PDA

View Full Version : Life Ring Neck Snakes

threebag
04-24-2016, 09:47 PM
Anyone have one as a pet when you were young? What did you feed it? How did you keep it? We are trying our luck with one this summer. He found his way into my 7 yr old boys hands. We built a small habitat until we can get a great one for him to live in tomorrow. My boy is excited and sits and watches him. I remeber having a bunch of them when I was little.

Rain Man
04-24-2016, 10:33 PM
Be sure it's a ring necked snake and not a blue-ringed octopus. Those things are trouble.

Eureka
04-24-2016, 10:49 PM
They are slightly venamious and have teeth.

Growing up I had a bannana snake and the toughest dudes would turn into a wimp when the snake would slither around their body.

Fish
04-24-2016, 11:06 PM
They actually are slightly venomous. But harmless to humans. I'd feed it bugs and worms.

Toby Waller
04-25-2016, 12:33 AM
no pictures?

http://www.humboldtherps.com/images/20090416HCHSimage-NW_Ring-necked_Snake_GPS-RNSP-DIAPUNC-01_3_.JPG

Cheater5
04-25-2016, 03:34 AM
I had a couple growing up. Kept them in a small aquarium and fed them worms. They'll def try to escape and one eventually did. Cool pet.

Hoopsdoc
04-25-2016, 04:08 AM
I would run over paraplegics to get away from snakes. I HATE snakes.

threebag
04-25-2016, 04:57 AM
no pictures?

http://www.humboldtherps.com/images/20090416HCHSimage-NW_Ring-necked_Snake_GPS-RNSP-DIAPUNC-01_3_.JPG

The one my son caught seems about half the size of the one in your pic

Sweet Daddy Hate
04-25-2016, 05:24 AM
Made me think of this:

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/kzGtnmu5ZHE" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Dayze
04-25-2016, 06:24 AM
I used to have a Gardner snake in my back yard a few years ago, and when I would mow and I would see him, I would just shut down the mower and go inside for a beer.

he and I had an arrangement. I don't like snakes and he doesn't like lawn mowers.

threebag
04-25-2016, 08:02 AM
Thats how this one showed up i was edging the walk in my yard.

threebag
04-25-2016, 08:06 AM
The larger one by my windmill didn't make it out. She looked unharmed. I was surprised it was killed by the looks of it.

Lonewolf Ed
04-25-2016, 08:45 AM
I used to have a Gardner snake in my back yard a few years ago, and when I would mow and I would see him, I would just shut down the mower and go inside for a beer.

he and I had an arrangement. I don't like snakes and he doesn't like lawn mowers.

I found several pieces of a snake the last time I mowed!

Gonzo
04-25-2016, 09:40 AM
Fuck snakes. Here, I have a habitat for your kids snake...

It's called my fucking wood chipper.

kcfanXIII
04-25-2016, 10:51 AM
I really don't get people's fear of snakes. They are almost universally flight first animals, meaning they will run almost every time they encounter a human. They're creepy, and if you don't want to be around them, I suppose I get that. But I hear so many people who say they'll kill any snake they come across, and I just don't get that. I hate spiders, but they do keep the bugs away. Snakes are the same way with rodents.

seclark
04-25-2016, 10:54 AM
had a ring neck snake when i was a kid. kept it in a big pickle jar laying on it's side. turned it loose after a couple days.
sec

chinaski
04-25-2016, 01:40 PM
When I was a kid, I knew of a place off of 40 hwy where you could find hundreds of Ring Neck Snakes in an afternoon. We would never keep them though. Prairie Kingnakes, Speckled Kingsnakes or Red Milksnakes make for good pets though.

threebag
04-25-2016, 02:16 PM
This one will be held in a 55 gallon tank.

seclark
04-25-2016, 02:20 PM
This one will be held in a 55 gallon tank.

you'll never find that little bastard in a 55 gallon tank.
sec

threebag
04-25-2016, 02:22 PM
you'll never find that little bastard in a 55 gallon tank.
sec

Thats part of the plan. Don't want my son to boy handle him to death.

seclark
04-25-2016, 02:24 PM
Thats part of the plan. Don't want my son to boy handle him to death.

ah...good thinking!
sec

Frosty
04-25-2016, 02:38 PM

They are actually called garter snakes. I used to catch garters when I was a kid and keep them in an aquarium. One of them got loose and we couldn't find it for about two weeks. Then one morning I got up for my paper route and my tennis shoe felt funny. I pulled my shoe off and found the missing snake curled up in it (and a little worse for wear since I had been walking on it).

seclark
04-25-2016, 02:49 PM
my grandfather used to keep some black snakes in his barn, to take care of mice, rats and copperheads. one time i caught one that was about 5' long and was walking up and down the road w/it wrapped around me. grandpa drove past on he way to check the cows. beat my ass and made me take it back to the barn.
sec

FlaChief58
04-25-2016, 02:56 PM
http://www.fcps.edu/islandcreekes/ecology/northern_ringneck_snake.htm

We used to catch them all the time, but my parents hated any kind of snake, so we never kept them. Looks like they will eat pinkies that you can buy at the pet store.

vailpass
04-25-2016, 04:40 PM
They are actually called garter snakes. I used to catch garters when I was a kid and keep them in an aquarium. One of them got loose and we couldn't find it for about two weeks. Then one morning I got up for my paper route and my tennis shoe felt funny. I pulled my shoe off and found the missing snake curled up in it (and a little worse for wear since I had been walking on it).

Garter snake ‒ sometimes called garden snake or gardener snake ‒ is the common name given to the nearly harmless, small to medium-sized snakes belonging to the genus Thamnophis. Endemic to North America, they can be found from the Subarctic plains of Canada to Central America.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Garter_snake

kcpasco
04-25-2016, 05:00 PM
Wash those hands after handling them, unless you like salmonella.

Hoopsdoc
04-25-2016, 05:53 PM
I really don't get people's fear of snakes. They are almost universally flight first animals, meaning they will run almost every time they encounter a human. They're creepy, and if you don't want to be around them, I suppose I get that. But I hear so many people who say they'll kill any snake they come across, and I just don't get that. I hate spiders, but they do keep the bugs away. Snakes are the same way with rodents.

Oh, I hate them but I won't kill them. There's a 4-5 foot black snake living on my property right now, somewhere. I see him a handful of times a year in the summer. We tread widely around each other. My wife thinks I'm crazy for not getting rid of it but I'm like, that snake gets rid of a LOT of vermin around here. And he's NEVER gonna approach us or the kids. Why WOULDNT I want an animal like that around?

Hog's Gone Fishin
04-25-2016, 06:13 PM
The only kind of snakes we find here have a friggin rattle on the end. That's why we remove the head.

Toby Waller
04-25-2016, 06:18 PM
<iframe width="420" height="315" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/nGNmY9-M2RE" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

threebag
04-25-2016, 08:08 PM
Trying earthworms he is small so it's been pretty easy to find food. Found a root ball when out digging around. He really likes it. Makes it easy to find him.

Sorter
04-25-2016, 08:21 PM
55 gal for a ringneck has to be a troll job.

http://33.media.tumblr.com/tumblr_lpzg6qGDxy1qcs1kh.gif

Sorter
04-25-2016, 08:22 PM
The only kind of snakes we find here have a friggin rattle on the end. That's why we remove the head.

Arkansas, right?

Sorter
04-25-2016, 08:27 PM

I understand it in some countries.

Have friends from Oz and Africa that had interesting stories. I don't agree with their perspective on snakes because I love them but I can't exactly fault someone for hating snakes when two or more of your dogs die from snake bites.

Fish
04-25-2016, 08:39 PM
Trying earthworms he is small so it's been pretty easy to find food. Found a root ball when out digging around. He really likes it. Makes it easy to find him.

You might try chewing them up a bit and then feeding them mouth to mouth like a mother bird.

HonestChieffan
04-25-2016, 08:41 PM
Who has a pet snake? Fucked up fuckers. Fuck that. Let your kids stomp the snake flat. Then all get ice cream and pizza.

threebag
04-25-2016, 08:49 PM
55 gal for a ringneck has to be a troll job.

http://33.media.tumblr.com/tumblr_lpzg6qGDxy1qcs1kh.gif

Only tank i have available

Sorter
04-25-2016, 08:49 PM
Who has a pet snake? Fucked up fuckers. Fuck that. Let your kids stomp the snake flat. Then all get ice cream and pizza.

You sound like someone who doesn't have any mental instability.

Sorter
04-25-2016, 08:56 PM
Only tank i have available

Apologies then.

IMO, ringnecks are a poor choice for a pet if you've got a 55gal to work with.

I think it'd be better (in regards to teaching your child how to care for a pet, learn about reptiles, understand lighting/feeding habits, and gain small learning perspective of biology) if you were able to have a rat snake, speckled king, prairie king, or milk snake.

threebag
04-25-2016, 09:01 PM
Apologies then.

IMO, ringnecks are a poor choice for a pet if you've got a 55gal to work with.

I think it'd be better (in regards to teaching your child how to care for a pet, learn about reptiles, understand lighting/feeding habits, and gain small learning perspective of biology) if you were able to have a rat snake, speckled king, prairie king, or milk snake.

This is the trial run. He found it and i am somewhat stuck. Maybe this will get him moving towards other things. He digs this little guy he found and thats good for me.

Chieficus
04-25-2016, 09:05 PM
I understand it in some countries.

Have friends from Oz and Africa that had interesting stories. I don't agree with their perspective on snakes because I love them but I can't exactly fault someone for hating snakes when two or more of your dogs die from snake bites.

Yeah, I've had a few journeys to Zambia--if it's a snake there, it will probably kill you if it bites you, including the lovely puff adder.

Compare that though to a garter snake, milk snake, rat snake, etc. Almost makes our snakes seem cuddly. :D

Couch-Potato
04-26-2016, 12:35 AM
You can literally post anything on this board.

The draft is around the corner and is put in a subforum, but somehow ring neck snakes makes the main forum?

threebag
04-26-2016, 11:41 AM
You can literally post anything on this board.

The draft is around the corner and is put in a subforum, but somehow ring neck snakes makes the main forum?

Maybe you should visit the trouser snake thread.

vailpass
04-26-2016, 12:06 PM
Maybe you should visit the trouser snake thread.

:clap: