PDA

View Full Version : Food and Drink Candylicious: Round 1, Heats 77 through 80

Rain Man
05-12-2016, 10:03 PM
Here are the rules. This will be a head to head tournament. For efficiency's sake, I will run four heats in each thread.

Therefore, I will put up four pairs of candies. For each pair, you will identify the candy that you would most like to have at the moment of voting. It doesn't necessarily have to be your favorite candy overall, just the one that sounds good right now. For visualization purposes, you may assume that you're out trick or treating (dressed as the Dionne Quintuplets), and the woman at the door is offering you your choice of two options. You can only pick one, or if you would turn them both down, you can pick zero (not to be confused with the Zero bar).

So to summarize, you will vote for four candies in each thread, one candy per heat. And here they are!

Heat 77: Lindt Chocolate Bar versus Hershey's Cookies'n'Creme

https://photos.prnewswire.com/prnvar/20150622/224699
http://www.chocolateandbabyfoods.com/wp-content/uploads/2015/10/american-hershey-s-cookies-n-creme-x28-cookies-cream-x29-bar-best-seller-43g-dated-july-2016-485-p.jpg

Heat 78: Butterfinger versus Whistle Pops

http://www.rubberband.com/public/userfiles/bf-detail.jpg
http://www.collectingcandy.com/wordpress/wp-content/uploads/2012/03/CC_Peter-Paul-Whistle-Pops-display-box-shot-1977.jpg

Heat 79: Bounty versus Bottle Caps

http://www.cravebits.com/wp-content/uploads/2014/09/Bounty-chocolateBar-coconut.jpg
http://www.candywarehouse.com/assets/item/large/wonka-bottle-caps-candy-theater-size-packs-130882-w.jpg

Heat 80: M&Ms Dark Chocolate Peanut versus Cadbury Crème Egg

http://images.teamsugar.com/files/users/1/15259/26_2007/darkpeanutmms_thumb.jpg
https://victoriabelanger.files.wordpress.com/2013/03/nom1.jpg

Rain Man
05-12-2016, 10:14 PM
My votes:

Hershey's Cookies'n'Creme over Lindt Chocolate Bar. This is a tough one, really tough, However, I don't really like fruit flavors in chocolate (other than maybe raspberry), so I looked at the picture and decided that I like white chocolate better. White chocolate is underappreciated.

Butterfinger over Whistle Pops - Butterfingers are tasty even though I have no idea what the orange stuff is. On the contrary, I don't feel a need to blow into my candy.

Bounty over Bottle Caps - Bounty looks like a milk chocolate Mounds, and I love Mounds. On the other hand, I don't like soda flavored candy. If I want soda, I'll have soda. Easy win for Bounty.

Cadbury Crème Egg over M&Ms Dark Chocolate Peanut. Another really tough one. I like both, but I'm not infatuated with either. I find Dark Chocolate M&Ms a little disruptive to my mental model, so I went with Cadbury. I find it both disturbing and tasty to suck out the yolk.

The Franchise
05-12-2016, 10:21 PM
Bottle caps FTMFW

Bugeater
05-12-2016, 10:23 PM
Ughh....more coconut. :Lin:

Gadzooks
05-13-2016, 12:07 AM
Bounty over Bottle Caps - Bounty looks like a milk chocolate Mounds, and I love Mounds. On the other hand, I don't like soda flavored candy. If I want soda, I'll have soda. Easy win for Bounty.

Have you ever tried Bottle Caps? If you have an affinity for sweet and tart chalk textured candies, Bottle Caps would be right up your alley.

TimBone
05-13-2016, 12:24 AM
Bottle caps FTMFW
Yep.

Fire Me Boy!
05-13-2016, 04:43 AM
My votes:

Hershey's Cookies'n'Creme over Lindt Chocolate Bar. This is a tough one, really tough, However, I don't really like fruit flavors in chocolate (other than maybe raspberry), so I looked at the picture and decided that I like white chocolate better. White chocolate is underappreciated.

Butterfinger over Whistle Pops - Butterfingers are tasty even though I have no idea what the orange stuff is. On the contrary, I don't feel a need to blow into my candy.

Cadbury Crème Egg over M&Ms Dark Chocolate Peanut. Another really tough one. I like both, but I'm not infatuated with either. I find Dark Chocolate M&Ms a little disruptive to my mental model, so I went with Cadbury. I find it both disturbing and tasty to suck out the yolk.

Lindt is really nice chocolate. I think you did yourself a disservice by only going off the three pictures. There are tons of flavors, many of which are not fruit. And white chocolate isn't even chocolate. Lindt is the FAR superior choice.

Butterfinger. WTF nominated whistle pops, a 4-year-old?

Bottle Caps are one of my absolute favorite non-chocolate candies. Another are only two that taste like soda. They rule.

M&Ms, I guess. Never had the dark chocolate peanut M&Ms, but they sound good. Cadbury hasn't been the same in like 10 years. I remember when their center used to be flowing, they'd get all over your chin if you weren't careful. THOSE Cabury eggs would have gotten my vote every time. Today's kinda suck.

WhawhaWhat
05-13-2016, 05:35 AM
The Cadbury Eggs that are sold in the US are sold by Kraft/Hershey's and they aren't very good. You can buy the real ones on Amazon though.

I'd still vote for M&Ms anyway though.

KCUnited
05-13-2016, 05:40 AM
Seems to be a correlation between disliking boobs and favoring semen textured candies.

I kid, I kid, but Cadbury Creme Eggs have always been foul.

Fire Me Boy!
05-13-2016, 05:41 AM
Seems to be a correlation between disliking boobs and favoring semen textured candies.

I kid, I kid, but Cadbury Creme Eggs have always been foul.

I wouldn't know what the mouthfeel of semen is like, but I'll take your word for it.

And you missed the obvious pun by replacing foul with fowl. :D

stumppy
05-13-2016, 05:46 AM
Putting Cookies and Creme vs Lindt Choc. is just wrong. They should both be in the finals.

MTG#10
05-13-2016, 05:59 AM
Even though Butterfingers aren't half as good as 5th Avenues I'd still take one over a whistle pop any day.

And for those of you who were wanting to try a 5th Avenue, if you live in the Springfield area anyway I found them at Walgreens. I felt like a fatty buying 3 but soooo worth it.

WhawhaWhat
05-13-2016, 06:11 AM

Based on your experience, which candy is closest to the texture of semen?

KCUnited
05-13-2016, 06:30 AM
Based on your experience, which candy is closest to the texture of semen?

Toweling off your sisters back was eerily similar to the time I wiped up a Cherry Cordial that had been dropped on the floor. So probably, Cherry Cordials.

WhawhaWhat
05-13-2016, 06:33 AM
Toweling off your sisters back was eerily similar to the time I wiped up a Cherry Cordial that had been dropped on the floor. So probably, Cherry Cordials.

I don't have a sister so that would have been someone else's sister assuming she had siblings. Did it taste like a Cherry Cordial, whatever that is, or just similar textures?

Sweet Daddy Hate
05-13-2016, 07:20 AM
Anyone who would choose Hershey over Lindt chocolate is clearly deranged and should seek help.

Fire Me Boy!
05-13-2016, 07:31 AM
Anyone who would choose Hershey over Lindt chocolate is clearly deranged and should seek help.

I hate myself for agreeing.

MTG#10
05-13-2016, 07:41 AM

Or perhaps we just have never tried and/or heard of Lindt chocolate so we chose the one we were familiar with.

Fire Me Boy!
05-13-2016, 07:43 AM
Or perhaps we just have never tried and/or heard of Lindt chocolate so we chose the one we were familiar with.

You are probably more familiar with Lindt truffle balls.

http://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20160513/8e30eb9c550a37efeea2d40239cd7c57.jpg

MTG#10
05-13-2016, 07:54 AM
I dont think Ive had those either but they do look quite tasty

Fire Me Boy!
05-13-2016, 07:57 AM
I dont think Ive had those either but they do look quite tasty

Seek them out. Lindt bars are available in just about every grocery store. Lindt balls you can find at Walmart, generally.

It's a European chocolate (German, I think), and it is so far superior to Hershey's that your explanation is the only one I can understand for why it's beating Lindt so far.

luv
05-13-2016, 08:04 AM
How in the world is Lindt losing to Hershey's? Especially Hershey's Cookies 'n Cream? People have some jacked up taste...lol.

Rain Man
05-13-2016, 09:30 AM
How in the world is Lindt losing to Hershey's? Especially Hershey's Cookies 'n Cream? People have some jacked up taste...lol.

Objectively, I probably should have picked Lindt, but I'm not really into flavor-infused chocolate so much and last night white chocolate sounded kind of good.

I'm marveling more at the love of Bottlecaps. They're one of those candies that I won't even try because the risk is too high that they'll be gross. Maybe I should make the $1 investment at some point, but I would always take the safe bet of the Bounty bar over the risk of a non-chocolate unknown.

Fire Me Boy!
05-13-2016, 09:34 AM
Objectively, I probably should have picked Lindt, but I'm not really into flavor-infused chocolate so much and last night white chocolate sounded kind of good.

You are usually prodigiously researched. You failed this one, brother. Lindt makes a lot of chocolate that's just chocolate.

Rain Man
05-13-2016, 09:45 AM
You are usually prodigiously researched. You failed this one, brother. Lindt makes a lot of chocolate that's just chocolate.

I'm just going off the picture, which I presume is the official nomination. They're all flavor-infused.

Indian Chief
05-13-2016, 11:07 AM
I love cookies and cream as a flavor but the Hershey's bar never did it for me. Tastes horribly fake. That and Lindt is fantastic, especially the dark chocolate truffles.

Cadbury creme eggs need to be battered and deep fried. Horribly glutinous but delicious.

GloucesterChief
05-13-2016, 12:39 PM
Voted:

Lindt. It seems like CP likes cheap nasty chocolate and not some of the medium quality European stuff like Lindt, Ritter, and Toblerone.

Butterfinger. Good lollipops are tootsie pops and Chupa Chups and I don't think Chupa Chups were nominated.

Bottle Caps. Bounty is an import and not available for general sale in the US.

Cadbury Creme Egg. Was better in earlier years. The Canadian and British versions are superior to the Hershey made stuff.

DJ's left nut
05-13-2016, 01:18 PM
How was there an outcry over Peanut M&Ms losing to Reese's and no similar outcry to a better version of Peanut M&M's losing to a POS candidate like Cadbury Cream Eggs?

Anyone that likes milk chocolate more than dark chocolate is either 1) 12 yrs old or 2) female...in either event, they're wrong. And while I understand those that favor peanut M&Ms to Reese's Pieces, most of them would still acknowledge that Reese's are quite good in their own right and worthy challengers to peanut M&Ms.

Cream eggs, OTOH, blow. Bad chocolate covering fake egg yoke that tastes like grainy condensed milk....seriously, who the hell green lit this idea?

Also this.

Fire Me Boy!
05-13-2016, 01:24 PM
How was there an outcry over Peanut M&Ms losing to Reese's and no similar outcry to a better version of Peanut M&M's losing to a POS candidate like Cadbury Cream Eggs?

Anyone that likes milk chocolate more than dark chocolate is either 1) 12 yrs old or 2) female...in either event, they're wrong. And while I understand those that favor peanut M&Ms to Reese's Pieces, most of them would still acknowledge that Reese's are quite good in their own right and worthy challengers to peanut M&Ms.

Cream eggs, OTOH, blow. Bad chocolate covering fake egg yoke that tastes like grainy condensed milk....seriously, who the hell green lit this idea?

Also this.

They used to be good. :sulk:

Infidel Goat
05-13-2016, 05:44 PM
http://media4.s-nbcnews.com/j/newscms/2016_19/1085486/reeses-pieces-peanut-butter-cup-today-20160512-tease-02_0890ce48c8615fd587cf201e1a721e43.today-inline-large.png

Perhaps a repost?

It wouldn't win the tournament, but I'd eat it. Just announced in the last few days.

Rain Man
05-13-2016, 05:53 PM

I like dark chocolate better than milk chocolate, but I think I prefer milk chocolate M&Ms over dark chocolate. Perhaps it's just history and habit, but the nice thing (and bad thing) about the milk chocolate is that they're so light that you can snarf them down by the bushel. Dark chocolate is richer and doesn't allow that type of fun.

Rain Man
05-13-2016, 05:59 PM
http://media4.s-nbcnews.com/j/newscms/2016_19/1085486/reeses-pieces-peanut-butter-cup-today-20160512-tease-02_0890ce48c8615fd587cf201e1a721e43.today-inline-large.png

Perhaps a repost?

It wouldn't win the tournament, but I'd eat it. Just announced in the last few days.

https://media.giphy.com/media/eoN5fHRfV4sSI/giphy.gif

Fire Me Boy!
05-13-2016, 06:02 PM
https://media.giphy.com/media/eoN5fHRfV4sSI/giphy.gif

I posted it in the thread with Reese's. It garnered no response.

Rain Man
05-13-2016, 06:13 PM
I posted it in the thread with Reese's. It garnered no response.

https://media.giphy.com/media/jg7Bq3EYD16Lu/giphy.gif

lewdog
05-13-2016, 06:19 PM

Perhaps a repost?

Oh my god.

No idea these existed!

MahiMike
05-13-2016, 06:28 PM
I'll go ahead and proclaim Butterfinger the winner of this whole dang thang.

Rain Man
05-15-2016, 03:59 PM
Hershey's Cookies and Cream, Butterfinger, Bottle Caps, and M&M's Dark Chocolate Peanut move on to Round 2.

Cookies and Cream smiles disdainfully at the haters.

Fire Me Boy!
05-15-2016, 04:08 PM
It's a goddamn travesty.

TimBone
05-15-2016, 04:20 PM
I'll be the one to say it, the Reese's Cup with the Reese's Pieces in it is a silly idea. The best thing about the Reese's Cup is that smooth, creamy goodness inside of the chocolate cup. I don't want that texture interrupted with chunks of Reese's Pieces, regardless of how delicious they taste. What a waste.

TimBone
05-15-2016, 04:20 PM
I'm still finna try it, tho.

GloucesterChief
05-15-2016, 04:21 PM
It's a goddamn travesty.

Remember rock candy moved on. Plain rock candy. CP has the tastebuds of dogs.

Rain Man
05-15-2016, 04:27 PM
I'll be the one to say it, the Reese's Cup with the Reese's Pieces in it is a silly idea. The best thing about the Reese's Cup is that smooth, creamy goodness inside of the chocolate cup. I don't want that texture interrupted with chunks of Reese's Pieces, regardless of how delicious they taste. What a waste.

After the initial excitement, I started thinking about. If the inside of a Reese's Piece is basically the same as the inside of a peanut butter cup, then the only difference is imbedded candy shells. Now, I think the insides are somewhat different in texture, but is that enough to sell a new product? I'm not sure.

lewdog
05-15-2016, 04:38 PM
Had a 5th avenue the other day.

Meh. Butterfinger is better.

Rain Man
05-15-2016, 04:40 PM

I'm disappointed, but appreciate the thorough research.

MTG#10
05-15-2016, 04:46 PM

You're fuckin high

Sweet Daddy Hate
05-15-2016, 05:36 PM
It's a goddamn travesty.

This.

lewdog
05-15-2016, 05:46 PM
You're fuckin high

Neither then nor now.

Sweet Daddy Hate
05-15-2016, 05:49 PM
Neither then nor now.

CHOCOLATE CREATINE CRACK GIVEAWAY!

lewdog
05-15-2016, 06:03 PM
CHOCOLATE CREATINE CRACK GIVEAWAY!

ROFL

Indian Chief
05-15-2016, 08:45 PM

I made this exact same point to my wife. Clearly you are a man of refined palate and superior intellect.

Sweet Daddy Hate
05-15-2016, 08:53 PM
I made this exact same point to my wife. Clearly you are a man of refined palate and superior intellect.

I concur. Such travesties have no place in civilized society.