PDA

View Full Version : Football Chiefs proposes rule change because of Peyton Manning

The Franchise
03-17-2016, 02:20 PM
http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap3000000645284/article/2016-playing-rules-proposals

11. By Kansas City; to amend Rule 8, Section 1, Article 2 (Legal Forward Pass) to prohibit quarterbacks from falling to the ground, getting up, and throwing a forward pass.

More rule proposals at the link.

ModSocks
03-17-2016, 02:23 PM
Or the NE game....

10. By Kansas City; to amend Rule 14, Section 2, Article 1 (Half-distance Penalty) to add penalty yards to the distance needed to gain a First Down.

Mile High Mania
03-17-2016, 02:26 PM
Are they still trying to get more teams added to the playoffs?

Buehler445
03-17-2016, 02:27 PM

Peterson left years ago dude.

Discuss Thrower
03-17-2016, 02:28 PM
Can't see why this would get rejected.

Also, if I were proposing a rule, I'd ban the QB slide and instead move that the QB can only "give himself up" if he makes a deliberate, straight spike with the football before receiving defensive contact. The reason to get rid of the slide is mainly player safety (protects QBs from being Trent Green'ed by Justin Smith or from themselves because they can't properly slide) and adds to delays in the pace of play by needing to establish where the QB "gave himself up" and spot the ball at that point, whereas a straight spike to the ground makes that point clear.

A QB who makes a motion to spike but doesn't follow through with the act earns a 5 yard penalty from the LoS and replay of the down.

Garcia Bronco
03-17-2016, 02:29 PM
lol...so your team wants to play by college rules?

The Franchise
03-17-2016, 02:36 PM

Also, if I were proposing a rule, I'd ban the QB slide and instead move that the QB can only "give himself up" if he makes a deliberate, straight spike with the football before receiving defensive contact. The reason to get rid of the slide is mainly player safety (protects QBs from being Trent Green'ed by Justin Smith or from themselves because they can't properly slide) and adds to delays in the pace of play by needing to establish where the QB "gave himself up" and spot the ball at that point, whereas a straight spike to the ground makes that point clear.

A QB who makes a motion to spike but doesn't follow through with the act earns a 5 yard penalty from the LoS and replay of the down.

lolwut?

No way that would ever work.

LoneWolf
03-17-2016, 02:37 PM
lol...so your team wants to play by college rules?

It would be a monumental shift in philosophy if the Broncos decided to play by any rules.

LoneWolf
03-17-2016, 02:38 PM
lolwut?

It's Discuss Thrower. Were you expecting an intelligent opinion?

scho63
03-17-2016, 02:39 PM
Or the NE game....

10. By Kansas City; to amend Rule 14, Section 2, Article 1 (Half-distance Penalty) to add penalty yards to the distance needed to gain a First Down.

I like this change. A defense at 1st and goal at the 1/2 yard line can keep jumping the count to try and get an advantage and they could have 10 penalties and lose nothing. Troy Polamalu used to do that all the time with his dive.

TEX
03-17-2016, 02:40 PM

No. But the whole NFL should be trying to be able to play by the same rules as Denver.

listopencil
03-17-2016, 02:45 PM
Or the NE game....

That's not bad. Back the team up instead of penalizing them half a foot.

Discuss Thrower
lolwut?

Neither should a spike to stop the clock which should be an intentional grounding penalty, but yet here we are with an inconsistency in the rules. Also, where's the logic in spotting the ball where a QB started the slide.. or why is it just the QB who's allowed to make that move whereas with all other players the ball is spotted at the point on the field where the ball carrier's knee makes contact?

Making the QB spike it with a deliberate motion before contact protects QBs; if they don't do it before contact they risk a fumble and if they try and game the system with a pump fake, it negates any gain they made.

Mile High Mania
The dude fell... he didn't slide or give him self up.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Rk8wdxgj_xY

2014 - had he been able to get up and run or pass, same thing
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=K_qHF1966vw

listopencil
03-17-2016, 02:46 PM
I like this change. A defense at 1st and goal at the 1/2 yard line can keep jumping the count to try and get an advantage and they could have 10 penalties and lose nothing. Troy Polamalu used to do that all the time with his dive.

The way the rule is written it looks like it only affects the Offense. Am I misreading it?

The Franchise
03-17-2016, 02:48 PM

Not the same thing.

First video: He gave himself up but didn't get touched.

Second video: He got stepped on and tripped.

TimBone
03-17-2016, 03:10 PM

Oh get the fuck out of here with this shit.

Hoover
03-17-2016, 03:13 PM
Hey, if we are all about protecting the QB it makes perfect sense.

Mile High Mania
03-17-2016, 03:20 PM
Hey, if we are all about protecting the QB it makes perfect sense.

Agreed. I've seen Peyton intentionally slide and those two videos to me... weren't slides. If a QB did slide and got up to pass, to me, that's wrong. But, in the 2015 video, I didn't view that as a slide or a drop ... look at his feet as he was avoiding the sack.

The Franchise
03-17-2016, 03:23 PM
Agreed. I've seen Peyton intentionally slide and those two videos to me... weren't slides. If a QB did slide and got up to pass, to me, that's wrong. But, in the 2015 video, I didn't view that as a slide or a drop ... look at his feet as he was avoiding the sack.

Dude....look at his actions after he "slides". He gives up until he realizes that he didn't get touched. It's not like he fell....then immediately tried to get up.

Garcia Bronco
03-17-2016, 03:26 PM
I'd present a rule. The bottom 2 teams in each conference each year get relegated to the NCAA or semi-pro football.

DJ's left nut
03-17-2016, 03:29 PM

Absolutely.

Really good rule change, IMO. I've always hated the disproportionate impact of 'half the distance to the goal' penalties and any efforts at balancing those out are a good thing.

Mile High Mania
03-17-2016, 03:31 PM
Dude....look at his actions after he "slides". He gives up until he realizes that he didn't get touched. It's not like he fell....then immediately tried to get up.

Look around the 25 second mark... he's off balance as he tries to avoid the hit, I've seen him take the fall on purpose several times to avoid getting hit. I just don't view this as one of those times.

Red Dawg
03-17-2016, 03:36 PM
I don't know what the rule is but I thought during the home game against SD it was bullshit that they failed to score at the end of the game on 4th down but had a penalty. They got backed up and replayed the down. So they got two shots for the game winner.

ModSocks
03-17-2016, 03:38 PM
I don't know what the rule is but I thought during the home game against SD it was bullshit that they failed to score at the end of the game on 4th down but had a penalty. They got backed up and replayed the down. So they got two shots for the game winner.

I think that rule only applies if it's on the defense, no?

Mile High Mania
03-17-2016, 03:40 PM

Not sure what you're referring to...

Dayze
03-17-2016, 05:38 PM
I know one rule change I would like to see and it's as it relates to kickoffs.
I wish that if the team kicking off kicks it completely out of the end zone (not even landing at all in bounds), the other team starts at the 30.

i'd like to see more kickoffs where the returner has to make a decision to come out of the end zone.

alpha_omega
03-17-2016, 05:43 PM
#10 sounds pretty good to me.

mdchiefsfan
03-17-2016, 06:19 PM

"That wasn't a fumble; that was a spike!!!!" I can see it now. And your justification is rate of play? Hahahaha!

God damn, I keep reading your posts, giving you the benefit of the doubt to disprove your history of dumassery, but give me a bone here!

Rain Man
03-17-2016, 06:25 PM
I think half of those proposed changes are directly due to cheating by Denver and New England.

MMXcalibur
03-17-2016, 06:27 PM
Reasonable rule change.

Defenders are penalized, fined, and ridiculed when they so much as breath on a QB who's given himself up. Now you want the QB to take even more advantage of the situation? Bullshit.

JoeyChuckles
03-17-2016, 06:29 PM
It would be a monumental shift in philosophy if the Broncos decided to play by any rules.

Yeah, but we tampered. So we are in the same boat.

Discuss Thrower
03-17-2016, 06:29 PM
"That wasn't a fumble; that was a spike!!!!" I can see it now. And your justification is rate of play? Hahahaha!

God damn, I keep reading your posts, giving you the benefit of the doubt to disprove your history of dumassery, but give me a bone here!

Player safety and pace of play. Alex Smith is a good point of comparison as it seems he's always giving himself up yet still gets a good shot by a defender that isn't always called. And as long as there's a deliberate attempt to spike without being touched by a defensive player then it's a spike. QB is ruled down at the spot where he made the spike.

If he waits for contact and doesn't make a deliberate attempt to spike it then all bets are off.

Rain Man
03-17-2016, 06:30 PM
Change #19, proposed by Denver: "Outside linebackers charged with mass murder will be eligible to play until actually convicted, and will be allowed to play thereafter if prison furloughs can be arranged."

listopencil
03-17-2016, 06:30 PM
Look around the 25 second mark... he's off balance as he tries to avoid the hit, I've seen him take the fall on purpose several times to avoid getting hit. I just don't view this as one of those times.

Against PITT he fell down. As he was running he tried to lurch forward to avoid the defender. He lost footing and started to roll his left ankle, that's when he fell:

http://i121.photobucket.com/albums/o236/listopencil/vlcsnap-2016-01-17-21h47m03s242.png

Rain Man
03-17-2016, 06:33 PM
Player safety and pace of play. Alex Smith is a good point of comparison as it seems he's always giving himself up yet still gets a good shot by a defender that isn't always called. And as long as there's a deliberate attempt to spike without being touched by a defensive player then it's a spike. QB is ruled down at the spot where he made the spike.

If he waits for contact and doesn't make a deliberate attempt to spike it then all bets are off.

QBs will push the limits to the point where it's impossible to tell a spike from a fumble, and they'll "spike" at the last second to avoid any chance of a fumble. I think a better rule would be that the QB can throw the ball forward at any time if he's past the line of scrimmage, but it's a live ball. If it goes out of bounds, the ball is placed at the spot where he threw it. That would make QB scrambles much more entertaining and eliminate any ambiguity.

DJ's left nut
03-17-2016, 06:36 PM
QBs will push the limits to the point where it's impossible to tell a spike from a fumble, and they'll "spike" at the last second to avoid any chance of a fumble. I think a better rule would be that the QB can throw the ball forward at any time if he's past the line of scrimmage, but it's a live ball. If it goes out of bounds, the ball is placed at the spot where he threw it. That would make QB scrambles much more entertaining and eliminate any ambiguity.

And QBs would still get hit.

If flags aren't coming out on something as obvious as a slide, why would they come out on these 'throwaways'?

Ultimately, they just need to enforce the damn rule as written.

Rain Man
03-17-2016, 06:39 PM
Instead of the opening kickoff, they should drop a live ball from a blimp onto the 50 yard line.

RunKC
03-17-2016, 06:51 PM
Interesting rule against Denver: ejecting a player who gets his 2nd personal foul. Denver had like 25 personal foul penalties last season.

I think they should do this like soccer so players can't do this once a game (example: 4 personal foul penalties one a game in a 4 game stretch).

jspchief
03-17-2016, 06:54 PM
And the real reason its an issue is because if a defender had tackled Manning at the point when he fell then it would likely result in a penalty.

If defenders weren't required to walk on eggshells around QBs this wouldn't be as big of a problem. As it is, defenders are routinely asked to make split second decisions to protect the princess position of the league.

mdchiefsfan
03-17-2016, 06:56 PM

How about we attach white flags to the QB's waistband, which can be waived/tossed whenever they want to surrender?

I guess I can see your intent, but replacing the slide for a grounded ball would create more problems than it would replace.

mdchiefsfan
03-17-2016, 06:57 PM
Instead of the opening kickoff, they should drop a live ball from a blimp onto the 50 yard line.

LMAO two teams enter; one team leaves!!

mdchiefsfan
03-17-2016, 06:58 PM
Interesting rule against Denver: ejecting a player who gets his 2nd personal foul. Denver had like 25 personal foul penalties last season.

I think they should do this like soccer so players can't do this once a game (example: 4 personal foul penalties one a game in a 4 game stretch).

I do like the NBAs approach to technical fouls. This seems kind of similar.

New World Order
03-17-2016, 07:00 PM
I thought they were going to introduce new hgh testing

mdchiefsfan
03-17-2016, 07:03 PM
I thought they were going to introduce new hgh testing

LMAO damnit, Clark! :cuss:

Garcia Bronco
03-17-2016, 07:21 PM

The rule change would have only ejected 2 players last year and they played in the same game...Giants and Carolina

New World Order
03-17-2016, 07:34 PM
The rule change would have only ejected 2 players last year and they played in the same game...Giants and Carolina

And that was good entertainment

listopencil
03-17-2016, 07:44 PM

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/FeeVwkLYD5g?rel=0" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

milkman
03-17-2016, 07:56 PM
Give me #4 and #13.

listopencil
03-17-2016, 08:01 PM
I like:

13. By Washington; to amend Rule 16, Section 1, Articles 1, 4, 6 and 7 (Overtime procedures) to eliminate overtime periods in preseason games

And:

17. By Competition Committee; Makes it a foul for delay of game when a team attempts to call a timeout when it is not permitted to do so.

kccrow
03-17-2016, 08:03 PM
Am I reading the Chiefs proposal #10 as, for example, the offense has the ball 1st and goal from the 6 and the defense is off-sides, normally a 5-yard penalty, then the offense should get the ball 1st and goal at the 1 instead of 1st and goal at the 3? If this assumption is correct, then I could see that as fair since there are still yards to accommodate the penalty.

I do not agree with rule proposal #11. Any player that is not downed by contact is free to continue the play. Changing it only for QBs isn't fair. It is okay so long as the QB isn't considered "down" and free to continue moving the football forward. I'd be on board if they changed the rule to state the following: a player may not complete a forward pass if he touches the ground with any part of his body other than his hands or feet, but may otherwise advance the football until downed by contact. At least in this instance, all runners would be given equal treatment.

I like rules proposals 1-5,7 (which encompasses 12 and 15 as well),8,13,14,16 (makes the rule clearer for refs imo), and 17.

Proposal 6 is unrealistic. Vests? C'mon man. The player reports as eligible, if the defenders are too stupid to figure that out, too bad for them.

Proposal 9 is vague, but I agree. I'd like to see the rule simplified for intentional grounding to say that: it is intentional grounding if a ball is thrown 5 or more yards outside the immediate vicinity, arms length, of an eligible receiver and inside the field of play. This would let QBs throw the ball away at any time whether they are in the tackle box or not, but comes with the caveat that they have to throw the ball within reasonable distance of an eligible receiver even beyond the line of scrimmage.

Proposal 18 I don't like. It's not like the offense gains a competitive advantage from taking advantage of the penalty as it stands. Leave it alone. Loss of down penalties should be for severe infractions.

Proposal 19 is kinda vague as stated. I'm assuming they want to eliminate having the option to enforce the penalty on the kickoff or on the play? Not sure here. I'd favor eliminating the enforcement of non-personal foul penalties on the kickoff and making them only applicable to the play at hand.

Some things I didn't see that I would like to see:

Multiple penalties by the same team on the same down all be applied. For instance, if the defense is off-sides and they commit defensive holding, both 5-yard penalties, then the offense should gain 10 yards.

Offsetting penalties eliminated and instead be enforced as net of yardage and replay of down. If the offense commits a 10-yard foul and the defense a 5-yard foul, then the offense should lose 5 yards and replay the down.

Rain Man
03-17-2016, 08:13 PM
<iframe width="560" height="315" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/FeeVwkLYD5g?rel=0" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

On pure merit, that rule alone should have put the NFL out of business and had us all watching the XFL.

Discuss Thrower
03-17-2016, 08:23 PM
How about we attach white flags to the QB's waistband, which can be waived/tossed whenever they want to surrender?

I guess I can see your intent, but replacing the slide for a grounded ball would create more problems than it would replace.

I mean that kind of precedent was set in the inadvertent whistle game when the linesman blew the whistle waaaaaaaaaaaaaaay early because it looked like Brady was about to get smoked and seemed close enough to the sideline to kill the play.

The whole "put skirts on 'em will ya, sheesh" thing doesn't seem as biting considering the league has been forced to admit the game is causing traumatic brain injury. Changes are inevitable to limit the amount of blows players receive.

listopencil
03-17-2016, 08:28 PM
On pure merit, that rule alone should have put the NFL out of business and had us all watching the XFL.

Plus they would just pick up random local strippers to serve as cheerleaders who would go into the stands to perform their routines. That's gold.

Rain Man
03-17-2016, 10:04 PM
Plus they would just pick up random local strippers to serve as cheerleaders who would go into the stands to perform their routines. That's gold.

How on earth did that league fail? Was Donald Trump involved or something?

PAChiefsGuy
03-17-2016, 11:39 PM
Looks like we got ourselves a good-old-fashioned rivalry my friends...

Bob Dole
03-18-2016, 09:58 AM

And let's ignore that the reason he wasn't touched is the two-handed shove to Allen's back...

Mile High Mania
03-18-2016, 10:44 AM
And let's ignore that the reason he wasn't touched is the two-handed shove to Allen's back...

If they didn't call a block in the back, that's another thing entirely.

Valiant
03-18-2016, 10:46 AM

Dude even the offensive line quit, I know he fell, but his slides look the exact same. It literally looked like he slid.

This should be a rule, if not, you should not be able to get a penalty for any hit on a QB on the ground if the whistle has not blown. Too many defensive players are too passive with how much they protect QBs, especially marquee QBs.

The QB spike needs to go away, or force them to throw beyond the LOS or to their WRs/TEs feet.

Mile High Mania
03-18-2016, 10:53 AM
Dude even the offensive line quit, I know he fell, but his slides look the exact same. It literally looked like he slid.

This should be a rule, if not, you should not be able to get a penalty for any hit on a QB on the ground if the whistle has not blown. Too many defensive players are too passive with how much they protect QBs, especially marquee QBs.

The QB spike needs to go away, or force them to throw beyond the LOS or to their WRs/TEs feet.

I don't disagree with any of that.

Pasta Little Brioni
03-18-2016, 11:40 AM
Mania you sound like knowmo lately. Damn must be rough times ahead in Pile high