PDA

View Full Version : Home and Auto Anyone do Satellite internet?

displacedinMN
05-14-2016, 07:15 PM
Moved into a new house.

NO INTERNET!!!!!!!!! I am using my mobile phone as a modem. But that cannot last forever.

When we moved in-Centurylink said at least 2 months.
Comcast said at least a month.

Neither has contacted me yet. I will start my bug the shit out of them campaign Monday.

If they say they will take longer-the only other option is satellite.
Anyone use it? Likes? Disilkes? Speeds? Contract?
Thanks in advance.

BryanBusby
05-14-2016, 07:38 PM
If you're planning to play games or watch netflix or something, don't bother.

The latency will be so high that it'll be worthless.

TribalElder
05-14-2016, 07:40 PM
Aidsmegeddon

chiefs1111
05-14-2016, 08:07 PM
I had it for seven years before DSL finally came out my way. The lag and down time was horrible.

chiefs1111
05-14-2016, 08:08 PM
If you're planning to play games or watch netflix or something, don't bother.

The latency will be so high that it'll be worthless.

Not to mention the data caps are usually ridiculously low or they were when I had it anyways.

btlook1
05-14-2016, 08:25 PM
Wonder if it takes 2 months to get installed how long is it going to take to get fixed when something goes wrong?
Never had satellite internet but everyone I have talked to freaking HATES it! Very slow....I would move again!

displacedinMN
05-14-2016, 09:26 PM
This is a new development in an established community. Houses around me are from the 60's.
Apparently someone did not run the cable/phone through the development. Which means nothing is there and it will take time to connect to the outside world. Someone, somewhere dropped the ball.

Comcast has a wire up to the house-but not live yet. Centurylink has nothing. They will get harassed weekly.

tmax63
05-14-2016, 09:38 PM
It's better than nothing. Living in the country our dsl speed was in the slowest 5% of the nation. Satellite beats that by quite a bit but if you're used to hi-speed then you'll be disappointed. Caps are a real pain as well. I pay about $60 a month but have a 10 gig cap. They have another for about $90/month that's about 15 gig or you can buy additional cap space at $10/gig. We're on restriction about 10 days a month because I'm a cheap bastard. They also have a line of sight wireless out here that's a much better deal but you have to have l-o-s to one of their towers. Have had minimal problems with weather outages from really heavy rain/cloud cover but with a wet heavy snow you may have to clear the dish off.

CapsLockKey
05-14-2016, 10:02 PM
Pass on satellite. I'd see if one of the neighbors will let you leech off their wifi for a few bucks for the time being.

Ming the Merciless
05-14-2016, 11:11 PM
would using a 4g card be faster?

http://www.verizonwireless.com/home-office-solutions/verizon-lte-internet-and-home-phone/ <--- one example, theres lots of different LTE/4g stuff

Demonpenz
05-14-2016, 11:53 PM
my brother had it and blew his brains out. hope it works out for you.

Ming the Merciless
05-15-2016, 12:00 AM
http://lifehacker.com/five-best-mobile-hotspots-1523254435 <-- more portable options than above

displacedinMN
05-15-2016, 05:47 AM
would using a 4g card be faster?

http://www.verizonwireless.com/home-office-solutions/verizon-lte-internet-and-home-phone/ <--- one example, theres lots of different LTE/4g stuff

need more data. We can burn through 5 gigs like (insert joke here)

bigbucks24
05-15-2016, 08:59 AM
Worst ever. Had it for 2 years. When we moved, finding good internet was one of the priorities. The latency is ridiculous. No chance of playing ANY games. The updates alone will eat up all your data. No streaming. Eats up data. Once you hit your data cap, you can either buy more or you go to dial-up speed. Yes, dial-up speed. Even simple things like d/l a book on Kindle eats up a tremendous amount of data. Even when you have data, it's slow and the delay for everything is awful. I thought I would be able to deal with it, but I was wrong. We would not even look at a house that didn't get Centurylink (no Comcast in the mountains). Finally found a place with 40mb.

displacedinMN
05-15-2016, 09:14 AM
all good info.

After looking at hotspots today and info here, I have decided to pass on satellite and go with our current situation.

I may ask a neighbor, but we are far enough away from people that the wireless is at the end of the range.

rep coming

jjchieffan
05-15-2016, 11:34 AM
I hate it. But, like you, my only other option is my cellphone. Fortunately, I still have unlimited grandfathered on my Verizon plan, so that helps. I use the satellite for surfing and email occasionally on my laptop, but I mostly use my smartphone. My daughter plays Minecraft using it and is always frustrated by the lag time. If I want to stream video, I use a tethering program on my smartphone to the laptop, then go from the laptop to the TV with HDMI because it's nearly impossible with the satellite and if I can stream, then I use up my cap way too fast. Trust me. Don't go satellite.

oldman
05-15-2016, 02:10 PM
I have it as there is no alternative but dial up here. It's expensive, you have hard data caps, and it goes down every time it thunders. You won't be gaming or streaming, either. I have Exede and it's $80 a month for 15 gig, $10 per gig after that. The speed is OK, or at least for what I do.

BryanBusby
05-15-2016, 05:25 PM
need more data. We can burn through 5 gigs like (insert joke here)
Maybe shop around the carriers. I think Sprint has pretty good data plans, but I'd understand just sticking with the current shit if you could get Comcast out in a month.

I'm lazy as hell and would probably wait.

kccrow
05-15-2016, 05:49 PM
Not only no, fuck no. And DSL sucks too in my opinion. If it isn't cable or fiber, then it's not really worth it.

That said, I'm patiently awaiting that nationwide gigabit wifi idea talked about a few years back though.

HemiEd
05-15-2016, 06:53 PM
Moved into a new house.

NO INTERNET!!!!!!!!! I am using my mobile phone as a modem. But that cannot last forever.

Neither has contacted me yet. I will start my bug the shit out of them campaign Monday.

Thanks in advance.We had Hughes for a couple of months, awful. I don't play games but we still ran out of juice in a couple of days. We bought the upgrade and it still wasn't enough. I had to buy out of the contract. I hate them.
Centurylink is very good once they fixed their antique wiring outside.

displacedinMN
05-16-2016, 07:56 AM
Centurylink called at 7:10 this morning-I was surprised.

He said that it would be at least a month, but he was coming to do a site survey today.
Must have not liked when I said I would call him once a week. He will call and update me when there are things to update.

He talked that with the new building boom, they were behind getting service to places.
Hmm

DaveNull
05-16-2016, 10:02 AM
LTE is surprisingly good off one of the hotspots. I relied on it before I got internet set up at my new place and it worked pretty well. Watched most of a season of Trailer Park Boys and you would have thought I was still on TWC.

It's just costly. Hopefully CenturyLink gets you hooked up.

BWillie
05-16-2016, 12:52 PM
My dad lives in the country, and gets max 1.0 mbps via Century Link. The only other option is Satellite which can get about 5mbps. The thing that sucks is you can't get unlimited, and if you go over a very small amt of data you pay per GB.

HemiEd
05-16-2016, 01:34 PM
My dad lives in the country, and gets max 1.0 mbps via Century Link. The only other option is Satellite which can get about 5mbps. The thing that sucks is you can't get unlimited, and if you go over a very small amt of data you pay per GB.

We have unlimited on Centurylink and once they got all the wires out on the pole connected it is pretty fast.

It did take over a year and numerous service trips for a guy to actually care enough to troubleshoot and fix the real problem though.

Valiant
05-16-2016, 02:07 PM
Moved into a new house.

Thanks in advance.

Why cant you use your phone? They sell tether plans. You could do short term and add it to your plan then cancel.

displacedinMN
05-16-2016, 03:55 PM
Why cant you use your phone? They sell tether plans. You could do short term and add it to your plan then cancel.

I am doing that right now. I do have unlimited data on my mobile phone but that's not a solution for the rest of the family. Sometimes when I'm doing school work I need to run things up to computers just so I can see it all. A split screen Sometimes when I'm doing school work I need to run things off of two computers just so I can see it all.

Aspengc8
05-16-2016, 09:38 PM
Moved into a new house.

Thanks in advance.

Why didn't you ask about service options when you were looking at the house prior to purchase? Satellite might be your only option. Triple play provders arent't going to spend 50k in costs just to get you online, unless the rest of the neighborhood is showing interest.

displacedinMN
05-17-2016, 06:48 AM
Why didn't you ask about service options when you were looking at the house prior to purchase? Satellite might be your only option. Triple play provders arent't going to spend 50k in costs just to get you online, unless the rest of the neighborhood is showing interest.

We are in the middle of a metro area. Everyone and their dog around us is connected. Less than 100 years in any direction

The developer said there would be service. The city would not allow it otherwise.

Aspengc8
05-17-2016, 07:03 AM
We are in the middle of a metro area. Everyone and their dog around us is connected. Less than 100 years in any direction

The developer said there would be service. The city would not allow it otherwise.

So who is providing your voice/video now? Comcast? From a service provider point of view, the city has no impact on which telco providers build into a development, or if any want to at all depending on cost. As long as there are poles or conduit there, someone will build into the area. Glad you will be getting service though, satellite does suck.

displacedinMN
05-17-2016, 07:34 AM
So who is providing your voice/video now? Comcast? From a service provider point of view, the city has no impact on which telco providers build into a development, or if any want to at all depending on cost. As long as there are poles or conduit there, someone will build into the area. Glad you will be getting service though, satellite does suck.

MPLS area Comcast and Centurylink.

Aspengc8
05-17-2016, 08:07 AM
MPLS area Comcast and Centurylink.

What do you mean by Comcast AND Centurylink? So one of them is providing you Voice and Video over IP (MPLS) and they can't give you internet access? That makes no sense..

displacedinMN
05-17-2016, 10:20 AM
What do you mean by Comcast AND Centurylink? So one of them is providing you Voice and Video over IP (MPLS) and they can't give you internet access? That makes no sense..

Again, I have NO phone, internet, VOIP. Both are available in the area. Neither have hooked up to my new house, or hooked anything from the outside world to the development. Comcast has run something, but I do not know if there are wires in the tube. Centurylink-Zero in the ground

Right now, Google does not know I exist. I get mail, but when I put my address into the PO website, it is not recognized. I am almost an unperson.

Aspengc8
05-17-2016, 11:28 AM
Again, I have NO phone, internet, VOIP. Both are available in the area. Neither have hooked up to my new house, or hooked anything from the outside world to the development. Comcast has run something, but I do not know if there are wires in the tube. Centurylink-Zero in the ground

Right now, Google does not know I exist. I get mail, but when I put my address into the PO website, it is not recognized. I am almost an unperson.

Ok, I misread it. Sounded to me like you had video & voice, just no IP. :D

ct
05-17-2016, 03:28 PM
This is a new development in an established community. Houses around me are from the 60's.
Apparently someone did not run the cable/phone through the development. Which means nothing is there and it will take time to connect to the outside world. Someone, somewhere dropped the ball.

no offense, but you might be the one that dropped the ball, if you didn't ask anything about any of that

displacedinMN
05-17-2016, 04:47 PM
CT: I have thought about that, but was told it was going to be available.
Maybe I should have asked when would it be available.

As I have talked to the person that sold the house, she was surprised it was not in either. She assumed it was done.

They are putting in fiber in between the boxes today. He would not commit to when it would come to the house. Said that was another company.

My God-this world. Can you imagine what would happen if my student asked me "Mr. Displaced-When will the test be?" Me. "I don't know. Some time. I don't want to guess now."

displacedinMN
05-17-2016, 07:31 PM
To top it all off the guy moving in across the street is a Broncos fan he's going to get a rude awakening on game day

lewdog
05-17-2016, 07:42 PM
To top it all off the guy moving in across the street is a Broncos fan he's going to get a rude awakening on game day

Flaming bags of shit on his doorstep each game day.

displacedinMN
05-17-2016, 08:36 PM
Flaming bags of shit on his doorstep each game day.

By the time his house is built, the arrowheads will be on the truck and the flags will be flying.
I have a red door. Orange is not an option.

displacedinMN
06-03-2016, 03:43 PM
Comcast says it has internet to our house. I am going to get service next week.
Calling them today

displacedinMN
06-04-2016, 10:04 AM
called today. They gave me access to xfinity mobile hot spots. We have a lot in the area.
Back to cilivlzation

Not my first choice, but the first to get service to me. Should be set up sometime this week.

Mr. Laz
06-04-2016, 01:37 PM
With as much rain fade outage as we get from satellite there is no why i would trust it with my internet.

displacedinMN
06-19-2016, 07:21 PM
Comcast/Xfinity finally came through. I am back to the connected world.
We moved in March 22. Internet June 19.

Kids are watching netflix.

Below is the speed test