PDA

View Full Version : Football Brock Osweiler for 19m per?

BossChief
02-26-2016, 09:33 PM
I guess Adam Schefter was on the radio today saying that there's no way he signs for what Denver is hoping to extend him for and that some team will offer him 19m per year.

With Peyton retiring and Brock costing so much that it's prohibitive to keep him, it looks like Denver will be fishing for a new starting QB for 2016.

Coochie liquor
02-26-2016, 09:37 PM
If you think Smellway doesn't have some backup plans you're mistaken. He understands the significance of a good qb (not that I think Broke Brock Mountain is).

ClevelandBronco
02-26-2016, 09:38 PM
The odds that a team is willing to pay him close to that figure are better than the odds that he'll play at a level commensurate with a figure that high. If it comes down to that, I thank him for his contribution to this Super Bowl season and wish him the very best of luck in his next position.

DaneMcCloud
02-26-2016, 09:40 PM
Good grief.

Take the money and run, Brock.

That's absurd.

Red Dawg
02-26-2016, 09:41 PM
Stafford will be in Denver. Lions want him gone so Elway will trade for him.

TribalElder
02-26-2016, 09:49 PM
Expect Elway to sign Andrew Luck

eDave
02-26-2016, 09:50 PM
Yea. Take $19M and be happy.

So much money in the NFL.

the Talking Can
02-26-2016, 09:52 PM
http://i.imgur.com/iIyWg.gif

Quesadilla Joe
02-26-2016, 10:12 PM
Handing out a deal like that to an unproven guy like Brock could get a GM fired if it doesn't work out. Houston is the only team that I'm worried about because Rick Smith and O'Brien will probably be fired if they don't find a QB, and Goff ain't falling to 22. They just might be desperate enough to do something stupid...

Gravedigger
02-26-2016, 10:20 PM
He'll get released, he'll get a Matt Flynn like deal only to fail later. It won't be 19 million, it'll be like 12 million per for four years. Probably with the Texans. Texans fans will be pissed, they'll rely on their JJ Watt like always.

DaFace
02-26-2016, 10:20 PM
Yeesh...if that were to happen it would inflate the entire QB market. No way in hell does he deserve that kind of contract after looking good in like 4 games.

kccrow
02-26-2016, 10:25 PM
Denver would be smart to put quite a few performance escalators into a smaller contract. 15 million per with up to 4 million per in performance escalators would be the way I'd approach it as Denver. Anything over that is insane at this point.

As for Osweiler, he could push for voidable years at the end of the contract so that he can get out of a deal if he outperforms the deal.

listopencil
02-26-2016, 10:31 PM
He'll get released, he'll get a Matt Flynn like deal only to fail later. It won't be 19 million, it'll be like 12 million per for four years. Probably with the Texans. Texans fans will be pissed, they'll rely on their JJ Watt like always.

If they plan to use him as the starter I could see doing a four year deal with a $10 MIL per year base salary and a $10 signing bonus, bringing it to 12.5 per year. But he is a FA. So it's not a matter of being let go. His contract expires shortly.

oldman
02-26-2016, 10:42 PM
I'll take "Are you kidding me" for $600, Alex.

BigChiefFan
02-26-2016, 11:24 PM
I sure hope the Broncos pay him and hamstring their organization for the next few years.

RobBlake
02-27-2016, 01:52 AM
http://rs54.pbsrc.com/albums/g84/maizepaw/GIF%20Spam/n4hb4k.gif~c200

scho63
02-27-2016, 07:06 AM
I'm sure horseface will somehow pull a magic rabbit out of his ass that miraculously keeps them well under the salary cap. :rolleyes:

synthesis2
02-27-2016, 07:51 AM
I hope he is more reasonable and they give him a 7 year 100 million plus contact, the dude will be a dud and open things up for us for many years. As a fellow ASU grad I followed him all throughout college and he is average at best, has all the skills but zero upstairs.

Herewego
02-27-2016, 07:53 AM
I'll take "Are you kidding me" for $600, Alex.

ROFL

Mile High Mania
02-27-2016, 08:31 AM
If they can't find a reasonable middle ground ... then yeah, see ya later Brock.

nychief
02-27-2016, 08:32 AM
Who cares? They don't need a QB.

TigeRRUppeRRcut
02-27-2016, 08:48 AM
Maybe if it's a pay as you go contract. No way even a third of that gets guaranteed if it's a 5 year contract

TigeRRUppeRRcut
02-27-2016, 08:49 AM
I hope he is more reasonable and they give him a 7 year 100 million plus contact, the dude will be a dud and open things up for us for many years. As a fellow ASU grad I followed him all throughout college and he is average at best, has all the skills but zero upstairs.

His release also stinks. FWIW.

Pasta Little Brioni
02-27-2016, 10:17 AM
He's an awful QB. I hope Denver re signs him

MahiMike
02-27-2016, 10:22 AM
Chase Daniel on line 1...

Molitoth
02-27-2016, 10:43 AM
Somehow Denver will come out of this with a competitive QB who will compete for the division.... they always do.

salame
02-27-2016, 10:49 AM
I hope he stays there, gets WAY overpaid, and fucks them both on the field and in the salary cap dept.

rico
02-27-2016, 02:07 PM
I sure hope the Broncos pay him and hamstring their organization for the next few years.

Yep. This. The guy did not impress me at all in the 2 games I watched him in. He is just really....tall. A statue with an odd release. Donks are in trouble if they handcuff themselves to him.

ClevelandBronco
02-27-2016, 02:16 PM
As long as Elway stands by this, Brock will either be affordable or he'll be gone:

“But if I look at Brock Osweiler, if I’m in his shoes, I look at a place where I could be successful and in a system that fits me. And I will tell you this now, and I’m putting on my G.M. hat, I think we do have a system that fits Brock very well. So for Brock to have continued success, I don’t think will be, this won’t be his big contract, but this will be a contract where he’ll be able to make very good money and be able to prove himself that could lead to that next big contract.” – Elway

TigeRRUppeRRcut
02-27-2016, 03:28 PM
If he's smart he does the Alex Smith deal here like Smith did in San Fran with Harbaugh: 3 years, 9-11 million/year average to prove your worth.

TEX
02-27-2016, 03:32 PM
He's an awful QB. I hope Denver re signs him

Yep.

ModSocks
02-27-2016, 03:42 PM
That's right Brock, get yours. Don't let Denver go cheap on you. GET PAID, SON. Bend the donks over backwards on that contract!

BossChief
02-27-2016, 06:44 PM
If he's smart he does the Alex Smith deal here like Smith did in San Fran with Harbaugh: 3 years, 9-11 million/year average to prove your worth.

Dont try to post what he would do "if he were smart". You don't have a damn clue.

If he's smart he will hit the open market and let teams like NY, Cleveland, Denver, Philly, SF, LA and other decide his value and make the decision based on the best fit with money and everything else factored in.

Kman34
02-27-2016, 07:10 PM
http://sports.cbsimg.net/images/visual/whatshot/640Osweiler112115.jpg

http://i.kinja-img.com/gawker-media/image/upload/s--MxQ__GrD--/k1vnqjmtwqyo3padflfy.jpg

Mr. Laz
02-27-2016, 08:00 PM
People said the same thing when Denver gave Manning a 19 million dollar per deal.

yet Peyton isn't hamstringing shit ... he's going to retire or get cut this year.

Suddenly Denver is going have a bunch of cap room

Mile High Mania
02-27-2016, 08:05 PM
People said the same thing when Denver gave Manning a 19 million dollar per deal.

yet Peyton isn't hamstringing shit ... he's going to retire or get cut this year.

Paige wrote today that Manning has made the decision and will retire this week. All that cap space goes to Von Miller.

staylor26
02-27-2016, 08:12 PM

Umm Brock Osweiler isn't Peyton Manning :rolleyes:

kccrow
02-27-2016, 08:13 PM
Honestly, Brock Osweiler doesn't even fit Kubiac's offense that well. They'd be better off letting him go and drafting a guy like Dak Prescott, who can be that play-action, roll-out QB that fits the system. Prescott is rough around the edges, but some good NFL coaching and this guy could be damn good - especially in a run first offense like Kubiac likes to run.

Mr. Laz
02-27-2016, 08:16 PM
Umm Brock Osweiler isn't Peyton Manning :rolleyes:
Which isn't the fucking point

The point is people predicting Denver's salary cap demise over and over again and it's yet to happen.

staylor26
02-27-2016, 08:23 PM
Which isn't the ****ing point

The point is people predicting Denver's salary cap demise over and over again and it's yet to happen.

I don't think that's just about the money/salary cap, it's about the big commitment to a QB that is bound to fail and the potential consequences of it (losing the window with that defense for example).

BossChief
02-27-2016, 08:43 PM
Which isn't the ****ing point

Manning retiring gives them 19m in cap space.

Cutting Ware would give them 10
Clady gives them 9
Vasquez gets them 5

That puts them at over 50m in cap space.

kccrow
02-27-2016, 09:09 PM
If Manning retires, which is pretty much a forgone conclusion, the Broncos will have 27.5 million in space. They also have 25 free agents. The good news is that 5 of those are EFRAs and another 3 are RFAs.

Notable free agents:

QB Brock Osweiler - Starting caliber QBs are at a premium in the NFL and Osweiler teeters right on the edge of that. He'll get a minimum of $12-13 million per from a QB needy team, whether that is the Broncos or not.

OLB Von Miller - Easily will get Justin Houston money at $16.8 million per. Houston's contract was team friendly in year 1 at only 5.1 million then balloons upwards with salaries between 19 and 20 million per the remainder of the deal. The Broncos could do the same thing here, knowing that DeMarcus Ware will come off the books for 2017 (counts at 11.7 million in 2016).

ILB Danny Travathan - He's been really solid, but letting him walk isn't out of the question if the price is too high. Someone will pay him at least $4 million per, if not more.

DE Malik Jackson - One of the better 3-4 DEs in the NFL and should command as much of a contract as his teammate Derek Wolfe received (~9.2 million per). I can't conceive the Broncos affording to bring him back unless they release someone.

RB Ronnie Hillman - The other half of the Broncos committee is a free agent as well, and at 24 years old with limited miles and a career average around 4.1 ypc, he'd have offers. I'm guessing he could approach at least a 1 year deal like Bilal Powell received to stay with the Jets last year of $2 million.

LT Ryan Harris - A journeyman tackle that once manned the right side for Kansas City, he is serviceable enough and filled in well enough for an injured Ryan Clady. The Broncos might want to re-sign him, but he could be a tough fit against their cap. He cost $1.4 million last year, and the price shouldn't go down.

LG Evan Mathis - While he was a nice fill-in for the Broncos at a modest price of $3.25 million, there is probably no way they can get a deal done for him to return which will put Max Garcia back out as the front-runner at LG...

RFAs
ILB Brandon Marshall - A very good pass defender and solid overall linebacker on the ascent, Marshall should get tendered at the 1st round level which should be around $3.5-3.6 million. The Broncos will need to keep the future in mind with Marshall, as he could end up a $7 million per player.

RB C.J. Anderson - A solid back in a committee system, but became more of a feature as the season wore on, the Broncos will likely tender him with the 2nd round tender, around $2.5-2.6 million.

Others...
RT Tyler Polumbus - At least worth noting, he's been Denver's backup tackle. The Broncos should be able to retain him for a modest price.

TE Vernon Davis - With 38 catches for 395 yards, Davis wasn't exactly worth the 2.6 million he received from the Broncos in 2015. I doubt Davis will be brought back unless he signs a very modest contract.

Assumptions
They'll bring back all their EFRAs at a cap hit of around 3 million.
They'll have to sign their draft class at around 3 million.

Verdict:

The Broncos will eat up a good chunk of Manning's savings if they re-sign both Von Miller and Brock Osweiler. Add in the fact that tendering their RFAs will likely cost another 6 million, and the Broncos are sitting pretty tight against the cap.

The best move the team could make would be to release DeMarcus Ware, saving 10 million against the cap with only 1.7 million in dead money. This would give them the room to re-sign some of their notable free agents back, including Malik Jackson and Danny Trevathan so long as they get crafty enough.

The Broncos can make it all happen, but they'll have to cut out a rather significant veteran to do it.