PDA

View Full Version : Football Who will the Broncos play Opening Night?

Scooter LaCanforno
03-23-2016, 06:39 AM
Do you want it to be the Chiefs or another team?

WhawhaWhat
03-23-2016, 06:44 AM
They'll play the Patriots.

Mile High Mania
03-23-2016, 07:22 AM
Who knows, but the options are:
Kansas City, Oakland, San Diego, Houston, Indianapolis, Atlanta, Carolina, New England

I don't know if they would put the Den/KC game in week 1 because it's not a "big crowd drawing game" to kick off the season when you look at fan interest.

Houston -- that's a dark horse, if for no other reason than they are going to be projected to do great things. You have Kubes as their former coach that just won the SB against their new QB, Brock. That could have some appeal and story lines, but I just don't see it as the viewership as a whole would have a greater "don't care" factor than Den/KC.

Patriots -- the obvious 'big draw' because of the amount of love/hate that the Pats generate and it would be the AFC Title game rematch, again in Denver. There's no Brady/Peyton storyline... but, it's a great ratings option and would likely be billed as Brady vs Miller.

Panthers -- the SB was on a neutral field and the Panthers took a big loss. Would this carry more ad dollars than New England? I think it's rare (would have to look) that the two teams playing in the SB face each other the next season. Not uncommon, but rare in the sense that the SB winning team would host the team they beat the following season.

If I were to wager a guess... I think it would be the Panthers, with the NFL hoping that the Panthers can 'rebound' by beating Denver in Denver and setting the tone for a new story line in 2016 that the Panthers are reborn and on a new mission to put 2015 behind them. And, for the 'tinfoil hat' crowd, this would be Denver's price to pay for being handed a SB ... getting smacked at home against the team you just beat for the title.

I think Carolina is the lead horse here, followed by New England.

thabear04
03-23-2016, 07:34 AM
Kansas City, Oakland, San Diego, Houston, Indianapolis, Atlanta, Carolina, New England

I don't know if they would put the Den/KC game in week 1 because it's not a "big crowd drawing game" to kick off the season when you look at fan interest.

Houston -- that's a dark horse, if for no other reason than they are going to be projected to do great things. You have Kubes as their former coach that just won the SB against their new QB, Brock. That could have some appeal and story lines, but I just don't see it as the viewership as a whole would have a greater "don't care" factor than Den/KC.

Patriots -- the obvious 'big draw' because of the amount of love/hate that the Pats generate and it would be the AFC Title game rematch, again in Denver. There's no Brady/Peyton storyline... but, it's a great ratings option and would likely be billed as Brady vs Miller.

Panthers -- the SB was on a neutral field and the Panthers took a big loss. Would this carry more ad dollars than New England? I think it's rare (would have to look) that the two teams playing in the SB face each other the next season. Not uncommon, but rare in the sense that the SB winning team would host the team they beat the following season.

If I were to wager a guess... I think it would be the Panthers, with the NFL hoping that the Panthers can 'rebound' by beating Denver in Denver and setting the tone for a new story line in 2016 that the Panthers are reborn and on a new mission to put 2015 behind them. And, for the 'tinfoil hat' crowd, this would be Denver's price to pay for being handed a SB ... getting smacked at home against the team you just beat for the title.

Think it might be Carolina.

Dave Lane
03-23-2016, 07:46 AM

Well articulated. Makes perfect sense and I do think it would be the most intriguing match up.

Red Dawg
03-23-2016, 07:52 AM
I don't think there is any good match up for them really. Carolina is in the NFC so it affects nothing. If Brady is suspended then that will blow ass watching Jimmy and Sanchez.

I hope for it's KC or the Steelers. Would be more interesting anyway.

Bowser
03-23-2016, 08:17 AM
The Broncos are going to take on your mom. Smart money is on your mom winning that matchup easily.

Kman34
03-23-2016, 08:20 AM
The Broncos are going to take on your mom. Smart money is on your mom winning that matchup easily.

ROFLROFL

Wildcat2005
03-23-2016, 08:30 AM
Opening night will have a huge draw already just because it is the first game of the season on prime time, as well as featuring the reigning champ

The Patriots-Broncos games always draw great ratings
The "Super bowl rematch" will draw great ratings as well

I doubt they schedule either of those teams against the Broncos since my guess is they would rather save those matchups
In terms of ratings it would be a waste to use up a guaranteed ratings matchup on a night that would already draw a bunch of views regardless of the opponent

They also don't want to schedule a matchup that could result in a blowout

My guess is it is going to come down to the Chiefs, Raiders, and Texans
With the Texans being the one I would think to be the most likely

I don't think the Texans draw a ton of interest on a national level, but Brock returning to face his former team would add a bit of intrigue to this matchup

TEX
03-23-2016, 08:39 AM

I think you're right. IF Brady is not suspended, I'd bet it's the Pats.

CrossCheck
03-23-2016, 08:41 AM
Whoever it is.....Broncos 0-1

Mile High Mania
03-23-2016, 10:42 AM
I haven't paid much attention to NFL news and notes lately, so I'll have to go look as to why Brady might be suspended.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/National_Football_League_Kickoff_game

That's a listing of the league opening games for the last many years. They definitely want a playoff rematch from the prior season, if possible.

They're not afraid to go big game on opening night... there's just no way, in my opinion, that it would be anyone other than the 4 I listed. I could see an argument for KC, but I think it's a longshot. It certainly will not be the Raiders, Colts or Falcons ... those don't scream 'must see tv', not for that grand stage with the theater around it now.

MMXcalibur
03-23-2016, 11:58 AM
Denver should play on the road.

Shaid
03-23-2016, 12:14 PM
It'll be Carolina. We had a Superbowl rematch a couple years ago on opening day, so in the rare opportunity that they get to get a rematch in, I absolutely see them taking it. New England is second most likely and then KC. It'll be Carolina though.

vailpass
03-23-2016, 12:51 PM
Opening night will have a huge draw already just because it is the first game of the season on prime time, as well as featuring the reigning champ

The Patriots-Broncos games always draw great ratings
The "Super bowl rematch" will draw great ratings as well

I doubt they schedule either of those teams against the Broncos since my guess is they would rather save those matchups
In terms of ratings it would be a waste to use up a guaranteed ratings matchup on a night that would already draw a bunch of views regardless of the opponent

They also don't want to schedule a matchup that could result in a blowout

My guess is it is going to come down to the Chiefs, Raiders, and Texans
With the Texans being the one I would think to be the most likely

I don't think the Texans draw a ton of interest on a national level, but Brock returning to face his former team would add a bit of intrigue to this matchup

That's the one I want (Houston ). I think it would draw plenty of interest once the hype machine kicks in.

BleedingRed
03-23-2016, 01:20 PM
Texans...... Brock Leaving is the key to this matchup being watched. Think about all the networks beefing this thing up to be a grudge match of sorts. And if Brock goes out there and Texans have a convincing WIN, it becomes instant story line "John Elway Fucked Up"

Garcia Bronco
03-23-2016, 01:22 PM
I am not sure we'll be the opening act

New World Order
03-23-2016, 02:28 PM

Good write up. It will be Carolina or NE

Why Not?
03-23-2016, 03:48 PM
I am not sure we'll be the opening act

Haven't watched much NFL over the past few years, huh?

tecumseh
03-23-2016, 04:23 PM
They should play Cleveland on the road. I won't watch...much.