PDA

View Full Version : Football 2016 salary cap will be 155m+

BossChief
02-15-2016, 01:26 PM
https://mobile.twitter.com/rand_getlin/status/699289450166104066

Before any cuts or signings, that should give us at least 35m in space to work with.

MotherfuckerJones
02-15-2016, 01:47 PM
$$$$$$. Spend it on defense and maybe an olineman. Rest well build through the draft.

pugsnotdrugs19
02-15-2016, 02:05 PM
According to OverTheCap, we have about 28 million right now in space based on a 152.5 cap. So we'd really only have like 31 million in space it would seem.

TigeRRUppeRRcut
02-15-2016, 02:16 PM
5-6 mil #2 receiver, 8-10 mil Safety or DE, 5-7 mil ILB or Corner, 4-5 mil OL, tenders for Harris and West, 2 year contract for DJ

Then draft the missing pieces. 1st round you have to think we go with best available if we are looking for OL, WR, or linebacker. We can still cut Grubbs and relieve a few million.

It will be really hard for Dorsey to mess things up going into next season. We have to say goodbye to a few players which would probably look like Abdullah and either Howard or Smith.

BossChief
02-15-2016, 02:36 PM
According to OverTheCap, we have about 28 million right now in space based on a 152.5 cap. So we'd really only have like 31 million in space it would seem.

They've updated their site now and have us at 32.8m (http://overthecap.com/salary-cap-space) in cap space, not including the rollover...which was 2.2m making it a really close to even 35m

They will save another million when they cut Fanaika and can save another 3.9m by making Grubbs a June 1st cut.

pugsnotdrugs19
02-15-2016, 02:50 PM
They've updated their site now and have us at 32.8m (http://overthecap.com/salary-cap-space) in cap space, not including the rollover...which was 2.2m making it a really close to even 35m

They will save another million when they cut Fanaika and can save another 3.9m by making Grubbs a June 1st cut.

Hmm.. if all you say comes to fruition, they really might be able to afford to franchise either Smith or Howard.. assuming they ever wrap up the Berry negotiations.

DaneMcCloud
02-15-2016, 03:23 PM
If the Chiefs don't re-sign all of their own, it's because they want to move on from that player.

BossChief
02-15-2016, 03:27 PM
If the Chiefs don't re-sign all of their own, it's because they want to move on from that player.

Exactly what Ive been saying for months.

The ONLY reason they will let anyone walk is if they don't want them back or feel they can upgrade the team more by utulizing those resources elsewhere.

I see them getting deals done with Berry, DJ, Howard and maybe Allen...I think Hali will ultimately decide to retire due to knee issues and the team will be sitting on around 15m to spend (after the rookie pool) in FA to bolster the roster.

pugsnotdrugs19
02-15-2016, 03:29 PM

That's not entirely true. If one of those guys wants to test the market (other than Berry, who would get tagged first), they likely will do so and another team like Oakland can get stupid with their money.

Now, if Berry takes his 10M, Hali and DJ combine to take 8-10 and Smith and/or Howard decide they want to take a discount, then sure they can keep them all. I understand too that they can make lower cap hits in the first year and all that, but you have to think down the road too. Dorsey has stated a few times now that all of his decision making is made with long term competitiveness in mind. He wants a solid team every year, not just an all or nothing.

pugsnotdrugs19
02-15-2016, 03:44 PM
They're going to have roughly 36-37 million to spend it sounds like.

Structure the Berry deal (which will likely be 10 per year) to count for 7 this year. You have about 30 left.

Bring back DJ and Hali on 1 or maybe 2 year deals. High guarantees. They take a discount to chase the ring a couple more times, combining for 9 million dollar hit. 21M left.

With that 21M, you take 5 off for the draft. 16 million remains to bring back other players, and/or sign free agents. What would you do with that 16? I certainly wouldn't be using it on FT for Smith which would eat nearly 15 of it. Cross that out and cross it out for Howard. That's where keeping them gets tough. Maybe you just use the money to address other areas? Wish the puzzle would start to unfold already.

Hoover
02-15-2016, 03:57 PM
5-6 mil #2 receiver, 8-10 mil Safety or DE, 5-7 mil ILB or Corner, 4-5 mil OL, tenders for Harris and West, 2 year contract for DJ

Then draft the missing pieces. 1st round you have to think we go with best available if we are looking for OL, WR, or linebacker. We can still cut Grubbs and relieve a few million.

It will be really hard for Dorsey to mess things up going into next season. We have to say goodbye to a few players which would probably look like Abdullah and either Howard or Smith.

Personally, I'd like to get a guy like Mike Williams on a discount price and let him compete to be our #2 WR

RunKC
02-15-2016, 03:58 PM
If we have $35m starting off, it will get to 40 once we cut/restructure some guys.

Hoover
02-15-2016, 03:59 PM
If we have $35m starting off, it will get to 40 once we cut/restructure some guys.
and if we have that I think we should keep Sean Smith around. Just don't do a stupid long term deal with huge signing bonus.

Mr. Laz
02-15-2016, 04:29 PM
According to OverTheCap, we have about 28 million right now in space based on a 152.5 cap. So we'd really only have like 31 million in space it would seem.with all the high dollar guys we have coming open in FA, 31 million will disappear in a heartbeat unless we really push money around.

Eric Berry 10+ million per year
Sean Smith 10 million per year
DJ 5-7 million per year

about 5 million left

That even going by the stupid idea that Howard is JAG and not worth keeping :banghead:

http://113.imagebam.com/download/eEENtKgjjqvUvNiCylWFyA/46549/465487884/7.JPG

O.city
02-15-2016, 05:34 PM
Giving berry 10 million won't necessarily make his cap hit 10 million this year.

If they wanna keep whoever, they can. Doesn't make it smart, but they can structure the contract to make them work.

At some time, the butcher bill comes due though.

I'd probably sacrifice Sean smith to keep Howard at this point.

eDave
02-15-2016, 05:36 PM
Exactly what Ive been saying for months.

The ONLY reason they will let anyone walk is if they don't want them back or feel they can upgrade the team more by utulizing those resources elsewhere.

I see them getting deals done with Berry, DJ, Howard and maybe Allen...I think Hali will ultimately decide to retire due to knee issues and the team will be sitting on around 15m to spend (after the rookie pool) in FA to bolster the roster.

Feels good.

BossChief
02-15-2016, 06:01 PM
Giving berry 10 million won't necessarily make his cap hit 10 million this year.

If they wanna keep whoever, they can. Doesn't make it smart, but they can structure the contract to make them work.

Part of me worries about losing SS, then I realize who's running the team.

CB has probably been Dorsey's best position to scout going back to GB through his time here. He has an eye for good ones and our coaching for the position is second to none.

I'm confident that if SS leaves, he will be replaced with someone competent.

We may even upgrade by adding someone younger and with better ball skills.

RunKC
02-15-2016, 06:12 PM
Dorsey did such a great job with the cap last offseason. I think we should cut Mauga/Grubbs/Cooper/Fanaika and restructure Colquitt. That alone would put us at $40m. Imagine getting a new deal done for Fisher to lower the first year hit and have even more room?

I think we can keep every one of our core guys and add an external FA to start.

I hope we can either sign Lane or Johnson (pipe dream but it would be amazing) to replace Sean Smith or if worst comes to worst, we have enough to franchise him and draft a good CB in the first 2 rounds to go 4 strong and then take over in 2017.

Either way, I really want us to draft a CB and DL in the first 4 rounds. It's too good of a class to pass that up.

ClevelandBronco
02-15-2016, 06:41 PM
You guys have a salary cap?

scho63
02-15-2016, 06:45 PM
Raiders can do much damage in FA

kccrow
02-15-2016, 06:45 PM
Interesting, given reports coming out of the Owner's meetings were that the owners were told it would be between 150.0 and 153.5 million. Quite contradictory. I'm not sure I believe this just yet. We'll see.

Mr. Laz
02-15-2016, 06:46 PM
You guys have a salary cap?

bastard :sulk:

JoeyChuckles
02-15-2016, 07:15 PM
Raiders can do much damage in FA

How many teams successfully build primarily through Free Agency?

BossChief
02-15-2016, 07:28 PM

I said it when the Chiefs were cap rich a few years back. They should identifyi 2-3 key free agents each year and front load the deals so the cap hits are taken now.

They could keep a surplus if they use this strategy and never really lose players to FA while continuing to build the roster.

Continue to front load deals every year for high character guys and once your drafted core is in their prime, you have more flexibility to really go all in for a huge run of a couple years where you seemingly have a deep and talented roster and no cap problems.

kccrow
02-15-2016, 07:33 PM
I said it when the Chiefs were cap rich a few years back. They should identifyi 2-3 key free agents each year and front load the deals so the cap hits are taken now.

They could keep a surplus if they use this strategy and never really lose players to FA while continuing to build the roster.

Continue to front load deals every year for high character guys and once your drafted core is in their prime, you have more flexibility to really go all in for a huge run of a couple years where you seemingly have a deep and talented roster and no cap problems.

Theoretically better to back load deals, expecting not to end up paying out money in the final year/years of it. You can turn salary into signing bonus money to extend contracts and keep your cap in good shape. You can more easily cut players late into their contracts. I'm not a fan of front loading because you're more or less guaranteeing you're going to pay more cash than if you back load the the deal. And fuck hyphens, I didn't feel like using hyphens.

scho63
02-16-2016, 11:34 AM

Bulld no, but they could sign 3-4 major impact players in their prime easily.

pugsnotdrugs19
02-16-2016, 01:03 PM
You can build through free agency, sure.

IF you draft well too. Look at Dungver. They've made a ton of splash signings the last few years, but unfortunately they've done pretty damn good with the draft too. And so, it all works out.

MotherfuckerJones
02-16-2016, 02:23 PM

Me too. I'd franchise Howard in order to make sure he's a chief in '16

Mr. Laz
02-16-2016, 02:35 PM
You can build through free agency, sure.

IF you draft well too. Look at Dungver. They've made a ton of splash signings the last few years, but unfortunately they've done pretty damn good with the draft too. And so, it all works out.

If you really want to be a super bowl contender, you need to do both.

drafting well allows you to use more money in FA and keep more of your own