PDA

View Full Version : Chiefs Chiefs sign Chris Jones

Quesadilla Joe
05-05-2016, 10:53 AM
<blockquote class="twitter-tweet" data-lang="en"><p lang="en" dir="ltr">Chiefs have signed second-round pick Chris Jones per source.</p>&mdash; ProFootballTalk (@ProFootballTalk) <a href="https://twitter.com/ProFootballTalk/status/728265549839511552">May 5, 2016</a></blockquote>
<script async src="//platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

Mr. Laz
05-05-2016, 10:56 AM
imo this means we plan on Jones playing significant minutes this year and want him in early and ready to go.

BossChief
05-05-2016, 10:59 AM
Lol laz.

You sure get a lot from a guy signing his slotted rookie deal a week after being selected.

RustShack
05-05-2016, 11:03 AM
imo this means we plan on Jones playing significant minutes this year and want him in early and ready to go.

ROFL

DJ's left nut
05-05-2016, 11:07 AM
Lol laz.

You sure get a lot from a guy signing his slotted rookie deal a week after being selected.

No kidding.

About the only thing you'll sometimes see is agents trying to argue that their guy would've been the first rounder for KC had they not traded down but hell, what's he going to do? He has no leverage and it seems unlikely that KC would even bother asking for an offset clause on a 2nd rounder; there's not enough guaranteed money in the deal to even bother.

jd1020
05-05-2016, 11:07 AM

You sure he just wasn't hungry?

Discuss Thrower
05-05-2016, 11:09 AM
One of the few things they NFL and the union have done right is establishing wage slots and reining in rookie contracts in general.

RobBlake
05-05-2016, 11:10 AM
No kidding.

About the only thing you'll sometimes see is agents trying to argue that their guy would've been the first rounder for KC had they not traded down but hell, what's he going to do? He has no leverage and it seems unlikely that KC would even bother asking for an offset clause on a 2nd rounder; there's not enough guaranteed money in the deal to even bother.

well ever since the rookie cap.. contracts tend to get down quicker

Mr. Laz
05-05-2016, 11:18 AM
Lol laz.

I understand the slotting get stuff done earlier but this is really early.

Either Jones needs to money or the Chiefs want Jones to produce as early as possible.

little of both

O.city
05-05-2016, 11:35 AM
Rookie camps start this weekend

Urc Burry
05-05-2016, 11:40 AM
Yeah we had the whole class signed last year before rookie camp

ModSocks
05-05-2016, 11:41 AM

Either Jones needs to money or the Chiefs want Jones to produce as early as possible.

little of both

OR, OR it COULD simply mean that he's content with the slotted contract that was offered and has nothing to gain by not signing.

What, Laz, does Jones gain by NOT signing his SLOTTED contract?

RunKC
05-05-2016, 11:46 AM
I can't believe we got a legit 1st rd talent for a cheaper 2nd rd contact. This guy would have been a 1st Rd pick if he stayed at MSU

Urc Burry
05-05-2016, 11:46 AM
After Fowlers injury last year I'm not even sure rookies would participate in camp without a contract. Jax honored the contact, but it would be pretty risky if you are a lower round draft pick that the team hasn't invested much into

Beef Supreme
05-05-2016, 11:48 AM
imo this means six more weeks of winter.

BossChief
05-05-2016, 12:25 PM

little of both

The kid needs a lot of work and TBH, I EXPECT him to be labeled a bust (like Tyson Jackson bad) in year 1. The difference being the rookie scale getting Jobes to workouts and camp ASAP.

His ceiling is massive, but his floor is gonna be a guy that gets blown off the ball constantly because of pad level (as DJ has mentioned) and a big learning curve.

I won't be surprised if he has similar snap counts as Williams and Roches next year.

58kcfan89
05-05-2016, 12:50 PM
After Fowlers injury last year I'm not even sure rookies would participate in camp without a contract. Jax honored the contact, but it would be pretty risky if you are a lower round draft pick that the team hasn't invested much into

There was a story earlier this week that the Jags and Dolphins and potentially a few other teams had changed from football drills to a classroom/seminar type thing for their camps. Basically teaching the kids the ins & outs of life with their new teams.

The teams justified it as these players played the entire season of college ball, immediately began prepping for the draft and hopefully won't get killed by missing a few days of drills and whatever the hell else they do in the camps.

A lot harder to tear an ACL in a meeting room than in a drill. Wouldn't shock me if more teams start looking into this, especially if rookies are getting their seasons ended before they start.

O.city
05-05-2016, 12:51 PM
Yeah i saw that. Makes sense.

Mostly they've been training to do combine drills, not olay football

ptlyon
05-05-2016, 12:58 PM
Yeah i saw that. Makes sense.

Mostly they've been training to do combine drills, not olay football

Happy Cinco de mayo to you too!

Hog's Gone Fishin
05-05-2016, 01:14 PM
That took some balls to sign so early !

KChiefs1
05-05-2016, 02:45 PM
Should sign all the picks pretty quickly.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Halfcan
05-05-2016, 03:13 PM
Glad to see him ready to go. I think it is a good move for him and the Chiefs.

Future DROY if he plays to his talent level.

DaneMcCloud
05-05-2016, 03:37 PM
<blockquote class="twitter-tweet" data-lang="en"><p lang="en" dir="ltr">Chiefs&#39; deal for Chris Jones worth up to $6.231 million, includes $2.731 million singing bonus</p>&mdash; Aaron Wilson (@AaronWilson_NFL) <a href="https://twitter.com/AaronWilson_NFL/status/728325505955467265">May 5, 2016</a></blockquote> <script async src="//platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

The Franchise
05-05-2016, 04:07 PM
I wonder what he has to sing.

staylor26
05-05-2016, 04:12 PM
I wonder what he has to sing.

http://youtu.be/LnzYG0ZkrXg