PDA

View Full Version : Home and Auto Master Bedroom Addition

Hoover
03-11-2016, 01:34 PM
OK, so I know enlarging a master bedroom might not be the best home improvement project in terms of return, but this is really all about creating a retreat for me and the Mrs. We don't plan to move any time soon.

So, we have a pretty standard set up. Master bathroom with two sinks and a giant shower. Walk in closet. Bedroom fits my king sized terpurpedic and 50 inch TV but its clear we need more space for all her $hit...

So does anyone have any do's and don'ts?

My thought is to enlarge the bathroom into the current bedroom, and then tack on an addition that would enlarge the bedroom itself and house a big walk in closet.

We live a ranch, so I'd have to put in some sort of foundation. Should I just add a basement under the thing. We would use it as a safe room/office. Thougths?

Thanks

kepp
03-11-2016, 01:42 PM
My suggestion is its a lot cheaper to get rid of her crap.

frozenchief
03-11-2016, 01:45 PM
Just figure that it will take about 3-4 times as long to finish and it will cost about 3-4 times more than you budget.

Rain Man
03-11-2016, 02:26 PM
Give me your floor plan. I really enjoy amateur architecturin'.

Fire Me Boy!
03-11-2016, 02:47 PM
My suggestion is its a lot cheaper to get rid of her crap.

Divorce is pretty expensive, though.

LoneWolf
03-11-2016, 02:48 PM
Sounds like your adding on to create a closet. That's a bad investment. You're better off selling your house and moving to a house that has everything you want.

Hoover
03-11-2016, 02:55 PM
Give me your floor plan. I really enjoy amateur architecturin'.

Here is our current set up.

Hoover
03-11-2016, 02:56 PM

yep...

notorious
03-11-2016, 02:58 PM
If you go with wood floor PM me. I will try to steer you in the right direction.

Hoover
03-11-2016, 03:01 PM
If you go with wood floor PM me. I will try to steer you in the right direction.
Thanks. Pretty sure we will.

Buehler445
03-11-2016, 03:10 PM

A friend of mine that just went through a divorce says to me, "Buehler, do you know why divorce is so damn expensive? Because they're worth it."

Not suggesting anything about Hoover, but I got a pretty big chuckle out of it.

NOTE: I love my wife.

BlackHelicopters
03-11-2016, 03:11 PM
Make adequate space for the stripper pole and stage.

seclark
03-11-2016, 03:16 PM
your house isn't that old, is it hoover?
sec

Hoover
03-11-2016, 03:19 PM
your house isn't that old, is it hoover?
sec

No, we built it in 2010.

seclark
03-11-2016, 03:23 PM
No, we built it in 2010.

yeah, i didn't think it was that old. imo, i wouldn't fuck w/the bathroom. it's bad enough you have to share that. make it smaller and she's gonna take the whole damn thing over.

when we built, we did one bathroom for her and one for me. our fuckin closet's bigger than both bathrooms put together, and at least 3/4 of it's her shit.

i'd figure out some way to add on somewhere else.
sec

Buehler445
03-11-2016, 03:25 PM
I'd put a basement in if you are thinking you are going to add enough sq ft. Stairs might be tough/expensive to work in, but if you're wanting to do it now is the time. Especially if you don't have one.

Storage, motherfucker. Build it in. It's expensive and it sucks to design and install, but again, nows the time. The more the better. The house we moved into has a shitton. It rules. Especially in the bathroom. Ours has basically a closet in it. Way more room than we need for towels but it really frees up room in the storage room.

Mind the look of the outside of your house. If you're adding 10', consider adding 10' to the whole house. Unless you can work it into the design of the exterior, it would drive me bat shit crazy to see a jutted out part of the house.

Pay attention to the light. In bedrooms it's especially bad if windows are in the wrong place and shine light where it doesn't need to be (your bed while you're trying to sleep).

Over budget. Common sense.

Since its new construction add the utilities that you need. More outlets, coaxial, cat 5, conduit for speaker wire, whatever. If there is ever a possibility you might use it put it in.

Good luck.

KChiefs1
03-11-2016, 04:15 PM
Mine wants to add a 2nd floor to our house! Yikes!

SAUTO
03-11-2016, 05:09 PM
Mine wants to add a 2nd floor to our house! Yikes!

I did three years ago. Two bedrooms downstairs and a 26 x 32 master bedroom and bathroom up stairs.

Tore off half my roof to do it.

Fun times

KChiefs1
03-11-2016, 07:14 PM
I did three years ago. Two bedrooms downstairs and a 26 x 32 master bedroom and bathroom up stairs.

Fun times

How much did that set you back? Was it worth it?

Buehler445
03-11-2016, 07:17 PM

Fun times

You didn't have to tear off the whole thing? I'd think you'd have to take all the roof off and replace rafters with floor joists.

I'm no carpenter, though.

SAUTO
03-11-2016, 07:42 PM
You didn't have to tear off the whole thing? I'd think you'd have to take all the roof off and replace rafters with floor joists.

I'm no carpenter, though.

We had load walls below in perfect spots lol, built an 8 foot wall where the ridge met before. Kept the pitch the same and the roofs lined up perfectly. But yeah we married joists to where the old rafters were and put in 2x8s instead of 2x4s and the old outer wall below splits the room basically in half plus the existing interior walls that were load bear ing are over there took.

Dinny has seen it in person, it came out good.

Edit: the lines of the roofs were parallel not the same plane...

SAUTO
03-11-2016, 07:47 PM
How much did that set you back? Was it worth it?

Well we redid every water line in the house inpex, took out a lower bedroom that was 8x12 and made a huge walk in shower for our disabled daughter. Two lower bedrooms and another full bath upstairs, plus the master. Then we had to add another full hvac system. Oh and we had a new foundation for the two new lower bedrooms and half the upstairs.and of course new siding and a new metal roof

50 grand almost to the penny. And we absolutely love it.

Edit: but we live in a small town and the contractor has been my best friend since we were kids. So I'm sure I came out ok lol

NewChief
03-11-2016, 07:47 PM
If you have kids, I would put in a lounge/bar/coffee area where you and the wife can hang out on your own. As the kids become teenagers, you can cede the house to them and their friends and still have a place that is yours.

Buehler445
03-11-2016, 07:51 PM
If you have kids, I would put in a lounge/bar/coffee area where you and the wife can hang out on your own. As the kids become teenagers, you can cede the house to them and their friends and still have a place that is yours.

Awwwww shit. This guy right here knows. This guy right fucking here.

SAUTO
03-11-2016, 07:51 PM

One side of my room is that way. Usually when a couple friends come over we hang out over there lol. Got a couple recliners and a big tv

SAUTO
03-11-2016, 07:52 PM
And then we took out the garage and I have a pool table, poker table, foosball, neon lights etc...

SAUTO
03-11-2016, 07:57 PM
I'd put a basement in if you are thinking you are going to add enough sq ft. Stairs might be tough/expensive to work in, but if you're wanting to do it now is the time. Especially if you don't have one.

Storage, motherfucker. Build it in. It's expensive and it sucks to design and install, but again, nows the time. The more the better. The house we moved into has a shitton. It rules. Especially in the bathroom. Ours has basically a closet in it. Way more room than we need for towels but it really frees up room in the storage room.

Mind the look of the outside of your house. If you're adding 10', consider adding 10' to the whole house. Unless you can work it into the design of the exterior, it would drive me bat shit crazy to see a jutted out part of the house.

Pay attention to the light. In bedrooms it's especially bad if windows are in the wrong place and shine light where it doesn't need to be (your bed while you're trying to sleep).

Over budget. Common sense.

Since its new construction add the utilities that you need. More outlets, coaxial, cat 5, conduit for speaker wire, whatever. If there is ever a possibility you might use it put it in.

Good luck.
Good advice, mine started as a new bathroom and a bedroom. 15k budget.

Ended up over four times the work and almost that in budget.

We put outlets every 6 feet. Plenty of Windows and a door out of my room with am 8x11 foot deck. Hdmi through the walls, surround sound wiring ran everywhere.

SAUTO
03-11-2016, 07:59 PM
Oh AND there is a dormer on the from of my house that we boxed in and put a floor and a door and now have a 14 foot deep 6.5 foot wide walk in closet.

kccrow
03-11-2016, 09:36 PM
Depends where you want to stick your money man. An unfinished basement is usually costs about 40-60% more than a slab. Depends on your contractor really. I've seen rates of a bout $9-11 a sq ft for a slab and $14-20 a sq ft for a basement. Best bet would be to ask around for rates.

If you're already on a slab on grade, I don't think adding a couple hundred sq ft basement is the wisest use of your money. I'd think adding more sq footage to your addition would be better. I can't see everything from your picture, but I'd leave your current bathroom in tact unless you absolutely feel you need it larger. You start paying for plumbing, re-running even more electrical, and re-tiling, and your costs skyrocket. Kitchens and bathrooms always cost more than other spaces to renovate.

I'd put like a 10x20 addition off the bedroom and bathroom along the left side of your drawing, if you have the space there. I'd create an 8x10 closet directly left of the current bathroom to create your new walk-in closet for HER. I'd eliminate part of the current closet and reduced it from 5'10" x 11'1" down to 5'10" x 5'5" for YOU. The remaining space I'd use as a new desk nook to create that "office" space your looking to gain. This would extend your bedroom from 13'7" x 15'5" to 13'7" x 25'5"

Drafted a rough preview pic for ya...

Just my 2 cents. Play around with ideas, but I wouldn't do the basement idea unless you really want a fall-out shelter. :D

Demonpenz
03-11-2016, 09:53 PM
must be nice to have money.

LoneWolf
03-11-2016, 11:12 PM
must be nice to have money.

It has its drawbacks. My ass hurts after long car rides from sitting on my fat wallet.

SAUTO
03-11-2016, 11:15 PM
It has its drawbacks. My ass hurts after long car rides from sitting on my fat wallet.

I put my wad in the front pocket

Rain Man
03-11-2016, 11:19 PM
Here is our current set up.

Can you zoom out just a little? I need to understand the space.

LoneWolf
03-11-2016, 11:20 PM
I put my wad in the front pocket

I'm a wallet in back right pocket, cellphone in front right pocket, and key fob in front left pocket kind of guy.

Hoover
03-12-2016, 09:36 PM
Can you zoom out just a little? I need to understand the space.

Case de Hoover

HonestChieffan
03-12-2016, 09:43 PM
Following with a lot of interest....looks like we will enter the world of new home construction in the next 18 months.

Don't we have some home contractors on CP?

Hoover
03-12-2016, 09:53 PM
Here is my concept. I'm a visual dude.

My thoughts:

1. I don't want to build out to the south (left) because I have a bedroom with a egress window below me and somewhere out there are all the well for my Geo-Thermal. While there is space there, it is the narrowest part of my yard.

2. I have plenty of space to do back. When I bite the bullet on this I'm probably going to do a covered patio space off the bacl of the garage to a simlar depth and then put in a patio between it all. Will actually add some privacy and definition to the bacl of the place without really infringing on the back yard.

3. I need a giant fu@king closet for my wife. She's got a ton of shit. It makes it hard to deal with the room. My thought is put it west with his and hers doors. I'll probably put in some windows in the closet to get some natural light. I know it seems odd to put the closet where the best view out of the room would be, but we both like it dark when we sleep. For natural light we would have a window to the north over looking the patio, and to the south.

4. As for the baster bath, I'm adding a tub, but not really moving much in terms of nen runs. Basically enlarging vanity areas that already have water run to them.

5. My big question is the ceiling. We currently have a standard tray, and I like the height by don't really care for the sloped/angled part of the ceiling. I would rather have it like my livingroom that just has like a soffit then goes up with some crown molding to dress it up. Anyway, when I break through the exterior will it be a bitch to make it once seemless room?

Hoover
03-12-2016, 09:56 PM
Following with a lot of interest....looks like we will enter the world of new home construction in the next 18 months.

Don't we have some home contractors on CP?
Learned a lot building our home. Great experience. Would love to do it again.

I had the benefit of living near the construction site. I checked things out every night. Called my builder where ever something didn't look right. Near the end I popped in morning too, just to make sure they didn't screw something up. I caught a lot stuff. All simple fixes if you catch them right away.

displacedinMN
03-12-2016, 10:20 PM
We are moving into our newly built house in two weeks. It was a planned house with out a lot of customization options. No moving walls, stairs.

Did get to pick carpet, counters-the basics. We held ourselves to only visiting construction on Fri/Sat.

We did not add the bedroom in the basement-so dads room is 32x16. room for a pool table, bar etc.

If anyone has a line on a good chiefs light, PM me.

Hoover-go big. Big bath, shower, closets. Room to stretch. Good luck. Every woman has a ton of shit. So many clothes, that she could not wash anything for two months and still have clothes left over. I have a wife and two daughters. 3x as many clothes. MY GOD!

Rain Man
03-13-2016, 12:37 AM
Case de Hoover

I'll propose something radical. Would you consider adding a new master suite behind the garage? It would be cool to have a wing to yourself and you could enter next to the kitchen, which would be handy. It would cost more, but you'd then have a four-bedroom house with three baths, which would add a lot more flexibility.

kccrow
03-13-2016, 12:52 AM
Is the 2nd bathroom off limits for this project?

kccrow
03-13-2016, 02:17 AM
Here is my concept. I'm a visual dude.

My thoughts:

1. I don't want to build out to the south (left) because I have a bedroom with a egress window below me and somewhere out there are all the well for my Geo-Thermal. While there is space there, it is the narrowest part of my yard.

2. I have plenty of space to do back. When I bite the bullet on this I'm probably going to do a covered patio space off the bacl of the garage to a simlar depth and then put in a patio between it all. Will actually add some privacy and definition to the bacl of the place without really infringing on the back yard.

3. I need a giant fu@king closet for my wife. She's got a ton of shit. It makes it hard to deal with the room. My thought is put it west with his and hers doors. I'll probably put in some windows in the closet to get some natural light. I know it seems odd to put the closet where the best view out of the room would be, but we both like it dark when we sleep. For natural light we would have a window to the north over looking the patio, and to the south.

4. As for the baster bath, I'm adding a tub, but not really moving much in terms of nen runs. Basically enlarging vanity areas that already have water run to them.

5. My big question is the ceiling. We currently have a standard tray, and I like the height by don't really care for the sloped/angled part of the ceiling. I would rather have it like my livingroom that just has like a soffit then goes up with some crown molding to dress it up. Anyway, when I break through the exterior will it be a bitch to make it once seemless room?

Thought I'd give you another visual similar to what you put up.

1. Put in a corner tub that you and the mrs could have a little romance in, extending current bathroom about 7' and leaving the rest of it mostly in tact.

2. Cut current closet down to a smaller one, about 4 x 5 for you.

3. In the addition, put a closet running vertically instead of horizontally.

4. Put french doors out to the back yard where you and the wife could access the patio you intend to build straight from your room.

5. You mentioned an office space originally, so I put a corner desk in the area chopped off from the current closet. My thoughts on this are that if you and the mrs share the monster closet, you could create a larger office space where the current closet is and even seal it off from the main room if you'd want.

HonestChieffan
03-13-2016, 06:42 AM
Learned a lot building our home. Great experience. Would love to do it again.

I had the benefit of living near the construction site. I checked things out every night. Called my builder where ever something didn't look right. Near the end I popped in morning too, just to make sure they didn't screw something up. I caught a lot stuff. All simple fixes if you catch them right away.

We built ours in 83. Time for a change. Have found the plan, now starting to look at builders/contractors who build in Cass County and looking at ground to build on.

Buehler445
03-13-2016, 11:36 AM
We built ours in 83. Time for a change. Have found the plan, now starting to look at builders/contractors who build in Cass County and looking at ground to build on.

That's damn exciting. Good luck man. Hope all goes well and on budget.

Hoover
03-13-2016, 12:18 PM
Is the 2nd bathroom off limits for this project?

Yeah, want to keep it for the kids

Hoover
03-13-2016, 12:22 PM
I'll propose something radical. Would you consider adding a new master suite behind the garage? It would be cool to have a wing to yourself and you could enter next to the kitchen, which would be handy. It would cost more, but you'd then have a four-bedroom house with three baths, which would add a lot more flexibility.

Never really thought about that. I always just planned a covered patio/outdoor kitchen thing.

I don't know if I really need an additional bedroom. Currently we have the three up stairs and two conforming bedrooms with walk in closets in the basement. Basically copied the master and the other bedroom in the basement. where the master bath is split into two closets.

Holladay
03-14-2016, 12:47 PM
If you have a walk-in closet and you still need room for her sh*t? Make sure you are using ALL avail space efficiently.

In ours, one wall is dble stacked hanging rods with one smallish place for full length dresses. In between hanging partitions, is a stack of shelves. One the wall with the door, on either side is a tall set of dresser drawers. In the main room, some more dressers etc.

Keep the area up to date and items not used much (winter coats during the summer) are stored in other closets or the the wardrobe down in the basement. You would be surprised how much crap can #1 sh*t canned (donated) #2 moved to a different location.

How many pairs of shoes does she have? Buy a shoe schrunk (dresser) and store them in the hallway and use slippers around the house??

Organizing and eliminating is a HECK of a lot cheaper than an addition.

Rain Man
03-14-2016, 01:14 PM
What do you use all of the extra bedrooms for? If they're just guest rooms that sit empty and run up your utility bill, perhaps you could convert one of them into a giant walk-in closet and then build on if/when you have kids.

Hoover
03-14-2016, 01:21 PM
What do you use all of the extra bedrooms for? If they're just guest rooms that sit empty and run up your utility bill, perhaps you could convert one of them into a giant walk-in closet and then build on if/when you have kids.

First Floor:
We use the master.
My kid has his own room.
Third room used to be my office, but have since converted it to a play room with a futon. I was sick of having toys all over the main room of the house.

Basement:
Nice guest bedroom for my parents, as they come to visit a lot.
the 5th bedroom is small and is mostlyt used for storage.

Look, my wife has a problem with hanging on to shit and constantly buying things. It drives me Fu@cking nuts. All I want is bedroom and bathroom I can actually walk around it.

KChiefs1
03-14-2016, 01:26 PM
Well we redid every water line in the house inpex, took out a lower bedroom that was 8x12 and made a huge walk in shower for our disabled daughter. Two lower bedrooms and another full bath upstairs, plus the master. Then we had to add another full hvac system. Oh and we had a new foundation for the two new lower bedrooms and half the upstairs.and of course new siding and a new metal roof

50 grand almost to the penny. And we absolutely love it.

Edit: but we live in a small town and the contractor has been my best friend since we were kids. So I'm sure I came out ok lol

I told her at least 50K & probably more.

SAUTO
03-14-2016, 01:41 PM
I told her at least 50K & probably more.

probably more

Perineum Ripper
03-14-2016, 01:43 PM
Burn that fucker to the ground and rebuild

Perineum Ripper
03-14-2016, 01:46 PM
Or you can buy a little wooden shed, put it in the backyard add doors in the bedroom..then boom walk out super closet for her shit..but go the extra mile and give her a concrete path and maybe a overhang in case it rains

You can hire her to do the work I'm sure

https://s-media-cache-ak0.pinimg.com/736x/f5/ff/da/f5ffdaaf5604bc71d1114b8b91716038.jpg

Rain Man
03-14-2016, 01:54 PM
I always thought it would be cool to have a big RV and then design the house where the RV hooks up and serves as a bedroom or man cave or something when it's not in use. That has nothing to do with this thread, but I felt compelled to share it.

Hoover
03-14-2016, 02:10 PM
That would kick ass.

I've actually thought about buying some ground and building my own private camp ground on a river or lake. I'd love to have a kick ass motor home, but the wife would never go for it.

Rain Man
03-14-2016, 02:15 PM
That would kick ass.

I've actually thought about buying some ground and building my own private camp ground on a river or lake. I'd love to have a kick ass motor home, but the wife would never go for it.

My wife is also skeptical, even without attaching it to the house. Go figure.

seclark
03-14-2016, 02:17 PM
a motor home would be all right if i had someone to drive it. i'm not getting behind the wheel on one of those things.
sec

Holladay
03-14-2016, 02:24 PM
BTW, this is how we financed our addition. Keep in mind this was 16 yrs ago.

Old house: remodeled "T" shaped farm house built 1903. 3 bdrm, 1 bath, ~1.8 sq ft. Bought for 45k in '92. Remodel apprasied at 60k. House payment of $365/month.

Proposed addition: needed another bath and master bdrm. If we went out, might as well go up, if out and up, might as well down.

I, like Rainman, dabbles in arch drawing. I designed the addition, had a local architect approve its' viability (roof line sucked), and sent it to the appraiser. He stated that with the finished product, he would appraise it for 160k. The bank looked and approved it and out popped ~100k to build.

Thus my lack of big front pockets (for the pseudo roll of cash) to fund didn't matter. What DID happen was the house payment shot up to ~$1000/month. I had the cashflow, I didn't have a wad of bills.

Additionally, as mentioned earlier, what ever you estimate it to cost, on the safe side double it! Ours got out of hand. In the end to our benefit, but sucked at the time. We ended up having to re-side the entire house (there went +20k). In the end it was a good thing. The old house didn't have insulation in the walls. So before re-siding we blew in insulation. We used 2x6 instead of 2x4 for the walls, thus able to use better insulation on the new part. They put on 1 inch white foam board on the outside. Then wrapped the whole house in saran wrap and that puppy is air tight. Our utilities were the same as the old house even with the additional hvac. It got to big so we had to add another hvac (5k). The man-cave basement 20k et al.

My fathers and I did almost all the interior work, which saved a ton. I enjoy doing it when it is at my own pace. When it had to be done on a time line, that sucked.

The final result came out wonderful. I has the nuance of old home with comforts of new.

Have fun!!

An aside: we lived in the house during construction. My wife is a "neat freak". We got divorced 6 times in that year of construction:)

JoeyChuckles
03-14-2016, 07:32 PM
Calling a bedroom "master" is antiquated and racist.

#servantbedroomsmatter

Rain Man
03-14-2016, 07:40 PM
Calling a bedroom "master" is antiquated and racist.

#servantbedroomsmatter

Maybe he has slaves. Slavery still exists in many parts of the world. I'm not sure about Iowa, I guess.

SAUTO
03-14-2016, 08:15 PM
Tonight was the perfect night for my upstairs. All the windows open, attic fan on high.

I think someone may be crying downstairs, might be next door too .

Holladay
03-14-2016, 10:48 PM
Attic fans are AWESOME. Make sure you put them next to the kids rooms:) About 4 months out of the year (spring and fall), no heat or A/C.

I do like the white noise they create. I grew up with one outside my door. The wife hates it....too much noise. Keep in mind the house I grew up in was JUST off I-29 2 miles south of Barry Rd. So there was a bunch of white noise (sirens, jake breaks, no mufflers etc) the fan helped negate those. I went out to my Great Aunties place in Urich, Mo., in the country and couldn't sleep. The darn crickets were having a party every night.

kepp
03-15-2016, 08:18 AM
Can I hijack this for just a bit for my own question? I'm thinking of buying a property in Boone county, MO. It's an older home, built in 1975, with a lagoon that isn't up to current codes. I'm being told that, because of the age of the property, it would be grandfathered in with no updates needed.

Does anyone have any knowledge or experience with Boone county in regards to this?