PDA

View Full Version : Life Stupid Tourist Tricks

Pages : [1] 2

Bwana
05-15-2016, 07:51 AM
https://theclassicgentleman.files.wordpress.com/2011/05/tourist-192_449580a.jpg (https://www.google.com/url?sa=i&rct=j&q=&esrc=s&source=images&cd=&cad=rja&uact=8&ved=0ahUKEwj8rvuYxpfNAhUTwWMKHdfnD8cQjRwIBw&url=https%3A%2F%2Ftheclassicgentleman.net%2F2011%2F05%2Fpage%2F3%2F&psig=AFQjCNEPGk-J4NfTGLWAQ700wYCK8OfQHA&ust=1465444873144892)

It's off to a fast start already this year! A list of incidents involving people trying to obtain the coveted Darwin Award. I will keep you up to date of all the stupid tourist tricks.

This yesterday: We thought it was cold! (this is a first) LMAO
http://www.ktvq.com/story/31975424/yellowstone-national-park-tourists-pick-up-bison-calf-worried-it-was-cold

https://encrypted-tbn0.gstatic.com/images?q=tbn:ANd9GcQGyLA0IA9zrzcoGwmb7kM-Il_Z2YWCLsPEUSLv9bnHmZwlPe12

How this lady lived and was not gored is beyond me: Buy a Powerball ticket lady:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Zfk1O9_quxs

This from last week: Amazing no one got taken out:
http://www.krtv.com/story/31915893/visitors-get-too-close-to-bison-in-yellowstone-national-park-video

Much of the time, this is what happens: Fat guy vs Bison https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PNvTHOrTf_Y

At this rate, it should be a record year for goring incidents, Chinese tourists seem particularly clueless. So far no goring's, but it's coming.

If you have any from your area, post them up.

lewdog
05-15-2016, 08:17 AM
Where were the tourists from that picked up the bison? My friends on Facebook from Montana were having a field with it. So hilarious.

Bwana
05-15-2016, 08:21 AM
Where were the tourists from that picked up the bison? My friends on Facebook from Montana were having a field with it. So hilarious.

It didn't say, but the Chinese tourists have been on a roll so far. I'll keep you posted as more information comes out. ROFL My guess is that thing pissed all over the inside of the rental, I would guess there will be a bit of a penalty fee upon returning the rig. "Sir, we are going to have to charge you $1500.00 for the Bison wizz in the back of the minivan!"

kcpasco
05-15-2016, 08:33 AM
I'd like to see them try and save a grizzly cub they think is cold.

Dave Lane
05-15-2016, 08:35 AM
Then there is this idiot. Rock climbing at 3am

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/4WDO37UNWsc" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

lewdog
05-15-2016, 08:35 AM
It didn't say, but the Chinese tourists have been on a roll so far. I'll keep you posted as more information comes out. ROFL My guess is that thing pissed all over the inside of the rental, I would guess there will be a bit of a penalty fee upon returning the rig. "Sir, we are going to have to charge you $1500.00 for the Bison wizz in the back of the minivan!"

ROFL

Bison wizz!

ROFL

Bwana
05-15-2016, 08:36 AM
I'd like to see them try and save a grizzly cub they think is cold.

The way things have been going, it honestly wouldn't surprise me.

Bwana
05-15-2016, 08:54 AM
ROFL

Bison wizz!

ROFL

It turned into an expensive trip quickly for the confused tourists. I'll be interested to find out what the dollar amount of the fine was after they showed up with a bison in the back of the minivan at the ranger station. I thought I had see it all regarding tourist's until reading that story this morning.

I mean you know there is going to be numerous goring's "because bison look slow, stupid, seem tame and after all, it is a National park" AKA a big petting zoo in some people's minds. "Worst case scenario, we could outrun that big fat thing, break out the selfie stick and lets stand next to it!" What's even more amazing to me is the people that stalk a grizzly for the close up shot and get the Tim Treadwell treatment.

Donger
05-15-2016, 09:52 AM
Heh. Reminds of the tourists who get out of their cars to feed the Bighorn sheep here, particularly on Mt. Evans. It's a loooong way down, flatlander.

POND_OF_RED
05-15-2016, 10:27 AM
This brings back a lot of memories. Used to give park tours through Yellowstone and I don't miss it one bit. Tourists are the worst there. We had quite a few guests that actually thought that bear spray was like bug spray that they should spray on themselves as some sort of bear repellant. I really wish I didn't have to correct them sometimes just to see them do it

DaFace
05-15-2016, 10:36 AM
These guys are lucky that Mama Bison wasn't around or they probably wouldn't have been in any state to drive away.

rtmike
05-15-2016, 01:37 PM
My hometown of Hays, Kansas has a city park with a bison enclosure.

The park was home to many all nighters & more than one occasion some drunk thinks he can ride one.

They ended up replacing the fence to keep the drunks from snuggling up next to one during a chilly morning.

LoneWolf
05-15-2016, 01:57 PM
My hometown of Hays, Kansas has a city park with a bison enclosure.

The park was home to many all nighters & more than one occasion some drunk thinks he can ride one.

They ended up replacing the fence to keep the drunks from snuggling up next to one during a chilly morning.

My best friend in high school attended Fort Hays State University. I visited him a few times during his 4 years there. He told me a story about a student getting gored while attempting to tip over a bison one night. I ever knew if the story was true and I always had my doubts because he told the story after we had drank about a dozen fish bowls at The Golden Cue.

Buehler445
05-15-2016, 02:35 PM

GOTTA be the Chinese.

One of the excursions on our cruise for our honeymoon was a bus tour of Catalina island. It wasn't bad. Got to see the sights, some interesting shit. A little perplexing because the island is all about returning it to original ecology after the pigs and goat infestation and the bald eagle ddt thing but they're TOTALLY cool with buffalo even though they aren't indigenous.

Anyway. There were a bunch of Chinese tourists and they totally melted down about the buffalo. They were little specs on the horizon and they were freaking out. Making the dude back up and shit. I'd never seen anything like it.

So then the next year we went to Rushmore and down through the preserves there. And there were Chinese tourists blocking motherfucking traffic to take pictures of ... You guessed it. Fucking buffalo. Wife and I were epic pissed.

So now it's a running joke between us that any time there is stupid shit happening we tell each other there must be buffalo around LOL.

Hell of it is there is a feedlot here that, at least at the time had 15,000 or so buffalo being fed out. Plus there is a herd on grass of a hundred or so. There is no way I could give less of a shit about buffalo. Unless of course I get to see one light one of these fuckers up.

Rain Man
05-15-2016, 03:00 PM
This brings back a lot of memories. Used to give park tours through Yellowstone and I don't miss it one bit. Tourists are the worst there. We had quite a few guests that actually thought that bear spray was like bug spray that they should spray on themselves as some sort of bear repellant. I really wish I didn't have to correct them sometimes just to see them do it

I wonder if that would keep the bears away.

rockymtnchief
05-15-2016, 03:19 PM

Nope. It's not a big enough dose and the theory is that a bear might get curious what the smell is and investigate where it's coming from. A ranger told us that after my buddy sprayed his tent in bear country.

tmax63
05-15-2016, 03:59 PM

Nahhh, it's more like sauce on a hot wing to humans.

KChiefs1
05-15-2016, 04:05 PM
Love videos like this.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

DaFace
05-16-2016, 12:56 PM
Well now this just plain sucks.

Park rangers euthanize bison calf transported by Yellowstone visitors
After the herd rejected the calf, the National Park Service put it down and warned against interacting with animals

http://www.denverpost.com/news/ci_29899290/park-rangers-euthanize-bison-calf-transported-by-yellowstone

BigRichard
05-16-2016, 01:05 PM

http://www.denverpost.com/news/ci_29899290/park-rangers-euthanize-bison-calf-transported-by-yellowstone

It is possible it was already rejected and that is why they found it alone. Not that I am a huge PETA fan but I would think if they wanted to they could have kept the thing alive and raised it. Or at the least I would think someone would have taken it to hand raise it.

Frosty
05-16-2016, 01:12 PM
Anyway. There were a bunch of Chinese tourists and they totally melted down about the buffalo. They were little specs on the horizon and they were freaking out. Making the dude back up and shit. I'd never seen anything like it.

We went on a trip several years ago where we went to some of the NPs in Utah (Bryce, Zion) and then the Grand Canyon. When you are in Zion NP, you have to take a bus down the valley, with stops along the way where you get out to see the sights and then just catch the next bus when you are ready to go on.

Anyway, we are on the bus which is overcrowded with mainly Asian tourists. The bus stops suddenly because there is a deer along the roadway. I thought the bus was going to tip over the way they all rushed over to that side of the bus to see the deer. We sat there for quite awhile while they snapped pictures and cooed over this scraggly mule deer. :shake:

Then, when we were leaving the Grand Canyon NP, traffic suddenly comes to a halt because there are some elk along the roadway and this guy just stops his car in the middle of the road to see them. He then jumps out of the car with what I assume is his 7-8 year old daughter so they can try to pet this full sized elk. :facepalm:

displacedinMN
05-16-2016, 01:21 PM
Some people don't understand that animals don't need us to rescue them. They did fine without us getting in the way, and will continue to if we leave them alone.

ChiefsCountry
05-16-2016, 01:24 PM
I refuse to say anything bad about tourists since the majority of my income comes from them. I will keep my mouth shut but the stories are great.

Frosty
05-16-2016, 01:24 PM
Some people don't understand that animals don't need us to rescue them. They did fine without us getting in the way, and will continue to if we leave them alone.

But

http://i.imgur.com/5qvgzLd.jpg

Valiant
05-16-2016, 02:11 PM

I was reading a news article that I think it is Greece will be importing Chinese police to help control Chinese tourists since they love doing dumb shit and damaging priceless landmarks.

Chinese people are doing their best to keep the worst national tourist mantle.

Valiant
05-16-2016, 02:23 PM
GOTTA be the Chinese.

One of the excursions on our cruise for our honeymoon was a bus tour of Catalina island. It wasn't bad. Got to see the sights, some interesting shit. A little perplexing because the island is all about returning it to original ecology after the pigs and goat infestation and the bald eagle ddt thing but they're TOTALLY cool with buffalo even though they aren't indigenous.

So then the next year we went to Rushmore and down through the preserves there. And there were Chinese tourists blocking mother****ing traffic to take pictures of ... You guessed it. ****ing buffalo. Wife and I were epic pissed.

So now it's a running joke between us that any time there is stupid shit happening we tell each other there must be buffalo around LOL.

Hell of it is there is a feedlot here that, at least at the time had 15,000 or so buffalo being fed out. Plus there is a herd on grass of a hundred or so. There is no way I could give less of a shit about buffalo. Unless of course I get to see one light one of these ****ers up.

I get it, they do not have any bison there. When I was doing my thesis in college I came across some old photos of some herds in the plains. There were millions of bison in the photo. Millions it was insane. They were like squirrels. I think they said 30-40million bison at one time was the largest of the population.

Missouri has a decent population.

Otter
05-16-2016, 02:28 PM
I ran across this story yesterday while eating lunch and swear the Christ the first thing that came across my mind was the Yellowstone Park stories you were telling me. And now this thread.

Custer State Park visitor hurt by buffalo (http://www.argusleader.com/story/news/crime/2016/05/13/custer-state-park-visitor-hurt-buffalo/84321896/)

CUSTER STATE PARK – Custer State Park officials say a visitor was hospitalized Thursday after suffering injuries while getting too close to a buffalo.

Officials say the visitor was injured along Wildlife Loop Road and was flown to a Rapid City hospital.

Park Superintendent Matt Snyder says buffalo are wild animals, and visitors are urged to keep a safe distance.

Officials didn’t release the person’s name or the extent of the injuries. Park rangers are continuing to look into the incident.

http://www.gannett-cdn.com/-mm-/d3f5b87c16aac82e15e24238dd103535e8ce2975/c=0-56-469-409&r=x404&c=534x401/local/-/media/2016/05/13/SiouxFalls/SiouxFalls/635987412945204028-buffalo.PNG

Custer County South Dakota Emergency Management said on its Facebook page (https://www.facebook.com/Custer-County-South-Dakota-Emergency-Management-428092564036019/): "DO NOT TRY TO PET THE BUFFALO! A 50 year old woman from Missouri did not heed the warning signs from a 5 year old bull buffalo today in Custer State Park and was gored. She was lifeflighted to Rapid City Regional hospital."

Rain Man
05-16-2016, 02:43 PM
I ran across this story yesterday while eating lunch and swear the Christ the first thing that came across my mind was the Yellowstone Park stories you were telling me. And now this thread.

Custer State Park visitor hurt by buffalo (http://www.argusleader.com/story/news/crime/2016/05/13/custer-state-park-visitor-hurt-buffalo/84321896/)

CUSTER STATE PARK – Custer State Park officials say a visitor was hospitalized Thursday after suffering injuries while getting too close to a buffalo.

Officials say the visitor was injured along Wildlife Loop Road and was flown to a Rapid City hospital.

Park Superintendent Matt Snyder says buffalo are wild animals, and visitors are urged to keep a safe distance.

Officials didn’t release the person’s name or the extent of the injuries. Park rangers are continuing to look into the incident.

http://www.gannett-cdn.com/-mm-/d3f5b87c16aac82e15e24238dd103535e8ce2975/c=0-56-469-409&r=x404&c=534x401/local/-/media/2016/05/13/SiouxFalls/SiouxFalls/635987412945204028-buffalo.PNG

Custer County South Dakota Emergency Management said on its Facebook page (https://www.facebook.com/Custer-County-South-Dakota-Emergency-Management-428092564036019/): "DO NOT TRY TO PET THE BUFFALO! A 50 year old woman from Missouri did not heed the warning signs from a 5 year old bull buffalo today in Custer State Park and was gored. She was lifeflighted to Rapid City Regional hospital."

So we now know that the problem is Chinese and Missourians.

Otter
05-16-2016, 02:56 PM
So we now know that the problem is Chinese and Missourians. It is the the "show me state". I wonder what the Chinese's problem is?

DJ's left nut
05-16-2016, 03:05 PM
It is possible it was already rejected and that is why they found it alone. Not that I am a huge PETA fan but I would think if they wanted to they could have kept the thing alive and raised it. Or at the least I would think someone would have taken it to hand raise it.

That's my thought.

A place I worked at in the summers always had buffalo on their property and those things are just 100 different kinds of stupid but they're also protective as hell. They had to go grab a sick calf once and mamma buffalo fucked their truck right up as they sprinted back to the truck, put the calf in the bed and got put enough distance between themselves and her to get through the gate and out. If a couple of tourists were close enough to pick that thing up and put it in their SUV, it almost had to have been rejected already.

We had some pretty scary shit go down with those buffalo. One of them flipped a truck over just trying to scratch itself on the fender; hooked a shoulder and tipped the thing over like it was a matchbox car. We had another one jump down into a watering trough with us (the trough was on the downside of a fairly steep hill). I suspect it had no idea we were down there and we definitely didn't realize it had come near us. It hopped down and had us cornered. I gave it a baseball swing with a broom and it startled just enough for us to scramble around it, down the trough and out. Look in the eyes on those things and there's really nothing there. They can hurt people on accident because they're just really really big and really really dumb.

Rain Man
05-16-2016, 03:36 PM
It is the the "show me state". I wonder what the Chinese's problem is?

"Show Me" sounds like it could be a Chinese word. Maybe that's its origin.

Eleazar
05-16-2016, 03:38 PM
There's a video on YouTube of someone messing with a buffalo, and it ends with the dude being flipped up into a tree.

Bwana
05-16-2016, 04:18 PM
There's a video on YouTube of someone messing with a buffalo, and it ends with the dude being flipped up into a tree.

Yeah it's the last link in the OP. That looks like a big old boy and the bison tossed him like a twig.

Bugeater
05-16-2016, 06:01 PM
Snapped this pic of a Darwin Award candidate at Yellowstone last year. He was not Chinese btw.

https://scontent-ord1-1.xx.fbcdn.net/v/t1.0-9/11998929_1159740814039503_4927036804231676729_n.jpg?oh=10533d8752c18ce5de02bd6d8798cbda&oe=579A143B

KChiefs1
05-16-2016, 06:09 PM

News has been circulating on social media about people putting a bison calf in their car. The story is true, and its sad conclusion highlights the importance of keeping a safe distance from park wildlife. Here’s the full account:

Last week, visitors were cited for placing a newborn bison calf in their vehicle and transporting it to a park facility because of their misplaced concern for the animal's welfare. In terms of human safety, this was a dangerous activity because adult animals are very protective of their young and will act aggressively to defend them. In addition, interference by people can cause mothers to reject their offspring. In this case, park rangers tried repeatedly to reunite the newborn bison calf with the herd. These efforts failed. The bison calf was later euthanized because it was abandoned and causing a dangerous situation by continually approaching people and cars along the roadway.

In a recent viral video, a visitor approached within an arm's length of an adult bison in the Old Faithful area. Another video featured visitors posing for pictures with bison at extremely unsafe and illegal distances. Last year, five visitors were seriously injured when they approached bison too closely. Bison injure more visitors to Yellowstone than any other animal.

Approaching wild animals can drastically affect their well-being and, in this case, their survival. Park regulations require that you stay at least 25 yards (23 m) away from all wildlife (including bison, elk and deer) and at least 100 yards (91 m) away from bears and wolves. Disregarding these regulations can result in fines, injury, and even death. The safety of these animals, as well as human safety, depends on everyone using good judgment and following these simple rules.

Squalor2
05-16-2016, 08:02 PM

a bronco?

Rain Man
05-16-2016, 08:09 PM
Snapped this pic of a Darwin Award candidate at Yellowstone last year. He was not Chinese btw.

https://scontent-ord1-1.xx.fbcdn.net/v/t1.0-9/11998929_1159740814039503_4927036804231676729_n.jpg?oh=10533d8752c18ce5de02bd6d8798cbda&oe=579A143B

If he falls in, it'll take a thousand years for him to be digested.

Athis
05-17-2016, 07:24 AM
About twenty years ago me and the GF, at the time, took a trip to Yellowstone. There was an epic snowfall that year. So we did a snowmobile tour of a small area of the park. Given the snow fall the roads/paths had been plowed. The Bison were smart enough to use said roads/paths for their use. So deep into our tour we come around a turn and sure enough there are Bison on the road in single file walking. We had to pass within 6 feet of these massive animals only to have one swing his head and grunt at me. Made me a little concerned...the same tour later on, we on our way to a hot spring and had come to a stop. I look over I see a bush and hiding in there was a female Moose and her baby, I had another concern.

kcchiefsus
05-17-2016, 08:04 AM
I was reading a news article that I think it is Greece will be importing Chinese police to help control Chinese tourists since they love doing dumb shit and damaging priceless landmarks.

Chinese people are doing their best to keep the worst national tourist mantle.

Living in Korea I've encountered my fair share of ignorant Chinese tourists. Koreans can give them a run for their money when it comes to doing stupid shit though.

kcchiefsus
05-17-2016, 08:06 AM
It is the the "show me state". I wonder what the Chinese's problem is?

They are a country that is still full of uncultured and uncouth people.

Warrior5
05-17-2016, 08:21 AM

I'm not even a little PETA fan, and this makes sense to me. How about the Bison place at Fort Hayes mentioned earlier.

There are organizations that probably would have gladly taken this bison; why automatically put it down?

Bwana
05-17-2016, 08:47 AM
I'm not even a little PETA fan, and this makes sense to me. How about the Bison place at Fort Hayes mentioned earlier.

There are organizations that probably would have gladly taken this bison; why automatically put it down?

They did another story on it last night. Something tells me the people that gave the calf a joy ride in their rental are in for an expensive lesson.

http://www.ktvq.com/story/31988823/why-that-baby-bison-was-euthanized-and-not-relocated

Bwana
05-17-2016, 08:58 AM
ROFL

These guys are lucky to be alive as well. More guys that visited Yellowstone and left their brains at home.

http://www.ktvq.com/story/31986483/men-walk-on-grand-prismatic-spring-in-yellowstone-national-park

Eleazar
05-17-2016, 09:12 AM
"Show Me" sounds like it could be a Chinese word. Maybe that's its origin.

That baby bison didn't realize it was actually headed for Bo Ling's Chop Suey Palace

Lzen
05-17-2016, 09:23 AM
News has been circulating on social media about people putting a bison calf in their car. The story is true, and its sad conclusion highlights the importance of keeping a safe distance from park wildlife. Here’s the full account:

Last week, visitors were cited for placing a newborn bison calf in their vehicle and transporting it to a park facility because of their misplaced concern for the animal's welfare. In terms of human safety, this was a dangerous activity because adult animals are very protective of their young and will act aggressively to defend them. In addition, interference by people can cause mothers to reject their offspring. In this case, park rangers tried repeatedly to reunite the newborn bison calf with the herd. These efforts failed. The bison calf was later euthanized because it was abandoned and causing a dangerous situation by continually approaching people and cars along the roadway.

In a recent viral video, a visitor approached within an arm's length of an adult bison in the Old Faithful area. Another video featured visitors posing for pictures with bison at extremely unsafe and illegal distances. Last year, five visitors were seriously injured when they approached bison too closely. Bison injure more visitors to Yellowstone than any other animal.

Approaching wild animals can drastically affect their well-being and, in this case, their survival. Park regulations require that you stay at least 25 yards (23 m) away from all wildlife (including bison, elk and deer) and at least 100 yards (91 m) away from bears and wolves. Disregarding these regulations can result in fines, injury, and even death. The safety of these animals, as well as human safety, depends on everyone using good judgment and following these simple rules.

Why didn't they allow someone to adopt it so that they could eventually slaughter it for the meat? This seems like such a waste.

Lzen
05-17-2016, 09:30 AM
They did another story on it last night. Something tells me the people that gave the calf a joy ride in their rental are in for an expensive lesson.

http://www.ktvq.com/story/31988823/why-that-baby-bison-was-euthanized-and-not-relocated

Ok, that explains why it had to be euthanized.

Pennywise
05-17-2016, 09:52 AM
Ok, that explains why it had to be euthanized.

It doesn't explain why they didn't have a cookout.

Lzen
05-17-2016, 03:00 PM
It doesn't explain why they didn't have a cookout.

ROFL

lewdog
05-17-2016, 06:16 PM
ROFL

These guys are lucky to be alive as well. More guys that visited Yellowstone and left their brains at home.

http://www.ktvq.com/story/31986483/men-walk-on-grand-prismatic-spring-in-yellowstone-national-park

Wish those guys would have gotten 3rd degree burns.

jspchief
05-17-2016, 08:19 PM
Didn't the Chinese government have to start running public info campaigns recently telling their citizens it's not ok to defecate in public when visiting other countries? I'm not joking I think that's a real story.

Bwana
05-18-2016, 06:17 AM
Looks like the Bison wrangler was a French Canadian from Quebec.......figures.

http://trib.com/news/local/crime-and-courts/canadian-man-who-took-bison-calf-told-ranger-his-actions/article_1abc7f9d-5343-507c-8919-da7766d70fb0.html

tmax63
05-18-2016, 06:22 AM
You'd of thought they could of found a buffalo ranch somewhere close that needed a new bloodline that could of taken care of it.

rockymtnchief
05-18-2016, 06:26 AM
You'd of thought they could of found a buffalo ranch somewhere close that needed a new bloodline that could of taken care of it.

They won't do that for fear of spreading brucellosis (sp) outside the park to other herds.

rockymtnchief
05-18-2016, 06:31 AM
ROFL

Those four guys are being fried on social media. Their Facebook pages have been closed and people are chewing their ass on other pages. It seems they have sponsorships for their adventures (Bud Lite being one of them) and people have petitions against them. From what I read yesterday, it sounds like they've gone off the paths at other parks and monuments also.

Bwana
05-18-2016, 06:51 AM
Those four guys are being fried on social media. Their Facebook pages have been closed and people are chewing their ass on other pages. It seems they have sponsorships for their adventures (Bud Lite being one of them) and people have petitions against them. From what I read yesterday, it sounds like they've gone off the paths at other parks and monuments also.

Well hell, we need to talk to the Bud Lite boys to see if they will send all the new found sponsor money our way to cover our adventures. :D

rockymtnchief
05-18-2016, 07:04 AM
Well hell, we need to talk to the Bud Lite boys to see if they will send all the new found sponsor money our way to cover our adventures. :D

:clap: You aint a shittin! I know how to stay on paths, drink beer and not be a douchebag (most of the time)!

rockymtnchief
05-18-2016, 07:08 AM
http://www.jhnewsandguide.com/gallery/gallery---four-men-under-investigation-for-walk-on/collection_cf894e74-13f0-5fe0-bd2c-e978fbae4cd2.html/?page=1

What do you know...they're Canadian too.

Four Canadian men have become the center of a Yellowstone National Park law enforcement investigation after they posted photos and video of themselves walking on the Grand Prismatic Spring and the nearby crater of the Excelsior Geyser.
The men, tagged on Facebook as Justis Cooper, Alexey Lyakh, Hamish McNab Campbell Cross and Ryker Gamble, have posted extensively in recent weeks about what they dubbed “The Great American Road Trip,” which included a recent stop in Yellowstone.

Dave Lane
05-18-2016, 09:59 AM
http://www.jhnewsandguide.com/gallery/gallery---four-men-under-investigation-for-walk-on/collection_cf894e74-13f0-5fe0-bd2c-e978fbae4cd2.html/?page=1

I may or may not have stepped off the path a time or two for a photo. Not like they did mind you but a couple steps here or there

I have a rule. If grass is growing there it is safe :D

SAUTO
05-18-2016, 10:04 AM
I may or may not have stepped off the path a time or two for a photo. Not like they did mind you but a couple steps here or there

Hopefully it isn't an endangered grass...:D

Dave Lane
05-18-2016, 10:08 AM
Hopefully it isn't an endangered grass...:D

Actually several rangers there know me and I'm sort of a minor celebrity there. One of the rangers told me, its better to beg forgiveness than it is to ask permission.

So I stick to the rules :D

SAUTO
05-18-2016, 10:38 AM
Actually several rangers there know me and I'm sort of a minor celebrity there. One of the rangers told me, its better to beg forgiveness than it is to ask permission.

So I stick to the rules :D

My life motto.

DaFace
05-18-2016, 11:29 AM

That probably works when you're not at altitude. I can't even count the number of times I've wanted to throw rocks at people walking on the tundra in Rocky Mountain National Park (often in order to approach an elk more closely).

It's infuriating.

DJ's left nut
05-18-2016, 02:29 PM
So yellowstone folks - educate me here.

I presume the reason we do not walk on the spring is because it would interfere with the algae blooms that give the spring its color?

I mean, to me it looks like a fairly benign, if hot, body of water that probably isn't going to be badly disturbed by human presence. At least not any more so than countless other natural features in the nation that we allow people to go traipsing about. I think of Yosemite in particular as a place just full of stuff where people are allowed to go just about anywhere that won't kill them (and sometimes places that will).

Algae blooms are pretty much impossible to really damage so long as the nutrients that feed them remain in the water. Seeing as how those nutrients are likely coming from deep within the earth, i figure we can't do much to disturb that.

I'm sure I'm incredibly wrong here, I'm just curious as to why I'm wrong and what it is I don't understand.

lewdog
05-18-2016, 02:53 PM
Both groups are Canadians.

Shocker.

There's a reason I fucking hate Canada and it starts with the people!

Rain Man
05-18-2016, 03:02 PM

I presume the reason we do not walk on the spring is because it would interfere with the algae blooms that give the spring its color?

I mean, to me it looks like a fairly benign, if hot, body of water that probably isn't going to be badly disturbed by human presence. At least not any more so than countless other natural features in the nation that we allow people to go traipsing about. I think of Yosemite in particular as a place just full of stuff where people are allowed to go just about anywhere that won't kill them (and sometimes places that will).

Algae blooms are pretty much impossible to really damage so long as the nutrients that feed them remain in the water. Seeing as how those nutrients are likely coming from deep within the earth, i figure we can't do much to disturb that.

I'm sure I'm incredibly wrong here, I'm just curious as to why I'm wrong and what it is I don't understand.

I think it's primarily because you can step in the wrong spot and collapse the dirt so that you sink knee deep into boiling water.

DJ's left nut
05-18-2016, 03:05 PM
I think it's primarily because you can step in the wrong spot and collapse the dirt so that you sink knee deep into boiling water.

I didn't think it was that hot around the edges; that's why the algae can grow out there (and why it's so blue in the center; extremely hot where it's flowing out, makes it sterile there and thus very blue). In the area where they were walking, I figure you'd just be at 'hot bath' temperatures.

I totally get not wanting a tide of tourists just walking through there, but it seems unlikely to me that these guys could've actually done any real damage. Hell, it seems unlikely to me that they couldn't take a couple of groups out there daily to 'see the spring' and guide them apart from the liability issues associated with taking anyone onto a shifting mud surface.

This just seems like a lot of people are upset about all the damage these guys could've done but I really don't think they could do much; algae's sturdy shit.

eDave
05-18-2016, 03:06 PM
I try very hard NOT to look like a tourist.

Buehler445
05-18-2016, 03:11 PM
That probably works when you're not at altitude. I can't even count the number of times I've wanted to throw rocks at people walking on the tundra in Rocky Mountain National Park (often in order to approach an elk more closely).

It's infuriating.

I so need to come visit. I'll throw rocks. I'm not scared. We just need to leave the wives at home. Mine might not be happy if I bounce a rock off some dudes dome. :D

jspchief
05-18-2016, 03:15 PM

A huge number of people go to Yellowstone every year. One or two people leaving the path of the popular areas likely doesn't hurt anything. But if thousands of people did it, everything would eventually be trampled to dirt and mud. So instead they create designated paths to contain the impact of thousands of humans to specific areas.

This is just my guess.

scorpio
05-18-2016, 04:16 PM
http://abcnews.go.com/US/teen-gored-posing-photo-bison-yellowstone-national-park/story?id=31095299

Jesus fucking christ.

A teenage girl visiting Yellowstone National Park suffered serious injuries when she tried to pose for a photo next to a bison.

The 16-year-old Taiwanese exchange student and her host family were hiking near Old Faithful Geyser on Friday afternoon when they came across a bison grazing, according to a news release from the National Park Service. The group was between 3 and 6 feet away from the animal at the time.

When the teen turned her back to the bison to have her picture taken, the bison took a few steps and "gored her," the National Park Service reported.

DJ's left nut
05-18-2016, 04:25 PM
http://abcnews.go.com/US/teen-gored-posing-photo-bison-yellowstone-national-park/story?id=31095299

Jesus fucking christ.

That's a year old.

But yeah, they'll do that. Don't fuck with buffalo.

Bwana
05-18-2016, 05:19 PM
That's a year old.

But yeah, they'll do that. Don't **** with buffalo.

True but trust me, the bison are just getting warmed up for the start of tourist season. :D More selfie sticks and their owners will go air born before long.

Rain Man
05-18-2016, 05:30 PM
I didn't think it was that hot around the edges; that's why the algae can grow out there (and why it's so blue in the center; extremely hot where it's flowing out, makes it sterile there and thus very blue). In the area where they were walking, I figure you'd just be at 'hot bath' temperatures.

I totally get not wanting a tide of tourists just walking through there, but it seems unlikely to me that these guys could've actually done any real damage. Hell, it seems unlikely to me that they couldn't take a couple of groups out there daily to 'see the spring' and guide them apart from the liability issues associated with taking anyone onto a shifting mud surface.

This just seems like a lot of people are upset about all the damage these guys could've done but I really don't think they could do much; algae's sturdy shit.

I don't know if it applies in this exact area or not, but presume it does. When I was there a few years ago there were signs saying that the ground was not always what it seemed and you risked serious injury by walking off the paths.

That said, the bison and elk completely ignored the signs and seemed to be fine.

scorpio
05-26-2016, 05:36 PM
I don't know if it applies in this exact area or not, but presume it does. When I was there a few years ago there were signs saying that the ground was not always what it seemed and you risked serious injury by walking off the paths.

That said, the bison and elk completely ignored the signs and seemed to be fine.

In almost all cases they weigh a lot less than us and have their weight distributed by 4 legs.

Dave Lane
05-26-2016, 08:54 PM

It's not the damage of one person. If everyone did it the place would be ruined in a week and there would be 100s of people in ER with serious burns. I have lots of cool photos I took there, they sell them in the giftshops there, but I never stepped on anything but grass. If the grass is growing its not hot below it and I wont contaminate the springs. Several of the pools have been stopped up because people threw pennies in the them.

Dave Lane
05-26-2016, 08:57 PM
In almost all cases they weigh a lot less than us and have their weight distributed by 4 legs.

Wut?

DaFace
05-26-2016, 09:01 PM
Wut?

Yeah, true in some cases, but bison and elk aren't exactly light as a feather.

POND_OF_RED
05-26-2016, 09:59 PM
I'm sure bison and elk get taken by sinkholes more than you think.

Dave Lane
05-27-2016, 06:12 AM
Yeah, true in some cases, but bison and elk aren't exactly light as a feather.

Ummmm have you ever seen a bison up close? I mean if you are talking about babies sure, But Elk and bison dwarf us in size.

Hydrae
05-27-2016, 07:59 AM
Ummmm have you ever seen a bison up close? I mean if you are talking about babies sure, But Elk and bison dwarf us in size.

Then there is the whole small footprint size by comparison to a human. Due to that, the pounds of pressure per square inch is much higher for a hoofed animal. I am quite sure they would be more likely to punch a hole than any human of any size.

scorpio
05-27-2016, 08:04 AM
Yeah sorry I didn't mean Bison and Elk weigh less than us, just that most wildlife in the park does. That said, I have never seen any Bison or Elk anywhere near any of the active geological features in the park.

Perineum Ripper
05-27-2016, 08:09 AM
True but trust me, the bison are just getting warmed up for the start of tourist season. :D More selfie sticks and their owners will go air born before long.

That's great to hear..I will be out there in July on my motorcycle..I can't wait for all these dipshits to work them up then I will have to watch the bison rape my Harley as I hide in a tree

Rain Man
05-27-2016, 10:05 AM
Yeah sorry I didn't mean Bison and Elk weigh less than us, just that most wildlife in the park does. That said, I have never seen any Bison or Elk anywhere near any of the active geological features in the park.

I just assumed it was a statement about American obesity rates.

rockymtnchief
05-27-2016, 11:18 AM
That's great to hear..I will be out there in July on my motorcycle..I can't wait for all these dipshits to work them up then I will have to watch the bison rape my Harley as I hide in a tree

Try to hit the Beartooth Rally July 15-17. And once again, ride the Beartooths from Red Lodge to Cooke City. Don't take the Cody route. It's not the same!

Bwana
05-27-2016, 11:23 AM
Try to hit the Beartooth Rally July 15-17. And once again, ride the Beartooths from Red Lodge to Cooke City. Don't take the Cody route. It's not the same!

You're right, if you have never been that way it's a must. I go the Chief Joseph route now just to avoid old Granddad in Winnebago doing 5 MPH thinking he going to die. It keeps my blood pressure down and my .500 in the holster. :D

rockymtnchief
05-27-2016, 11:40 AM
You're right, if you have never been that way it's a must. I go the Chief Joseph route now just to avoid old Granddad in Winnebago doing 5 MPH thinking he going to die. It keeps my blood pressure down and my .500 in the holster. :D

Amen!

Although, If you've never been up the pass, you'll stop for pictures often enough to not worry about grandpa.

Perineum Ripper
05-27-2016, 12:02 PM

That's exactly where I am heading to..I appreciate the advice just the same

Bwana
05-27-2016, 12:04 PM
Amen!

Although, If you've never been up the pass, you'll stop for pictures often enough to not worry about grandpa.

Exactly

SAUTO
05-27-2016, 04:15 PM
I'm sure bison and elk get taken by sinkholes more than you think.

Yeah, just no one is reporting it.

rockymtnchief
05-28-2016, 06:19 AM
Max Alonso and his wife came from Chile to visit Yellowstone. They were upset when they saw a group of people trying to feed a bear with two cubs.

He said, “They were trying to give a carrot to them.”
Scientist and educator Dr. Jim Halfpenny recalled, “And I was in the middle of our group, and I heard one of them say, ‘o, no. no please get back on the boardwalk.’ And I turned and had five foreign tourists, a group of three and a group of two, and they were off the boardwalk.”

http://www.nbcmontana.com/news/Park-officials-aim-to-curb-risky-behavior-in-Yellowstone/39765050

Dave Lane
05-28-2016, 07:17 AM

I have all the time. And footprints all over the place

Dave Lane
05-28-2016, 07:20 AM
Yeah, just no one is reporting it.

#Bison Lives Matter

Bwana
05-28-2016, 07:37 AM
I have all the time. And footprints all over the place

Yeah you're right Dave. There was a story a couple of years ago of some bison that wondered out and got burned badly. There were some nasty looking pictures to go along with the story. If I remember correctly they ended up putting a few down because of the 3rd degree burns.

chiefzilla1501
05-28-2016, 07:44 AM
http://www.nbcmontana.com/news/Park-officials-aim-to-curb-risky-behavior-in-Yellowstone/39765050

JFC.

Fuck rules and regulations. We need to go back to natural selection and just let these dumb motherfuckers weed themselves out.

Bwana
05-28-2016, 07:53 AM

I remember as a kid going through there a couple of times and dozens of bears would be everywhere along the road taking handouts from tourists. Bears would jump up on cars, stick their head in to get potato chips, and periodically jump in cars. Here is an example, on a side note the dude looks like Ted Kaczynski.

https://s-media-cache-ak0.pinimg.com/736x/fd/7b/3d/fd7b3dd22ef80c8cc7ad854803d0abd4.jpg (https://www.google.com/url?sa=i&rct=j&q=&esrc=s&source=images&cd=&cad=rja&uact=8&ved=0ahUKEwiAq8eu9fzMAhVY4GMKHUm7DGwQjRwIBw&url=https%3A%2F%2Fwww.pinterest.com%2Fpin%2F310044755567460721%2F&bvm=bv.123325700,d.cGc&psig=AFQjCNHAM0x1XaD6WWziDZVpgAXVMBHSpg&ust=1464529820115147)

And then there is this gem from last year. ROFL

http://bloximages.chicago2.vip.townnews.com/missoulian.com/content/tncms/assets/v3/editorial/2/21/22109c23-7f2f-52c7-b7a7-0efec65efd24/55ddfcdb9d35b.image.jpg

Bwana
05-28-2016, 08:03 AM
I also remember being caught in several Park traffic jams like this, which is why I avoid it like the plague in the summer.

http://images.hemmings.com/wp-content/uploads//2014/01/Yellowstone_04_2000.jpg (http://www.google.com/url?sa=i&rct=j&q=&esrc=s&source=images&cd=&cad=rja&uact=8&ved=0ahUKEwij-oim9_zMAhVDwGMKHdgeDFEQjRwIBw&url=http%3A%2F%2Fforums.kilometermagazine.com%2Fshowthread.php%3F5156036-Vintage-photos-Awesome!%2Fpage274&bvm=bv.123325700,d.cGc&psig=AFQjCNGCbO9yvm_5raTNOYUsfZ2Z86ganA&ust=1464530466979241)

jspchief
05-28-2016, 09:06 AM

That's because natural survival instincts outweigh human curiosity. An Elk doesn't give fuck all about how interesting the springs look. He just recognizes it's abnormal and nopes the hell out of there.

POND_OF_RED
05-28-2016, 08:53 PM
I also remember being caught in several Park traffic jams like this, which is why I avoid it like the plague in the summer

It was always the worst going to fish the Lamar from the north entrance. All the cars stop for the first buffalo they see and spend about 20 minutes parked taking pictures, only to find out there are hundreds more 15 more miles down the road. I'm going back to visit again this summer the week of the 4th of July. I'm dreading the drive through the park-especially that week. If I didn't have a friend coming with me thats never been there's no way I would go anywhere close to the park.

Mennonite
05-28-2016, 09:05 PM
I also remember being caught in several Park traffic jams like this, which is why I avoid it like the plague in the summer.

http://images.hemmings.com/wp-content/uploads//2014/01/Yellowstone_04_2000.jpg (http://www.google.com/url?sa=i&rct=j&q=&esrc=s&source=images&cd=&cad=rja&uact=8&ved=0ahUKEwij-oim9_zMAhVDwGMKHdgeDFEQjRwIBw&url=http%3A%2F%2Fforums.kilometermagazine.com%2Fshowthread.php%3F5156036-Vintage-photos-Awesome!%2Fpage274&bvm=bv.123325700,d.cGc&psig=AFQjCNGCbO9yvm_5raTNOYUsfZ2Z86ganA&ust=1464530466979241)

This picture was taken in 2016 - that's how long those cars have been stuck there.

Dartgod
05-28-2016, 10:14 PM
And then there is this gem from last year. ROFL

http://bloximages.chicago2.vip.townnews.com/missoulian.com/content/tncms/assets/v3/editorial/2/21/22109c23-7f2f-52c7-b7a7-0efec65efd24/55ddfcdb9d35b.image.jpg
They should find out where those poor folks are staying and drop a nice grizzly into their hotel room in the middle of the night.

Dave Lane
05-28-2016, 11:25 PM

Gus thought he saw a woodchuck.

Fucking hate that crap.

Bwana
05-29-2016, 06:05 AM
Gus thought he saw a woodchuck.

****ing hate that crap.

Probably a squirrel jam. "Look Marta a squirrel, STOP!!

Bwana
05-29-2016, 06:09 AM
It was always the worst going to fish the Lamar from the north entrance. All the cars stop for the first buffalo they see and spend about 20 minutes parked taking pictures, only to find out there are hundreds more 15 more miles down the road. I'm going back to visit again this summer the week of the 4th of July. I'm dreading the drive through the park-especially that week. If I didn't have a friend coming with me thats never been there's no way I would go anywhere close to the park.

I go to Cooke City almost every year for the 4th, but I don't venture the extra 3 miles into the park.

Bwana
05-31-2016, 10:38 AM
LMAO

http://www.ktvq.com/story/32101790/woman-meets-elk-takes-a-fall-in-yellowstone-national-park-video

YELLOWSTONE NATIONAL PARK -

Staying a safe distance from wildlife is not only the law, it's the smart thing to do.

Wild animals are dangerous, as shown in this video posted by REBOOT (http://bit.ly/1RIXIw8).
Last weekend in Yellowstone National Park, wildlife guide Jody Tibbitts caught a video of an elk that got fed up with a woman who got just a little too close.

According to Tibbitts, they pulled up to view an elk on the side of the road near West Thumb and saw a woman walking very close to the elk.

You can hear Tibbitts in the video warning her to back away, but before you know it the elk charges the woman and she stumbles backward and falls.

Fortunately, the woman didn't appear hurt.

Tibbitts then calls out to tell the woman that he was about to remind her that park regulations require visitors to stay at least 25 yards away from wild animals.

"It won't happen again!" she replied.
"I bet it won't!" Tibbitts said.

Lzen
05-31-2016, 02:30 PM
LMAO

http://www.ktvq.com/story/32101790/woman-meets-elk-takes-a-fall-in-yellowstone-national-park-video

Staying a safe distance from wildlife is not only the law, it's the smart thing to do.

Wild animals are dangerous, as shown in this video posted by REBOOT (http://bit.ly/1RIXIw8).
Last weekend in Yellowstone National Park, wildlife guide Jody Tibbitts caught a video of an elk that got fed up with a woman who got just a little too close.

According to Tibbitts, they pulled up to view an elk on the side of the road near West Thumb and saw a woman walking very close to the elk.

You can hear Tibbitts in the video warning her to back away, but before you know it the elk charges the woman and she stumbles backward and falls.

Fortunately, the woman didn't appear hurt.

Tibbitts then calls out to tell the woman that he was about to remind her that park regulations require visitors to stay at least 25 yards away from wild animals.

"It won't happen again!" she replied.
"I bet it won't!" Tibbitts said.
ROFL ROFL

Lonewolf Ed
05-31-2016, 02:39 PM
When I was in my teens, my dad bought a place on the Boulder River, about 30 miles north of Yellowstone, but you would have to drive around a mountain range, taking a good 3 hours to get there. We got the Billings Gazette and read about idiots in the park getting hurt or killed every year. When I hiked in the area, I was always and I mean always keeping my eyes open for wild animals. If I saw a moose, I'd stand still by a tree until it left. Never saw bears or mountain lions, but I often felt like they saw me... Once I saw a mink dive into the river after a fish and I thought to myself, "There is one of the few predators around here I don't have to worry about!" I still wouldn't have tried to go pet it.

Dave Lane
05-31-2016, 04:35 PM
Try filming by yourself in the dark a mile or two from any road or person, Yellowstone is fucking deserted at night, and then see if any of the splashes or gurgles sound weird in total darkness. And I'm usually without bear spray.

:D

Psyko Tek
06-01-2016, 12:12 AM

it were my problem, I would tell everybody we had to put it down, so nobody else did this kind of shit again...

scho63
06-01-2016, 04:03 PM
Woman With Camera Gets Too Close to Charging Elk
:shake::shake::shake:

http://abcnews.go.com/US/video/woman-camera-close-charging-elk-39524782

Dartgod
06-07-2016, 10:01 AM
More family fun at Yellowstone!

Boy burned at Yellowstone National Park thermal pool

BILLINGS -
A 13-year-old boy is recovering after he was burned at a thermal pool during a visit to Yellowstone National Park.

Park officials said the incident was initially reported Saturday evening near Morning Glory Pool, but both the teen and his father were located near Castle Geyser.

The boy sustained burns around one of his limbs, but officials would not say which limb or the extent of the burn, nor how it happened.

Officials declined to release more specific information about the incident, citing patient privacy, but they did say the boy was flown to a Salt Lake City hospital for treatment.

More here: http://www.krtv.com/story/32157664/boy-burned-at-yellowstone-national-park-thermal-pool

Here's another quote from that story. This shit pisses me off to no end.

Long a favored destination for park visitors, Morning Glory Pool was named in the 1880s for its remarkable likeness to its namesake flower. However, this beautiful pool has fallen victim to vandalism. People have thrown literally tons of coins, trash, rocks, and logs into the pool. Much of the debris subsequently became embedded in the sides and vent of the spring, affecting water circulation and accelerating the loss of thermal energy. Through the years Morning Glory's appearance has changed as its temperature dropped. Orange and yellow bacteria that formerly colored only the periphery of the spring now spread toward its center.

:# :# :#

Bwana
06-07-2016, 10:04 AM
Yeah I saw that one yesterday, OOOOOPS IT'S HOT!!!

Fish
06-07-2016, 10:13 AM

I thought that it was the danger due to the ground being so fragile and unstable around the springs. People think the ground is firm, but break through the crust into the hot water below like a layer of thin ice.

Dartgod
06-07-2016, 10:19 AM
Yeah I saw that one yesterday, OOOOOPS IT'S HOT!!!

So, in order to "accidentally" fall into the pool, one must climb a fence.

http://i.dailymail.co.uk/i/pix/2015/03/12/2693A3DC00000578-2991863-image-a-48_1426181441790.jpg

Bwana
06-07-2016, 10:29 AM
Never underestimate the power of stupid in the Park. My parents were in the Park over the weekend and they watched some lady at their hotel try to approach an elk that was walking by. I guess the elk got bent out of shape about it and chased her back up on the hotel deck. She left the deck and the elk turned around and came after her again. I guess in this case the tourist was Chinese. Only a small percentage of these incidents even make the paper. I would venture to say that within the next few weeks there will be another bison incident or two that does make the paper.

Lonewolf Ed
06-07-2016, 11:13 AM
Never underestimate the power of stupid in the Park. My parents were in the Park over the weekend and they watched some lady at their hotel try to approach an elk that was walking by. I guess the elk got bent out of shape about it and chased her back up on the hotel deck. She left the deck and the elk turned around and came after her again. I guess in this case the tourist was Chinese. Only a small percentage of these incidents even make the paper. I would venture to say that within the next few weeks there will be another bison incident or two that does make the paper.

It is a very simple concept. If an elk, for example, sees something approach it, the elk determines quickly if it is another elk or not. If it is not, the elk assumes that the creature that is approaching and is not also an elk must want to eat it. Bison and moose also do the same.

Bwana
06-07-2016, 11:16 AM
It is a very simple concept. If an elk, for example, sees something approach it, the elk determines quickly if it is another elk or not. If it is not, the elk assumes that the creature that is approaching and is not also an elk must want to eat it. Bison and moose also do the same.

They need to employ you at the ranger station so you can explain this simple concept to some of the brain dead tourist's. :D You could likely save a few of the dumber ones from the possibility of obtaining a Darwin Award.

Bwana
06-07-2016, 07:05 PM

Not to be outdone by burn guy, this guy went the extra mile today. The temperature of that spring is 203°F.

http://www.ktvq.com/story/32169065/yellowstone-national-park-visitor-presumed-dead-after-falling-into-hot-spring

Yellowstone National Park visitor presumed dead after falling into hot spring:

A Yellowstone National Park visitor is presumed dead after a witness reported the visitor fell in to the Norris Geyser Basin.

According to YNP Public Affairs Officer Charissa Reid, a search was underway for the man who disappeared Tuesday afternoon.

Reid said the man is presumed dead because he has yet to be found.
“The recovery process is very difficult because of the hazards of the environment,” said Reid.

Reid said the man is in his 20s, but she would not identify the man or where he is from. He reportedly walked about 225 yards off the board walk before falling into the hot spring.

The springs are known to reach temperatures that would be deadly to humans on contact.

"Norris Geyser Basin is the hottest and most changeable thermal area in Yellowstone," according to the YNP website.

Norris Geyser Basin was closed following the incident.

Reid said she wanted to remind people of the danger of the springs and directed all visitors to the safety page on the YNP website.

Earlier this week, a 13-year-old boy and his father suffered thermal burns near the Castle Geyser.

They were flown to Salt Lake City for treatment.

Dartgod
06-07-2016, 07:27 PM
Not to be outdone by burn guy, this guy went the extra mile today. The temperature of that spring is 203°F.

http://www.ktvq.com/story/32169065/yellowstone-national-park-visitor-presumed-dead-after-falling-into-hot-spring

:shake:

BucEyedPea
06-07-2016, 07:29 PM
I like seeing the pelicans knock tourists and their $6 bucket of fish. It's good for a laugh.
Too bad, it's been made into a 2nd degree misdemeanor.

unlurking
06-07-2016, 08:29 PM
:shake:
Better now than after he breeds.

rockymtnchief
06-07-2016, 08:30 PM

A Yellowstone National Park visitor is presumed dead after a witness reported the visitor fell in to the Norris Geyser Basin.

According to YNP Public Affairs Officer Charissa Reid, a search was underway for the man who disappeared Tuesday afternoon.

Reid said the man is presumed dead because he has yet to be found.
“The recovery process is very difficult because of the hazards of the environment,” said Reid.

Reid said the man is in his 20s, but she would not identify the man or where he is from. He reportedly walked about 225 yards off the board walk before falling into the hot spring.

The springs are known to reach temperatures that would be deadly to humans on contact.

"Norris Geyser Basin is the hottest and most changeable thermal area in Yellowstone," according to the YNP website.

Norris Geyser Basin was closed following the incident.

Reid said she wanted to remind people of the danger of the springs and directed all visitors to the safety page on the YNP website.

Earlier this week, a 13-year-old boy and his father suffered thermal burns near the Castle Geyser.

They were flown to Salt Lake City for treatment.

The guys name was Stewart. Now they just call him Stew.

Bwana
06-07-2016, 08:31 PM

ROFL Ouch

Rain Man
06-07-2016, 08:34 PM
And that, my friends, is why you don't step off the boardwalk. Now, if you'll excuse me I'm going to go throw up and then sit in a corner and hug myself as I try to forget about dying that way.

unlurking
06-07-2016, 08:35 PM
Thought this was pretty funny...

https://www.maxwaugh.com/2016/05/17/new-species-discovered-in-yellowstone-national-park/

New Species Discovered in Yellowstone National Park

https://www.maxwaugh.com/wp-content/uploads/2016/05/darwinawaardi-classification3.jpg

kcpasco
06-07-2016, 08:50 PM
And that, my friends, is why you don't step off the boardwalk. Now, if you'll excuse me I'm going to go throw up and then sit in a corner and hug myself as I try to forget about dying that way.

Boiled to death doesn't sound very pleasant. OUCH!!

Lonewolf Ed
06-09-2016, 05:01 AM

It depends if you go in head first or feet first.

Bwana
06-09-2016, 07:08 AM
http://www.krtv.com/story/32178350/raw-video-6-people-walking-across-hot-spring-in-yellowstone-national-park

Update on well done lobster boy and 6 more taking a stroll across the crust a day later. :shake: This is truly the summer idiots around here.

Lzen
06-09-2016, 07:44 AM

Oooohhhh.......burn!

Fish
06-09-2016, 08:45 AM
http://i67.tinypic.com/rwt6qr.jpg

DJ's left nut
06-09-2016, 01:59 PM

Yup - that one moves pretty rapidly to the top of my 'shitty ways to go' list.

Man, that's friggen horrifying.

rockymtnchief
06-09-2016, 02:02 PM

Park spokeswoman, Charissa Reid, said: “They were able to recover a few personal effects. There were no remains left to recover.

Dave Lane
06-09-2016, 08:28 PM
I thought that it was the danger due to the ground being so fragile and unstable around the springs. People think the ground is firm, but break through the crust into the hot water below like a layer of thin ice.

If the grass is growing I'll consider it. No grass? No way.

Dave Lane
06-09-2016, 08:32 PM

http://i.dailymail.co.uk/i/pix/2015/03/12/2693A3DC00000578-2991863-image-a-48_1426181441790.jpg

Not at Norris there are almost no guard rails at all. Some places have no boardwalks (generally where it is safe)

Dave Lane
06-09-2016, 08:36 PM
Most are like this. Easy to walk into.

http://www.aapodx2.com/2016/20160113.jpg

unlurking
06-10-2016, 08:32 AM
I'd love to visit one day. What's the best time of year to avoid stupid tourists? I'm assuming winter, but I'd like to avoid snow too.

Chiefnj2
06-10-2016, 08:40 AM
I'd love to visit one day. What's the best time of year to avoid stupid tourists? I'm assuming winter, but I'd like to avoid snow too.

You can avoid tourists if you walk 100 yards away from the main areas (and, no I don't mean walk off the boardwalks). It seems as if 95% of the people all crowd into the exact same places.

For instance, at Old Faithful there are benches set up near the Lodge where hundreds of people will sit and wait for the next eruption. You will be 20 people deep. If you simply walk on the boardwalk for 10 minutes you will be on the other side of the geyser and all by yourself.

unlurking
06-10-2016, 10:18 AM
You can avoid tourists if you walk 100 yards away from the main areas (and, no I don't mean walk off the boardwalks). It seems as if 95% of the people all crowd into the exact same places.

For instance, at Old Faithful there are benches set up near the Lodge where hundreds of people will sit and wait for the next eruption. You will be 20 people deep. If you simply walk on the boardwalk for 10 minutes you will be on the other side of the geyser and all by yourself.
Good to know, thanks!

Bwana
06-10-2016, 10:31 AM

I would have to go with September, after the kiddies are back in school.

unlurking
06-10-2016, 11:34 AM
I would have to go with September, after the kiddies are back in school.
Good call. May head up there this fall.

Chiefnj2
06-10-2016, 12:16 PM
If you want to avoid tourists you can stay in Cook City and/or the eastern entrance.

Bwana
06-10-2016, 12:32 PM
If you want to avoid tourists you can stay in Cook City and/or the eastern entrance.

Yep, which is why I always stay in Cooke, it's only 3 miles from the NE entrance to the park.

Bwana
06-14-2016, 06:16 AM
LMAO

Well, we damn near made it a week since the last stupid tourist trick.

They were lucky they got the door closed, or it wasn't a grizzly.

http://www.ktvq.com/story/32213290/friendly-bear-opens-familys-car-door-at-yellowstone-national-park

Dartgod
06-14-2016, 06:23 AM
LMAO

http://www.ktvq.com/story/32213290/friendly-bear-opens-familys-car-door-at-yellowstone-national-park

At least they didn't get out and try to pet it.

rockymtnchief
06-14-2016, 06:25 AM
LMAO

ROFL

They know how to get into things! Car doors, house doors, campers and tailgates. Lock yo shit up! Maybe even roll up your window so he doesn't reach in and steal your camera!

rockymtnchief
06-14-2016, 06:26 AM
At least they didn't get out and try to pet it.

ROFL I'm sure it crossed his mind, but the bear was blocking the door.

Baby Lee
06-14-2016, 06:32 AM
ROFL

They know how to get into things! Car doors, house doors, campers and tailgates. Lock yo shit up! Maybe even roll up your window so he doesn't reach in and steal your camera!

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/4ziIRCKa-r4" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

rockymtnchief
06-14-2016, 06:35 AM
<iframe width="560" height="315" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/4ziIRCKa-r4" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Don't be alarmed. That's actually Bwana stumbling home from the bar. It seems that someone has moved his house. :D

Baby Lee
06-14-2016, 06:36 AM
Don't be alarmed. That's actually Bwana stumbling home from the bar. It seems that someone has moved his house. :D

Sad thing is, for all the excitement and wonder, most bears who do that have injuries to their front paw[s].

Dartgod
06-14-2016, 06:50 AM

ROFL

Bwana
06-14-2016, 06:51 AM

I hate it when that happens! :(

I have always wanted to get a Bigfoot costume and mess with you bastards on one of our adventures. Jump out from behind a tree, let out a sasquatch howl and run toward you. The only reason I haven't pulled that one is because I know you guys are well armed and I would likely end up getting my ass shot!! :D

Baby Lee
06-14-2016, 06:53 AM

911, what's your emergency?
You gotta get out here, they stole my house!!
Someone robbed your house, sir?
Naw! They took the whole dad burned thing!!

stumppy
06-14-2016, 06:55 AM
Sad thing is, for all the excitement and wonder, most bears who do that have injuries to their front paw[s].

Thats what I was thinking. Looked like his front paws were just kind off hanging there.

rockymtnchief
06-14-2016, 06:57 AM

I have always wanted to get a Bigfoot costume and mess with you bastards on one of our adventures. Jump out from behind a tree, let out a sasquatch howl and run toward you. The only reason I haven't pulled that one is because I know you guys are well armed and I would likely end up getting my ass shot!! :D

ROFL

Kinda like the guy in western Montana??? You know...the one that the girl ran over with her car!:eek:

Bwana
06-14-2016, 06:59 AM
ROFL

Kinda like the guy in western Montana??? You know...the one that the girl ran over with her car!:eek:

LMAO For the people that are going WTF?

http://www.cbsnews.com/news/man-hit-by-car-twice-in-apparent-bigfoot-hoax/

Dartgod
06-14-2016, 07:00 AM
ROFL

I gotta hear this story.

Baby Lee
06-14-2016, 07:05 AM

ROFL - the two of you wandering around the mountains

<iframe width="420" height="315" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/tpDgdL_WMic" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Bwana
06-14-2016, 07:52 AM
ROFL - the two of your wandering around the mountains

I love that movie.

rockymtnchief
06-15-2016, 09:10 PM
Chinese man fined for collecting thermal water in Yellowstone

http://billingsgazette.com/lifestyles/recreation/chinese-man-fined-collected-thermal-water-in-yellowstone/article_42096cdb-93c7-5d8f-8a8d-3ff633f5d33b.html?utm_content=buffer18079&utm_medium=social&utm_source=facebook.com&utm_campaign=LEEDCC

BWillie
06-15-2016, 11:49 PM
You guys must all covet nature much more than me. Going to a national park sounds incredibly boring.

Bwana
06-16-2016, 07:18 AM
You guys must all covet nature much more than me. Going to a national park sounds incredibly boring.

You couldn't pay me enough to go through Yellowstone in the summer. I love going to the mountains to get away from people and relax on my ATV's with my fly rods. Going through Yellowstone at this point would not be a relaxing experience for me, dealing with morons stopped in the middle of the road for a gopher/bison jam would raise my blood pressure.

This is my Idea of a place to relax:

http://firebellysociety.org/templates/photos/559332-3957570652183-401226454-n.jpg (http://www.google.com/url?sa=i&rct=j&q=&esrc=s&source=images&cd=&cad=rja&uact=8&ved=0ahUKEwi92tOX0KzNAhUEHGMKHYxZCKcQjRwIBw&url=http%3A%2F%2Ffirebellysociety.org%2Fblog&bvm=bv.124272578,d.cGc&psig=AFQjCNE1wfFwNXP20qROYqwCKAQbwKxaSg&ust=1466169074212518)

Not this:

http://bp0.blogger.com/_RsCdaHlwY9g/RoWGsnw_DbI/AAAAAAAABdU/o1L_2wFLxPs/s1600/yell+bison+jam.jpg (http://www.google.com/url?sa=i&rct=j&q=&esrc=s&source=images&cd=&cad=rja&uact=8&ved=0ahUKEwifntv50KzNAhVE0mMKHYKlCU0QjRwIBw&url=http%3A%2F%2Fflyfishyellowstone.blogspot.com%2F2013%2F06%2Fcrowded.html&bvm=bv.124272578,d.cGc&psig=AFQjCNE_mSKgHg36I2QnoVoGel0g1Ockmg&ust=1466169359285239)

This:

Bwana
06-16-2016, 07:24 AM
Chinese man fined for collecting thermal water in Yellowstone

http://billingsgazette.com/lifestyles/recreation/chinese-man-fined-collected-thermal-water-in-yellowstone/article_42096cdb-93c7-5d8f-8a8d-3ff633f5d33b.html?utm_content=buffer18079&utm_medium=social&utm_source=facebook.com&utm_campaign=LEEDCC

Oh crap, now the Chinese are starting to show up. For some reason they are the ones that normally have issues understanding the rules in the park. There should be some interesting news articles in the near future.

displacedinMN
07-25-2016, 08:15 AM
Woman gets out of car at nature park-China

http://www.kare11.com/news/nation-now/tiger-kills-tourist-on-safari-tour-1/280481218

Bwana
07-25-2016, 08:24 AM
Woman gets out of car at nature park-China

http://www.kare11.com/news/nation-now/tiger-kills-tourist-on-safari-tour-1/280481218

Wow! That thing drug her off like she was a rag doll. Darwin Award consideration.

Frosty
07-25-2016, 08:57 AM
Wow! That thing drug her off like she was a rag doll. Darwin Award consideration.

BEIJING - Siberian tigers at a wildlife park in Beijing mauled a woman to death and wounded another when they stepped out of their car in an enclosure, a Chinese state-run newspaper said.

A tiger pounced on one of the women after she got out of a private car in which she was touring the Beijing Badaling Wildlife World on Saturday, the Legal Evening News reported.

Surveillance video shows a woman getting out of a white sedan after it stops in the tiger enclosure.

As she walks to the driver’s side door and opens it, a tiger suddenly attacks from her behind and drags her off.

The second woman was killed by another tiger that leapt at her after she stepped out of the vehicle to try to help her companion, the report said.

So, it sounds like the woman drug off by the tiger in the video was just injured, while the woman that got out to help was the one to get killed. Am I reading that right?

displacedinMN
07-25-2016, 10:25 AM
Correct frosty

displacedinMN
08-05-2016, 06:17 AM
Short version

A 5,000-year-old rock carving of a figure on skis is among the most recognized symbols of Norway. Two kids, however, thought it could use some improving. In what's been described as "a national tragedy," the Norwegian boys are accused of using a sharp tool to retrace the image on the island of Tro—among the earliest evidence of skiing—to make it more obvious, per the Local and New York Daily News.

The image of the skier—which inspired the logo for the 1994 Lilliehammer Olympics—wasn't even the only one damaged. An image of a whale that's part of the same scene also was hit.

http://a57.foxnews.com/images.foxnews.com/content/fox-news/science/2016/08/04/kids-have-good-intentions-ruin-ancient-rock-art/_jcr_content/par/featured_image/media-0.img.jpg/876/493/1470315692694.jpg?ve=1&tl=1

Bwana
08-27-2016, 07:19 AM
Yellowstone Park employee dies after fall from Grandview Point

A Yellowstone National Park employee died Friday morning after falling from a view point above the Grand Canyon of the Yellowstone River.

Estefania Liset Mosquera Alcivar, 21, fell from Grandview Point, according to a news release from Yellowstone National Park. Alcivar was a concession stand worker and was standing with co-workers when she fell over the edge of the rim trail at about 3 a.m.

Park rangers and paramedics responded and had to wait to locate Alcivar's body until daylight. They determined the fall was not survivable and recovered Alcivar's body just after 10 a.m.

Alcivar was born in Quito, Ecuador, and was in the U.S. on a work visa.

The incident is under investigation by the National Park Service, and visitors are urged to use caution when walking on rim trails.

The woman's death is part of a summer of unfortunate incidents at Yellowstone.

An Oregon man died at the park in June when he walked off the boardwalk at Norris Geyser Basin, slipped and fell into a hot spring.

Earlier that month a 13-year-old boy was burned when his father, who had been carrying him, slipped into a different spring.

In May, a Canadian film crew was accused of leaving an established boardwalk and stepping into a fragile geothermal area where they snapped photos and took video of themselves.

Also that month, another Canadian man loaded a bison calf into his SUV because he thought it was cold. The calf later had to be euthanized because it could not be reunited with its herd.

http://billingsgazette.com/news/local/yellowstone-park-employee-dies-after-fall-from-grandview-point/article_94afa2fe-4c07-51fe-9085-12cc681ca76c.html

Halfcan
08-27-2016, 08:33 AM

Maybe when you get older you will appreciate a nice picnic in the mountains with a beautiful girl, skiing in fresh snow through white dusted forest, seeing all the different species of birds, plants and animals as you tackle a tough hiking trail-then reward yourself by dipping your tired feet into the glacier waters of a rambling stream.

displacedinMN
08-28-2016, 04:53 PM
Article in paper today

http://www.startribune.com/visitor-misbehavior-abounds-as-us-parks-agency-turns-100/391535321/

displacedinMN
09-05-2016, 03:49 PM
Duckbill rock formation in Oregon destroyed by idiots

http://assets.nydailynews.com/polopoly_fs/1.2779067.1473107176!/img/httpImage/image.jpg_gen/derivatives/article_1200/rock6-3-web.jpg
The ones above are not the perps

https://kobi5.com/news/destruction-of-oregon-coast-landmark-under-investigation-35215/

Bwana
09-05-2016, 04:30 PM

http://assets.nydailynews.com/polopoly_fs/1.2779067.1473107176!/img/httpImage/image.jpg_gen/derivatives/article_1200/rock6-3-web.jpg

https://kobi5.com/news/destruction-of-oregon-coast-landmark-under-investigation-35215/

Wow :shake: Those are normally the kind of dimwits that show up around here at Yellowstone.

Bwana
11-15-2016, 03:31 PM
The extended soak....details on Mr. well done and his last adventure

Man died seeking place to soak in Yellowstone park

An Oregon man who died after falling into a scalding Yellowstone National Park hot spring was looking for a place to "hot pot," the forbidden practice of soaking in one of the park's thermal features, officials said.

Sable Scott told investigators that she and her 23-year-old brother, Colin, left a boardwalk near Pork Chop Geyser on June 7 and walked several hundred feet up a hill in search of "a place that they could potentially get into and soak," Deputy Chief Ranger Lorant Veress told KULR-TV in an interview.

As Sable Scott took video of her brother with her cellphone, he reached down to check the water temperature and slipped and fell into the hot pool, according to the incident report obtained by KULR through a Freedom of Information Act request.

Park officials did not release the video or a description of it.

Search and rescue rangers spotted Colin Scott's body in the pool the day of the accident, but a lightning storm prevented recovery.

The next day, workers could not find any remains in the churning, acidic water, Veress said.

"In very short order, there was a significant amount of dissolving," Veress said.

The National Park Service did not issue any citations in Colin Scott's death.

Scott was on a college graduation trip with his sister at the time of his death, which came a day after six people were cited for walking off-trail at the park's Grand Prismatic Spring.

A week later, a tourist from China was fined $1,000 for breaking through the fragile crust in the Mammoth Hot Springs area, apparently to collect water for medicinal purposes.

http://billingsgazette.com/news/state-and-regional/montana/man-died-seeking-place-to-soak-in-yellowstone-park/article_312fc6d9-7740-5323-8a0d-9920469046fb.html

Dartgod
11-15-2016, 03:37 PM
I'm MELTING.....

stumppy
11-15-2016, 03:38 PM
The extended soak....details on Mr. well done and his last adventure

Man died seeking place to soak in Yellowstone park

An Oregon man who died after falling into a scalding Yellowstone National Park hot spring was looking for a place to "hot pot," the forbidden practice of soaking in one of the park's thermal features, officials said.

Sable Scott told investigators that she and her 23-year-old brother, Colin, left a boardwalk near Pork Chop Geyser on June 7 and walked several hundred feet up a hill in search of "a place that they could potentially get into and soak," Deputy Chief Ranger Lorant Veress told KULR-TV in an interview.

As Sable Scott took video of her brother with her cellphone, he reached down to check the water temperature and slipped and fell into the hot pool, according to the incident report obtained by KULR through a Freedom of Information Act request.

Park officials did not release the video or a description of it.

Search and rescue rangers spotted Colin Scott's body in the pool the day of the accident, but a lightning storm prevented recovery.

The next day, workers could not find any remains in the churning, acidic water, Veress said.

"In very short order, there was a significant amount of dissolving," Veress said.

The National Park Service did not issue any citations in Colin Scott's death.

Scott was on a college graduation trip with his sister at the time of his death, which came a day after six people were cited for walking off-trail at the park's Grand Prismatic Spring.

A week later, a tourist from China was fined $1,000 for breaking through the fragile crust in the Mammoth Hot Springs area, apparently to collect water for medicinal purposes.

http://billingsgazette.com/news/state-and-regional/montana/man-died-seeking-place-to-soak-in-yellowstone-park/article_312fc6d9-7740-5323-8a0d-9920469046fb.html

Guess they didn't get all steamed up over it. Probably best to just let this incident fade away to nothing.

Rain Man
11-15-2016, 09:47 PM
That had to hurt.

Pasta Little Brioni
11-16-2016, 02:01 AM
His favorite King story was Thinner

Bwana
05-21-2017, 02:16 PM
Yeeeeeeeeeeeeah apparently the Chinese tourists are getting warmed up in B.C. Canada before they show up in Montana this year.

<iframe src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/rYoSPjlQvtg?controls=0" allowfullscreen="" height="315" frameborder="0" width="560"></iframe> (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pMDtibc13fc)

Bearcat
05-21-2017, 02:48 PM
Yeeeeeeeeeeeeah apparently the Chinese tourists are getting warmed up in B.C. Canada before they show up in Montana this year.

:eek:

I'm sure there's a fence going up as we post.

eDave
05-21-2017, 03:04 PM

This is infuriating. :mad:

frozenchief
05-21-2017, 04:23 PM

<iframe src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/rYoSPjlQvtg?controls=0" allowfullscreen="" height="315" frameborder="0" width="560"></iframe> (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pMDtibc13fc)

The sea lion got tired of poutine and wanted some dim sum.

notorious
05-21-2017, 04:28 PM
That is downright scary.

That water is murky as hell, they are lucky that she was on the surface for a split second or they would have never found her.

Bwana
05-21-2017, 04:55 PM
That is downright scary.

That water is murky as hell, they are lucky that she was on the surface for a split second or they would have never found her.

Yeah that seal was giving off some warning signals that it was getting pissed off before it came after her. It came up for what looked like a bluff bite and then sat there in the in the water giving here the stare down. People were laughing after it came out of the water the first time and were to stupid to realize the thing was getting pissed off. She's lucky it let go when it did.

Much like Yellowstone, people forget they are dealing with wild animals, not stuffed toys, or the family pet.

The Franchise
05-21-2017, 05:08 PM

Fucking idiots

KChiefs1
05-21-2017, 05:11 PM
Too bad that wasn't a 20 year old with crotchless panties on.

https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20170521/107ed6664501c0b7e2b0f337c56dbc31.pnghttps://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20170521/2b97dbf0001e9c3c2c7c6894536da2fa.pnghttps://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20170521/74c217ecff1d84a7648a5c15cf91771b.png

I took down the pedophile photos.

Dartgod
05-21-2017, 05:16 PM
That's a little disturbing dude.

KChiefs1
05-21-2017, 05:26 PM
That's a little disturbing dude.

Which part?

Pablo
05-21-2017, 05:35 PM
Prolly the part where you put up crotch shots of a nine year old.

Demonpenz
05-22-2017, 01:51 AM
dd

RobBlake
05-22-2017, 02:26 AM
Lmfao

DJ's left nut
07-06-2018, 03:37 PM

And now two of them are dead....

https://deadspin.com/three-adventure-vloggers-die-after-attempted-waterfall-1827394396

Bwana
07-06-2018, 03:49 PM

https://deadspin.com/three-adventure-vloggers-die-after-attempted-waterfall-1827394396

Yeah I was reading about that, karma is a real bitch. Do stupid things, win stupid prizes, like a dirt nap.

Baby Lee
07-06-2018, 07:09 PM

<iframe src="https://giphy.com/embed/fOnMB07EqYbm0" width="480" height="282" frameBorder="0" class="giphy-embed" allowFullScreen></iframe><p><a href="https://giphy.com/gifs/chasing-fOnMB07EqYbm0">via GIPHY</a></p>

BigRedChief
07-06-2018, 07:22 PM
Yeah I was reading about that, karma is a real bitch. Do stupid things, win stupid prizes, like a dirt nap.dumb asses down here are always fucking with gators and paying the price. :shake:

patteeu
07-07-2018, 06:38 AM
dumb asses down here are always fucking with gators and paying the price. :shake:

Keeping a safe distance from alligators is the main reason I haven’t come down to visit you and BEP. Between gators, sharks, hurricanes, and migrants from the NE, Florida seems uninhabitable. :)

Bwana
08-23-2018, 03:02 PM
Yeeeeeeeeah, this guy sounds like a real piece of work. I was rooting for the bison to finish him, but 120 days in jail will work.

http://ktvq.com/news/montana-news/2018/08/23/man-seen-taunting-bison-in-viral-video-in-yellowstone-park-sentenced-to-130-days-in-jail/

Bwana
09-22-2018, 08:09 AM
Not so much a tourist, (Other than FL guy not being able to figure out how to fire a gun) just bad decisions that got this guy killed. Hanging out in grizzy country, unarmed, over large chunks of fresh meat, is always a bad idea.

https://billingsgazette.com/news/state-and-regional/wyoming/wyoming-officials-offer-details-of-grizzly-attack-that-killed-hunting/article_7d745c15-40d0-5cbc-92f3-e1f7b3c2e976.html#tracking-source=home-the-latest

Wyoming officials offer details of grizzly attack that killed hunting guide

JACKSON, Wyo. — The grizzly bear that caused tragedy high in the Teton Wilderness never let up from a full-bore charge before hitting the Jackson Hole outfitter she fatally mauled.

When the approximately 250-pound sow bruin first came into view, pounding downhill out of a clearing, Mark Uptain was removing the head of a four-by-four bull elk for his client, Corey Chubon.

It was Friday afternoon, and the elk’s four quarters had been removed without any sign of bears. Chubon had killed the elk with an arrow the day before, but the hunters didn’t find the carcass until Friday. Even so, the hunters saw no sign grizzlies had touched it.

The sow grizzly, in other words, was not coming back to claim her meal. Her 1 1/2-year-old male cub was nearby, but ultimately he was watching from the outskirts and wasn’t being threatened. Nevertheless, she was not bluffing.

It just came on a full run,” said Brad Hovinga, who supervises the Wyoming Game and Fish Department’s Jackson Region. “There was no hesitation.”

Even for grizzlies, which are inherently protective and aggressive animals, this is unusual behavior.

A female with a yearling attacking in this manner, I’ve never dealt with that,” said Dan Thompson, Game and Fish’s large carnivore chief.

The now-dead grizzly, around 10 years old, was in good shape, with plenty of fat and nothing outwardly wrong.

Chubon, who did not respond to repeated requests for interviews, provided the above account to Wyoming Game and Fish investigators. The Florida man, who was on a guided Martin Outfitters bow hunt with his father, relayed his recollection to Game and Fish at length on several occasions.

As the bear first hit Uptain, who carried bear spray in a hip-slung holster, Chubon went for a Glock that his guide had left with their gear a few yards uphill. For some reason, he could not get the handgun to fire. When the female grizzly diverted her attention away from Uptain and toward the Floridian, he tossed the pistol to his guide. Evidently, it didn’t make it to Uptain, who was a lifelong elk hunter, small-business owner and family man.

Within moments, the bear turned back toward Uptain. Chubon, whose leg, chest and arms were lacerated by the bruin, ran for his life. His last view of Uptain, which he relayed to investigators, was of the guide on his feet trying to fight off the sow.

In an interview with the Orlando, Florida TV station WKMG, he described Uptain as his hero.

“I’m just extremely blessed and fortunate to have made it out of this situation alive,” Chubon told WKMG.

Bolting from the chaos, Chubon huffed it uphill to the duo’s horses, mounted one and rode uphill to a ridgeline near the crest of 10,258-foot-high Terrace Mountain in the Bridger-Teton National Forest. Amazingly, he caught a signal to phone authorities, who flew in to rescue him. Teton County Undersheriff Matt Carr, who was among the first responders, said the call out was a feat in itself.

“I’m not quite sure how he did that, because there’s no cell service out there at all,” Carr said. “That’s something we could not duplicate when we were there on the scene.”

Using the description from Chubon, searchers in a helicopter were able to locate the elk carcass that caused conflict around 7 p.m. Friday. There was less than an hour of daylight left, and the call was made to suspend the search until sunup Saturday.

“We ran out of flight time,” Carr said. “Helicopter restrictions don’t allow us to fly past a hard-and-fast time. And by that point, we couldn’t get ground teams in. The risk to the rescuers was far too great at that moment.”

It will never be known exactly what unfolded between the grizzlies and Uptain after Chubon left the scene.

When Carr and Game and Fish wardens Jon Stephens and Kyle Lash arrived at the quartered elk early Saturday morning to continue the search, they initially assumed that a drag mark heading downhill was from Uptain. Later, investigators discovered this was the slick left from the elk’s gut pile.

“It was confusing, because there was blood and struggle and debris from the elk dying,” Hovinga said. “There was a blood trail from the wounded elk coming in. On the scene, it was difficult to determine whose blood was whose.”

The gut pile drag mark heading downhill drew searchers attention away from where Uptain had died 50 yards uphill from the elk carcass, in a grove of timber. The nature of the 37-year-old’s fatal injuries and lack of a drag trail uphill suggest that he was able to walk after the initial attack, about 50 yards, but ultimately was killed by the grizzlies near where he was found.

“From the nature of his injuries, his death was pretty instantaneous,” Teton County Coroner Brent Blue said. “His fatal injuries were fatal instantly. He wasn’t going to be walking after the fatal injury.”

Bites to Uptain’s head likely ended his life, Blue said. Although there was massive trauma, his body was intact and showed no signs of having been fed upon.

At some point during the struggle, Uptain was able to douse the adult sow with bear spray, which has a high probability of thwarting an attack.

“When we were looking at the [adult female bear’s] head,” Hovinga said, “we could smell it, and we could feel it.”

Hovinga was quick to point out that bear spray was not put to use at the time of the initial attack — perhaps because there wasn’t time.

We feel that he deployed that bear spray sometime after the initial attack, but before he succumbed to his injuries,” he said. “A lot of people have said, ‘Well, he sprayed the bear, and it didn’t do any good.’ We can’t say that. We can’t say that bear spray wasn’t completely effective.”

The discharged canister was near where he died, not at the elk carcass downhill. The thrown firearm was found uphill of the bull elk’s scattered remains, but downhill and distanced from Uptain’s body.

After locating Uptain around 1:15 p.m. Saturday, Teton County Search and Rescue, Game and Fish and citizen search teams that grew to about 30 people flew out and rode out on horseback.

Game and Fish large carnivore biologists set out three leghold snares concealed in cubbies in an attempt to livetrap one or both of the grizzlies in the overnight hours. Aboard an airship that clattered overhead Sunday morning, they could not see if it worked. But after unloading from the chopper late Sunday morning, Thompson, Lash, Stephens and Game and Fish colleagues Brian Baker and Mike Boyce could make out bawls that told them they had captured the cub.

“Based on the vocalizations and the different tones, we knew we had a younger bear,” Thompson said.

The worst-case scenario was trapping the cub, with mom running free. That’s what happened. The quintet of biologists and wardens, four of whom were armed, chose a path in the relative open in the effort to gain a vantage point of the trap. The sow heard them coming.

“She appeared on a full charge,” Thompson said. “When she visualized five of us standing there, she paused for a second. We had guns up. There was a question, ‘Do we take her?’ I said take her.”

A barrage of gunfire ended the life of the grizzly that killed Mark Uptain. Her stomach was “full of elk meat,” one indication that told the Game and Fish folks that they had killed the right bear. Paws with pads and claws that matched tracks left at the scene the day before further corroborated the connection, and DNA evidence has been sent to a Laramie lab to cement that the right bears were killed.

The cub, about a 150-pound animal, was sedated before Thompson made the call to kill the sow’s dependent as well. His primary reasoning was that Uptain’s injuries suggested the cub was not a passive bystander.

“That yearling was involved in the attack,” Thompson said, “and was a contributing factor to his fatality.”

Asked if there were lessons to be learned from the fatal attack, Thompson said there was no “overt” wrongdoing or decisions made that belie best practices for hunting in grizzly country. Game and Fish’s large carnivore chief also stood behind his decision-making.

“I’m 100 percent confident that we removed the target individuals, and I’m also 100 percent confident that was the right thing to do,” Thompson said. “She was teaching an offspring that killing humans is a potential way to get food. We’ve had 10 other human injuries [from grizzlies] in the past couple years, and we haven’t attempted captures in those situations because of our investigations and the behavior of the bear.

“This was completely different, dangerous behavior,” he said. “It’s not something we want out there on the landscape.”

Fish
10-12-2018, 09:03 PM
<iframe width="560" height="315" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/EZc4hq7h4PU" frameborder="0" allow="autoplay; encrypted-media" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Fish
07-24-2019, 01:32 PM
<iframe width="853" height="480" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/c5h7JJFc5Dc" frameborder="0" allow="accelerometer; autoplay; encrypted-media; gyroscope; picture-in-picture" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Pitt Gorilla
07-24-2019, 01:35 PM
<iframe width="853" height="480" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/c5h7JJFc5Dc" frameborder="0" allow="accelerometer; autoplay; encrypted-media; gyroscope; picture-in-picture" allowfullscreen></iframe>getthefuckout.gif

Pitt Gorilla
07-24-2019, 01:41 PM
Not so much a tourist, (Other than FL guy not being able to figure out how to fire a gun) just bad decisions that got this guy killed. Hanging out in grizzy country, unarmed, over large chunks of fresh meat, is always a bad idea.

https://billingsgazette.com/news/state-and-regional/wyoming/wyoming-officials-offer-details-of-grizzly-attack-that-killed-hunting/article_7d745c15-40d0-5cbc-92f3-e1f7b3c2e976.html#tracking-source=home-the-latest

Wyoming officials offer details of grizzly attack that killed hunting guide

JACKSON, Wyo. — The grizzly bear that caused tragedy high in the Teton Wilderness never let up from a full-bore charge before hitting the Jackson Hole outfitter she fatally mauled.

When the approximately 250-pound sow bruin first came into view, pounding downhill out of a clearing, Mark Uptain was removing the head of a four-by-four bull elk for his client, Corey Chubon.

It was Friday afternoon, and the elk’s four quarters had been removed without any sign of bears. Chubon had killed the elk with an arrow the day before, but the hunters didn’t find the carcass until Friday. Even so, the hunters saw no sign grizzlies had touched it.

The sow grizzly, in other words, was not coming back to claim her meal. Her 1 1/2-year-old male cub was nearby, but ultimately he was watching from the outskirts and wasn’t being threatened. Nevertheless, she was not bluffing.

It just came on a full run,” said Brad Hovinga, who supervises the Wyoming Game and Fish Department’s Jackson Region. “There was no hesitation.”

Even for grizzlies, which are inherently protective and aggressive animals, this is unusual behavior.

A female with a yearling attacking in this manner, I’ve never dealt with that,” said Dan Thompson, Game and Fish’s large carnivore chief.

The now-dead grizzly, around 10 years old, was in good shape, with plenty of fat and nothing outwardly wrong.

Chubon, who did not respond to repeated requests for interviews, provided the above account to Wyoming Game and Fish investigators. The Florida man, who was on a guided Martin Outfitters bow hunt with his father, relayed his recollection to Game and Fish at length on several occasions.

As the bear first hit Uptain, who carried bear spray in a hip-slung holster, Chubon went for a Glock that his guide had left with their gear a few yards uphill. For some reason, he could not get the handgun to fire. When the female grizzly diverted her attention away from Uptain and toward the Floridian, he tossed the pistol to his guide. Evidently, it didn’t make it to Uptain, who was a lifelong elk hunter, small-business owner and family man.

Within moments, the bear turned back toward Uptain. Chubon, whose leg, chest and arms were lacerated by the bruin, ran for his life. His last view of Uptain, which he relayed to investigators, was of the guide on his feet trying to fight off the sow.

In an interview with the Orlando, Florida TV station WKMG, he described Uptain as his hero.

“I’m just extremely blessed and fortunate to have made it out of this situation alive,” Chubon told WKMG.

Bolting from the chaos, Chubon huffed it uphill to the duo’s horses, mounted one and rode uphill to a ridgeline near the crest of 10,258-foot-high Terrace Mountain in the Bridger-Teton National Forest. Amazingly, he caught a signal to phone authorities, who flew in to rescue him. Teton County Undersheriff Matt Carr, who was among the first responders, said the call out was a feat in itself.

“I’m not quite sure how he did that, because there’s no cell service out there at all,” Carr said. “That’s something we could not duplicate when we were there on the scene.”

Using the description from Chubon, searchers in a helicopter were able to locate the elk carcass that caused conflict around 7 p.m. Friday. There was less than an hour of daylight left, and the call was made to suspend the search until sunup Saturday.

“We ran out of flight time,” Carr said. “Helicopter restrictions don’t allow us to fly past a hard-and-fast time. And by that point, we couldn’t get ground teams in. The risk to the rescuers was far too great at that moment.”

It will never be known exactly what unfolded between the grizzlies and Uptain after Chubon left the scene.

When Carr and Game and Fish wardens Jon Stephens and Kyle Lash arrived at the quartered elk early Saturday morning to continue the search, they initially assumed that a drag mark heading downhill was from Uptain. Later, investigators discovered this was the slick left from the elk’s gut pile.

“It was confusing, because there was blood and struggle and debris from the elk dying,” Hovinga said. “There was a blood trail from the wounded elk coming in. On the scene, it was difficult to determine whose blood was whose.”

The gut pile drag mark heading downhill drew searchers attention away from where Uptain had died 50 yards uphill from the elk carcass, in a grove of timber. The nature of the 37-year-old’s fatal injuries and lack of a drag trail uphill suggest that he was able to walk after the initial attack, about 50 yards, but ultimately was killed by the grizzlies near where he was found.

“From the nature of his injuries, his death was pretty instantaneous,” Teton County Coroner Brent Blue said. “His fatal injuries were fatal instantly. He wasn’t going to be walking after the fatal injury.”

Bites to Uptain’s head likely ended his life, Blue said. Although there was massive trauma, his body was intact and showed no signs of having been fed upon.

At some point during the struggle, Uptain was able to douse the adult sow with bear spray, which has a high probability of thwarting an attack.

“When we were looking at the [adult female bear’s] head,” Hovinga said, “we could smell it, and we could feel it.”

Hovinga was quick to point out that bear spray was not put to use at the time of the initial attack — perhaps because there wasn’t time.

We feel that he deployed that bear spray sometime after the initial attack, but before he succumbed to his injuries,” he said. “A lot of people have said, ‘Well, he sprayed the bear, and it didn’t do any good.’ We can’t say that. We can’t say that bear spray wasn’t completely effective.”

The discharged canister was near where he died, not at the elk carcass downhill. The thrown firearm was found uphill of the bull elk’s scattered remains, but downhill and distanced from Uptain’s body.

After locating Uptain around 1:15 p.m. Saturday, Teton County Search and Rescue, Game and Fish and citizen search teams that grew to about 30 people flew out and rode out on horseback.

Game and Fish large carnivore biologists set out three leghold snares concealed in cubbies in an attempt to livetrap one or both of the grizzlies in the overnight hours. Aboard an airship that clattered overhead Sunday morning, they could not see if it worked. But after unloading from the chopper late Sunday morning, Thompson, Lash, Stephens and Game and Fish colleagues Brian Baker and Mike Boyce could make out bawls that told them they had captured the cub.

“Based on the vocalizations and the different tones, we knew we had a younger bear,” Thompson said.

The worst-case scenario was trapping the cub, with mom running free. That’s what happened. The quintet of biologists and wardens, four of whom were armed, chose a path in the relative open in the effort to gain a vantage point of the trap. The sow heard them coming.

“She appeared on a full charge,” Thompson said. “When she visualized five of us standing there, she paused for a second. We had guns up. There was a question, ‘Do we take her?’ I said take her.”

A barrage of gunfire ended the life of the grizzly that killed Mark Uptain. Her stomach was “full of elk meat,” one indication that told the Game and Fish folks that they had killed the right bear. Paws with pads and claws that matched tracks left at the scene the day before further corroborated the connection, and DNA evidence has been sent to a Laramie lab to cement that the right bears were killed.

The cub, about a 150-pound animal, was sedated before Thompson made the call to kill the sow’s dependent as well. His primary reasoning was that Uptain’s injuries suggested the cub was not a passive bystander.

“That yearling was involved in the attack,” Thompson said, “and was a contributing factor to his fatality.”

Asked if there were lessons to be learned from the fatal attack, Thompson said there was no “overt” wrongdoing or decisions made that belie best practices for hunting in grizzly country. Game and Fish’s large carnivore chief also stood behind his decision-making.

“I’m 100 percent confident that we removed the target individuals, and I’m also 100 percent confident that was the right thing to do,” Thompson said. “She was teaching an offspring that killing humans is a potential way to get food. We’ve had 10 other human injuries [from grizzlies] in the past couple years, and we haven’t attempted captures in those situations because of our investigations and the behavior of the bear.

“This was completely different, dangerous behavior,” he said. “It’s not something we want out there on the landscape.”Killed the bear for being a bear. I mean, I guess I get it, but it sucks.

DJ's left nut
07-24-2019, 01:49 PM
Killed the bear for being a bear. I mean, I guess I get it, but it sucks.

A bear charging and mauling a person to death who she then didn't actually eat and who was presenting no threat to her or her cub isn't a bear being a bear.

It's a bear being an asshole.

You can't leave that one in the wild.

Hydrae
07-24-2019, 01:51 PM
<iframe width="853" height="480" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/c5h7JJFc5Dc" frameborder="0" allow="accelerometer; autoplay; encrypted-media; gyroscope; picture-in-picture" allowfullscreen></iframe>

In all honesty it looks like those people were on a path and not trying to bother the buffalo. :shrug:

But damn, she got some serious air!

suzzer99
07-24-2019, 02:06 PM
Living proof of that joke that you don't have to outrun the bear (or bison), just the slowest person in your group.

scho63
07-24-2019, 02:26 PM
Those two dudes were PUSSIES and let this girl get tossed like a rag doll.

Such courage and protection of a young girl. They must be Dem voters

Pitt Gorilla
07-24-2019, 02:28 PM

Such courage and protection of a young girl. They must be Dem votersJesus. Some of you idiots have a need to make everything political. WTF is wrong with you?

suzzer99
07-24-2019, 02:35 PM

Remind me what your dear leader did during the Vietnam War again? There must be endless heroic battle stories to tell.

Skyy God
07-24-2019, 02:43 PM

Some random FL assshole parents let their kid walk dangerously close to a bison, and you’re saying you’d stand your ground and protect her?

Easy to say, keyboard crusader.

SAUTO
07-24-2019, 02:45 PM

I know, if only they had better protection.

Like a net or something...

Chief Northman
07-24-2019, 02:48 PM
I’ve seen more dangerous dismounts at most rodeos. Kid landed on her feet. Probably scared shitless, but what do you do.

DJ's left nut
07-24-2019, 02:58 PM
Some random FL assshole parents let their kid walk dangerously close to a bison, and you’re saying you’d stand your ground and protect her?

You wouldn't?

Look, bottom line is that you'd get fucked up. No, you probably wouldn't change the outcome a ton. But if you were walking within 10 yards of a buffalo and saw it charging, you really don't think your first reaction would be to at least grab your child and try to get out of the way?

Those two just peaced out and left their elementary aged child fend for herself. That's shitty and I don't see any argument to the contrary.

DJ's left nut
07-24-2019, 03:00 PM
I’ve seen more dangerous dismounts at most rodeos. Kid landed on her feet. Probably scared shitless, but what do you do.

She was treated at the base of the mountain and went home. Didn't even go to the hospital.

But I at least hope her parents see that video and realize what fuckstains they are for leaving her there. They got lucky that outcome wasn't far, far worse.

LoneWolf
07-24-2019, 03:01 PM
Remind me what your dear leader did during the Vietnam War again? There must be endless heroic battle stories to tell.

Kindly fuck the fuck off and keep this shit in DC. Thanks.

LoneWolf
07-24-2019, 03:02 PM

Keep your political bullshit in DC.

Buehler445
07-24-2019, 03:02 PM
You wouldn't?

Look, bottom line is that you'd get fucked up. No, you probably wouldn't change the outcome a ton. But if you were walking within 10 yards of a buffalo and saw it charging, you really don't think your first reaction would be to at least grab your child and try to get out of the way?

Those two just peaced out and left their elementary aged child fend for herself. That's shitty and I don't see any argument to the contrary.

If it was my daughter, absolutely. If it was someone else's kid, I'd like to think so, but I've never truly been in that situation. I've tried to keep other peoples kids from eating shit, but not at risk to my own safety.

My guess it will be a reaction thing, not a calculated decision.

Pitt Gorilla
07-24-2019, 03:20 PM
Keep your political bullshit in DC.Agreed, but he was responding to political bullshit; i.e. I think that was the point.

Rain Man
07-24-2019, 03:35 PM
I was in Yellowstone last month and saw a mother grizzly bear with two young cubs as we drove down a road. I would've stayed in the car, but there were fifty tourists out taking pictures of them from a distance of less than 100 feet. I got out at 200 feet and figured I'd be safe since the grizzly had 50 mauling candidates in place before it would even consider me.

KCUnited
07-24-2019, 03:37 PM
It's quite possible Brooke mistook the kid for a macaroni and simply charged.

DJ's left nut
07-24-2019, 03:48 PM
If it was my daughter, absolutely. If it was someone else's kid, I'd like to think so, but I've never truly been in that situation. I've tried to keep other peoples kids from eating shit, but not at risk to my own safety.

My guess it will be a reaction thing, not a calculated decision.

Initial reports were that this was their kid.

And you're absolutely right - gut reaction. I'm just surprised that this particular set of parents doesn't seem to have said instinct.

scho63
07-24-2019, 03:49 PM

I know, if only they had better protection.

Like a net or something...

2 Betas for sure.

I wouldn't run like a little puss and leave a female family member and never one of 7-12 defend herself.

scho63
07-24-2019, 03:50 PM
Kindly fuck the fuck off and keep this shit in DC. Thanks.

Keep your political bullshit in DC.

Fuck you and fuck you again...........

Skyy God
07-24-2019, 03:51 PM
You wouldn't?

Look, bottom line is that you'd get ****ed up. No, you probably wouldn't change the outcome a ton. But if you were walking within 10 yards of a buffalo and saw it charging, you really don't think your first reaction would be to at least grab your child and try to get out of the way?

I’m not sure if the two in the video are the parents. If they are, then, sure, **** them.

If not, I hope I’d help, but there’s a substantial non-zero possibility the flight instinct kicks in.

Pitt Gorilla
07-24-2019, 04:10 PM
**** you and **** you again...........

Why did you decide to make it political? Are you able to articulate that reasoning?

suzzer99
07-24-2019, 04:20 PM
We need a scho-whisperer.

Dartgod
05-21-2020, 07:07 AM
Yellowstone was reopened only two days before this happened...

Woman injured by bison in Yellowstone National Park

YELLOWSTONE NATIONAL PARK — A woman was injured by a bison in Yellowstone National Park Wednesday afternoon.

The animal knocked the visitor to the ground after she approached too closely in the Old Faithful Upper Geyser Basin area of the park, according to a news release.

Emergency medical providers responded to the incident immediately and the woman was assessed but she refused to be transported to the hospital.

This is the first incident of a bison injuring a visitor in 2020.

Park officials encourage all visitors to stay 25 yards away from all large animals and at least 100 yards away from bears and wolves.

https://www.eastidahonews.com/2020/05/woman-injured-by-bison-in-yellowstone-national-park/

Bwana
05-21-2020, 07:35 AM
Yellowstone was reopened only two days before this happened...

It starts...

This from a few days ago:

Woman falls into thermal feature after illegally entering Yellowstone National Park, park officials say

A woman suffered burns after falling into a thermal feature at Yellowstone National Park on Tuesday, according to the park officials.

Yellowstone has been closed to visitors since March 24 due to the coronavirus pandemic (https://www.cnn.com/travel/article/yellowstone-grand-teton-national-parks-to-close-coronavirus/index.html). The woman “illegally entered the park,” the National Park Service (NPS) said in a statement.

She told park rangers she was backing up to take pictures when she fell into a thermal feature at the Old Faithful Geyser, one of the most famous geyser’s in the world.

After falling, the woman, who was not identified by park officials, was able to get in her vehicle and drive through the park when she was contacted by rangers. Due to her injuries, she was life-flighted to the Burn Center at Eastern Idaho Regional Medical Center, park officials said.

https://www.mercurynews.com/2020/05/14/woman-falls-into-thermal-feature-after-illegally-entering-yellowstone-national-park-park-officials-say/

displacedinMN
05-21-2020, 03:09 PM
social distancing with other humans...dont have to with buffalo

KS Smitty
06-30-2020, 01:12 PM
Woman gored after approaching bison in Yellowstone National Park; Always stay more than 25 yards away from bison.

https://www.nps.gov/yell/learn/news/062920.htm

Bwana
06-30-2020, 01:28 PM
Woman gored after approaching bison in Yellowstone National Park; Always stay more than 25 yards away from bison.

https://www.nps.gov/yell/learn/news/062920.htm

Must get the best Selfie ever! <!--[if gte mso 9]><xml> <w:WordDocument> <w:View>Normal</w:View> <w:Zoom>0</w:Zoom> <w:TrackMoves/> <w:TrackFormatting/> <w:PunctuationKerning/> <w:ValidateAgainstSchemas/> <w:SaveIfXMLInvalid>false</w:SaveIfXMLInvalid> <w:IgnoreMixedContent>false</w:IgnoreMixedContent> <w:AlwaysShowPlaceholderText>false</w:AlwaysShowPlaceholderText> <w:DoNotPromoteQF/> <w:LidThemeOther>EN-US</w:LidThemeOther> <w:LidThemeAsian>X-NONE</w:LidThemeAsian> <w:LidThemeComplexScript>X-NONE</w:LidThemeComplexScript> <w:Compatibility> <w:BreakWrappedTables/> <w:SnapToGridInCell/> <w:WrapTextWithPunct/> <w:UseAsianBreakRules/> <w:DontGrowAutofit/> <w:SplitPgBreakAndParaMark/> <w:DontVertAlignCellWithSp/> <w:DontBreakConstrainedForcedTables/> <w:DontVertAlignInTxbx/> <w:Word11KerningPairs/> <w:CachedColBalance/> </w:Compatibility> <w:BrowserLevel>MicrosoftInternetExplorer4</w:BrowserLevel> <m:mathPr> <m:mathFont m:val="Cambria Math"/> <m:brkBin m:val="before"/> <m:brkBinSub m:val="--"/> <m:smallFrac m:val="off"/> <m:dispDef/> <m:lMargin m:val="0"/> <m:rMargin m:val="0"/> <m:defJc m:val="centerGroup"/> <m:wrapIndent m:val="1440"/> <m:intLim m:val="subSup"/> <m:naryLim m:val="undOvr"/> </m:mathPr></w:WordDocument> </xml><![endif]--><!--[if gte mso 9]><xml> <w:LatentStyles DefLockedState="false" DefUnhideWhenUsed="true" DefSemiHidden="true" DefQFormat="false" DefPriority="99" LatentStyleCount="267"> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="0" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" QFormat="true" Name="Normal"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="9" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" QFormat="true" Name="heading 1"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="9" QFormat="true" Name="heading 2"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="9" QFormat="true" Name="heading 3"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="9" QFormat="true" Name="heading 4"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="9" QFormat="true" Name="heading 5"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="9" QFormat="true" Name="heading 6"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="9" QFormat="true" Name="heading 7"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="9" QFormat="true" Name="heading 8"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="9" QFormat="true" Name="heading 9"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="39" Name="toc 1"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="39" Name="toc 2"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="39" Name="toc 3"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="39" Name="toc 4"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="39" Name="toc 5"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="39" Name="toc 6"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="39" Name="toc 7"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="39" Name="toc 8"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="39" Name="toc 9"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="35" QFormat="true" Name="caption"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="10" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" QFormat="true" Name="Title"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="1" Name="Default Paragraph Font"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="11" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" QFormat="true" Name="Subtitle"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="22" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" QFormat="true" Name="Strong"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="20" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" QFormat="true" Name="Emphasis"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="59" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Table Grid"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Placeholder Text"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="1" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" QFormat="true" Name="No Spacing"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="60" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Light Shading"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="61" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Light List"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="62" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Light Grid"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="63" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Medium Shading 1"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="64" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Medium Shading 2"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="65" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Medium List 1"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="66" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Medium List 2"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="67" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Medium Grid 1"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="68" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Medium Grid 2"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="69" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Medium Grid 3"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="70" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Dark List"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="71" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Colorful Shading"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="72" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Colorful List"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="73" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Colorful Grid"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="60" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Light Shading Accent 1"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="61" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Light List Accent 1"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="62" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Light Grid Accent 1"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="63" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Medium Shading 1 Accent 1"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="64" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Medium Shading 2 Accent 1"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="65" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Medium List 1 Accent 1"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Revision"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="34" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" QFormat="true" Name="List Paragraph"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="29" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" QFormat="true" Name="Quote"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="30" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" QFormat="true" Name="Intense Quote"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="66" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Medium List 2 Accent 1"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="67" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Medium Grid 1 Accent 1"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="68" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Medium Grid 2 Accent 1"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="69" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Medium Grid 3 Accent 1"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="70" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Dark List Accent 1"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="71" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Colorful Shading Accent 1"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="72" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Colorful List Accent 1"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="73" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Colorful Grid Accent 1"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="60" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Light Shading Accent 2"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="61" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Light List Accent 2"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="62" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Light Grid Accent 2"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="63" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Medium Shading 1 Accent 2"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="64" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Medium Shading 2 Accent 2"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="65" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Medium List 1 Accent 2"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="66" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Medium List 2 Accent 2"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="67" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Medium Grid 1 Accent 2"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="68" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Medium Grid 2 Accent 2"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="69" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Medium Grid 3 Accent 2"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="70" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Dark List Accent 2"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="71" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Colorful Shading Accent 2"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="72" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Colorful List Accent 2"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="73" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Colorful Grid Accent 2"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="60" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Light Shading Accent 3"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="61" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Light List Accent 3"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="62" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Light Grid Accent 3"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="63" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Medium Shading 1 Accent 3"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="64" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Medium Shading 2 Accent 3"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="65" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Medium List 1 Accent 3"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="66" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Medium List 2 Accent 3"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="67" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Medium Grid 1 Accent 3"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="68" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Medium Grid 2 Accent 3"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="69" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Medium Grid 3 Accent 3"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="70" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Dark List Accent 3"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="71" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Colorful Shading Accent 3"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="72" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Colorful List Accent 3"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="73" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Colorful Grid Accent 3"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="60" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Light Shading Accent 4"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="61" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Light List Accent 4"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="62" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Light Grid Accent 4"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="63" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Medium Shading 1 Accent 4"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="64" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Medium Shading 2 Accent 4"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="65" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Medium List 1 Accent 4"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="66" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Medium List 2 Accent 4"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="67" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Medium Grid 1 Accent 4"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="68" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Medium Grid 2 Accent 4"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="69" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Medium Grid 3 Accent 4"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="70" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Dark List Accent 4"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="71" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Colorful Shading Accent 4"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="72" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Colorful List Accent 4"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="73" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Colorful Grid Accent 4"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="60" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Light Shading Accent 5"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="61" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Light List Accent 5"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="62" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Light Grid Accent 5"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="63" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Medium Shading 1 Accent 5"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="64" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Medium Shading 2 Accent 5"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="65" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Medium List 1 Accent 5"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="66" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Medium List 2 Accent 5"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="67" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Medium Grid 1 Accent 5"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="68" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Medium Grid 2 Accent 5"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="69" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Medium Grid 3 Accent 5"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="70" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Dark List Accent 5"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="71" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Colorful Shading Accent 5"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="72" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Colorful List Accent 5"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="73" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Colorful Grid Accent 5"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="60" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Light Shading Accent 6"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="61" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Light List Accent 6"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="62" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Light Grid Accent 6"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="63" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Medium Shading 1 Accent 6"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="64" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Medium Shading 2 Accent 6"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="65" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Medium List 1 Accent 6"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="66" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Medium List 2 Accent 6"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="67" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Medium Grid 1 Accent 6"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="68" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Medium Grid 2 Accent 6"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="69" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Medium Grid 3 Accent 6"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="70" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Dark List Accent 6"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="71" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Colorful Shading Accent 6"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="72" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Colorful List Accent 6"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="73" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Colorful Grid Accent 6"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="19" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" QFormat="true" Name="Subtle Emphasis"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="21" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" QFormat="true" Name="Intense Emphasis"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="31" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" QFormat="true" Name="Subtle Reference"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="32" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" QFormat="true" Name="Intense Reference"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="33" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" QFormat="true" Name="Book Title"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="37" Name="Bibliography"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="39" QFormat="true" Name="TOC Heading"/> </w:LatentStyles> </xml><![endif]--><!--[if gte mso 10]> <style> /* Style Definitions */ table.MsoNormalTable {mso-style-name:"Table Normal"; mso-tstyle-rowband-size:0; mso-tstyle-colband-size:0; mso-style-noshow:yes; mso-style-priority:99; mso-style-qformat:yes; mso-style-parent:""; mso-padding-alt:0in 5.4pt 0in 5.4pt; mso-para-margin:0in; mso-para-margin-bottom:.0001pt; mso-pagination:widow-orphan; font-size:11.0pt; font-family:"Calibri","sans-serif"; mso-ascii-font-family:Calibri; mso-ascii-theme-font:minor-latin; mso-fareast-font-family:"Times New Roman"; mso-fareast-theme-font:minor-fareast; mso-hansi-font-family:Calibri; mso-hansi-theme-font:minor-latin;} </style> <![endif]--><!--[if gte mso 9]><xml> <o:shapedefaults v:ext="edit" spidmax="1026"/> </xml><![endif]--><!--[if gte mso 9]><xml> <o:shapelayout v:ext="edit"> <o:idmap v:ext="edit" data="1"/> </o:shapelayout></xml><![endif]--> Hug all trees and animals, "they like me!"

With the travel ban on China, the incidents have really slowed down so far this year. The Chinese seem to be the most clueless about hairy forest creatures that can kill you and are always good for several incidents a year. Glad to see Californians are trying to pick up the slack. How does one live to the age of 72, being that stupid? LMAO

Dartgod
06-30-2020, 01:36 PM
She obviously didn't see this PSA video. ROFL

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/zRk_M3PTkXo" frameborder="0" allow="accelerometer; autoplay; encrypted-media; gyroscope; picture-in-picture" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Bwana
06-30-2020, 01:42 PM

<iframe src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/zRk_M3PTkXo" allow="accelerometer; autoplay; encrypted-media; gyroscope; picture-in-picture" allowfullscreen="" width="560" height="315" frameborder="0"></iframe>

ROFL

tyecopeland
06-30-2020, 01:49 PM
You wouldn't?

If I was that close to the kid as it appears in that video I'd definitely be grabbing the kid regardless if the kid was mine or not. It would be instinctual and I've been a teacher for years but I gotta think most people would too.

KS Smitty
08-13-2020, 05:55 PM
Another tourist v bison, this time at Custer State Park. Complete with (really crappy) video.

https://cowboystatedaily.com/2020/08/13/woman-violently-attacked-by-bison-pants-ripped-off-during-encounter/?fbclid=IwAR1DQxCzljwsn_XlkaX84i9s44ST_8c9KYKzRwz__8g2Wv-_dBFYXnfhf4Q

Rain Man
08-13-2020, 06:01 PM
Another tourist v bison, this time at Custer State Park. Complete with (really crappy) video.

https://cowboystatedaily.com/2020/08/13/woman-violently-attacked-by-bison-pants-ripped-off-during-encounter/?fbclid=IwAR1DQxCzljwsn_XlkaX84i9s44ST_8c9KYKzRwz__8g2Wv-_dBFYXnfhf4Q

That buffalo is going to be demolished on social media for pulling that woman's pants off.

Pitt Gorilla
08-13-2020, 08:42 PM

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/zRk_M3PTkXo" frameborder="0" allow="accelerometer; autoplay; encrypted-media; gyroscope; picture-in-picture" allowfullscreen></iframe>
Almost looks real.

Pitt Gorilla
08-13-2020, 08:44 PM

Love the "heroes" in that vid. LMAO

Bwana
08-13-2020, 09:12 PM

Wow, it truly amazes me how stupid people can be around Bison. They can wreck your world, quickly.

Hydrae
08-14-2020, 08:30 AM
Really, going to pet the baby buffalo with the mother nearby? Stupid actions results in bad results!

UPDATE: Mechaley reports this morning that the victim, a 54 year old Iowa woman, somehow escaped serious injury in the incident. He says, according to eyewitnesses, the woman had gotten off the motorcycle on which she was a passenger and was attempting to approach a buffalo calf when another adult bison charged her catching her belt and jeans on its horn and swung her around violently. She was apparently saved when her pants came off and she fell to the ground unconscious. He says at that point the attacking animal ran off along with the rest of the herd.

Rain Man
08-14-2020, 10:07 AM
UPDATE: Mechaley reports this morning that the victim, a 54 year old Iowa woman, somehow escaped serious injury in the incident. He says, according to eyewitnesses, the woman had gotten off the motorcycle on which she was a passenger and was attempting to approach a buffalo calf when another adult bison charged her catching her belt and jeans on its horn and swung her around violently. She was apparently saved when her pants came off and she fell to the ground unconscious. He says at that point the attacking animal ran off along with the rest of the herd.

Police are on the lookout for the attacker, who is described as 5'-6" tall, stocky, lots of facial hair, and very horny.

RedRaider56
08-14-2020, 10:25 AM
love the comment at the end by the woman.."Fu**ing stupid people"

She's got that right!

Dartgod
08-14-2020, 12:23 PM
Police are on the lookout for the attacker, who is described as 5'-6" tall, stocky, lots of facial hair, wearing a pair of blue jeans and very horny.

FYP

Rain Man
08-14-2020, 12:44 PM
FYP

I bet they end up arresting Zach Galifianakis. This is why sketch artists are important.

Rain Man
08-15-2020, 03:31 PM
If that buffalo ran off with her pants, I wonder if it also got her keys and wallet and ID. She may get home and it'll be sitting on her couch waiting to finish the job.

Bwana
11-11-2020, 08:42 AM
Not a good idea: cooking chicken in thermal features at Yellowstone National Park

Lets fire up the yard bird in the thermal pot!

Three men have been punished after they allegedly put whole chickens into a thermal feature in Yellowstone National Park.

It happened on Aug. 7, 2020.

Eric K. Romriell of Idaho was found guilty of violating 36 CFR 7.13(j) Foot travel in thermal area, and 36 CFR 1.5(f) Food in thermal area. He was ordered to pay $1,250 in fines and fees, banned from entering Yellowstone National Park for two years, and placed on unsupervised probation for two years.

Eric D. Roberts and Dallas C. Roberts of Utah were found guilty of violating 36 CFR 7.13(j) Foot travel in thermal area. Both were ordered to serve two days in jail and pay $540 in fines and fees. They were also banned from entering Yellowstone for two years, and placed on unsupervised probation for two years.

https://www.ktvq.com/news/montana-and-regional-news/not-a-good-idea-cooking-chicken-in-thermal-features-at-yellowstone-national-park

Kman34
11-11-2020, 08:47 AM
Not a good idea: cooking chicken in thermal features at Yellowstone National Park

Lets fire up the yard bird in the thermal pot!

Three men have been punished after they allegedly put whole chickens into a thermal feature in Yellowstone National Park.

It happened on Aug. 7, 2020.

Eric K. Romriell of Idaho was found guilty of violating 36 CFR 7.13(j) Foot travel in thermal area, and 36 CFR 1.5(f) Food in thermal area. He was ordered to pay $1,250 in fines and fees, banned from entering Yellowstone National Park for two years, and placed on unsupervised probation for two years.

Eric D. Roberts and Dallas C. Roberts of Utah were found guilty of violating 36 CFR 7.13(j) Foot travel in thermal area. Both were ordered to serve two days in jail and pay $540 in fines and fees. They were also banned from entering Yellowstone for two years, and placed on unsupervised probation for two years.

https://www.ktvq.com/news/montana-and-regional-news/not-a-good-idea-cooking-chicken-in-thermal-features-at-yellowstone-national-park

I hear thermal cooked chicken is delicious... Expensive, and will cost you your freedom, but delicious...

Bwana
11-11-2020, 09:05 AM
I hear thermal cooked chicken is delicious... Expensive, and will cost you your freedom, but delicious...

I'm sure sulfur boiled into the meat is delicious! :hmmm:

Kman34
11-11-2020, 11:06 AM

ROFL

Dartgod
11-11-2020, 01:31 PM

I usually marinate my chicken in rotten eggs overnight before grilling.

crispystl
11-11-2020, 06:03 PM

That was my first thought as well.

Bwana
07-08-2021, 08:17 AM
Yes by all means, if you're in Grizzy country, keep food in your tent! :shake:

Woman Is Killed in Montana Bear Attack

The grizzly bear entered Ovando Monday morning and went to an area near the post office at about 3 a.m. where the victim was sleeping in a tent, according to a news release.

Another couple in her party were sleeping in a tent nearby.

The bear initially woke the campers but then ran away.

The three campers removed food from their tents, secured it, and went back to bed.

The bear was captured by a video camera at a business less than a block away at about 3:15 a.m.

FWP notes at about 3:30 a.m. the two people in the tent next to the victim were awakened by sounds of the attack.

They left the tent and sprayed the bear with bear spray. It has not been seen since.

The bear pulled the victim from the tent during the fatal attack.

Wildlife officials say at some point during the night the bear also got into a chicken coop in town, killing and eating several chickens.

https://www.ktvq.com/details-emerging-in-fatal-ovando-grizzly-bear-attack

BigRedChief
07-08-2021, 08:30 AM
Yes by all means, if you're in Grizzy country, keep food in your tent! :shake:

Woman Is Killed in Montana Bear Attack
Tourist seek out gators down here to taunt them, get pictiures. Of course it ends badly. People don't realize how fast a gator can move in short distances on land.

Another non-tourist thing is that high school kids get live chickens and throw them at gators to watch the action. Sometimes the chicken runs back their way and the gator chomps on the first meat in its way.