PDA

View Full Version : Chiefs Late night bullshit: it's been three years, let's grade the 2013 Draft.

Direckshun
05-01-2016, 02:05 AM
T'was Dorsey's first.

Our hearts had been broken by signing Alex Smith, and half the board was engaged in an intense fight over Geno Smith.

Ah, those were the days.

1. OT Eric Fisher, Central Michigan C

I'm giving this a C for now. Fish came on strong at the end of 2015 and played well in the playoffs. If he becomes a reliable left tackle, this grade could get bumped up. He'd have to be an All Pro for me to ever get into "A" range.

3. TE Travis Kelce, Cincinnati A

One of the league's best tight ends, Kelce is super athletic, with elite size and improves every year in blocking.

3. RB Knile Davis, Arkansas D

Injury prone with fumble-itis, his pro career has put those weaknesses front and center, and now he's on the verge of getting cut. It's not all terrible for Davis; when he's run 20+ times as a feature back, he plays well -- his play declines sharply in a committee, though. His play in the playoffs has been very good, with the one exception being the ill-fated fumble that partially cost us the game against New England.

4. ILB Nico Johnson, Alabama D

Not real sure what happened with Nico. He languished on the depth chart behind Akeem Jordan in 2013 and couldn't get on the field when Joe Mays and Derrick. Johnson both went down in 2014, losing time to James-Michael Johnson and Josh Mauga, before getting cut. He now is JAG for the Bengals, I believe.

5. S Sanders Commings, Georgia F+

Bad luck. Played two actual snaps for us but couldn't stay healthy. On those two plays, he planted a RB on his ass. Too bad.

6. C Eric Kush C+

Looked pretty good in preseason, but could never ascend to get a starting job. When he was in line for one, the Chiefs opted to cut him and draft Mitch Morse with a 2nd instead.

6. FB Braden Wilson, Kansas State F

Wilson never even made it to the 53. The Chiefs traded for Anthony Sherman within days.

7. DE Mike Catapano, Princeton C

I still think Catapano can play. His Princeton tape was so boss, and he played pretty well when he was on the field. The Chiefs just kept bringing in talent at DE, though, and Big Cat couldn't break through.

OldSchool
05-01-2016, 02:10 AM
Pretty much average as far as just the draft goes. He netted two starters with the picks he had. Both have the talent to become rated among the better starters at their positions (Fisher is kind of iffy there but Kelce is already a top 10 TE, even with his flaws).

Pasta Little Brioni
05-01-2016, 05:43 AM
It's all relative to what was available.

chiefzilla1501
05-01-2016, 07:11 AM
Maybe a little harsh. Fisher has turned out to be a solid pick. I hate taking a guy like him at 1.1 but given the shitty players at 1.1, not bad. I wouldn't give knile a D. He may not be in our future plans but he's been plenty useful for where he was drafted. Quality kick returner including a key td return against Houston and several games where he cranked out 90-110 yard games in charles' absence behind a terrible ol. His fumblitis sucks but he's been a much better player than he gets credit for

BlackHelicopters
05-01-2016, 07:46 AM
Didn't we draft Kate Beckinsale in 2013?

Quesadilla Joe
05-01-2016, 07:57 AM
I think the Chiefs did better than most teams in the 2013 draft, getting the first pick in the draft helped for sure, but that was just terrible draft all around.

Dinny Bossa Nova
05-01-2016, 07:57 AM
Thread incomplete. Any discussion on CP of grading the 2013 draft MUST include a grade on this guy.

Eleazar
05-01-2016, 08:08 AM
If you can't see the steady improvement in Fisher and think he's a C you're a retard

Why Not?
05-01-2016, 08:13 AM
Incomplete without Sandcastle grade.

Buehler445
05-01-2016, 08:14 AM
That's right about where I'd put it.

Maybe Fish is too low since the first round of the draft was dung.

Prison Bitch
05-01-2016, 08:30 AM
Why would Davis get the same grade Nico Johnson did? Davis has at least contributed. He scored a TD in a playoff game. He's like a B, given where he was selected

nychief
05-01-2016, 08:31 AM
Knile is a elite KR... but Eric Kush gets a higher grade?

Deberg_1990
05-01-2016, 08:33 AM
2013 draft pool was garbage.

I'm not sure I've ever seen a weaker draft class in my lifetime

Eleazar
05-01-2016, 08:40 AM
Catapano has appeared in a grand total of 3 games since leaving Kansas City. Kush has appeared in 7 games, and was on 4 different rosters last year.

Kush and Catapano were CP heroes and nothing more.

RunKC
05-01-2016, 08:46 AM
We were 11-1 with Fisher at LT last year and he shut out out Von Miller, Chandler Jones, JJ Watt and Ziggy Ansah. He was as solid as you could be IMO.

I think he should be a B.

O.city
05-01-2016, 08:47 AM
Fisher has improved but he was awful in the beginning. As of right now, c is about right

Deberg_1990
05-01-2016, 08:49 AM
Joekel, Joekel, Joekel!!!

Sassy Squatch
05-01-2016, 08:55 AM
Joekel, Joekel, Joekel!!!
I kind of miss that troll with the teddy bear avatar. I think his name was Bk4ckmon or something like that. Goddamn, he could rule this place into a frenzy.

Eleazar
05-01-2016, 08:56 AM
We were 11-1 with Fisher at LT last year and he shut out out Von Miller, Chandler Jones, JJ Watt and Ziggy Ansah. He was as solid as you could be IMO.

I think he should be a B.

He was always going to be a project. They picked the player with the higher ceiling, and he is right on track.

wazu
05-01-2016, 09:00 AM
If you can't see the steady improvement in Fisher and think he's a C you're a retard

If not for steady improvement, his grade would be far worse. He has not lived up to #1 overall.

notorious
05-01-2016, 09:03 AM
Knile should get a B-/C+ for contributing decently for a 4th rounder.

CapsLockKey
05-01-2016, 09:52 AM
Unless a guy has an injury history in college, I think it's harsh to give an F for a pick that never had a chance to play due to health reasons. DNF or Incomplete would be better than a letter grade.

Hoover
05-01-2016, 10:31 AM
Catapano gets a C because why? Meanwhile Knile Davis has only rushed for 11 TD, and is a damn good special teamer. You know like when he took the Kickoff in a playoff game back for a TD.

This is just stupid.

Easy 6
05-01-2016, 10:41 AM
Maybe a little harsh. Fisher has turned out to be a solid pick. I hate taking a guy like him at 1.1 but given the shitty players at 1.1, not bad. I wouldn't give knile a D. He may not be in our future plans but he's been plenty useful for where he was drafted. Quality kick returner including a key td return against Houston and several games where he cranked out 90-110 yard games in charles' absence behind a terrible ol. His fumblitis sucks but he's been a much better player than he gets credit for

I would agree with all of this

It took a long time to start seeing some payoff from Fisher, but finally looks to be on track as a long term answer at LT

And yeah, Knile takes more abuse than he should, the guy has had some nice games

jd1020
05-01-2016, 10:49 AM
Knile Davis was 10th out of 13 qualified kick returners last season. Where is this notion of him being an elite KR coming from?

Ming the Merciless
05-01-2016, 10:49 AM

he was a 1 overall

that pick is a c at best

until he actually proves he is anything better a straight up 75 (right now, in this moment)

**** his 'ceiling'

DaneMcCloud
05-01-2016, 11:20 AM
he was a 1 overall

that pick is a c at best

until he actually proves he is anything better a straight up 75 (right now, in this moment)

**** his 'ceiling'

He's much better than a C as he relates to the draft class, which was truly awful.

The mere fact that Dorsey selected a still ascending left tackle and an elite tight end in the third round is nothing short of astonishing.

DaneMcCloud
05-01-2016, 11:22 AM
3. RB Knile Davis, Arkansas D

LMAO

The mere fact that you give a late 3rd rounder, who's scored 15 TD's in his career as a running back, receiver and kick returner, perfectly illustrates your lack of understanding of NFL personnel.

chiefzilla1501
05-01-2016, 11:24 AM
Knile Davis was 10th out of 13 qualified kick returners last season. Where is this notion of him being an elite KR coming from?

He was also #3 in 2014 and averaged 32.1 yards in 10 attempts in 2013. Elite may be a strong word. But he's a very good kick returner and has made an impact.

He was ranked 10th in a position where one 100 yard return could swing your average up several yards. Telling that 6 of the top 10 had a long of 100+ as their season long. Davis' 3-year average is 27.8. That's pretty damn good.

DaneMcCloud
05-01-2016, 11:26 AM

The blocking was shit last year.

He's not "Elite" but he's pretty goddamned effective.

And I don't even like the guy and cringe every time the ball is in his hands.

keg in kc
05-01-2016, 11:28 AM
I'd actually give Fisher a C with respect to his draft position. Maybe stretch that to a B- if I'm feeling generous. Kelce is an obvious A and I think Davis would be another C but unlike Fisher his stock is dropping. The rest of the class is an F. I don't think you can give anything else to players who never contributed here in any meaningful way.

'Hamas' Jenkins
05-01-2016, 11:32 AM
It was a subpar draft. They had the #1 overall pick and left with one really good TE and a mediocre starting LT.

It certainly wasn't a disaster, but it left a lot to be desired.

staylor26
05-01-2016, 11:36 AM
At least 28 of the 32 teams, probably more, would've taken Joeckel over Fisher. That alone makes the Fisher pick a B with the possibility of an A if he takes the next step in 2016.

Can you fucking imagine if we took Joeckel?

'Hamas' Jenkins
05-01-2016, 11:42 AM
At least 28 of the 32 teams, probably more, would've taken Joeckel over Fisher. That alone makes the Fisher pick a B with the possibility of an A if he takes the next step in 2016.

Can you fucking imagine if we took Joeckel?

That's a false dichotomy. The choices weren't Fisher/Joeckel. It was Fisher vs. everyone else in the draft. There were 9 players from the first round who made the Pro Bowl, six who weren't interior lineman or who made it for ST.

Fisher wasn't a disaster of a pick, but it's certainly nowhere near a B/A. That's pure homerism.

Bump
05-01-2016, 11:46 AM
well we got one gem of a TE and a serviceable LT, he did get better last year so maybe he will improve again, its contract year right? It was really bad luck getting #1 that year. And knile davis had some good moments here, but just fell off the depth chart but was still a solid returner.

staylor26
05-01-2016, 11:50 AM
That's a false dichotomy. The choices weren't Fisher/Joeckel. It was Fisher vs. everyone else in the draft. There were 9 players from the first round who made the Pro Bowl, six who weren't interior lineman or who made it for ST.

Fisher wasn't a disaster of a pick, but it's certainly nowhere near a B/A. That's pure homerism.

Ok Dion Jordan?

Dee Millner?

Tavon Austin?

Barkevious Mingo?

Chance Warmack?

Justin Cooper?

You called this a subpar draft. That is a ****ing understatement. The top 10 was a mess and other than Ezekiel Ansah there wasn't one guy that would've been a better option. Ansah was also already 24 years old with little experience (not to mention not a fit at 3-4 OLB), so he had no shot at going #1 overall. I'd actually still take Fisher over him today for us. I'd also take Fisher over Lane Johnson, but that one is close.

To point to a guy outside of the top 10 (say DeAndre Hopkins) and say that's the guy we should've taken is completely ridiculous. The guys I mentioned were essentially our choices.

'Hamas' Jenkins
05-01-2016, 01:40 PM
Ok Dion Jordan?

Dee Millner?

Tavon Austin?

Barkevious Mingo?

Chance Warmack?

Justin Cooper?

You called this a subpar draft. That is a ****ing understatement. The top 10 was a mess and other than Ezekiel Ansah there wasn't one guy that would've been a better option. Ansah was also already 24 years old with little experience (not to mention not a fit at 3-4 OLB), so he had no shot at going #1 overall. I'd actually still take Fisher over him today for us. I'd also take Fisher over Lane Johnson, but that one is close.

To point to a guy outside of the top 10 (say DeAndre Hopkins) and say that's the guy we should've taken is completely ridiculous. The guys I mentioned were essentially our choices.

There were people on here before the draft arguing that we should take Sheldon Richardson. It's not revisionist history at all.

staylor26
05-01-2016, 01:42 PM
There were people on here before the draft arguing that we should take Sheldon Richardson. It's not revisionist history at all.

ROFL

I was one of them, but there was no ****ing way this team was taking him #1 overall with those character concerns. You gotta be ****ing kidding me. Those concerns STILL haven't been alleviated.

And don't give me that shit that we took guys with character concerns the past two years. This was the #1 overall pick and the first choice this regime had. Completely different ball game.

ILChief
05-01-2016, 01:46 PM
Just pretend Kelce was the first rounder and fisher was the second and it's all good

ILChief
05-01-2016, 01:47 PM
I think the D for Knile is a bit harsh.

tmax63
05-01-2016, 01:55 PM
Low B range. couple of above average starters, couple of part timers/trade bait and couple who didn't pan out. Considering the track the Chiefs have taken from picking 1st to picking 28th this year; something must be working.

jd1020
05-01-2016, 01:59 PM
I think the D for Knile is a bit harsh.

Why? D is technically a passing grade, you just cant advance to the next level with that grade. He's got one of the worst YPC in the league. His fumble rate is god awful. And he's unlikely to finish out his rookie contract in KC. The majority of his touchdowns came in goal line situations after Charles put the offense on his back for 80 yards and what big plays he did have came when the blocking was absolutely perfect and allowed him to run in a straight line, because that's all he can do. His time to show what he could do was last year after Charles went down for the season and he quickly became the 3rd option. D is a perfect grade from where I'm sitting.

'Hamas' Jenkins
05-01-2016, 02:01 PM
ROFL

I was one of them, but there was no ****ing way this team was taking him #1 overall with those character concerns. You gotta be ****ing kidding me. Those concerns STILL haven't been alleviated.

And don't give me that shit that we took guys with character concerns the past two years. This was the #1 overall pick and the first choice this regime had. Completely different ball game.

So taking a guy who was kicked off his team with the #1 overall pick last year and three guys who were suspended or kicked off of their teams this year is irrelevant because Fisher was taken chronologically before them?

I'm going to break something down for you: if John Dorsey cared about character he wouldn't have drafted the players he did. He didn't avoid Richardson because of his character, he drafted Fisher because Albert was leaving the next year.

staylor26
05-01-2016, 02:15 PM
So taking a guy who was kicked off his team with the #1 overall pick last year and three guys who were suspended or kicked off of their teams this year is irrelevant because Fisher was taken chronologically before them?

I'm going to break something down for you: if John Dorsey cared about character he wouldn't have drafted the players he did. He didn't avoid Richardson because of his character, he drafted Fisher because Albert was leaving the next year.

Marcus Peters was the #1 overall pick? News to me.

We're talking about the #1 overall pick for a new regime taking over a 2-14 team and trying to change the entire culture of the organization.

That's completely different than starting to take chances once you've accomplished that and established yourself as a winning football team with a great lockeroom full of YOUR guys who YOU trust.

The fact that I even have to explain this is quite sad.

But then again I'm speaking to the guy that knew everything there was to know about Mitch Morse and was convinced that pick sucked because he's a Mizzou fan who watched him for years. It took me 6-7 games to see that was a great pick.

Also, the same guy that answered my question of what starter did the Chiefs pass up on Thurday night with Robert Nkemdiche. A guy that wouldn't even start on this team, is very similar to the guy we took at 37 in terms of upside, and plays the same exact position (without as good of production).

You're supposedly one of the more knowledgeable fans on this board, but I don't see it. You just like to bitch because you're probably a close minded, arrogant, miserable **** living off of a reputation about being right on past regimes. It's cowardly to keep doubling down on your negative bullshit with a regime that is clearly different from those in the past because you're so scared to be positive and end up being wrong.

Dante84
05-01-2016, 02:36 PM
2013 was goddamned terrible fucking draft class across the board. I'd be curious how our group from that year compared to everyone else's group.

I still trust Dorsey.

kccrow
05-01-2016, 02:36 PM
1. OT Eric Fisher, Central Michigan B

Has become a relatively solid starter at left tackle and has handle quite a bit of bouncing around. Last year, Fisher showed he could be a mid-level left tackle in this league at worst.

2. Traded for QB Alex Smith A-

The Chiefs didn't have a starting QB worth a dime and the draft class didn't have one either. Smith has steadily improved in Andy Reid's offense, including consecutive years with over 90 Quarterback Rating. Smith hitting the 4,000 yard mark and 25 TD's would make this an A for me.

Has become a top 5 TE in the NFL. While he's had some growing pains and is prone to fumbling, he's a difference maker.

3. RB Knile Davis, Arkansas C-

The 3rd round is generally the sweet spot to draft RBs, so I'm downgrading Davis more than if he'd have been a pick later in the draft. Davis has been subpar running the football, dancing too much in the backfield. He should be a one cut and go runner with that size and speed. He's also way too prone to fumbles. If not for his kick return ability, this pick would be graded much worse.

4. ILB Nico Johnson, Alabama D-

Career backup. Isn't even a special teams standout, which you'd at least expect from a 4th round pick.

5. S Sanders Commings, Georgia F

You can't play from the tub.

6. C Eric Kush D+

Backup for a couple years then cut. At least served as a backup as a 6th round pick.

Hard to be a gradeable player if you can't make the team.

7. DE Mike Catapano, Princeton D+

Backup for a couple years then cut. At least served as a backup as a 7th round pick.

Overall Grade: C

John Dorsey got more than what you'd expect from a normal draft if you count the Alex Smith trade, 3 starters and a contributor, but I'd expect at least a bit more on the special teams end with the 4th-7th round. Taking away Smith doesn't make the draft look quite as rosy and the percentage of hits drops down to well below the average you'd like to see.

chiefzilla1501
05-01-2016, 02:39 PM
Why? D is technically a passing grade, you just cant advance to the next level with that grade. He's got one of the worst YPC in the league. His fumble rate is god awful. And he's unlikely to finish out his rookie contract in KC. The majority of his touchdowns came in goal line situations after Charles put the offense on his back for 80 yards and what big plays he did have came when the blocking was absolutely perfect and allowed him to run in a straight line, because that's all he can do. His time to show what he could do was last year after Charles went down for the season and he quickly became the 3rd option. D is a perfect grade from where I'm sitting.

Davis became a lower option because West and ware played outstanding. Not because Davis wasn't good. He's still a quality backup for many teams. His lack of playing time isn't about him being terrible, it's more a credit to Dorsey for finding several rbs who ended up being outstanding.

jd1020
05-01-2016, 02:41 PM
Davis became a lower option because West and ware played outstanding. Not because Davis wasn't good. He's still a quality backup for many teams. His lack of playing time isn't about him being terrible

Do you pride yourself on being wrong? Davis WAS the backup. He lost his job because he is BAD.

Eleazar
05-01-2016, 03:31 PM
1. OT Eric Fisher, Central Michigan B

Has become a relatively solid starter at left tackle and has handle quite a bit of bouncing around. Last year, Fisher showed he could be a mid-level left tackle in this league at worst.

2. Traded for QB Alex Smith A-

The Chiefs didn't have a starting QB worth a dime and the draft class didn't have one either. Smith has steadily improved in Andy Reid's offense, including consecutive years with over 90 Quarterback Rating. Smith hitting the 4,000 yard mark and 25 TD's would make this an A for me.

Has become a top 5 TE in the NFL. While he's had some growing pains and is prone to fumbling, he's a difference maker.

3. RB Knile Davis, Arkansas C-

The 3rd round is generally the sweet spot to draft RBs, so I'm downgrading Davis more than if he'd have been a pick later in the draft. Davis has been subpar running the football, dancing too much in the backfield. He should be a one cut and go runner with that size and speed. He's also way too prone to fumbles. If not for his kick return ability, this pick would be graded much worse.

4. ILB Nico Johnson, Alabama D-

Career backup. Isn't even a special teams standout, which you'd at least expect from a 4th round pick.

5. S Sanders Commings, Georgia F

You can't play from the tub.

6. C Eric Kush D+

Backup for a couple years then cut. At least served as a backup as a 6th round pick.

Hard to be a gradeable player if you can't make the team.

7. DE Mike Catapano, Princeton D+

Backup for a couple years then cut. At least served as a backup as a 7th round pick.

Overall Grade: C

John Dorsey got more than what you'd expect from a normal draft if you count the Alex Smith trade, 3 starters and a contributor, but I'd expect at least a bit more on the special teams end with the 4th-7th round. Taking away Smith doesn't make the draft look quite as rosy and the percentage of hits drops down to well below the average you'd like to see.

To really grade a draft overall, the rounds should be weighted from first to last, so this draft would be an A for me, because I think Fisher is a B/B+ right now, and is still developing.

Really, if you subtracted the CP butthurt and everything else, and you looked at what Fisher is today - his play in the 2015 season after Reid stopped moving him around and just let him play his position - he was bordering on a top 10 LT. And we have not seen his ceiling yet.

Ming the Merciless
05-01-2016, 03:42 PM
He's much better than a C as he relates to the draft class, which was truly awful.

The mere fact that Dorsey selected a still ascending left tackle and an elite tight end in the third round is nothing short of astonishing.

That may be true, I didnt factor that in at all.

Im just comparing him to other 1st overall picks throughout history...

He isnt a bust...he wasnt a home run. If he gets better , I could revise his grade. If he gets worse, I could revise his grade. From me he is solid, average for 1st OVERALL pick in the nfl draft......I dont think thats knocking him..or unreasonable. If you want to grade him up because 2013 was so terrible thats cool.....no argument from me.

BigRedChief
05-01-2016, 05:23 PM
It's all relative to what was available.Yep, we had the bad luck to have the #1 pick in one of the worst drafts in a long time, especially with top level talent.

rico
05-01-2016, 05:23 PM
Just pretend Kelce was the first rounder and fisher was the second and it's all good

Yep.. Exactly what I am thinking.

BigRedChief
05-01-2016, 05:42 PM
Just pretend Kelce was the first rounder and fisher was the second and it's all goodIf you can get a starting LT and a Pro Bowl offensive play-maker type of quality in every draft, you would be in the playoffs every year. Especially in years like that shit for talent 2013 draft.

chiefzilla1501
05-01-2016, 05:47 PM
Do you pride yourself on being wrong? Davis WAS the backup. He lost his job because he is BAD.

Davis lost his job because Charcanderick West and Spencer Ware turned out to be really good. They played like legitimate starters.

I love how you have no idea how to not be so damn extreme in your opinions. Knile Davis wasn't "BAD." He's a backup that got beat by really good RBs. He was a lone feature back in 5 games and we had a 3-2 record (and 2 of those shouldn't have been losses). 2 of those 5 games were 100+ yard games. A 3rd one was a terrific 1st half in a playoff loss where he got injured in the 3Q.

He's had his share of fumble issues. But he was terrific for us in the playoffs twice. And was a big part of why we did fine without Jamaal in the 2013-2014 seasons. Calling that "bad" is an incredible exaggeration. I don't think he's a full-time starter, but he can be a quality backup somewhere.

jd1020
05-01-2016, 05:51 PM
Davis rushed for 2.6 YPC last season. There is no defending that. If he had a qualifying number of carries he would have been the worst rusher in the league by damn near a full yard. He was and is a terrible RB. Get the **** over it.

Fat Elvis
05-01-2016, 05:55 PM
No Geno.

Worst. Draft. Evar.

F------

Deberg_1990
05-01-2016, 06:02 PM
No Geno.

Worst. Draft. Evar.

F------

Heh, funny that almost no one ever mentions EJ Manuel.

Dorsey clowned CP by passing on these two turds

Dinny Bossa Nova
05-01-2016, 06:20 PM
But Geno got dat deep ball doe.

Dinny

chiefzilla1501
05-01-2016, 06:47 PM
Davis rushed for 2.6 YPC last season. There is no defending that. If he had a qualifying number of carries he would have been the worst rusher in the league by damn near a full yard. He was and is a terrible RB. Get the **** over it.

Holy hell. So you're more interested in what he did on limited carries in garbage time than what he did in his 5 starts. You've shown no ability to see anything but extreme hate or extreme like for a player.

When Knile Davis gets a full workload, he wasn't "BAD." He did okay. Behind terrible offensive lines. And he's been a very good kick returner. He is not "bad" by any stretch. He just happens to play on a roster where we have a pro bowler and 2 other legit starting RBs on the roster.

jd1020
05-01-2016, 07:01 PM
Holy hell. So you're more interested in what he did on limited carries in garbage time than what he did in his 5 starts. You've shown no ability to see anything but extreme hate or extreme like for a player.

When Knile Davis gets a full workload, he wasn't "BAD." He did okay. Behind terrible offensive lines. And he's been a very good kick returner. He is not "bad" by any stretch. He just happens to play on a roster where we have a pro bowler and 2 other legit starting RBs on the roster.

If you don't think a career 3.3 YPC is bad then there is no helping you. He's had 2 good games in a 3 year career to go along with a gigantic pile of shit. He's bad. You can't ask him to do anything but run in a straight fucking line. If he has to do any kind of maneuvering he shits down his leg. The quicker you realize this, the less it will hurt when he's cut.

Davis will be lucky to catch on as a KR on some team and an emergency 3rd option RB. No one is going to want some bum who barely averages 3 yards a carry and drops the ball every 30th touch a sprained ankle away from being a featured option in their backfield.

kccrow
05-01-2016, 07:36 PM
To really grade a draft overall, the rounds should be weighted from first to last, so this draft would be an A for me, because I think Fisher is a B/B+ right now, and is still developing.

Really, if you subtracted the CP butthurt and everything else, and you looked at what Fisher is today - his play in the 2015 season after Reid stopped moving him around and just let him play his position - he was bordering on a top 10 LT. And we have not seen his ceiling yet.

I did weight it. I assigned points to each round 7 for a 1st, 6 for 2nd, 5 for 3rd, down to 1 for a 7th. Multiply that by the GPA of each player grade. Total those sums and divided by the total possible points. Excluding Smith, I ended up with a 1.93. Adding Smith a 2.22. I think a C represents my individual grades overall.

I don't expect players in rounds 4-7 to have the same contributions as rounds 1-3. I graded based on that. Very little to no special teams contributions and never filling in as a reserve doesn't equate to a high grade for 4th-7th rounders IMO.

chiefzilla1501
05-01-2016, 07:37 PM
If you don't think a career 3.3 YPC is bad then there is no helping you. He's had 2 good games in a 3 year career to go along with a gigantic pile of shit. He's bad. You can't ask him to do anything but run in a straight ****ing line. If he has to do any kind of maneuvering he shits down his leg. The quicker you realize this, the less it will hurt when he's cut.

Davis will be lucky to catch on as a KR on some team and an emergency 3rd option RB. No one is going to want some bum who barely averages 3 yards a carry and drops the ball every 30th touch a sprained ankle away from being a featured option in their backfield.

He played significant snaps in 5 games.

He played well in 4 of those.
-Rushed for 100+ yards twice
-Was a huge part of the offensive onslaught against Indy in the playoffs (until he got hurt)
-Was a huge part in what should have been a Chase Daniel led win against SD if not for a bullshit missed penalty at the end of the game

And that's not even speaking to his kickoff return duties where he's had a very healthy ~28 yards per kickoff.

But of course all that matters to you is the YPC on his garbage time carries.

I don't care if he's cut. I know he's not as good as the top 3 and I don't see him as anything more than a backup. But your claim that he's "bad" is your typical extreme bullshit.

Direckshun
05-01-2016, 07:45 PM
I believe I endorsed Geno Smith for our first pick, and supported us getting Star Lotulelei if we were that adamantly opposed to QB.

jspchief
05-01-2016, 08:11 PM
Overall grade is a B-

Top 3 picks:
Fisher B+
Kelce A
Davis B-

The rest is a collection of Ds and Fs.

jd1020
05-01-2016, 08:12 PM
But your claim that he's "bad" is your typical extreme bullshit.

Nope. It's just the facts. Every statistic you can point to shows that's he's a shit RB and is directly related to him being 4th string.

The guy has been on the trading block all offseason and no one seems to give a shit about flipping even a 7th for the guy. Not only do the Chiefs see it, but so does everyone else.

Keep holding on to 2 games out of a 3 year career, though.

jspchief
05-01-2016, 08:40 PM
Nope. It's just the facts. Every statistic you can point to shows that's he's a shit RB and is directly related to him being 4th string.

The guy has been on the trading block all offseason and no one seems to give a shit about flipping even a 7th for the guy. Not only do the Chiefs see it, but so does everyone else.

Chiefs got good value out of Davis. He performed well when called on. Great KR and serviceable RB depth. His long term outlook may not be much, he served the team well

oaklandhater
05-01-2016, 08:52 PM
Overall grade is a B-

Top 3 picks:
Fisher B+
Kelce A
Davis B-

The rest is a collection of Ds and Fs.

Giving Davis a B- is such BS dude has fumblitis terrible pick.

chiefzilla1501
05-01-2016, 08:53 PM

You have nothing but wild rumors about how actively the Chiefs have pursued a trade for Knile and what value you're asking for. And again... the Chiefs have 4 starting RBs (including Sherman). THREE. Knile Davis is being shopped because the Chiefs are loaded at RB and they don't need a backup when they have 4 starters.

The statistics don't talk about the shit OL he often ran through. They don't show that 40-50% of his carries were in situations when the team was up or down by 9+ points (yes, I added this up). Many of which are milk the clock situations. How crazy of me to think that starts are more important than garbage time stats. Or to suggest that maybe a guy won't post great stats when he only gets 5 carries a game on a rotational basis vs. establishing a rhythm. Knile has only had 5 games in 3 years where he was given 15+ snaps and primary ball carrier responsibility. Yeah, how silly of me to rely on his starts vs. all his garbage time carries.

oaklandhater
05-01-2016, 08:56 PM
Chiefs got good value out of Davis. He performed well when called on. Great KR and serviceable RB depth. His long term outlook may not be much, he served the team well

http://i67.tinypic.com/2py4abr.jpg

Rain Man
05-01-2016, 09:03 PM
I think the fairest way to evaluate a draft is to look at the picks that occurred immediately afterward, because those are players who were also evaluated as being equivalent or better than the drafted player. Evaluating a draft is not so much a question of "did the player turn out great" as it is, "did the player represent the best value possible in that year at that spot".

Now, one can always point at some 7th round pick who did great and say, "Our third round pick failed!" But the truth is that no team chose to draft that player in the 3rd round, so it's an unfair comparison.

So I'll take a look at our 2013 draft, and compare our pick to the 12 picks that occurred afterward. If we got the best player, we get an A+. Second-best deserves an A. Third-best A-. If we got the 13th-best, that's an F.

First Round.

Who would I take over Eric Fisher? Honestly, none of these guys. Maybe Sheldon Richardson, but he's spiraling out of control. I would give the Chiefs an A and maybe an A+ on this pick, given their choices.

1 1 Kansas City Chiefs Eric Fisher OT Central Michigan MAC [11]
1 2 Jacksonville Jaguars Luke Joeckel OT Texas A&M SEC
1 3 Miami Dolphins Dion Jordan DE Oregon Pac-12 from Oakland [R1 - 1]
1 4 Philadelphia Eagles Lane Johnson OT Oklahoma Big 12
1 5 Detroit Lions Ezekiel Ansah † DE BYU Ind. (FBS)
1 6 Cleveland Browns Barkevious Mingo DE LSU SEC
1 7 Arizona Cardinals Jonathan Cooper G North Carolina ACC
1 8 St. Louis Rams Tavon Austin WR West Virginia Big 12 from Buffalo [R1 - 2]
1 9 New York Jets Dee Milliner CB Alabama SEC
1 10 Tennessee Titans Chance Warmack G Alabama SEC
1 11 San Diego Chargers D. J. Fluker OT Alabama SEC
1 12 Oakland Raiders D. J. Hayden CB Houston C-USA from Miami [R1 - 3]
1 13 New York Jets Sheldon Richardson † DT Missouri SEC from Tampa Bay [R1 - 4]

DaneMcCloud
05-01-2016, 09:12 PM

Your NFL knowledge would fit in a thimble with plenty of room to spare

Rain Man
05-01-2016, 09:12 PM
Third Round:

Lots of productive players here. Mathieu jumps out as perhaps the best pick, along with Kelce. Warford, Logan, McDonald, Williams, and Armstead all appear to be entrenched starters.

I'd put Mathieu, Kelce, and Armstead at the top, which is an A- for the Chiefs.

3 63 Kansas City Chiefs Travis Kelce † TE Cincinnati Big East
3 64 Jacksonville Jaguars Dwayne Gratz CB Connecticut Big East
3 65 Detroit Lions Larry Warford G Kentucky SEC
3 66 Oakland Raiders Sio Moore LB Connecticut Big East
3 67 Philadelphia Eagles Bennie Logan DT LSU SEC
3 68 Cleveland Browns Leon McFadden CB San Diego State MW
3 69 Arizona Cardinals Tyrann Mathieu † CB LSU SEC
3 70 Tennessee Titans Blidi Wreh-Wilson CB Connecticut Big East
3 71 St. Louis Rams T. J. McDonald S USC Pac-12 from Buffalo [R3 - 1]
3 72 New York Jets Brian Winters G Kent State MAC
3 73 Tampa Bay Buccaneers Mike Glennon QB N.C. State ACC
3 74 Dallas Cowboys Terrance Williams WR Baylor Big 12 from Carolina via San Francisco [R3 - 2]
3 75 New Orleans Saints Terron Armstead OT Arkansas–Pine Bluff SWAC

DaneMcCloud
05-01-2016, 09:14 PM

I shudder to think that you're this stupid in real life but then again, you do choose to live in Oakland.

chiefzilla1501
05-01-2016, 09:15 PM
http://i67.tinypic.com/2py4abr.jpg

~28 Yards per kickoff return over 3 years.
Big playoff performer against Indy and a huge playoff kickoff return TD against Houston

Asked to be the primary ballcarrier 5 times in Charles' absence. He should be 5-0 in those starts. And this was during the conservative as hell Alex Smith years 1 & 2 playing behind a really bad offensive line.

oaklandhater
05-01-2016, 09:21 PM
Your NFL knowledge would fit in a thimble with plenty of room to spare

His trade value is so high teams just knocking on our door dane......

Rain Man
05-01-2016, 09:21 PM
4th round - Knile Davis

Okafor and Jenkins are now starters, and I think Duke Williams has made some splashes (but then so has Knile). Schwenke is a starter for half of each season before he gets injured, and Akeem Spence produces a lot as a spot starter. Dion Sims is in a similar role as Knile. I think three of these guys are out of the league (Barkley, Sanders, Boyce).

So Knile is probably a B- or worst case C+, believe it or not. He's made some plays over the years, and a lot of his draft peers haven't.

3* 96 Kansas City Chiefs Knile Davis RB Arkansas SEC
3* 97 Tennessee Titans Zaviar Gooden LB Missouri SEC
4 98 Philadelphia Eagles Matt Barkley QB USC Pac-12 from Jacksonville [R4 - 1]
4 99 Kansas City Chiefs Nico Johnson LB Alabama SEC
4 100 Tampa Bay Buccaneers Akeem Spence DT Illinois Big Ten from Oakland [R4 - 2]
4 101 Jacksonville Jaguars Ace Sanders WR South Carolina SEC from Philadelphia [R4 - 3]
4 102 New England Patriots Josh Boyce WR TCU Big 12 from Detroit via Minnesota [R4 - 4]
4 103 Arizona Cardinals Alex Okafor DE Texas Big 12
4 104 Miami Dolphins Jelani Jenkins LB Florida SEC from Cleveland [R4 - 5]
4 105 Buffalo Bills Duke Williams S Nevada MW
4 106 Miami Dolphins Dion Sims TE Michigan State Big Ten from New York Jets via New Orleans [R4 - 6]
4 107 Tennessee Titans Brian Schwenke C California Pac-12
4 108 Carolina Panthers Edmund Kugbila G Valdosta State Gulf South

oaklandhater
05-01-2016, 09:23 PM
~28 Yards per kickoff return over 3 years.
Big playoff performer against Indy and a huge playoff kickoff return TD against Houston

Asked to be the primary ballcarrier 5 times in Charles' absence. He should be 5-0 in those starts. And this was during the conservative as hell Alex Smith years 1 & 2 playing behind a really bad offensive line.

If he was so good the chiefs wouldn't take a chance on the media shit show that is Tyreek Hill

Rain Man
05-01-2016, 09:26 PM
4th round - Nico Johnson

Okay, Nico is barely hanging on. That puts him ahead of only Barkley, Sanders, and Boyce, and he's in a similar situation to Shamarko Thomas. Throw Bakhtiari in there as an established starter and Nico is probably a D+.

4 99 Kansas City Chiefs Nico Johnson LB Alabama SEC
4 100 Tampa Bay Buccaneers Akeem Spence DT Illinois Big Ten from Oakland [R4 - 2]
4 101 Jacksonville Jaguars Ace Sanders WR South Carolina SEC from Philadelphia [R4 - 3]
4 102 New England Patriots Josh Boyce WR TCU Big 12 from Detroit via Minnesota [R4 - 4]
4 103 Arizona Cardinals Alex Okafor DE Texas Big 12
4 104 Miami Dolphins Jelani Jenkins LB Florida SEC from Cleveland [R4 - 5]
4 105 Buffalo Bills Duke Williams S Nevada MW
4 106 Miami Dolphins Dion Sims TE Michigan State Big Ten from New York Jets via New Orleans [R4 - 6]
4 107 Tennessee Titans Brian Schwenke C California Pac-12
4 108 Carolina Panthers Edmund Kugbila G Valdosta State Gulf South
4 109 Green Bay Packers David Bakhtiari OT Colorado Pac-12 from New Orleans via Miami [R4 - 7]
4 110 New York Giants Ryan Nassib QB Syracuse Big East from San Diego via Arizona [R4 - 8]
4 111 Pittsburgh Steelers Shamarko Thomas S Syracuse Big East from Miami via Cleveland [R4 - 9]

Rain Man
05-01-2016, 09:28 PM
I'll do more later if I remember. I've got a good projection on the grades of Sanders Commings and Braden Wilson, but let's see if the Chiefs SHOULD have done better or if most guys are out of the league at their draft spot.

chiefzilla1501
05-01-2016, 09:28 PM
If he was so good the chiefs wouldn't take a chance on the media shit show that is Tyreek Hill

I don't like the decision to draft Hill.

But talent-wise, you have a potentially elite KR and potential DAT replacement vs. a very good KR who won't see the field at RB. Easy decision to want to trade him. But teams won't give up much for backup RBs, let alone RBs they know are certain to get cut.

jspchief
05-01-2016, 09:48 PM
Yeah he fumbles too much, but Chiefs got decent return on the pick. Maybe C+/C is reasonable. He obviously has warts, but the guy produced for the most part when called on. It wasn't a terrible pick, he's just nothing more than a #2 at best.

jspchief
05-01-2016, 09:52 PM
I agree his career may not last much longer. Turnovers are going to kill it. But the Chiefs got good football out of the guy.

scho63
05-01-2016, 10:00 PM
It's always easy to go back 3-4 years then cherry pick a real great pick or a real shitty pick.

I think the overall picks were decent, about a B-

chiefzilla1501
05-01-2016, 10:34 PM
Yeah he fumbles too much, but Chiefs got decent return on the pick. Maybe C+/C is reasonable. He obviously has warts, but the guy produced for the most part when called on. It wasn't a terrible pick, he's just nothing more than a #2 at best.

And being a #2 at best isn't bad for a 4th round pick. It doesn't help though when your team has 3 legit #1's and a quality FB to boot. He should get a backup role somewhere and be just fine. Especially if it's a scheme that allows him to do a lot of north/south.

DaneMcCloud
05-01-2016, 10:51 PM

And once again, you prove that your NFL knowledge is as shallow as the shit and piss in the Oakland Coliseum

oaklandhater
05-01-2016, 11:25 PM
And once again, you prove that your NFL knowledge is as shallow as the shit and piss in the Oakland Coliseum

Dropping insults instead of defending your statement very professional of you

Dante84
05-02-2016, 02:29 PM
Well, I guess that settles that.

<blockquote class="twitter-tweet" data-lang="en"><p lang="en" dir="ltr">The <a href="https://twitter.com/hashtag/Jaguars?src=hash">#Jaguars</a> are declining the fifth-year option on OT Luke Joeckel, who will compete at left tackle, could kick inside this year.</p>&mdash; Ian Rapoport (@RapSheet) <a href="https://twitter.com/RapSheet/status/727230500578967554">May 2, 2016</a></blockquote>
<script async src="//platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

Dante84
05-02-2016, 02:30 PM
Wonder if we could trade them Knile for Luke and play him at guard? lolz

ForeverChiefs58
05-02-2016, 05:56 PM
Here's some real talk for you, post-draft: Not all the first-round picks made last week are going to be NFL stars.

We're reminded of this now every year around this time when NFL teams must make decisions on the first-round picks they made a mere three years ago. Optimism was high then, even for what looks like a putrid draft now, but in many cases it's back down to earth with news trickling in for which teams are picking up those players' fifth-year options.

In short: The 2013 draft was pretty awful. And right now, it's really sinking in as teams are now having to admit to a lot of their mistakes.

The 2011 CBA allowed NFL teams to sign first-rounders to four-year contracts with a fifth year at the team's discretion (to be decided before the start of the fourth season). That salary is based off an average of the top players at their positions, with top-10 picks making a higher average.

On Monday, the deadline to exercise fifth-year options for 2013 first-rounders, we found out that options were declined on several big-name players from that draft class, including Jacksonville Jaguars offensive tackle Luke Joeckel (No. 2 overall), Cleveland Browns pass rusher Barkevious Mingo (No. 6), Tennessee Titans guard Chance Warmack (No. 10), Buffalo Bills quarterback EJ Manuel (No. 16) and Minnesota Vikings receiver-returner Cordarrelle Patterson (No. 29).

Other options declined: Oakland Raiders CB D.J. Hayden and Devner Broncos nose tackle Sylvester Williams, although you get the idea that both could still end up staying with their respective teams at less money.

The Kansas City Chiefs picked up No. 1 pick Eric Fisher's option, which was in some doubt. The San Diego Chargers picked up the fifth year for OG D.J. Fluker, the 11th pick that year.

Typically, although not in all cases, a team declining a player's option means it's disappointed in their performance, and it's giving him a one-year, make-or-break deal to prove themselves. Likewise, most teams that do pick up the option are happy with the player, and it can be a case of getting an extra year cheap out of a star player and preventing him from hitting the open market.

Of course, there are always exceptions — Robert Griffin III being an excellent one. The Washington Redskins elected to pick up RG3's fifth year and then ended up not even playing him this past season, likely for fear of him getting hurt, which would fully guarantee his 2017 money. Instead, they released him this offseason, and Griffin is now a Brown.

Another fifth-year option that was exercised was that of the New York Jets' Quinton Coples, but the team released him less than seven months later. On the flip side, Doug Martin was declined by the Tampa Bay Buccaneers, and he turned it into a franchise tag and some new money from the team. Also declined: Melvin Ingram by the San Diego Chargers, who later signed him to an extension.

So it's not a hard-and-fast statement of hatred when the fifth-year option is declined, nor is it love when it's picked up, but it's clear that Mingo, Warmack and Patterson are heading into prove-it years. For Warmack, who has played well of late, it might be more of a case of a top-10 guard who would earn $12 million in 2017, so perhaps an extension can be worked out with him. But unless injuries change the landscape, Manuel doesn't appear to be getting much of a chance in Buffalo.

The 2013 draft, of course, wasn't a total wash. First-rounders Ziggy Ansah, Sheldon Richardson, Lane Johnson, Kyle Long and Star Lotulelei have become very good players, and there are a handful of other serviceable ones. After that, there were a handful of gems: Le'Veon Bell, Eddie Lacy and Jamie Collins in Round 2, Keenan Allen in Round 3 and a few more.

But by and large, this is the worst of the draft classes in recent years. Let's hope that the 2016 crop, less than 48 hours in the books, has a far brighter future than this one.

eDave
05-02-2016, 05:57 PM
Who's had the best 2013 draft?