PDA

View Full Version : Mock Draft 8

kccrow
04-18-2016, 12:15 AM
I'm going against the grain here, so don't be too harsh. ;) My assumptions are that the top CBs are off the board at #28 and so is Butler. Playing with the scenarios, I really don't see a way that a CB that actually fit KC's scheme drops to KC. I also think that there are a couple teams, such as Green Bay and Indianapolis, that could take Butler out in front of KC. In any event...

Round 1 | TYLER BOYD - WR - PITTSBURGH (6'1" 197)

Very good release off the line. Runs good routes, but could be crisper and needs work on plant cuts to be an effective all-around NFL receiver. Extremely fluid runner. Quick burst to gain early separation. Elite body control. Outstanding hands. Knows when to leave his feet and when to stay planted. Enough shift with the ball in his hands to gain yards after catch. Top-of-class ability to make contested catches. Plus end-zone ability. Adequate, but not elite, long speed. Functional player on screens and end-arounds. If he can become an elite route runner (the signs are there) in the NFL, he looks like a prototype for West Coast offenses as a quicker version of Miami's Jarvis Landry. The most complete receiver I've watched on tape in 2016. Actually reminds me a bit of Reggie Wayne, but I won't go there just yet.

The Chiefs have a developing deep threat in Conley and picked up Rod Streater as a free agent, but I'm not going to pretend that the Chiefs are content at receiver. This team desperately needs a true #2, and we have yet to see if anyone on the roster can actually be just that. The Chiefs grab one now. I do realize many might call this a reach, but I will disagree. This kid is as good as any on tape in this draft. I haven't said much about him up to this point, but he's just a really good football player that I can see become very good in the pros. After all, he only broke all of Larry Fitzgerald's records.

Round 2 | KENTRELL BROTHERS - ILB - MISSOURI (6'0" 245)

Elite production on tape. Shows no hesitation, quick to read and diagnose, quickly filling downhill with bad intentions from play to play. Elite vision and ball awareness. Finds ball, attacks ball type. Excellent strength at the point and ability to stick lineman, shed, and make plays. Reliable in finding coverage responsibility. Good in zone and reads quarterbacks, making plays on the football. Lacks elite speed to be a sideline-to-sideline player in the NFL, but has excellent short area quickness to keep plays from developing in his area. Will never be a man-cover player against tight ends in the NFL. Lack of speed in shorts may cause a fall, similar to Paul Dawson in 2015. On-tape production second to none, that could make teams wish they didn't pass. The best linebacker in college football, without exception.

I think the Chiefs have some decent looking prospects at ILB that might be able to take on more of a cover role similar to DJ, but Mauga really needs to be upgraded. Mauga isn't the worst player, but he's far from the best.

Round 3 | ROGER GOODELL - ASS - NFL
Selection stripped for "tampering."

At this point, I'm not entirely sure that KC gets this pick back. With Goodell hearing the appeal, lets just say I don't have high hopes.

Round 4 | FAHN COOPER - OT/OG - OLE MISS (6'4" 303)

Excellent length for size. Solid at right tackle, functional at left tackle. Appears to be best suited at guard in the NFL. His ability to play either tackle spot increases his value. Great lower body thickness. Long arms and big hands with solid strength to latch onto defenders and keep them at bay. Tough player, something Reid covets. Leader. Wide base player that seems to be a staple of recent Dorsey acquisitions. Gets good movement in run game.

The Chiefs might have one guard position semi-set, as it appears they want to lock Duvernay-Tardiff in at RG, but they desperately need competition for one of the two starting spots. Cooper is a guy that can come in and do that right away. Dorsey has followed his Packers' roots, showing the tendency to make college tackles into NFL guards.

Round 5 | JUSTON BURRIS - CB - NC STATE (6'0" 212)

Thickly built corner that looks best in press-man. Physical at the point, generating good jams. Solid transitional footwork for his length and high-cut, but could stand to clean it up in the NFL. Has shown the ability to stick with receivers down field. Plays the ball well; turns his head to find the football and get a hand on it. Extremely aggressive, but may have to temper that in the NFL so he doesn't get fooled on fakes. Good tackler. Needs to work on changing direction mid-route. Needs to cut off inside routes better. Has problems when he's out of position with grabbing the receiver. Could produce more interceptions.

While I see CB as a need, I don't necessarily see it as a "must reach" day one need. The only two corners I'm taking in round 1 are Apple or Jackson III, and I don't see either being there for KC at this point. If one falls, the Chiefs have to jump. If that doesn't happen, I don't see KC taking a CB until round 4 or 5. Maybe if Burns falls to 59, but other than that the players don't fit the scheme and I don't see a major reach in order.

Round 5 | STEPHEN WEATHERLY - DE/OLB - VANDERBILT (6'4" 267)

Has all of the prerequisite measurements for a 3-4 OLB. Good length. Closes to the ball carrier quickly. Good movement skills. Problems arise with technique. Needs to learn to clean up his release off the line and play relentlessly. Hand usage and punch are a mess. Needs to learn to keep blockers off of his frame. Will come into the NFL as a solid base player that can play the run, but will have to develop a pass rush skill set. Developmental player.

The Chiefs simply need another developmental pass rusher since it doesn't appear that Dezman Moses is going to become much of anything.

Round 6 | QUINTON JEFFERSON - DT/DE - MARYLAND (6'4" 291)

Outstanding quickness and movement ability. Good ball awareness. Shows good to great upper body power at times. Productive disrupting the QB. Excellent swim move. Needs to gain lower body power to sustain against blocks and double-teams. Must become better using his hands to fight inside. Needs to learn to play with consistency and maintain pad level. Looks to be a situational pass rusher initially as he develops his frame, should add 15 pounds.

Similar to the CB position, I see DE/NT as a need for the future, but the Chiefs don't have to run out and get a guy in round 1. They have guys for the next couple of seasons. I don't see Dorsey letting Dontari Poe go anywhere, elite NTs are just too damn hard to find. After that, KC has Howard for 2 years and Bailey for 3. Defensive line just isn't an immediate need, but they could stand to add another developmental player at DE.

Round 7 | ANDREW ADAMS - FS - CONNECTICUT (5'11" 201)

Good size for a safety. Muscular frame and well-proportioned. Very good athleticism for the position with sub-4.55 long speed and 6.96 3-cone. Strong, sporting 24 reps on bench. Good coverage ability to stick in man or play zone. Excellent change of direction to mirror receivers. Aggressive. Will make big hits and can play the football. Reliable tackler. Played too much deep cover/single-high in college, could learn to be more aggressive playing downhill. Extremely underrated.

I don't know if the Chiefs ever have enough cover safeties given the scheme they run, and frankly, they should probably add one they don't have to replace the following season. The Chiefs don't have an immediate need for a starter at any of the first 3-4 spots, so they can develop a guy for a year or two.

staylor26
04-18-2016, 12:42 AM
Yea I'd be pretty disappointed with this draft.

First two picks are both a round too early IMO.

I like the Burris and Weatherly selections though.

The Franchise
04-18-2016, 08:01 AM
Boyd in the first? Fuck that shit.

O.city
04-18-2016, 10:15 AM
So, boo this man?

I actually like Boyd alot though, but I think if rather have sheppard

kccrow
04-18-2016, 05:05 PM

I really disagree about a "round early." A half round? Maybe, at most.

Boyd is probably a max of about 12 picks early I think. He's very commonly rated a top 40 player and some do have him in round 1. When saying round early, I think at least a full 30+ picks.

Brothers isn't early at all imo. A few boards recently revamped their rankings, which at this time usually reflects input they've received from scouts, and Brothers remains a mid-to-late 2nd round pick at this juncture. I see Brothers' floor as top 3rd of round 3, which would up him 10-12 picks high at most.

staylor26
04-18-2016, 05:23 PM

Boyd is probably a max of about 12 picks early I think. He's very commonly rated a top 40 player and some do have him in round 1. When saying round early, I think at least a full 30+ picks.

Brothers isn't early at all imo. A few boards recently revamped their rankings, which at this time usually reflects input they've received from scouts, and Brothers remains a mid-to-late 2nd round pick at this juncture. I see Brothers' floor as top 3rd of round 3, which would up him 10-12 picks high at most.

Boyd is 20-30 picks too early IMO. If we're going to reach for a WR there (which I'd prefer not to do), I'd rather it be Fuller or even Shepard. Miller and Boyd are guys I'd wait and see if I can get with our 2nd.

Brothers is a slow/undersized two down thumper. I love his instincts, but I'm going for more upside in the 2nd (especially without a 3rd).

I don't know what specific draft analysts you are referring to, but most of the NFL networks guys (DJ, Bucky, Mayock, Zierlein) have Boyd as a mid-late 2nd and Brothers as a 3rd/4th. I specifically remember DJ and Bucky talking about Brothers in that area on their podcast.

KevB
04-18-2016, 09:10 PM
Boyd is 20-30 picks too early IMO. If we're going to reach for a WR there (which I'd prefer not to do), I'd rather it be Fuller or even Shepard. Miller and Boyd are guys I'd wait and see if I can get with our 2nd.

Brothers is a slow/undersized two down thumper. I love his instincts, but I'm going for more upside in the 2nd (especially without a 3rd).

I don't know what specific draft analysts you are referring to, but most of the NFL networks guys (DJ, Bucky, Davis, Zierlein) have Boyd as a mid-late 2nd and Brothers as a 3rd/4th. I specifically remember DJ and Bucky talking about Brothers in that area on their podcast.

Agreed, in both cases, I'm picking a more dynamic player if I go WR and LB.

O.city
04-19-2016, 09:31 AM

I'm there with you. Is it really a reach if the team has him rated there? Probably not.

I like sheppard for this system better than Boyd as I think he could end up being an Emmanuel Saunders clone.

DJ's left nut
04-19-2016, 09:49 AM

Exactly.

1 and 2 are 2nd and 3rd round talents.

DJ's left nut
04-19-2016, 09:54 AM

Brothers is even more early than Boyd to me.

Again, I watched every game Brothers played in his college career. I love the guy and man is he a hell of a worker and good dude.

But he's not a plus athlete for the position at the next level. There is a ZERO percent chance he serves as a true replacement for DJ. Zero. He is not a 3-down linebacker at all. I honestly don't think he can even play in a 4-3 and as a 3-4 player, he'd be a rich man's Mauga (and honestly....I'm not even sure that's fair to Mauga; he's no more athletic than Muaga is and in fact I'd say Mauga is a much BETTER athlete than Brothers).

I'm not even a huge fan of Wilson or Alexander (and March is a complete non-entity to me) and I still wouldn't touch Brothers in the 2nd round.

DJ's left nut
04-19-2016, 10:03 AM

I don't know what specific draft analysts you are referring to, but most of the NFL networks guys (DJ, Bucky, Mayock, Zierlein) have Boyd as a mid-late 2nd and Brothers as a 3rd/4th. I specifically remember DJ and Bucky talking about Brothers in that area on their podcast.

If we had a 3rd, I'd consider Brothers there but I wouldn't be truly elated with the pick unless we could get him in the 4th.

Like you said - smart dude, good instincts and a nose for the ball. But he'll get washed out in the middle and beaten to the corner out wide. And like I said, I look at him as a complete non-factor for about 1/2 the teams in the league as I simply do not see a home for him in a 4-3.

Markus Golden is probably a fair comp athletically but Golden had more advanced pass-rush skills due to his history at DE so he could be used as more of a hybrid OLB. I just do not see that skill set for Brothers.