PDA

View Full Version : La Canfora: Chiefs being linked to Butler

staylor26
04-13-2016, 10:42 AM
"Teams are very high on Louisiana Tech defensive linemen Vernon Butler, and I expect him to go in the first round and pretty high at that. The Chiefs are among the teams I have heard him linked to. Scouts love his versatility and ability to pair run stuffing ability with some natural pass rushing moves."

http://mweb.cbssports.com/nfl/writer/jason-la-canfora/25552805/why-it-will-be-jared-goff-not-carson-wentz-going-to-browns-at-no-2

I usually don't take anything this guy says seriously, but we have been linked to Butler quite a bit.

DJ's left nut
04-13-2016, 10:58 AM
I hope he gets drafted before us.

Bowser
04-13-2016, 10:59 AM
That settles it - we're taking a wide receiver

O.city
04-13-2016, 11:04 AM
If he turns into Wilkerson awesome.

Not sure I wanna draft him though

RunKC
04-13-2016, 11:09 AM
Don't tease me goddamnit.

Idk why anyone would not want this guy. WJIII will be gone and I'd absolutely take this guy over Eli Apple.

The Franchise
04-13-2016, 11:11 AM
I'd absolutely take this guy over Eli Apple.

I wouldn't.

O.city
04-13-2016, 11:21 AM
Where do you play the guy? Who's he taking snaps from? Does adding him lessen the impact or lack there of at corner?

RunKC
04-13-2016, 11:32 AM
Where do you play the guy? Who's he taking snaps from? Does adding him lessen the impact or lack there of at corner?

All of DeVito's snaps and some of Poe's. Tired of overplaying Poe and putting more miles on him.

Adding him would make everyone on the line fresh and give a consistent pss Rush at all times from the line. We'll need that with Houston's situation.

I also believe that it's not a bluff that Dorsey wants to roll with Peters, Gaines and Nelson while adding a CB later for depth.

Chief Roundup
04-13-2016, 11:37 AM
Don't tease me goddamnit.

Idk why anyone would not want this guy. WJIII will be gone and I'd absolutely take this guy over Eli Apple.

Why would anyone want to draft another guy in the first that will get "Dee Ford" amount of snaps especially when we need a starting CB across from Peters? That is how I see the possibility of drafting Butler.

staylor26
04-13-2016, 11:40 AM
Why would anyone want to draft another guy in the first that will get "Dee Ford" amount of snaps especially when we need a starting CB across from Peters? That is how I see the possibility of drafting Butler.

While I'd probably prefer to draft a CB, you don't draft for next year.

O.city
04-13-2016, 11:43 AM
All of DeVito's snaps and some of Poe's. Tired of overplaying Poe and putting more miles on him.

Adding him would make everyone on the line fresh and give a consistent pss Rush at all times from the line. We'll need that with Houston's situation.

I also believe that it's not a bluff that Dorsey wants to roll with Peters, Gaines and Nelson while adding a CB later for depth.

IIRC, Devito had like, 300 snaps last year?

I dunno, doesn't seem to be alot of DL snaps to go around, especially if you see Williams and or the other dude sac likes getting any.

Chief Roundup
04-13-2016, 11:44 AM
While I'd probably prefer to draft a CB, you don't draft for next year.

Huh that is worded horribly.
You don't draft for next year, you draft for this year off of your team and talent available. You draft BPA. A part of BPA is if that player fits a need as well.

Chief Roundup
04-13-2016, 11:45 AM

I dunno, doesn't seem to be alot of DL snaps to go around, especially if you see Williams and or the other dude sac likes getting any.

He had 291 snaps total last season. DeVito is listed as a DE not a DT even though I know they do play both.

O.city
04-13-2016, 11:45 AM
BPA should factor in need, but not as a huge factor. Thats how you end up reaching badly.

RunKC
04-13-2016, 11:50 AM

I think you could say the same thing about CB. Dorsey started Gaines last year and I think that was the plan. Nelson seems like he was groomed to take over the slot this year as well.
WR would not get PT with Maclin, Conley, Streeter and Andy's affinity for Wilson.

What positions would start day one? ILB and G are honestly the ony positions I can see from the depth chart. This team is mostly set.

staylor26
04-13-2016, 11:51 AM
Huh that is worded horribly.
You don't draft for next year, you draft for this year off of your team and talent available. You draft BPA. A part of BPA is if that player fits a need as well.

Next year as in the 2016 season that hasn't begun. Sorry, didn't think that would be so confusing.

BPA at a postion of need isn't the same as "let's take the best available corner because we need one".

DL isn't a need today, but Poe is a free agent after this season, Howard the next, and then Bailey the following. It's no different from how Dorsey handled the Albert, Hali/Houston, or Smith situations.

O.city
04-13-2016, 11:54 AM
I think you could say the same thing about CB. Dorsey started Gaines last year and I think that was the plan. Nelson seems like he was groomed to take over the slot this year as well.
WR would not get PT with Maclin, Conley, Streeter and Andy's affinity for Wilson.

What positions would start day one? ILB and G are honestly the ony positions I can see from the depth chart. This team is mostly set.

Well, you start looking about BPA at that point. If Butler is the highest rated there, go for it. He'd probably be better than and start taking snaps over some of those other guys.

I'm thinking due to need and such, Corner wins the tie there if one is avail.

Chief Roundup
04-13-2016, 11:55 AM
Next year as in the 2016 season that hasn't begun. Sorry, didn't think that would be so confusing.

BPA at a postion of need isn't the same as "let's take the best available corner because we need one".

DL isn't a need today, but Poe is a free agent after this season, Howard the next, and then Bailey the following. It's no different from how Dorsey handled the Albert, Hali/Houston, or Smith situations.

I figured as much but we have begun the 2016 season.
But with the Poe stuff you are talking 2 years from now with the tag option.
If we want to start talking about 2017 and beyond we better also be including ILB in there. DJ coming off surgery had the most snaps on defense with something like 1060 last season. He is not getting any younger.

O.city
04-13-2016, 11:55 AM
I'm not a big believer in Nelson in the slot at this point, but it's not a single round draft and there are later corners that can help.

They need some corner depth for sure.

staylor26
04-13-2016, 12:04 PM
I'm not a big believer in Nelson in the slot at this point, but it's not a single round draft and there are later corners that can help.

They need some corner depth for sure.

I personally think the nickel is already on our roster. I just don't know if it's Gaines, Nelson, or Wilson.

If BPA is a CB, you take him and keep Gaines at nickel. If it's another position, you put Gaines on the outside, let Nelson and Wilson compete for the nickel spot, and draft another guy in the 2nd or 4th for depth on the outside.

Gaines versatility, Nelson, and the Wilson signing give us some flexibility that I think a lot of people aren't seeing.

RunKC
04-13-2016, 12:05 PM
Well, you start looking about BPA at that point. If Butler is the highest rated there, go for it. He'd probably be better than and start taking snaps over some of those other guys.

I'm thinking due to need and such, Corner wins the tie there if one is avail.

Truth be told, I'm really starting to warm up to a G at 28. Yeah yeah people will bitch about it, but when you look at what happened to our offense when Jeff Allen was out of the game you see that that is a big hole and I'm not sure we have someone on the roster to plug-in and be successful from day on.
Apparently Dorsey mentioned that LDT would be good at right guard because Schwartz would benefit him greatly, so that leaves Reid or Fulton at LG? Yikes.

I don't think they will take one at 28, but it sure as hell would not surprise me because that player would start day one.
I mean, Whitehair is said to be a Zack Martin clone. If so that would be awesome

O.city
04-13-2016, 12:11 PM
Truth be told, I'm really starting to warm up to a G at 28. Yeah yeah people will bitch about it, but when you look at what happened to our offense when Jeff Allen was out of the game you see that that is a big hole and I'm not sure we have someone on the roster to plug-in and be successful from day on.
Apparently Dorsey mentioned that LDT would be good at right guard because Schwartz would benefit him greatly, so that leaves Reid or Fulton at LG? Yikes.

I don't think they will take one at 28, but it sure as hell would not surprise me because that player would start day one.
I mean, Whitehair is said to be a Zack Martin clone. If so that would be awesome

I like the kid from Stanford alot.

If they could trade down into the top of the 2nd, pick up a 3rd for it, I wouldn't be super pissed I guess.

DaneMcCloud
04-13-2016, 12:43 PM
I have an extremely hard time believing that Dorsey won't take a CB with #28.

DE/DT is not a priority, especially in a draft this deep.

RunKC
04-13-2016, 12:52 PM

He doesn't draft solely on need. We desperately needed a WR in 2014 and didn't take one in any round.

It's hard for me to believe he would start drafting for need now. It's also hard for me to believe that he wouldn't draft a lineman of some sort since him and Andy have spoken about how they both love the trenches so much.

DaneMcCloud
04-13-2016, 12:59 PM
He doesn't draft solely on need. We desperately needed a WR in 2014 and didn't take one in any round.

It's hard for me to believe he would start drafting for need now. It's also hard for me to believe that he wouldn't draft a lineman of some sort since him and Andy have spoken about how they both love the trenches so much.

Right, because the Chiefs didn't need a corner in 2015?

:spock:

Marcus Peters is their most established cornerback on the roster, yet they don't need a CB? Gaines is coming off an ACL tear and has very little experience. Nelson played a few snaps last and proved nothing.

Corner is, by far, they're biggest need and it would be extremely unlikely that Jackson, Alexander or Apple would be gone by #28.

Dante84
04-13-2016, 01:07 PM
Remember when this dipshit said "My sources tell me the Chiefs are selecting Okung" literally 20 seconds before we picked Berry?

What an assclown.

O.city
04-13-2016, 01:13 PM

Marcus Peters is their most established cornerback on the roster, yet they don't need a CB? Gaines is coming off an ACL tear and has very little experience. Nelson played a few snaps last and proved nothing.

Corner is, by far, they're biggest need and it would be extremely unlikely that Jackson, Alexander or Apple would be gone by #28.

Like run said, they don't stretch for need. We had 0 wrs worth much and took ford.

I think they good corner because it matches BPA at need in the part of the draft we happen to sit, but I wouldn't be surprised if they went another direction.

DaneMcCloud
04-13-2016, 01:18 PM
Like run said, they don't stretch for need. We had 0 wrs worth much and took ford.

I think they good corner because it matches BPA at need in the part of the draft we happen to sit, but I wouldn't be surprised if they went another direction.

I would be shocked if one of the Blue Chip corners was available and Dorsey passed.

It's Marcus Peters then a bunch of JAG's. They can't go into the 2016 seasons expecting to win the division and more playoff games with this CB corp.

BossChief
04-13-2016, 01:18 PM

Depends on who is on the board.

This is the last cheap year for Poe and Howard showed the ability to play NT at a high level last year.

If we draft Butler, Poe is a goner.

BossChief
04-13-2016, 01:20 PM
I would be shocked if one of the Blue Chip corners was available and Dorsey passed.

It's Marcus Peters then a bunch of JAG's. They can't go into the 2016 seasons expecting to win the division and more playoff games with this CB corp.

Truth.

But Dorsey has been able to identify CBs as well as anybody in the business...he will find guys that can play the position.

If Apple is there (and I think he might be)...we gotta draft him, though.

Can't trust Gaines.

O.city
04-13-2016, 01:26 PM

Depends.

If they think one of the later round corners would work well, who knows.

Personallg, I think it's a cb in round 1.

The Franchise
04-13-2016, 01:28 PM
I'm taking Jackson, Apple or Alexander over Butler all day.

RunKC
04-13-2016, 01:34 PM

As I mentioned a week or so ago, I think the front office is doing a lot of research to see if there is a CB in round 2 who can fit the system so they aren't forced to pick based on need. The drop is steep from rd 1 to 2 though.

I'd be more than happy with Apple or WJIII or even Artie Burns (not much of an Alexander fan though). I just don't have confidence that they are the pick.

I really do believe that there is a real interest in Butler though. He fits everything Dorsey loves about his lineman.

milkman
04-13-2016, 01:51 PM

I think that LDT is a better fit on the left side, and think that there's a chance he will be starting there when the season opens.

I also will be curious to see how Pughsley progresses, because I thought he showed some ability in the preseason.

Taking a guard in the draft would be a good move, though I wouldn't necessarily agree with taking one in the first round.

And, as an aside, I ask, why the hell is Faniaka still on the roster?

RealSNR
04-13-2016, 03:10 PM
La Canfora: KC being linked to Butler

KC: La Canfora being linked to Butthurt

RealSNR
04-13-2016, 03:11 PM
As I mentioned a week or so ago, I think the front office is doing a lot of research to see if there is a CB in round 2 who can fit the system so they aren't forced to pick based on need. The drop is steep from rd 1 to 2 though.

I'd be more than happy with Apple or WJIII or even Artie Burns (not much of an Alexander fan though). I just don't have confidence that they are the pick.

I really do believe that there is a real interest in Butler though. He fits everything Dorsey loves about his lineman.

If you can get a starting C in the 2nd round, you can get a starting LG in the 2nd or later as well.

Draft a mid-round interior guy and the OL will be just fine.

DaneMcCloud
04-13-2016, 03:24 PM
And, as an aside, I ask, why the hell is Faniaka still on the roster?

The Chiefs safe more dough and have less dead money if he's a Post June 1 cut.

DaneMcCloud
04-13-2016, 03:31 PM
If you can get a starting C in the 2nd round, you can get a starting LG in the 2nd or later as well.

Draft a mid-round interior guy and the OL will be just fine.

I think they can get an early contributor in the 4th.

With the loss of the third round pick, the only way I see them taking a guard in the 2nd is if there's an incredibly talented guard that can start Day One that's dropped due to depth of DE/DT's in this draft.

RunKC
04-13-2016, 04:23 PM
I think they can get an early contributor in the 4th.

With the loss of the third round pick, the only way I see them taking a guard in the 2nd is if there's an incredibly talented guard that can start Day One that's dropped due to depth of DE/DT's in this draft.

Yeah that 3rd rd pick is costly bc that would have been great for an OL or DL. There are always good Interior OL available in round 2 though, so I'm more of an advocate for the 2nd rd pick being spent on a G

O.city
04-13-2016, 04:25 PM
Surely to christ we get that 3rd back, no?

DaneMcCloud
04-13-2016, 04:27 PM

I'm not counting on it, especially since Goodell is handling the hearing.

Chief Roundup
04-13-2016, 05:09 PM

Any idea on when we will find out the result of the appeal?

kccrow
04-13-2016, 06:13 PM
Teams draft for needs, but those needs often span 2-3 seasons (the current and the two subsequent). Many collegiate players simply aren't 100% ready for the NFL out of the gate, and I'd consider defensive line, offensive line, and quarterback the three most prominent. So, for Dorsey to consider D-line in 1 with an eye on the future, I definitely understand it.

In fact, I don't mind Butler at 28 and fully expect it. With expiring contracts for D-lineman in each of the next 3 years, its reasonable that Dorsey will find a replacement that can provide depth to the rotation while honing his skills and functional play strength.

If a CB is there with great value at the top of his board Dorsey will take him, but I highly doubt he's going to reach on guys like Artie Burns, who is a borderline 2nd round pick, and such that several people keep linking to the Chiefs as a possible 1st rounder.