PDA

View Full Version : Life Do you still use: Faxes, Checks, Pay Phone, Stamps, Stapler, Pushpins, PC, Newspapers

scho63
04-17-2016, 10:26 AM
I took a moment yesterday to stop and think about all the items I once utilized but have faded away in the last 5-10 years that I no longer use or have a need for. The list keeps growing.

How many things do you still use or what else have you slowly transitioned from? :hmmm:

Faxing- I think I have sent two faxes in the last 8 years or so. Amazing that NO ONE asks for one but everyone keeps putting it on their business card. I scan and send any document and so do all my clients. The only asses that still use faxes are the GOVERNMENT because they are always 10-15 years behind.

Pay Phone- Not in close to 15 years

Stapler-maybe 5 times in the last 10 years as I love Binder Clips

Pushpins/Thumbtacks-I just use tape

Checks- I haven't written a physical bank check since Feb 2016 while living in Toronto. In the rare cases someone needs something else, I get a money order.

PC- My last personal PC was a Compaq somewhere around 16 years ago with that little red round button that stood out against the white tower

Stamps-I pay everything online so no checks to write and send so no need for stamps. I've probably used less than 10 stamps over the course of the last 10 years, Most for overweight packages and nearly zero pieces of mail

Newspaper-I used to work in the industry back in the early to late 80's and read the ENTIRE paper I worked at front to back each night during the shift while the press ran. Now I never buy a newspaper of any kind and only read the free local paper in my mailbox or the ones left on the metro or on the counter at a bar I'm drinking at. Probably 12-15 years since I bought a newspaper

Magazines-I used to subscribe to a few back in the late 90's while still living in NJ and bought many others at the bookstore. I probably haven't bought a magazine in over 10 years

Books-I haven't bought a hardcopy book for myself in over 15 years.

Records or CD's-At least 15 years

The Franchise
04-17-2016, 10:29 AM
Staplers and push pins don't belong on this list.

Just Passin' By
04-17-2016, 10:32 AM
The only item on your list that I don't use regularly is the pay phone.

Simply Red
04-17-2016, 10:33 AM
Staplers still - sure.

alanm
04-17-2016, 10:40 AM
Fax- no
checks- yes
pay phone- occasionally
stamps- yes
stapler- yes
pushpins- yes
newspaper- yes
PC- right now.
Mags- yes
books- yes
CD's yes

LoneWolf
Still use a stapler on a daily basis. Push pins on a fairly regular basis. Use a OC on a daily basis. I still love the feel of a book in my hand and I buy books regularly.

hometeam
Faxing- Several times a week. I work ina car dealership, and we still operate with many vendors, MADA, other dealers, lienholders etc via fax

Pay Phone- maybe once in my life

Stapler- Nearly every day. I staple all kinds of paperwork. Staple my cards to letters etc

Pushpins/Thumbtacks- I hang and remove things from my thumbtack board several times a week at least

Checks- I have never EVER used a personal check in my life, at 33 years old.

PC- All day, every day. A superior platform for almost anything needing processing power.

Stamps- Been several years at least, unless you count me putting customer letters in the 'needs postage' box and then they go to the mailroom and they are gone.

Newspaper- Almost never in my life

Magazines- worthless

Books- A true book? been years.. i do read nearly every night via e books though.

Records or CD's- Last cd I bought was lamb of god maybe circa.. 2001?

milkman
04-17-2016, 10:47 AM
Still use a stapler on a daily basis. Push pins on a fairly regular basis. Use a OC on a daily basis. I still love the feel of a book in my hand and I buy books regularly.

I miss the days when I used to spend a half hour or more in the bookstore reading through the synopsis of several books to decide which books I was going to buy.

These days, the only new book store in my area is 20 minutes away, and finding parking is absolutely ridiculous.

Still buy books, as I also still love the feel of books in my hand.

But buying books on line is no where near as enjoyable.

BigRichard
Faxing is used very regularly in an up to date Hospital system. Many offices won't accept correspondences any other way.

I use almost everything on your list besides pay phones(are there pay phones left anywhere). Several of them such as checks and newspapers is on a much less frequent basis but I still have looked at one at least in the last year or so. My main computer is a PC. And I have tablets and laptops and smart phones. I am contemplating building a new PC here shortly with all up to date shit since the one I am using right now was top of the line back in 2010 but not so much anymore. You just can't beat a PC when it comes to computing power when you use one all day long.

Buehler445
Answered your questions.

Faxing Fuck Faxes (Not FAX - He rules. COME BACK FAX) in the goddamned face. Faxes were never a viable communication medium. Fuck any motherfucker that still faxes. I've even got the USDA to accept scanned documents.

Pay Phone LMAO Used one one time ever.

Stapler :cuss: I hate me some staples. Since I went to electronic documentation, staples are the bane of my existence. I still recognize their place in business however.

Pushpins/Thumbtacks-I never used them because I'm not a girl

Checks- I still write checks. Never for anything personal, but for business expenses, the papertrail is important.

PC- Still run one. Can't do business without it. Granted it's a laptop/docking station, but the desk, computer monitor keyboard stuff still matters to me from a production standpoint.

Stamps-Still have to mail a bunch of crap, again nothing for personal, but business still requires paper.

Newspaper-Nope.

Magazines-Nope.

BooksI own a bunch but I haven't bought one in 7 or 8. The last one I did, I bought to use on a plane when they wouldn't allow electronics.

Records or CD's-Nope.

scho63
04-17-2016, 10:58 AM
Fax- no
checks- yes
pay phone- occasionally
stamps- yes
stapler- yes
pushpins- yes
newspaper- yes
PC- right now.
Mags- yes
books- yes
CD's yes

Do you still churn you own butter too? :D

Rausch
04-17-2016, 11:01 AM
I still love reading an actual book.

I can highlight areas, bookmark pages, etc...

Deberg_1990
04-17-2016, 11:01 AM
Stil have my subscription to Hustler mag

scho63
04-17-2016, 11:09 AM
Stil have my subscription to Hustler mag

Aside from the obvious pictures, their cartoons were so damn awesome and non-PC.

I loved Dwaine Tinsley's work. :clap:

MTG#10
04-17-2016, 11:12 AM
Stapler and PC are the only things from your list that I still use.

I write maybe three checks/year for random things that require them and stamps about the same.

suzzer99
04-17-2016, 11:15 AM
I find checks a useful way to pay for my fluff & fold laundry. That way I don't have to have the awkward moment where I ask them to give me $2 back from $40 so I can tip them a reasonable amount. Other than that my checkbook barely moves - medical stuff.

Faxing still happens a lot for official documents like home loan stuff.

Pay phone lol - but I did see a guy using one in Yosemite where cel coverage didn't work. So that one I bet actually gets used a lot. It literally never would have occurred to me that I could use the pay phone - I'm so used to ignoring them.

Sweet Daddy Hate
04-17-2016, 11:25 AM
How did the PC make this list?

Windows is still God in the business world.

BigRedChief
04-17-2016, 11:29 AM
Fax- rare. job stuff
checks- rare. 4-5 in 8 years or so
pay phone- maybe 1992?
stamps- yes
stapler- yes
pushpins- yes
newspaper- online
PC- Laptop use
Mags- no
books- yes
CD's no

displacedinMN
04-17-2016, 11:38 AM
Fax- no-they suck
checks- yes-once in a while
pay phone- does those still exist? can't remember the last time I saw even a ghost of one
stamps- once in a while
stapler- all the time at school
pushpins- no
newspaper- only on sundays
PC- all the time
Mags- no, too cheap
books- no
CD's no-my year old laptop did not come with a cd player. Neither did any of the new ones at school.

Printer? about once a month at home

Eleazar
04-17-2016, 11:43 AM
Fax- Never
Checks- One paper check per month.
Pay phone - Not in 10-15 years
Stamps - Less than one per month.
Stapler - Sometimes
Pushpins - Sometimes
Newspaper - Never
PC - daily
Mags - Never
Books - Mostly paper books, because you can't beat used book prices with ebooks, and you can pass a paper book on to a friend when you're done.
CDs - Never, now that the world has Spotify

cdcox
04-17-2016, 11:57 AM
Fax- maybe one a year if that is the only thing they take.
checks- maybe one a year. My wife still mails bills the old fashioned way
pay phone- no-- totally gross
stamps- maybe a few per year. Again, my wife still mails bills the old fashioned way.
stapler- yes, but mostly to dispense a staple to pick my teeth
pushpins- yes, we have bulletin boards at work where we occasionally post stuff.
newspaper- no
PC- haven't used a PC on a regular basis in 10 years. Laptop.
Mags- no
books- no
CD's still use, don't buy, but my wife does

Bugeater
04-17-2016, 12:05 PM
Faxes Yes, I occasionally get proposals faxed to me, but it's because the sender is out of date, not us. I'd prefer to get them via email.

Checks Maybe a few times a year.

Pay Phone I don't think I could find one if I needed one

Stamps Just a few times a year.

Stapler Yes, daily. My job still involves a lot of paperwork.

Pushpins I've never really used them much. If they didn't exist, I wouldn't miss them.

PC Yes, if I have to type anything I can do it much faster on a keyboard than a phone.

Newspapers Absolutely, they work great for starting charcoal.

Magazines Maybe if I'm stuck in a waiting room somewhere.

Books Closest thing is the catalogs at work

CDs Yes but only as back up hard copy. Rarely, if ever, listen to them.

Sweet Daddy Hate
04-17-2016, 12:07 PM
Faxes Yes, I occasionally get proposals faxed to me, but it's because the sender is out of date, not us. I'd prefer to get them via email.

Checks Maybe a few times a year.

Pay Phone I don't think I could find one if I needed one

Stamps Just a few times a year.

Stapler Yes, daily. My job still involves a lot of paperwork.

Pushpins I've never really used them much. If they didn't exist, I wouldn't miss them.

PC Yes, if I have to type anything I can do it much faster on a keyboard than a phone.

Newspapers Absolutely, they work great for starting charcoal.

ROFL

notorious
04-17-2016, 12:13 PM
I use everything but a payphone, and rarely CD's.

When I want sonic bliss I will pop in a CD.

Rausch
04-17-2016, 12:16 PM
Hell, I still have a Rolodex (paper cards you can flip over.) I've had it for over 20 years and every number I've ever taken is on there.

Most, in fact the greatest majority, are probably useless now. That said if I need ANYTHING in this town (from a lawyer to pizza to a prostitute who likes Pink Floyd) it's in there...

Indian Chief
04-17-2016, 12:21 PM
I miss the days when I used to spend a half hour or more in the bookstore reading through the synopsis of several books to decide which books I was going to buy.

These days, the only new book store in my area is 20 minutes away, and finding parking is absolutely ridiculous.

Still buy books, as I also still love the feel of books in my hand.

But buying books on line is no where near as enjoyable.

:clap:

So much this. Could not agree more. I should add the caveat that I read a lot and I don't care for reading on a tablet or kindle. Between work, gaming, and cell phones I spend enough time looking at a screen already.

Faxes - Maybe once a year
Checks - Few times a year
Pay Phone - Couldn't find one if I tried
Stamps - Probably same occasions as the checks
Stapler - Yes, this doesn't belong here
Pushpins - Rarely
PC - Yes, this doesn't belong here. To be fair, I do a lot of gaming so it may also be a matter of hobbies.
Newspapers - No, but never really did
Magazines - Waiting room only
CDs - Recently converted my entire collection to digital so now I don't have to bother. My new car actually didn't come with a CD player, so I would not have had an option.
Records - I love records so I play these on occasion. Something about some classic jazz on vinyl.

rockymtnchief
04-17-2016, 12:29 PM
Fax- occassionally at work
checks- one per month for child support (4 months left to go)
pay phone- no
stamps- one per month for child support (4 months left to go)
stapler- yes
pushpins- no
newspaper- only the small towns that I used to live in
PC- Laptop/phone/tablet
Mags- dentist office and long flights
books- Yes
CD's- rarely. Usually load onto the laptop and then onto my ipod. I'm not even sure the player in my truck works as I've never used it.

Deberg_1990
04-17-2016, 12:50 PM
I miss the days of perusing Blockbuster video on a fri/sat night. Hanging out by the return bins waiting for someone to return Bad Boys

CapsLockKey
04-17-2016, 12:58 PM
Newspapers, Magazines, CDs and pay phones no. The rest get used at work.

displacedinMN
04-17-2016, 01:19 PM
FYI-KQRS in Minneapolis is playing more songs from vinyl. There is a difference. You can tell.

SAUTO
04-17-2016, 01:51 PM
I don't use pay phones

Mr. Laz
04-17-2016, 01:55 PM
checks are still handy
staples are still necessary
stamps still used occasionally

Valiant
04-17-2016, 02:08 PM
Fax: About 50 a day. It is still the easiest for what I do.
Checks: Hell yes, funny enough they are making a come back.
Stamps: Yep, because of checks.

Stewie
04-17-2016, 02:12 PM
Fax- Once per year to reserve a cabin in the mountains.
Checks- One per month during the summer months for lawn work.
Pay phone- It's been at least 15 years, probably more.
Stamps- Rarely
Stapler- Yes
Pushpins- No
Newspaper- Only the free local paper.
PC- Yes, I need the processor power.
Mags- No. I think my last mag subscription was Popular Mechanics (1990's)
Books- Yes
CD's - No

Rain Man
04-17-2016, 02:57 PM
Faxing- About once every three years someone asks us for a fax or sends one.

Pay Phone- Probably not in a dozen years or so.

Stapler- I do occasionally use a stapler if I print a report to review. That doesn't happen very often.

Pushpins/Thumbtacks-I used some about 5 or 6 years ago when I put something on a bulletin board. I just realized that I never moved the bulletin board when I switched offices.

Checks- I just wrote two checks to the IRS and the Colorado Department of Revenue. I don't want to give them my checking account, so I dug out the checkbook. I also write checks for magazine subscriptions because if you use a credit card, the fine print says that they'll just bill your credit card forever unless you make them stop.

PC- Is a laptop different than a PC? I use a laptop about 18 hours a day. But I haven't had a desktop PC in 16+ years.

Stamps-When I wrote the checks to the IRS and Colorado Department of Revenue, I put stamps on the envelopes. I also use them for magazine subscriptions for the same reason.

Newspaper-Funny coincidence. We've always received the newspaper, but got a renewal notice a couple of weeks ago for the Denver Post. We decided that it was no longer worth $250. We still get the Wall Street Journal, though.

Magazines-National Geographic and Smithsonian. My wife gets a couple of fashion magazines.

Books- It's been a long time. I read online now. It's terrible, but I don't read books these days. I read articles online.

Records or CD's- I got an ipod about six or seven years ago and I think we eventually gave away all of our CDs. We have the old stereo out in the garage now.

On an unrelated note, I just bought a new ipod last night. Society says that men can't buy pink stuff, and I laugh in society's face. Plus, I think it's fuchsia, not pink.

Hog's Gone Fishin
04-17-2016, 04:01 PM
I took a moment yesterday to stop and think about all the items I once utilized but have faded away in the last 5-10 years that I no longer use or have a need for. The list keeps growing.

How many things do you still use or what else have you slowly transitioned from? :hmmm:

Faxing- I think I have sent two faxes in the last 8 years or so. Amazing that NO ONE asks for one but everyone keeps putting it on their business card. I scan and send any document and so do all my clients. The only asses that still use faxes are the GOVERNMENT because they are always 10-15 years behind.

Pay Phone- Not in close to 15 years

Stapler-maybe 5 times in the last 10 years as I love Binder Clips

Pushpins/Thumbtacks-I just use tape

Checks- I haven't written a physical bank check since Feb 2016 while living in Toronto. In the rare cases someone needs something else, I get a money order.

PC- My last personal PC was a Compaq somewhere around 16 years ago with that little red round button that stood out against the white tower

Stamps-I pay everything online so no checks to write and send so no need for stamps. I've probably used less than 10 stamps over the course of the last 10 years, Most for overweight packages and nearly zero pieces of mail

Newspaper-I used to work in the industry back in the early to late 80's and read the ENTIRE paper I worked at front to back each night during the shift while the press ran. Now I never buy a newspaper of any kind and only read the free local paper in my mailbox or the ones left on the metro or on the counter at a bar I'm drinking at. Probably 12-15 years since I bought a newspaper

Magazines-I used to subscribe to a few back in the late 90's while still living in NJ and bought many others at the bookstore. I probably haven't bought a magazine in over 10 years

Books-I haven't bought a hardcopy book for myself in over 15 years.

Records or CD's-At least 15 years

You're going to be SOOOO fucked when the grid goes down. You might as well just sit at your desk and suck your thumb.

Hog's Gone Fishin
04-17-2016, 04:05 PM
Sometimes I use a phone booth to change into my Hog farmer costume. You know, like superman.

Sorter
04-17-2016, 06:31 PM

Faxing-Rarely.

Pay Phone- No

Stapler-Yes

Pushpins/Thumbtacks-Yes

Checks-Yes

PC- Yes

Stamps-Occasionally

Newspaper-Varies.

Magazines-Probably once a month.

Books-Yes.

Records or CD's-Occasional use.

Otter
04-17-2016, 07:03 PM
The only real legitimate one on there is pay phones.</br></br>PCs? Really? Where do you work and how is NewEgg still in business?

Buzz
04-17-2016, 07:13 PM
Faxing- Once or twice a year

Pay Phone- Don't see them

Stapler- At least a stick a week

Pushpins/Thumbtacks- Meh, not often

Checks- Only when I cant pay online and people who pay with checks at the grocery store piss me off

PC- Yes

Stamps- Only when I can't pay a bill online

Newspaper- No

Magazines- Not in 5 years

Books- Only from the library

Records or CD's- Listen to them but haven't bought any in some time.

DaneMcCloud
04-17-2016, 07:14 PM
Fax: Yes. I use Ring Central but some companies prefer faxes to email due to security and sensitive information.

Pay Phone: No. I don't even recall the last time I used one. It has to be 20+ years.

Stapler: Occasionally necessary

Push Pins/Tacks: Never. I have a penis.

Checks: Every week. Housekeepers, gardeners, monthly tuition.

PC: Every day. Couldn't work without it.

Stamps: Yes. Signed contracts, checks, property tax, etc.

Newspaper: Not since 1990

Magazine: Not since 2004

Books: I receive them as gifts but I don't read them. I'm fully into E-Books

Records or CD's: I encoded my CD collection a decade ago.

HemiEd
04-17-2016, 07:28 PM
Banks accept faxes but not emails for some reason, so I have had to have faxes sent a couple times in the last year settling some of Dad's affairs.

I still like to send checks, even though my wife refuses to and does everything on line.

I am not sure I have seen a pay phone in the last decade, let alone use one. I think the Munich airport might be the last one I remember seeing.

I like getting the Wall Street Journal and reading it in the crapper. I also need a newspaper source to use the chimney for the smoker.

I get SI, New Yorker, Fortune, Golf Digest and Hemmings Motor News. Like to take them to the VA hospital for their lobby reading.

Staples, no

Stamps yes

Laptop

Maybe one CD a year, load them on the HD in the Challenger

Books no, I read CP, but the Mrs. has a nice collection for some reason.

Rain Man
04-18-2016, 11:41 AM
I mentioned this casually in some thread a while back, but I was walking to work one day and a guy asked me if I knew where a pay phone was. I started to say that they don't exist any more and then remembered that I regularly see one pay phone on my walk, and it was less than 100 feet from where the guy was standing. I pointed at it, and it was like making a half-court shot to win a car.

loochy
04-18-2016, 12:08 PM
Faxing- Yes, but I use e-fax (basically a scan and email).

Pay Phone- I don't even SEE those anymore.

Stapler - Yeah, I use a stapler.

Pushpins/Thumbtacks- Yeah, I use pushpins to stick stuff into my cubicle wall.

Checks- I write checks when we register for 5ks and 10ks. I also use them to pay for my babysitter.

PC- I sit at a PC for about 10 hours a day at work. When I'm home, I use my PC for web surfing and gaming. It's performance just kicks the crap out of my wife's laptop and it's really nice to have two very large screens.

Stamps- Yeah, when I mail things. That's not often though. I bought two books after our wedding to send thank you cards. We still have some left 5 years later.

Newspaper- Nah, unless I'm at some kind of waiting room and they have one to kill time.

Magazines-I have a free subscription to Family Handyman, but I never have time to actually sit down and read it. Whenever I have free time I'm off doing something else.

Books- Yes, I read books. I don't like ebooks. They just don't feel right.

Records or CD's - I still listen to my CDs in the car because I'm too lazy to convert them to MP3.

Ming the Merciless
04-18-2016, 12:09 PM
Fax- no - email PDF's
checks- yes - frequently
pay phone- no
stamps- yes - frequently
stapler- yes
pushpins- yes
newspaper- yes - mainly when on vacation, i see it as a guilty pleasure
Desktop PC - daily - although i can see how for some people, laptops and tablets are a better option
Mags - yes
books - yes
CD's - no

scho63
04-18-2016, 01:03 PM
I should have clarified the PC. I meant DESKTOP not Laptop. I use my laptop non-stop

My bad....:deevee:

Ming the Merciless
04-18-2016, 01:21 PM
I should have clarified the PC. I meant DESKTOP not Laptop. I use my laptop non-stop

funny thing is somehow i knew you meant that!

gblowfish
04-18-2016, 01:41 PM
Faxes: Don't send many. Still get POs Faxed to us here at work quite often.
Pay Phone: Can't remember the last time I saw one. But I do like the saying "I'd crawl through a mile of broken glass to hear her fart on a pay phone." That's devotion.
Stapler: Used daily at work, a red Swingline. Don't take it or I'll burn this bitch down.
Pushpins: Yep, I have a bulletin board in my office. Mostly cartoons and stuff.
Checks: Nope. I've done online banking for a long time now.
PC: I've been a Mac User for more than 20 years. Still use a Mac Book Pro laptop at work. I have a Mac Pro Tower and Mac slim Ipad at home.
Stamps: Rarely. Just when I send Christmas Cards.
Newspaper: Subscribe to the KC Star, Independence Examiner and Lexington News.
Magazines: Get free stuff from AARP, AAA, trade mags at work. That's about it.
Books: Don't read much. Most books I have have been gifts. I try to read them if a gift.
Records and CDs: This is a big deal with me because I make CDs (among other things) for a living. Vinyl is making a big comeback with the 20 somethings, and CDs have much better sound than MP3 or other compressed audio files, and they're making a comeback as entertainment media as well. Don't be surprised if you don't see both of these explode in the next five years.

loochy
04-18-2016, 02:25 PM

my answer to that question still applies

I use the hell out of then

scho63
04-18-2016, 02:28 PM
What are some things NOT on my list that you guys can add?

I forgot the Yellow Pages!

ExtremeChief
04-18-2016, 02:29 PM
Faxing- Daily.
Pay Phone- no idea how long .. maybe 20 years ago

Stapler-daily

Pushpins/Thumbtacks-yep and my wife bitches at me when I do and shit falls off the walls

Checks- Occasionally. Maybe 3 a month. Rest is online.

PC- All the time, one at home, 2 at office. Can't even keep the door open when internet goes down.

Stamps-Never at home but have to use at the office.

Newspaper-I just renewed my local newspaper subscription last year. No idea why. It just sits there and I use it for the firepit later.

Magazines-No magazines.

Books-I like to read books, wife prefers the kindle.

Records or CD's-Probably 5 years since I bought a CD. Get everything through ITunes or convert youtube to MPEG's

tooge
04-18-2016, 02:34 PM
I read the paper every day, then do the crosswords on the crapper in the eve.
I still fax stuff
haven't used a stamp in at least 7 or 8 years
Haven't used a payphone in 10 years
Haven't written a check in a long time
Still use thumbtacks and staples

Hydrae
04-18-2016, 02:47 PM
Seldom have used Faxes in my entire lifetime (55 currently)

Pay Phone, have not used on in years and could not tell you where one may be in the area

Stapler, not very often but they are still a great tool when needed

Pushpins, definitely use these. How else do you keep the calendar on the wall (and change it each month)?

Checks, maybe write a dozen a year. Probably less.

Stamps, very seldom used. Maybe a booklet a year if that. Thank goodness for the forever stamps so I don't have to keep buying penny stamps every time they raise the price!

PC, my main machine at home and work actually. Wife only uses a laptop though.

Newspaper, I seldom read it. My parents still read the whole thing every day but they are old and retired.

Magazines, been a while although my granddaughters get Highlights magazine every month. They love it as much as I did nearly 50 years ago.

Books, Love to read actual books. Wife and I are at the library at least every two weeks to check out a few books each. Maybe I will consider going to an e-reader someday but not too interested.

Records/CD's, never been much of a music listener in the first place so this has been no great loss. Occasionally I listen to a comedy CD but that is about it.

Sweet Daddy Hate
04-18-2016, 05:34 PM
Motherfuck FAX machines. I have one client that prefers FAXes for his docs, and I would like to beat him with his FAX machine.

Bugeater
04-18-2016, 06:28 PM

When I'm at home, I use a laptop, but at a desk with a wireless keyboard and mouse. Does that make it a desktop?

DaveNull
04-18-2016, 06:36 PM
I've got an iMac at home, not sure if that counts as being a PC under this definition. Having an always-on machine is super handy.

Haven't used a fax machine in ten years...haven't used a pay phone since I was traveling in europe. I do know where one is, which is surprising. I'd actually like to have one at my house.

I write like three checks a year and it's a pain in the ass.

Rasputin
04-18-2016, 06:55 PM
I use a fax machine everyday at work.
I use a stationary phone at work with a cord attached.
I use a stapler at work
I use push pins hold my Royals Pennants up
I use checks to pay a couple things off with
I use stamps to lick acid off of
I use my PC to get my post count up over 25K on Chiefs Planet
I use a newspaper to swat fucking spiders with (if it's wrapped around a brick even better use of a newspaper)
I use Gaming Magazine to get in the mail so it's not a bill also read up about new games
I use books to read unless I see a spider then I can smash the fucker with a book just as effective as a brick only doesn't cause as much damage to furniture
I use CD's to listen to in my car and jam out too.

Saulbadguy
04-18-2016, 07:03 PM
Fax - no. My company still supports tons of old farts who fax shit in though. We get hundreds of faxes a day.

Pay phone - not even sure where one is located at.

Stapler - in the rare occasion I print something that is more than 2 pages (double sided), i'll sometimes remember to click the "staple" option on the printer.

Pushpins/Thumbtacks- no

Checks- Rarely, and I have to shame whoever i'm writing the check to to sign up for a paypal account.

PC- Every day.

Stamps-No.

Newspaper- I'll read it for a few seconds until I get frustrated on how much of a pain in the ass it is to hold it.

Magazines- Kindle subscription.

Books- Kindle.

Records or CDs - CD's, never. I just buy it on Amazon or iTunes. Records, sometimes, because i like to waste money on things like that every once in awhile.

Chieficus
04-18-2016, 07:04 PM
Faxing- I've never faxed.

Pay Phone- last time was in '98, still in HS and blew out a tire on the way home from work. Called home for help.

Stapler-throughout the week, yes (office work)

Pushpins/Thumbtacks-yep

Checks-rent, church, water bill, doctors, all by check

PC- mostly laptop or phone, rare occasion a PC at the office

Stamps-practically every day I'm writing and mailing a handwritten note to someone

Newspaper-I'll read the comics in my parents' newspaper whenever I go visit

Magazines-had a Nat Geo subscription until three years ago

Books-every day. Love holding a book while reading.

Records or CD's-CDs, everyday; records... My girlfriend just bought a player, i now call her a hipster

alanm
04-18-2016, 07:17 PM
Do you still churn you own butter too? :DI've been known to hand crank Ice Cream on occasion.

alanm
04-18-2016, 07:20 PM
I find checks a useful way to pay for my fluff & fold laundry. That way I don't have to have the awkward moment where I ask them to give me $2 back from $40 so I can tip them a reasonable amount. Other than that my checkbook barely moves - medical stuff.

Faxing still happens a lot for official documents like home loan stuff.

Pay phone lol - but I did see a guy using one in Yosemite where cel coverage didn't work. So that one I bet actually gets used a lot. It literally never would have occurred to me that I could use the pay phone - I'm so used to ignoring them.You know.. The only place that I still notice them is in front of Convience stores.

DaNewGuy
04-18-2016, 07:23 PM
You know.. The only place that I still notice them is in front of Convience stores.

There's a notorious pay phone across the street from me at a 24/7 Kangaroo and I see crackheads on it all the time lol