PDA

View Full Version : Chiefs Draft was a steal!?

Couch-Potato
05-03-2016, 08:28 AM
So after watching this years draft I took notice that basically everyone of our picks was considered a "steal." Accept for a couple of really tight scheme fits. Is Dorsey as clever as we all hope he is? What does CP think, did we find talent at value in this years draft? Looking back, say at the end of this year, will our draft grades improve? Will these guys contribute?

2 (6) Chris Jones DT- PFF calls this "The steal of the draft." I think it was Kiper that said he had him at like 16 on his board. Hoping we can keep Poe next year and they will play together for years to come!

3(11) KeiVarae Russell CB- Dropped due to Academics & Injury, but looks like he could become our starting #2 CB and could have been a high 2nd round pick, maybe better, without issues.

4 (7) Parker Ehihnger OG- *Scheme fit* Apparently we'd rather have a versatile OL backup than a starter at guard? hmmm questionable, but what do I know. Chiefs love these guys that can be swiss army knives across the line. Hope he comes in handy during the season when we're faced with injuries in the trenches.

4 (8) Eric Murray CB- Considered a "top 100 pick" by ESPN, went at 106? Not sure that's exactly a steal, but depending on your opinion of how high in that top 100 he could have gone...

4(28) Demarcus Robinson WR- Apparently very talented, but smoked too much pot. We love these guys in KC. I honestly think we've taken this point of view to combat the fact that KC is not an attractive destination for star FAs.

5(23) Kevin Hogan QB- *Scheme fit* Alex Smith clone. Seriously, read his profile on ESPN. Forget the whole mechanics part, the rest screams Andy's ideal "Alex-light" backup. Also, he's smart. http://insider.espn.go.com/nfl/draft/player/_/id/49998

5(26) Tyreek Hill WR- Oh boy. Alright so, off field issues aside, apparently this guys talented as well, buuut he might need a good beating by some teammates in this first day of training camp.

6 (3) DJ White CB- Another CB ESPN suggested would be a "Top 100 player. He went 178. Also, some guy that is sort of a scout told Arrohead Pride that he should have been a 3rd round pick: http://www.arrowheadpride.com/2016/5/3/11576286/chiefs-draft-picks-dj-white-round-talent-nfl-network

6 (28) Dadi Lahomme Nicoles OLB - Honestly, I dont know... developmental ST guy I guess. Not sure he fits the post.

UFA Mitch Matthews WR Undoubtedly a case of me being a true homer here, and this kid will likely never see the field, but holy snap! (6'6, 220+, Sub 4.5). He brings something different to our WR core that's for sure. Can he be our Kelce-light clone at WR? This site has him as the 29th WR of 418 available for the draft: http://www.nfldraftscout.com/ratings/dsprofile.php?pyid=90139&draftyear=2016&genpos=WR

kepp
05-03-2016, 08:35 AM
I thought there were better guards on the board when they picked Ehihnger, but they like the guy so I'm gonna trust them for now. Hopefully we can keep the character issue guys in check. I'm OK with the draft...kind of meh, but OK.

Couch-Potato
05-03-2016, 08:37 AM
I thought there were better guards on the board when they picked Ehihnger, but they like the guy so I'm gonna trust them for now. Hopefully we can keep the character issue guys in check. I'm OK with the draft...kind of meh, but OK.

I'm with you. Of the players selected, I only feel like the first two will really stick. I do think those two will be solid though.

srvy
05-03-2016, 08:50 AM
Clinkscale thinks Dorsey is in over his head. Said he thought Chiefs successes were mostly Andy getting the most out of the talent he has. Most likely its a little of both buy Clinkscale is such a negative Ned it rubbed me wrong.

Sent from my LG-D800 using Tapatalk

DaFace
05-03-2016, 08:51 AM
It's a "steal" in the sense that we've got a ton of guys with raw talent that, if things work out perfectly, could be far more valuable than the draft picks we gave for them. However, the reason that most of them dropped was that they all (or mostly at least) have question marks, and the law of averages suggests that we can't overcome ALL of those.

It definitely appears to be Dorsey's style to take a chance on guys who might have issues for one reason or another and hope to coach them up to be performers. Thus far, I can't complain, but it's not a 100% no-brainer win either.

srvy
05-03-2016, 08:51 AM
I'm with you. Of the players selected, I only feel like the first two will really stick. I do think those two will be solid though.
That's pretty normal as as much as people want to think we filled every need in the draft doesn't follow history on how many bust.

Simply Red
05-03-2016, 08:55 AM
DJ White is just okay IMO.

Simply Red
05-03-2016, 08:56 AM
I saw a few Tech games - he's pretty average, nothing sensational - that's for sure.

RunKC
05-03-2016, 08:58 AM
Clinkscale thinks Dorsey is in over his head. Said he thought Chiefs successes were mostly Andy getting the most out of the talent he has. Most likely its a little of both buy Clinkscale is such a negative Ned it rubbed me wrong.

Dorsey sure saved Andy's ass last year after Andy saved his in 2014. Being 1-5 with this kind of talented team is on the coaching.
Peters was a badass, Morse was a badass and West/Ware were Dorsey finds that really helped us after we lost Jamaal.

dorsey has done one hell of a job considering the fact that he's only had 3 top 100 picks only once in his 4 drafts here.

ChiefGator
05-03-2016, 08:58 AM
It's a "steal" in the sense that we've got a ton of guys with raw talent that, if things work out perfectly, could be far more valuable than the draft picks we gave for them. However, the reason that most of them dropped was that they all (or mostly at least) have question marks, and the law of averages suggests that we can't overcome ALL of those.

I think it was Ted Thompson who recently said if he hit on 50% of his draft picks he would feel like he hit a home run. If we hit on just a couple of those later picks, and the first couple come through, that will be home run for us. They won't all work, but if a couple do.. woah!

Mr. Laz
05-03-2016, 09:14 AM
*crossing fingers*

Dante84
05-03-2016, 09:18 AM

It definitely appears to be Dorsey's style to take a chance on guys who might have issues for one reason or another and hope to coach them up to be performers. Thus far, I can't complain, but it's not a 100% no-brainer win either.

Yeah, I think that's the MO. Get a strategic advantage by taking value-gambles on talent, and mitigate the risk by trusting your coaching staff to develop talent and keep the players focused and hungry to win.

There's not a lot of "Me-first" players, and I also think that comes from trusting the veteran leadership as well - guys like Tamba, Berry and DJ.

In summary, our gambles are insured by our coaching and veteran leadership, which increases the odds of the gambles paying off.

The result is that our team is more talented than it should be, given our draft positions.

The proof is in the pudding: Fisher and his "raw-ness"; Kelce in the 3rd; Peters and his 'issues'; Ware and West as UDFA's....etc..

Halfcan
05-03-2016, 09:30 AM
If we get 2 new starters, 3 back ups and fill our practice squad-that would be a Steal of a draft.

Looks like there is enough talent there-but the big thing is the mental aspect. Can they stay out of trouble once they sign for big money? Can they learn the playbook? Did they really learn from past mistakes?

This really is a Boom or Bust draft. History always favors the Bust side unfortunately.

O.city
05-03-2016, 09:47 AM
So the coach gets the most out of the talent the gm gives him.

Is that a bad thing?

KChiefs1
05-03-2016, 10:26 AM
Dorsey's strength is finding the "under the radar" talent.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

BossChief
05-03-2016, 10:33 AM
I saw a few Tech games - he's pretty average, nothing sensational - that's for sure.

Daniel Jerimiah (one of the best scouts out there) said he would have taken White in the third round.

That guy is usually pretty spot on.

RealSNR
05-03-2016, 10:34 AM
If we get 2 new starters, 3 back ups and fill our practice squad-that would be a Steal of a draft.

Looks like there is enough talent there-but the big thing is the mental aspect. Can they stay out of trouble once they sign for big money? Can they learn the playbook? Did they really learn from past mistakes?

This really is a Boom or Bust draft. History always favors the Bust side unfortunately.

Yeah.

Given the history of these kind of players, on our team and across the NFL, we're looking at Nicolas, White, and possibly someone like Robinson not sticking around the team for a full rookie contract. It's reasonable to expect Murray and Ehinger to be solid depth pieces. Hogan is one giant wild card-- honestly, I don't think he has the talent to be a reliable primary backup. I think we've got Murray around for that, and if another team pays him too much after his contract is done, we'll give Hogan a try, but I'm really not that big of a fan of him.

We're depending a lot on Jones and Russell to make this draft class sing. If they can become good starters, this draft class was a pretty decent success. Both players have a reasonable shot at being just that. I like them a lot. Any other guy from this class who surpasses expectations is frosting on the cake.

And I'm not even going to factor in Tyreek Hill in this analysis, because he will be a paraplegic some time around early August when the weatherman pays him a visit.

ct
05-03-2016, 10:44 AM

I tend to agree with these comments. On average some will pan out, some will not.

My guess...

Jones, Russell, Murray will develop and be plus contributors, if not starters

Ehinger, Hogan, White will hang on the fringe or PS, but ultimately will quickly fade away

Robinson, Hill, Nicoles will disappear quickly

I could just as easily swap White and Robinson between lists.

saphojunkie
05-03-2016, 11:03 AM
There were a lot of "steals" because we traded down and found value. We drafted guys who fell in the draft due to reasons outside of actual ability.

I like the Ehinger pick over a straight starter at guard, because of his versatility. He's not there to start. He's there to cover a ton of bases, and it's a perfect blend of a good GM finding talent to match what the HC likes to do.

If the Chiefs hadn't drafted Tyreek Hill, the entire 810 lineup wouldn't be freaking out right now. They are letting one decision - a decision they do not know all the details about - color their entire opinion of the draft.

You want to say you hate the hill pick? Great. But that doesn't mean Murray and Robinson and Russel aren't good picks.

kysirsoze
05-03-2016, 12:29 PM
And I'm not even going to factor in Tyreek Hill in this analysis, because he will be a paraplegic some time around early August when the weatherman pays him a visit.

LMAO

ct
05-03-2016, 12:51 PM
There were a lot of "steals" because we traded down and found value. We drafted guys who fell in the draft due to reasons outside of actual ability.

I like the Ehinger pick over a straight starter at guard, because of his versatility. He's not there to start. He's there to cover a ton of bases, and it's a perfect blend of a good GM finding talent to match what the HC likes to do.

If the Chiefs hadn't drafted Tyreek Hill, the entire 810 lineup wouldn't be freaking out right now. They are letting one decision - a decision they do not know all the details about - color their entire opinion of the draft.

You want to say you hate the hill pick? Great. But that doesn't mean Murray and Robinson and Russel aren't good picks.

this is what they do, their only reason to exist, and the only way they get listeners or ad space to stay in business

Mr. Laz
05-03-2016, 01:04 PM

You want to say you hate the hill pick? Great. But that doesn't mean Murray and Robinson and Russel aren't good picks.All these Radio stations are a reflection of the listeners themselves.

They talk about ANYTHING that brings them listeners and sponsors.

look in the mirror

Kiimo
05-03-2016, 01:12 PM
The funniest part is they keep disagreeing and arguing with each other.

Mr. Laz
05-03-2016, 01:17 PM

embrace debate

rtmike
05-03-2016, 03:19 PM

Damn, that's some nastiest ass weather.

chiefscafan
05-03-2016, 03:55 PM
Ok if I'm a betting man I think

Jones, all three CBS, And Robinson

Doubtful to really contribute Ehllinger and hogan

Could be a surprise: Tyree Hill

My steal : DE dadi Lahomme Nicoles remember no one thought much bout Jared Allen pick so u never know

Easy 6
05-03-2016, 04:05 PM

Sounds like "Clinkscale" is the one in over his head

Dorsey has whiffed on some players, but all the good ones do

The man has methodically built a deep roster, and presided over three straight winning seasons on a team with a culture that was laying in the gutter right next to the Browns

bevischief
05-03-2016, 04:44 PM
That's their jobs....

Direckshun
05-03-2016, 04:55 PM
I'm just armchair GMing here, but it seems like the Maclin tampering affected our game plan. To compensate for our lack of a 1st, which we traded to recoup some of the Maclin penalty. So we have no 1st rounder, but a bunch of other picks in the top 126.

So the Chiefs go pure Moneyball. They draft players who, in most cases, should have gone a round earlier in the draft. Jones should have gone in the first, but motor problems caused him to fall. Russell should have gone earlier, but for his injury. Robinson should have gone a round or two earlier, but his suspensions dropped him. And so on.

Dorsey is leaning hard on his locker room and his head coach to get the most out of these characters.

Time will tell.

Pasta Little Brioni
05-03-2016, 05:02 PM
You over think things voyager

Psyko Tek
05-03-2016, 09:31 PM

if they didn't would you listen?

DaneMcCloud
05-03-2016, 09:40 PM
I'm just armchair GMing here, but it seems like the Maclin tampering affected our game plan. To compensate for our lack of a 1st, which we traded to recoup some of the Maclin penalty. So we have no 1st rounder, but a bunch of other picks in the top 126.

So the Chiefs go pure Moneyball. They draft players who, in most cases, should have gone a round earlier in the draft. Jones should have gone in the first, but motor problems caused him to fall. Russell should have gone earlier, but for his injury. Robinson should have gone a round or two earlier, but his suspensions dropped him. And so on.

Dorsey is leaning hard on his locker room and his head coach to get the most out of these characters.

Time will tell.

Time has proven that a Cabbage Patch Doll has had equal insight as you regarding talent, the draft, personnel and contract negotiations you.

You're in great company.

NJChiefsFan
05-03-2016, 10:02 PM

Time will tell.

Tough to really know. I think part of it was having teams jump us and have a lot of players that seemed like good fits for us go right before. The draft didn't seem to fall KC's way. Maybe we got what we wanted anyway. The reality is nobody knows.