PDA

View Full Version : 1st Round Mock Finale

kccrow
04-26-2016, 10:51 PM
I was hoping to have the time to pull off a final 7 round mock, but I just don't. So, here's the best I can do for you with a first round stab. I tried to predict some trades here. Maybe I'll hit one pick, who knows...

01. Los Angeles Rams | Jared Goff, QB, California (f/TEN)
The Rams didn't trade away that much draft real estate for a project that can play in a year or two. The Rams need a QB that can start right now, and the only player that has seen enough live action at a high enough level to do that is Cal's Jared Goff. He has all of the physical tools to make every NFL throw and is strong in the pocket with good feel and movement while keeping his eyes down field. Goff reminds me of a young Aaron Rodgers and I think he's going to be a very good one.

002. Philadelphia Eagles | Carson Wentz, QB, North Dakota State (f/CLE)
While this is certainly a questionable move by the Eagles' brass, they apparently have their sights set on getting a quarterback-of-the-future in house now. Wentz has the best overall physical skill set in this class, but he probably isn't ready to start day one given that he hasn't seen that much live action and it has all been against FCS level competition. Wentz has the ability to sit behind Bradford for at least one season to develop unless the Eagles give into Sammy Sleeves' whining.

003. San Diego Chargers | Laremy Tunsil, OT, Ole Miss
Fans in San Diego desperately want a defensive pick here, but the truth is that Dunlop has had too many concussions to be relied upon much longer. Tunsil may be the best looking left tackle prospect since Joe Thomas, and would help keep Philip Rivers upright maybe a bit longer. In a division full of premier pass rushers, the Chargers must counter.

004. Dallas Cowboys | Jalen Ramsey, FS/CB, Florida State
The Cowboys biggest need in 2016 is in the secondary. The 'Boys have huge holes at CB, especially after deciding to move Byron Jones to safety full time. While I personally like Ramsey at FS more than CB, he does have the athleticism and traits to be a physical, press-man player on the outside that Dallas desperately needs. The Cowboys will wait to address their mess at DE until later in the draft and the draft is strong enough at RB that they don't have to splurge on Zeke Elliott to get a good runner.

005. Jacksonville Jaguars | Myles Jack, OLB, UCLA
No team in the NFL did a better job of filling huge holes via free agency than Jacksonville. Adding Jared Odrick (DE) and Malik Jackson (DT) to the front four were huge, along with getting Fowler back from injury in 2016. Adding Teshaun Gibson (FS) and Prince Amukamara (CB) strengthens the secondary. The Jaguars have good linebackers in Tevon Smith and Paul Posluszny already, but could use a better strongside player to upgrade Dan Skuta. Jack could slide to the inside when Posluszny hangs them up soon. Jack is a dominate player that can do it all when he's healthy and will give the Jags a playmaker going forward.

006. Baltimore Ravens | DeForest Buckner, DE, Oregon
The Ravens have quite a few needs after facing a season they don't often endure. One huge hole is at DE opposite Timmy Jernigan. The Ravens need help at all three levels of the defense, but they get the draft's best 3-4 DE in Buckner, who can provide a presence both taking up double-teams against the run and rushing the passer to help free up their OLBs. Tunsil will be in play here if he slides past San Diego.

007. San Francisco 49ers | Shaq Lawson, DE/OLB, Clemson
The 49ers finished the 5th worst in the NFL at getting to the QB in 2015, and that number has to improve. The defense has been devastated by retirements and needs to return to power for this team to stand a chance. Lawson is big and he's strong and he's faster in space than Joey Bosa. I will say he's a huge boom-or-bust prospect at this stage of the draft, but Lawson has shown he is a guy that can be an edge setter against the run and give you a very good pass rush.

008. New Orleans Saints | Vernon Hargreaves III, CB, Florida (f/MIA via PHI & CLE)
In my first predicted trade, the Saints come up from 12 to 8, giving up their 2nd round pick #47 but receiving back 3rd round pick #77 in the process, to snag their top rated CB ahead of Tampa Bay. The Saints were terrible against the pass in 2015, and must improve. Improving starts with a top-tier corner, and keeping one away from a division rival is all the sweeter. Hargreaves may just be the best boundary defender in this class, so giving up a third rounder to get him isn't a bad investment.

009. Tennessee Titans | Ronnie Stanley, OT, Notre Dame (f/TB)
In my second predicted trade, the Titans get scared that New York will snag Stanley so they move back up into the top 10, from 15 to 9, giving up their 3rd round pick #64 and their 5th round pick #140. The Titans fan base seems to think Taylor Lewan is fine at LT, but that's debatable. By adding an athletic left tackle like Stanley, the Titans can move Lewan to the right side to take advantage of his power. With rushers coming from both sides of the line regularly in today's NFL, it's good to have bookend tackles that can get the job done. Marcus Mariota will be dancing in the streets knowing his edges are well protected.

010. New York Giants | Joey Bosa, DE, Ohio State
The Giants prior Super Bowl runs were largely in part due to a ferocious pass rush, which has all since evaporated. The G-men did well in snagging Miami's Olivier Vernon in free agency and they retained Jason Pierre-Paul on a one year deal. It doesn't look like Pierre-Paul is the long-term answer at this point, and might be best served as a rotational pass rusher. Bosa can provide that solid anchor opposite Vernon and give them a pair of quality bookends for the forseeable future.

011. Miami Dolphins | Ezekiel Elliott, RB, Ohio State (f/CHI)
The trades continue as Miami is excited Cleveland traded from 8 to 12, but remain nervous that Cleveland might keep Zeke closer to home, so they move up from 13 to 11, giving up their 4th round pick #107 and their 6th round pick #186. The Dolphins need a good running game to help take some pressure off of Ryan Tannehill. Zeke is a a do-everything runner with homerun hitting ability in the open field; a true workhorse back that the Dolphins can rely on.

012. Cleveland Browns | Lequon Treadwell, WR, Ole Miss (f/NO)
The Browns have moved around in the draft and have gained picks to help fill the plethora of holes in their roster. It appears that they are going full-on rebuild and are gutting the organization. The Browns biggest need aside from a franchise QB is at WR and they sit in a premier spot at 12 to land the draft's best wideout. There are talks Treadwell will drop to the late 20's, but I have my doubts as he's just too good using his body to box out defenders and make contested grabs and he has enough juice to get open on underneath routes. Surrounding whoever plays QB with weapons should be an early priority for the Browns.

013. Chicago Bears | A'Shawn Robinson, DT/DE, Alabama (f/PHI via MIA)
It is no secret that the cupboard is pretty bare in Chicago when it comes to the defensive side of the football. Chicago needs to find a defensive ends to play next to Eddie Goldman. Akiem Hicks was a nice short-term pick-up, but they really don't have much opposite him. Robinson comes in ready to contribute having already played in the 3-4 at Alabama. Robinson is a mountain of a man that can move and set the line of scrimmage.

014. Oakland Raiders | Reggie Ragland, ILB, Alabama
The Raiders did a nice job of filling some big holes on defense with the signings of Sean Smith at CB and Bruce Irvin at OLB. They need to focus on the inside now and stopping the run, which would allow Khalil Mack more leniency to disrupt. Ragland is the draft's top inside linebacker and brings that old-school, smash-mouth attitude the Raiders defense lacks.

015. Tampa Bay Buccaneers | Eli Apple, CB, Ohio State (f/LA via TEN)
The Buccaneers secondary wasn't good last season, and signing 33-year-old Brent Grimes to give them something on the back-end is testament to that fact. The Bucs are in desperation mode at this point to add players that can defend the pass. Trading down works well for Tampa, as they can snag Apple while picking up some extra ammunition in the draft. Apple is a well-rounded corner that can play press, man, or zone, which will give the Bucs some flexibility on the boundary.

016. Detroit Lions | Sheldon Rankins, DT, Louisville
The Lions never adequately replaced Ndamakung Suh nor Nick Fairley, and their defense isn't nearly as tough because of it. Haloti Ngata looks like a shade of his former self and there is nothing next to him. Rankins gives Detroit that quick, disruptive, penetrating undertackle that they desperately need up front. Since Detroit never drafts an offensive tackle they desperately need, I'd look for them to also consider receivers here.

017. Denver Broncos | Paxton Lynch, QB, Memphis (f/ATL)
The Broncos can't feel easy about their quarterback situation, and with a gauntlet for Lynch to fall through yet they can't sit on their laurels. The Broncos come up to Atlanta's spot ahead of Buffalo and New York, giving up 31 along with their 2nd round pick #63, and 3rd round pick #94. The Broncos have the opportunity to let Lynch learn behind Sanchez until he's ready to take over. The Falcons are an easy trade partner, as they lack picks and have a front office willing to make deals.

018. Indianapolis Colts | Darron Lee, OLB/ILB, Ohio State
D'Qwell Jackson continues to be one of the league's best inside linebackers, but there is nothing next to him. While the pass rush needs improvement, along with the rest of the defense for that matter, the Colts have to find an athletic cover linebacker to take pressure off the secondary. Lee simply represents the best value on the board and fills a position of need.

019. Buffalo Bills | Leonard Floyd, OLB, Georgia
The Bills will certainly look to replace Mario Williams, who sloughed off last season anyhow, as they continue morphing into Rex Ryan's 3-4 base defense. Floyd is a guy that can bend the edge opposite Jerry Hughes as a pass rusher. Floyd comes in ready to play, having been in the same type of scheme at Georgia.

020. New York Jets | Jack Conklin, OT, Michigan State
The Jets signed Ryan Clady, but he has trouble staying healthy. Additionally, New York just can't allow Breno Giacomini to continue to start at RT. Conklin can come in and immediately man the right side and can flip to the left if something happens to Clady. While the defense has serious deficiencies at OLB and ILB, they'll have to be addressed later on or with low-tier free agents for now. With the first round worth QBs off the board and no real draft ammunition to move up, they'll wait to address that position or continue to hope like hell they can re-sign Fitzpatrick.

021. Washington Redskins | Andrew Billings, DT, Baylor
The Redskins need a rock at NT in the middle of their defense, especially after letting Terrance Knighton walk. Billings is a big, thick man that can occupy blockers and push the pocket with his good initial quickness. Billings' squatty build and play strength bring back memories of Casey Hampton in Pittsburgh.

022. Houston Texans | Corey Coleman, WR, Baylor
While a DE to play opposite J.J. Watt could be in play here, the Texans need another receiver to take pressure off of DeAndre Hopkins. Apparently the Texans love Corey Coleman and they should. Coleman's play-making abilities and explosive athleticism will keep defenses honest and keep double-coverage off of Hopkins. Coleman should also force Cecil Shorts to the slot where he is a much better player.

023. Carolina Panthers | William Jackson III, CB, Houston
The Panthers pulled off one of the most intersting moves of the offseason by pulling their franchise tender of Josh Norman. They went from a stud and nothing else to, well, just newly signed Brandon Boykin who is best as a slot defender. The Panthers have to make a move for one of the top corners. I have Carolina moving up to get ahead of Pittsburgh, Kansas City, and so forth, giving up 30 along with their 3rd round pick #93 and a 2017 5th round pick. Jackson is among the tops in this draft as an all-around cover corner.

024. Cincinnati Bengals | Jarran Reed, DT/DE, Alabama
The Bengals have a solid football team without too many glaring holes, but they do need to find the heir to Domata Peko as he showed signs of regression last year and will turn 32 during the 2016 season. While receiver or safety could be in play here, it will be difficult for the Bengals to pass on such a quality player.

025. Pittsburgh Steelers | Mackenzie Alexander, CB, Clemson
The entire football world knows of the Steelers' woes at corner last season and they look less promising heading into the draft. Pittsburgh needs to take the top coverage player on their board and move forward. Alexander is a physical pass defender that fits well with what the Steelers like to do defensively. Pittsburgh was well represented at Alexander's pro day, including head coach Mike Tomlin personally speaking to him. Nose tackle could also be in play here.

026. Seattle Seahawks | Jason Spriggs, OT, Indiana
After letting their long-time stalwart at left tackle walk this offseason, the Seahawks are pretty well locked into addressing the situation in the draft. That is, unless Seattle wants to peel their star QB off the turf every game this year. Spriggs is an athletic player that can man the left side. While he might have some growing pains as he gets stronger, there is no doubting the ability is there for Spriggs to be a franchise left tackle in this league.

027. Green Bay Packers | Noah Spence, DE/OLB, Western Kentucky
The Packers did re-sign Nick Perry, but he's more of a rotational third pass rusher. Julius Peppers is 35 years old so that Pack can't expect another top season from him. Spence is an incredible value at 27 if he's actually cleaned up his life, as he's likely the draft's best pass rusher. Spence has proven at both Ohio State and Western Kentucky that he can bring heat off the edge, and will be a solid compliment to Clay Matthews.

028. Kansas City Chiefs | Artie Burns, CB, Miami
The Chiefs don't really have any glaring needs on the team, but they could stand to upgrade some position groups. Cornerback happens to be a spot where they could add another ballhawk opposite Marcus Peters. With two players that can play the football on the boundary, teams will need to be extra careful throwing the football and any hesitation plays into KCs very solid pass rush. The Chiefs may be the single most difficult team in the draft to predict, as they could also go for a defensive or offensive lineman, or even a receiver this early.

029. Arizona Cardinals | Ryan Kelly, OC, Alabama
The Cardinals went deep into the playoffs last year and are poised to do so again with their talent, so they don't have too many holes. While their offensive line is fairly strong, the Cards shouldn't go into 2016 with AQ Shipley as their starter at center again. Kelly is an absolute rock that can man the inside of a line for a decade, and is the type of smart, physical player that coaches love.

030. Minnesota Vikings | Will Fuller, WR, Notre Dame (f/CAR)
The Vikings have always shown a love for speed on the outside in their passing attack and they desperately need a deep threat opposite Stefon Diggs. Fuller is a game-breaking type of player that can take it to the house on any play. Fuller and Diggs will help open up everything underneath for Adrian Peterson, Jarius Wright, and Kyle Rudolph.

031. Atlanta Falcons | Josh Doctson, WR, TCU (f/DEN)
The Falcons offense took a dive last season, due in large part to Roddy White falling off a cliff athletically. Atlanta desperately needs a compliment to Julio Jones to open their passing attack up, and they could spend multiple picks on pass catchers. Doctson is a sure-handed, number-two type that can keep the chains moving and keep Atlanta's defense off the field more.

Bowser
04-26-2016, 11:28 PM
Prepare for Pestilence shit bomb for having us pass on Will Fuller for Artie Burns....

And IF we do go corner, and IF Alexander and Jackson are both off the board, I bet we do grab Artie Burns. Seems like a Dorsey kind of pick.

Chief Northman
04-26-2016, 11:47 PM
If Dorsey trades up, I think he targets Lynch or whom they perceive to be the best wide receiver. If trades seem unreasonable, I predict he will let the defensive talent fall to him. My darkhorse pick is Karl Joseph out of West Virginia. Lots of versatility with this player would appeal to Sutton and how he uses his scheme. I don't buy that Fleming and the bargain bin signings of Wilson/Brown cut the mustard here.
Other guys that would draw the attention of Dorsey I believe who would fit this role could be the likes of Darron Lee and possibly TJ Green.
Dorsey has found quality secondary players in the middle rounds. I do not think corner is going to be the first priority position drafted by the Chiefs for this reason.

DaneMcCloud
04-26-2016, 11:57 PM
I think Vonn Bell is a better choice than Burns at #28 but I wouldn't be upset with his selection.

Whitehair is better value, IMO, as well.

A trade up is the best tack from my POV.

Couch-Potato
04-27-2016, 06:24 AM
"The Chiefs don't really have any glaring needs on the team, but they could stand to upgrade some position groups."

Well put.

CleveSteve
04-27-2016, 08:39 AM
I'd be very happy with a trade down where the Browns still end up with Treadwell obviously. I hope the Browns would talk to the Chiefs about 28/32 swap if Doctson were still available as you have here. I wouldn't be surprised to see the Saints move up to 8 but in my mock it was for Bosa.

Saul Good
04-27-2016, 08:46 AM
If Alexander is off the board, I'd take Doctson.

Bowser
04-27-2016, 08:56 AM
If Alexander is off the board, I'd take Doctson.

It would be hard to pass on him, for sure, but I get the feeling they aren't looking WR with the additions of Rod Streater and Mike Williams. I think they SHOULD, I just don't think they will.

Chief Northman
04-27-2016, 09:32 AM
It would be hard to pass on him, for sure, but I get the feeling they aren't looking WR with the additions of Rod Streater and Mike Williams. I think they SHOULD, I just don't think they will.

These guys are competing for the #4 or #5 receiver position.

Williams is essentially this year's version of D'arick Rogers.......

the Talking Can
04-27-2016, 09:41 AM
chiefs will have lots of interesting options, a perk of not having any screaming needs

i'm not trading up unless it's for a QB

i could burns, butler, or yeah a wr....

DaneMcCloud
04-27-2016, 09:50 AM
chiefs will have lots of interesting options, a perk of not having any screaming needs

i'm not trading up unless it's for a QB

i could burns, butler, or yeah a wr....

Or Whitehair, which would fill the hole at left guard for the next 5 years

O.city
04-27-2016, 09:52 AM
Or Whitehair, which would fill the hole at left guard for the next 5 years

I've kind of talked myself into a guard.

I think I'd like to see a guard and corner round 1 and 2. Or guard aND dl.

DaneMcCloud
04-27-2016, 09:53 AM
These guys are competing for the #4 or #5 receiver position.

Williams is essentially this year's version of D'arick Rogers.......

Both Streater and Williams have achieved far greater success than any WR currently on the team, save Jeremy Maclin.

IF either player is able to perform at their previous levels, Wilson & Conley are the #3 & #4, maybe even 5 & 6.

DaneMcCloud
04-27-2016, 09:54 AM
I've kind of talked myself into a guard.

I think I'd like to see a guard and corner round 1 and 2. Or guard aND dl.

I'm good with any combo of guard, cornerback, safety and DE/DT.

All four of those positions need to be addressed but I'm not really concerned about the order in which they're addressed because this draft is deep with possibilities.

RunKC
04-27-2016, 10:21 AM
I think the Chiefs will take Artie Burns since Vernon Butler will be gone. He's got elite metrics and has grown up a lot due to what he's gone through. He's a Sean Smith type of guy who didn't have great coaching at Miami, but still had the most INT's of anyone there since Sean Taylor. This coaching staff gets the best out of the DB's and I think he's in a great position with Gaines starting ahead of him early.

Round 2 is a G IMO, and I think there's a ton of value at our pick. Caleb Benenoch, Christian Westerman, Evan Boehm (who they seem to really like and is underrated) and it's absolutely the right pick.

People keep saying "wait til the mid rounds for a G. Fuck that. What the hell has it gotten us? LDT is "pretty good" after time to develop and Fulton is a disaster at G. Reid has played one game at RG so I doubt he's anything more than a swing tackle/backup at this point.
It's time to learn from 2003. Build the fucking OL up and let's roll. The proof is there supporting this. Jeff Allen was a very good G last year when he wasn't injured and the entire offense was better when he was in.
The OL collapse cost us HFA. It was a catastrophe that got us killed in the first month of the season.

We've got an ascending LT, a top RT and a legit top 10 C. Fix LG and finally put this OL disaster that we've seen for 2 years to bed.

saphojunkie
04-27-2016, 11:27 AM
I would be hard-pressed to pass on Doctson there. I think he's a perfect scheme fit.

Having said that, every mock that I've tried to do has netted me a good receiver later compared to the CB I would be getting. You might have to draft this way.

ChiefsCountry
04-27-2016, 11:38 AM
Nkemdiche should be the pick.

SAUTO
04-27-2016, 11:40 AM
Nkemdiche should be the pick.

Fuck that. Dumbass, snitch, smokes fake weed.

Fuck that guy

O.city
04-27-2016, 01:28 PM
I'm good with any combo of guard, cornerback, safety and DE/DT.

All four of those positions need to be addressed but I'm not really concerned about the order in which they're addressed because this draft is deep with possibilities.

Whitehair seems like one of those picks that fans won't like it will look back in 5 years and end up being one of the better picks in the draft

CleveSteve
04-27-2016, 01:32 PM
Pick Team PLAYER POS. SCHOOL Trade Details
1 LA Jared Goff QB California
2 PHI Carson Wentz QB North Dakota State
3 SD Laremy Tunsil OT Ole Miss
4 DAL Joey Bosa DE Ohio State
5 TEN Jalen Ramsey S Florida State JAX #5 for TEN #15, #45, #76
6 BAL D. Buckner DE Oregon
7 SF Paxton Lynch QB Memphis
8 OAK Myles Jack OLB UCLA CLE #8, #77 for OAK #14, #44, #114
9 MIA Ezekiel Elliott RB Ohio State TB #9, #183 for MIA #13, #73