PDA

View Full Version : Life Happy Leap Day!

listopencil
02-29-2016, 11:09 AM
Children born today won't have their first birthday for four more years. CP members born today, I pity you, happy birthday. Everyone else; what will you do with your free extra day?

Rain Man
02-29-2016, 11:09 AM
As an employer, I enjoy getting the extra day of work from my employees.

eDave
02-29-2016, 11:10 AM
I went to work, free of charge.

listopencil
02-29-2016, 11:10 AM
Oh, and the obligatory: CP will be closed down February 30th and 31st so plan accordingly.

listopencil
02-29-2016, 11:13 AM
What was that movie where there was some sort of time period in which the laws were ignored and society descended into chaos temporarily? We should start doing that every leap day to try it out, see how it goes.

Nzoner
02-29-2016, 11:13 AM
Bad year for this as a fireworks retailer because July 4th now falls on a Monday and I hate missing it being on a Sunday.:#

listopencil
02-29-2016, 11:14 AM
Bad year for this as a fireworks retailer because July 4th now falls on a Monday and I hate missing it being on a Sunday.:#

We always just did up the 4th when it was convenient for us. Moved it around so the whole family could participate.

luv
02-29-2016, 11:15 AM
Just another day. They should make it another holiday. A little something to break up the stretch between New Year's Day and Memorial Day every once in a while.

I have a co-worker who is currently in KC with her son and daughter-in-law. They are expecting, and their due date was last Thursday. The OB had her come in last night, and they started inducing her this morning. I think I'd have asked if we could wait a day. My due date is March 29, and my BF is hooping he's two days late. As bad as I would think being an April Fool's Baby would be, I don't think I'd want to be born on Lead Day.

The Franchise
02-29-2016, 11:19 AM
What was that movie where there was some sort of time period in which the laws were ignored and society descended into chaos temporarily? We should start doing that every leap day to try it out, see how it goes.

The Purge?

srvy
02-29-2016, 11:21 AM
http://i.giphy.com/3o7rc1uQhWh15OBUcw.gif

listopencil
02-29-2016, 11:24 AM
The Purge?

Yeah, that's it. I haven't seen it but I've heard about it. Anyone up for a Leap Day purge?

Nzoner
02-29-2016, 11:26 AM
We always just did up the 4th when it was convenient for us. Moved it around so the whole family could participate.

As a retailer though Sunday is the 2nd best day(next to Monday) to have the 4th fall on for sales.

listopencil
02-29-2016, 11:26 AM
Just another day. They should make it another holiday. A little something to break up the stretch between New Year's Day and Memorial Day every once in a while.

I have a co-worker who is currently in KC with her son and daughter-in-law. They are expecting, and their due date was last Thursday. The OB had her come in last night, and they started inducing her this morning. I think I'd have asked if we could wait a day. My due date is March 29, and my BF is hooping he's two days late. As bad as I would think being an April Fool's Baby would be, I don't think I'd want to be born on Lead Day.

My last two kids were two weeks late. I don't know if things have changed but we were told both times that we had to wait exactly two weeks after the due date to induce. This was about 20 years ago. Do they still follow that two week rule?

listopencil
02-29-2016, 11:28 AM
As a retailer though Sunday is the 2nd best day(next to Monday) to have the 4th fall on for sales.

We used to like it when the 4th fell on a day before a day off. We never really did it as an eating holiday though. Just a night time fireworks thing.

luv
02-29-2016, 11:44 AM
My last two kids were two weeks late. I don't know if things have changed but we were told both times that we had to wait exactly two weeks after the due date to induce. This was about 20 years ago. Do they still follow that two week rule?

Depends on the situation. I have gestational diabetes. One of the risk factors for that is that the baby will be a bit heavier. My OB is not going to let me go beyond 41 weeks for that reason.

I know that they don't want you going too far beyond that due to increased risk factors for both mom and baby. There have been several tests I've had to go through that are now common that my mom knew nothing about. She said pregnant women these days seem to have to jump through hoops...lol.

listopencil
02-29-2016, 11:52 AM
Depends on the situation. I have gestational diabetes. One of the risk factors for that is that the baby will be a bit heavier. My OB is not going to let me go beyond 41 weeks for that reason.

I know that they don't want you going too far beyond that due to increased risk factors for both mom and baby. There have been several tests I've had to go through that are now common that my mom knew nothing about. She said pregnant women these days seem to have to jump through hoops...lol.

They kept asking my wife if she was diabetic the last time around. She had had several kids already so the doctors thought she would be fine, but she was also about 35 so they were concerned. Of course he ended up being huge and it was a very rough labor. He came out 10 pounds/4 ounces and 23 inches long. I just wonder if they give you more input on the inducement date now, or if they still stick to the two week rule, or if they play it by ear according to your situation.

Donger
02-29-2016, 11:56 AM

2016 GOP election time?

listopencil
02-29-2016, 11:57 AM
2016 GOP election time?

They only have five now. Would have been fun when they had a busload of prospects.

Hydrae
02-29-2016, 12:03 PM
We celebrated a co-workers 6th birthday today. He is now 24 years old.

He said he tried to celebrate his 21st on 2-28 since that is when his family always celebrated but he had to wait until after midnight to have a drink at the bar.

Bowser
02-29-2016, 12:07 PM
I still have to go to work later, so really there is nothing "happy" about it.

ptlyon
02-29-2016, 12:46 PM
Have a friend that was born on this day. He turns 15.

So he turns 60 on the 60th day of 2016.

listopencil
02-29-2016, 12:47 PM
Have a friend that was born on this day. He turns 15.

Fifteen years old or fifteenth birthday?

ptlyon
02-29-2016, 12:48 PM
Fifteen years old or fifteenth birthday?

15th birthday

BlackHelicopters
02-29-2016, 01:02 PM
Going to the Leap Day parade. See everyone there.

luv
02-29-2016, 01:09 PM
They kept asking my wife if she was diabetic the last time around. She had had several kids already so the doctors thought she would be fine, but she was also about 35 so they were concerned. Of course he ended up being huge and it was a very rough labor. He came out 10 pounds/4 ounces and 23 inches long. I just wonder if they give you more input on the inducement date now, or if they still stick to the two week rule, or if they play it by ear according to your situation.

They do a glucose screening now at around 28 weeks. No refined sugars within an hour of your appointment. They have you drink this really sweet stuff, fast an hour, and then draw your blood to see where your blood sugar is at. If you're in the normal range (70-140), then you're fine. If you fail (I ended up with 185), then you have to go for a glucose tolerance test. Totally fast for 10 hours prior, do a control draw, then you drink the same stuff, only more concentrated or sweeter, and then draw blood once an hour for three hours. My control draw and my last draw were good, but my first two hours after drinking the stuff were still too high. If you fail two of the draws, then it's determined you have gestational diabetes. I was only one point over on the second one I failed, too. I had to go to a class on it, get a glucometer, etc. I've been able to keep my blood sugar in check just by watching and counting my sugars and carbs, thank goodness.

listopencil
02-29-2016, 01:23 PM
They do a glucose screening now at around 28 weeks. No refined sugars within an hour of your appointment. They have you drink this really sweet stuff, fast an hour, and then draw your blood to see where your blood sugar is at. If you're in the normal range (70-140), then you're fine. If you fail (I ended up with 185), then you have to go for a glucose tolerance test. Totally fast for 10 hours prior, do a control draw, then you drink the same stuff, only more concentrated or sweeter, and then draw blood once an hour for three hours. My control draw and my last draw were good, but my first two hours after drinking the stuff were still too high. If you fail two of the draws, then it's determined you have gestational diabetes. I was only one point over on the second one I failed, too. I had to go to a class on it, get a glucometer, etc. I've been able to keep my blood sugar in check just by watching and counting my sugars and carbs, thank goodness.

Good, sounds like they are on it and you're handling it just fine. I don't know what the dangers are. They did do tests on her and she must have passed them, because they didn't put her through anything like that.

Rain Man
02-29-2016, 02:37 PM
Going to the Leap Day parade. See everyone there.

Don't bother. I went last year and it was terrible.

ptlyon
02-29-2016, 02:39 PM
Don't bother. I went last year and it was terrible.

Maybe in Denver but you should see the one in Key West. Yowza.

Kman34
02-29-2016, 02:54 PM
I can't....I have bad knees...

chiefqueen
02-29-2016, 05:57 PM
If today is your birthday, HAPPY BIRTHDAY!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! If today is your birthday and your age is not wholly divisible by 4 (no remainder for those who flunked Math) I suggest you talk with your Mama!!!

chiefqueen
02-29-2016, 06:02 PM

Also this year leap causes the pres election in Nov. be to held on 11/8 and not on 11/2 and Christmas falls on Sunday and not Saturday.

TimBone
02-29-2016, 06:12 PM
http://i.giphy.com/3o7rc1uQhWh15OBUcw.gif
Disturbing, but I can't stop watching.

Rain Man
02-29-2016, 06:17 PM
Also this year leap causes the pres election in Nov. be to held on 11/8 and not on 11/2 and Christmas falls on Sunday and not Saturday.

And the earth is suddenly stopped in its orbit around the sun to make up for the 18 hours it gained over the last three years.

srvy
02-29-2016, 06:18 PM
Disturbing, but I can't stop watching.
Yeah I can't figure what it is either so I guess art.

But like you couldn't stop watching.