're the Yankees of the National league. Rooting for them is boring lolhttp://sd.keepcalm-o-matic.co.uk/i/keep-calm-and-don-t-hate-me-cause-i-m-beautiful-2.png

Fairplay
02-13-2016, 10:47 AM
BRC your team has some stiff competition from your rival north of them.

Cubbies on paper have the best team in National league, the Cards are getting old maybe the injury bug won't plague your team like last year.

BigRedChief
02-13-2016, 06:33 PM
BRC your team has some stiff competition from your rival north of them.

Cubbies on paper have the best team in National league, the Cards are getting old maybe the injury bug won't plague your team like last year.On paper, they are the better team. But, it always seems like the Cardinals play better with a chip on their shoulder, being the underdogs/

We won 100 games but our pitching ran out of gas. We have a healthy Waino. He might not be a #1 anymore but he is still pretty damn good. Martinez has filthy, could win a Cy Young stuff. He and Wacha should make it to 200 innings and remain strong this year. If they perform up to their potential, they can be as good as anyone's staff in the playoffs.

TribalElder
02-13-2016, 06:37 PM
I thought they moved to LA

VAChief
02-15-2016, 09:01 AM
On paper, they are the better team. But, it always seems like the Cardinals play better with a chip on their shoulder, being the underdogs/

We won 100 games but our pitching ran out of gas. We have a healthy Waino. He might not be a #1 anymore but he is still pretty damn good. Martinez has filthy, could win a Cy Young stuff. He and Wacha should make it to 200 innings and remain strong this year. If they perform up to their potential, they can be as good as anyone's staff in the playoffs.

The starting pitching depth is a concern for both teams. Which of the aging once staff aces will regress the most, Lester, Lackey or Waino? Will the young arms on the Cards fall prey to more injuries (Wacha and Martinez).

The Cubs are definitely loaded with prospects that produced either well for most of the year last year or for good parts of the season. For the Cards, I think a key could be if Wong is serious about taking the reins at lead off. A .321 OBP is not ideal for a lead guy, but his first half splits were much better until he seemed to tail off swinging for fences the last half of the year. If he can get on base closer to the .350 he had earlier in the year, it would allow us to drop Carp down to a number 3 slot. I know that is where Holliday has resided recently, but at this point in their careers I would rather have Holliday at 2 and Carpenter at 3. Holliday can draw as many walks as he wants at 2, plus he is decent at situational hitting. Some combination of Grichuk/Adams/Moss/Peralta/Piscotty can hit 4-7 and sorry Yadi, but you are now the number 8 unless you find the fountain of youth.

BigRedChief
02-15-2016, 10:32 AM
The starting pitching depth is a concern for both teams. Which of the aging once staff aces will regress the most, Lester, Lackey or Waino? Will the young arms on the Cards fall prey to more injuries (Wacha and Martinez).

The Cubs are definitely loaded with prospects that produced either well for most of the year last year or for good parts of the season. For the Cards, I think a key could be if Wong is serious about taking the reins at lead off. A .321 OBP is not ideal for a lead guy, but his first half splits were much better until he seemed to tail off swinging for fences the last half of the year. If he can get on base closer to the .350 he had earlier in the year, it would allow us to drop Carp down to a number 3 slot. I know that is where Holliday has resided recently, but at this point in their careeMors I would rather have Holliday at 2 and Carpenter at 3. Holliday can draw as many walks as he wants at 2, plus he is decent at situational hitting. Some combination of Grichuk/Adams/Moss/Peralta/Piscotty can hit 4-7 and sorry Yadi, but you are now the number 8 unless you find the fountain of youth.What about this? Won't happen in a Matheny lineup. But still
Wong
Piscotty
Carp
Holliday
Peralta
Grichuk
Adams/Moss
Molina
Pitcher

Will probably be
Carp
Piscotty
Holliday
Peralta
Grichuk
Molina
Adams
Wong
Pitcher

Jewish Rabbi
02-15-2016, 10:34 AM
What about this? Won't happen in a Matheny lineup. But still
Wong
Piscotty
Carp
Holliday
Peralta
Grichuk
Adams/Moss
Molina
Pitcher

I don't think Holliday has the power numbers you'd want in the 4 spot anymore.

BigRedChief
02-15-2016, 10:53 AM
I don't think Holliday has the power numbers you'd want in the 4 spot anymore.The only real power we have is Grichuk. You want to stick him in there with his swing and miss ratio? It's not just the swing and miss ratio that every team tolerates with a home run hitter, its that he swings at pitches way out of the strike zone. Can you say rally killer?

He can still learn to be more selective with pitches. He is an everyday player. I am high on him. Just don't know if he and the team are ready to put him in the #4 slot.

VAChief
02-15-2016, 07:03 PM
Wong
Piscotty
Carp
Holliday
Peralta
Grichuk
Adams/Moss
Molina
Pitcher

Will probably be
Carp
Piscotty
Holliday
Peralta
Grichuk
Molina
Adams
Wong
Pitcher

I like Carp in the 3 spot, but not Holliday at 4. We don't have an ideal 4 right now but I think Grichuk and Piscotty fit better at 6 or 7 at least to start the year. I'm not as down on Big City as some, hopefully he got his ass in shape and can give us a .280, 20 hrs year which is what pre 35 year old Holliday was giving us. I think Moss will be another bust, but hopefully I'm wrong on that one.

'Hamas' Jenkins
02-15-2016, 08:28 PM
Given the aging of the core of the team and the unsustainable results the pitching staff had last year, I think that this team could struggle to win more than 85 games. I hope I'm wrong.

I think the key to this team could be Gyorko. If he can provide the power he did in his first year in San Diego, he gives this team a legitimate power bat that they can play anywhere on the infield.

O.city
02-15-2016, 09:02 PM
They've gotta have grichuk become a borderline star and Adams to at least be a competent slugger.

Wong
Piscotty
Carp
Holliday
Grichuk
Adams
Peralta
Yadi
P

bdj23
02-16-2016, 10:16 AM
USA Today has us projected to be a 97 win team this year.

I just glanced at the article, so I'm not sure how they came to this conclusion.

I get that this team is getting old, but there is still plenty of talent. I'd take the over on 85 wins all day long.

Marco Polo
02-16-2016, 11:54 AM
97 seems like a stretch, though will gladly take it. Have Opening Day tickets this year!

oldandslow
02-16-2016, 12:08 PM
USA Today has us projected to be a 97 win team this year.

I just glanced at the article, so I'm not sure how they came to this conclusion.

I get that this team is getting old, but there is still plenty of talent. I'd take the over on 85 wins all day long.

Yeah, they will win over 85, not so sure about 97 tho...

But how sweet it would be if it did happen and we beat the Cubs out of the div title...

Just salivating thinking about it.

DJ's left nut
02-16-2016, 01:38 PM
Pecota has the Cards as an 82 win team.

Seems about right to me. There's not one single thing this team will do well this year unless we somehow manage to defy the odds (and Mike Matheny) to keep the entire pitching staff healthy all season.

String luck made the Cards pitching staff look better than it was for most of 2015 and by September the cracks started to show. This year the regression is likely to be a season long thing and with an average (at best) defense, there's no reason to expect the staff to perform above it's talent.

This just isn't a very good baseball team. It's not a bad one, but 82-86 wins seems about right.

DJ's left nut
02-16-2016, 01:44 PM
Wong
Piscotty
Carp
Holliday
Peralta
Grichuk
Adams/Moss
Molina
Pitcher

Will probably be
Carp
Piscotty
Holliday
Peralta
Grichuk
Molina
Adams
Wong
Pitcher

Both of those lineups suck.

Wong has no business on this earth batting leadoff or anywhere higher than 7 until he can prove he has any idea where the strike zone is. Molina is a shell of himself offensively and Holliday's become a 240 lb singles hitter. Peralta's not going to improve as he gets older and the Adams/Moss pairing (notice I didn't say platoon because our dumbass GM has decided to take two hitters with the same weakness and put them at 1b) is going to give us below average production for 1b.

Grichuk is Grichuk - he'll continue to get himself out against good pitching but occasionally beat up shitty hurlers. Wong has become Grichuk light.

We have two plus offensive players - Carpenter and hopefully Piscotty. There's simply not a good way to construct a lineup here - the parts don't work together because there doesn't appear to be a plan behind them. We don't have the lineup depth to use contact rates to generate runs nor do we have the speed to manufacture them or the power to put them up in bunches.

It's a bad offense.

O.city
02-16-2016, 01:46 PM
They're depending on pretty massive internal improvements.

It's a bold strategy

DJ's left nut
02-16-2016, 01:52 PM
They're depending on pretty massive internal improvements.

It's a bold strategy

"Bold strategy" = organizational cowardice.

They didn't want to sit at the big kids table so they spun it in the same way they've been spinning it for years "there was nobody better than what we have...the market is crazy".

Unfortunately for Mozeliak, Luhnow isn't around to stock his shelves any more. This emperor's got no clothes...

BigRedChief
02-16-2016, 04:39 PM
"Bold strategy" = organizational cowardice.

They didn't want to sit at the big kids table so they spun it in the same way they've been spinning it for years "there was nobody better than what we have...the market is crazy".

Unfortunately for Mozeliak, Luhnow isn't around to stock his shelves any more. This emperor's got no clothes...What would you have them do? By all accounts the Red Sox outbid them at the last minute. I was happy that they offered the largest contact ever for the club and beat out everyone but the Sox. It was a serious offer. Hayward obviously didn't want to be here despite being offered more money. How is that the FO's fault?Unfortunately for Mozeliak, Luhnow isn't around to stock his shelves any more. This emperor's got no clothes...:eek:
Alex Reyes
Wong
Tilson
Wacha
Wisdom
Kelley
Cooney
Gonzalez
Kaminsky
Weaver
Flatterly
Plummer

DJ's left nut
02-16-2016, 05:04 PM
What would you have them do? By all accounts the Red Sox outbid them at the last minute. I was happy that they offered the largest contact ever for the club and beat out everyone but the Sox. It was a serious offer. Hayward obviously didn't want to be here despite being offered more money. How is that the FO's fault?:eek:
Alex Reyes
Wong
Tilson
Wacha
Wisdom
Kelley
Cooney
Gonzalez
Kaminsky
Weaver
Flatterly
Plummer

I feel like you badly need to adjust your calculus rather than simply naming prospects. Tilson? Dude's a 5th OFer. Wisdom won't even see the major leagues. Kaminsky got dumped for Brandon Moss because the organization decided he was a reliever. Gonzalez's ceiling is 4th starter on a contender, Kelley hasn't shown he can hit High A pitching, let alone AA pitchers. Plummer? You mean the guy that 22 other teams passed on who promptly put up a .228 BA in rookie ball? Just exactly what the hell possessed you to conclude he is ANYTHING right now? If you're going to pull names from the draft, at least give me Bader or DeJong.

Literally every system in baseball (except the Angels) has a dozen guys like the JAGs you just named. And most of them have at least one guy like Reyes. Moreover, just how long is the SOL on touting prospects? We're still going to Wacha?

Everyone has prospects. When Luhnow was running the system, our prospects were better than the other guys. Now they're just the same lottery tickets that everyone else has. That isn't going to win you any championships.

BigRedChief
02-16-2016, 05:19 PM
I feel like you badly need to adjust your calculus rather than simply naming prospects. Tilson? Dude's a 5th OFer. Wisdom won't even see the major leagues.Others have a different opinion.
Kaminsky got dumped for Brandon Moss because the organization decided he was a reliever.You told us at the time of the trade he was a possible solid #2/#3 starter. You can complain about the trade, as all of us did but your point was the drafts are a failure.
Gonzalez's ceiling is 4th starter on a contender, :hmmm:4th starters are getting $15 million a year now. So they have value, and it was not a failure.
Literally every system in baseball (except the Angels) has a dozen guys like the JAGs you just named. And most of them have at least one guy like Reyes. Moreover, just how long is the SOL on touting prospects?Other people and myself have a different opinion. I hope I'm right and your wrong cause I'm stuck with this team. It's a lot more fun winning.:D

BigRedChief
03-02-2016, 02:00 PM
Well it looks like we had better hope Kolten Wong gets his OB% up cuz he's here through 2020 at least.

The deal buys out the last 3 control years. Adds 2 years with a club option for an additional year.

JUPITER, Fla. • Eager to stay with a team that nurtured him as a young player and embraced him after a difficult October 2013, second baseman Kolten Wong sought an extension with the Cardinals, even if it meant pushing off his chance to be a free agent.

The Cardinals and Wong finalized a five-year deal worth a guaranteed $25.5 million and announced the contract Wednesday morning. The contract begins with the 2016 season and extends through 2020. The contract increases in value with each year, and it also includes a club option for 2021.

BigRedChief
03-07-2016, 02:44 PM
Peralta out for 2-3 months with thumb injury.

http://www.stltoday.com/sports/baseball/professional/cardinal-beat/peralta-may-be-out-two---months-with-thumb/article_b8ff197f-0d98-5900-88a7-a9c62b594fe2.html

DJ's left nut
03-07-2016, 02:54 PM
84 win ballclub...

But hey, you can bet on the next deal that's likely to be made. Who's our 1st round pick from 2 years ago and who is the Indian's 3rd best shortstop?

That's right folks - a Luke Weaver for Erik Gonzalez trade is as good as done.

bdj23
03-07-2016, 03:52 PM
84 win ballclub...

But hey, you can bet on the next deal that's likely to be made. Who's our 1st round pick from 2 years ago and who is the Indian's 3rd best shortstop?

That's right folks - a Luke Weaver for Erik Gonzalez trade is as good as done.

Don't say that!

I'm making a late Summer trip to Wrigley and want I to remain optimistic about this season!!!

:cuss:

kcpasco
03-07-2016, 08:28 PM
I fully expect half the team to be on the DL by the All-Star break. It's kind of the norm being a Cards fan lately. If they can be at least a WC team this year call me impressed, this could be a down year.

BigRedChief
03-07-2016, 10:03 PM
I fully expect half the team to be on the DL by the All-Star break. It's kind of the norm being a Cards fan lately. If they can be at least a WC team this year call me impressed, this could be a down year.Sucks getting old. We had a great run. I'd say the best one in the 125+ years of Cardinals history. Taveras getting drunk and killing himself cost us a #3/#4 hitter for 6 years. Then cost us a #3/#2 starter.:shake:

If Piscotty and Grichuk can step up and perform at their ceiling we will still be just as good as anyone else. We have pitching and a bullpen. Lots of if's thats for sure.

'Hamas' Jenkins
03-19-2016, 11:38 AM
Cardinals signed Ruben Tejada for $1.5 mil.

He's not a world-beater, but he's probably the best depth option we've had at short in ages. He can give us acceptable play from the position while Peralta is out.

Good signing.

Jewish Rabbi
03-19-2016, 01:22 PM
I was hoping Diaz would be given a chance.

BigRedChief
03-19-2016, 01:29 PM
I was hoping Diaz would be given a chance.yeah Matheny has already said the spring training games rotation will not include Diaz. Mo said he can be in AAA ready to go.

BigRedChief
03-19-2016, 01:32 PM
Cardinals signed Ruben Tejada for $1.5 mil.

He's not a world-beater, but he's probably the best depth option we've had at short in ages. He can give us acceptable play from the position while Peralta is out.

Good signing.I'm surprised he signed so cheap. No performance escalators in case he does well? Nothing but upside here for us. We pay guys $5 million to ride the bench and pinch hit.

BigRedChief
03-23-2016, 10:35 PM
DVR'd the game today so I could watch Martinez pitch. He pitched against the starters for Miami. I know ts spring training but Carlos was so good already. He is going to win a Cy Young award someday.

It looks like he is camouflaging that slider better. Was spotting the fastball low and away to leftys. Seemed he pitched higher up in the zone for some reason. Maybe thats what they were working on today?

Slider/97 fastball/change. Their timing was off all 5 innings he pitched.

He should be able to make it to 200 innings and stay strong in the playoffs, if we can find enough offense to get us there.

Pasta Little Brioni
03-24-2016, 07:16 AM
3rd place squad

Mi_chief_fan
03-24-2016, 08:43 AM
3rd place squad
Might still get them into the postseason

scho63
03-24-2016, 09:06 AM
As a Pirates fan, I think we are going to have a much tougher time this year keeping up with your Cardinals and the Cubs. Not sure we will make the playoffs this year.

Have you guys lost many FA's or signed/traded for many?

DJ's left nut
03-24-2016, 09:18 AM
DVR'd the game today so I could watch Martinez pitch. He pitched against the starters for Miami. I know ts spring training but Carlos was so good already. He is going to win a Cy Young award someday.

It looks like he is camouflaging that slider better. Was spotting the fastball low and away to leftys. Seemed he pitched higher up in the zone for some reason. Maybe thats what they were working on today?

Slider/97 fastball/change. Their timing was off all 5 innings he pitched.

He should be able to make it to 200 innings and stay strong in the playoffs, if we can find enough offense to get us there.

Most importantly, he looks like a man this year.

The last couple of years, he's looked slight; like a boy out there playing with grownups. This season he appears to added some thickness to his frame and that could easily help him maintain his health and his stuff throughout the season.

Pitchers break down - it's what they do. High effort pitchers like Martinez doubly so. But it appears he's taken positive steps towards getting through the season strong.

The next thing to work on for him needs to be his efficiency. He's still going to get strikeout happy at times and I think if he wants to be a 200 inning pitcher, he needs to work on getting guys out earlier in counts and only really dialing his stuff up when he needs it.

O.city
03-24-2016, 09:48 AM
Grichuk and piscotty gonna have to have a big year for them to do anything.

raybec 4
03-24-2016, 11:21 AM
Grichuk and piscotty gonna have to have a big year for them to do anything.

And we need Mike to not be scared to put them out there, if he rides with Moss or the fat boy at first if they're not performing that's going to be a problem. 1st has been our most under achieving position for the last few seasons IMO and if Piscotty or Holiday can do it let them do it

BigRedChief
03-24-2016, 05:22 PM
Grichuk and piscotty gonna have to have a big year for them to do anything.Yep, if they don't, we are sunk.

Having Holiday at first helps. He has looked serviceable at 1B. That frees up a slot in LF.

Grichuk/Pham/Piscotty should be the opening day outfield.

If Pham can't make it as an everyday player, move Grichuk to CF and Moss to LF or 1B and Holliday to LF.

It's the only options we have at the moment. I have no confidence in Adams. He still looks as fat and slow as ever. Big looping swing that's easily beat.

Miles
03-25-2016, 01:02 AM
I was not terribly excited about the Cardinals prospects the past few offseasons but things obviously worked out more than ok. Like the comment above, definitely going to need some guys like Grichuk, Piscotty and Wong to come though and pitching to stay reasonably healthy.

Miles
03-25-2016, 01:12 AM
Yep, if they don't, we are sunk.

Having Holiday at first helps. He has looked serviceable at 1B. That frees up a slot in LF.

Grichuk/Pham/Piscotty should be the opening day outfield.

If Pham can't make it as an everyday player, move Grichuk to CF and Moss to LF or 1B and Holliday to LF.

It's the only options we have at the moment. I have no confidence in Adams. He still looks as fat and slow as ever. Big looping swing that's easily beat.

I suspect it will be opening the season with Moss at 1B and slow to adapt unless he craters right away. Guess I don't have much of a problem trying that but I'm assuming Matheny will be slow to react with a roster that should be pretty flexible. He seemed to at least be using some of that flexibility down the stretch last year but could have been due shuffling for various injuries.

Have some mild hopes for Adams but knowing you have watched some spring training games with those comments tempers those hopes even more. There are definitely some guys that can play well with some weight but Adams likely might not be one of them.

BigRedChief
03-25-2016, 01:29 AM
I was not terribly excited about the Cardinals prospects the past few offseasons but things obviously worked out more than ok.Our pitching was what carried us last year. Wacha and Martinez could be better this year than last year. Garcia should be the same. Slide Wainwright in there for Lachey and Leake for the Lynn role. Our bullpen is a lot better than last year. There is no reason to think our pitching will be good again this year. Just like last year again, it will be our offense that decides the season.

Miles
03-25-2016, 01:56 AM
Our pitching was what carried us last year. Wacha and Martinez could be better this year than last year. Garcia should be the same. Slide Wainwright in there for Lachey and Leake for the Lynn role. Our bullpen is a lot better than last year. There is no reason to think our pitching will be good again this year. Just like last year again, it will be our offense that decides the season.

Completely agree. Offense was the real problem last year and still managed to somehow scrape 100 wins out of it with great pitching. Not sure we can count on that happening again but some other things could work out to make it more of a wash.

Really like some of the pen additions and hope Walden is healthy. I do have some optimism with the younger guys but need a few of them to make some steps forward. Guess pessimistic is not quite my feelings on the upcoming season since things could work themselves out like the have the past few years.

Also Cubs seem to have on paper put together quite a team. Hope they continue being the Cubs.

brucey_72
03-25-2016, 02:06 AM
https://www.sportsusa.com.br/wp-content/uploads/2015/10/mlb-nlds-st.-louis-cardinals-chicago-cubs-850x560.jpg

I know I will get crap for this but man that was a great day. Probably my favorite moment as a Cubs fan. Looking forward to my personal favorite rivalry. Not here to talk trash but I believe it is a a 2 way race for the NL Title this year. Cubs vs Cardinals.

Been a Cub fan since I was born and for the first time I don't expect St. Louis to slaughter us in the Central this year..

Oh and Heyward looks great in a Cubs uniform

http://www.gannett-cdn.com/-mm-/fb9307e5df4ae02cabb681a677b0e0dabedd3c79/c=0-0-2672-3562&r=537&c=0-0-534-712/local/-/media/2015/12/15/USATODAY/USATODAY/635858080223822947-AP-Cubs-Heyward-Baseball.jpg

Miles
03-25-2016, 02:20 AM
Several teams at least you are forgetting about in the NL like the Giants, Mets and I guess Dodgers. Several others also look good going into the season like to Nats, Pirates and Arizona.

brucey_72
03-25-2016, 02:24 AM
Several teams at least you are forgetting about in the NL like the Giants, Mets and I guess Dodgers. Several others also look good going into the season like to Nats, Pirates and Arizona.

Oh there are several teams in the NL that are contenders. I just see it coming down to Cubs vs Cardinals. Just a prediction. Always have to watch out for those Giants

Pasta Little Brioni
03-25-2016, 07:03 AM
You will despise Heyturd by the all star break...guarentee it

brucey_72
03-25-2016, 07:12 AM

Why's that?? I am actually asking.

Good thing about Heyward is he doesn't need to be a star. We have Rizzo, Schwarber, and Bryant

jd1020
03-25-2016, 08:25 AM

You keep wrongly assuming that Heyward will be asked to be an offensive keystone in the lineup like he was in StL. He'll be a breath of fresh air defensively in an outfield that was looking at Soler AND Schwarber and he'll be a complimentary offensive hitter in the 2 hole or 6/7, but I expect that Zobrist will be the one asked to hit behind the RBI guys. Heyward offers much more in terms of base running in front.

DJ's left nut
03-25-2016, 08:45 AM
I suspect it will be opening the season with Moss at 1B and slow to adapt unless he craters right away. Guess I don't have much of a problem trying that but I'm assuming Matheny will be slow to react with a roster that should be pretty flexible. He seemed to at least be using some of that flexibility down the stretch last year but could have been due shuffling for various injuries.

Have some mild hopes for Adams but knowing you have watched some spring training games with those comments tempers those hopes even more. There are definitely some guys that can play well with some weight but Adams likely might not be one of them.

Adams showed up fat again.

It demonstrates his commitment to the game. A guy that cost us our #2 pitching prospect because his hamstring blew out during a light jog cared so much about conditioning that he did absolutely nothing to address it.

All that shit about him 'adjusting his swing' in the offseason was garbage and I knew it. Had he actually cared about being a major league baseball player, he'd have come to camp 30 lbs lighter and it would've convinced me that he took the offseason seriously.

He didn't. All the Adams talk is bullshit. He's still the same fatass that wouldn't take the game seriously so when pitchers adjusted to him, he couldn't adjust back.

DJ's left nut
03-25-2016, 08:48 AM
You keep wrongly assuming that Heyward will be asked to be an offensive keystone in the lineup like he was in StL. He'll be a breath of fresh air defensively in an outfield that was looking at Soler AND Schwarber and he'll be a complimentary offensive hitter in the 2 hole or 6/7, but I expect that Zobrist will be the one asked to hit behind the RBI guys. Heyward offers much more in terms of base running in front.

Heywards a mentally soft candy-ass.

But as you've noted, being a mentally soft candy-ass won't be a problem in Chicago because he's finally found exactly what he wants in life: Being paid as a genuine superstar without having to actually produce like one.

And the Cubs hitting approach will help him if he'll actually listen to it. Instead of that stupid restricted swing of his, a swing that Mabry's anti-pull approach catered to, the Cubs may get him to open up a bit more and utilize his raw power.

I suspect he'll have a career year for the Cubs because he finally has a staff that can possibly unlock his talent and because the big pussy finally gets to hide behind a bunch of guys that are younger and less accomplished than he is.

Marcellus
03-25-2016, 09:03 AM
Adams showed up fat again.

It demonstrates his commitment to the game. A guy that cost us our #2 pitching prospect because his hamstring blew out during a light jog cared so much about conditioning that he did absolutely nothing to address it.

All that shit about him 'adjusting his swing' in the offseason was garbage and I knew it. Had he actually cared about being a major league baseball player, he'd have come to camp 30 lbs lighter and it would've convinced me that he took the offseason seriously.

He didn't. All the Adams talk is bullshit. He's still the same fatass that wouldn't take the game seriously so when pitchers adjusted to him, he couldn't adjust back.

Was not aware of this, great. WTF else did dude have to do this off season?

Pasta Little Brioni
03-25-2016, 09:10 AM
Heywards a mentally soft candy-ass.

But as you've noted, being a mentally soft candy-ass won't be a problem in Chicago because he's finally found exactly what he wants in life: Being paid as a genuine superstar without having to actually produce like one.

And the Cubs hitting approach will help him if he'll actually listen to it. Instead of that stupid restricted swing of his, a swing that Mabry's anti-pull approach catered to, the Cubs may get him to open up a bit more and utilize his raw power.

I suspect he'll have a career year for the Cubs because he finally has a staff that can possibly unlock his talent and because the big pussy finally gets to hide behind a bunch of guys that are younger and less accomplished than he is.

:clap: Don't worry. That soft bitch will still find a way to cower under pressure yet again. They will see.

'Hamas' Jenkins
03-25-2016, 12:32 PM
There is absolutely no way the pitching staff will get anywhere near the results of the 2015 staff just due to regression.

For this team to improve the younger players need to make substantial improvements on offense while Holliday and Molina mitigate their decline.

Also, Matt Adams can have an ascending aortic aneurysm, but not until I get to watch.

brucey_72
03-25-2016, 01:51 PM
Why is he mentally soft? What does he do? As a Cubs fan, nice to get information about a guy.

VAChief
03-25-2016, 01:57 PM
There is absolutely no way the pitching staff will get anywhere near the results of the 2015 staff just due to regression.

For this team to improve the younger players need to make substantial improvements on offense while Holliday and Molina mitigate their decline.

Also, Matt Adams can have an ascending aortic aneurysm, but not until I get to watch.

It is all based on potential, nothing certain. When you either had Carpenter or Waino, you knew you had a top of the rotation starter, with Pujols, Edmonds, etc., middle of the order bats with expected production.

Holliday and I suppose Carpenter are those now, but to a much lesser extent. Waino is projecting like #3 stuff at best right now, Wacha worries me, I think he is more middle of the rotation (which was really what he was predicted to be and just exceeded by rising so fast) guy. Martinez still has the best stuff, but until I see a full season it is just potential. Leake is Suppan 2.0, Garcia, who knows, one day he is Fernando, the next Dave LaPoint.

I like Grichuk, Piscotty and Pham as prospects, it be a whole lot more exciting if we had another proven bat.

ChiefsCountry
03-25-2016, 02:40 PM
Why is he mentally soft? What does he do? As a Cubs fan, nice to get information about a guy.

Outside perspective on Heyward. He looks like he should be a big bat guy but he just isn't. He replaced a player that Cardinal fans thought was going to be a legit big bat superstar. Heyward, could be that potentially, but is a younger version of Alex Gordon. Real steady numbers but nothing that just pops out at you. For the Cubs he will fit in nicely. Just replacing Tarvaes and now signing with the Cubs, it just was something that Heyward & the Cards fans fit together to well.

brucey_72
03-25-2016, 02:43 PM
Ok thank you.. as an outsider he looks like a solid player. He will not be needed to be a star in Chicago

DJ's left nut
03-25-2016, 03:23 PM

He doesn't have any confidence in himself at all. He's a mad tinkerer and any time he has a bad week, he goes back to dicking with his swing and it sets him into a month long slump.

He always always ALWAYS has someone/something to blame for his under-performance. His thumb, his appendix, being moved to the 2 hole, being moved to the 5 hole, his coaching, the expectations in ATL, their unwillingness to extend him, on and on and on. Heyward ALWAYS had an explanation for why he wasn't playing well and it never seemed to involve legitimate introspection. Then he up and did it again this year when he signed with the Cubs and groused about being asked to be the man in STL and cited being a complementary player in Chicago as a primary motivation.

Albert Pujols to this day bitches about being compared to Mike Trout despite being nowhere near the player Trout is because he's a legitimate alpha-male. Bryce Harper just came out in an interview and said he's the best player in baseball and you'd never hear him say anyone is better than him. Chris Carpenter once ate a baby on the mound. Incredible players believe they're the best and they will take your soul from you.

Beta males like Jason Heyward bitch about their spot in the batting order and celebrate being asked less of.

I've never been more disappointed in a player than I was in Heyward. I wanted the guy to be a Cardinal and was absolutely certain he'd unlock the potential he showed as a rookie. Then he absolutely showed me why the Braves didn't want to invest long-term in him. He has the soul of a semi-finalist. He's content just being there. He doesn't believe in himself and he doesn't have the fire that the greats have.

His role is exactly what he is now - a remarkably well compensated role-player.

brucey_72
03-25-2016, 03:39 PM
Thank you for the great information. Kind of makes me less excited about Heyward if that is the case. Thank God for the big 3 we have in Chicago.

Why would a player not want to be a key player?? Shouldn't a player want to be the best?

How is his defense? I have always thought he was a good defender but don't watch a whole lot of the Cards since they play the same time as Chicago a lot

jd1020
03-25-2016, 05:31 PM
Thank you for the great information. Kind of makes me less excited about Heyward if that is the case. Thank God for the big 3 we have in Chicago.

Why would a player not want to be a key player?? Shouldn't a player want to be the best?

How is his defense? I have always thought he was a good defender but don't watch a whole lot of the Cards since they play the same time as Chicago a lot

Honestly, there are far better, less biased, ways of getting information on Heyward on the internet. You are in Cardinals thread asking what they think about a player that played one season on the team and took a huge dump on the makeup of the team on his way out the door.

brucey_72
03-25-2016, 05:33 PM
Honestly, there are far better, less biased, ways of getting information on Heyward on the internet. You are in Cardinals thread asking what they think about a player that played one season on the team and took a huge dump on the makeup of the team on his way out the door.

Idk I like the bias opinions.. fans of the team a player plays for has a lot of good information

'Hamas' Jenkins
03-25-2016, 05:43 PM

Heyward is not the guy. He's the guy that gets on base for the guy.

With the Cubs, that's fine. They are so rich with position player talent that he can settle in as the fourth or fifth best bat on the team. But he will never be a guy who can carry an offense.

The Cardinals needed someone who would carry an offense. They offered him a contract in accordance with that expectation. He took less money to be a supporting piece. Honestly, it was probably a better decision for his mental health, because he isn't the type who wants to deal with that pressure cooker.

If you want a cross sports comparison, he's Dwight Howard.

jd1020
03-25-2016, 05:47 PM
Idk I like the bias opinions.. fans of the team a player plays for has a lot of good information

Biased information is not good information.

Heyward had arguably the 2nd best season of his career in StL, where he only played for 1 season. Defensively he is what Jorge Soler aspires to be but will never become because Soler very rarely hustles and has about the same ability to judge the trajectory of a baseball as a blind man. However, if you were to take the opinion of most Cardinals fans you'd get a majority of PGM's who think he's the worst player to grace the sport.

brucey_72
03-25-2016, 05:50 PM
I know it is entertaining. I still love signing Heyward. i am going to use the information to change my opinion just nice to see what people think

jd1020
03-25-2016, 05:53 PM
But he will never be a guy who can carry an offense.

This is where I disagree. He has shown the ability to be a guy that could potentially carry an offense. Whether or not he does is another discussion all together, but he got paid based on age and based on the fact he has shown to be that guy.

Mi_chief_fan
03-25-2016, 06:07 PM
This is where I disagree. He has shown the ability to be a guy that could potentially carry an offense. Whether or not he does is another discussion all together, but he got paid based on age and based on the fact he has shown to be that guy.

And a ridiculous opt-out clause. Time will tell if this is Big Papi or Carl Crawford.

'Hamas' Jenkins
03-25-2016, 07:00 PM

He has a career wRC+ of 118, and that factors in his baserunning. His career is basically 2015 Adam Eaton. Do you think 2015 Adam Eaton can carry an offense?

jd1020
03-25-2016, 07:01 PM
He has a career wRC+ of 118, and that factors in his baserunning. His career is basically 2015 Adam Eaton. Do you think 2015 Adam Eaton can carry an offense?

I dont know. Has Adam Eaton ever hit 27 HR's in a season? Comparing a career average to a single season best = the greatest way to compare ability!

'Hamas' Jenkins
03-25-2016, 07:07 PM
I dont know. Has Adam Eaton ever hit 27 HR's in a season? Comparing a career average to a single season best = the greatest way to compare ability!

That's what you're doing, dumbshit.

Eaton in 2015: 14 HR, 18 SB, .287/.361/.431, .144 ISO, 118 wRC

Who is that? It's Jason Heyward's career average. In fact, let's look at Heyward's 2015:

13 HR, 23 SB, .293/.359/.439, .146 ISO, 121 wRC

If you think Jason Heyward can carry an offense, then you think Adam Eaton can carry an offense.

bdj23
03-25-2016, 07:08 PM
Anybody here ever been to Wrigley? Are bleacher seats worth $150 a ticket? Will the secondary market level out? Headed out August 12-14th

Help a brotha out.

jd1020
03-25-2016, 07:09 PM
That's what you're doing, dumbshit.

Not really, but I'll let you shoot your own foot.

'Hamas' Jenkins
03-25-2016, 07:15 PM
Not really, but I'll let you shoot your own foot.

Would you have said of last year's Adam Eaton that he can carry an offense? Because his performance last year is what Heyward has averaged over his entire career.

Chase Headley also once had a 31 HR season. He's never hit more than 13 in any other year, but we'll keep banking on that that 31 again.

jd1020
03-25-2016, 07:19 PM
Would you have said of last year's Adam Eaton that he can carry an offense? Because his performance last year is what Heyward has averaged over his entire career.

Chase Headley also once had a 31 HR season. He's never hit more than 13 in any other year, but we'll keep banking on that that 31 again.

I don't know why you insist on going back to Adam Eatons best season where he managed to scrape together a season that matched Jason Heywards career average, while simultaneously ignoring the fact that Heyward put together a season where he knocked 27 balls out of the park. He has the power to be a very scary offensive bat. That's all I said. But continue with your dumbass argument centered around a single season by Adam Eaton, it makes a ton of ****ing sense.

DJ's left nut
03-25-2016, 07:46 PM
"Biased fans are bad.....HEY, OUR NEW $27 MILLION RFER CAN CARRY AN OFFENSE!!!"

If Jason Heyward is carrying your offense, you have a really really bad offense. And as evidence I present to you the 2015 Cardinals where he was our second best offensive player (and third best after Piscotty came up).

And for the record, please feel free to search for references I made to Heyward DURING the 2015 season and well before he "took a huge dump on the makeup of the team".

And like I said, in so doing he outed himself as exactly who I said he was last season; a guy who wants to be a role player.

Brucey - feel free to use the archives. Search Heyward under my name and you'll find no shortage of opinions by me regarding the flaws in his swing, the relative overstatement of his defense (he's truly spectacular going back on the ball and as a thrower; he's about average coming in on the ball and merely good laterally) and the mentality that will keep him from being a true superstar. I can guarantee you it will be more useful than "he's the defender Soler would like to be if Soler wasn't a terrible defender" or whatever such bit of idiot horseshit JD just tried to sling your way.

jd1020
03-25-2016, 07:53 PM
I can guarantee you it will be more useful than "he's the defender Soler would like to be if Soler wasn't a terrible defender" or whatever such bit of idiot horseshit JD just tried to sling your way.

So are you trying to say that Soler doesn't aspire to be a better defender or that he isn't terrible defensively?

DJ's left nut
03-25-2016, 08:07 PM
I'm saying that what you told him is as worthless as me giving you "Ted Williams is the hitter he wishes he were" as Pete Kozma's scouting report.

jd1020
03-25-2016, 08:11 PM
I'm saying that what you told him is as worthless as me giving you "Ted Williams is the hitter he wishes he were" as Pete Kozma's scouting report.

Well I'm not making an attempt to break down Heywards game. There are plenty of other sites out there that have broken down his game with route patterns, hitting zones, etc... that I think would be a better interpretation of his game for a Cubs fan other than PGM saying he's god awful at everything baseball or Hamas trying to compare his potential to fucking Adam Eaton. I never lumped you into that conversation, but w/e.

brucey_72
03-25-2016, 08:12 PM
Anybody here ever been to Wrigley? Are bleacher seats worth $150 a ticket? Will the secondary market level out? Headed out August 12-14th

Help a brotha out.

I have been to Wrigley.. $150 for bleacher seats?? Go to the Cubs site you can get them a lot cheaper

bdj23
03-25-2016, 08:52 PM
I have been to Wrigley.. $150 for bleacher seats?? Go to the Cubs site you can get them a lot cheaper

They are already sold out for that game. I tried to buy them about an hour after they went on sale from cubs.com and no dice.

brucey_72
03-25-2016, 08:58 PM
Oh well that sucks.. I normally pay $100 for right behind homeplate. Try ticket master or stubhub. $150 for bleachers is too much. Wrigley Field is terrible anyway. I normally go to Cincy to watch the Cubs now.

The atmosphere at Wrigley is unbeatable tho

Pasta Little Brioni
03-26-2016, 06:20 AM
He's not the worst player, but as Cardinal fans we expect better. They offered him a fair contract and he ran to the perennial losers. If he fails he fails. Enjoy that soft piece of trash.

bdj23
03-26-2016, 09:33 AM
Oh well that sucks.. I normally pay $100 for right behind homeplate. Try ticket master or stubhub. $150 for bleachers is too much. Wrigley Field is terrible anyway. I normally go to Cincy to watch the Cubs now.

The atmosphere at Wrigley is unbeatable tho

They are about $120 on Stubhub now. I think i paid about $200 for two Cubs/Cardinals tickets at Busch in 2009 that were second level seats. I don't really know anything about Wrigley and my fat, drunk, bleacher bum friends I'm meeting already have their tickets.

DJ's left nut
03-26-2016, 12:05 PM
Good news, Cards fans!

Matt Holliday's swing is almost completely inside out at this point so any expectation that his power will come back is probably going to go unrealized. Brandon Moss still blows and Yadier Molina is still a first pitch hacker who's prone to weak contact.

That's only our 3, 5 and 6 hitters so no big deal.

This offense is going to be absolutely abysmal and no, the pitching will absolutely not be as good as it was last year because that kind of string luck simply will not hold. The folks that expect the pitching to be as good as it was sound just like the people who figured the .325 BA with RISP from 2011 meant we'd still be a badass offense in 2012.

To be fair, they don't 'sound just like' those people, they are those people.

This team is just way too fond of seeing luck as skill.

bdj23
03-26-2016, 12:57 PM
Good news, Cards fans!

Matt Holliday's swing is almost completely inside out at this point so any expectation that his power will come back is probably going to go unrealized. Brandon Moss still blows and Yadier Molina is still a first pitch hacker who's prone to weak contact.

That's only our 3, 5 and 6 hitters so no big deal.

This offense is going to be absolutely abysmal and no, the pitching will absolutely not be as good as it was last year because that kind of string luck simply will not hold. The folks that expect the pitching to be as good as it was sound just like the people who figured the .325 BA with RISP from 2011 meant we'd still be a badass offense in 2012.

To be fair, they don't 'sound just like' those people, they are those people.

This team is just way too fond of seeing luck as skill.

I watched Yadi's 7th inning at bat in that spring training game they showed yesterday on espn (right when i tuned in) first pitch, chop one to the SS, i then muted it and took a nap.

Mi_chief_fan
03-26-2016, 01:05 PM
He's not the worst player, but as Cardinal fans we expect better. They offered him a fair contract and he ran to the perennial losers. If he fails he fails. Enjoy that soft piece of trash.

:clap: Well said

brucey_72
03-29-2016, 02:12 AM
Almost here guys..

I got my new Billy Goat Curse avatar, hoping it ends this year for my Cubs. Will be rocking it for this season

bdj23
03-29-2016, 09:34 AM
http://www.vivaelbirdos.com/st-louis-cardinals-news-analysis-mlb/2016/3/28/11318044/jose-oquendo-may-miss-the-entire-2016-season-a-hunt-and-peck

Even our coaches can't stay healthy.

'Hamas' Jenkins
03-29-2016, 10:26 AM
http://www.vivaelbirdos.com/st-louis-cardinals-news-analysis-mlb/2016/3/28/11318044/jose-oquendo-may-miss-the-entire-2016-season-a-hunt-and-peck

Even our coaches can't stay healthy.

This is a good thing. Oquendo is a horrible 3B coach.

O.city
03-29-2016, 11:49 AM
Dunno that I've ever been this disinterested in a Cardinals season ever. Just no excitement at all.

DJ's left nut
03-29-2016, 02:07 PM
Dunno that I've ever been this disinterested in a Cardinals season ever. Just no excitement at all.

This should help....

http://www.stltoday.com/sports/baseball/professional/cardinals-enduring-spring-of-discontent/article_97a72d40-c4b4-5b10-9c92-fbde28bae42f.html?utm_medium=social&utm_source=twitter&utm_campaign=user-share

Team meeting and clubhouse turmoil and they haven't even broken camp this year.

That's okay guys - Leake's got this!

Good work, Moe. Hell of a bunch you've assembled here.

O.city
03-29-2016, 03:18 PM
This should help....

http://www.stltoday.com/sports/baseball/professional/cardinals-enduring-spring-of-discontent/article_97a72d40-c4b4-5b10-9c92-fbde28bae42f.html?utm_medium=social&utm_source=twitter&utm_campaign=user-share

Team meeting and clubhouse turmoil and they haven't even broken camp this year.

That's okay guys - Leake's got this!

Good work, Moe. Hell of a bunch you've assembled here.

Huh.

Winder what the hell is going on.

And fuck, it seems like this is 3 years running were gonna have an lagging offense.

jd1020
03-29-2016, 04:22 PM
Didn't read that entire article but are they really freaking out about a Spring Training record? Last I checked, the Reds were the only team with a winning record in the central. The Cards, Cubs, and Pirates records are all trash.

EDIT: Now the Reds even have a losing record. The Brewers, currently sporting a .500 record, are the only team without one.

Mi_chief_fan
03-29-2016, 04:29 PM
Didn't read that entire article but are they really freaking out about a Spring Training record? Last I checked, the Reds were the only team with a winning record in the central. The Cards, Cubs, and Pirates records are all trash.

Its not the record, but from what I've seen their play has been total trash this spring. I think they have more errors than runs this spring. They can't hit Manager's a bible-thumping moron. Put them all together, you get a team meeting. In spring training.

Yeah, should be a great season

jd1020
03-29-2016, 04:32 PM
Its not the record, but from what I've seen their play has been total trash this spring. I think they have more errors than runs this spring. They can't hit Manager's a bible-thumping moron. Put them all together, you get a team meeting. In spring training.

Yeah, should be a great season

I can see that. I watched a little bit of the Cards vs Diamondbacks (I think) and Wong made his 5th or something error of spring, then the SS fumbled a ball, then Carpenter went after a chopper like a lazy bum and it went right over his glove. Think that all happened in the same inning.

raybec 4
03-29-2016, 04:47 PM
I'm not a sky is falling type of guy but I see 80 wins as the ceiling this season

BigRedChief
03-29-2016, 05:37 PM

EDIT: Now the Reds even have a losing record. The Brewers, currently sporting a .500 record, are the only team without one.No one is saying anything on the record. Most of the smoke is the lack of reps not just in games but in practice. Players don't feel ready.

The Cardinals cut back on reps to try to keep everyone fresh for late Sept./Oct.

BigRedChief
03-29-2016, 05:42 PM
I'm not a sky is falling type of guy but I see 80 wins as the ceiling this seasonI watched Martinez pitch again yesterday. He didn't even look like he was trying and was just masterful. No kidding, he looked like he was going 75% speed against the Mets starters and they just couldn't barrel up anything. He completely owned Cespedes.

He could win the Cy Young this year if he keeps this level of performance up the whole season that Ive seen the last couple of games.

jd1020
03-29-2016, 06:15 PM
No one is saying anything on the record.

:spock:

The first 2 paragraphs of that article is literally talking about the record.

BigRedChief
03-29-2016, 08:16 PM
Don't know why I found this so funny.

<blockquote class="twitter-tweet" data-lang="en"><p lang="en" dir="ltr">Finally told my daughter <a href="https://twitter.com/jonjayU">@jonjayU</a> doesn&#39;t play for the <a href="https://twitter.com/Cardinals">@Cardinals</a> anymore. Rough night. <a href="https://t.co/mjdGlgMsDv">pic.twitter.com/mjdGlgMsDv</a></p>&mdash; Kevin Reynolds (@deckacards) <a href="https://twitter.com/deckacards/status/714995158488473600">March 30, 2016</a></blockquote>
<script async src="//platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

'Hamas' Jenkins
03-29-2016, 10:38 PM
The last time that there was discord in the organization followed by an under-achieving season they got rid of Jocketty.

While unlikely, I'm holding out hope that if this year's team has a similar level of performance (and I would pound their under this year) that there is a chance that Matheny gets poleaxed given how he has divided the locker room and his numbskull managerial style.

MotherfuckerJones
03-30-2016, 12:08 AM
What are y'alls expectations? Just stopping in to see. I have Houston beating St. Louis in the World Series 4-2.

BigRedChief
03-30-2016, 12:19 AM
The last time that there was discord in the organization followed by an under-achieving season they got rid of Jocketty.

While unlikely, I'm holding out hope that if this year's team has a similar level of performance (and I would pound their under this year) that there is a chance that Matheny gets poleaxed given how he has divided the locker room and his numbskull managerial style.4 straight playoffs. 100 wins last season and a World Series appearance and they fire their coach?

Not going to happen if only because they would never get a top of the line coach to come into St. Louis in the future. Why would they come? Even if you have success on the field, you still get fired.

DJ's left nut
03-30-2016, 07:44 AM
4 straight playoffs. 100 wins last season and a World Series appearance and they fire their coach?

Not going to happen if only because they would never get a top of the line coach to come into St. Louis in the future. Why would they come? Even if you have success on the field, you still get fired.

Any 'top of the line coach' will see Matheny for what he is: a lucky product of circumstance.

You think Joe Maddon looks into the opposing dugout and thinks "Man, I'm gonna have to figure out a way to beat THAT guy today...."

No, no he does not. Guys like Maddon and Bochy know they're going to tie Matheny in a knot and feed him his lunch. The guys you would want managing this team will see Matheny's 'ability' for what it is.

Swanman
03-30-2016, 07:57 AM
4 straight playoffs. 100 wins last season and a World Series appearance and they fire their coach?

That's horseshit. Any coach worth a damn would look at the roster and be more than willing to coach the team. Anyone that is even minimally observant would see all of Matheny's failings (favoritism, grinding his starting staff and bullpen to dust, not properly managing Yadi's workload) and the fact that in many cases the team succeeded in spite of his managing.

BigRedChief
03-30-2016, 08:32 AM
Any 'top of the line coach' will see Matheny for what he is: a lucky product of circumstance.

You think Joe Maddon looks into the opposing dugout and thinks "Man, I'm gonna have to figure out a way to beat THAT guy today...."

No, no he does not. Guys like Maddon and Bochy know they're going to tie Matheny in a knot and feed him his lunch. The guys you would want managing this team will see Matheny's 'ability' for what it is.I was on the record for Maddon before we hired Matheny. I knew him pretty well from being down here in Tampa. Thats not happening next year.

So who would you hire?

DJ's left nut
03-30-2016, 08:43 AM
I was on the record for Maddon before we hired Matheny. I knew him pretty well from being down here in Tampa. Thats not happening next year.

So who would you hire?

Dunno.

Matheny hasn't been axed yet and we don't know who's going to be available. I was very pro-Francona when he was out there and yeah, I'd have absolutely fired Matheny to bring in Maddon.

I would take Bud Black over Matheny, though. He's available now so it's fair to assume he'd be there for the taking. I would also be willing to take a chance on Ron Wotus as he's been Bochy's right hand for years and Bochy is a goddamn wizard. The Nationals should have hired him last year instead of Baker.

'Hamas' Jenkins
03-30-2016, 02:14 PM
Anyone have any links for Cards forums that aren't overrun by homers, dumbasses, or hipsters?

Swanman
03-30-2016, 02:18 PM
Anyone have any links for Cards forums that aren't overrun by homers, dumbasses, or hipsters?

Have you met the internet?

My main two sources have been this thread and CardsRockSports but that one has been a ghost town for the most part. Although DJ is good for a few great rants over there.

'Hamas' Jenkins
03-30-2016, 02:28 PM

My main two sources have been this thread and CardsRockSports but that one has been a ghost town for the most part. Although DJ is good for a few great rants over there.

You miss 100% of the shots you don't take.

DJ's left nut
03-30-2016, 02:39 PM

BOTB has been oddly resistant to easing restrictions on signing up for years. I know a handful of others have looked to register over there with no success; something about emails getting bounced back.

As a consequence, the active posters have fallen off a great deal. Probably 10-15 guys drive almost all the conversation there.

Jewish Rabbi
03-30-2016, 03:14 PM

This thread is about the best conversation for Cards talk that I've been able to find, sadly enough.

bdj23
03-30-2016, 03:23 PM

Stltoday.com friendo :)

BigRedChief
03-30-2016, 04:17 PM
Going to the game tomorrow against the Yankees. Businessman special game. 1:00 pm start mid 70's at George Steinbrenner stadium.

Mi_chief_fan
03-30-2016, 05:38 PM
Stltoday.com friendo :)

Is a complete shit storm

bdj23
03-30-2016, 05:49 PM
Is a complete shit storm

That's the only website I've ever been banned from.

BigRedChief
03-31-2016, 10:40 PM
Going to the game tomorrow against the Yankees. Businessman special game. 1:00 pm start mid 70's at George Steinbrenner stadium.lot of red for a Yankee home game.
https://scontent-atl3-1.xx.fbcdn.net/hphotos-xtf1/v/t1.0-9/12400672_10207324015473280_1458468491154808877_n.jpg?oh=1a984f937f9a42266fd9533a9b16dd80&oe=5774E17C

kcpasco
04-01-2016, 12:10 AM
Ruben Tejada the SS to help replace the injured Peralta just went on the DL. :eek:

BigRedChief
04-01-2016, 06:22 AM
Ruben Tejada the SS to help replace the injured Peralta just went on the DL. :eek:Quad strain. What is with this team and quad strains?

bdj23
04-03-2016, 12:23 AM
For better or worse. It's opening day. The march to #12 starts in a few hours.

Let's fucking do this.

Jewish Rabbi
04-03-2016, 07:19 AM
And the opening day first baseman is... Matt Holliday

bdj23
04-03-2016, 08:17 AM
And the opening day first baseman is... Matt Holliday

lol whut?

Jewish Rabbi
04-03-2016, 09:09 AM
lol whut?

I don't know that improving outfield defense at the expense of 1B is the right call, but if it keeps his bat in the lineup all year I guess it's a decent trade.

jd1020
04-03-2016, 09:17 AM
Might as well trade Adams for a couple packages of Big League Chew at this point.

Jewish Rabbi
04-03-2016, 09:32 AM
Might as well trade Adams for a couple packages of Big League Chew at this point.

A couple would be the best deal we've made since Brock.

jd1020
04-03-2016, 09:37 AM
A couple days ago there were articles saying how his stock was rising. The only thing he hits is RHP and I can only assume Cole will be pitching for the Pirates. What's the outfield look like with Holliday at 1st? Piscotty, Grichuk, and Pham? Whole lot of right handers.

'Hamas' Jenkins
04-03-2016, 09:56 AM
A couple days ago there were articles saying how his stock was rising. The only thing he hits is RHP and I can only assume Cole will be pitching for the Pirates. What's the outfield look like with Holliday at 1st? Piscotty, Grichuk, and Pham? Whole lot of right handers.

They should have traded the fat fuck two years ago.

Jewish Rabbi
04-03-2016, 10:09 AM

Liriano is the starter.

jd1020
04-03-2016, 10:13 AM
Liriano is the starter.

Interesting. Cole hurt?

'Hamas' Jenkins
04-03-2016, 10:14 AM
Liriano is the starter.

Cole isn't starting until Tuesday. He's still building up arm strength. Probably won't go very long.

Pasta Little Brioni
04-03-2016, 11:11 AM
Oh yah the turd Pham in the 2 hole

bdj23
04-03-2016, 11:13 AM
Oh yah the turd Pham in the 2 hole

Give it a rest man.

Pasta Little Brioni
04-03-2016, 11:17 AM
Not happening junior. He could be my new Heyturd.

'Hamas' Jenkins
04-03-2016, 11:17 AM
Someone needs to whip John Jaso's ass. Jesus Christ, what a stupid fucking hairstyle.

scho63
04-03-2016, 11:20 AM
Cole hurts his rib cage and they are taking their time bringing him back.

Pasta Little Brioni
04-03-2016, 11:23 AM
Someone needs to whip John Jaso's ass. Jesus Christ, what a stupid fucking hairstyle.

Looks like he should be wrestling for the light heavyweight title instead

'Hamas' Jenkins
04-03-2016, 11:26 AM
Excellent use of your challenge, Mike, you fucking mong.

Pasta Little Brioni
04-03-2016, 11:27 AM
This challenge system is an abortion

Pasta Little Brioni
04-03-2016, 11:29 AM
Well it could be worse aka Imos boy Freese in the 3 spot.

bdj23
04-03-2016, 11:29 AM
Excellent use of your challenge, Mike, you ****ing mong.

Ha. That didn't take long for to him to do something stupid.

bdj23
04-03-2016, 11:41 AM
This looks all too familiar.

Jewish Rabbi
04-03-2016, 11:42 AM
Two innings in and we haven't hit a ball out of the infield yet! So we've got that going for us, which is nice.

Jewish Rabbi
04-03-2016, 11:44 AM
Now Pham's hurt already and that fat sack of shit is in at 1st

bdj23
04-03-2016, 11:53 AM
Well, this is retarded.

Pasta Little Brioni
04-03-2016, 12:20 PM
Now Pham's hurt

Hoora....i mean Darn!

bdj23
04-03-2016, 12:29 PM
Wong is shit.

Swanman
04-03-2016, 12:29 PM
Ladies and gentlemen, John Mabry.

kcpasco
04-03-2016, 12:31 PM
Wong is shit.

He's not complete shit, but he's really not that good. Probably should have traded him a year or so ago.

Jewish Rabbi
Ladies and gentlemen, John Mabry.

Mabry is a sack of shit, but not really his fault Wong chased two balls outside the zone that at bat, including one when Liriano hadn't thrown one close in the last 5 pitches.

'Hamas' Jenkins
I really, really fucking hate Wong.

'Hamas' Jenkins
04-03-2016, 12:34 PM
There is a good chance that this team is going to be bottom three in the NL in homers and top three in Ks.

kcpasco
04-03-2016, 12:38 PM
There is a good chance that this team is going to be bottom three in the NL in homers and top three in Ks.

Oh it's gonna be ugly, and I doubt you can count on the pitching alone to carry them to 100 wins again.

'Hamas' Jenkins
04-03-2016, 01:02 PM
Someone fucking kill Wong.

bdj23
04-03-2016, 01:02 PM
Cut wong.

jd1020
04-03-2016, 01:04 PM
Wong reminds me of when Theriot thought he could hit homeruns every at bat.

'Hamas' Jenkins
04-03-2016, 01:16 PM
Wong can't even apply the tag correctly when Polanco is dead to rights.

He can shove a fucking pineapple up his ass.

jd1020
04-03-2016, 01:17 PM
Wong didn't tag him before he got to the bag but he came off the bag and Wong held the tag.

'Hamas' Jenkins
04-03-2016, 01:19 PM
Wong didn't tag him before he got to the bag but he came off the bag and Wong held the tag.

He got lucky. He just held the glove up by his leg, which allowed Polanco to slide around his tag.

jd1020
04-03-2016, 01:20 PM
He got lucky. He just held the glove up by his leg, which allowed Polanco to slide around his tag.

He probably uses chopsticks.

'Hamas' Jenkins
04-03-2016, 01:25 PM
Send this fat fuck down to Memphis. I don't want to see his corpulent visage again.

'Hamas' Jenkins
04-03-2016, 01:33 PM
The interpreter carries himself like a badass. I like him.

'Hamas' Jenkins
04-03-2016, 01:38 PM
That was a gift.

'Hamas' Jenkins
04-03-2016, 01:40 PM
If Randy Choate ate dogs, he would be Oh.

'Hamas' Jenkins
04-03-2016, 01:53 PM
Perfect time to bring Bowman in, but Matheny brings in Maness, because his bullpen only has four pitchers in it.

kcpasco
04-03-2016, 01:56 PM
A fair question for Mo would be how did you let the offense get this bad.

bdj23
04-03-2016, 01:58 PM
Well, this was an all around clusterfuck of a game.

'Hamas' Jenkins
04-03-2016, 02:07 PM
A fair question for Mo would be how did you let the offense get this bad.

Poor drafting and a terrible ML hitting philosophy.

'Hamas' Jenkins
04-03-2016, 02:09 PM
I don't care if Rob Kaminsky never pitches in a MLB game. That Moss trade is all-time terrible.

Jewish Rabbi
04-03-2016, 02:09 PM
Jesus Christ Moss that bounced in the fucking grass

bdj23
04-03-2016, 02:10 PM
Great ab Mark Reynolds!!!!

'Hamas' Jenkins
04-03-2016, 02:15 PM
I'm just sayin': Carpenter probably should be playing 1st and hitting 3rd and we should have signed Freese to play the hot corner.

'Hamas' Jenkins
04-03-2016, 02:18 PM
Between Adams, Moss, Wong, and Maness there just isn't enough hate to go around.

Jewish Rabbi
04-03-2016, 02:54 PM
Between Adams, Moss, Wong, and Maness there just isn't enough hate to go around.

Don't forget to save some room for Captain Concussion

BigRedChief
04-03-2016, 03:21 PM
And the opening day first baseman is... Matt Hollidayfigure they didn't want Moss or Adams dealing with Lorianno

Mi_chief_fan
04-03-2016, 03:24 PM
Gonna bag a lot of 2-1, 3-2 type losses this year; might be the best pitching staff in the NL, but this offense could be record-breaking bad. I just don't see any improvement, especially since Mo already went all-in on an "in-house" solution.

Fellas, this year might be painful. Luckily, ou rebuilds are always less than a century to complete.

BigRedChief
04-03-2016, 03:26 PM
I'm just sayin': Carpenter probably should be playing 1st and hitting 3rd and we should have signed Freese to play the hot corner.Didn't Freese hit .250 last year with little power? How does that help our offense?

BigRedChief
04-03-2016, 03:27 PM
Fellas, this year might be painful. Luckily, ou rebuilds are always less than a century to complete.ROFL Never too early for Cubs smack.

'Hamas' Jenkins
04-03-2016, 05:27 PM
Didn't Freese hit .250 last year with little power? How does that help our offense?

He would have been our third best hitter last year with a 110wRC.

Put in Freese, move Carp to first and you wouldn't need Moss or Fat Adams.

DJ's left nut
04-03-2016, 06:07 PM
Gonna bag a lot of 2-1, 3-2 type losses this year; might be the best pitching staff in the NL, but this offense could be record-breaking bad. I just don't see any improvement, especially since Mo already went all-in on an "in-house" solution.

Fellas, this year might be painful. Luckily, ou rebuilds are always less than a century to complete.

I do kinda like our low minors.

But DeWitt has shown that he's unwilling to foot the bill to compete during down cycles in our player development system. Our high minors is absolute garbage and was last year as well. Grichuk is a pure mistake hitter and Wong's looking more and more like a fringe starter at best. Fuck Matt Adams in his fat fucking face. Piscotty is the only guy out of this class of players that will be a long-term plus contributor, IMO. Oh I suppose Grichuk's defense in CF could make him a 2-3 WAR guy, but he's never going to be a reliable hitter; he's a hollow offense guy that will beat the hell out of middle-relievers in blowouts and that's it.

The last wave of young hitters just isn't very good so we're stuck waiting in the hopes that DeJong, Bader, Denton, Plummer, Sierra, Kelly and Sosa turn into legit prospects/players. If Mozeliak did his job (unlikely given his track record with young hitters), we should be about 3 years away from the next up-cycle. Sadly, next year's FA class is shit and Mozeliak and co. bitched out of this year's class so what you see right now is what you're getting for at least the next 24 months.

Yes, it's going to be ugly. This isn't a good baseball team.

O.city
04-04-2016, 11:39 AM
Gonna have to sit thru it. Tough it out til the next wave and hope the pitching holds up.

Pham to DL, Diaz up.

DJ's left nut
04-04-2016, 08:26 PM
Glad to see that Heyward has elected to keep that piece of shit swing of his.

I've never seen a player sabotage his power potential like Jason Heyward. Thank God he didn't do anything silly like revert to that textbook power lefty swing he had as a rookie.

jd1020
04-04-2016, 08:32 PM
Glad to see that Heyward has elected to keep that piece of shit swing of his.

I've never seen a player sabotage his power potential like Jason Heyward. Thank God he didn't do anything silly like revert to that textbook power lefty swing he had as a rookie.

I didn't even get to watch the first half inning because for some dumb fuck reason ESPN2 is airing ESPNEWS for me instead of the game, even though the guide says Cubs vs Angels.

Having to use a shitty pixelated free stream.

Fuck Uverse.

jd1020
04-04-2016, 08:37 PM
Arrieta not missing many bats so far.

O.city
04-04-2016, 08:39 PM
I do kinda like our low minors.

But DeWitt has shown that he's unwilling to foot the bill to compete during down cycles in our player development system. Our high minors is absolute garbage and was last year as well. Grichuk is a pure mistake hitter and Wong's looking more and more like a fringe starter at best. **** Matt Adams in his fat ****ing face. Piscotty is the only guy out of this class of players that will be a long-term plus contributor, IMO. Oh I suppose Grichuk's defense in CF could make him a 2-3 WAR guy, but he's never going to be a reliable hitter; he's a hollow offense guy that will beat the hell out of middle-relievers in blowouts and that's it.

The last wave of young hitters just isn't very good so we're stuck waiting in the hopes that DeJong, Bader, Denton, Plummer, Sierra, Kelly and Sosa turn into legit prospects/players. If Mozeliak did his job (unlikely given his track record with young hitters), we should be about 3 years away from the next up-cycle. Sadly, next year's FA class is shit and Mozeliak and co. bitched out of this year's class so what you see right now is what you're getting for at least the next 24 months.

Yes, it's going to be ugly. This isn't a good baseball team.

I was kind of snooping around and from what i've read on DeJong and Bader, they seem to be pretty interesting bats in the system. Did I read right that they skipped single A this year?

They're super high on Grichuk. Dude's got power, but I tend to see him thru the same glasses you do, but for our sanity's sake, hope we're wrong.

DJ's left nut
04-04-2016, 08:53 PM
I didn't even get to watch the first half inning because for some dumb fuck reason ESPN2 is airing ESPNEWS for me instead of the game, even though the guide says Cubs vs Angels.

Having to use a shitty pixelated free stream.

Fuck Uverse.

No free preview for MLB Extra Innings?

In either event, Richards just absolutely butt-fucked Heyward with runners on 1st and 2nd and nobody out. Then Zobrist grounded into a DP to end the inning.

It took $40 million in free agent to fuck up that rally with an assist from Joe Maddon by batting Zobrist 3rd instead of Anthony Rizzo. I'm fairly confident that I'd have gotten a text update if Anthony Rizzo were traded or dead, so in a world where Anthony Rizzo is a real person that you can freely put in your lineup, choosing to bat Ben Zobrist 3rd instead is weapons-grade stupidity.

jd1020
04-04-2016, 08:55 PM
No free preview for MLB Extra Innings?

Nope. Apparently Uverse doesn't like baseball. I just checked on their website for their 450 package, which is their premier package, and they only have NBA and NFL. Pretty retarded.

And ya, this lineup from Joe is questionable to say the least. Move your power down in the lineup for a contact hitter in the 3 hole. Ummmmm.....

DJ's left nut
04-04-2016, 08:57 PM
I was kind of snooping around and from what i've read on DeJong and Bader, they seem to be pretty interesting bats in the system. Did I read right that they skipped single A this year?

They're super high on Grichuk. Dude's got power, but I tend to see him thru the same glasses you do, but for our sanity's sake, hope we're wrong.

Yeah, looks like both guys are going straight to AA. Good thing; we need some legit hitting prospects in the worst way. Now I wonder which one Moe will trade to the Indians to replace Moss/Adams and the gaping hole he left in the OF?

Oh, and they're flat wrong on Grichuk. A player will not succeed at this level with no understanding of the strike zone and Randal Grichuk very clearly still has no understanding of the strike zone.t

He may hit 30 largely meaningless homeruns, but he'll be a liability at the plate in every key spot his entire career. If he's the 6th best hitter in your lineup, you're probably okay carrying him despite his flaws. As the 3rd best? Yeah, you're probably fucked. He's a guy you need to hide in the 6 hole; let him just swing for the downs to re-set the lineup ahead of the dregs (i.e. Molina and Wong....and Adams/Moss....and the pitcher....fuck this lineup is awful)

POND_OF_RED
04-04-2016, 09:15 PM
Nope. Apparently Uverse doesn't like baseball. I just checked on their website for their 450 package, which is their premier package, and they only have NBA and NFL. Pretty retarded.

And ya, this lineup from Joe is questionable to say the least. Move your power down in the lineup for a contact hitter in the 3 hole. Ummmmm.....

Do you live in Chicago? I'm watching the game on MLB tv and it's the ABC7 broadcast so maybe they blacked out the ESPN coverage for local coverage.

O.city
04-04-2016, 09:18 PM
Yeah, looks like both guys are going straight to AA. Good thing; we need some legit hitting prospects in the worst way. Now I wonder which one Moe will trade to the Indians to replace Moss/Adams and the gaping hole he left in the OF?

Oh, and they're flat wrong on Grichuk. A player will not succeed at this level with no understanding of the strike zone and Randal Grichuk very clearly still has no understanding of the strike zone.t

He may hit 30 largely meaningless homeruns, but he'll be a liability at the plate in every key spot his entire career. If he's the 6th best hitter in your lineup, you're probably okay carrying him despite his flaws. As the 3rd best? Yeah, you're probably ****ed. He's a guy you need to hide in the 6 hole; let him just swing for the downs to re-set the lineup ahead of the dregs (i.e. Molina and Wong....and Adams/Moss....and the pitcher....**** this lineup is awful)

Well, they're hoping he figures it out and is their next 3 hitter for a while. Sink or swim time though.

It would be nice for some of those young guys to really come on this year in AA/A etc. We need some bats in the pipeline in the worst way.

I think my Chiefs excitement has gotten me a little down on the Cards this year. They're probably Cardinals it out, win 94 games and the division anyway.

jd1020
04-04-2016, 09:18 PM
Do you live in Chicago? I'm watching the game on MLB tv and it's the ABC7 broadcast so maybe they blacked out the ESPN coverage for local coverage.

I live in Springfield.

jd1020
04-04-2016, 10:23 PM
Fowler coming out going 3-4 with 2 runs. The lack of interest in him during the offseason was pretty shocking. I guess that pick really scared people.

Mi_chief_fan
04-05-2016, 07:15 AM
Fowler coming out going 3-4 with 2 runs. The lack of interest in him during the offseason was pretty shocking. I guess that pick really scared people.

I'd say the fact that he had by far his best career year in a contract year + the pick scared people.

Mi_chief_fan
04-05-2016, 07:17 AM
Well, they're hoping he figures it out and is their next 3 hitter for a while. Sink or swim time though.

It would be nice for some of those young guys to really come on this year in AA/A etc. We need some bats in the pipeline in the worst way.

I think my Chiefs excitement has gotten me a little down on the Cards this year. They're probably Cardinals it out, win 94 games and the division anyway.

Low minors are stocked pretty well, even with these promotions; but it's gonna take time. Painful, painful time.

jd1020
04-05-2016, 07:17 AM
Anyone see the Nick Markakis slide that was deemed illegal? This new rule is stupid.

DJ's left nut
04-05-2016, 09:50 AM
Anyone see the Nick Markakis slide that was deemed illegal? This new rule is stupid.

Saw it in real time - absolutely HATE that rule.

That was a textbook takeout slide. It wasn't dangerous and it wasn't malicous. It was !@#$ing baseball and to call that a double play (when there was no chance of turning it anyway) is just the height of bullshit.

I'm going to despise that damn rule before all is said and done. This game's going to turn into slow pitch softball if it continues at this rate.

rico
04-05-2016, 10:45 AM
Going to one of my best friend's bachelor parties in St. Louis next weekend. We will be watching the Cards vs. Reds on Saturday, the 13th. I can't get over how nice of a deal we are getting...$90 for the ticket, all you can eat buffet and all you can drink tap beer. Crazy. Last year, the few games I went to, I probably spent over $90 in beer alone, easily each time.

Hopefully we don't get kicked out of our hotel and have to resort to staying at a run-down, crazy ass hotel in East St. Louis like we did last year during another one of my friend's bachelor parties. Not sure if any of you remember that, but holy shit, that was insane in the membrane. At our hotel, the brides brother picked a fight with one of the other groomsmen and someone almost got thrown off the balcony...we were way up there...around the 10th floor, so someone was freakishly close to dying that night. We had 3 suites with like 15-20 people...all of us kicked out. Most of the crew resorted to staying the night in their cars (the game was the next day) because every other hotel was booked due to a gay pride parade that weekend... I was one of the 5 jackasses that was stupid and daring enough to stay in that East St. Louis hotel after we got kicked out. That was scary...we arrived at the hotel and there were cops there arresting some black dude...and the guy who was working the front desk was an Indian looking guy with blood streaming down his face. Freaking scary, crazy shit. And the hotel room was disgusting.

Pasta Little Brioni
04-05-2016, 10:47 AM
Why the hell would you go to the East side rico?

Marco Polo
04-05-2016, 10:58 AM
Going to the Rockies Opening Day on Friday, then flying to St. Louis on Friday night and doing the Cardinals Opening Day on Tuesday for the 7th time in 8 years!

rico
04-05-2016, 11:01 AM
Why the hell would you go to the East side rico?

I was tired and pretty drunk, irritated, sleepy and ignorant at the time. It was like 230 am. Plus, being a small town Iowan, you hear of things like crazy places like East, but I guess I really just didn't realize the extent. I mean, my small ass Iowan school wrestled them at an Illinois tourney when I was in high school and the guys on their team (all black) were nice. They were a TERRIBLE wrestlimg team, but all of them were nice...so I never pieced how dangerous that place actually was until I was there.

Pasta Little Brioni
04-05-2016, 11:03 AM
Many grown ass men won't drive through during the day much less post midnight heh

jd1020
04-05-2016, 11:55 AM
And Castro picks up 2 RBI's in his first AB for the Yankees. That trade is really gonna sting if he picks up where he left off last season. He was on fire in spring training.

Jewish Rabbi
04-05-2016, 01:59 PM
And Castro picks up 2 RBI's in his first AB for the Yankees. That trade is really gonna sting if he picks up where he left off last season. He was on fire in spring training.

Go start a Cubs thread.

jd1020
04-05-2016, 02:46 PM
Go start a Cubs thread.

Why would I do that when there's maybe a handful of Cubs fans on this forum and I can just as easily have the 3 or 4 Cubs related conversations outside of a series between the Cardinals in this thread? That just doesn't make much sense. May I suggest untwisting your panties?

Jewish Rabbi
04-05-2016, 03:07 PM
Why would I do that when there's maybe a handful of Cubs fans on this forum and I can just as easily have the 3 or 4 Cubs related conversations outside of a series between the Cardinals in this thread? That just doesn't make much sense. May I suggest untwisting your panties?

There's what? 6 Cardinals fans in this thread?

It's like the 49er trolls posting about them in Chiefs threads when we got Alex.

jd1020
04-05-2016, 03:10 PM
There's what? 6 Cardinals fans in this thread?

It's like the 49er trolls posting about them in Chiefs threads when we got Alex.

I'm going to go out on a limb and say there is way more than 6 Cardinal fans on this forum (and in this thread). There were 6 different ones posting on the last page alone in a 15 page thread. You really suck at this.

Marcellus
04-05-2016, 03:11 PM
I don't think it's a huge deal but someone could start a general MLB 2016 thread where fans of non Missouri teams could talk baseball,along with Royals and Cards fans, if they wished.

Jewish Rabbi
04-05-2016, 03:17 PM
I'm going to go out on a limb and say there is way more than 6 Cardinal fans on this forum (and in this thread). There were 6 different ones posting on the last page alone in a 15 page thread. You really suck at this.

I'll go out on a limb and say there's more than 6 Cubs fans, too.

BigRedChief
04-05-2016, 03:45 PM

He may hit 30 largely meaningless homeruns, but he'll be a liability at the plate in every key spot his entire career. If he's the 6th best hitter in your lineup, you're probably okay carrying him despite his flaws. As the 3rd best? Yeah, you're probably fucked. He's a guy you need to hide in the 6 hole; let him just swing for the downs to re-set the lineup ahead of the dregs (i.e. Molina and Wong....and Adams/Moss....and the pitcher....fuck this lineup is awful)As always you bring a lot to this thread. I thought that cover was bare with hitters in the minors. Looked at some blogs/articles on the minor league players. Looking good but it does seem the arrival time is 2018-19.

Still going to have 3-4 years of Reyes and you can expect Martinez or Wacha to get a big contract if they are still healthy. Getting "real' number 1/2's are the hardest to find and keep.

DJ's left nut
04-05-2016, 03:46 PM
I second JD's motion.

Lighten up, gentlemen. We'd hate to see it become a Royals GDT in here where anytime someone says something critical about the hometown 9 (or anything at all that isn't openly scrubbing their balls, including commenting on the weather) we lose our collective shit.

BigRedChief
04-05-2016, 03:49 PM
Why would I do that when there's maybe a handful of Cubs fans on this forum and I can just as easily have the 3 or 4 Cubs related conversations outside of a series between the Cardinals in this thread? That just doesn't make much sense. May I suggest untwisting your panties?I don't have a problem with this at all. But its really the group that has set the tone in these Cardinal threads over the years on here. If they feel differently, thats okay too.

As was already discussed, its hard to find non-homer Cardinal talk on the net. I wouldn't want to chase people off.

Jewish Rabbi
04-05-2016, 03:52 PM
I second JD's motion.

Lighten up, gentlemen. We'd hate to see it become a Royals GDT in here where anytime someone says something critical about the hometown 9 (or anything at all that isn't openly scrubbing their balls, including commenting on the weather) we lose our collective shit.

I'm as critical as anyone (well, maybe not as critical as you and Hamas :D), but it just doesn't make sense to have posts in here that have literally nothing to do with the Cardinals.

BigRedChief
04-05-2016, 03:53 PM
I second JD's motion.

Lighten up, gentlemen. We'd hate to see it become a Royals GDT in here where anytime someone says something critical about the hometown 9 (or anything at all that isn't openly scrubbing their balls, including commenting on the weather) we lose our collective shit.I agree. I lean towards the homer side for sure but I don't want a homer thread. or you get trashed for being critical. You can get that on STL today. I think the way its always been in here works for most fans.

jd1020
04-05-2016, 03:53 PM
I'm as critical as anyone (well, maybe not as critical as you and Hamas :D), but it just doesn't make sense to have posts in here that have literally nothing to do with the Cardinals.

Are you suggesting there is no relationship between the Cubs and Cardinals?

raybec 4
04-05-2016, 03:55 PM

Good lord man, who really gives a shit?

Mi_chief_fan
04-05-2016, 05:07 PM
I'll go out on a limb and say there's more than 6 Cubs fans, too.

As long as they're winning at least.

Jewish Rabbi
04-05-2016, 05:17 PM
As long as they're winning at least.

They're sure coming out of the woodwork this year.

ChiefsCountry
04-05-2016, 05:35 PM
Looking ahead you got to think the Cardinals will have to be on Josh Reddick this offseason. He makes perfect sense for the Cardinals. Good glove, solid bat. Could easily slide into Holiday's payroll spot.

bdj23
04-05-2016, 05:44 PM
Spotted the pirates another insurmountable lead.

bdj23
04-05-2016, 05:52 PM
Spotted the pirates another insurmountable lead.

Good call

jd1020
04-05-2016, 05:53 PM
Marte having a rough night in the OF. I thought he probably should have caught that Moss hit and then the error that costs a run.

jd1020
04-05-2016, 06:01 PM
Nice throw by Piscotty. Pretty terrible slide by McCutchen.

O.city
04-05-2016, 06:09 PM
So, what's the deal with diaz?

kcpasco
04-05-2016, 06:13 PM
Hoping that Wacha eventually gets back to being good Wacha.

BigRedChief
04-05-2016, 06:21 PM
So, what's the deal with diaz?Several articles say he was hurt the first two years and didn't put max effort in but the last 1/2 season and spring training is getting him the call up with Tejuda getting hurt.

Could be as much BS as those Adams is in great shape stories. But, we sure could use a .280 hitting SS.

BigRedChief
04-05-2016, 06:22 PM
Nice throw by Piscotty. Pretty terrible slide by McCutchen.Haywardesque type of throw

Jewish Rabbi
04-05-2016, 06:30 PM
Several articles say he was hurt the first two years and didn't put max effort in but the last 1/2 season and spring training is getting him the call up with Tejuda getting hurt.

Could be as much BS as those Adams is in great shape stories. But, we sure could use a .280 hitting SS.

I haven't heard poor effort, but that he had hurt his arm during his showcase for MLB teams and didn't recover until the middle of last year.

Jewish Rabbi
04-05-2016, 06:31 PM
Terrible outfield D tonight

Jewish Rabbi
04-05-2016, 06:32 PM
The Pirates really don't wanna win this game 😂

eDave
04-05-2016, 06:37 PM
Best of luck to the Cards and their fans!

jd1020
04-05-2016, 06:45 PM
Just noticed Wacha's pitch count.

:eek:

jd1020
04-05-2016, 06:48 PM
One ugly fucking game.

bdj23
04-05-2016, 06:53 PM

Mi_chief_fan
04-05-2016, 07:08 PM
Oh looked filthy good. There's something to get excited about

BigRedChief
04-05-2016, 07:25 PM
Oh looked filthy good. There's something to get excited aboutOur bullpen is going to be damn good this year.

bdj23
04-05-2016, 07:49 PM
Wong is shit.

Marcellus
04-05-2016, 07:51 PM
The best hitter on the team sac bunted a runner to 2nd base in the 7th inning of a tie game. Thats nutless baseball.

bdj23
04-05-2016, 07:56 PM
The best hitter on the team sac bunted a runner to 2nd base in the 7th inning of a tie game. Thats nutless baseball.

At least he can get a fucking bunt down. The guy who is supposed to be our leadoff hitter is absolutely worthless with RISP.

bdj23
04-05-2016, 07:57 PM
Now walk it off on us so i can go to bed pissed off.

BigRedChief
04-05-2016, 08:04 PM
The best hitter on the team sac bunted a runner to 2nd base in the 7th inning of a tie game. Thats nutless baseball.I fucking hate that BS. He's your best hitter, good contact hitter. Let him put the ball in play.

Jewish Rabbi
04-05-2016, 08:27 PM
Does Wong actively try to be terrible as fuck?

bdj23
04-05-2016, 08:36 PM
This team sucks.

Jewish Rabbi
04-05-2016, 08:37 PM
Got Mathenyed there. Took out our only legitimate shortstop. Diaz probably makes that play.

BigRedChief
04-06-2016, 01:26 PM
Got Mathenyed there. Took out our only legitimate shortstop. Diaz probably makes that play.Diaz fucked up a play in the 5th inning that cost us too.