PDA

View Full Version : Food and Drink Ordering Joe's KC BBQ.

Barret
05-13-2016, 05:09 PM
It seems as though Joe's KC now has an option to order online and have their BBQ mailed to you or to a friend in a state that has no idea what real BBQ is like.

I was interested in doing this for someone but was wanting to know what experiences that you all have either had doing this with Joe's or with any other BBQ place. I think Jack Stack has a mail order type process as well.

Also, if you were going to send this to someone that lives in a state that has no REAL BBQ (Minnesota) what would you recommend to impress them off the current listing that Joe's or any other mail order place might have?

http://www.joeskc.com/collections

Thanks for your help in advance.

BryanBusby
05-13-2016, 05:11 PM
Burnt ends, Z-man kit. You're done.

I've never mail ordered BBQ because why the hell would I do that living in KC, but I've mail ordered deep dish pizza from Chicago before. It was expensive, but fine otherwise.

Munson
05-13-2016, 05:14 PM
The Z-man, pulled pork, and baked beans are all top notch.

seclark
05-13-2016, 05:29 PM
nice.
sec

SAUTO
05-13-2016, 06:00 PM
Burnt ends, Z-man kit. You're done.

I've never mail ordered BBQ because why the hell would I do that living in KC, but I've mail ordered deep dish pizza from Chicago before. It was expensive, but fine otherwise.

Link to the pizza?

TrebMaxx
05-13-2016, 06:32 PM
Link to the pizza?

Try this. https://giordanos.com/shop/

BryanBusby
05-13-2016, 06:59 PM
This

unlurking
05-13-2016, 07:10 PM
$65 for a pair of 10" pizzas? Better be some damn good pizza.

DaneMcCloud
05-13-2016, 07:11 PM
I've had Jackstack sent to Cali and it was awful.

The first order tasted very "metallic", so they sent another. It was slightly better but we ended up throwing it out.

Hopefully you'll have a better experience.

TimBone
05-13-2016, 07:23 PM
I've had Jackstack sent to Cali and it was awful.

The first order tasted very "metallic", so they sent another. It was slightly better but we ended up throwing it out.

Hopefully you'll have a better experience.
Yeah, I'm very skeptical on the quality of BBQ that is packaged and shipped across the country. BBQ is something I want fresh.

SAUTO
05-13-2016, 07:31 PM

Thanks

wazu
05-13-2016, 07:33 PM
Have never trusted sending BBQ by mail. That said, would be interesting to see if Joe's has figured it out. They are pretty protective of their quality. They will refuse to cut ribs for carryout because they don't want people heating them and drying them out. Once saw a manager flip out and refuse to let me walk away with onion rings because he glanced at them and thought they weren't up to standard. (They looked fine to me.)

splatbass
05-13-2016, 08:30 PM
I was going to order a bottle of their sauce. $4.99 for the bottle. $61.94 for the shipping to Hawaii. I guess I'll have family buy it and ship it to me.

DaneMcCloud
05-13-2016, 08:51 PM
Have never trusted sending BBQ by mail. That said, would be interesting to see if Joe's has figured it out. They are pretty protective of their quality. They will refuse to cut ribs for carryout because they don't want people heating them and drying them out. Once saw a manager flip out and refuse to let me walk away with onion rings because he glanced at them and thought they weren't up to standard. (They looked fine to me.)
I think they all do dry ice. Maybe it's better in short distances but four days via Fed Ex was inedible.

Great Expectations
05-13-2016, 09:15 PM
I can smoke some great Q in my BGE, freeze it and rewarm days later in the oven for 3 hours or so at 225 degrees wrapped in foil and it taste great. I'd imagine that OK Joes can figure out a great way to freeze/ship/reheat their Q.

TribalElder
05-13-2016, 09:29 PM
Their ribs are good warmed up later following the instructions

BryanBusby
05-13-2016, 09:42 PM
$65 for a pair of 10" pizzas? Better be some damn good pizza.
Yeah shit isn't cheap, hence why I don't do it often. My dad is from Chicago and missed it, so it was worth the cost.

Wasn't as good as in the restaurant, but what frozen foods are? Now I'd just buy the KC Famous Deep Dish pizza and tell him I special ordered it from Chicago haha

Not bad for outside of Chicago for 6.99 tbh

Bowser
05-14-2016, 12:41 AM
I think they all do dry ice. Maybe it's better in short distances but four days via Fed Ex was inedible.

People. Listen.

If you want your shit fresh when it gets there, get the next day saver option with UPS. Thank me later.

Mama Hip Rockets
05-14-2016, 03:16 PM
I love Joe's as much as anybody, but I can't imagine having it shipped would be anything close to the real thing.

Barret
05-15-2016, 03:54 PM
Thanks everyone for the information.

Stewie
05-15-2016, 06:55 PM
These shipped products are never from the restaurant. They have to be cooked and packaged in USDA certified "kitchens." It's a big step down from what you expect in the restaurant, but there's money to be made and they do it. Don't expect anything close to what you're used to if you've eaten at the restaurant.

BlackHelicopters
05-16-2016, 10:00 AM
These shipped products are never from the restaurant. They have to be cooked and packaged in USDA certified "kitchens." It's a big step down from what you expect in the restaurant, but there's money to be made and they do it. Don't expect anything close to what you're used to if you've eaten at the restaurant.

Wut? Link?

Stewie
05-16-2016, 10:34 AM
Wut? Link?

All restaurants that want to ship food are required to have a certified USDA facility cook and package food for shipment. I think Jack Stack uses Fritz's in south KC. Joe's has a USDA facility in Olathe (not affiliated with the Olathe restaurant).

This is from Jack Stack VP:

Our US distribution business includes a USDA monitored food production facility and nationwide distribution through retailers like Sam's Club, Costco...

Mojo Jojo
05-16-2016, 10:35 AM
I've done Jack Stack burnt ends to out of towners and they always love them. Of course the burnt end is not something you find many places outside of KC.

LOCOChief
05-16-2016, 10:43 AM
I've had Jack Stack sent to me in FL, Brisket was really good, beans and pulled pork not so much. Family always sends Jack Stack sauce at Christmas, not my favorite sauce but obviously easier to send. I've been buying rubs from Jacks Old South and sending them as gifts to those who Q (awesome stuff)

gblowfish
05-16-2016, 10:47 AM
I usually just send sauce and rubs as gifts, because the food never seems to travel well. There's so many terrific sauces and dry rubs available here in KC that wherever you send them, it's hard to screw up a BBQ!

Stryker
05-16-2016, 11:22 AM
Yeah, I'm very skeptical on the quality of BBQ that is packaged and shipped across the country. BBQ is something I want fresh.

This. That was my very first thought.

scho63
05-16-2016, 11:46 AM
I have heard many of my friends trying to order something from their past online. To this day, they all tell me it sucks. Don't waste your time or money. It will be shit.

Stewie
05-16-2016, 11:57 AM
I have heard many of my friends trying to order something from their past online. To this day, they all tell me it sucks. Don't waste your time or money. It will be shit.

Joe's just started shipping their food this month. It seems they have much more control over the process since they own the facility. Jack Stack, on the other hand, farms out their food for shipment. I assume they have some oversight, though.

Randallflagg
05-16-2016, 12:32 PM
I grabbed some ribs and brisket from the store on Strangline to take to a client in Denver some 4 months ago. The folks at the store wrapped them really well, sent them along with three bottles of sauce. I bought dry ice at at HyVee, threw it in the cooler and off I went. The client went ape shit! Said it was the best he'd ever had. Now, granted, it's Denver - and BBQ is foreign to those folks, but there you go.