PDA

View Full Version : Life Flying to Kona, Hawaii Friday

seaofred
05-30-2016, 07:44 PM
My wife, daughter, and myself are flying to Kona Friday. What is the one thing we have to do while on the big island? This is our second trip there, last time I went deep sea fishing and caught a Marlin.

Why Not?
05-30-2016, 07:47 PM
Relax. Drink tons of coffee. Eat tons of fish and fruit. Fin

Rain Man
05-30-2016, 07:53 PM
Run an ironman?

TLO
05-30-2016, 08:01 PM
Buy a can of axe body spray and douse a smelly Hawaiian with it

yeti
05-30-2016, 08:01 PM
Check out Volcano National Park, snorkel at Captain Cook Monument, Kua Beach, go fishing again, shell out the big bucks and go on a helicopter tour. It's hard to go wrong.

LoneWolf
05-30-2016, 10:01 PM
Leave the big island and go to Kauai or Maui. Less people and more beautiful.

Buehler445
05-30-2016, 10:18 PM
Enjoy it. Love Hawaii.

DaneMcCloud
05-30-2016, 10:41 PM

I hate to a bummer but I completely agree.

Oahu is a waste of time as well, IMO, unless you want to visit the memorial.

After that, it's like any other overpopulated, busy beach city.

Why Not?
05-30-2016, 11:23 PM

Hey, fuck you Dane!

No, your totally right. I'll always love Oahu because it's where I grew up, but I tell people exactly what you posted. Stop in, visit Pearl Harbor, and then go to another island. If you must stay on Oahu, get to the north shore and as far away from Waikiki as you can.

DaneMcCloud
05-30-2016, 11:55 PM
Hey, fuck you Dane!

No, your totally right. I'll always love Oahu because it's where I grew up, but I tell people exactly what you posted. Stop in, visit Pearl Harbor, and then go to another island. If you must stay on Oahu, get to the north shore and as far away from Waikiki as you can.

LMAO

LoneWolf
05-31-2016, 12:11 AM

Yep, the wife and I spent two days on Oahu the first time we went to Hawaii and that was one day too many. Visit the memorial and then get the hell out of there.

My retirement dream is to buy a condo on Kaanapali beach in Maui and live on the island for six months each year. I love Hawaii.

seaofred
05-31-2016, 09:24 AM
Thanks for the recommendations. I've actually already been to the memorial, so we won't be going back to Oauhu. Unfortunately, we are going partially for work, so I won't be able to hit some of the other islands. As of right now the plans are to visit the Volcano and play a round of golf at Hapuna. I will look into snorkeling at Captian Cook Monument. Thanks!

Rain Man
05-31-2016, 09:51 AM

I spent a whole day touring the battleship Missouri and visiting the Museum of Pacific Aviation or whatever it's called, and I didn't spend nearly enough time at the submarine museum nearby. I could easily spend two days at Pearl Harbor.

After that I'd probably lose interest pretty quickly, but Pearl Harbor is a smorgasboard if you're a WWII history buff.

Why Not?
05-31-2016, 09:59 AM
My retirement dream is to buy a condo on Kaanapali beach in Maui and live on the island for six months each year. I love Hawaii.

Got married on that beach. That's my single most favorite spot in the world.

keg in kc
05-31-2016, 10:45 AM
Sister lives in Kona.

Hate her.

I'd probably hit Kona Brewing Co. Favorite pizza on the island though it's been a few years since I've been there. And beer of course.

LoneWolf
05-31-2016, 11:15 AM
Got married on that beach. That's my single most favorite spot in the world.

Next summer is our 20 year anniversary. We are going to renew our vows on Kaanapali beach. I've seen a lot of sunsets in my life, but never one more beautiful than the ones from that beach.

58-4ever
05-31-2016, 11:21 AM

Doesn't the Big Island have the least people and most square miles?

Why Not?
05-31-2016, 11:56 AM
Next summer is our 20 year anniversary. We are going to renew our vows on Kaanapali beach. I've seen a lot of sunsets in my life, but never one more beautiful than the ones from that beach.

That's awesome! Totally agree on the sunsets. Nothing like it

fan4ever
05-31-2016, 12:03 PM
Snorkeling for sure...the volcano thing didn't exactly flip my switch and was a long drive. My wife and son did the zip line in Kona...thought it was pretty cool...you glide over a lot of beautiful scenery...filmed it as well.

Clyde Frog
05-31-2016, 03:44 PM
If you can get your hands on any Maui Brewing stuff try it. Esp the limited releases like Hopkine IPA or Doppleshot Dopplebock. For regular releases the Coconut Porter and The Bikini Blonde are the best followed by the Big Swell IPA. I'd give the Mana Wheat a pass unless you like Blue Moon style beers. I personally think if you need solid food in beer to make it taste better, its shit.

Ming the Merciless
05-31-2016, 05:39 PM

I completely disagree..

I wouldnt spend time on Oahu (i do agree with that part)

But The big island is awesome.....

Ive been to every Island, some multiple times...The Big island has a GREAT combination of things to do, nightlife and tranquil paradise.

The ultimate paradise island is probably Kauai - but I could see someone not liking kauai because of lack of nightlife or things to do...and its tiny and not much to it.

Maui is awesome too..for the same reasons..

All in all the Big island is a great combination of everything......If you didnt like the Big Island I think you did something wrong, personally.

Mennonite
05-31-2016, 05:42 PM
Snorkeling for sure

http://116.imagebam.com/download/kV7vdDPRc6qfJ9XrhnE1iA/48705/487046469/snork2.gif

Yep.

After that, solve some crimes, and fly around the island in a helicopter with your buddies from 'Nam.

DaneMcCloud
05-31-2016, 05:45 PM
If you didnt like the Big Island I think you did something wrong, personally.

We went in 2001 for our honeymoon. Stayed at the Hilton Waikoloa, which was fun and had great restaurants on the property. We rented a car and drove around the island to check out a few spots but overall, it was just "meh". We went to Oahu on that trip for 3 days and it was awful. Like worse than Santa Monica.

We went to Maui in 2003 and it was awesome. Loved the weather, the restaurants and the general vibe. We stayed at Black Rock so there were a number of shops and bars within walking distance and we stayed at the Grand Wailea as well.

We may have done something wrong on Kona but I don't think I'd go back.

Ming the Merciless
05-31-2016, 05:56 PM
We went in 2001 for our honeymoon. Stayed at the Hilton Waikoloa, which was fun and had great restaurants on the property. We rented a car and drove around the island to check out a few spots but overall, it was just "meh". We went to Oahu on that trip for 3 days and it was awful. Like worse than Santa Monica.

We went to Maui in 2003 and it was awesome. Loved the weather, the restaurants and the general vibe. We stayed at Black Rock so there were a number of shops and bars within walking distance and we stayed at the Grand Wailea as well.

We may have done something wrong on Kona but I don't think I'd go back.

I prefer Kauai. Maui and the Big Island are a pretty close second...I really think it all depends on what youre after. Kauai is TINY. But to me its the most physically beautiful and I love the vibe there and I long to go back....

The Big Island has a lot more fun activities and I think would be enjoyed by kids more (OP has a kid) ....When I went we did paragliding and there were like dolphin swims and flume riding and all kinds of stuff...you could even go snowboarding at the top of the mountain....many more bars and restaurants to choose from...

ALso there is a LOT more diverse terrain on the big island...Ative volcano, lush jungle, beach etc....

Different strokes....I just want to BBQ , chill, and enjoy nature...so the smaller Island is great for me.

But Kona has more things to do...but doesnt sacrifice THAT much like oahu with hordes of people and crowds etc...

Like I said, I think its a great compromise island.....and theres a lot of local flavor too. Or if you want the resort experience you can get that......

I would love to go back to the big Island ...BUT if I were to go TOMORROW..........I cannot honestly sit here and say I would choose it 1st. I would pick Kauai 1st , hands down.....followed probably by either Maui or Big ISland...

Did I mention I love Kauai?

SAUTO
05-31-2016, 05:57 PM
Use chop sticks or the big bad Hawaiian might beat you up or some shit...

scho63
05-31-2016, 06:30 PM
Check out Volcano National Park, snorkel at Captain Cook Monument, Kua Beach, go fishing again, shell out the big bucks and go on a helicopter tour. It's hard to go wrong.

Who the hell are you and where did you get the balls to give advice on CP? ROFLROFLROFL

seaofred
06-06-2016, 05:40 PM
So far we've snorkled at Captian Cook, gone to the Volcano, lots of beach time and I'm sitting in Kona Brew Co. as we speak. Absolutely awesome place (Hawaii)!

Rain Man
06-06-2016, 05:52 PM
So far we've snorkled at Captian Cook, gone to the Volcano, lots of beach time and I'm sitting in Kona Brew Co. as we speak. Absolutely awesome place (Hawaii)!

Tell the bartender that Hawaii is great and you wish it was part of the U.S.