PDA

View Full Version : Life Anyone take blood pressure meds?

MTG#10
03-11-2016, 03:14 PM
Two months before my 37th birthday and Ive been diagnosed with hypertension. Doc put me on 25 mg hydrochlorothiazide. Anyone else take this stuff?

I cant believe I cant drink anymore. Ive never been a heavy drinker but I do love a beer or three a couple times a week. This is some BS.

:cuss:

LoneWolf
03-11-2016, 03:15 PM
Why can't you drink anymore?

srvy
03-11-2016, 03:16 PM
That's just a water pill

srvy
03-11-2016, 03:17 PM
Get your potassium and avoid cramps

DaneMcCloud
03-11-2016, 03:18 PM
That's a diuretic, not exactly a blood pressure med. You'll probably see few side effects, other than having to urinate several more times than normal.

Losing weight will likely remedy the problem.

MTG#10
03-11-2016, 03:20 PM
Why can't you drink anymore?

I just read that it isnt good to drink on it, guess it can cause interactions? I dont know.

srvy
03-11-2016, 03:20 PM
Also monitor your blood pressure and cut back on salt. Head it off before he tried to get you on the real meds. Lose some pounds and exercise if need be. And if you only need a water pill to control it your lucky.

LoneWolf
03-11-2016, 03:22 PM
I just read that it isnt good to drink on it, guess it can cause interactions? I dont know.

Start exercising. I was put on BP meds 5 years ago. I lost 40 lbs. and Bam!, no more blood pressure problem.

Beef Supreme
03-11-2016, 03:23 PM
I don't take blood pressure meds, but would like to borrow some for Chiefs games.

MTG#10
03-11-2016, 03:27 PM
Start exercising. I was put on BP melds 5 years ago. I lost 40 lbs. and Bam!, no more blood pressure problem.

I actually started running a couple weeks ago. Only a couple miles/day but better than nothing Im sure.

Im not a fatass or anything, 5'11"/190 lbs with a 33" waist but I am the heaviest Ive ever been. Ive been skinny my whole life, its very strange having to worry about my weight all of a sudden...

LoneWolf
03-11-2016, 03:31 PM
I actually started running a couple weeks ago. Only a couple miles/day but better than nothing Im sure.

Im not a fatass or anything, 5'11"/190 lbs with a 33" waist but I am the heaviest Ive ever been. Ive been skinny my whole life, its very strange having to worry about my weight all of a sudden...

Welcome to getting older. I'm still pissed at my metabolism for not saying goodbye when it left. We had such a good run together and then when I turned 35 it just packed up its shit and left. No goodbye, no note, not anything. :(

DaneMcCloud
03-11-2016, 03:36 PM
Welcome to getting older. I'm still pissed at my metabolism for not saying goodbye when it left. We had such a good run together and then when I turned 35 it just packed up its shit and left. No goodbye, no note, not anything. :(

Mine bailed when I was 45, so I was pretty lucky.

I've gotten used to egg whites, turkey bacon, daily fruit smoothies, salads and soups but it was definitely a change from burgers, fries, tacos and pizza, especially since I didn't gain any weight.

My doctor recently told me that you can pretty much do whatever you'd like to your body until about age 45 but at that point, it's all about how you treat it in order to life a long, healthy life.

BlackHelicopters
03-11-2016, 03:41 PM
HCTZ is a diuretic. It rids the body of water. Stay hydrated and drink up. No harm.

Stewie
03-11-2016, 03:43 PM
What's your BP? It's good to hear your doc is taking the HCT path for starters.

Buy a BP monitor. Even the really good ones are cheap. Follow the directions on when to take readings and keep a record. Oftentimes, getting a one-off BP reading isn't a good indication of your BP over time.

chinaski
03-11-2016, 03:45 PM
10mg Lisinopril Daily for BP. I still drink occasionally, but not like I used to. Doc says it's fine for me?

My liver numbers are elevated and I also have Hyperparathyroidism, which is basically where one of my Parathyroid glands has turned into a tumor, and saturate my blood with excess calcium.

With these issues, I watch the drinking and eating, but I do splurge. Everything in moderation...even moderation. :D

I am 40 FYI.

MTG#10
03-11-2016, 03:49 PM
What's your BP? It's good to hear your doc is taking the HCT path for starters.

Buy a BP monitor. Even the really good ones are cheap. Follow the directions on when to take readings and keep a record. Oftentimes, getting a one-off BP reading isn't a good indication of your BP over time.

I bought one the other day. Its been as high as 165/110 but its normally around 140/90.

O.city
03-11-2016, 03:54 PM
I bought one the other day. Its been as high as 165/110 but its normally around 140/90.

That's borderline but it's on the high ish side.

Hydrate yourself alot, exercise and watch what you eat. Opt for fruits, nuts, etc.

LoneWolf
03-11-2016, 03:55 PM

I've gotten used to egg whites, turkey bacon, daily fruit smoothies, salads and soups but it was definitely a change from burgers, fries, tacos and pizza, especially since I didn't gain any weight.

My doctor recently told me that you can pretty much do whatever you'd like to your body until about age 45 but at that point, it's all about how you treat it in order to life a long, healthy life.

I've become a big fan of fruit smoothies, turkey, and fish over the last several years. I often have to go in to work at odd hours and it was really hard to get a consistent workout routine. I solved that by having an exercise room built inside the building I work in. Now I exercise at least 45 minutes every day.

DaneMcCloud
03-11-2016, 04:10 PM

Make sure that the cuff isn't too tight, as it will give a false high reading.

I have bigger biceps than most, so my doctor has to use a larger cuff and the over the counter digitals, like those sold at CVS, are too small for me.

But holy crap, that's high, Dude, especially for your age. All the doctors I know want everyone at 120/80 at worst. Good luck!

CoMoChief
03-11-2016, 04:11 PM
Two months before my 37th birthday and Ive been diagnosed with hypertension. Doc put me on 25 mg hydrochlorothiazide. Anyone else take this stuff?

I cant believe I cant drink anymore. Ive never been a heavy drinker but I do love a beer or three a couple times a week. This is some BS.

:cuss:

that's just a water pill.

drink more water, eat more green leafy things.

DaneMcCloud
03-11-2016, 04:13 PM
I've become a big fan of fruit smoothies, turkey, and fish over the last several years. I often have to go in to work at odd hours and it was really hard to get a consistent workout routine. I solved that by having an exercise room built inside the building I work in. Now I exercise at least 45 minutes every day.

I'm totally into the frozen cod sold at Costco. I rub lemon pepper and cook it in the toaster over for about 15 minutes and bam! 30 grams of protein.

Unsalted mixed nuts are awesome as a snack.

btlook1
03-11-2016, 04:20 PM
I just got put on meds for blood pressure in the last few months also. Same as you I only take half the hydrac....whatever everyday and a lisonpril each day. Noticed a big difference when we got the dosage right. Doc told me yesterday if I would lose 30 lbs and eat right I could probably get off them.....starting to work on that....right after this weekend! 72/122 yesterday...feeling great. thought I was starting to have panic attacks but it was my blood pressure getting to high...weird feeling.

Red Dawg
03-11-2016, 04:33 PM
In take it and Lotrel for hypertension and have been for years.

After I saw we kept Fleming I took another.

sedated
03-11-2016, 04:43 PM
its normally around 140/90.

Same for me. Its been that way for as long as I can remember, and every doctor (3 over the last 10 years) has said the same thing, "keep an eye on it". One had me wear a monitor for 24 hours but said nothing about the results. I went to another doctor specifically to get on meds but he just suggested I buy a monitor to take regular readings.

I can't remember if I mentioned that my dad died of a BP-related stroke when he was 60. Certainly hope I did.

srvy
03-11-2016, 05:01 PM

Yikes is there a history of high blood pressure in your family?

Lonewolf Ed
03-11-2016, 05:02 PM
I have been on metoprolol because chemotherapy elevates my blood pressure and they don't want me to have a stroke. It's not keeping me away from the beer, though, but the chemo is. Not for much longer, however! I will drink many pints after April 25th up until June 22nd.

srvy
03-11-2016, 05:03 PM
Make sure that the cuff isn't too tight, as it will give a false high reading.

I have bigger biceps than most, so my doctor has to use a larger cuff and the over the counter digitals, like those sold at CVS, are too small for me.

But holy crap, that's high, Dude, especially for your age. All the doctors I know want everyone at 120/80 at worst. Good luck!

OK Arnold and for your info I have to use an extra large :D

srvy
03-11-2016, 05:11 PM
Same for me. Its been that way for as long as I can remember, and every doctor (3 over the last 10 years) has said the same thing, "keep an eye on it". One had me wear a monitor for 24 hours but said nothing about the results. I went to another doctor specifically to get on meds but he just suggested I buy a monitor to take regular readings.

I can't remember if I mentioned that my dad died of a BP-related stroke when he was 60. Certainly hope I did.

Im surprised in this I would consider it high as its right on the borderline and could go up at certain times. Maybe white coat syndrome.

DaneMcCloud
03-11-2016, 05:16 PM
Im surprised in this I would consider it high as its right on the borderline and could go up at certain times. Maybe white coat syndrome.

My doctor freaked a few years ago because mine was 122/80 on successive visits.

Out here, they take it very seriously and don't want anyone over 120/80.

Scooter LaCanforno
03-11-2016, 05:24 PM
I've been on them for years. BP 105/70. The nurses say I have the blood pressure of a teenager. Exercise and lose the carbs and sugars and you'll be fine. 59 years young.

srvy
03-11-2016, 05:41 PM
My doctor freaked a few years ago because mine was 122/80 on successive visits.

Out here, they take it very seriously and don't want anyone over 120/80.

That would be perfect in fact any lower I would feel tired and groggy all the time.

Fire Me Boy!
03-11-2016, 06:02 PM
If you cut back on salt, use more acids - lemon juice, vinegar, etc. It causes you to create more saliva and in that way mimics salt. It really works as a seasoning replacement.

Fire Me Boy!
03-11-2016, 06:04 PM
Those of you on Lisinopril, if you start to get a chronic cough, it's that. Pretty common. So common, in fact, it's called Lisinopril Cough.

srvy
03-11-2016, 06:22 PM
Those of you on Lisinopril, if you start to get a chronic cough, it's that. Pretty common. So common, in fact, it's called Lisinopril Cough.

This my sis went on it and developed that cough till she started sounding like Hillary Clinton. It later turned in to bronchitis that too 3 months to get rid of. If you get a tickle in throat and a dry cough be sure to tell the doc.

lewdog
03-11-2016, 07:27 PM
I'm young but have been on BP meds since I was 21. Always active and healthy but my awesome parents gave me their genes. My parents eat as healthy as anyone I know, exercise daily and are definitely normal weight. Doesn't matter, it's all in our genes. My grandfather died from undiagnosed high BP at 56 years old from a massive heart attack.

I take Lisinopril and 25 mg hydrochlorothiazide a day. You can still drink if you'd like but it makes you piss like a race horse and you need to pound the water down once you're finished. Since living in Phoenix I sweat quite a bit more. I drink 1-1.5 gallons a day to stay hydrated here. Sometimes close to 2 gallons if outside for an extended period of time.

I've noticed no side effects from the diuretic, which was added about 2 years ago for me to the Lisinopril. My BP was consistently 140-150/80-90 in my late teens before the doctor and I realize, all the eating healthy and working out in the world would not change my numbers.

threebag
03-12-2016, 12:00 AM
155/122, extra large cuff and no "Dicky-do"

'Hamas' Jenkins
03-12-2016, 12:19 AM
That's a diuretic, not exactly a blood pressure med. You'll probably see few side effects, other than having to urinate several more times than normal.

Losing weight will likely remedy the problem.

It's a first line BP med.

When you eat a high salt diet the osmotic balance causes water to leave your cells and remain in the plasma and interstitial fluid, where it exerts more force on the walls of the blood vessels. Now, he may produce more renin than other people, or there may be other factors, but if his BP is high, he's going to end up putting strain on his CV system, and HCTZ helps alleviate that by flushing out the extra water that contributes to increased BP.

It can be controlled with diet and exercise to an extent, but helping him clear out the extra salt is not a bad thing. You can use ACE-inhibitors or calcium channel blockers, but thiazide diuretics are safe, effective, and cheap.

Not all BP meds have similar pharmacological actions.

Bowser
03-12-2016, 12:29 AM
Jesus Christ, we've come a long way from the old MTG "I Think I'm Going to Have to Stomp a Mudhole in my Girlfriend's Stepdad's Ass if He Doesn't Stop Hitting On Her" threads.

Bowser
03-12-2016, 12:33 AM

Funny you should say that. I'm 45 about to turn 46, and I'm pretty certain that I'm dealing with personal metabolism dump #2, possibly #3. At this point, my metabolism is effectively like a set of tits on a turtle.

DaNewGuy
03-12-2016, 12:39 AM
I don't wanna live to be 45. I got about 23 years left to
Abuse my body... Hell yea

Bowser
03-12-2016, 12:41 AM
I don't wanna live to be 45. I got about 23 years left to
Abuse my body... Hell yea

http://www.quickmeme.com/img/0b/0be72e46eea60dc0f5ac218ea4424c75a7982125499e04e6e54c0d7f66623891.jpg

DaNewGuy
03-12-2016, 12:45 AM
http://www.quickmeme.com/img/0b/0be72e46eea60dc0f5ac218ea4424c75a7982125499e04e6e54c0d7f66623891.jpg

http://cdn.makeagif.com/save/PR9G2Y

DaneMcCloud
03-12-2016, 12:46 AM
It's a first line BP medac.

Isn't Aldactone as well?

My dad started that when he was 70 and it worked well, as his BP was previously 130/85.

DaneMcCloud
03-12-2016, 12:49 AM
Jesus Christ, we've come a long way from the old MTG "I Think I'm Going to Have to Stomp a Mudhole in my Girlfriend's Stepdad's Ass if He Doesn't Stop Hitting On Her" threads.

All I can say is follow your doctor's orders.

If you start to feel weird or disoriented, report it immediately, as there are many other treatments available and it might take a while to find what's best for you.

Heed this advice. There's no reason to suffer aches and pains if they exist.

splatbass
03-12-2016, 02:24 AM

Been on it for 5 years, no coughing. It's worked out well for me.

Fire Me Boy!
03-12-2016, 05:04 AM
Been on it for 5 years, no coughing. It's worked out well for me.

I learned about an allergy to ACE inhibitors through Lisinopril. Was coughing so hard I broke a rib.

03-12-2016, 07:25 AM
Funny you should say that. I'm 45 about to turn 46, and I'm pretty certain that I'm dealing with personal metabolism dump #2, possibly #3. At this point, my metabolism is effectively like a set of tits on a turtle.

Hey kid, how you doing kid?

I eat original oat meal every day with nothing in it. a lot of fish, chicken turkey and brown rice during the week and eat healthy. on the weekends is another story lol I usually eat whatever I want but not in huge quantities. and I drink beers on the weekend.

I'm gonna be 51 this year (how you doing kid?)I quit smoking on September 2, 2000, and I have a family history of heart disease and stroke, diabetes (basically a lot of bad things). I went to a cardiologist for the first time in my life this year (he took bp in both arms and lots of blood) my BP is 118 over 78 and my blood numbers were ''great'' according to the cardiologist. but who knows? I could drop dead of a heart attack tomorrow lol

With that being said, I have a friend whos 46 and in good shape and his BP went through the roof. it was hereditary, and he has to take BP meds. so in some cases its not just the diet and being over weight.

FYI everybody I know on BP Meds drink. why do you have to quit?

TheUte
03-12-2016, 10:26 AM
Drink a glass of red wine every night. My last physical came back with a slight high BP, no medication required.
My family has a history of BP problems, so I started to look into solutions.

Started drinking red wine with every dinner and the BP back to normal.

LoneWolf
03-12-2016, 10:45 AM
Side effects of red wine:

Repeat posts on message boards.

Fire Me Boy!
03-12-2016, 10:48 AM
Side effects of red wine:

Repeat posts on message boards.

Day drinking is OK if it's for your blood pressure.

MahiMike
03-12-2016, 10:52 AM
Don't take the meds. All AMA docs are pushers.

Fire Me Boy!
03-12-2016, 10:55 AM

Very good advice: Follow medical advice from a poster on a football message board.

Demonpenz
03-12-2016, 10:57 AM
I used to have hBP but it turns out I just needed to be around people who don't listen to dave matthews.

srvy
03-12-2016, 11:05 AM
I used to have hBP but it turns out I just needed to be around people who don't listen to dave matthews.

Why were you around these people to begin with?

splatbass
03-12-2016, 11:54 AM
I learned about an allergy to ACE inhibitors through Lisinopril. Was coughing so hard I broke a rib.

Ouch. Luckily I tolerate pretty much everything well, because I take a lot of medicine. High blood pressure, high cholesterol, rheumatoid arthritis, chronic insomnia, allergies to various pollens and house dust, etc.

I'm getting a hip replacement in May, and the orthopedic surgeon's form I filled out only had 8 spaces for medications, I had 11 to put down. I carry a list on my phone.

ThaVirus
03-12-2016, 11:58 AM
It's probably already been said, and it could be in your genes, but you should clean up your diet and lose some weight.

Fire Me Boy!
03-12-2016, 12:03 PM
Ouch. Luckily I tolerate pretty much everything well, because I take a lot of medicine. High blood pressure, high cholesterol, rheumatoid arthritis, chronic insomnia, allergies to various pollens and house dust, etc.

I'm getting a hip replacement in May, and the orthopedic surgeon's form I filled out only had 8 spaces for medications, I had 11 to put down. I carry a list on my phone.

Same here.

I have it taped to the back of my drivers license. If I'm visiting a new doctor where I'd have to fill that form out, I bring a printout for the same reason.

SAUTO
03-12-2016, 12:47 PM
We keep a med list for our daughter too. In a pocket on her wheelchair

Just makes it easier.

'Hamas' Jenkins
03-12-2016, 02:32 PM

That is incredibly fucking stupid.

'Hamas' Jenkins
03-12-2016, 02:40 PM
Isn't Aldactone as well?

My dad started that when he was 70 and it worked well, as his BP was previously 130/85.

Spironolactone is a potassium-sparing diuretic. It's a bit more complicated than HCTZ because it's basically a derivative of aldosterone, an important mineralocorticoid. It can be used for quite a bit more things than HCTZ.

It will work, but it's generally recommended for patients that have some congestive heart failure.

If you just have hypertension but other cardiovascular signs are relatively normal, most doctors will *likely* put you on an ACE-inhibitor like lisinopril or enalapril.

Chromatic
03-12-2016, 02:49 PM
Yeah, 20mg of lisinopril and 5 mgs of amlodipine a day. Pretty much keeps my BP around 110/70-80. Not bad.

I also drink a 6 pack of cheap shitty beer on the weekends. I've monitored my BP after and it was 100/70ish. Not bad?

I probably still shouldn't do that though.

BigMeatballDave
03-12-2016, 02:52 PM
Lisinopril. 20 mg/.

Mostly because of the fucking Chemo.

ThaVirus
03-12-2016, 03:01 PM
Yeah, 20mg of lisinopril and 5 mgs of amlodipine a day. Pretty much keeps my BP around 110/70-80. Not bad.

I also drink a 6 pack of cheap shitty beer on the weekends. I've monitored my BP after and it was 100/70ish. Not bad?

I probably still shouldn't do that though.

Alcohol lowers your blood pressure while you drink

splatbass
03-12-2016, 03:04 PM

This is REALLY BAD advice. I have rheumatoid arthritis and if I didn't take meds I would be in a wheelchair. I have tried herbal and other natural remedies and they don't stop my immune system from destroying my body. People with a serious illness that take your advice could DIE.

STFU about shit you know nothing about. You are dangerous.

Chromatic
03-12-2016, 03:06 PM
Alcohol lowers your blood pressure while you drink

I know. I'm just saying a few times in the past I've monitored my BP while drinking a few beers and it didn't lower it that much.

My limit for the weekend is 6 at the absolute most and even then I'm thinking about quitting, at least for a while. Even just drinking 6 beers makes me feel like absolute shit for a couple of hours the next morning.

Fire Me Boy!
03-12-2016, 03:12 PM
This is REALLY BAD advice. I have rheumatoid arthritis and if I didn't take meds I would be in a wheelchair. I have tried herbal and other natural remedies and they don't stop my immune system from destroying my body. People with a serious illness that take your advice could DIE.

STFU about shit you know nothing about. You are dangerous.

Well, shit. So I shouldn't stop my dialysis based on his recommendation? 'cause not being in renal failure would be a lot better.

splatbass
03-12-2016, 03:14 PM
Well, shit. So I shouldn't stop my dialysis based on his recommendation? 'cause not being in renal failure would be a lot better.

I know he means well, but that doesn't make his advice any less dangerous.

Fire Me Boy!
03-12-2016, 03:17 PM
I know he means well, but that doesn't make his advice any less dangerous.

No, I know. I agree with you. I was making the same point you are.

splatbass
03-12-2016, 03:26 PM
No, I know. I agree with you. I was making the same point you are.

I understand that. You are in a position to know.

I agree with him to a point. If you have a minor issue that can be treated with natural remedies or by healthy eating and exercise that is great. I make that choice myself sometimes. But not for serious illnesses.

InChiefsHeaven
03-12-2016, 03:34 PM
I'm 45 and just in the last year or so, my BP has been...elevated. 135 to 140 over 90 to 99, depending on the day. My doctor says I'm "on the edge" of having a problem. No meds yet, I do the elliptical 30 minutes a day and "sorta" watch what I eat. BUT...I've also gained weight that seems impossible to lose. Oh, did I mention my affection for whiskey? Yeah...

I've even cut back on my drinking. Used to be every Friday, Saturday and Sunday. I never got rippin' drunk, but I'd carry a pretty healthy buzz. I stopped all but Sunday drinking since January...no difference. Pisses me off.

I should just stop drinking altogether for a few months and see how that goes. But my pal whiskey...not sure he'd understand.

Pisses me off. Never had this much of a problem till this year regarding weight and BP. Getting older kinda sucks...

srvy
03-12-2016, 03:35 PM
I thought Docs were over aggressive to put everyone they could on Cholesterol lowering meds when it first came out. I can't remember the name but now the lawsuits are flying on it.

Fire Me Boy!
03-12-2016, 03:40 PM
I thought Docs were over aggressive to put everyone they could on Cholesterol lowering meds when it first came out. I can't remember the name but now the lawsuits are flying on it.

Crestor and Lipitor?

srvy
03-12-2016, 03:41 PM
yes

splatbass
03-12-2016, 03:49 PM

I've been taking Zocor for more than 20 years. Haven't had a problem, but my cholesterol is good. I have a family history of heart problems, so I think it is important for me.

58-4ever
03-12-2016, 05:13 PM
Yes, they are called vegetables.

Mosbonian
03-12-2016, 08:56 PM
I have been taking BP meds and a few other supporting for 5 years now.....whatever you do make sure you watch your Creatinine levels....

I have taken Lisinipril before and it made me cough like crazy....I hated it. It also made my ankles swell. Also took Amlodopine....hated it also. Too many side effects.

Presently I take Metoprolol, Valsartan, HZTC and Simvastatin....when I wasn't taking BP meds my BP was around 142/94 on the average and that started when I was in my mid 50's.

Now with those meds I have BP of 121/82 on a regular basis.....