PDA

View Full Version : Life Got tasered and pepper sprayed this weekend

Bufkin
03-08-2016, 02:34 AM
Had to do both for training. The pepper spray used was Sabre Red, which is bar none the hottest and most excruciating stuff available. As bad as the pepper spray was, I preferred that over the taser. I'm the only one out of 22 who said that. The spray is absolute hell on earth, but at least you can control yourself and attempt to fight the pain. The taser incapacitates you physically and mentally for what feels like an eternity.

Any LEO's or military guys here who have had to deal with both? What was your reaction?

To anybody interested in joining an academy and plan on getting sprayed/tased, my advice to you is to not. Go be a lawyer or a baker or an astronaut.

TimBone
03-08-2016, 02:48 AM
I saw your FB post about the tasering yesterday, and your pic today after the pepper spray.

When I saw the pic of the pepper spray, me and a couple of my army buddies discussed whether that would be a worse experience than the gas chamber. The buddy who has done both said the chamber is worse, but I doubt it. I've been through the gas chamber, and I've only been near someone who was pepper sprayed. There is no way I want that shit on my face. I bet panicking and trying to rub it off would only make it a million times worse.

Congrats on passing both phases, bud.

I laughed at your 'worst 5 seconds of your life' comment about the tasing.

Toby Waller
03-08-2016, 02:51 AM
no

mdchiefsfan
03-08-2016, 04:46 AM
I saw your FB post about the tasering yesterday, and your pic today after the pepper spray.

When I saw the pic of the pepper spray, me and a couple of my army buddies discussed whether that would be a worse experience than the gas chamber. The buddy who has done both said the chamber is worse, but I doubt it. I've been through the gas chamber, and I've only been near someone who was pepper sprayed. There is no way I want that shit on my face. I bet panicking and trying to rub it off would only make it a million times worse.

The gas chamber sucked, but doesn't compare to pepper spray. Pepper spray is concentrated and localized, especially when the "Z" is applied, which is most likely what Bufkin had to endure: Horizontally across the eyes, diagonally across the nose, and horizontally across the mouth.

I have been through both, though the pepper spray wasn't a result of training: I was detaining a shoplifter who happened to have police grade pepper spray on him. That shit hurt, but I managed to keep a hold of him and get cuffs on him, until the police arrived.

Fortunately, I've never been tazered. I think I'll avoid that one the best I can.

Cheater5
03-08-2016, 05:15 AM
Been tasered, pepper sprayed, and dealt with CS gas on several occasions. CS gets in your clothes and the crystals embed in your skin, and continues to give back when you perspire but over time I think you can develop a tolerance to it. Pepper spray is more intense and concentrated but was not as persistent. Getting tasered felt like a giant double fist punched me in the chest and then dropped a safe on top for good measure, but it's over relatively quickly.

I guess I hated CS the most because that shit got into everything.

ETA: regarding pepper spray; I was most likely not hit with the same strong stuff the OP was. Ten of us were lined up shoulder-to-shoulder and the instructor walked down the line and zapped us in the face. It straight sucked, but I don't recall it lasting too long as we were back in the classroom after douching our heads and faces.

Fire Me Boy!
03-08-2016, 05:16 AM
Been tasered, pepper sprayed, and dealt with CS gas on several occasions. CS gets in your clothes and the crystals embed in your skin, and continues to give back when you perspire but over time I think you can develop a tolerance to it. Pepper spray is more intense and concentrated but was not as persistent. Getting tasered felt like a giant double punched me in the chest and then dropped a safe on top for good measure, but it's over relatively quickly.

No mean no, dude.

jaa1025
03-08-2016, 05:31 AM
I've been OC'd a ton back in the military as a chem guy. It sucked but for me it wasn't close to as bad as pepper spray or tazer. OC I could still function. Pepper spray was applied from 6 feet and messed me up pretty bad. The tazer was the worst 5 seconds of my life, that seemed like an eternity of electricity pulsating, but it was over after those 5 seconds. Pepper spray would reactivate when you'd shower for a few days.

I know things affect each of us differently but for me, I'd take OC, then tazer, then pepper spray if I had to chose one...although my tolerance isn't built up anymore to OC so maybe tazer then OC then pepper spray.

mdchiefsfan
03-08-2016, 05:39 AM
Been tasered, pepper sprayed, and dealt with CS gas on several occasions. CS gets in your clothes and the crystals embed in your skin, and continues to give back when you perspire but over time I think you can develop a tolerance to it. Pepper spray is more intense and concentrated but was not as persistent. Getting tasered felt like a giant double punched me in the chest and then dropped a safe on top for good measure, but it's over relatively quickly.

This is true. I couldn't wear the BDUs I wore into the chamber until I washed the several times. Took forever to get out.

Hog's Gone Fishin
03-08-2016, 05:57 AM
Happens to me all the time / Prison Bitch

mdchiefsfan
03-08-2016, 06:23 AM

This is true. I couldn't wear the BDUs I wore into the chamber until I washed the several times. Took forever to get out.

Kman34
03-08-2016, 07:18 AM
Are you at the Police Academy???

raybec 4
03-08-2016, 07:40 AM
Had all 3 done, gas chamber is worse for the long term, but the initial shock of the pepper spray eats a dick.

mdchiefsfan
03-08-2016, 08:06 AM
Had all 3 done, gas chamber is worse for the long term, but the initial shock of the pepper spray eats a dick.

During Basic they timed our trip to the gas chamber perfectly. You have 60 guys sharing a bay, everyone tends to get sick. That shit cleared our sinuses out quick as hell. No one got sick after that.

Honestly, I didn't feel the pepper spray until I had the cuffs on the guy. All hell broke loose after that. I mostly received residual spray from him, but he put two of my coworkers on their asses.

Bwana
03-08-2016, 08:11 AM
I got a mild blast of Bear spray in my eyes and nose at one point and didn't enjoy it one bit.

mdchiefsfan
03-08-2016, 08:13 AM
I got a mild blast of Bear spray in my eyes and nose at one point and didn't enjoy it one bit.

:eek:THAT shit is no joke! Once activated it doesn't turn off, right? Knowing your personal activities, I am really curious what happened to cause this incident.

Bwana
03-08-2016, 09:00 AM
:eek:THAT shit is no joke! Once activated it doesn't turn off, right? Knowing your personal activities, I am really curious what happened to cause this incident.

You can shoot in in short blasts. I had an old can I was dumping outside so I gave it a test blast, there was a last second change in wind direction and I got nailed with what I would call a small amount. It didn't feel small at the time. I was bumping into stuff heading into the house and stuck my head under the sink, blinking my eyes for at least 20 minutes and hacking like I just got done with a pack of cigars. I can't even imagine what a full direct blast of that stuff would do to a guy, that bear spray is brutal.

I also had a can of bear spray blow up on me at one point. It was on the front of my atv and I was down fishing in the mountains. When I cam back there was a blown up can and orange all over everything. If that would have done that when I was on the move, I would have been in deep crap. I composed a long winded letter to the company when I got home.

Saccopoo
03-08-2016, 09:07 AM
Hey, when you get out, are you going to go arrest your buddy who finger rapes his kids?

TribalElder
03-08-2016, 09:20 AM
The fuck are you doing that for? Looking to get a chance to chase terries

scho63
03-08-2016, 09:27 AM
http://ih0.redbubble.net/image.130418964.2987/ra,unisex_tshirt,x3104,101010:01c5ca27c6,front-c,650,630,900,975-bg,f8f8f8.u1.jpg

Cheater5
03-08-2016, 10:10 AM
Somewhat off subject, but funny story.

A few years ago we were packing up for a move from Washington state to North Carolina (military PCS) and had four guys from the moving company loading up our stuff on the day of the move. Three of the four were non-English speakers save for a few words, but mostly pointy-talky communication with my wife who was in charge while I was clearing post.

Let me back up here for a minute-- due to the fact that I was gone for 25/36 months we were up at Fort Lewis, we took precautionary measures around the home. She had a .38 by her bedside, but she also had small canisters of pepper spray in the master bathroom shower as well as the downstairs guest bathroom tucked beside the toilet. You never know...

Back to the move. About three hours in, one of the younger guys gestures to my wife by pointing to the bathroom- she says "Si, go ahead." He proceeds to drop a deuce, and instead of using the Wick air freshener sitting on the back of the toilet when he's finished, he finds the pepper spray tucked next to the bowl. Without fear he cuts loose with a long stream of mace in a 32' sq/ft room as well as across his body (a la Axe body spray).

When I came home we had every window in the house open, every fan blowing and I was immediately hit with the smell..."WTF happened here?" My wife could barely contain her laughter and brought me upstairs, and told me how the kid burst out of the bathroom like he was being chased by hornets, ran outside and ripped off his shirt freaking out. She turned on the hose for him so he could flush his face and upper body. He was still sitting on the curb with a Gatorade for about an hour with a poopy face, while the other three dudes laughed at him every time they carried something outside.

Bottom line: don't confuse pepper spray with air freshener when you move your bowels in an unfamiliar environment.

Saccopoo
03-08-2016, 10:15 AM
Somewhat off subject, but funny story.

A few years ago we were packing up for a move from Washington state to North Carolina (military PCS) and had four guys from the moving company loading up our stuff on the day of the move. Three of the four were non-English speakers save for a few words, but mostly pointy-talky communication with my wife who was in charge while I was clearing post.

Let me back up here for a minute-- due to the fact that I was gone for 25/36 months we were up at Fort Lewis, we took precautionary measures around the home. She had a .38 by her bedside, but she also had small canisters of pepper spray in the master bathroom shower as well as the downstairs guest bathroom tucked beside the toilet. You never know...

Back to the move. About three hours in, one of the younger guys gestures to my wife by pointing to the bathroom- she says "Si, go ahead." He proceeds to drop a deuce, and instead of using the Wick air freshener sitting on the back of the toilet when he's finished, he finds the pepper spray tucked next to the bowl. Without fear he cuts loose with a long stream of mace in a 32' sq/ft room as well as across his body (a la Axe body spray).

When I came home we had every window in the house open, every fan blowing and I was immediately hit with the smell..."WTF happened here?" My wife could barely contain her laughter and brought me upstairs, and told me how the kid burst out of the bathroom like he was being chased by hornets, ran outside and ripped off his shirt freaking out. She turned on the hose for him so he could flush his face and upper body. He was still sitting on the curb with a Gatorade for about an hour with a poopy face, while the other three dudes laughed at him every time they carried something outside.

Bottom line: don't confuse pepper spray with air freshener when you move your bowels in an unfamiliar environment.

Paranoid much?

loochy
03-08-2016, 10:17 AM
Paranoid much?

Ha, seriously. Where the hell does he live?

Cheater5
03-08-2016, 10:41 AM
Ha, seriously. Where the hell does he live?

We moved 11 times from 1999-2014; half of the time with just a few weeks' notice where we were going. During that time I was deployed for close to five years (let alone being gone for training) and my wife was completely alone. During one move, we dropped our bags and four days later I was gone for two and a half months in a town where we knew no one. We lived on post only twice in all that time.

Yup. If my wife felt safer with pepper spray and a handgun, then so do I.

mdchiefsfan
03-08-2016, 11:10 AM
You can shoot in in short blasts. I had an old can I was dumping outside so I gave it a test blast, there was a last second change in wind direction and I got nailed with what I would call a small amount. It didn't feel small at the time. I was bumping into stuff heading into the house and stuck my head under the sink, blinking my eyes for at least 20 minutes and hacking like I just got done with a pack of cigars. I can't even imagine what a full direct blast of that stuff would do to a guy, that bear spray is brutal.

I also had a can of bear spray blow up on me at one point. It was on the front of my atv and I was down fishing in the mountains. When I cam back there was a blown up can and orange all over everything. If that would have done that when I was on the move, I would have been in deep crap. I composed a long winded letter to the company when I got home.

Well, that's a plus. At least you weren't using it for what it is made for.

Dunit35
03-08-2016, 11:21 AM
I'd rather get tased again all day. Pepper spray sucked and still sucked in the morning when I washed my hair.

Paniero
03-08-2016, 12:00 PM
With the taser, I couldn't fight and I felt it was the longest 5 seconds of my life, but when it was over I was ready to kill someone. After the OC spray, which was a few months later, I was miserable for a long time but had to do fight/shoot drills right after getting sprayed.

Now, I get the OC on me once in a while when I use it on people I'm trying to arrest. Still sucks, and most people on my department won't use it for that reason. When the taser fails, it's what I go to next before I go hands on with a combative person that's bigger/younger/faster, etc or when there is more than 1 person I'm about to have to fight. Just spray that shit in the general direction and go in quick to start take down proceedures.

If I arrest someone that fights us, and we tow his/her car, I'll spray some on the car seat/wheel/air vents on the rare occasion the person is deserving. Reminder down the road not to fight.

Dunit35
03-08-2016, 12:39 PM
Nobody carries pepper spray. The moment you spray that on someone you're arresting and it gets on one of us, you're getting punched.

Molitoth
03-08-2016, 01:05 PM
Dang, I thought this was going to be you....

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/v0VxO2IpD1E" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

88TG88
03-08-2016, 01:14 PM
Ive been pepper sprayed twice, it sucked but wasnt unbearable.

Bwana
03-08-2016, 01:24 PM
Well, that's a plus. At least you weren't using it for what it is made for.

Yeah after that can of spray imploded out of the blue, I'm a little leery about it. When I'm up in the mountains I pack the .500 Smith & Wesson at this point. At least I now that thing isn't going to magically explode on me. :hmmm:

Otter
03-08-2016, 01:45 PM
I've been tasered twice and had a pepper sprayed 3 times once and I'm not even in law enforcement or a criminal.</br></br> 1. In college my neighbors, engineering majors were always building something and had tools laying around. One of them was a stud finder that for some reason only I could get to go off when I put it up against my chest. One day one of the smart asses puts the stud finder in the drawer and replaces it with a tazer then proceeds to talk me into doing the stud finder thing. Stud finders and stun guns look very much alike, at least some models do.</br></br>Buried it in my chest and pulled the trigger which resulted in a back flip (not a pretty land on your feet back flip) and wow! what the fuck was that? I don't recall it hurting as in pain however just been sent head over heals from my body convulsing. </br></br> 2. Jealous ex-boyfriend hit me over the head with a Coors Light bottle. Got him in a back mount and a police officer who had no idea I was defending myself as opposed to being an aggressor came up and zapped me in the kidney for what seemed like about 5 seconds. Same as above; body tense, lose control of motor skills but this time I peed myself a little from having a couple beers in me and getting it in the kidney. No charges, just took our names.</br></br> 3. Pepper spray; some drunk girl in a parking lot sprayed some into the wind and came back and misted my in the face. A lot of sneezing but not much else.

mdchiefsfan
03-08-2016, 06:06 PM
Yeah after that can of spray imploded out of the blue, I'm a little leery about it. When I'm up in the mountains I pack the .500 Smith & Wesson at this point. At least I now that thing isn't going to magically explode on me. :hmmm:

Yea, if the .500 doesn't do it, then you're fucked with any other option that is legal and practical to carry up and down a mountain LMAO

Squalor2
03-08-2016, 09:56 PM
We moved 11 times from 1999-2014; half of the time with just a few weeks' notice where we were going. During that time I was deployed for close to five years (let alone being gone for training) and my wife was completely alone. During one move, we dropped our bags and four days later I was gone for two and a half months in a town where we knew no one. We lived on post only twice in all that time.

Yup. If my wife felt safer with pepper spray and a handgun, then so do I.

id think that yall are in the same boat, transfers, deployments, and such. sounds like your family is gearing up for warfare at home. thats not right.

Squalor2
03-08-2016, 10:03 PM
With the taser, I couldn't fight and I felt it was the longest 5 seconds of my life, but when it was over I was ready to kill someone. After the OC spray, which was a few months later, I was miserable for a long time but had to do fight/shoot drills right after getting sprayed.

Now, I get the OC on me once in a while when I use it on people I'm trying to arrest. Still sucks, and most people on my department won't use it for that reason. When the taser fails, it's what I go to next before I go hands on with a combative person that's bigger/younger/faster, etc or when there is more than 1 person I'm about to have to fight. Just spray that shit in the general direction and go in quick to start take down proceedures.

If I arrest someone that fights us, and we tow his/her car, I'll spray some on the car seat/wheel/air vents on the rare occasion the person is deserving. Reminder down the road not to fight.

im pretty lousy at this, you reek. when austin made the texans board, you stunk it up too.

cdcox
03-08-2016, 11:15 PM
I order my Thai food, "Thai hot".

Squalor2
03-08-2016, 11:23 PM

thats a phobia of many.

cdcox
03-08-2016, 11:37 PM
There is a Thai place near campus that I love. You can order the food with spice levels from 1 to 5 stars, or Thai hot, which is 9 stars. 9 stars tingle my lips, cause my nose to run with maybe an occasional tear. Good stuff.

Then they start getting crazy.

11 to 20 stars $2 up charge
21 to 30 stars $3 up charge
*** and so on ***
81 to 100 stars $10 up charge

They have a challenge dish that is 200 stars. I can't imagine.

Squalor2
03-09-2016, 12:08 AM
There is a Thai place near campus that I love. You can order the food with spice levels from 1 to 5 stars, or Thai hot, which is 9 stars. 9 stars tingle my lips, cause my nose to run with maybe an occasional tear. Good stuff.

Then they start getting crazy.

11 to 20 stars $2 up charge
21 to 30 stars $3 up charge
*** and so on ***
81 to 100 stars $10 up charge

They have a challenge dish that is 200 stars. I can't imagine.

welp, you soon will murder.

Bwana
03-09-2016, 10:16 AM

I have done that once. I was in Spokane at a convention and drifted into a Thai establishment. I ordered my food Thai hot. I knew I was in trouble when the cook came out of the kitchen to look at the dumbass that did that. I ate it all but my system wasn't right for two days. When I was sitting on the growler the next morning the burn was so bad I could have bent the towel rack into the shape of a horseshoe. I respect anyone who can eat Thai hot on a regular basis. :hmmm:

Pennywise
03-09-2016, 10:43 AM

When I went thru the gas chamber in Basic we had to pull our masks off if I remember and recite our ssn and then do some jumping jacks.

A soldier next to me freaked (and I mean completely FREAKED) out and panicked. He got about 3 numbers out and bolted toward the door and flattened a drill sergeant which of course is a big :shake: and one of the funniest things I've ever seen.

After smoking his ass outside they made him go thru like 5 times and it was brutal.

mdchiefsfan
03-09-2016, 12:27 PM
When I went thru the gas chamber in Basic we had to pull our masks off if I remember and recite our ssn and then do some jumping jacks.

A soldier next to me freaked (and I mean completely FREAKED) out and panicked. He got about 3 numbers out and bolted toward the door and flattened a drill sergeant which of course is a big :shake: and one of the funniest things I've ever seen.

After smoking his ass outside they made him go thru like 5 times and it was brutal.

LMAO Same here. The guy got flat clothes-lined. You know those Drill Sergeants wake up extra spritly on Gas Chamber Day.

Jerm
03-09-2016, 12:50 PM
Pepper spray sucked and sucked bad (re-ignited on me in the shower on the night of the class when we got sprayed) but the taser was far, far worse...worst 5 seconds I've ever experienced. Holy shit it sucked.

B2chiefsfan
03-09-2016, 01:39 PM
Damn... I did both going through the Academy... I take the taser over pepper spay everytime... I've even taken the pepperball & CS gas in an advance class and that trumps both taser and pepper spray... I've also been hit by a pepperball grenade during a riot a couple of years back... I had all gear on but one caught me in the chin under the mask...

B2chiefsfan
03-09-2016, 01:51 PM
Being a CSI Detective these days can really suck when SWAT gases the shit out of a house... I've had change one or two filter on a scene...