PDA

View Full Version : NFL Draft Prisco's NFL Mock Draft 4.0: Broncos pull the trigger on Connor Cook

oaklandhater
03-15-2016, 03:10 PM
http://www.cbssports.com/nfl/writer/pete-prisco/25517722/priscos-nfl-mock-draft-40-broncos-pull-the-trigger-on-connor-cook

When the Miami Dolphins and Philadelphia Eagles made a deal that included exchanging first-round picks, it meant it was time for a new mock draft.

Why?

The bosses demanded it and you crave it.

OK, so maybe just the first part.

This is my Mock 4.0 and it takes into account the trade between Miami and Philadelphia and also the free-agent happenings. You will notice I now have four quarterbacks in the first round, with the top three being Jared Goff, Carson Wentz and Paxton Lynch.

The newcomer is Michigan State quarterback Connor Cook. I have him going to the Denver Broncos after they lost Brock Osweiler to the Texans in free agency. They have to get somebody.

There are several other changes from my last mock based on free agency. There's a little over a month to go until the draft, so the changes will keep on coming.

1. Tennessee Titans
Laremy Tunsil, T, Mississippi: They didn't get a tackle in free agency, but did land a center in Ben Jones. If they take Tunsil, they can really improve their line next year.

2. Cleveland Browns
Jared Goff, QB, California: Even if they make a deal to get Colin Kaepernick, I can't imagine that would take them out of the quarterback sweepstakes. Goff seems like the guy to me for now.

3. San Diego Chargers
DeForest Buckner, DE, Oregon: They suffered some hits in free agency on their line, and Brandon Mebane is only a little bit of a help, so they have to get help up front. Buckner is a power player who would fit what they want from their down players.

4. Dallas Cowboys
Jalen Ramsey, S, Florida State: They need a playmaker in the secondary. Ramsey can play both corner and safety, which offers versatility that the Cowboys need.

5. Jacksonville Jaguars
Myles Jack, MLB, UCLA: They addressed the front and secondary in free agency, but they need speed at linebacker. Jack would bring that and more. He is a three-down player.

6. Baltimore Ravens
Joey Bosa, DE, Ohio State: He would be playing more stand-up in their scheme, but Terrell Suggs made the transition when he came out. Bosa would be a nice addition with Suggs coming off injury.

7. San Francisco 49ers
Carson Wentz, QB, North Dakota State: They don't have an answer at quarterback, so they have to get one. This kid is raw, but talented. He is athletic, so he would fit in Chip Kelly's scheme.

8. Philadelphia Eagles
Paxton Lynch, QB, Memphis: Sam Bradford isn't the long-term answer. Chase Daniel isn't either. The word is they are eying a quarterback, which this move up helps. They can take a player who can learn for a year or so.

9. Tampa Bay Buccaneers
William Jackson III, CB, Houston: They added a smaller corner in Brent Grimes in free agency, so they can get a taller corner here in Jackson. I think he could also play inside, and the Bucs need help there too.

10. New York Giants
Darron Lee, LB, Ohio State: They really helped their front with Damon Harrison and Olivier Vernon. And they got a good corner in Janoris Jenkins. But the linebacker spot is still a mess. Lee can fly and they need speed.

11. Chicago Bears
A'Shawn Robinson, DT, Alabama: They have issues up front and this is a power player who would really help in the run game. He won't be much of a pass rusher, but he is powerful.

12. New Orleans Saints
Sheldon Rankins, DT, Louisville: They have to get push inside from their pass rush and Rankins is that type of player. He was impressive at the Senior Bowl.

13. Miami Dolphins
Ezekiel Elliott, RB, Ohio State: They signed C .J. Anderson to an offer sheet, but the Broncos might match. So I will put a back here until we know for sure. They clearly want help there.

14. Oakland Raiders
Ronnie Stanley, OT, Notre Dame: If they were able to land him here, they could keep Kelechi Osemele at guard, which is his better spot. They could really be good on the offensive line if that were to happen.

15. Los Angeles Rams
Josh Doctson, WR, TCU: They have to get a threat down the field in the passing game, no matter who starts at quarterback. This is the best receiver in the draft.

16. Detroit Lions
Laquon Treadwell, WR, Mississippi: They added Marvin Jones to Golden Tate in free agency, but they need more. Neither one of those guys is a No. 1 receiver. Treadwell looks like Dez Bryant.

17. Atlanta Falcons
Shaq Lawson, DE, Clemson: They took Vic Beasley last year, so now they add his former college teammate. They have to get more from their pass rush, and even with the signing of Derrick Shelby they have to get another body.

18. Indianapolis Colts
Taylor Decker, T, Ohio State: They have issues on their offensive line and this kid could play both tackle and guard. He is a tough, physical player.

19. Buffalo Bills
Robert Nkemdiche, DE, Mississippi: He has some off-field issues, but that's why he's down here. He has a ton of talent and would be worth the risk in this spot.

20. New York Jets
Noah Spence, DE, Eastern Kentucky: He has a lot of pass-rush ability and would help the outside pass rush in a big way. He would have to adjust to standing up more, but he is capable.

21. Washington Redskins
Vernon Hargreaves, CB, Florida: They have to get better outside in coverage and this is a player who excels in man coverage. He would step in and start right away.

22. Houston Texans
Ryan Kelly, C, Alabama: I know they signed Tony Bergstrom from the Raiders, but Kelly is the best center by far in this draft. Bergstrom might be little more than a backup.

23. Minnesota Vikings
Will Fuller, WR, Notre Dame: They got line help in free agency in Alex Boone, so they can get some speed outside for their passing game. Fuller is one of the fastest in this draft class.

24. Cincinnati Bengals
Corey Coleman, WR, Baylor: They lost both Marvin Jones and Mohamed Sanu to free agency. They have to get a threat to go opposite A.J. Green.

25. Pittsburgh Steelers
Mackenzie Alexander, CB, Clemson: He is projected to go higher than this, but his size might force him to slip some. The Steelers have to get help at corner.

26. Seattle Seahawks
Jack Conklin, OT, Michigan State: He is a self-made player who would really help a line that needs it. Conklin could play guard or tackle.

27. Green Bay Packers
Reggie Ragland, LB, Alabama: They are moving Clay Matthews back to the outside, so getting a run-thumper inside would make a lot of sense

28. Kansas City Chiefs
Eli Apple, CB, Ohio State: They lost Sean Smith to the Raiders, and even with Philip Gaines coming off injury I think they could use another. Apple is a talented player who could be the nickel as a rookie.

29. Arizona Cardinals
Kevin Dodd, DE, Clemson: They have said that fixing the pass rush was a top priority. This is a player who impressed rushing from the left side for the Tigers.

30. Carolina Panthers
Le'Raven Clark, OT, Texas Tech: They have to get better at the tackle spots, and this kid has a ton of skill. He looks more like a right tackle to me, and the Panthers need help there.

31. Denver Broncos
Connor Cook, QB, Michigan State: They are forced to take him here now. Why? Who do they have? What's the plan? Cook might be NFL ready right away. The issue is what's his ceiling.

Connor Cook is NFL-ready for a Broncos team that needs QB depth.. (USATSI)

oaklandhater
03-15-2016, 03:11 PM
I would be so pissed of the Broncos got cook.

I also don't think Eli makes it to where the chiefs pick.

RobBlake
03-15-2016, 03:40 PM
there's no obvious clear cut Hall of fame worthy 1st rounder.. but this draft seems to have a lot of guys that would help out quite a few teams in the first round.. hasn't been that way for a couple years. A great draft for depth this year, imo.

oaklandhater
03-15-2016, 03:44 PM
there's no obvious clear cut Hall of fame worthy 1st rounder.. but this draft seems to have a lot of guys that would help out quite a few teams in the first round.. hasn't been that way for a couple years. A great draft for depth this year, imo.

I really like cook for Reid's system think he could become a starter for us when Smith is done.

Mr. Laz
03-15-2016, 03:47 PM
I think we would be pretty lucky to get Apple.

pugsnotdrugs19
03-15-2016, 03:49 PM
I think the Steelers will take either Apple or Alexander, maybe WJ3, and we will take what's left.

listopencil
03-15-2016, 04:03 PM
I would be so pissed of the Broncos got cook.

I also don't think Eli makes it to where the chiefs pick.

Sounds like you've been watching him a lot. In your opinion does Mich State run more of a "pro style" Offense than is common in college football? I have seen contrary opinions and I have not watched them play other than YouTube highlights.

DaneMcCloud
I really like cook for Reid's system think he could become a starter for us when Smith is done.

Cook would be horrible for the WCO because he's horribly inaccurate.

Any good OC or QB coach will tell you that's not a correctable issue.

scho63
Will Cook even last that long?

oaklandhater
03-15-2016, 04:07 PM
Sounds like you've been watching him a lot. In your opinion does Mich State run more of a "pro style" Offense than is common in college football? I have seen contrary opinions and I have not watched them play other than YouTube highlights.

No its a gimmick offense not really a pro style at all the big thing cook has going for him he he keeps the ball safe when he tosses it in the air its either going to be incomplete or your wideout is going to catch it.

pretty good article on him been following him all year.

http://bleacherreport.com/articles/2610727-quarterback-connor-cook-is-most-polarizing-player-in-2016-nfl-draft

listopencil
03-15-2016, 04:10 PM
Cook would be horrible for the WCO because he's horribly inaccurate.

Any good OC or QB coach will tell you that's not a correctable issue.

I haven't watched him play, really. Just now looking at YouTube highlights. So far I the weakness I am seeing are mental. He doesn't seem to go through progressions like he should and locks on to specific receivers too much. I've seen him turn his back and effectively block his own vision of the field. I'm wondering if his inaccuracy (just going by what you are seeing) can be related to brain farts if his primary is covered? Indecision leads to inaccuracy for a QB.

oaklandhater

hard to say Wents and Goff are expected to go 1 and 2 if that happens the jets or broncos might trade up for Cook/Lynch/Hackenberg

The Franchise

He'll be there in the 3rd round. He's not going 1st round.

listopencil
03-15-2016, 04:11 PM
No its a gimmick offense not really a pro style at all the big thing cook has going for him he he keeps the ball safe when he tosses it in the air its either going to be incomplete or your wideout is going to catch it.

pretty good article on him been following him all year.

http://bleacherreport.com/articles/2610727-quarterback-connor-cook-is-most-polarizing-player-in-2016-nfl-draft

Ah, OK, thanks. I am seeing him under Center a lot and that was encouraging but I did just start looking at the guy and I know nothing of Michigan State.

DaneMcCloud
03-15-2016, 04:12 PM

Yes, most likely

oaklandhater
03-15-2016, 04:12 PM
I haven't watched him play, really. Just now looking at YouTube highlights. So far I the weakness I am seeing are mental. He doesn't seem to go through progressions like he should and locks on to specific receivers too much. I've seen him turn his back and effectively block his own vision of the field. I'm wondering if his inaccuracy (just going by what you are seeing) can be related to brain farts if his primary is covered? Indecision leads to inaccuracy for a QB.

A'lot of scouts are knocking cook right now for his attitude for not being a team captain and the whole Trophy grab issue

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/xQdUlfXcWWg" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

listopencil
03-15-2016, 04:21 PM
A'lot of scouts are knocking cook right now for his attitude for not being a team captain and the whole Trophy grab issue

<iframe src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/xQdUlfXcWWg" allowfullscreen="" frameborder="0" height="315" width="560"></iframe>

The more I look at the guy the less I like him. Seems like poor man's Jay Cutler.

oaklandhater
03-15-2016, 04:31 PM
The more I look at the guy the less I like him. Seems like poor man's Jay Cutler.

If I had to compare him to any nfl player I would say he looks the most like Chad pennington.

DaneMcCloud
03-15-2016, 04:32 PM
If I had to compare him to any nfl player I would say he looks the most like Chad pennington.

ROFL

No, not at all.

ROFL

oaklandhater
03-15-2016, 04:36 PM
ROFL

No, not at all.

ROFL

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap3000000524504/article/ask-5-whats-best-player-comp-for-msu-qb-connor-cook

Executive 1: Chad Pennington
"I see similarities to Pennington. He's smooth and has a good-not-great arm. He shows poise in the pocket and makes good decisions

I'm not the only one. before you die laughing

http://i65.tinypic.com/2882fir.jpg

notorious
03-15-2016, 04:46 PM

He is not very good.

Denver fans should be pissed if he goes in the 1st.

oaklandhater
03-15-2016, 04:48 PM
He is not very good.

Denver fans should be pissed if he goes in the 1st.

I would rather have Cook then Sanchez.

DaneMcCloud
03-15-2016, 04:49 PM
http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap3000000524504/article/ask-5-whats-best-player-comp-for-msu-qb-connor-cook

Executive 1: Chad Pennington
"I see similarities to Pennington. He's smooth and has a good-not-great arm. He shows poise in the pocket and makes good decisions

I'm not the only one. before you die laughing

I'm sorry, I don't believe that to be true, at all.

Chad Pennington was a very accurate and smart QB with leadership skills (he was chosen by Parcells, afterall).

Cook doesn't display accuracy and by all accounts, isn't a team leader.

DaneMcCloud
03-15-2016, 04:50 PM
I would rather have Cook then Sanchez.

I have serious question: Did you just start watching football?

All of your observations and comments are basically on the opposite end of the reality spectrum, regardless of the topic.

oaklandhater
03-15-2016, 04:59 PM

All of your observations and comments are basically on the opposite end of the reality spectrum, regardless of the topic.

Just because I don't agree with you that doesn't put me on the opposite end of the reality

Been watching football since Joe Montana came to KC

and who wouldn't want to take a chance on cook over the Butt fumble QB

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/rAp57G1hLn0" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

BigChiefFan
03-15-2016, 05:47 PM
He's actually a pretty good prospect, who has performed in the Pro Set. He's a consensus top 4 QB in the upcoming draft. I don't get the hate.

RobBlake
03-15-2016, 05:53 PM
He's actually a pretty good prospect, who has performed in the Pro Set. He's a consensus top 4 QB in the upcoming draft. I don't get the hate.

It's because he's a douche bag *apparently*

milkman
03-15-2016, 06:11 PM

He reminds me of Tony Gonzalez/John Wayne/whatever other incarnation.

Shows up and starts threads about topics that are being discussed ad nauseam in other threads, acting as if he's bringing original and fresh material, and not having a fucking clue on any topic.

BigChiefFan
03-15-2016, 06:11 PM
It's because he's a douche bag *apparently*
I can understand that argument, because there's been some minute talking points brought up regarding that. Whether it has any validity or not is debatable, but I can understand how it would cause someone to pump the brakes a little. That said, I think he's a better prospect than some care to admit.

tk13
03-15-2016, 07:00 PM
Cook was an NFL caliber QB and was never voted team captain by his teammates. That was really strange. Also, apparently his teammates didn't have glowing things to say about him at the Senior Bowl.

We've been through this with Geno, and with Manziel... people want to say character doesn't matter, but QB is the one position where it does. Not that you have to be squeaky clean, or Mr. Nice Guy even... but you certainly have to be a responsible team leader on the field and get guys to rally around you. I'm not saying Cook won't do that... but I think that's why people have concerns.

Deberg_1990
03-15-2016, 07:15 PM
How funny would if be if Reid protege Pederson drafts a 1st round QB in Philly?

DaneMcCloud
03-15-2016, 07:38 PM
How funny would if be if Reid protege Pederson drafts a 1st round QB in Philly?
Howie Roseman isn't dumb

OldSchool
03-15-2016, 10:12 PM
Good. I hope they pick him.

BlackHelicopters
03-16-2016, 11:10 AM
Unfortunately Apple will never last that long.

Saul Good
03-16-2016, 11:22 AM
I wouldn't mind seeing Coleman or Doctson fall to us. Treadwell would be great, but I don't see any chance of that happening.

O.city
03-16-2016, 11:25 AM
I wouldn't mind seeing Coleman or Doctson fall to us. Treadwell would be great, but I don't see any chance of that happening.

I'd like to see Coleman for sure.

DJ's left nut
03-16-2016, 11:50 AM
I'm sorry, I don't believe that to be true, at all.

Chad Pennington was a very accurate and smart QB with leadership skills (he was chosen by Parcells, afterall).

Cook doesn't display accuracy and by all accounts, isn't a team leader.

No kidding.

Pennington got by on intelligence and accuracy.

Cook has neither of those things.

I don't see Cutler...I see Jimmy Clausen. Inaccurate passer with a DB streak a mile wide and a slightly above average arm.