PDA

View Full Version : Misc What are your obligations if you post bail for a family member?

Stewie
03-29-2016, 07:35 PM
My nephew is going through a nasty divorce. She has the house, kids, money (of course) and he's in jail for "battery" since he grabbed her arm. Her attorney imposed a protection order at the start and they're taking it to the hilt. My nephew wouldn't hurt a fly but he's stuck with no money and misses his kids every day.

If I post bail what are my obligations?

rico
03-29-2016, 07:38 PM
My nephew is going through a nasty divorce. She has the house, kids, money (of course) and he's in jail for "battery" since he grabbed her arm. Her attorney imposed a protection order at the start and they're taking it to the hilt. My nephew wouldn't hurt a fly but he's stuck with no money and misses his kids every day.

If I post bail what are my obligations?

That he stays away from her while the future legal proceedings take place and does not give into any potential manipulation tactics that she will likely try to use on him.

ModSocks
03-29-2016, 07:38 PM
Damn. Bummer. Whatever happens, GL.

SAUTO
03-29-2016, 07:41 PM

If I post bail what are my obligations? let him sit there. They usually lower bail after a couple days, most times they will just o.r. Bond you or at least that's how we used to play that game.

Gotta ask for it though.

How long has he been in jail?

Buehler445
03-29-2016, 07:43 PM
Damn. Bummer. Whatever happens, GL.

All this. I have nothing else to contribute

ModSocks
03-29-2016, 07:47 PM
All this. I have nothing else to contribute

I feel like i should have some advice on this, as i've seen it happen to numerous people around me, but i have never dealt with the bail process, and thus have nothing to contribute as well.

But, best wishes to his nephew because life must be hitting him hard right now. It'll work out. Always does.

rico
03-29-2016, 07:47 PM
Wait, obligations or conditions? I think I responded with the personal conditions I would have for him if I were to bail him out.

Stewie
03-29-2016, 07:48 PM
He's been in jail for two weeks.

He has no money.

My original question was... "If I post bail what are my obligations?"

I want to help my nephew out.

Bugeater
03-29-2016, 07:53 PM
While I'm no lawyer and I've never had to deal with this personally it's always been my understanding that he has to show up for his court date or you lose the money.

DaFace
03-29-2016, 07:55 PM
While I'm no lawyer and I've never had to deal with this personally it's always been my understanding that he has to show up for his court date or you lose the money.

Yeah, I'm not all that familiar with the process either, but AFAIK that's all there is to it. As long as you trust him to not get into any more trouble and show up for the court date, you'll get your money back.

If he ends up running for some reason, you're screwed.

stevieray
03-29-2016, 07:56 PM

He has no money.

I want to help my nephew out.

You confident he'll show up for the court date?

If so, get him out pronto.

Good on you, Stewie.

rico
03-29-2016, 07:58 PM
You probably are already well aware of this, but to bail him out, you are usually only obligated to pay 10% of what the bond is set at.

alpha_omega
03-29-2016, 08:00 PM
I have no useful contribution, but after reading the responses I am wondering....how much is the bail? That would help us quantify the risk for you.

Third Eye
03-29-2016, 08:00 PM

Could be totally wrong about this, but I think you're obligated for more than just what you put up. I was under the understanding that Bond is typically like 10% of the total you'd be responsible for if he absconds.

rico
03-29-2016, 08:01 PM
Yeah, I'm not all that familiar with the process either, but AFAIK that's all there is to it. As long as you trust him to not get into any more trouble and show up for the court date, you'll get your money back.

If he ends up running for some reason, you're screwed.

I didn't realize this... I didn't realize you could get your money back for this...even if he were found guilty, he would get his money back?? Hmm...this would have been helpful if I would have known this 10 years ago.

Mr. Laz
03-29-2016, 08:06 PM
If he runs, you lose the money.

If you used a bail bondsmen to pay the bail(10% from you) then i believe you lose all your money AND are on the hook for the 90% that the bail bondsman paid.

Bugeater
03-29-2016, 08:07 PM
Could be totally wrong about this, but I think you're obligated for more than just what you put up. I was under the understanding that Bond is typically like 10% of the total you'd be responsible for if he absconds.
That very well may be. Maybe one of the CP criminals will chime in and clear it up. There has to be somebody here that has jumped bail before.

Jewish Rabbi
03-29-2016, 08:12 PM
That very well may be. Maybe one of the CP criminals will chime in and clear it up. There has to be somebody here that has jumped bail before.

If only Joey didn't get banned.

SAUTO
03-29-2016, 08:15 PM
What's his bond?

He should see the judge again and ask for a bond reduction for hardship.

Third Eye
03-29-2016, 08:15 PM

For some reason I feel MTG#10 probably has some experience in this regards.

Bugeater
03-29-2016, 08:18 PM
If only Joey didn't get banned.
He's not banned...he's in jail.

Either way he's not one goddamned bit of help right now. :cuss:

ThaVirus
03-29-2016, 08:20 PM
How do you spend 2+ weeks behind bars for grabbing a girl's arm?

SAUTO
03-29-2016, 08:20 PM

This

DaFace
03-29-2016, 08:21 PM

Again, I don't know this stuff well by any means, but it's important to distinguish between "bail" and a "bail bond." My understanding is that "posting bail" is simply paying the full amount as insurance that the defendant will show up to the court date. Assuming he does, you get it all back.

A "bail bond" is retaining a third-party who will put up the full amount for you in exchange for a fee (such as your 10% example) plus some sort of collateral (like a car). They keep the fee regardless, and if you don't show up, they'll come after the collateral as well.

So, let's say bail is set by the judge at $5,000, Stewie could fork over the entire $5k, and assuming his nephew doesn't run, he'll get his entire $5k back. Alternatively, he could retain a bondsman, pay $500 and offer up a car as collateral. Assuming his nephew shows up, Stewie is then out the $500, but that's it.

But definitely look into this in detail before making any final decisions. I THINK I'm on the right track but could be wrong.

ThaVirus
03-29-2016, 08:23 PM
Why are you so well-versed in the penal system, DaFace? Shady past we don't know about??

DaFace
03-29-2016, 08:25 PM
Why are you so well-versed in the penal system, DaFace? Shady past we don't know about??

Back in my college days, I fixed computers for a living, and one of my clients was a bail bondsman. I asked him how it all worked at one point in time.

But it's been over 10 years at this point, and I don't recall the details very well.

Also, I know how to use Google.

Third Eye
03-29-2016, 08:25 PM
Again, I don't know this stuff well by any means, but it's important to distinguish between "bail" and a "bail bond." My understanding is that "posting bail" is simply paying the full amount as insurance that the defendant will show up to the court date. Assuming he does, you get it all back.

A "bail bond" is retaining a third-party who will put up the full amount for you in exchange for a fee (such as your 10% example) plus some sort of collateral (like a car). They keep the fee regardless, and if you don't show up, they'll come after the collateral as well.

So, let's say bail is set by the judge at $5,000, Stewie could fork over the entire $5k, and assuming his nephew doesn't run, he'll get his entire $5k back. Alternatively, he could retain a bondsman, pay $500 and offer up a car as collateral. Assuming his nephew shows up, Stewie is then out the $500, but that's it.

But definitely look into this in detail before making any final decisions. I THINK I'm on the right track but could be wrong.

Doing some cursory Google searching, I think you're pretty much correct. I was conflating two different concepts.

Eleazar
03-29-2016, 08:27 PM
Paging banyon

Chiefaholic
03-29-2016, 08:29 PM
I bailed out a friend a few years back who used a bondsman (I gave $250). After his court date, I got back all of my cash.

Bugeater
03-29-2016, 08:30 PM
Violation of a protection order?

DaFace
03-29-2016, 08:31 PM
Violation of a protection order?

I'm guessing the girl said it was a lot more than that.

ThaVirus
03-29-2016, 08:33 PM
I've heard if cops respond to a domestic violence call they have to take someone to jail. Is that true?

Sounds like bullshit.

Chiefshrink
03-29-2016, 08:42 PM

Look at the BS crap that Trump's campaign mgr. is going through for grabbing a reporter's arm away from Trump. Look at the vid and tell me where the battery is involved ?:rolleyes:

SAUTO

Pretty sure you are spot on

SAUTO
I bailed out a friend a few years back who used a bondsman (I gave $250). After his court date, I got back all of my cash.

How did the bondsman make any money?

Bugeater
03-29-2016, 08:47 PM
Look at the BS crap that Trump's campaign mgr. is going through for grabbing a reporter's arm away from Trump. Look at the vid and tell me where the battery is involved ?:rolleyes:
Shut the fuck up with that shit.

LiveSteam
03-29-2016, 09:23 PM
Shut the fuck up with that shit.

You seem.nice. have we ever met?

alanm
03-29-2016, 09:25 PM

He has no money.

I want to help my nephew out.This is just my opinion mind you. But two weeks for grabbing his wifes arm seems a little excessive.

alanm
03-29-2016, 09:35 PM
Violation of a protection order?Even still it seems excessive.

kccrow
03-29-2016, 09:56 PM
When you post the bond you are giving the court a promise that he'll show up for his court appointment. If he doesn't you lose your money and he's going to have a warrant for his arrest. If he shows up, you'll get your money back. I've posted it a couple times, but never had someone not show up. If he didn't he'd have more problems to worry about than the police.

Fat Elvis
03-29-2016, 10:11 PM
I've heard if cops respond to a domestic violence call they have to take someone to jail. Is that true?

Sounds like bullshit.

Pretty much. If domestic violence has escalated to the point where police are called, then someone has to go, if for no other reason than to diffuse the situation until cooler heads can prevail. The police would be royally screwed if they show up for a domestic dispute call, do nothing, and then something tragic happens. I think it is as much of a concern over liability as anything.

eDave
03-29-2016, 10:32 PM
Pretty much. If domestic violence has escalated to the point where police are called, then someone has to go, if for no other reason than to diffuse the situation until cooler heads can prevail. The police would be royally screwed if they show up for a domestic dispute call, do nothing, and then something tragic happens. I think it is as much of a concern over liability as anything.

Not true. I've been involved in two. Cops came, asked if either wanted to press charges. We said no. Cops left.

'Hamas' Jenkins
03-29-2016, 10:41 PM
He's not banned...he's in jail.

Either way he's not one goddamned bit of help right now. :cuss:

Crank or heroin?

Priest31kc
03-29-2016, 10:53 PM

I'm a bail bond agent here in Missouri and this is correct.

Depending on the county the warrant is out of and the charge, it'll either be a "cash bond" which is the first one described, and/or a "surety bond", which is where you use a bondsman. If it's a cash or surety and he can't pay the whole amount of the bond and needs to use a bondsman, Stewie will be co-signing for his friend, so he'll be responsible for his friend going to court and paying off the premium (10% of the bond).

If his friend fails to appear, a warrant will be out for his friends' arrest and the bondsman can go after whatever collateral was put up. If the police or bondsman can't find your friend before the bond forfeiture hearing (and no continuance is allowed), the bondsman will owe the entire bond to the court, so he can then sue Stewie and his friend for that money.

TribalElder
03-29-2016, 11:55 PM
Petition the court to release him on an OR bond for hardship purposes aka can't work etc

Cosign a bond and be at the mercy of the bondsman. Bail bondsman are typically the crookedest fucks on the planet and will do dastardly shit to get thier money.

Put your money up and hope he goes to jail

Put money on his books so he can have snacks while in jail.

Convince his ex to drop the charges.

Bonding him out to see the kids means mixing it up with the woman where the kids are staying, bad idea I'm guessing.

TribalElder
03-29-2016, 11:57 PM
No offense there priest31kc on my opinion of bondsmen

Priest31kc
03-30-2016, 07:20 AM
No offense there priest31kc on my opinion of bondsmen

None taken man, I totally agree with you lol. Alot of them can be greedy assholes.

Amnorix
03-30-2016, 07:35 AM

I am **NOT** a criminal law attorney, but this is my understanding as well.

scho63
03-30-2016, 08:46 AM

YOU ARE CORRECT SIR! :toast:

MikeMaslowski
03-30-2016, 09:17 AM
http://honolulumagazine-images.dashdigital.com/images/HN/HN92004/092004%20hi_res11180308_7.jpg

WilliamTheIrish
03-30-2016, 10:02 AM
Stewie, stop being a dumb**** and call a bondsman.

DaFace is on the right track. But call a bondsman, instead of listening to "well, I knew a guy once", anectodal stories.

Eleazar
03-30-2016, 10:25 AM
To me this is like loaning a friend money. Evaluate it like a gift and don't expect to get it back. Then you won't be disappointed or the relationship changed if you never see it again.

As angelic of a person as you may consider him to be, he is dead broke and sitting in a jail cell. Not exactly a low-risk borrower.

Demonpenz
03-30-2016, 06:42 PM
Tell Ike I am a fan.

displacedinMN
03-30-2016, 06:52 PM
I would say if you post bail, you have the obligation to stop him from making this worse.

He needs to keep his head out of his ass and stay away from everyone that can put him back into jail.

Then, he is now your indentured servant until he gets back on his feet.

Pablo
03-30-2016, 06:57 PM
Did he lose his third shift gig at the Ford plant too?

Have to consider how he's gonna pay you back here.

Buzz
03-30-2016, 07:23 PM
Why cant you loan him the money and let him get his own bail bondsman, that way you are not on the hook?

Fish
03-30-2016, 07:25 PM
You should be allowed to shackle one of those big cannonballs to his leg at the least...