PDA

View Full Version : Chiefs Chiefs plan to tag Berry

Quesadilla Joe
03-01-2016, 12:42 PM
And he's tagged.

<blockquote class="twitter-tweet" data-lang="en"><p lang="en" dir="ltr">Chiefs officially have placed franchise tag on safety Eric Berry, per source.</p>&mdash; Adam Schefter (@AdamSchefter) <a href="https://twitter.com/AdamSchefter/status/704760226612846592">March 1, 2016</a></blockquote>
<script async src="//platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

loochy
03-01-2016, 12:43 PM
kEwL

loochy
03-01-2016, 12:44 PM
Wait, breaking Chiefs news from Knowmo? WTF?

RealSNR
03-01-2016, 12:44 PM
Cancerous money-grubbing worthless fuckface /TigerBob

ptlyon
03-01-2016, 12:45 PM
Wait, breaking Chiefs news from Knowmo? WTF?

He creams his jeans anytime he gets to start a new thread

BossChief
03-01-2016, 12:47 PM
I bet it's the non exclusive one...

Perineum Ripper
03-01-2016, 12:49 PM
Cancerous money-grubbing worthless fuckface /TigerBob

You forgot that he has peaked and will only get worse every year from now on

Mr. Laz
03-01-2016, 12:50 PM
I remember people saying that Berry wouldn't expect a contract as big as the one he given when he was drafted.

So much for Berry being grateful and giving a hometown discount.

It's a business.

Perineum Ripper
03-01-2016, 12:54 PM
I remember people saying that Berry wouldn't expect a contract as big as the one he given when he was drafted.

It's a business.

I don't see why players should give a discount..if at the end of their career they want to so they don't have to move that's cool but in their prime it's silly to expect

I hear a lot of people say but he got his full contract last year..so what that was a business decision on the Chiefs..if they expect him to take less money then the Front Office is stupid

Mr. Laz
03-01-2016, 12:56 PM
I don't see why players should give a discount..if at the end of their career they want to so they don't have to move that's cool but in their prime it's silly to expect

I hear a lot of people say but he got his full contract last year..so what that was a business decision on the Chiefs..if they expect him to take less money then the Front Office is stupid

I didn't say they had to, other people around here thought he would.

I said from the start that playing rarely take less money from their current team. They go to a new team for a paycut.

It seems to be an ego thing.

Perineum Ripper
03-01-2016, 01:00 PM
I didn't say they had to, other people around here thought he would.

I said from the start that playing rarely take less money from their current team. They go to a new team for a paycut.

It seems to be an ego thing.

I wasn't trying to imply you were saying that

Bowser
03-01-2016, 01:02 PM
Not surprising. I was really hoping to be able to get him signed long term without the use of the tag to free up for use on Smith or Howard, though. I'm afraid tagging Berry means those two are gone now. Hopefully I'm wrong.

jonzie04
03-01-2016, 01:12 PM
Just read we tagged him. Hopefully Dorsey can get a deal done before FA hits. Really could use the cap space this year.

Red Dawg
03-01-2016, 01:13 PM
This sucks. Can we not get a contract done for one of our guys? Damn. Smith I can live with but DJ and Howard both leaving is bad.

The Raiders are about unload on a spending an epic spending spree between our guys and Denver's guys. Mario will be there as well.

staylor26
03-01-2016, 01:14 PM
This sucks. Can we not get a contract done for one of our guys? Damn. Smith I can live with but DJ and Howard both leaving is bad.

Lol DJ isn't going anywhere

Quesadilla Joe
03-01-2016, 01:21 PM

The Raiders are about unload on a spending an epic spending spree between our guys and Denver's guys. Mario will be there as well.
Very few UFA's will re-sign with their current team before the FA tampering window opens.

SAUTO
03-01-2016, 01:51 PM

It's a business.

how much did he ask for?

loochy
03-01-2016, 02:03 PM
how much did he ask for?

8-9 million?

The Franchise
03-01-2016, 02:08 PM
how much did he ask for?

Be prepared for Laz to tell you to kill yourself.

ptlyon
03-01-2016, 02:08 PM
8-9 million?

Tree fiddly

Sure-Oz
03-01-2016, 02:09 PM
@AdamSchefter: Chiefs officially have placed franchise tag on safety Eric Berry, per source.

O.city
03-01-2016, 02:11 PM
Tag so then can work on a deal.

SAUTO
03-01-2016, 02:45 PM
Be prepared for Laz to tell you to kill yourself.

Why? Because he's talking shit with nothing to back it up?

DaneMcCloud
03-01-2016, 03:03 PM
Tag so then can work on a deal.

His cap number is now $10.8 million this season, so I'd imagine his deal will likely average between $9-10 with some serious guaranteed money.

DaneMcCloud
03-01-2016, 03:04 PM
With Berry tagged, the Chiefs have about $17 million in cap space as of today.

I would imagine that the Post June 1st designations will be announced before the draft.

The Franchise
03-01-2016, 03:06 PM

I would imagine that the Post June 1st designations will be announced before the draft.

See you later, Grubbs.

Mr. Laz
03-01-2016, 03:06 PM
how much did he ask for?

Since we used that tag we have to imagine that it's not 6 million per.

Don't you think?

DaneMcCloud
03-01-2016, 03:07 PM
See you later, Grubbs.

And Fanaika.

That'll free up about $5.6 million, which will likely be used on DJ.

Hopefully, the the $17 million will suffice for Hali, Howard and/or Smith.

TigeRRUppeRRcut
03-01-2016, 03:13 PM
10% chance, but I hope it's non-exclusive and some team is dumb enough to snag him from us for 2 future firsts

The Franchise
03-01-2016, 03:17 PM

Don't you think?

And who realistically thought that we'd get him for $6 million?

mcaj22
03-01-2016, 03:21 PM
Trumaine Johnson got the franchise tag.

People wanted to sign him as a "cheaper alternative to Sean Smith." He's about to get way more lol

Mr. Laz
03-01-2016, 03:26 PM
And who realistically thought that we'd get him for $6 million?
Nobody, but the point was that if Berry wasn't asking for big money we wouldn't have needed to use the tag. What the specific dollar figure = big, we don't know.

I'm "assuming" that if Berry was asking for anything below 10 million he would already have a new contract.

Maybe i'm wrong, maybe the team had no intent of using the tag for anyone so they just used it to let them put off the negotiations for Berry until later because Dorsey's plate is really full right now.

:shrug:

I doubt it, but maybe.

BigChiefFan
03-01-2016, 03:30 PM
Trumaine Johnson got the franchise tag.

People wanted to sign him as a "cheaper alternative to Sean Smith." He's about to get way more lol

I never thought he'd be less expensive, but I was hoping he wouldn't have been tagged because he would have solidified our CBs for years to come, had we had the opportunity of signing him.

mcaj22
03-01-2016, 03:33 PM
I never thought he'd be less expensive, but I was hoping he wouldn't have been tagged because he would have solidified our CBs for years to come, had we had the opportunity of signing him.

I thought they would have to pick between Jenkins and Johnson and that Jenkins would be the more expensive one.

They didnt even bother to tag him lol

Hydrae
03-01-2016, 04:21 PM

What did I miss? I thought we had ~$33 mil. $10.8 mil for EB should leave about $22 mil shouldn't it?

SAUTO
03-01-2016, 04:32 PM

Don't you think?

Who ever thought he was signing for 6 million per?

That's pretty silly don't you think?

BigChiefFan
03-01-2016, 04:34 PM
What did I miss? I thought we had ~$33 mil. $10.8 mil for EB should leave about $22 mil shouldn't it?

That's how I see it, as well. Plus if we dump Grubbs and Fanaika we should have plenty of money to bring in some quality FAs and/or retain our own.

DaneMcCloud
03-01-2016, 04:39 PM

As of today, the Chiefs have a total cap number of $140 million. The cap is $155 but the Chiefs are rolling over $2 million, making their cap $157 million.

mdstu
03-01-2016, 05:31 PM
The thought of "home team discounts" is pretty stupid and Berry owes it to himself to make every dime he possibly can.

On the flip side, I don't understand why the Chiefs paid him his salary for the entire year while he was out. Was it only for the good press?

BossChief
03-01-2016, 06:33 PM
Did they give him the exclusive tag?

Exclusive is 10.8, non exclusive is a little less.

And I feel Berry owes it to the organization to negotiate a fair deal, not some blockbuster 20% more than any other player at his position type deal. They paid him in good faith last year...time to repay the favor.

Mr. Laz
03-01-2016, 06:34 PM

Non-exclusive

Discuss Thrower
03-01-2016, 07:46 PM

And I feel Berry owes it to the organization to negotiate a fair deal, not some blockbuster 20% more than any other player at his position type deal. They paid him in good faith last year...time to repay the favor.

And if we were talking about basketball or baseball I'd 100% agree with you.

But given the CTE problem, Berry's agent and Berry himself are obligated to get the maximum amount of guaranteed money possible.

Pasta Little Brioni
03-01-2016, 07:49 PM
Easily worth more than that sloth TJ Ward

DaneMcCloud
03-01-2016, 07:51 PM
Berry owes the Chiefs nothing.

That said, I'm really good with him playing out the tag this season.

I hate to say it but cancer can return at any time.

BigChiefFan
03-01-2016, 10:16 PM
I'll feel a lot better if and when Dorsey gets some of our players re-signed. Our team is close to taking the next step, I can't imagine how far we'll fall if we lose so many starters. I can't think of another team in the league that had this many starters set to hit FA.

jspchief
03-01-2016, 11:42 PM
Who ever thought he was signing for 6 million per?

That's pretty silly don't you think?
No one. But if you're going to build a good strawman, you're going to have to fabricate some facts.

Chief Roundup
03-02-2016, 02:28 AM
Why should any player give a discount to any team, keep in mind the discount would actually be to the owner not the team, which is actually players and coaches?
Wasn't it just discovered that the owners were "hiding" money from the players. Please tell me again why a player should ever take a discount again.

Marcellus
03-02-2016, 07:07 AM
Why should any player give a discount to any team, keep in mind the discount would actually be to the owner not the team, which is actually players and coaches?
Wasn't it just discovered that the owners were "hiding" money from the players. Please tell me again why a player should ever take a discount again.

The point of the discount is to use the $ to sign other players and keep the team competitive.

They have to spend a minimum of the cap now so its not like the old days where they could just not spend $.

The Chiefs have been spending $ for many years now, its not about saving Clark $ its about having enough to keep as many FA players as possible to keep the team together.

Chief Roundup
03-02-2016, 07:17 AM
The point of the discount is to use the $ to sign other players and keep the team competitive.

They have to spend a minimum of the cap now so its not like the old days where they could just not spend $.

The Chiefs have been spending $ for many years now, its not about saving Clark $ its about having enough to keep as many FA players as possible to keep the team together.

Players generally only do this for a better chance at a SB, not just to be competitive or because they have there and don't way to be away. The Patriots are just one team that has gotten players on the cheaper side because of their perennial chances at a SB.

MotherfuckerJones
03-02-2016, 08:29 AM
I expect this to get done like the Houston deal did. It'll take awhile.

Marcellus
03-02-2016, 09:39 AM
Players generally only do this for a better chance at a SB, not just to be competitive or because they have there and don't way to be away. The Patriots are just one team that has gotten players on the cheaper side because of their perennial chances at a SB.

Correct but that doesn't mean taking less = putting $ in the owners pockets.

milkman
03-02-2016, 01:31 PM
10% chance, but I hope it's non-exclusive and some team is dumb enough to snag him from us for 2 future firsts

When is the last time that any team signed an non-exclusive rights free agent and gave up 2 first round picks?

As far as I can remember, it only happened once.

BigChiefFan
03-03-2016, 08:25 PM
I was hoping to hear we had re-signed at least one starter by now.

TigeRRUppeRRcut
03-03-2016, 08:48 PM
When is the last time that any team signed an non-exclusive rights free agent and gave up 2 first round picks?

Pretty much never. It saves us a little money tho

jjchieffan
03-03-2016, 10:50 PM

No, but teams do work out trades for those players. Like Jared Allen. We franchised him, then let him go when the Vikings gave up a first and a 3rd. Something like that could happen. I'm not saying that it should, or that I'm even wanting it to. Just saying that it's a possibility

TigeRRUppeRRcut
03-04-2016, 01:21 AM
No, but teams do work out trades for those players. Like Jared Allen. We franchised him, then let him go when the Vikings gave up a first and a 3rd. Something like that could happen. I'm not saying that it should, or that I'm even wanting it to. Just saying that it's a possibility

I'll take a second and a third for Berry, no questions asked.