PDA

View Full Version : Chiefs Chiefs express interest in retaining defensive end Mike DeVito

RunKC
02-28-2016, 05:18 PM
BY TEREZ A. PAYLOR
tpaylor@kcstar.com

Since defensive end Mike DeVito arrived in Kansas City in 2013, he has been an important cog in the Chiefs’ run defense.

And while DeVito, 31, is set to hit free agency in March, a source confirmed to The Star on Saturday that the Chiefs have expressed interest in re-signing him.

DeVito, who is listed at 6 feet 3 and 305 pounds, recorded 19 tackles and a career-high three sacks in 2015. The Chiefs’ run defense also improved from 28th in 2014 — which he missed with a torn ACL — to eighth in 2015.

DeVito joined the Chiefs in 2013 as a run-stopping defensive end in their base 3-4 scheme. He signed a three-year deal worth $12.6 million.

Read more here: http://www.kansascity.com/sports/spt-columns-blogs/red-zone/article62867187.html#storylink=cpy
http://www.kansascity.com/sports/spt-columns-blogs/red-zone/article62867187.html

Hog's Gone Fishin
02-28-2016, 05:20 PM
We need to upgrade from him.

RunKC
02-28-2016, 05:24 PM
DeVito gushed about the Chiefs to Herbie, calling John Dorsey the best GM in the NFL.

"I love the organization over there, I love the coaching staff, I love the guys in that locker room, I believe in the mission, I believe in the philosophy, so that's an easy choice," DeVito told Herbie.

http://www.arrowheadpride.com/2016/2/28/11128988/mike-devito-could-return-to-chiefs-calls-john-dorsey-best-gm-in-the

Mr. Laz
02-28-2016, 05:30 PM
He's the type of guy you just draft to replace.

This year's draft is talented and deep along the Dline.

If Devito and Howard both walk we could be drafting a few Dlinemen.

O.city
02-28-2016, 05:31 PM
He's a cheap vet who can still play a little. Can't go completely young. Depends on price.

TimBone
02-28-2016, 05:43 PM
He's a cheap vet who can still play a little. Can't go completely young. Depends on price.
I agree with this. He loves KC, he didn't want to go anywhere else last year. Should be an easy deal to get done.

Saccopoo
02-28-2016, 05:56 PM
We need to upgrade from him.

Not yet.

DeVito had a very good season and would be a relatively inexpensive re-sign. It would be foolish not to have him back for the next couple of years. He's about as good as it gets in plugging his gap from the five tech position and can also play NT in a pinch.

Should be a no brainer to re-sign him.

DaneMcCloud
02-28-2016, 06:24 PM
I'd sign him to a 1 year Vet Minimum contract with incentives and escalators.

BigChiefFan
02-28-2016, 06:36 PM
Not yet.

DeVito had a very good season and would be a relatively inexpensive re-sign. It would be foolish not to have him back for the next couple of years. He's about as good as it gets in plugging his gap from the five tech position and can also play NT in a pinch.

Should be a no brainer to re-sign him.

I agree. I think Howard's asking price will be too much and we need some continuity along the D-Line to help mold the rookies that I anticipate we will be drafting.

scho63
02-28-2016, 06:55 PM
Seems like every Chief who is a free agent says they want to remain in KC expect Sean Smith, who has been silent so far.

Anyone catch any comments from him?

Hydrae
02-28-2016, 08:30 PM
Seems like every Chief who is a free agent says they want to remain in KC expect Sean Smith, who has been silent so far.

Anyone catch any comments from him?

Andy and John have created a great atmosphere and it shows in the comments from guys. This should help make KC a little more attractive to other free agents too.

Chief Northman
02-28-2016, 11:22 PM
I am encoraged by the public shows of support for coaching and management from the players. This is indicative of a winning culture being established, and this has long been overdue in KC. With a solid offseason this team can be in serious contention for a Superbowl with an immediate window.
I think Devito coming back will be linked to the ability of Howard being retained.

jspchief
02-28-2016, 11:37 PM
I think he can do better than that.

DaneMcCloud
02-29-2016, 12:34 AM
I think he can do better than that.

Possibly.

But he turns 32 in June and after 9 years in the league, he's made the bulk of the money he's going to earn, so uprooting his family for another million or so before taxes in a new city and system will likely weigh on his decision.

BossChief
02-29-2016, 07:07 AM
He's the type of guy you just draft to replace.

This year's draft is talented and deep along the Dline.

If Devito and Howard both walk we could be drafting a few Dlinemen.

Jesus.

Did you not learn anything from the years and years we tried to find even a decent DL burning through high pick after high pick to get 1?

Siavii
Dorsey
Jackson
Magee

If we can re-sign Devito for a couple million per, sign me up.

Halfcan
02-29-2016, 09:37 AM

Did you mean Escalades?

The problem with escalators-is there are a lot of ups and downs. :)

Mr. Laz
02-29-2016, 11:19 AM
Jesus.

Did you not learn anything from the years and years we tried to find even a decent DL burning through high pick after high pick to get 1?

Siavii
Dorsey
Jackson
Magee

If we can re-sign Devito for a couple million per, sign me up.

If the current administration bases their decisions and moves on past administrations then they are going to be really screwed up.

A good franchise keeps Howard and drafts a replacement for Devito and we turn out to actually be better along the DLine this year than last.

RunKC
02-29-2016, 11:26 AM
If the current administration bases their decisions and moves on past administrations then they are going to be really screwed up.

A good franchise keeps Howard and drafts a replacement for Devito and we turn out to actually be better along the DLine this year than last.

DeVito wants to be here and it sounds like $$ isn't an issue. The guy is an elite run stuffer who also got 3 sacks last year as a rotational DE.

He's good and he's cheap. Bring him back.

Mr. Laz
02-29-2016, 11:53 AM
DeVito wants to be here and it sounds like $$ isn't an issue. The guy is an elite run stuffer who also got 3 sacks last year as a rotational DE.

He's good and he's cheap. Bring him back.
hey, it's always about the money

If Devito is cheap ... all good.

Wasn't he like 5 million per last time?

That's not cheap enough to keep. imo.

staylor26
02-29-2016, 11:55 AM
hey, it's always about the money

If Devito is cheap ... all good.

Wasn't he like 5 million per last time?

That's not cheap enough to keep. imo.

Lol DeVito isn't going to get 5 million per this time man.

The Franchise
02-29-2016, 11:56 AM
DeVito's cap number in 2015 was $2.8 million.

Bowser
02-29-2016, 01:15 PM

This. Hell, even kick up that min offer $750K. Add in the right incentives and he'd be a lock to re-sign.

DeVito may not be an every down player anymore, but he is a fantastic situational and backup guy, not to mention his experience he can share with the kids. Bring him back.

Meatloaf
02-29-2016, 01:23 PM
This. Hell, even kick up that min offer $750K. Add in the right incentives and he'd be a lock to re-sign.

DeVito may not be an every down player anymore, but he is a fantastic situational and backup guy, not to mention his experience he can share with the kids. Bring him back.

Double this. Hey, the guy is a good football player who you can likely lock up on the cheap. Do it.

RunKC
02-29-2016, 02:11 PM
It would be awesome if we can lock down DeVito and Howard both to team friendly contracts and add a mid round developmental guy from this amazing DL class.

oldman
02-29-2016, 02:53 PM

Yep, I'd buy into this.