PDA

View Full Version : Chiefs Take a Ride on the USS Missouri Submarine

gblowfish
05-05-2016, 01:28 PM
One of the Navy's new subs, very bad ass peacekeeper. Watch the video, spot the Missouri Flag and KC Chiefs autographed football inside the sub!

http://www.kmbc.com/politics/cnn-visits-nuclear-sub-amid-tensions-with-russia/39391370?utm_source=Social&utm_medium=FBPAGE&utm_campaign=KMBC%209%20News%20Kansas%20City&Content%20Type=Story

hometeam
05-05-2016, 01:30 PM
I didn't realize they reused names like this.. its supposed to be a big bad battleship~

ModSocks
05-05-2016, 01:42 PM
I got to board the old Soviet B-39 last weekend.

****ing awful. I think i might be claustrophobic. I couldn't wait to get out of that thing.

Discuss Thrower
05-05-2016, 01:53 PM
I didn't realize they reused names like this.. its supposed to be a big bad battleship~

BB nomenclature shifted to SSN/SSBNs in the 70 because of the total firepower wielded by the boomers.

Frosty
05-05-2016, 02:08 PM
Missouri is kind of a weird name for a submarine.

vailpass
05-05-2016, 02:09 PM
BB nomenclature shifted to SSN/SSBNs in the 70 because of the total firepower wielded by the boomers.

Alpha foxtrot tango MaryHartman MaryHartman!

Rain Man
05-05-2016, 02:32 PM

Interesting. I thought that pretty much all submarines were named after cities these days, but maybe that's just attack subs.

But then how does that explain names like Nautilus and Thresher that have existed in the past? Now I'm confused. Can a submariner educate me?

siberian khatru
05-05-2016, 02:40 PM
What's long and hard and full of seamen?

Discuss Thrower
05-05-2016, 02:54 PM
Interesting. I thought that pretty much all submarines were named after cities these days, but maybe that's just attack subs.

But then how does that explain names like Nautilus and Thresher that have existed in the past? Now I'm confused. Can a submariner educate me?

Not a Navy guy, but going from ocean life names to prestigious titles like states and former presidents likely stems from the shift away from having surface warfare sluggers like cruisers and battleships be the focus of the fleets to focusing on defending carriers due to their capabilities of ruling the skies and surfaces (and therefore needing fewer surface combatants) while also focusing on having more expensive and more powerful submarines as part of the nuclear triad in staving off Soviet first strikes.

TL;DR at first we had gunships that were the pride of the Navy, but then carriers and ballistic subs took that pride.

Halfcan
05-05-2016, 03:02 PM
Very cool footage and a Great name!

Those subs sink a lot of drug runners that refuse to comply. Excellent to watch. They don't just shoot a torpedo into the broadside like you would think. They actually explode it beneath the ship-the concussion breaks the ship in half, sinking it in minutes.

Rausch
05-05-2016, 03:07 PM
The header is a horrible advertisement.

"Wouldn't you like to be in a cramped, dank, humid, space with sailors?"

bigjosh
05-05-2016, 03:44 PM
The ssn 780 (missouri)was one of the first boats i worked on. At the time i was a lowly shipboard electrician. We are building the ssn 796 boat now, along with 5 other hulls and a couple of training ships. Busy at the shipyard. Ive worked my way out of the trades and into nuclear quality control.

Sent from my SM-N910P using Tapatalk

vailpass
05-05-2016, 04:00 PM
The ssn 780 (missouri)was one of the first boats i worked on. At the time i was a lowly shipboard electrician. We are building the ssn 796 boat now, along with 5 other hulls and a couple of training ships. Busy at the shipyard. Ive worked my way out of the trades and into nuclear quality control.

Bath Iron? EB?

bigjosh
05-05-2016, 04:38 PM
Bath Iron? EB?
EB in Rhode Island. Bath iron builds destroyers

Fish
05-05-2016, 04:39 PM
I only enjoy submarines from the outside, thanks.

vailpass
05-05-2016, 04:47 PM
EB in Rhode Island. Bath iron builds destroyers

If Geiger can go from Bath to EB so could you :D

Did you play on any of the EB hockey teams this year?

bigjosh
05-05-2016, 04:52 PM
If Geiger can go from Bath to EB so could you :D

Did you play on any of the EB hockey teams this year?
Naa i think thats a groton thing. Quonset point gets shit on when it comes to extracurriculars. Ha. Groton is a union shop and were not, they dont like us intermingling.

go bo
05-05-2016, 09:45 PM
Not a Navy guy, but going from ocean life names to prestigious titles like states and former presidents likely stems from the shift away from having surface warfare sluggers like cruisers and battleships be the focus of the fleets to focusing on defending carriers due to their capabilities of ruling the skies and surfaces (and therefore needing fewer surface combatants) while also focusing on having more expensive and more powerful submarines as part of the nuclear triad in staving off Soviet first strikes.

TL;DR at first we had gunships that were the pride of the Navy, but then carriers and ballistic subs took that pride.

i love their music, they are one of the best metal bands ever, believe me.

they say the words so well you're head will spin!! and they love me, all the bands love me.

go bo
05-05-2016, 09:49 PM
I only enjoy submarines from the outside, thanks.

ain't that the truth!! LMAO LMAO LMAO

altho, according to a friend, submarines can be quite enjoyable in other ways, depending on your proclivities... :)

threebag
05-06-2016, 08:05 AM
I rode the submarine at Silver Dollar City