PDA

View Full Version : Misc Car Question

Gravedigger
02-22-2016, 09:23 PM
Make fun of me for saying this first part, but I took my car by NTB for an oil change and tire rotation recently on January 11th. In early February my strut spring snapped on my car so I took it to another shop with great ratings called KC Complete Auto. The first thing they said on my paperwork was that I needed to change my oil. I questioned them, "I just got an oil change through NTB, what'd you see that was off?" He told me the oil looked well beyond just a few hundred miles and that I should change it soon. I scoffed a little bit and walked away.

Low and behold tonight my change oil light comes on. I've always changed my oil when that light comes on, throughout the entirety of the car I never let it get much over 3000 miles and she's at 184000 miles now and still kicking with no major issues outside of this most recent strut spring.

My question is, I think NTB is full of shit and I plan on letting them know that tomorrow, I'm just asking is there anything I could be missing as to why my car's change oil light comes on 1200 miles into an oil change? Bad sensor? Something is leaked into my oil making it look like what it does? The only thing I question about that is KC Complete Auto found a leak where NTB didn't, and KC told me that it was just a small coolant leak that should be watched, and not necessarily had to be changed.

I'll be honest, I hate NTB with a passion. I've only been to them three times and all three times have been annoying and have taken way too long for the services they provided me.

What should my next move be for the car experts out there?

kccrow
02-22-2016, 09:32 PM
Make fun of me for saying this first part, but I took my car by NTB for an oil change and tire rotation recently on January 11th. In early February my strut spring snapped on my car so I took it to another shop with great ratings called KC Complete Auto. The first thing they said on my paperwork was that I needed to change my oil. I questioned them, "I just got an oil change through NTB, what'd you see that was off?" He told me the oil looked well beyond just a few hundred miles and that I should change it soon. I scoffed a little bit and walked away.

Low and behold tonight my change oil light comes on. I've always changed my oil when that light comes on, throughout the entirety of the car I never let it get much over 3000 miles and she's at 184000 miles now and still kicking with no major issues outside of this most recent strut spring.

My question is, I think NTB is full of shit and I plan on letting them know that tomorrow, I'm just asking is there anything I could be missing as to why my car's change oil light comes on 1200 miles into an oil change? Bad sensor? Something is leaked into my oil making it look like what it does? The only thing I question about that is KC Complete Auto found a leak where NTB didn't, and KC told me that it was just a small coolant leak that should be watched, and not necessarily had to be changed.

I'll be honest, I hate NTB with a passion. I've only been to them three times and all three times have been annoying and have taken way too long for the services they provided me.

What should my next move be for the car experts out there?

You'd be able to tell if something was leaking into your oil. Either it would smell like fuel if that was getting in there or it'd be foamy or milky if there was coolant in there.

As for the light coming on, if they legitimately reset the notification, then it might be a sensor. Although, with our Tahoe, the light comes on every 1,000 miles you go over or so, IIRC. You might have gotten ripped off. I'll let the experts, like JASONSAUTO, chime in on this part though.

TrebMaxx
02-22-2016, 09:34 PM
On my F-150 I have to reset the change oil each time I put do a change. Maybe it wasn't reset.

rtmike
02-22-2016, 09:43 PM
Yeah, every time I attempt an online designation JASONS catches something.

He's your man.
I don't think oil analysis are as expensive as they used to be.

Local newspapers like these kinds of stories.

Dayze
02-22-2016, 10:02 PM
JASONSAUTO would be a good resource if he wasn't a lying cheat!

/ The Idiot Nutbag Who Argued About Standard Billable Hours (or some bullshit)

Demonpenz
02-22-2016, 10:08 PM
NTB LMAO...was Showbiz pizza closed?

Bugeater
02-22-2016, 10:12 PM
I've never had a vehicle with an oil change light, but my wife's last couple cars have had them. I figured they just came on after a certain amount of miles. They're annoying because 1) she starts nagging me about an oil change and 2) I have to look up how to reset the damn thing each time because the interval is just long enough for me to forget how to do it.

And I know that doesn't answer the OP's question or really help in any way at all but I rarely miss an opportunity to bitch about something.

SAUTO
02-22-2016, 10:14 PM
The guy at ntb probably forgot to reset the oil life monitor. I would hope they changed the oil if they charged you for it...

SAUTO
02-22-2016, 10:15 PM
Did you look at your oil yourself at any point?

Gravedigger
02-22-2016, 10:17 PM

I will tomorrow, my change oil light was on when I got the oil changed at NTB on Jan 11th. So they reset the light, it just now came on again. I just hate the bullshit because my car is at 184000 miles, I can't afford her to take a hit because some asshole decided not to change my oil.

hometeam
02-22-2016, 10:22 PM
What car is it? Most cars with intelligent oil life monitors are late model, the chances are you have an oil life monitor that goes by miles and is reset manually.

SAUTO
02-22-2016, 10:26 PM
What car is it? Most cars with intelligent oil life monitors are late model, the chances are you have an oil life monitor that goes by miles and is reset manually.

That's what I'm thinking too.

chiefforlife
02-22-2016, 10:41 PM
I agree, they probably forgot to reset your oil change light. If it isnt on when you bring it in, its easy to overlook. I know, its something that should always be reset but trust me, it gets overlooked.
We dont always have our Best Techs do the oil changes because we cant. Its usually the low man in the shop performing this task as it makes NO MONEY.
Dont always assume the worst, give them the benefit of the doubt. I have no idea what NTB is, I am guessing an oil change only place? I would highly recommend you go to an actual shop.

EDIT, because I just read that the light was on when you brought it in. If it was reset at that time, there is another issue, I now am curious if they did change your oil, doesnt mean they didnt but...

Gravedigger
02-23-2016, 12:41 AM
2004 Pontiac Grand Am. It might be they forgot to reset the sensor, but why would the other shop I took it to tell me I need to get my oil changed?

Gonzo
02-23-2016, 12:49 AM
If you do a lot of stop and go driving, dirt roads, rural driving etc. you might not be able to tell if it's been over a few hundred miles.

KC2004
02-23-2016, 01:34 AM
In early February my strut spring snapped on my car so I took it to another shop with great ratings called KC Complete Auto. The first thing they said on my paperwork was that I needed to change my oil. I questioned them, "I just got an oil change through NTB, what'd you see that was off?" He told me the oil looked well beyond just a few hundred miles and that I should change it soon.

My only question is why was the second company checking your oil when you brought it in for a broken strut? I'm just curious. I do all the repairs on my vehicles and it never crossed my mind to check the oil when I had a suspension problem. Seems odd. Hell maybe its a standard check with the second company on all repairs. Just wondering.

chinaski
02-23-2016, 06:53 AM
First of all, as mentioned by others, the oil change light is tripped by mileage...google your the make and model of your car + turning off oil change light. There is probably a small procedure along the lines of holding down the odometer button and cycling the key a few times, or something similar.

Secondly, you should have asked where the coolant leak was coming from. If coolant is leaking into your oil, the oil will appear milky white/frothy. From your post, it doesn't appear they told you that was the case, just that you had a 'small' coolant leak. If you did indeed have coolant leaking into your oil, that would indicate a blown head gasket, and more than likely if that was the case your car would be spewing white smoke.

Did you look at the oil yourself? Do this, go out to your car, and inspect the oil. If it's relatively fresh, it should be clear/light brown in coloration. Old oil will be substantially darker.

Go out and inspect for a coolant leak yourself...

Places coolant can leak from:

Radiator Cap
Radiator (or perhaps a sensor on the radiator)
Upper/Lower Radiator Hose
Intake Manifold (Gasket)
Thermostat Housing/Water Neck

Have you seen any antifreeze leaks on the ground after you park it?

chinaski
02-23-2016, 06:59 AM
I googled shutting off the oil light on your 2004 Grand Am

https://answers.yahoo.com/question/index?qid=20100518130343AAUjjKk

https://answers.yahoo.com/question/index?qid=20080916124415AAsUo4m

MahiMike
02-23-2016, 07:08 AM
What color is the oil is the question. If it doesn't look like honey, they didn't change the oil/filter.

Hog's Gone Fishin
02-23-2016, 07:13 AM

This, inspect it yourself. Although you can do a visual inspection the best way is a taste test. Fresh oil will have a bitter honey taste. As it wears it becomes really flat , like stale coffee. Although it also depends on the brand. Pennzoil tastes just like honey while Castrol has a definitive lemon taste. But either way if it just tastes like shit then you need to change it. Oh and wear a bib so people don't think you're stuped !

Bugeater
02-27-2016, 02:52 PM
Okay, time to rant. I usually change my own oil, but sometimes I get busy and I don't have time to get to it so I'll take it somewhere to have it done. And IT NEVER FUCKING FAILS, no matter where I take it, I CAN'T GET THE GODDAMN OIL FILTER OFF THE NEXT TIME I DO IT.

Why do all these motherfuckers think they need to torque the fucking thing down to 300 ft-lbs? SAUTO, do you do this?

lewdog
02-27-2016, 02:58 PM
Okay, time to rant. I usually change my own oil, but sometimes I get busy and I don't have time to get to it so I'll take it somewhere to have it done. And IT NEVER FUCKING FAILS, no matter where I take it, I CAN'T GET THE GODDAMN OIL FILTER OFF THE NEXT TIME I DO IT.

Why do all these motherfuckers think they need to torque the fucking thing down to 300 ft-lbs? SAUTO, do you do this?

Because they are rubes and probably are wrench tightening that thing.

I hand tighten only after rubbing a little oil on the oil filer ring right before putting it on there. It's all you need.

Buehler445
02-27-2016, 03:21 PM

I had a similar rant after I bought this recent pickup. I was so pissed. There wasn't shit for room to get channel locks or even a filter strap on it. The FUCKING DIRECTIONS say 1/4 turn after the O-ring makes contact. The motherfuckers.

Bugeater
02-27-2016, 03:29 PM
Because they are rubes and probably are wrench tightening that thing.

I hand tighten only after rubbing a little oil on the oil filer ring right before putting it on there. It's all you need.
Exactly. In my 30 years of driving, I've never had a hand-tightened oil filter leak or come loose. I have also never, not even once, had the slightest problem getting one off that I had put on.

I had a similar rant after I bought this recent pickup. I was so pissed. There wasn't shit for room to get channel locks or even a filter strap on it. The FUCKING DIRECTIONS say 1/4 turn after the O-ring makes contact. The motherfuckers.
I always dread doing the first oil change on a vehicle because I know what I'm in for. And the worst thing is usually you don't realize it until after you've drained the oil so you can't even take it anywhere.

SAUTO
02-27-2016, 04:00 PM

I only install them by hand

Delaney37
02-27-2016, 05:12 PM
I had a similar rant after I bought this recent pickup. I was so pissed. There wasn't shit for room to get channel locks or even a filter strap on it. The ****ING DIRECTIONS say 1/4 turn after the O-ring makes contact. The mother****ers.

Same here. I ended up driving a phillips screwdriver through the filter and had to hit with a hammer to break the filter loose enough to finish it by hand. I've saved the filter and plan on having a chat with the manager next time I drop off waste oil.

Dayze
02-27-2016, 05:15 PM
Ever try to remove a wheel after an NTB lime operation has rotated your tires? Jfc.....next to impossible.

Bugeater
02-27-2016, 05:31 PM
I only install them by hand
I swear you must be the only one that does.

CapsLockKey
02-27-2016, 05:33 PM
As others have said, the change oil light doesn't mean much as it's based on miles and how the car is driven. It's still possible they didn't change the oil, but the light isn't evidence of it. Just means they didn't reset it.

Bugeater
02-27-2016, 05:35 PM
Ever try to remove a wheel after an NTB lime operation has rotated your tires? Jfc.....next to impossible.
I had an absolute bitch of a time with one of the wife's old cars years ago, the rear wheels fit on to the hubs and drums really tight and they were different types of metal so they were basically fused together. I ended up soaking the shit out of them with liquid wrench overnight and was able to beat them off the next day. I always put a layer of grease on them after that.

SAUTO
02-27-2016, 06:27 PM
Dodge dually rears are the worst.

I've driven them around blocks and blocks with just the inners on and loose lug nuts and them still be stuck on.

SAUTO
02-27-2016, 06:29 PM
I swear you must be the only one that does.

And I oil every o ring too.

Most times I can pull em by hand too but my lof guy usually needs a helper. He's got little hands