PDA

View Full Version : Chiefs Exactly how good were Peters and Smith last year?

pugsnotdrugs19
03-21-2016, 04:31 PM
Excellent write-up from AP, but the information comes from a complete outsider.

http://www.arrowheadpride.com/2016/3/17/11255580/exactly-how-good-were-marcus-peters-and-sean-smith

I strongly recommend a full read on this one, but the gist of this post is that based on the studies of this author, who watches every coverage snap for cornerbacks from several different teams, his formula suggests that Marcus Peters was the BEST corner in the league in 2015. He uses a grading system that examines how tight coverage is on each play, and later on also factors in interceptions to his grading. However, despite the 8 interceptions Peters had, he still came in at #1 based on his coverage grades alone.

Smith also had a solid grade, but not to the level of the rookie.

O.city
03-21-2016, 04:40 PM
I can't call a guy the best in the league after giving up the amount of yards and TD's he did.

He was a rookie though and had an outstanding year and looks to be on a track to become an elite type corner.

But I'd probably cool it with the "best corner in the league" talk.

SAUTO
03-21-2016, 04:42 PM
I can't call a guy the best in the league after giving up the amount of yards and TD's he did.

He was a rookie though and had an outstanding year and looks to be on a track to become an elite type corner.

Beat me to it

The Franchise
03-21-2016, 04:42 PM

I fully expect his INT numbers to come down, as well as the yards/TDs allowed next season.

pugsnotdrugs19
03-21-2016, 04:43 PM
If the post didn't make it clear enough, I'm not the one who said he was the best in the league, the formula was....

SAUTO
03-21-2016, 04:44 PM
If the post didn't make it clear enough, I'm not the one who said he was the best in the league, the formula was....

I didn't see anyone point you out.

pugsnotdrugs19
03-21-2016, 04:45 PM
I didn't see anyone point you out.

Seemed that O.city's post was directed that way, maybe not though

staylor26
03-21-2016, 04:46 PM

Most of those yards and TD's came in the first half of the season. He was phenomenal after the second half.

He's not the best in the league yet, but he will be.

O.city
03-21-2016, 04:46 PM
I fully expect his INT numbers to come down, as well as the yards/TDs allowed next season.

Thing is, i'd be ok with the yards and TD's to an extent, as long as he's taking the ball away.

It's really important to put a CB opposite him thats a really good player. Sean Smith was great for us because he made teams throw at Peters, which lead late in the year to INTS

Hoover
03-21-2016, 04:48 PM
Thing is, i'd be ok with the yards and TD's to an extent, as long as he's taking the ball away.

It's really important to put a CB opposite him thats a really good player. Sean Smith was great for us because he made teams throw at Peters, which lead late in the year to INTS

Which is why I'd be thrilled if we took a CB in the first round again.

O.city
03-21-2016, 04:49 PM
I don't think he'll ever be "the best shutdown corner in the league" guy, but I think he'll be a "you may get me once but I'll get one too" kind of guy.

Which IMO, is preferable.

beach tribe
03-21-2016, 04:49 PM

While I agree you have to factor in the fact that he was the most targeted corner in the league when considering his yards and TDs allowed.
That will change in 2016 which will bring down all those #'s including his INTs.

pugsnotdrugs19
03-21-2016, 04:51 PM
I'd rather have Peters do a better job locking down WR's if it means he has to cut his INT's in half. With a pass rush like KC has, the less open they are, the more sacks, and thus more fumbles, so the turnovers likely balance out in that respect.

I'll take the Peters that played in the last half of the year all day. He was a lockdown corner mostly and still getting his takeaway opportunities.

O.city
03-21-2016, 04:51 PM
While I agree you have to factor in the fact that he was the most targeted corner in the league when considering his yards and TDs allowed.
That will change in 2016 which will bring down all those #'s including his INTs.

That's true.

I was just speaking to the authors viewpoint of the best corner in the league.

O.city
03-21-2016, 04:53 PM
I'd rather have Peters do a better job locking down WR's if it means he has to cut his INT's in half. With a pass rush like KC has, the less open they are, the more sacks, and thus more fumbles, so the turnovers likely balance out in that respect.

I'll take the Peters that played in the last half of the year all day. He was a lockdown corner mostly and still getting his takeaway opportunities.

I think he's always gonna be the type of player to give up a play every now and then due to his aggressive style.

If he can stay aggressive and not give up plays, yeah, thats HOF type stuff.

O.city
03-21-2016, 04:55 PM
If they don't put a competent corner opposite him, the INT numbers will come down as well.

We're really thin at Corner right now. Hope they've got something up their sleeve.

O.city
03-21-2016, 04:56 PM
3 posts in a row in a single thread.

Thats like the Cp turkey.

pugsnotdrugs19
03-21-2016, 04:57 PM
I still get a feeling that they may really be considering a CB group which would consist of:

CB1- Peters (obvious)
CB2- Gaines
Slot- Nelson

For better or worse, I really can see it. A lot of it will depend on how firmly they stick to the BPA approach Dorsey says is used. I'm still pulling for taking a CB in the 1st round, but I don't think I'd be upset with that scenario ^^^ as long as sufficient depth is added. If they wait until the 2nd or 3rd round to take a CB, I wouldn't be surprised with that group above being the starters.

beach tribe
03-21-2016, 05:04 PM
I still get a feeling that they may really be considering a CB group which would consist of:

CB1- Peters (obvious)
CB2- Gaines
Slot- Nelson

For better or worse, I really can see it. A lot of it will depend on how firmly they stick to the BPA approach Dorsey says is used. I'm still pulling for taking a CB in the 1st round, but I don't think I'd be upset with that scenario ^^^ as long as sufficient depth is added. If they wait until the 2nd or 3rd round to take a CB, I wouldn't be surprised with that group above being the starters.
I think Dorsey will swing something for more help at CB.

pugsnotdrugs19
03-21-2016, 05:06 PM
I think Dorsey will swing something for more help at CB.

I think he will too and he should, but can he get anyone better than Gaines or Nelson? In the draft sure, but after the first round? Opportunities are limited to get better at the top of the depth chart.

MTG#10
03-21-2016, 05:06 PM

CB1- Peters (obvious)
CB2- Gaines
Slot- Nelson

That would be a disaster

O.city
03-21-2016, 05:12 PM
Well, you draft and develop those guys, at some point, they've gotta play.

But damn, that's a little scary

pugsnotdrugs19
03-21-2016, 05:16 PM
That would be a disaster

Hey, who knows?

They didn't draft those guys early for no reason. They each have had flashes, and much more in Peters' case.

In 2014, we were starting Smith (who was really good), Jamell Fleming (who was ok), Chris Owens in the slot (who was bad), and we still had a great pass defense.

Can't overthink it.

Mr. Laz
03-21-2016, 05:17 PM
Unless something surprising happens, Peters numbers will drop like a rock this season.

Ints,yards allowed,TD allowed,PD's

Nobody is going to throw at Peters when Ron Parker is the corner across from him.

pugsnotdrugs19
03-21-2016, 05:19 PM
Unless something surprising happens, Peters numbers will drop like a rock this season.

Nobody is going to throw at Peters when Ron Parker is the corner across from him.

Can't tell if you're being sarcastic here Laz but there's not a chance in hell that Parker is at corner... He's our SS all day.

staylor26

:facepalm:

You're such a fucking idiot it's unbelievable.

Mr. Laz
Can't tell if you're being sarcastic here Laz but there's not a chance in hell that Parker is at corner... He's our SS all day.
yes, i'm being sarcastic but Parker was our slot corner this year.

pugsnotdrugs19
03-21-2016, 05:22 PM
yes, i'm being sarcastic but Parker was our slot corner this year.

Cause of Gaines' injury, though.

Whether Gaines is at the #2 CB spot or in the slot again, Parker will be back at safety where he is at his best.

Mr. Laz
03-21-2016, 05:25 PM
Cause of Gaines' injury, though.

Whether Gaines is at the #2 CB spot or in the slot again, Parker will be back at safety where he is at his best.
so it's not hell freezing over, it's just someone getting injured?

RunKC
03-21-2016, 05:37 PM
When has Dorsey ever drafted for need in the first round? Don't see that happening.

DL is the pick with Dorsey's history, but it wouldn't surprise me at all if we see someone like Germain Ifedi, Karl Joseph or Braxton Miller.

I'm probably most confident that it won't be a QB with the info we've been provided.

O.city
03-21-2016, 05:47 PM
When has Dorsey ever drafted for need in the first round? Don't see that happening.

DL is the pick with Dorsey's history, but it wouldn't surprise me at all if we see someone like Germain Ifedi, Karl Joseph or Braxton Miller.

I'm probably most confident that it won't be a QB with the info we've been provided.

That's true but one could argue they've never had a need as big as corner right now.

Plus corner seems to matchup BPA around our pick.

Deberg_1990
03-21-2016, 06:33 PM
That's true but one could argue they've never had a need as big as corner right now.

So Chiefs go WR in the first then?

jspchief
03-21-2016, 06:46 PM
This guy's formula is broken. Norman and Peterson were both better cover guys. Peters was susceptible all year to double moves.

Exciting young player? Yes. Best in the league? Not even close.

RunKC
03-21-2016, 07:00 PM

How likely is it that a CB will be Marcus Peters next year, or even close? How many CB's after pick 25 have been immediate contributors year one? I think Jackson, Apple and maybe Alexander could be solid role players in 2016, but would you take them over someone like Vernon Butler, Andrew Billings, Chris Jones or Germain Ifedi?

I think that's a plausible option to get a guy round 1 to make an immediate strong impact and a decent role player round 2.

I'm looking at CB's in the 2nd round and I see Juston Burris, Harlan Miller, DJ White, Rashard Robinson and maybe Kendall Fuller with his health issues.

Would you rather get an immediate impact guy (most notably one of the very good DL) with one of those guys in the 2nd round or reach for WJIII, Alexander, Burns, Howard simply for need?

BossChief
03-21-2016, 07:07 PM
This guy's formula is broken. Norman and Peterson were both better cover guys. Peters was susceptible all year to double moves.

Exciting young player? Yes. Best in the league? Not even close.

Yup. He watches the QB too much.

Brady got him in the playoff game. Eric Davis was talking about it one day...how he talked to Marcus and told him he better stop watching the QB...

O.city
03-21-2016, 07:32 PM
How likely is it that a CB will be Marcus Peters next year, or even close? How many CB's after pick 25 have been immediate contributors year one? I think Jackson, Apple and maybe Alexander could be solid role players in 2016, but would you take them over someone like Vernon Butler, Andrew Billings, Chris Jones or Germain Ifedi?

I think that's a plausible option to get a guy round 1 to make an immediate strong impact and a decent role player round 2.

I'm looking at CB's in the 2nd round and I see Juston Burris, Harlan Miller, DJ White, Rashard Robinson and maybe Kendall Fuller with his health issues.

Would you rather get an immediate impact guy (most notably one of the very good DL) with one of those guys in the 2nd round or reach for WJIII, Alexander, Burns, Howard simply for need?

I don't see anyone we take being of the Peters level, not that I don't think we can get a good player, but thats pretty rare.

The key to getting good early impact players is taking guys that are very conducive to your scheme. Theyve done pretty well with that of late, so I'm not overly concerned about it.

But to answer your question, I think picking a DL and hoping he has a high impact early year 1 is a bit hopeful too. DL has a really high learning curve and with our current DL, there isn't a whole lot of playing time to go around. Not that I wouldn't take one though.

Chiefshrink
03-21-2016, 08:35 PM
We'll definitely find out for sure this year with a tougher schedule. We really won't know until after this season IMHO.

RealSNR
03-21-2016, 09:08 PM
I don't see anyone we take being of the Peters level, not that I don't think we can get a good player, but thats pretty rare.

The key to getting good early impact players is taking guys that are very conducive to your scheme. Theyve done pretty well with that of late, so I'm not overly concerned about it.

But to answer your question, I think picking a DL and hoping he has a high impact early year 1 is a bit hopeful too. DL has a really high learning curve and with our current DL, there isn't a whole lot of playing time to go around. Not that I wouldn't take one though.

I agree.

This is supposedly a deep draft for DL? Terrific. Then pick one in the mid to late rounds. That's the benefit of deep drafts if you want to find great players in all rounds.

RealSNR
03-21-2016, 09:11 PM

QB in 2013 was a pretty gaping vagina. He seemed just fine passing on the position in all 7 rounds.

Don't draft a CB just to draft one. If William Jackson is the best there is in the first round, I'd prefer that we pass on him.

TigeRRUppeRRcut
03-21-2016, 09:17 PM
We need to go corner in the first 2 rounds. Absolutely.

New World Order
03-21-2016, 09:18 PM
We need to go corner in the first 2 rounds. Absolutely.

This.

We want to emulate Denver? Then let's get our secondary straightened out.

pugsnotdrugs19
03-21-2016, 09:21 PM
We'll definitely find out for sure this year with a tougher schedule. We really won't know until after this season IMHO.

On paper, this schedule is easier than last year's was heading into the season.

RunKC
03-21-2016, 09:30 PM
QB in 2013 was a pretty gaping vagina. He seemed just fine passing on the position in all 7 rounds.

Don't draft a CB just to draft one. If William Jackson is the best there is in the first round, I'd prefer that we pass on him.

I agree here.

I just want a good player who will step in day 1 and make the team better. I'd prefer defense, but if it's a G then we have an amazing OL. If it's a LB, then he'll yeah, etc.

No more Dee Ford's or Eric Fisher's until round 3. Time to load up and go in for the whole fucking thng.

Psyko Tek
03-22-2016, 02:43 AM
So Chiefs go WR in the first then?

O line, it's a tradition