PDA

View Full Version : Chiefs Draft Grade

kccrow
04-30-2016, 08:44 PM
If you don't like reading draft grades, stop here, click close.

Moving on, going with my immediate thoughts...

2.37 - Chris Jones, DE, Mississippi State - A-
Moving down netted bad value from a trade chart perspective, but good value from a player acquisition standpoint. Jones was a borderline 1st round prospect and flashes dominant abilities at times. If the Chiefs can get this kid to play 100% all of the time, he's got serious potential to be one of the top 3-4 DE's in the NFL.

3.74 - KeiVarae Russell, CB, Notre Dame - A
Yet another move down was seriously questionable, but the Chiefs got great trade value to make up for their round 1 trade. Russell was the best CB in college football before academic issues and a broken leg caused him to miss significant time. Russell came back and also performed well at FS. This kid has the ability to be a lock down CB in the NFL.

4.105 - Parker Ehinger, OG, Cincinnati - C
With one of their acquired picks from trading, the Chiefs certainly surprised by taking Ehinger. Ehinger doesn't look to have the ability from an athletic standpoint to back up left tackle and might not have enough to even be a right tackle. Additionally, might be too long to be very functional at guard, although he does show good knee bend. Ehinger is a developmental guy as he doesn't have enough strength to be a day one contributor. In my opinion, a two-round reach.

4.106 - Eric Murray, CB, Minnesota - B+
With another acquired pick from trades, the Chiefs got a good player in Eric Murray as he excels in coverage. The problem with Murray is that he lacks ball skills. Of course, Sean Smith lacked ball skills as well. The Chiefs have stacked their defensive backfield, after losing Smith to free agency, with guys that can stick in coverage.

4.126 - Demarcus Robinson, WR, Florida - C
The Chiefs took a good looking slot guy here in Robinson, showing outstanding lateral agility and quick twitch traits to gain immediate separation on underneath routes. Robinson doesn't have elite long speed, but he has tremendous value in a specific role. The problem with Robinson isn't his on-field production as much as his off-field mistakes. If Robinson can stay away from the weed, the Chiefs stole themselves a day 2 player on day 3. Based on his history, that's a big if.

5.162 - Kevin Hogan, QB, Stanford - B-
I'm a big fan of continually cycling the QB position looking for improvements to the backups and potential for a long-term guy. Hogan has a ton of traits you like, including the ability to make NFL throws, good athleticism, and a high IQ. Hogan's also played in a pro-style offense, keeping that learning curve to a minimum. The problems with Hogan are with his mechanics and footwork, where he is insanely sloppy and has a hitch in his delivery like Phillip Rivers. If the Chiefs coaching staff can fix several of these issues, they got themselves a steal.

5.165 - Tyreek Hill, WR, West Alabama - D-
I really don't care how physically gifted a player is, when you choke your pregnant girlfriend I have issues. Hill is solid catching the football and is a decent runner, plus has elite speed and ability to hit a home run play. While Hill could develop into a contributor in the return game and as a receiver, I just don't understand the gamble this early on huge character problems. A De'Anthony Thomas type.

6-178 - D.J. White, CB, Georgia Tech - A
White is a very solid corner that can play press, man, zone, whatever you ask him to do. He's quicker than he is fast, but he's not slow. Makes good plays on the ball and is a fundamentally sound tackler. Not alot not to like about White, but he is on the shorter side. His toughness and tackling ability make him an easy bet to be a nickle/slot defender or free safety type in Bob Sutton's defense.

6-203 - Dadi Nicolas, LB, Virginia Tech - F
Nicolas is severely undersized to stay at DE/OLB in the Chiefs 3-4. He also lacks elite athletic traits that you could project being adequate if he gains 30 pounds. Nicolas' best bet is to move to ILB, but he doesn't have outstanding change of direction skills and could face a steep learning curve. About the only thing Nicolas projects to right now is special teams. A big-time head scratcher at best, but it's only a 7th rounder. UDFA Terrance Smith would have been a much better selection here in my opinion.

GPA = 2.48 before adjustments.
Adjustments: +0.30 for net gain in draft picks -0.10 for not taking a 2nd offensive lineman.

Final Grade: B-

Overall, I'm most disappointed with what I feel is a lackluster selection of an O-lineman in Ehinger, passing on very good guards and pass rushers, taking two guys with character flags, and capping it all off with a guy that may not fit at any position in the NFL and if he does it will take 3 years of development before he can make an impact of any sort.

On the plus side, I'm happy the Chiefs got some corners. I think they replace Smith, Fleming, and Cooper on the depth chart at the position. Fleming moved to safety, I see Cooper as a cut. I also like the Chiefs snagging a good DE prospect to help the defensive line rotation, because I wasn't satisfied with the quality of backups. Even if I don't agree with the players, the Chiefs did try to address the passing game and return game, which needed upgrades this year.

As always, I'll cheer on Dorsey's picks and hope for the best.

RunKC
04-30-2016, 11:41 PM
I think you need to look at Nicolas again bro. He's 235 lbs. Only 15 off from a normal OLB. One offseason should fix this.

He got better every year as an edge rusher to 17.5 TFL and 8.5 sacks in 2014 and great production. His coach fucked him and moved him to an interior position which dipped his production last season.

Dude has huge hands and very long arms. He also dominated Ohio State when he was an edge rusher in 2014.
IMO he would have went on day 2 if his coach didn't switch him from an edge rusher to interior last season.

Sandy Vagina
05-01-2016, 06:31 AM
More fair than I expected it to be, unless my memory is off on the melting down that was occurring in live action.

Can't really disagree with any of the assessments, except for the Nicolas one. Looks like good value in the 6th, and what the hell.. worth the wild swing.

Frosty
05-01-2016, 01:57 PM
6-203 - Dadi Nicolas, LB, Virginia Tech - F[/B]
Nicolas is severely undersized to stay at DE/OLB in the Chiefs 3-4. He also lacks elite athletic traits that you could project being adequate if he gains 30 pounds. Nicolas' best bet is to move to ILB, but he doesn't have outstanding change of direction skills and could face a steep learning curve. About the only thing Nicolas projects to right now is special teams. A big-time head scratcher at best, but it's only a 7th rounder. UDFA Terrance Smith would have been a much better selection here in my opinion.

Well, since the Chiefs signed Smith as a FA, I guess it all worked out.

Pasta Little Brioni
05-02-2016, 09:01 AM
Giving a pick that late an F is beyond stupid...especially when your take on the guy is terrible to boot.

L.A. Chieffan
05-02-2016, 03:11 PM
Overall I like the draft but, I think trading down and not getting Jack was a HUGE mistake. Jack is the best player in the draft.

LAC GRADE : B-

BryanBusby
05-02-2016, 04:39 PM
Giving a pick that late an F is beyond stupid...especially when your take on the guy is terrible to boot.
Yeah, seems odd to be angry about a 5th to 7th rounder unless they like drafted a rapist or someone that would beat their pregnant gf.

kccrow
05-02-2016, 05:16 PM

Terrible? The guy isn't that athletic for his size and he needs to gain a minimum of 20 pounds just to hold up at OLB in a 3-4 in the NFL. Ideally, he needs to gain 30 pounds. That's quite a bit to ask of him. How severely will the additional weight affect his already very modest abilities? The kid is an insane project to take on and I severely doubt his ability to be a contributing player on special teams in the mean time, which I expect out of 4th-7th round picks.

And I'm not angry about it either. I just don't like the pick. I don't agree it was a good pick and have graded it the way I feel it will work out.

I'm not in the blind ball-washing club.

Pasta Little Brioni
05-02-2016, 07:21 PM
You baters are weird sumbitches