PDA

View Full Version : Movies and TV Man Arrested for Overdue 'Freddy Got Fingered' Video Rental From 2002

Deberg_1990
03-30-2016, 08:02 PM
heh, how did CP miss this story from last week?

http://www.nbcnews.com/news/weird-news/man-arrested-overdue-freddy-got-fingered-video-rental-2002-n545366

Like the rest of America, James Meyers Jr. had forgotten about the 2001 Tom Green flick "Freddy Got Fingered" — a movie so bad that Roger Ebert likened it to a "vomitorium" in his zero-star review.

But memories of the stomach-churning comedy came flooding back to the North Carolina dad this week when he was unexpectedly busted for failing to return a VHS rental to a local video store — way back in 2002.

That movie, Meyers said, was "Freddy Got Fingered."

"I don't remember ever owning it, renting it, or watching it," he told NBC News. "Really, everything from more than 10 years ago is a blur."

The Concord Police Department fingered Meyers after stopping him for a broken brake light while driving his 10-year-old daughter to school. It was then that cops discovered there was a warrant out for his arrest for failing to return the video.

Meyers, a 37-year-old caterer and D.J., said he had no clue what was going on when the police officer told him to get out of the car. Even during previous unrelated court hearings and other traffic stops, he never got any inkling he was wanted for failing to return a movie.

Related: U.S. Marshals Arrest Houston Man for 1987 Student Loan Debt

The officer didn't arrest Meyers at the scene, but had him come down to the station to be served with the warrant. When he showed up, he was handcuffed at the magistrate's office — standard procedure, Concord police said in a news release.

Meyers was ordered to appear in court on April 27 for failure to return rental property, a misdemeanor.

If the case isn't dismissed, his lawyer Adam Seifer said Meyers would face having a criminal record. But that's not likely because prosecutors would have to prove Meyers deliberately held onto the movie for 14 years, he said.

Plus, the rental store, called J&J's Video, is no longer in business.

Meyers said police should be going after real criminals, not him.

"They're not here catching heroin dealers," he said. "They're chasing people for movie rentals from places that don't even exist anymore. That blows my mind."

Green, the star of the movie Meyers rented, also expressed his shock at the arrest, tweeting this week that "I just saw this and I am struggling to believe it is real."

The universally panned "Freddy Got Fingered," about a wannabe cartoonist who lies about his brother being sexually molested by their father, earned several Razzies — awarded to Hollywood's biggest bombs of the year — in 2002. Green took the "honor" in stride, becoming the first winner to accept a worst actor award in person.

Ebert, the venerated film critic who died in 2013, said in his scathing review: "This movie doesn't scrape the bottom of the barrel. This movie isn't the bottom of the barrel. ... This movie doesn't deserve to be mentioned in the same sentence with barrels."

But Meyers said he watched "Freddy Got Fingered" on Wednesday and gave it two thumbs up.

"I thought it was great. It was hilarious and I was laughing all the time," he said.

As an added bonus, Meyers said he got an unexpected phone call from Green while his story was blowing up on social media. He said Green, currently on tour in Australia, ended up recreating the scene from the movie where Freddy plays a keyboard that allows him to eat sausages at the same time, singing, "Daddy, would you like some sausage?"

"We both laughed hysterically," Meyers said.

Green also offered to help with legal fees, the New York TImes reported.

Meyers was floored by the call. "I almost died," he told The Times.

RealSNR
03-30-2016, 08:06 PM
Freddy Got Fingered > a Deberg thread

Rasputin
03-30-2016, 08:10 PM
Throw the book at him.

Should rot in jail.

Thief.

Jewish Rabbi
03-30-2016, 08:12 PM
I used to love that movie as a teenager. I watched it a few years ago and didn't make it halfway through.

SAUTO
03-30-2016, 08:12 PM
This happened days ago.

Tribal warfare used to make you guys look like slugs

Rain Man
03-30-2016, 08:13 PM
He should have been arrested for renting Freddie Got Fingered in the first place.

Rasputin
03-30-2016, 08:13 PM
<iframe width="784" height="441" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/2kQ2n65ZctQ" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Pasta Little Brioni
03-30-2016, 09:14 PM
Awesome movie, shit thread

LoneWolf
03-30-2016, 09:27 PM
If he goes to prison, he will be singing a song from the movie that sent him there.
https://media4.giphy.com/media/mPs0V5innosrS/200_s.gif

JohnnyHammersticks
03-30-2016, 09:41 PM
America. Land of the Free.

That being said, we can't have dangerous criminals like this roaming the streets.

Eleazar
03-30-2016, 10:24 PM
Freddy Got Fingered > a Deberg thread

Wow. Hmm. I'm actually not sure.

L.A. Chieffan
03-30-2016, 10:37 PM
We're talking 40 million deutschmark here Bob!

Movies a classic

Why Not?
03-30-2016, 10:43 PM
Would rather be fingered by a guy named Freddy than read another Deberg thread

Pasta Little Brioni
03-31-2016, 01:49 AM
Rip Torn should have received an Oscar for this

rico
03-31-2016, 02:36 AM
Freddy Got Fingered is one of the most misunderstood movies of all time. A lot of people can't get past the shock-humor component that the movie largely consists of and is known for...If you can make it through that movie and somehow manage to ignore that, you will catch some pieces of humor in that movie that are way ahead of its time... I haven't seen or heard of anything like it before. It's absurdity to the absolute fullest extent...at its finest...and it the majority of it gets lost in the shock-humor. I've always wondered if this was intentional or not.

That movie will for sure, be a cult classic for decades.

Pasta Little Brioni
03-31-2016, 04:16 AM
Wonder Showzen is good too. Not surprised you would like both.

Deberg_1990
03-31-2016, 06:14 AM
Whatever happened to Tom Green??

Pasta Little Brioni
03-31-2016, 06:18 AM

smelly pitts

BlackHelicopters
03-31-2016, 06:20 AM
What is a 'Video Store'?

BigRichard
03-31-2016, 06:22 AM

Ummm... from you thread

http://www.nbcnews.com/news/weird-news/man-arrested-overdue-freddy-got-fingered-video-rental-2002-n545366

As an added bonus, Meyers said he got an unexpected phone call from Green while his story was blowing up on social media. He said Green, currently on tour in Australia, ended up recreating the scene from the movie where Freddy plays a keyboard that allows him to eat sausages at the same time, singing, "Daddy, would you like some sausage?"

mdchiefsfan
03-31-2016, 07:14 AM
Rip Torn should have received an Oscar for this

"That's soap on a rope, retard!"

rico
03-31-2016, 07:16 AM
"That's soap on a rope, retard!"

Betty: Do you have a problem with my legs?

Rip (Dad): No, you have a problem with your legs...either that or your just lazy.

LMAO

rico
03-31-2016, 07:26 AM
Gord: I'm eating a chicken sandwich.

Rip (Dad): No, you're not!!!

Gord: Oh my God, I'm a 28 year old man!! I should be able to eat a chicken sandwich if I want to!!!

Rip (Dad): You can eat a chicken sandwich, very impressive. Michael Fitzgibbon's son is a nuclear physicist, and my son can eat a CHICKEN SANDWICH!!!!! Now you can eat that roast beef, or you can go to bed!!!

rico
03-31-2016, 07:26 AM
Wonder Showzen is good too. Not surprised you would like both.

WHOA!!! YOU'VE HEARD OF WONDER SHOWZEN!!!!?!?!?!

rico
03-31-2016, 07:28 AM

Last I knew, he was doing stand-up and runs a pretty successful comedy podcast. I saw his standup act a few years ago...I proposed to my wife with a ring that I got out of one of those little quarter toy machines at Perkins that night. His stand-up was funny. His podcast is funny.

Demonpenz
03-31-2016, 09:50 AM
I listened to his stand up and podcast. His stand up is more like college crowd smaller arena's not comedy clubs and not obviously sprint center. He sounds professional and has a solid message. Better than my butt is on your face or whatever he used to do.

Pasta Little Brioni
03-31-2016, 10:48 AM
WHOA!!! YOU'VE HEARD OF WONDER SHOWZEN!!!!?!?!?!

Saw most of em bud

Toby Waller
03-31-2016, 11:14 AM
He sold out to MTV to act like a moron