PDA

View Full Version : OLB Jaylon Smith

Chief Roundup
03-29-2016, 10:45 AM
So curious where do you all think that Jaylon Smith will actually be drafted?

O.city
03-29-2016, 10:55 AM
I think he's an ilb at the nfl level.

Not sure where drafted. He's supposed to have his knee checked again in April iirc

Mr. Laz
03-29-2016, 11:07 AM
last i heard he was probably out for another year

all depends on medical

I wouldn't think that he would go before the 4th if he is out for a season.

O.city
03-29-2016, 11:09 AM
last i heard he was probably out for another year

all depends on medical

I wouldn't think that he would go before the 4th if he is out for a season.

Yeah, if it's nerve damage like Lattimore, I wouldn't be surprised if he doesn't get drafted.

ChiefAshhole1056
03-29-2016, 11:29 AM
I honestly am starting to think he could go sometime day 2. He is just way too talented to let slip much farther. We have people here more than willing to let Paxton sit for 2-3 years because of what it would mean to the team down the road, I think Jaylon is in that same boat.

I understand the positional value difference, but Jaylon was a top 5 pick at ILB before his injury. He's a special player that you risk the 1 or 2 year hiatus because of the return you'll get whenever he's healthy.

O.city
03-29-2016, 11:31 AM
I honestly am starting to think he could go sometime day 2. He is just way too talented to let slip much farther. We have people here more than willing to let Paxton sit for 2-3 years because of what it would mean to the team down the road, I think Jaylon is in that same boat.

I understand the positional value difference, but Jaylon was a top 5 pick at ILB before his injury. He's a special player that you risk the 1 or 2 year hiatus because of the return you'll get whenever he's healthy.

Problem is, he may never get back to being that player or "healthy".

If he's got nerve damage that is.

Mr. Laz
03-29-2016, 11:38 AM
Even if he comes back immediately, how long is that knee going to last now that it's been hurt?

O.city
03-29-2016, 11:41 AM
Even if he comes back immediately, how long is that knee going to last now that it's been hurt?

If he is able to play that fast, I'd say it wouldn't be a longterm issue, just a simple ACL recovery etc.

ChiefAshhole1056
03-29-2016, 11:45 AM
Lattimore received nerve issues from two devastating knee injuries though, didnt he? I may be completely wrong but I think Jaylon only had one really bad one.

I'd put him on the Mcgahee recovery path more than Lattimore's but I may just be optimistic here.

O.city
03-29-2016, 11:46 AM
Lattimore received nerve issues from two devastating knee injuries though, didnt he? I may be completely wrong but I think Jaylon only had one really bad one.

I'd put him on the Mcgahee recovery path more than Lattimore's but I may just be optimistic here.

Nerve damage is nerve damage.

ChiefAshhole1056
03-29-2016, 11:50 AM
Nerve damage is nerve damage.

Has there been confirmed nerve damage though? Or has it been mostly "potential" nerve damage?

kccrow
03-29-2016, 12:39 PM
I'd say 5th round if he's only out for the year. If the concerns over his knee are actually on par with a potential Lattimore, he won't even get drafted.

O.city
03-29-2016, 01:20 PM
Man though, if he checks out and it's just a run of the mill return with no nerve stuff, I'd look hard in the 4th.

OldSchool
03-29-2016, 04:34 PM
He completely destroyed that knee, he's done, IMO. I hope he manages to return, but from all of the reports, it doesn't look good for him at all.

Sully
03-29-2016, 04:57 PM
I'm no doctor.

BossChief
04-05-2016, 04:48 PM
If no nerve damage, a smart team will take him in the second or third.

If the nerves are damaged, anytime after the 4th...personally I'd love to get him in the late 4th round as a flyer.

Let him sit on a cheap deal with our training staff and be ready to take over when DJ hangs em up.

Perfect situation for him, IMO.

Chief Northman
04-05-2016, 04:57 PM
If no nerve damage, a smart team will take him in the second or third.

If the nerves are damaged, anytime after the 4th...personally I'd love to get him in the late 4th round as a flyer.

Let him sit on a cheap deal with our training staff and be ready to take over when DJ hangs em up.

Perfect situation for him, IMO.

I'm not trying to come off as a prick here, so bear with me:

Why do you cite specific rounds as the benchmark for when or where Smith will get drafted? The nature of his injury aside, what all teams will be asking is if he can make a 100% full recovery, even if that means a season of rehab. If a team is fully confident in his recovery and that he can play at the level he was prior to injury then I think this guy goes in the first round. A simple quote from Dorsey a couple years ago regarding the draft said something along the lines of (paraphrasing) "the draft is for the future and that is why you rarely go wrong with taking the best player available. If you rely on the draft to fill needs then you are doing a disservice to the overall talent make up of a team."

BossChief
04-05-2016, 05:28 PM
You only get a draft pick for 4 years.

If you draft him and he needs to sit for 1 of those, you lose 25% of his value right there.

Even if you are 100% positive that he will return physically from the injury...there is no telling that he would return to 100% mentally.

There is a lot of risk involved in making him your pick and this first round has a lot of star power on defense that doesn't hold the same risk.

The only way I'd take him in the first is if he could go year one...even if he has to start out on pup.

And I'm a gambler by nature.

Chief Northman
04-05-2016, 06:46 PM
You only get a draft pick for 4 years.

If you draft him and he needs to sit for 1 of those, you lose 25% of his value right there.

Even if you are 100% positive that he will return physically from the injury...there is no telling that he would return to 100% mentally.

There is a lot of risk involved in making him your pick and this first round has a lot of star power on defense that doesn't hold the same risk.

The only way I'd take him in the first is if he could go year one...even if he has to start out on pup.

And I'm a gambler by nature.

That's fair.

My fixation with Smith is that he is top five talent not only in this draft but in most. He would also figure to be an heir apparent to Derrick Johnson. If he checks out medically and lives up to his talent projection, he could very well be the prospect 29 other teams lament over not taking when they had a chance.

I totally get why this must be an excruciating decision for front office staffs of teams. Quite the dilemma....

Sanka
04-08-2016, 10:10 PM
Claims he is leg pressing 600lbs and squatting over 400lbs.

http://bleacherreport.com/articles/2629186-notre-dame-pro-day-2016-recap-results-for-jaylon-smith-will-fuller-and-more

The Franchise
04-15-2016, 11:57 AM
Jaylon Smith - LB - Player
NFL Network's Ian Rapoport reports Notre Dame LB Jaylon Smith (ACL, LCL) is not expected to play at all in 2016.

He attended the Combine medical re-check this week in Indianapolis and obviously the results weren't encouraging. Smith was once considered a top-five pick but teams aren't going to risk that now that he won't be available for 2016. His stock is tumbling heading into draft weekend.
Source: Ian Rapoport on Twitter Apr 15 - 1:20 PM

The Franchise
04-15-2016, 11:58 AM
Take him in the 5th and redshirt him.

DaneMcCloud
04-18-2016, 10:50 PM
<blockquote class="twitter-tweet" data-lang="en"><p lang="en" dir="ltr">After medical rechecks, Notre Dame&#39;s Jaylon Smith is not expected to play in 2016 and teams are unsure when he will play again, per sources.</p>&mdash; Adam Schefter (@AdamSchefter) <a href="https://twitter.com/AdamSchefter/status/722203004590403584">April 18, 2016</a></blockquote> <script async src="//platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

DaneMcCloud
04-18-2016, 10:50 PM
Sorry, Pest.

The Franchise
04-18-2016, 10:54 PM
I fucking hate Ohio State even more now.

I'd still spend a 6th on him.

DaneMcCloud
04-18-2016, 11:00 PM
I fucking hate Ohio State even more now.

I'd still spend a 6th on him.

With the abundance of Comp Picks next year, I wouldn't be upset if they used a 6th on him.

I wouldn't expect him to return to full strength but it would beat trying to sign him as a UDFA.

For the record, Myles Jack didn't have a clean re-check, either.

DJ's left nut
04-19-2016, 10:04 AM
With the abundance of Comp Picks next year, I wouldn't be upset if they used a 6th on him.

I wouldn't expect him to return to full strength but it would beat trying to sign him as a UDFA.

For the record, Myles Jack didn't have a clean re-check, either.

I saw that.

The two best LBs in this draft both have top 10, even top 5 talent...and could both drop like a rock. Suddenly it's possible that Jack could fall to the last 1st (though damn unlikely).

O.city
04-19-2016, 10:08 AM
If Jacks there at our pick I'd be interested. But I wonder, what's he playing in a 34?

O.city
04-19-2016, 10:08 AM
And Jaylon smith next to dj would be awesomw. Sucks for that guy