PDA

View Full Version : KCCrow's 2016 "What I Want" Mock Draft

kccrow
04-26-2016, 10:23 PM
Well folks, its that time of year. It's been a pleasure enjoying the draft process with all of you. Now its time for me to make my annual declaration of who I want the Chiefs to draft and doesn't necessarily reflect who I think the Chiefs will draft. I try to be as reasonable as possible with draft round projection. Without further ado enjoy.

Round 1 | ARTIE BURNS | CB, Miami (6'0" 193)

http://i1050.photobucket.com/albums/s413/craigpaquin/burns_zpsdxsjzugv.jpg

Burns is grounded with a family and has character. Has persevered through many hardships in his young life. He loves football, is a passionate and hard working player. He's got the size, length, athleticism, and ball skills Dorsey looks for in a corner. He's raw, and can be moulded yet, but the future looks bright. I love play-makers on defense and Burns has turned into one of the draft's best at playing the football. We've kind of pounded the CB position to death talking about it, but Burns could be special with the right coaching.

Round 2 | JOSHUA PERRY | LB, Ohio State (6'4" 254)

http://i1050.photobucket.com/albums/s413/craigpaquin/perry_zpsf9g67mh7.jpg

Chiefs fans can pull out their usual bag of hopes and prayers that every 5th and 6th round draft pick will turn into stars, but count me out of that bunch. The Chiefs need an heir to Derrick Johnson and could stand to upgrade Josh Mauga as well. There's no pressure on Perry to play every down immediately, but he can fill in at any linebacker slot, including OLB where he's a solid pass rusher. Perry is a smooth athlete with prototypical size and speed, is solid in coverage, can stack against the run game, and has an insane closing burst to get to the quarterback or ball carrier in the backfield. With a stable full of maybe's and probable special teams backups, I'll take more of the sure thing.

Round 4 | DEANDRE HOUSTON-CARSON | DB, William & Mary (6'1" 203)

http://i1050.photobucket.com/albums/s413/craigpaquin/houston-carson_zps3aglbz2x.jpeg

John Dorsey signed his usual bargains at safety, so I give him kudos for that as the stable looks strong once again. That doesn't mean the Chiefs shouldn't look for a long-term answer at the nickel defender position, plus KC has yet to sign Eric Berry to a long-term deal. Houston-Carson spent the bulk of his time (3 years) as a boundary corner for the Tribe before an injury set him back in 2014. He returned to the field in 2015 as a free safety and continued his play-making ways. Has the hips, overall athleticism, and speed to stick in man coverage with quick slot receivers. Brings a pop when tackling. Once he learns how to play the position and take better pursuit angles, the sky is the limit for this kid. Very similar to Husain Abdullah.

Round 5 | CODY CORE | WR, Mississippi (6'3" 205)

http://i1050.photobucket.com/albums/s413/craigpaquin/core_zpsnibidphk.jpg

The Chiefs have done a good job of trying to dumpster dive this offseason with the signings of Rod Streater and Mike Williams. If either work out, it is a huge win for the Chiefs. That said, the Chiefs must continue to add to their stable. Jeremy Maclin is the only sure thing at the position right now, but there is some promise with Albert Wilson and Chris Conley. Core is a player similar to Conley: great length, athleticism, and hands, but largely overshadowed as a secondary option at Ole Miss. Core could be a surprisingly good player when he isn't playing second fiddle to Lequon Treadwell who got force-fed the ball quite a bit.

Round 5 | STEPHEN WEATHERLY | DE, Vanderbilt (6'4" 267)

http://i1050.photobucket.com/albums/s413/craigpaquin/Stephen_Weatherly_zps6d4nknyi.jpg

The Chiefs re-signed Tamba Hali, which is probably a good thing given the lack of quick growth from Dee Ford. That said, Ford flashed some promise last season but aside from him the Chiefs have nothing developing at the position. Weatherly is a guy that is solid against the run and needs technique work to free himself as a pass rusher. Weatherly is kind of a traits-based boom-or-bust prospect, but the Chiefs have to move on from Dezman Moses.

Round 6 | BRANDON SHELL | OT, South Carolina (6'5" 325)

http://i1050.photobucket.com/albums/s413/craigpaquin/shell_zpssdct5c8a.jpg

The Chiefs should continue to look for competition at offensive guard in the draft, and this seems to be the area Dorsey likes to go shopping for the position. Like Dorsey, I prefer tackles that kick inside to guard in the pros because they are usually a bit longer and more athletic. Also, like Dorsey, I don't like to spend early day 1 picks on the position. Shell is a mountain of a man at 6'5" 325, and has pretty good movement ability. He tends to slow his feet as he wears down, which could be somewhat mitigated with the move inside plus an NFL conditioning program. Shell shows good strength in the run and pass game and has shown on tape that he can pull off some of the kick and swap blocks that Reid employs on the interior.

Round 7 | QUINTON JEFFERSON | DT, Maryland (6'4" 291)

http://i1050.photobucket.com/albums/s413/craigpaquin/jefferson_zps2vhiqnwo.jpg

Yeah, I know, its a D-line draft and I have the Chiefs waiting until round 7 to snag one. You know what, Dorsey passed on receivers in drafts loaded with them, so don't be surprised if he snags players at positions other than D-line early in this draft. That said, the Chiefs could use another developmental tackle to keep the depth train going after DeVito's retirement. The Chiefs don't need an immediate starter and would be the laughing stock of the league if they let Poe walk next offseason, so I expect he'll be retained. Jefferson has excellent athleticism, decent power in his upper body, and a very good swim move set up. If Jefferson can improve his anchor strength and learn better overall hand technique, he could be a real sleeper as a 3-4 DE.

staylor26
04-26-2016, 10:50 PM
Much better than your last.

kccrow
04-26-2016, 11:13 PM
Much better than your last.

:)

I usually keep these close to the vest until the last days up to the draft and put them out. Been doing them since 2000. I have a running list of my 1st round picks. Should have kept track of them all but didn't. I've missed on a couple.

Here's the list for your entertainment.

2015: Phillip Dorsett, WR, Miami
2014: Brandon Cooks, WR, Oregon State
2013: Star Lotulelei, DT, Utah
2012: Fletcher Cox, DT, Mississippi State
2011: Justin Houston, OLB, Georgia
2010: Russell Okung, OT, Oklahoma State
2009: Michael Crabtree, WR, Texas Tech
2008: Jerod Mayo, ILB, Tennessee
2007: Anthony Gonzalez, WR, Ohio State
2006: Johnathan Joseph, CB, South Carolina
2005: Aaron Rodgers, QB, Cal
2004: Sean Jones, S, Georgia
2003: Nick Barnett, OLB, Oregon State
2002: Phillip Buchanon, CB, Miami
2000: Darren Howard, DE, Kansas State

Chief Northman
04-26-2016, 11:33 PM
So many good players to choose from.

I'll try:

1) Josh Doctson WR
2) Jonathan Bullard DL
4) Deiondre Hall CB
5) Evan Boehm C/G
5) Tyrone Holmes OLB/DE
6) Kevin Byard S
7) Blake Muir G

Couch-Potato
04-27-2016, 06:41 AM
I'm not as familiar with the rest of your board but I like the first two pics a lot, especially Perry in the second.

Sandy Vagina
04-27-2016, 07:02 AM
I wouldn't hate it, kc. Might be better than what they actually do. Can't say I love it either though.

Burns would be a solid pick.. bit of a positional reach imho, but we have the coaches to get the most from him.

I don't think Perry is a true upgrade from what we already have.. and we have a bunch of young LBs with a year of pro seasoning now.

Unless DHC can play press CB, I don't see the point in a safety here. KC won't let Berry leave, Parker's fine as the other S and locked up.. and they signed a bunch of other safeties to compete. They also seem to like Sorenson. ( I know you stated "what I want"... so sorry, not trying to be too critical )

I like your 5th rd WR and OLB enough. Looks like we better pray nothing happens to Maclin again though.. or it's right back to not having a legit WR1.

Brandon Shell doesn't strike me as enough athlete to be very effective, but in the 6th rd, hey what the hell. In the 7th, competition on the DL is fine.

Rausch
04-27-2016, 07:06 AM
I'd like to see us go CB/G or WR/G depending on who falls.

Wouldn't mind one of the G/T tweeners in round 2 just in case we let Fish walk...

DaneMcCloud
04-27-2016, 07:49 PM
Why do you want another ILBer?

Derrick Johnson, Josh Mauga, Ramik Wilson, DJ Alexander and Justin March are all currently on the roster.

I can't see Dorsey wasting a 2nd when he doesn't know what he has with the young guys.

KevB
04-27-2016, 08:38 PM
What I want:

1) William Jackson
2) Sterling Shepard
4) Hassan Ridgeway
5) Isaac Seumalo
5) DeAndre Houston-Carson
6) Stephen Weatherly
7) Moritz Boehringer

A few of these are a bit later than projected, but this is the "what I want" draft, and any of these are possible.

Hog's Gone Fishin
04-27-2016, 08:58 PM
:)

I usually keep these close to the vest until the last days up to the draft and put them out. Been doing them since 2000. I have a running list of my 1st round picks. Should have kept track of them all but didn't. I've missed on a couple.

Here's the list for your entertainment.

2015: Phillip Dorsett, WR, Miami
2014: Brandon Cooks, WR, Oregon State
2013: Star Lotulelei, DT, Utah
2012: Fletcher Cox, DT, Mississippi State
2011: Justin Houston, OLB, Georgia
2010: Russell Okung, OT, Oklahoma State
2009: Michael Crabtree, WR, Texas Tech
2008: Jerod Mayo, ILB, Tennessee
2007: Anthony Gonzalez, WR, Ohio State
2006: Johnathan Joseph, CB, South Carolina
2005: Aaron Rodgers, QB, Cal
2004: Sean Jones, S, Georgia
2003: Nick Barnett, OLB, Oregon State
2002: Phillip Buchanon, CB, Miami
2000: Darren Howard, DE, Kansas State

I'd say you're batting .ooo

kccrow
04-27-2016, 09:09 PM
Why do you want another ILBer?

Derrick Johnson, Josh Mauga, Ramik Wilson, DJ Alexander and Justin March are all currently on the roster.

I can't see Dorsey wasting a 2nd when he doesn't know what he has with the young guys.

Don't have high hopes for Alexander, special teamer at best. Wilson I have some hope for, possibly in DJ's role, but I do worry about his speed in the NFL and he's just too much of a pussy to play in Mauga's role. Mauga is not a good player, he's "serviceable," but easily the biggest liability on the defense. March is a huge question mark and doesn't fit Mauga's role either.

I want a stud linebacker. Josh Perry can be a stud linebacker. He can play any slot, but would be best in Mauga's spot. He could take over DJ's spot if Wilson doesn't work out there. Perry has enough size, strength, and agility that he's very effective rushing the passer when his number is called. You won't get that from any of the current crop. That also is a plus when you look at depth with Houston out early on. You only have Zombo in relief. Perry could slide outside if he had to in a pinch.

So yeah, after DJ I see alot of either shit or "maybes." I think I described that in my original post. There is not quality in quantity.

kccrow
04-27-2016, 09:35 PM
I'd say you're batting .ooo

The Chiefs have never taken a player I've wanted them to pick in the first round. I will say, I've "wanted" alot of talent over the years, some better ones than the Chiefs and some not so much.

I've kept the entire drafts the past 2 seasons. The Chiefs did take one guy on my want list of a year ago in Morse, but I had him mocked in the 3rd. They also took Phillip Gaines in 2014, but I had him mocked in the 5th.

2014 I had this:

1-23. WR Brandon Cooks (taken 20th by NO, has become one of the better receivers in the NFL in only his 2nd season).
3-87. DE Jackson Jeffcoat (UDFA, bounced all over, I missed big time)
4-124. OG Trai Turner (taken 92nd by CAR, all rookie team, then pro bowl, one of the leagues best guards)
5-163. CB Phillip Gaines (taken 87th by KC, 8 career starts)
6-193. DT Jay Bromley (taken 74th by NYG, Giants reached IMO, started 4 games last year, 36 tk.)
7-200. RB Rajion Neal (UDFA of GB, bounced around on practice squads, now with PIT)

2015 I had this:
1-18. WR Phillip Dorsett (taken 29th by IND, 18 c. 225 y. 1 td.)
2-49. LB Stephone Anthony (taken 31st by NO, I undervalued, 112 tackles)
3-80. DE Henry Anderson (taken 93rd by IND, 31 t. 1 sk)
3-98. OG Mitch Morse (taken 49th by KC, starting OC)
4-118. FS Adrian Amos (taken 142nd by CHI, starting FS, 67 tk, 1 sk)
5-172. OT Laurence Gibson (taken 243rd by DAL, cut now with KC)
5-173. CB Darryl Roberts (taken 247th by NE, looked good in Preseason but ended up on IR)
6-193. TE Kasey Pierce (UDFA by DET, spent year on PS)
6-217. WR Tyrell Williams (UDFA by SD, most of year on PS then active roster)
7-233. FB Brandon Cottom (UDFA by SEA, spent year on PS)

smith11
04-27-2016, 11:29 PM
a realistic draft based on pundit projections....

1 mackensie alexander cb clemson....couldpush for starting role, or be nickel slot corner

2 austin johnson dl penn st...the nose next season if poe gets away

3 screw u roger

4 willie beavers og w.michigan reminds me of j. allen, acollege ot who moves inside and competes for lg spot

5 jeff driskel qb la tech...pushes bray off the team as developmental guy

5 daniel braverman wr w.michigan last yr they took 2 beavers from ore st, this year two broncos from w.mich (i think they re the broncos)...this guy produced vs big ten opponenets and could be a chain mover ala cole beasley

6 demarcus robinson wr florida has character issues but talent too...great run after catch ability...made alot of 20 + yd plays for gators

7 will ratelle ilb/fb north dakota..about 5-10 250 nfl .com says he has a fleshy body but is quick twitch player

Sandy Vagina
04-28-2016, 06:32 AM
What I want:

1) William Jackson
2) Sterling Shepard
4) Hassan Ridgeway
5) Isaac Seumalo
5) DeAndre Houston-Carson
6) Stephen Weatherly
7) Moritz Boehringer

A few of these are a bit later than projected, but this is the "what I want" draft, and any of these are possible.

Me likes.

Sandy Vagina
04-28-2016, 06:34 AM
a realistic draft based on pundit projections....

1 mackensie alexander cb clemson....couldpush for starting role, or be nickel slot corner

2 austin johnson dl penn st...the nose next season if poe gets away

3 screw u roger

4 willie beavers og w.michigan reminds me of j. allen, acollege ot who moves inside and competes for lg spot

5 jeff driskel qb la tech...pushes bray off the team as developmental guy

5 daniel braverman wr w.michigan last yr they took 2 beavers from ore st, this year two broncos from w.mich (i think they re the broncos)...this guy produced vs big ten opponenets and could be a chain mover ala cole beasley

6 demarcus robinson wr florida has character issues but talent too...great run after catch ability...made alot of 20 + yd plays for gators

7 will ratelle ilb/fb north dakota..about 5-10 250 nfl .com says he has a fleshy body but is quick twitch player

I like Mack in rd 1.
I like the NT enough.

The rest is solid. Would still be worried about the WRs, if Maclin ever misses a game.

BigChiefFan
04-28-2016, 09:05 AM
1st-ILBer Darron Lee
2nd-CB Artie Burns
4th-OLBer Jaylon Smith
5th-WR Keyarris Garrett
5th-NT DJ Reader
6th-S Deon Bush
7th-OT Avery Young

gonefishin53
04-28-2016, 09:10 AM
2016 Chiefs mock draft based on players available at CBS 4/28 big board.
Rd. 1 Vernon Butler DT
Rd. 2 Sean Davis CB
Rd. 4 Jatavis Brown SS
Rd. 5 Kalan Reed CB
Rd. 5 Stephen Weatherly OLB
Rd. 6 Moritz Boehringer WR
Rd. 7 Brandon Shell OT

Sandy Vagina
04-28-2016, 10:02 AM
2016 Chiefs mock draft based on players available at CBS 4/28 big board.
Rd. 1 Vernon Butler DT
Rd. 2 Sean Davis CB
Rd. 4 Jatavis Brown SS
Rd. 5 Kalan Reed CB
Rd. 5 Stephen Weatherly OLB
Rd. 6 Moritz Boehringer WR
Rd. 7 Brandon Shell OT

Nice. :thumb: