PDA

View Full Version : Chiefs Houston has ACL Surgery Feb. 15

Pages : [1] 2 3

MotherfuckerJones
03-22-2016, 07:20 AM
@TerezPaylor Burkholder said Justin Houston had his knee scoped in February. Dr. Andrews found that his ACL is not functioning. It has been fixed.

@TerezPaylor Houston had his ACL fixed on February 15.

@TerezPaylor Burkholder said Houston has a 6-12 month recovery so it’s tough to tell when he will be back.

*had*

The Franchise
03-22-2016, 07:21 AM
JFC

MotherfuckerJones
03-22-2016, 07:21 AM
JFC

Oh this is totally fucked. Better draft a pass rusher early

O.city
03-22-2016, 07:22 AM
Ian Rappaport
#KCChiefs announce star pass-rusher Justin Houston had his knee scoped to "fix" his ACL on Feb. 15. Recovery ranges from 6-12 months. Yikes

The Franchise
Best case scenario - He'll be back before the season starts.
Worst case scenario - He'll miss the entire season.

The Franchise

O.city
03-22-2016, 07:24 AM
Ian Rappaport
Justin Houston's ACL wasn't torn, just wasn't working properly after last year's injury. Now he'll almost certainly begin camp on PUP list

MotherfuckerJones
03-22-2016, 07:24 AM

I'm gona go ahead with worst case scenario...because Chiefs

MotherfuckerJones
03-22-2016, 07:25 AM
The 6 month timeline puts it mid-August. My guess as of right now is PUP list to start the year.

Jerm
03-22-2016, 07:25 AM
http://i.imgur.com/nojWx.gif

chiefscafan
03-22-2016, 07:27 AM
Wow I don't want to lose the west to the obnoxious Raiders or Broncos this is depressing news.

Chief Roundup
Well this puts a damper on the start of the season.

ChiliConCarnage
damn. .. because chuefs!!

stevieray
03-22-2016, 07:28 AM
He Cakin , Patna!

MotherfuckerJones
03-22-2016, 07:28 AM
We swept Oakland without him remember.

Prison Bitch
03-22-2016, 07:30 AM
What a terrible signing

Should never have given him the money, you just knew he'd turn into a pumpkin

chiefscafan
But Oakland has gotten better we really need Dee Ford to step up now

Quesadilla Joe
Chris Harris Jr tore his ACL in January and played every game the following year. Von tore his in December of that same season and played every game the next year as well.

MotherfuckerJones
I wish they would've done this late in the season when he had it looked at by Dr. Andrews.

O.city
03-22-2016, 07:31 AM
Ian Rappaport
#KCChiefs paid a ton for Tamba Hali & Justin Houston's injury helps explain why. His recovery could be 12 months--missing 2016 is possible

O.city
03-22-2016, 07:31 AM
What a terrible signing

Based on?

MotherfuckerJones
03-22-2016, 07:33 AM
Pass rusher just shot up the needs list

O.city
03-22-2016, 07:34 AM
Pete prisCo

Basically Justin Houston played with a torn ACL in the playoffs. Tough guy.

RealSNR
What a terrible signing

Should have never signed him because he might get injured.

You're as brilliant with your football takes as you are politics. CoMoChief better watch his back, or you'll catch up to him one of these days.

O.city
I bet he's back by training camp

MotherfuckerJones
03-22-2016, 07:35 AM
Should have never signed him because he might get injured.

You're as brilliant with your football takes as you are politics. CoMoChief better watch his back, or you'll catch up to him one of these days.

ROFL

MotherfuckerJones
03-22-2016, 07:36 AM
I bet he's back by training camp

I doubt it. I think he misses preseason in its entirety. Starts the season on PUP.

The Franchise
03-22-2016, 07:37 AM
Ian Rappaport
#KCChiefs paid a ton for Tamba Hali & Justin Houston's injury helps explain why. His recovery could be 12 months--missing 2016 is possible

Figured there was a reason that Hali got paid that much.

Chief Roundup
Based on?

The sky is falling and PB is a fucking idiot.

TigeRRUppeRRcut
This could go down as one of the worst contracts we have given out.

At least our schedule isn't as hard as last year, we are playing teams that this offense can win the games for us

rockymtnchief
03-22-2016, 07:38 AM
Well, now I have a reason to drink today.

Chiefs Pantalones
03-22-2016, 07:39 AM
Not sure what the big deal is. Multiple players have had ACL surgery in January & have come back in time for the next season. Von Miller tore his a couple years ago in late December, had surgery in January, was back in time for the season. Houston had his done in Febuary, will likely be back at full strength in two years like everyone else but be playing by September. This isn't 1995. People need to stop freaking out.

DC.chief
Lets draft Dee ford in the first

scho63
I blame the Chiefs medical staff for this.

Why the hell did they wait so long?

BleedingRed
03-22-2016, 07:40 AM
This could be a blessing, now I know we losing him and it will hurt. But the silver lining could be Dee Ford really developing at last.

Chief Roundup
03-22-2016, 07:41 AM
Pass rusher just shot up the needs list

Not really.

BleedingRed
03-22-2016, 07:43 AM
Not really.

I dont know why people keep forgetting about Dee Ford, He is a great speed rusher who plays over Howard (great run stopper). We have Hali and Zombo (whom looked decent a few games last year)

We will be fine!

We need in this order CB > MLB > DL

Hog's Gone Fishin
03-22-2016, 07:44 AM
This could actually work out good. We just need to make the playoffs and he will be ready and be fresh. Last year he was worthless at the end of the season as well as Tamba.

LoneWolf
03-22-2016, 07:45 AM
I blame the Chiefs medical staff for this.

Why the hell did they wait so long?

Does anyone read the fucking content posted or just the header of the OP? His ACL wasn't torn, it just wasn't functioning properly. This wasn't discovered until Dr. Andrews completed a scope of Justin's knee. This would be a very hard diagnosis for the Chiefs medical staff to detect on a player with an obviously sprained knee and swelling in said knee.

This explains the Tamba contract and squashes all the stupid talk about Dee Ford being worthless and the Chiefs only resigning Tamba because they think Ford is a bust.

Mr_Tomahawk
03-22-2016, 07:49 AM
This sucks. Because Chiefs.

That said, I expect him to have an Adrian Peterson sort of comeback seeings the guys is a physical freak and has that sort of drive.

I would be shocked if he missed the entire season.

RunKC
03-22-2016, 07:50 AM
I don't buy him missing the season. He didn't full on tear it or anything. Sounds like a 6 month recovery.

RealSNR
03-22-2016, 07:55 AM
Where's that clown who claimed Justin Houston was an overpaid baby just because Thomas Davis played the Super Bowl with some sort of club to protect his arm injury?

It's rape time

kcchiefsus
03-22-2016, 07:56 AM
Glad we're spending around 15% of our cap on him. What a fucking waste.

O.city
03-22-2016, 07:56 AM
Same as with Poe last year, he'll be back sometime in training camp

PutQuinnIn
03-22-2016, 07:57 AM
<blockquote class="twitter-tweet" data-lang="en"><p lang="en" dir="ltr">The LORD is my light and my salvation; whom shall I fear? the LORD is the strength of my life; of whom shall I be afraid?</p>&mdash; Justin Houston (@JHouston50) <a href="https://twitter.com/JHouston50/status/711179881829130240">March 19, 2016</a></blockquote> <script async src="//platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

scho63
03-22-2016, 07:59 AM
Does anyone read the ****ing content posted or just the header of the OP? His ACL wasn't torn, it just wasn't functioning properly. This wasn't discovered until Dr. Andrews completed a scope of Justin's knee. This would be a very hard diagnosis for the Chiefs medical staff to detect on a player with an obviously sprained knee and swelling in said knee.

This explains the Tamba contract and squashes all the stupid talk about Dee Ford being worthless and the Chiefs only resigning Tamba because they think Ford is a bust.

I read the article! :rolleyes:

Justin's knee was screwed up from the moment he got hurt and it took all kinds of time to try and heal but HE NEVER could do much with it the entire second half of the season. They should have scoped his knee the SECOND we lost the playoff game when he came out early and couldn't go anymore because his knee was so screwed up.

It was so obvious that it wasn't a simple sprain. THAT'S WHY YOU DO A SCOPE! NOT AN EXTREME OR DANGEROUS PROCEDURE!

TribalElder
03-22-2016, 08:01 AM
No wonder Tamba was resigned so quickly

TribalElder
03-22-2016, 08:01 AM
Too much gold for that knee to hold up

carcosa
03-22-2016, 08:02 AM
DOOMED AF

Sully
03-22-2016, 08:03 AM
I dont know why people keep forgetting about Dee Ford, He is a great speed rusher who plays over Howard (great run stopper). We have Hali and Zombo (whom looked decent a few games last year)

We will be fine!

We need in this order CB > MLB > DL
No one is forgetting Ford, but outside of against San dDiego's number 3 tackle, he hasn't shown a thing in 2 seasons.

RealSNR
03-22-2016, 08:05 AM
Remember what Tamba said? It was basically the Dick Vermeil equivalent of "Dee Ford needs to take the diapers off."

Dee Ford improved last year. We're going to need him to be better, though.

DanBecky
03-22-2016, 08:10 AM
Where's that clown who claimed Justin Houston was an overpaid baby just because Thomas Davis played the Super Bowl with some sort of club to protect his arm injury?

It's rape time

I believe it was (and I couldn't care less if I'm wrong) Bambi.

KC_Lee
03-22-2016, 08:11 AM
Going to try to put a "glass half full" spin on this...

So we have a chance to have Houston at 100% later in the season than a banged up Houston at the end of the season?

ct
These idiots complaining about his contract need to STFU

This injury was a total fluke of a play, just a tough break, tough shit, have to deal with it.

This isn't the end of the world and may actually be a blessing in disguise. (rose glasses on)

Now he will be sure to rest and get healthy. Tamba is back, and this may be partly why. Tamba has already lit the flame under Dee's ford, time for him to pick it up. Betting we grab a pass rusher fairly early in this draft. And don't forget March also, who has some potential as depth/situational rusher.

color me not too terribly worried. it's not good, that's a fact. but i feel confident all will be fine not too deep into the season. everyone wants to panic early in the offseason and even early in the regular season. it'll be ok, chill...

displacedinMN
It worries me a little. But, players are in better physical condition than 5 of us combined.

I would think that he could come back into the season somewhere. Also be used sparingly.
My doc made me walk on my ACL tear 2 days after he fixed it. An athlete could do the same and start rehab sooner.

I also think getting to NFL form would take less time for an athlete.

trying to be optimistic

Stinger
03-22-2016, 08:14 AM
I know there are always setbacks but I thought the rule of thumb for scopes was 7-12 weeks since they are not as invasive as an actual surgery.

nychief
03-22-2016, 08:16 AM
Welp. Thank god we got Tamba back... would like moses back now too.

loochy
03-22-2016, 08:17 AM
I know there are always setbacks but I thought the rule of thumb for scopes was 7-12 weeks since they are not as invasive as an actual surgery.

Right, but that's for a normal scope and cleanup operation. However, we don't know what they are going to actually do to his ACL to fix it.

O.city
03-22-2016, 08:19 AM
Right, but that's for a normal scope and cleanup operation. However, we don't know what they are going to actually do to his ACL to fix it.

Apparently, they did fix it while they were in there, atleast that's my understanding

mcaj22
03-22-2016, 08:20 AM
who plays Justin Houston's side to start the season? Dee Ford? He can't cover anything when bozo Sutton drops that LBer position in coverage.

RunKC
03-22-2016, 08:20 AM
Some dr on 810 AM is saying that Houston is most likely in the 6-9 month range. Burkholder apparently said Houston was through the first stage of rehab and in the middle of the process. There are 3 stages of ACL rehab.

12 months is basically a worst case scenario.

BigMeatballDave
03-22-2016, 08:21 AM
Always nice when the season is over 6 months before it begins lol

Stinger
03-22-2016, 08:26 AM
who plays Justin Houston's side to start the season? Dee Ford? He can't cover anything when bozo Sutton drops that LBer position in coverage.

:shrug:

http://www.chiefs.com/media-center/videos/Dee-Fords-Pass-Defense/2a0c290f-d61c-4b5f-9530-736523eac52a

loochy
03-22-2016, 08:26 AM
Apparently, they did fix it while they were in there, atleast that's my understanding

Ah, ok, good.

I wonder what they did. I also wonder what it means to have the ACL "not function properly". It just sits there and holds your knee together. It seems to me that it's either attached and working or it's torn and not working. Could it have possibly stretched out and allowed too much play in the knee or something?

O.city
03-22-2016, 08:28 AM
Ah, ok, good.

I wonder what they did. I also wonder what it means to have the ACL "not function properly". It just sits there and holds your knee together. It seems to me that it's either attached and working or it's torn and not working. Could it have possibly stretched out and allowed too much play in the knee or something?

That's what I'm guessing.

There was a doc on 810 this morning talking about it, didn't get to listen though. I think RunKC did, have to ask him.

MotherfuckerJones
03-22-2016, 08:31 AM
This team was fine without him and will continue to be until he comes back. This is fine guys calm the fuck down. It's gorilla rape time!

Bambi
03-22-2016, 08:36 AM
This is what happens when you get fat and out of shape.

Risky draft pick at the time. This team is burnt toast.

Red Dawg
03-22-2016, 08:37 AM
We are screwed. May as well be the season.

Eleazar
03-22-2016, 08:37 AM
At the end of the season last year we discussed this at length, after he went back to Andrews again, and I thought it was very unusual that he healed miraculously in time for the playoffs.

LoneWolf
03-22-2016, 08:39 AM
I read the article! :rolleyes:

Justin's knee was screwed up from the moment he got hurt and it took all kinds of time to try and heal but HE NEVER could do much with it the entire second half of the season. They should have scoped his knee the SECOND we lost the playoff game when he came out early and couldn't go anymore because his knee was so screwed up.

It was so obvious that it wasn't a simple sprain. THAT'S WHY YOU DO A SCOPE! NOT AN EXTREME OR DANGEROUS PROCEDURE!

Hey, Dr. Dipshit, don't you think after the playoff game that his knee was probably swollen. You can't do a knee scope on a knee with significant swelling. The Chiefs medical staff had no way of knowing that the ACL wasn't working properly without being torn and they proceeded correctly in treating this as a strain. This injury sucks and hopefully Houston is back by the start of the season, but how this was handled properly by everyone involved. It's just a fluke injury and the team will be fine.

LoneWolf
03-22-2016, 08:40 AM

Turn your rep on fuckwad. I'll make it match the color of the blood that never reaches your penis.

Eleazar
03-22-2016, 08:40 AM
Some dr on 810 AM is saying that Houston is most likely in the 6-9 month range. Burkholder apparently said Houston was through the first stage of rehab and in the middle of the process. There are 3 stages of ACL rehab.

12 months is basically a worst case scenario.

Yes, but even in a best case scenario he is missing most of training camp, perhaps the start of the season.

ChiefAshhole1056
03-22-2016, 08:42 AM
So he's been in the training room with Jamaal this past month? Yeah, sign me up for he'll be back by opening day and everyone will freak out and proclaim we should be one of the favorites in the AFC again.

Also should be a real positive for Gaines to be surrounded by the two of them during this. Both have strong and determined personalities, and it would be tough not to be influenced by it.

RunKC
03-22-2016, 08:47 AM
Good news is that Burkholder said Gaines and JC will be fine by camp.

PAChiefsGuy
03-22-2016, 08:47 AM
He's a workout warrior and a fast healer. He'll be OK... I'm not worried.

I'll get more worried if as the season gets closer they say he is behind schedule. September is a long way away guys.

BigMeatballDave
03-22-2016, 08:49 AM

Risky draft pick at the time.you're stupid as fuck. Per usual.

Lex Luthor
03-22-2016, 08:50 AM
What a terrible signing

:facepalm:

Hindsight is amazingly accurate.

O.city
Check out @jocsanddocs's Tweet: https://twitter.com/jocsanddocs/status/712280993898438657?s=09

Can someone imbed this? Apparently I'm a moron and can't figure it out

Eleazar

An ACL repair is 6-8 months until clearance for any sharp side/side movements.

ChiefAshhole1056
03-22-2016, 08:51 AM
What will be interesting though is how Andy approaches practices. Will he still let Tamba follow the same "no-practice" weeks to make sure he stays effective throughout the season? Would also allow some of the backups to get some much needed practice reps.

Also, is this maybe a tactic that should be used with JC? Maybe not entirely "no-practice", but perhaps no contact throughout the week?

pugsnotdrugs19
03-22-2016, 08:53 AM
A real swift kick to the balls to start a day. Wow.

I'd say, as mentioned earlier, he's going to the PUP to start the year. This is a complete game changer to our season in March....

Lex Luthor
03-22-2016, 08:53 AM
Pete prisCo

Basically Justin Houston played with a torn ACL in the playoffs. Tough guy.

There were idiots on this site bitching about him back then and implying that he was a pussy.

Sandy Vagina
03-22-2016, 08:54 AM
Disappointing, but what ya gonna do? Just have to hope he recovers well, and can be full-go by September. If not, then it's next man up, and have to hope Sutton doesn't go full vagina with the scheme.

No point in whining or worrying over it.

PAChiefsGuy
03-22-2016, 08:55 AM
Disappointing, but what ya gonna do? Just have to hope he recovers well, and can be full-go by September. If not, then it's next man up, and have to hope Sutton doesn't go full vagina with the scheme.

Exactly.. Football is too far away for me to worry about it right now...

Sandy Vagina
03-22-2016, 08:56 AM
Exactly.. Football is too far away for me to worry about it right now...

Unless, he is simply Dwayne Bowe-ing the Chiefs! :eek:

( i kid.. I kid... )

Eleazar
03-22-2016, 08:57 AM
It worries me a little. But, players are in better physical condition than 5 of us combined.

I would think that he could come back into the season somewhere. Also be used sparingly.
My doc made me walk on my ACL tear 2 days after he fixed it. An athlete could do the same and start rehab sooner.

I also think getting to NFL form would take less time for an athlete.

trying to be optimistic

What they should have done was shut him down at mid season last year when it was clear there was a problem, fixed it immediately, and he'd have been ready for OTAs. Now the injury may have been made worse, he didn't contribute down the stretch anyway, he had to have the repair anyway, and he might not be ready until the bye week or so.

O.city
03-22-2016, 08:59 AM
From what I've read, there's no way to tell in these situations s without a scope and testing it intraop.

Mri pretty much useless here.

TigeRRUppeRRcut
03-22-2016, 08:59 AM
I don't buy him missing the season. He didn't full on tear it or anything. Sounds like a 6 month recovery.

Agreed , they are overstating his recovery time.

BlackHelicopters
03-22-2016, 09:01 AM
God hates the Chuefs.

TigeRRUppeRRcut
03-22-2016, 09:02 AM
The ppl who think he was worth the money, look at his play before the injury in 2015. He is paid at least 25% more than he is worth. That's money we could have spent towards a reliable corner. Just saying.

loochy
03-22-2016, 09:03 AM
Check out @jocsanddocs's Tweet: https://twitter.com/jocsanddocs/status/712280993898438657?s=09

Can someone imbed this? Apparently I'm a moron and can't figure it out

derple durr

<blockquote class="twitter-tweet" data-lang="en"><p lang="en" dir="ltr"><a href="https://twitter.com/hashtag/Chiefs?src=hash">#Chiefs</a> Justin Houston: recovery is the same as if ACL was torn at this point. Expect 6-8 months</p>&mdash; The Jocs &amp; Docs Show (@jocsanddocs) <a href="https://twitter.com/jocsanddocs/status/712280993898438657">March 22, 2016</a></blockquote>
<script async src="//platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

ChiefsCountry
03-22-2016, 09:06 AM
What a terrible signing

This could go down as one of the worst contracts we have given out.

At least our schedule isn't as hard as last year, we are playing teams that this offense can win the games for us

Glad we're spending around 15% of our cap on him. What a ****ing waste.

Feel pretty good about him being back when this group is against it.

pugsnotdrugs19
03-22-2016, 09:07 AM
The ppl who think he was worth the money, look at his play before the injury in 2015. He is paid at least 25% more than he is worth. That's money we could have spent towards a reliable corner. Just saying.

JFC

TEX
03-22-2016, 09:07 AM

This.

pugsnotdrugs19
03-22-2016, 09:08 AM
For those saying Houston was a bad signing, do you think Denver should let Von Miller go? And what about Khalil Mack when his time comes? Cause that is essentially what you are saying.

Unreal retardation.

Mr_Tomahawk
03-22-2016, 09:11 AM
For those saying Houston was a bad signing, do you think Denver should let Von Miller go? And what about Khalil Mack when his time comes? Cause that is essentially what you are saying.

Unreal retardation.

We should get rid of Jamaal Charles too.

And Eric Berry had cancer...cant' have that!

All preventable!

PAChiefsGuy
03-22-2016, 09:11 AM

Unreal retardation.

Agreed. Plus it is all hindsight. You cannot predict that he would get injured like this.

pugsnotdrugs19
03-22-2016, 09:13 AM
We should get rid of Jamaal Charles too.

And Eric Berry had cancer...cant' have that!

All preventable!
Lol but really.

My money is on Houston being back with plenty of time to spare, and making any of his doubters eat crow. Can't wait.

staylor26
03-22-2016, 09:15 AM
Lol but really.

My money is on Houston being back with plenty of time to spare, and making any of his doubters eat crow. Can't wait.

I don't think he'll be back till at least a month into the season.

RunKC
03-22-2016, 09:18 AM
Explains the Massaquoi signing. Don't wanna count on Zombo too much.

pugsnotdrugs19
03-22-2016, 09:19 AM
I don't think he'll be back till at least a month into the season.

I said earlier that I'm expecting the PUP, so yeah, probably 1-2 months is my guess. By plenty of time to spare, I mean that in regard to the end of the season.

mcaj22
03-22-2016, 09:25 AM
Explains the Massaquoi signing. Don't wanna count on Zombo too much.

lol

Ming the Merciless
03-22-2016, 09:28 AM
Based on?

racism

Bambi
03-22-2016, 09:30 AM
Soren in full blown conspiracy mode.

This regime just goes from bad to worse.

A God Damn retirement center is being trotted out on the field next year.

DaneMcCloud
03-22-2016, 09:31 AM
This isn't surprising considering the number of games he misses last season due to a PCL tear but I'm glad to hear it was found and corrected.

The Chiefs were a very good football team last year without Houston so his healthy return will make them even better, whether it's in September or December.

The sky isn't falling.

staylor26
03-22-2016, 09:31 AM

Kill yourself.

O.city
03-22-2016, 09:32 AM

The all pro ilb or the olb with alot of preasures?

Hoover
03-22-2016, 09:34 AM
1. This explains a lot. Man he looked hurt in that last playoff game. He was dragging that leg around.
2. I'm not about to freak out. ACL's are common in the NFL. Hope he works out with Charles. I mean shit look at how well DJ returned and he's 34.
3. Huge opportunity for Ford. I'm one that actually thinks he needs time on the field in actual game. Your turn to shine man!
4. Tamba got paid way more than I thought, but this now explains why. I didn't really have a problem with it when it happened, and certainly don't now.
5. This does change the draft in my opinion. I'd still be looking CB in round one, but in the second with all that LB talent it would be stupid to not bite.

Bambi
03-22-2016, 09:36 AM
Kill yourself.

I'd recommend paying attention to exactly what the fuck is going on.

You might learn something.

pugsnotdrugs19
03-22-2016, 09:37 AM
This isn't surprising considering the number of games he misses last season due to a PCL tear but I'm glad to hear it was found and corrected.

The Chiefs were a very good football team last year without Houston so his healthy return will make them even better, whether it's in September or December.

The sky isn't falling.

Never actually tore anything, just a knee hyperextension. And now even, his ACL was never actually torn.

Gives us all hope for a Poe-like recovery. Could even see him making it back honestly by week 1, even though I think Reid would be cautious.

Bowser
03-22-2016, 09:38 AM

I can't put into words how glad I am over how you two dipshits will never have a chance to be the general manager of my football team.

Bambi
03-22-2016, 09:42 AM
Chiefs fans on the radio saying that Hali is better than JPP.

LMAO OMG

Red Beans
03-22-2016, 09:43 AM
I can't put into words how glad I am over how you two dipshits will never have a chance to be the general manager of my football team.

:clap:

Bowser
03-22-2016, 09:43 AM

LMAO OMG

Yeah ok, you're doing your troll thing. Move along, everyone.

Rain Man
03-22-2016, 09:45 AM

LMAO OMG

I've actually heard Broncos fans say that John Elway "led them to a Super Bowl", too. Fans are not always adept at understanding things.

Oh, and Tamba Hali has more talent in his little finger than JPP has in his ... lack of a little finger.

Eleazar
03-22-2016, 09:46 AM
Yeah ok, you're doing your troll thing. Move along, everyone.

"Guy on the radio" is his favorite way to make up something nobody is saying and say that everyone is saying it.

Meatloaf
03-22-2016, 09:49 AM
I've actually heard Broncos fans say that John Elway "led them to a Super Bowl", too. Fans are not always adept at understanding things.

Oh, and Tamba Hali has more talent in his little finger than JPP has in his ... lack of a little finger.

Damn, I shouldn't be laughing at this........but I am. Shame on you, Rain Man.

Bowser
03-22-2016, 09:55 AM

http://www.reactiongifs.us/wp-content/uploads/2013/08/picard_clapping.gif

Quesadilla Joe
03-22-2016, 09:56 AM
<blockquote class="twitter-tweet" data-lang="en"><p lang="en" dir="ltr">Speaking to people at NFL owners meetings, it&#39;s clear that Chiefs&#39; LB Justin Houston&#39;s 2016 season is in jeopardy.</p>&mdash; Adam Schefter (@AdamSchefter) <a href="https://twitter.com/AdamSchefter/status/712306419828203520">March 22, 2016</a></blockquote>

pugsnotdrugs19
03-22-2016, 09:57 AM
<blockquote class="twitter-tweet" data-lang="en"><p lang="en" dir="ltr">Speaking to people at NFL owners meetings, it&#39;s clear that Chiefs&#39; LB Justin Houston&#39;s 2016 season is in jeopardy.</p>&mdash; Adam Schefter (@AdamSchefter) <a href="https://twitter.com/AdamSchefter/status/712306419828203520">March 22, 2016</a></blockquote>

:(

O.city
03-22-2016, 09:59 AM
Because chiefs

This franchise man. This franchise.

Demonpenz
I am not worried that he won't be back, I am worried he will play like shit like he did down the stretch.

Bowser
Welp. Pass rusher in round one, corner in round two? Vice versa?

pugsnotdrugs19
03-22-2016, 10:01 AM

Bingo. The order depends on his recovery I think.

The Franchise
03-22-2016, 10:01 AM
Time for the offense to step the fuck up and carry it's weight.

loochy
03-22-2016, 10:02 AM
A real man would just accept it and play with it. He's getting paid a zillion dollars, m i rite?

BigMeatballDave
03-22-2016, 10:02 AM
What a terrible signing

Should never have given him the money, you just knew he'd turn into a pumpkin stop it, we already have one Bambi.

staylor26
03-22-2016, 10:04 AM
This ****ing team can't catch a ****ing break. Unbelievable.

Skyy God
03-22-2016, 10:05 AM
He Cakin , Patna!

Another quality contribution from Dress Up Elvis.....

FloridaMan88
03-22-2016, 10:05 AM
This franchise is so cursed it is a joke.

Houston gets tripped by his own team mate and it turns into a two year injury issue.

Discuss Thrower
03-22-2016, 10:09 AM
Maybe next year

Lzen
03-22-2016, 10:11 AM
Well, now I have a reason to drink today.

You need a reason? :hmmm:

O.city
03-22-2016, 10:12 AM
Wonder if there was something else tore up in there. 12 months seems like a long time

DaneMcCloud
03-22-2016, 10:12 AM

I'd be surprised if Dorsey reaches for a pass rusher that isn't there in round one.

And in all likelihood, a pass rusher at #28 wouldn't be an impact player, anyway.

He'll stick to his board.

DaneMcCloud
03-22-2016, 10:14 AM
Wonder if there was something else tore up in there. 12 months seems like a long time

I don't want to blame the Chiefs medical staff but it does kind of sound like a misdiagnosis.

This team continue to win without Houston.

O.city
03-22-2016, 10:16 AM
I don't want to blame the Chiefs medical staff but it does kind of sound like a misdiagnosis.

It will be tough to win without our best player, against elite teams that is.

Just seems like a bad deal all around

Bowser
03-22-2016, 10:19 AM
I'd be surprised if Dorsey reaches for a pass rusher that isn't there in round one.

And in all likelihood, a pass rusher at #28 wouldn't be an impact player, anyway.

He'll stick to his board.To that point...

Time for the offense to step the fuck up and carry it's weight.Fuller at 28? Sheppard? Then decide what's more important between a corner and a pass rusher in the second?

And let me take a second here to throw out a heart felt fuck you to the NFL for their taking our third round pick for this "tampering" horseshit.

ModSocks
03-22-2016, 10:20 AM
1. This explains a lot. Man he looked hurt in that last playoff game. He was dragging that leg around.
2. I'm not about to freak out. ACL's are common in the NFL. Hope he works out with Charles. I mean shit look at how well DJ returned and he's 34.
3. Huge opportunity for Ford. I'm one that actually thinks he needs time on the field in actual game. Your turn to shine man!
4. Tamba got paid way more than I thought, but this now explains why. I didn't really have a problem with it when it happened, and certainly don't now.
5. This does change the draft in my opinion. I'd still be looking CB in round one, but in the second with all that LB talent it would be stupid to not bite.

The thing to worry about is his significant time off. A year and a half of no football. It's going to be hard to still look like a 100 Million Dollar player after missing a season and a half of football.

The Franchise
03-22-2016, 10:20 AM
Courtney Upshaw is still out there.

ModSocks
03-22-2016, 10:21 AM
Also, i think it's now pretty clear why the Chiefs re-signed Tamba.

srvy
03-22-2016, 10:23 AM
This is really bad!

If we were the Justin Houston Chiefs. Like a team someone will step up and there is still a lot of talent on the defense.

pugsnotdrugs19
03-22-2016, 10:24 AM
Really don't know if we're a Super Bowl team without him, which makes me sick after all of the hope that I'd built up. Ford HAS to step up and be a double digit sacks type of player.

Rain Man
03-22-2016, 10:25 AM
Also, i think it's now pretty clear why the Chiefs re-signed Tamba.

I'm nodding in sudden understanding.

RunKC
03-22-2016, 10:25 AM
I wonder if this was a stem cell surgery like JC's? JC had surgery on his knee 5 months ago and they said he's doing "great" right now and will get limited work at OTA's.

It's realistic to think he could only miss the first month, but it's probably just best to PUP him and roll the 2nd half of the season.

RunKC
03-22-2016, 10:26 AM

It's not just losing Houston that worries me. It's losing both him and Smith.

O.city
03-22-2016, 10:30 AM
I wonder if this was a stem cell surgery like JC's? JC had surgery on his knee 5 months ago and they said he's doing "great" right now and will get limited work at OTA's.

It's realistic to think he could only miss the first month, but it's probably just best to PUP him and roll the 2nd half of the season.

Stem cell recoup is really interesting stuff.

Hopefully he's back soonwr than later

DJ's left nut
03-22-2016, 10:39 AM
What they should have done was shut him down at mid season last year when it was clear there was a problem, fixed it immediately, and he'd have been ready for OTAs. Now the injury may have been made worse, he didn't contribute down the stretch anyway, he had to have the repair anyway, and he might not be ready until the bye week or so.

That's remarkably easy to say with the benefit of hindsight.

But alas, you're still wrong. In real time, the SB window was wide the hell open and every image taken by the Chiefs indicated that the ACL was intact. Andrews has already looked at it and signed off on the Chiefs course of action.

There was a chance to go to the SB and had they gotten there, they absolutely could've won it. And yes, Justin Houston could easily have made the difference.

The Chiefs were absolutely correct in doing everything they could to get Houston back on the field and try to win a title with him. Alas, it didn't work out - but they had no way of knowing that at the time. The body isn't a chevy; there's no diagnostic computer.

It's football - shit happens. Time to cross our fingers and hope he heals quickly.

RunKC
03-22-2016, 10:40 AM
It's bullshit to hear that he could miss the entire season. It's ACL surgery FFS and the guy didn't even tear it.

Recovery from surgery is normally 6-8 months nowadays. 7 months from Houston's Feb. 15 surgery would be week 2 of the 2016 season. It's completelly realistic to think he could be back by October.

staylor26
03-22-2016, 10:42 AM
It's bullshit to hear that he could miss the entire season. It's ACL surgery FFS and the guy didn't even tear it.

Recovery from surgery is normally 6-8 months nowadays. 7 months from Houston's Feb. 15 surgery would be week 2 of the 2016 season. It's completelly realistic to think he could be back by October.

Yea the doom and gloom reports are strange.

DJ's left nut
03-22-2016, 10:43 AM
Never actually tore anything, just a knee hyperextension. And now even, his ACL was never actually torn.

Gives us all hope for a Poe-like recovery. Could even see him making it back honestly by week 1, even though I think Reid would be cautious.

Depends.

Does this sound like something you can 'unstretch'? Sure doesn't seem that way to me. If the ACL was intact but not functioning, what exactly can they do to make it start to function?

My guess is that one of the other tweets is correct - this should probably be looked at as an ACL reconstruction. Granted, the 'tear' was likely surgically done and thus much easier to repair, but I can't imagine there was any way to simply fix the ACL and get it working again short of cutting it clean and reconstructing it.

It sounds like trying to re-set an arm without re-breaking it. I just don't think that's a likely outcome.

pugsnotdrugs19
03-22-2016, 10:44 AM

We can only hope.

It's understandable why people panic though when guys like Schefter are reporting bad news.

We're use to this. We're the Chiefs. But it never gets easier. Can only hope Houston's strong faith will prevail.

ChiefAshhole1056
03-22-2016, 10:44 AM

That's what I'm thinking. Worse case, he starts off on pup and comes back midseason. Which actually may be the best course of action, the West is going to be wide open, and a midseason boost like that would be monumental.

O.city
03-22-2016, 10:46 AM
Depends.

Does this sound like something you can 'unstretch'? Sure doesn't seem that way to me. If the ACL was intact but not functioning, what exactly can they do to make it start to function?

My guess is that one of the other tweets is correct - this should probably be looked at as an ACL reconstruction. Granted, the 'tear' was likely surgically done and thus much easier to repair, but I can't imagine there was any way to simply fix the ACL and get it working again short of cutting it clean and reconstructing it.

It sounds like trying to re-set an arm without re-breaking it. I just don't think that's a likely outcome.

Looks like they did reconstruction. I'd imagine that's the only way to fix it.

If he's as far along as burkholder insinuated, I bet he's back sooner than later

Mr. Laz
03-22-2016, 10:46 AM
WTF?

Why would they wait so long. :banghead:

DJ's left nut
03-22-2016, 10:50 AM
WTF?

Why would they wait so long. :banghead:

Again - there's not a diagnostic computer here and the ACL surgery A) has to be scary as shit for the player and B) puts a 6 month recovery time in play.

If you're the Chiefs and Justin Houston, you let work on its own for as long as possible before you pull the trigger on a surgery. The body never 'fully' recovers from a surgery. You may get 95% of the way back or even 99% of the way back, but even a minimally invasive surgery fundamentally alters your body's makeup. That part's never going to be what it was.

That's scary as shit for a professional athlete. If you're going under the knife, you're going to make damn sure that every other possibility has been exhausted.

There are some glib motherfuckers on this board. The reasons the Chiefs tried to get him back on the field are obvious. The reasons they did everything they could to avoid surgery are obvious.

pugsnotdrugs19
03-22-2016, 10:52 AM
Looks like they did reconstruction. I'd imagine that's the only way to fix it.

If he's as far along as burkholder insinuated, I bet he's back sooner than later

What did Burkholder say?

keg in kc
03-22-2016, 10:56 AM
So my birthday sucked even more than I thought this year.

O.city
03-22-2016, 10:56 AM
https://twitter.com/nfldraftscout/status/712309420798164993

The Franchise
03-22-2016, 10:58 AM

<blockquote class="twitter-tweet" data-lang="en"><p lang="en" dir="ltr">Details on Justin Houston&#39;s injury from <a href="https://twitter.com/hashtag/Chiefs?src=hash">#Chiefs</a> head athletic trainer Rick Burkholder. <a href="https://t.co/SZLoEwPN2z">pic.twitter.com/SZLoEwPN2z</a></p>&mdash; Tom Pelissero (@TomPelissero) <a href="https://twitter.com/TomPelissero/status/712309420798164993">March 22, 2016</a></blockquote>

The Franchise
03-22-2016, 10:59 AM
Put him on PUP to start the season. It won't be as bad because Hali will at least be healthy because it's the start of the season. This is the year that Ford needs to step up anyways. You move Hali to Houston's side and keep Ford in his original spot.

staylor26
03-22-2016, 11:00 AM

Where did he insinuate how far along he was?

Mr. Laz
03-22-2016, 11:02 AM
Again - there's not a diagnostic computer here and the ACL surgery A) has to be scary as shit for the player and B) puts a 6 month recovery time in play.

If you're the Chiefs and Justin Houston, you let work on its own for as long as possible before you pull the trigger on a surgery. The body never 'fully' recovers from a surgery. You may get 95% of the way back or even 99% of the way back, but even a minimally invasive surgery fundamentally alters your body's makeup. That part's never going to be what it was.

That's scary as shit for a professional athlete. If you're going under the knife, you're going to make damn sure that every other possibility has been exhausted.

There are some glib motherfuckers on this board. The reasons the Chiefs tried to get him back on the field are obvious. The reasons they did everything they could to avoid surgery are obvious.

You don't put it off as long as possible, you time the surgery to allow you recover during the offseason.

Chiefs waited too dam long on Fisher's shoulder as well.

O.city
Where did he insinuate how far along he was?

That was from somewhere else and I couldn't find it again.

I'll look again in a minute after lunch

Quesadilla Joe
<blockquote class="twitter-tweet" data-lang="en"><p lang="en" dir="ltr">Picture in this article leads me to believe <a href="https://twitter.com/hashtag/JustinHouston?src=hash">#JustinHouston</a> ACL at least partially torn/stretched in November. <a href="https://t.co/w5SISKuWAD">https://t.co/w5SISKuWAD</a></p>&mdash; David J. Chao, MD (@ProFootballDoc) <a href="https://twitter.com/ProFootballDoc/status/712322760052121600">March 22, 2016</a></blockquote>

RunKC

6-12 months was said as what we've previously seen. Broncos CB Chris Harris tore his ACl and had surgery late January and came back fine, and he plays CB.

We'll have to see but it would be awesome if he only missed September

O.city
03-22-2016, 11:03 AM
They didn't know it needed surgery until it was scoped. There was no reason to scope it until it clearly didn't improve

Mr. Laz
03-22-2016, 11:05 AM
Chiefs' Justin Houston could miss entire season with knee injury
Eric Edholm By Eric Edholm
3 hours ago

Kansas City Chiefs head coach Andy Reid had to skip the NFL owners meetings in Florida, but he dropped a bombshell via conference call about another knee.

That would belong to Chiefs pass rusher Justin Houston, the team's franchise player last offseason who signed a six-year, $101 million contract extension, who now faces a serious rehab after what was thought to be a routine procedure.

The Chiefs announced that what was deemed to be a "scope" in February actually was to repair a torn ACL. His timetable to return was estimated between six to 12 months. That could leave the start of Houston's 2016 season in serious doubt, or even wipe it out entirely.

Chiefs head trainer Rick Burkholder said that Houston’s ACL was “not functioning” after it was examined by noted surgeon Dr. James Andrews following the knee arthroscopy. Houston missed the final five regular-season games with the knee injury, returning for the Chiefs' two playoff games but not looking his usual self.

Reid said the Chiefs are hopeful Houston won't miss the entire season “just because of his work ethic and he’s a fast healer.”

Any way you slice it this is a big blow to the Chiefs, who just re-signed Tamba Hali and spent a first-round pick on Dee Ford a few years ago but clearly would be shorthanded in the pass-rushing department without Houston's services.

T-post Tom
03-22-2016, 11:06 AM
In response to the news, John Dorsey returns to his hidden KC laboratory.

http://kelleepratt.files.wordpress.com/2012/10/young-frankenstein.jpg

And unleashes his newest creation:

http://s8.postimg.org/7t5ztyrut/Image_8069_resized.jpg

O.city
03-22-2016, 11:07 AM
6-12 months was said as what we've previously seen. Broncos CB Chris Harris tore his ACl and had surgery late January and came back fine, and he plays CB.

We'll have to see but it would be awesome if he only missed September

How long was Harris out?

DJ's left nut
03-22-2016, 11:08 AM
You don't put it off as long as possible, you time the surgery to allow you recover during the offseason.

Chiefs waited too dam long on Fisher's shoulder as well.

Again, that's easy to say once the surgery is a foregone conclusion. And it's also damn easy to say when you have no friggen idea what the Chiefs did to monitor the progress of his knee.

The Chiefs didn't blow this off here. They were working with Andrews, one of the most respected sports surgeons in the country. If he was working with them, then he was setting the timelines for recovery, progress, etc...

These weren't dipshits that were looking at this to see if surgery could be avoided. These were guys at the top of their field. And again, there's simply no predicting exactly what the human body will do. If there's a chance to avoid surgery, you absolutely wait until progress has plateaued to make that decision.

I'm sure the Chiefs looked at their $100 million player and thought "eh, we'll get around to taking a look at that knee when we get around to it..."

No, of course not. They pushed his recovery until it plateaued and once it did, they pulled the trigger. It's what any organization would've done and it's damn sure what any athlete would've preferred.

staylor26
03-22-2016, 11:09 AM
Again, that's easy to say once the surgery is a foregone conclusion. And it's also damn easy to say when you have no friggen idea what the Chiefs did to monitor the progress of his knee.

The Chiefs didn't blow this off here. They were working with Andrews, one of the most respected sports surgeons in the country. If he was working with them, then he was setting the timelines for recovery, progress, etc...

These weren't dipshits that were looking at this to see if surgery could be avoided. These were guys at the top of their field. And again, there's simply no predicting exactly what the human body will do. If there's a chance to avoid surgery, you absolutely wait until progress has plateaued to make that decision.

I'm sure the Chiefs looked at their $100 million player and thought "eh, we'll get around to taking a look at that knee when we get around to it..."

No, of course not. They pushed his recovery until it plateaued and once it did, they pulled the trigger. It's what any organization would've done and it's damn sure what any athlete would've preferred.

Dude it's Laz. He's a fucking idiot.

Mr. Laz
03-22-2016, 11:10 AM
They didn't know it needed surgery until it was scoped. There was no reason to scope it until it clearly didn't improve
He injure his knee like 4 months ago.

no way it should take this long to figure out if his knee was improving.

DJ's left nut
03-22-2016, 11:11 AM

Why didn't they just plug in the ol' OBD ii scanner and see what code it tripped? Duh...fucking idiot Chiefs. Or that pussy Houston should've just been totally fired up to have his knee reconstructed before knowing if it would heal naturally.

/Laz

O.city
03-22-2016, 11:11 AM
Dude it's Laz. He's a ****ing idiot.

His volcanic periods are legendary

Mr. Laz
03-22-2016, 11:12 AM
Why didn't they just plug in the ol' OBD ii scanner and see what code it tripped? Duh...fucking idiot Chiefs. Or that pussy Houston should've just been totally fired up to have his knee reconstructed before knowing if it would heal naturally.

/Laz
I'm a surgeon, i know these things /DJsucknut

O.city
03-22-2016, 11:12 AM

I'm no orthopedic surgeon but if James Andrews doesn't think it needed done in december, I'd probably go with that.

DJ's left nut
03-22-2016, 11:13 AM

You really are a fucking moron.

That's alright, guys - James Andrews doesn't know shit. LAZ is all over this. Get him on the phone w/ the AOSSM stat so he can tell those dipshits how long it takes for knees to recover.

Turns out this whole 'medicine is an inexact science' thing we've been working with all along is bullshit - fucking LAZ has this shit mapped out to the day.

Goddamn you're stupid.

Quesadilla Joe
03-22-2016, 11:13 AM
How long was Harris out?

He never missed a regular season game. He didn't do a whole lot during training camp though, and I think he never played in the preseason.

RunKC
03-22-2016, 11:15 AM

DJ do you think Dee Ford can play at a high level this year? 5.5 sacks in 602 snaps (equivalent to 8 games as a full starter) seems somewhat promising on tape but he needs a 2nd move.

O.city
03-22-2016, 11:15 AM
He never missed a regular season game. He didn't do a whole during training camp though, and I think he never played in the preseason.

Thanks.

Can you give us a rundown on the Harris and Von I jury/recovery time situation? When did they tear, surgery etc.

DJ's left nut
03-22-2016, 11:16 AM
I'm not a surgeon, I'll defer to James fucking Andrews and the Chiefs medical staff/DJsucknut

FYP.

I'm not the dipshit substituting my judgment for arguably the most respected ortho in the country despite an absolute lack of basic factual background regarding Houston's recovery let alone expertise in sports medicine.

Please, tell us more about sports surgery - we're all atwitter with anticipation.

O.city
03-22-2016, 11:17 AM
I dint really think Ford needs a great 2nd move. I mean yeah, it would be awesome to have ine, but with the speed, of he can just have a few show me moves like a spin, or rip and under, that should work out.

Chiefnj2
03-22-2016, 11:17 AM
NFL players receive the best orthopedic care in the world.

It's a joke to think that the team didn't do enough, etc. I am 100% certain that the team cared a great deal about its 100 million dollar investment.

We are also talking about a scope that occurred in the first week of February. KC's season ended mid January. They only "waited" 2-3 weeks for the scope.

It's unfortunate, but it is certainly not "ignoring" the condition, etc.

DJ's left nut
03-22-2016, 11:19 AM
DJ do you think Dee Ford can play at a high level this year? 5.5 sacks in 602 snaps (equivalent to 8 games as a full starter) seems somewhat promising on tape but he needs a 2nd move.

I do.

When I thought Hali was gone, I predicted 10-12 sacks for Ford. That said, I don't know if that's as possible if he's playing the strong side. He doesn't have the ability to stack and shed like Houston does. Moreover, he's just not going to be able to pin his ears back and get after the QB as often so his pass-rush productivity would have to get substantially better given that I expect he'll have fewer shots at getting after the QB.

I think he can hold down the fort if its 8 games out. Ultimately I'm as worried about Hali's ability to hold up for longer than that as I am Ford's continued growth.

The Franchise
03-22-2016, 11:21 AM
I do.

When I thought Hali was gone, I predicted 10-12 sacks for Ford. That said, I don't know if that's as possible if he's playing the strong side. He doesn't have the ability to stack and shed like Houston does. Moreover, he's just not going to be able to pin his ears back and get after the QB as often so his pass-rush productivity would have to get substantially better given that I expect he'll have fewer shots at getting after the QB.

I think he can hold down the fort if its 8 games out. Ultimately I'm as worried about Hali's ability to hold up for longer than that as I am Ford's continued growth.

Put Hali on the strong side. He can hold up a lot better against the run than Ford can.

Quesadilla Joe
03-22-2016, 11:22 AM
Thanks.

Can you give us a rundown on the Harris and Von I jury/recovery time situation? When did they tear, surgery etc.

Chris Harris got hurt in the divisional round of the playoffs and had surgery in early February. Von got hurt late in December and had surgery in early January. Both of them played week 1.

Quesadilla Joe
03-22-2016, 11:23 AM
<blockquote class="twitter-tweet" data-lang="en"><p lang="en" dir="ltr"><a href="https://twitter.com/hashtag/KCChiefs?src=hash">#KCChiefs</a> LB Justin Houston is progressing well in rehab, I&#39;m told. He&#39;s off crutches, movement in his knee, and is healing fine. Optimism.</p>&mdash; Ian Rapoport (@RapSheet) <a href="https://twitter.com/RapSheet/status/712328343300018178">March 22, 2016</a></blockquote>

O.city
03-22-2016, 11:23 AM
Chris Harris got hurt in the divisional round of the playoffs and had surgery in early February. Von got hurt late in December and had surgery in early January. Both of them played week 1.

Nice. Thanks.

I'm expecting a similar return for houston

DJ's left nut
03-22-2016, 11:24 AM
Put Hali on the strong side. He can hold up a lot better against the run than Ford can.

But can he hold his own in coverage? Hali's never been terribly strong in space. Ford's athleticism and closing speed should cover for the fact that he's a bit green.

Given the beef we have on our DL and DJ's strengths in run support, not to mention Berry, I might be willing to give up a little bit in run-support from the OLB if it strengthens the pass coverage by a similar amount.

Honestly, I might just do a lot of flipping to try to keep teams off balance.

staylor26
03-22-2016, 11:24 AM
<blockquote class="twitter-tweet" data-lang="en"><p lang="en" dir="ltr"><a href="https://twitter.com/hashtag/KCChiefs?src=hash">#KCChiefs</a> LB Justin Houston is progressing well in rehab, I&#39;m told. He&#39;s off crutches, movement in his knee, and is healing fine. Optimism.</p>&mdash; Ian Rapoport (@RapSheet) <a href="https://twitter.com/RapSheet/status/712328343300018178">March 22, 2016</a></blockquote>

Schefter can go fist himself with his doom and gloom report.

O.city
03-22-2016, 11:25 AM
Medicine is just unbelievable.

Some of the things we can do now are just incredible. Hell, just in the dental world, you guys would be amazed at some of the stuff out there. From dental implants immediately loading and healing grafts to using lasers to do root canals, there's some interesting things going on.

O.city
03-22-2016, 11:26 AM
Joe schobert, round 2?

journeyscarab
03-22-2016, 11:29 AM
So was Schefter going for click bait? Now I am getting all these messages that rehab is coming along for Houston. Jesh are these sports writers getting paid by the click now?

staylor26
03-22-2016, 11:30 AM
Joe schobert, round 2?

I really like Schobert, but he would be best inside IMO. I think Jordan Jenkins would be a better option for SOLB in round 2.

O.city
03-22-2016, 11:31 AM
I really like Schobert, but he would be best inside IMO. I think Jordan Jenkins would be a better option for SOLB in round 2.

I remember seeing him alot in Wisconsin games.

He wasn't as athletic as I'd hoped at the combine iirc, but he'd be a good versatile guy

tecumseh
03-22-2016, 11:31 AM
Better to know now than have Houston blow it out week one. Hope for the best, plan for the fist, er, worst.

Quesadilla Joe
03-22-2016, 11:32 AM
<blockquote class="twitter-tweet" data-lang="en"><p lang="en" dir="ltr">Would be surprised if <a href="https://twitter.com/hashtag/JustinHouston?src=hash">#JustinHouston</a> surgery was anything other than full ACL reconstruction. <a href="https://twitter.com/Chiefs">@Chiefs</a> <a href="https://t.co/YbaFJSJTDA">https://t.co/YbaFJSJTDA</a></p>&mdash; David J. Chao, MD (@ProFootballDoc) <a href="https://twitter.com/ProFootballDoc/status/712330772963676160">March 22, 2016</a></blockquote>

DJ's left nut
Joe schobert, round 2?

Wouldn't change my board at all.

You don't draft for a season, let alone when the possibility is maybe half that.

You use FA to fill needs and the draft to prevent them from happening in the first place. Ford is the answer to Houston's injury.

To me, pass rusher wasn't a primary need for the team and I wouldn't allow my board to get blasted on account of this. Oh sure, if someone like Leonard Floyd fell to the 2nd, I'd have to take him because the value is just too strong. But I would've done that before Houston's injury.

Besides, Schobert would be a reach anywhere before late 4, IMO. What's got him on your radar?

Discuss Thrower
Medicine is just unbelievable.

Some of the things we can do now are just incredible. Hell, just in the dental world, you guys would be amazed at some of the stuff out there. From dental implants immediately loading and healing grafts to using lasers to do root canals, there's some interesting things going on.

Any method for stopping bruxism that doesn't involve a plastic dental straightjacket?

staylor26
03-22-2016, 11:33 AM
I remember seeing him alot in Wisconsin games.

He wasn't as athletic as I'd hoped at the combine iirc, but he'd be a good versatile guy

Yea he's versatile and adds another dimension with his pass rush ability, but he's too undersized to be a full time 3-4 OLB.

On tape, I saw him run step for step with Drake from Alabama down the sideline, so I'm not as concerned with the combine #'s. He'd be a good pick for DJ's future replacement in the 3rd (if we get it back).

pugsnotdrugs19
03-22-2016, 11:34 AM
To hell with the gloom, I've never doubted Houston before and I won't now. He's as faithful a player there is in this league and I trust that his faith and determination will have him back sooner than later.

The Franchise
03-22-2016, 11:35 AM

You don't draft for a season, let alone when the possibility is maybe half that.

You use FA to fill needs and the draft to prevent them from happening in the first place. Ford is the answer to Houston's injury.

To me, pass rusher wasn't a primary need for the team and I wouldn't allow my board to get blasted on account of this. Oh sure, if someone like Leonard Floyd fell to the 2nd, I'd have to take him because the value is just too strong. But I would've done that before Houston's injury.

Besides, Schobert would be a reach anywhere before late 4, IMO. What's got him on your radar?

Yep. As of right now, without Houston, we have:

Hali
Ford
Massaquoi
Zombo

I'm sure we could bring back Moses on a 1 year deal if we needed more depth. This is Ford's chance to show that he was worth that 1st round pick.

scho63
03-22-2016, 11:36 AM
Hey, Dr. Dipshit, don't you think after the playoff game that his knee was probably swollen. You can't do a knee scope on a knee with significant swelling. The Chiefs medical staff had no way of knowing that the ACL wasn't working properly without being torn and they proceeded correctly in treating this as a strain. This injury sucks and hopefully Houston is back by the start of the season, but how this was handled properly by everyone involved. It's just a fluke injury and the team will be fine.

Just because you have blind faith, don't ignore the facts that this was NOT handled well and the Chiefs med team did screw up. He had a knee that was messed up and they initially said it was a knee bruise or strain. He was out and out and out and each time he tried to return he was worthless. He couldn't even practice. They allowed him to try to play and he was useless.

The knee should have been scoped after the first 30 days of the injury. It is a quick procedure with low risk.

Calling me Dr. Dipshit, wow class act. Are you in third grade? :rolleyes:

O.city
03-22-2016, 11:38 AM

I remember him being a good player from the Wisconsin games this year. I have a close friend that lives up therr now and has indoctrinated himself into Wisconsin football, mainly because his boss has box seats so I watched a little of them.

Then today, the chiefs writer on twitter whose name escapes me brought him up and I remembered him flashing a little.

Have no idea what round or where he's projected though, just three that out.

Chiefnj2
03-22-2016, 11:38 AM
January 31st: "Tamba, I think it's time for a change. Maybe you should explore the idea of ending your career somewhere else."

February 2nd: "Tamba, old friend, ready to sign that extension we talked about? No, no, no - it must have been a bad connection. You misheard me. Of course we want you to stay in KC. Name your price. I'll send you a blank contract and you fill in the details."

RunKC
03-22-2016, 11:39 AM

I want to see an athletic DL who can get an inside rush. Strong rotation getting that inside push would go a long way to helping us.

But we need to find another CB too

nychief
03-22-2016, 11:41 AM
Just because you have blind faith, don't ignore the facts that this was NOT handled well and the Chiefs med team did screw up. He had a knee that was messed up and they initially said it was a knee bruise or strain. He was out and out and out and each time he tried to return he was worthless. He couldn't even practice. They allowed him to try to play and he was useless.

The knee should have been scoped after the first 30 days of the injury. It is a quick procedure with low risk.

Calling me Dr. Dipshit, wow class act. Are you in third grade? :rolleyes:

Name calling aside, I think our medical staff has proven to be a good one. I mean he had a second opinion with James Andrews during the season, during the first month no less... It is a sad development. I hope we see JHOU this season.

O.city
03-22-2016, 11:42 AM
Any method for stopping bruxism that doesn't involve a plastic dental straightjacket?

Yes.

The plastic straight jacket will actually or could actually make it worse.

Basically, in a nutshell, bruxism is you muscles trying to find a comfortable stopping point for your tmj and the disc in your joint. You've gotta get said muscles to not fire and make the joint stable.

Deprogramming is usually the way to go but I don't do alot of that stuff, it gets pretty tricky.

DJ's left nut
03-22-2016, 11:42 AM
I want to see an athletic DL who can get an inside rush. Strong rotation getting that inside push would go a long way to helping us.

But we need to find another CB too

I love Bullard in that role but I'm starting to question if he has the length to play the 5-tech. I love his explosion but I think he's probably better suited as the under in a 4-3.

The draft is so deep at DL that I think CB in 1 and DL in 2 will line up extremely well for us value-wise.

O.city
03-22-2016, 11:44 AM
I love Bullard in that role but I'm starting to question if he has the length to play the 5-tech. I love his explosion but I think he's probably better suited as the under in a 4-3.

The draft is so deep at DL that I think CB in 1 and DL in 2 will line up extremely well for us value-wise.

Ultimately, that's where I'm at, unless Rankins dramatically falls to us ( that's m Wilkerson 2.0, dude is awesome) I'd take my corner and take the best dl in round 2.

What scares me from this dl class is that alot of the guys look a little run stopper, limited pass rusher ish. That's a little scary to me.

But if nkemdiche were to fall to round 2, that would be cool.

staylor26
03-22-2016, 11:45 AM

I feel the same way.

If we can come out of the first 2 rounds with CB/DL, I will feel much better about the defense without Houston to start the season.

Discuss Thrower
03-22-2016, 11:45 AM
Yes.

The plastic straight jacket will actually or could actually make it worse.

Basically, in a nutshell, bruxism is you muscles trying to find a comfortable stopping point for your tmj and the disc in your joint. You've gotta get said muscles to not fire and make the joint stable.

Deprogramming is usually the way to go but I don't do alot of that stuff, it gets pretty tricky.

Deprogramming?

O.city
03-22-2016, 11:49 AM
Deprogramming?

Basically, allowing certain teeth to hit or appear to hit that keep the big strong masticatory muscles from firing. Once deprogrammed, you can really see what's going on.

Layman's terms, you need a mouth piece for daytime and one for nighttime, then once deprogrammed you need to align the teeth to the stable spot you've created.

That's if you have tmj issues or clicking popping.

If you're just grinding at night, a mouth guard could work.

scho63
03-22-2016, 11:49 AM
Name calling aside, I think our medical staff has proven to be a good one. I mean he had a second opinion with James Andrews during the season, during the first month no less... It is a sad development. I hope we see JHOU this season.

They have been very good but every once in a while, even the good ones make a mistake or error in judgement.

Most of the NFL medical staffs have erred on the side of caution these days so I am a little surprised that when the knee was so slow to heal and respond, they didn't scope him. :hmmm:

Mojo Jojo
03-22-2016, 11:55 AM
Would you all please stop saying it was a tear. My girlfriend is in ortho...you can jack an ACL without it being a tear...it may take several MRI's to see what is going on.

RunKC
03-22-2016, 11:57 AM
I feel the same way.

If we can come out of the first 2 rounds with CB/DL, I will feel much better about the defense without Houston to start the season.

well its a need, and Dorsey doesn't draft for need, so I fully expect DL to be the first pick.
Goddamn would it be amazing if we got Vernon Butler round 1 and a good CB round 2.

Bailey, Poe, Howard and Butler all rotating would be just awesome. I think that's the best way to counter the loss of Houston.

MMXcalibur
03-22-2016, 11:57 AM
GOD-FUCKING-DAMNIT

DJ's left nut
03-22-2016, 12:01 PM
well its a need, and Dorsey doesn't draft for need, so I fully expect DL to be the first pick.
Goddamn would it be amazing if we got Vernon Butler round 1 and a good CB round 2.

Bailey, Poe, Howard and Butler all rotating would be just awesome. I think that's the best way to counter the loss of Houston.

I just feel like the drop in talent from the first to the second is much larger at CB than it is at DL.

If you're lucky, Artie Burns falls to you in the last 2nd and even that seems really unlikely. In the late first, you're almost certainly looking at Jackson or Apple; Fuller as a worst-case scenario. I think there's a clear tier there.

I think you've already hit that tier among the DL by the late 1st and it's deep enough that you're drawing from the same pool in the late 2nd.

It may be too clever by half, but I think you have to game the draft a little bit.

Eleazar
03-22-2016, 12:14 PM

The first statement is false. He might be jogging at 6 months. He is not going to be cleared for practice. Week 1 is probably not realistic.

Beef Supreme
03-22-2016, 12:16 PM
Houston, we have a problem.

Eleazar
03-22-2016, 12:16 PM
That's remarkably easy to say with the benefit of hindsight.

But alas, you're still wrong. In real time, the SB window was wide the hell open and every image taken by the Chiefs indicated that the ACL was intact. Andrews has already looked at it and signed off on the Chiefs course of action.

There was a chance to go to the SB and had they gotten there, they absolutely could've won it. And yes, Justin Houston could easily have made the difference.

The Chiefs were absolutely correct in doing everything they could to get Houston back on the field and try to win a title with him. Alas, it didn't work out - but they had no way of knowing that at the time. The body isn't a chevy; there's no diagnostic computer.

It's football - shit happens. Time to cross our fingers and hope he heals quickly.

They never said it wasn't torn. Regardless, there are partial tears which need repair as well.

The only thing we know is that the severity of the injury was consistently either misunderstood or downplayed. He was never really effective after the initial injury and he should have been shut down.

Having him on the field crippled for the second have netted us nothing in the playoffs and nothing otherwise except a more serious injury and maybe the loss of his 2016 season.

O.city
03-22-2016, 12:17 PM
The first statement is false. He might be jogging at 6 months. He is not going to be cleared for practice. Week 1 is probably not realistic.

6-8 months is about right for acl these days, 6 is on the quick side.

I'd say probably 6 to 10 is right

RunKC
03-22-2016, 12:18 PM
@RapSheet-#KCChiefs LB Justin Houston is progressing well in rehab, I'm told. He's off crutches, movement in his knee, and is healing fine. Optimism.

After first month.

ChiefAshhole1056
@RapSheet
#KCChiefs LB Justin Houston is progressing well in rehab, I'm told. He's off crutches, movement in his knee, and is healing fine. Optimism.

This is huge. If he's already off crutches we're looking at the lower end of recovery time.

ChiefAshhole1056
@RapSheet-#KCChiefs LB Justin Houston is progressing well in rehab, I'm told. He's off crutches, movement in his knee, and is healing fine. Optimism.

After first month.

Well shit.

The Franchise
03-22-2016, 12:19 PM
@RapSheet
#KCChiefs LB Justin Houston is progressing well in rehab, I'm told. He's off crutches, movement in his knee, and is healing fine. Optimism.

Hey guys....this is huge.

O.city
<blockquote class="twitter-tweet" data-lang="en"><p lang="en" dir="ltr">Details on Justin Houston&#39;s injury from <a href="https://twitter.com/hashtag/Chiefs?src=hash">#Chiefs</a> head athletic trainer Rick Burkholder. <a href="https://t.co/SZLoEwPN2z">pic.twitter.com/SZLoEwPN2z</a></p>&mdash; Tom Pelissero (@TomPelissero) <a href="https://twitter.com/TomPelissero/status/712309420798164993">March 22, 2016</a></blockquote>

Acl wasn't torn, word from the chiefs head trainer.

O.city
@RapSheet

Hey guys....this is huge.

It's also..........

Q

Buckweath
03-22-2016, 12:21 PM
Fans shouldn't be too concerned with injuries, no matter the player. I mean except for being sad that a great player gets injured in itself. In the mid/long term, it's pretty much all the same for every team as far as injuries.

You might get lucky one year but that other year, you'll have more injuries.

This being said, a good QB definitly helps to overcome the fluctuancy of injuries.

The Franchise
03-22-2016, 12:22 PM
It's also..........

Q

On purpose....you condescending asshole.

O.city
03-22-2016, 12:23 PM
On purpose....you condescending asshole.

I know, I gotta keep my rep up. Can't be getting soft

RunKC
03-22-2016, 12:30 PM
If he's already off crutches and getting movement, he's showing signs of coming back by 7-8 months.
I bet he'll be doing non-contract drills at camp. I'm gonna say He'll come back in October some time and start playing low snap counts starting off

O.city
03-22-2016, 12:36 PM
TJ carpenter going all scorched earth on twitter about how it was tore on December but the chiefs covered it up and how awful this offseason has been.

pugsnotdrugs19
03-22-2016, 12:38 PM
As long as he is back and ready to rock by November for the stretch run, I don't think anyone is going to complain. Need him when it matters most.

RealSNR
03-22-2016, 12:47 PM
@RapSheet

This is huge. If he's already off crutches we're looking at the lower end of recovery time.

Adam Schefter is a fucking dumbass, then.

pugsnotdrugs19
03-22-2016, 12:49 PM
I tend to believe Rapoport over Schefter on about anything these days.

Schefter got his Houston info from suits at the owners meetings... Rapoport likely got his info from guys within the organization.

Eleazar
03-22-2016, 12:54 PM
Acl wasn't torn, word from the chiefs head trainer.

The particulars of that seem to imply that the ACL repair was done.

O.city
03-22-2016, 12:56 PM
The particulars of that seem to imply that the ACL repair was done.

He had full acl reconstruction.

But from what I've read it wasn't torn, just not functioning properly

Eleazar
03-22-2016, 12:57 PM

After first month.

Being off crutches in 2-3 weeks is normal, and does not represent some uncharacteristically fast recovery.

Chief Northman
LOL at all the medical experts here....

No point in speculating. Chiefs have to prepare for his absence, thus the Hali contract and the depth signing of Massaquoi. Those reports from a few weeks back that Chiefs were keeping tabs on OLB prospects for the draft make a helluva lot of sense now....

Chiefs are likely praying to have those tampering allegation stripped picks back, or the draft round penalty reduced...

Consider OLB/pass rush to be a significant need now.

DaneMcCloud
TJ carpenter going all scorched earth on twitter about how it was tore on December but the chiefs covered it up and how awful this offseason has been.

I don't know who TJ Carpenter is but that's Blackbob dumb. The Chiefs don't need to "cover" anything.

And he's a complete moron for suggesting that this offseason has been anything but stellar.

Again, the Chiefs were a very good football team without Houston and will be even better in 2016, regardless of what point in the season that Houston is able to rejoin them.

O.city
Depends on the degree of movement, iirc.

DJ's left nut
03-22-2016, 12:58 PM
I don't know who TJ Carpenter is but that's Blackbob dumb. The Chiefs don't need to "cover" anything.

And he's a complete moron for suggesting that this offseason has been anything but stellar.

Again, the Chiefs were a very good football team without Houston and will be even better in 2016, regardless of what point in the season that Houston is able to rejoin them.

TJ Carpenter is blackbob dumb.

Not surprised at all that he's flipping shit.

O.city
03-22-2016, 12:59 PM

He covers the chiefs foe one of the radio stations in kc. He's kind of a weiner.

He was against Hali coming back and iirc, pretty against berry.

Dunno what else.

RunKC
03-22-2016, 01:01 PM

I expect the offense to be better and the defense to drop a little.

RunKC
03-22-2016, 01:05 PM
More info:

#Chiefs Justin Houston: quoted 12 month recovery usually only if another ligament was found to be damaged, or if cartilage damage

#Chiefs Justin Houston: ACL not torn but not function. Often tested intra-op, and if found to be loose or not taut needs to be reconstructed

#Chiefs Justin Houston: recovery is the same as if ACL was torn at this point. Expect 6-8 months

https://mobile.twitter.com/jocsanddocs

DaneMcCloud
03-22-2016, 01:29 PM
More info:

#Chiefs Justin Houston: quoted 12 month recovery usually only if another ligament was found to be damaged, or if cartilage damage

#Chiefs Justin Houston: ACL not torn but not function. Often tested intra-op, and if found to be loose or not taut needs to be reconstructed

#Chiefs Justin Houston: recovery is the same as if ACL was torn at this point. Expect 6-8 months

https://mobile.twitter.com/jocsanddocs
If true, they'll put him on IR Designated to return

pugsnotdrugs19
03-22-2016, 01:31 PM
If true, they'll put him on IR Designated to return

Or PUP. One of the two seems likely.

DaneMcCloud
03-22-2016, 01:32 PM
I expect the offense to be better and the defense to drop a little.

I think the offense will make up for the absence of Houston.

As I've said multiple times, the Chiefs would have won in NE with a healthy Maclin, Ware and West. The addition of Houston would have been nice but he is not the reason they lost.

And while the following may prove to be incorrect, I get the feeling the there's addition by subtraction in terms of Doug Pederson.

I'd rather have Chilly than Pederson any day of the week.

DaneMcCloud
03-22-2016, 01:34 PM
Or PUP. One of the two seems likely.

I'm not clear about the rules. If he can be placed on PUP, then moved to IR DTR, that's probably the move.

If not, he'll be on IR-DTR until that expires (Week 8, IIRC?).