PDA

View Full Version : Home and Auto Auto Question Rear View Mirror Assembly

petegz28
06-02-2016, 07:52 PM
So I bought Mrs. Pete a new (used) vehicle this weekend 2013 Ford Explorer, and it was unfortunately caught in the hail storm last week so Carmax said they would fix it for free. Okay, great. Well I go to pick it up today and the rear view mirror is very loose and bouncy. So I took the plastic plates off that cover all the wiring and lane keeping camera, etc and it looks like the glue is giving. The mirror and plastic covers don't seem to be flush against the glass thus the shaky mirror. I didn't want to take it totally apart for fear of the mirror coming completely off. It looks like they had to take it apart to get the headliner off to fix the dings on the roof and that they just pushed the mirror back into the glue that was there and didn't apply fresh.

So, is this just a matter of them re-applying fresh glue?

Saulbadguy
06-02-2016, 07:55 PM
Trade it in ASAP

lewdog
06-02-2016, 07:56 PM
I hope that car is on a lease.

SAUTO
06-02-2016, 08:01 PM
They bought shitty glue

petegz28
06-02-2016, 08:07 PM
They bought shitty glue

I'm not sure they even re-applied glue. That or it didn't set right or something. I assume it's just a matter of taking the mirror off and scraping the old glue off and re-applying the new. All of which they will do for free or pay for me to take it to the dealer I am sure.

TribalElder
06-02-2016, 08:37 PM
Sprinkle some antifreeze on it

GloryDayz
06-02-2016, 08:41 PM
Take it to JASONSAUTO and ask him to please fix other people's mistakes...

cosmo20002
06-02-2016, 08:51 PM
I'm not sure they even re-applied glue. That or it didn't set right or something. I assume it's just a matter of taking the mirror off and scraping the old glue off and re-applying the new. All of which they will do for free or pay for me to take it to the dealer I am sure.

So, why are you asking us?
Minor problem that they will take care of--what's the issue here?

petegz28
06-02-2016, 08:56 PM
So, why are you asking us?
Minor problem that they will take care of--what's the issue here?

I am asking to understand what is actually involved so I know if they do what they are supposed to do....

GloryDayz
06-02-2016, 09:04 PM
I am asking to understand what is actually involved so I know if they do what they are supposed to do....

You should prolly PM JASONSAUTO. He knows cars and is a good man...

DaveNull
06-02-2016, 09:33 PM
Hail stones can't melt automotive glue!

Simply Red
06-02-2016, 09:38 PM
if you re glue - you need to razor all and any residual glue from first go around, that's the key - I just did this two months ago on the 135.

Bugeater
06-02-2016, 09:41 PM
Ford Explorer? Sink it in a river and report it stolen.

GloryDayz
06-02-2016, 09:41 PM
if you re glue - you need to razor all and any residual glue from first go around, that's the key - I just did this two months ago on the 135.

I did the same a few years back... It was all left on the windshield so it was easy to get with a razor, but the glue at Advance Auto worked very well.

cosmo20002
06-02-2016, 11:33 PM

So...you're not familiar with how glue works?

BlackHelicopters
06-03-2016, 05:45 AM
Contact SAUTO for a fair and respectable repair. Don't mention that your health provider just prescribed you pain killers.

HemiEd
06-03-2016, 06:05 AM
Permatex makes a little kit for it with the instructions. Even a caveman could do it.

That being said, the mirrors aren't as simple as they used to be. One of our customers took them to a whole different level.
http://www.gentex.com/automotive/mirror-module

DC.chief
06-03-2016, 06:16 AM
Clean up the glass and the metal piece the mirror slides on. Glue the metal piece to the glass and make sure it's facing the right direction. Then let it sit over night and mount the mirror in the AM

petegz28
06-03-2016, 07:45 AM
So instead of gluing the mirror back on they used 2 sided tape. Now the glass guy doesn't know if he will be able to bond to the glass so thus might turn into a new windshield

WhawhaWhat
06-03-2016, 07:49 AM
Permatex makes a little kit for it with the instructions. Even a caveman could do it.

http://www.monologuedb.com/wp-content/uploads/2011/03/ben-weber-geico-caveman.jpg

Fish
06-03-2016, 08:17 AM
So instead of gluing the mirror back on they used 2 sided tape. Now the glass guy doesn't know if he will be able to bond to the glass so thus might turn into a new windshield

LMAO..... :facepalm:

I'd be pissed...

Dartgod
06-03-2016, 08:35 AM
https://usatjrsportbrief.files.wordpress.com/2015/09/usatsi_7666875.jpg

FYP...

TribalElder
06-03-2016, 09:32 AM
they used 2 sided tape.

Ford :D

mikeyis4dcats.
06-03-2016, 09:39 AM
if your vehicle got hail damage before you took delivery I hope you negotiated a lower price, as it affected the value of the vehicle, fixed or not IMHO.

petegz28
06-03-2016, 11:05 AM
if your vehicle got hail damage before you took delivery I hope you negotiated a lower price, as it affected the value of the vehicle, fixed or not IMHO.

It only effects the value if it is reported to Carfax or whatever. I did all the checking on that.

mikeyis4dcats.
06-03-2016, 11:07 AM
It only effects the value if it is reported to Carfax or whatever. I did all the checking on that.

thats like saying that a car that had been in a major accident only has it's value affected if it was reported to carfax.

Either way, the car is no longer factory. It has (probably significant) body and paintwork done to it, which no matter what they tell you will never last as long as factory.

SAUTO
06-03-2016, 11:09 AM

I'd be pissed...

Wow. Me too, especially as the glue kit costs less than ten bucks...

SAUTO
06-03-2016, 11:10 AM

Bullshit.

Pull the tape off and use the cleaner in the glue pack and then follow the instructions.

SAUTO
06-03-2016, 11:11 AM

ROFL

HemiEd
06-03-2016, 11:11 AM
Ford :Dused car dealer, not even Ford would have done that.

petegz28
06-03-2016, 11:15 AM

I'd be pissed...

Yeah, I was like WTF? The Manager at Carmax was speechless. They contract out their dent work and he couldn't believe they did that. Oh well, it's all good.

Amnorix
06-03-2016, 11:16 AM
:doh!: It doesn't get much more hopeless than me when it comes to mechanical stuff, but this fucking GLUE we're talking about. Glue. You don't understand glue technology?

You might need a new windshield because someone used double sided tape? What?

I don't know Jasonsauto, but stop before you find a way to do damage and get the car to him so he can (1) laugh at you, and (2) save you from yourself.

:p

petegz28
06-03-2016, 11:16 AM
Bullshit.

Pull the tape off and use the cleaner in the glue pack and then follow the instructions.

That's what I thought. He was saying something about the glue he had and the size of the mirror base ...nevertheless he got it fixed and fixed right.

petegz28
06-03-2016, 11:17 AM
:doh!: It doesn't get much more hopeless than me when it comes to mechanical stuff, but this ****ing GLUE we're talking about. Glue. You don't understand glue technology?

I don't know Jasonsauto, but stop before you find a way to do damage and get the car to him so he can (1) laugh at you, and (2) save you from yourself.

go whack off to Brady's deflated balls and STFU

SAUTO
06-03-2016, 11:19 AM
:doh!: It doesn't get much more hopeless than me when it comes to mechanical stuff, but this fucking GLUE we're talking about. Glue. You don't understand glue technology?

ROFL

petegz28
06-03-2016, 11:21 AM
thats like saying that a car that had been in a major accident only has it's value affected if it was reported to carfax.

Either way, the car is no longer factory. It has (probably significant) body and paintwork done to it, which no matter what they tell you will never last as long as factory.

K...

Indian Chief
06-03-2016, 11:24 AM

Carfax is not the only game in town. There are other, more comprehensive services that may have it listed.

petegz28
06-03-2016, 11:26 AM

so you pay X for the car....

it hails the day before you buy the car, they keep the same price and fix it for free...

or

I pay less because of the hail damage and I have to get it fixed myself

net-net it's all about the same in the end....I mean if you want to look at it that way, they reduced the price of the car and I paid to have the hail damage fixed if that makes one feel better about the deal

petegz28
06-03-2016, 11:27 AM
Carfax is not the only game in town. There are other, more comprehensive services that may have it listed.

authocheck and carfax are the 2 I see used the most but I don't doubt there are more, for sure

Dartgod
06-03-2016, 01:00 PM

Most hail damage is repaired without body or paint work involved.

mikeyis4dcats.
06-03-2016, 02:24 PM
so you pay X for the car....

it hails the day before you buy the car, they keep the same price and fix it for free...

or

I pay less because of the hail damage and I have to get it fixed myself

net-net it's all about the same in the end....I mean if you want to look at it that way, they reduced the price of the car and I paid to have the hail damage fixed if that makes one feel better about the deal

no, I'd say, gee thats great you want $10,000 but I know you just fixed the hail damage, now I'll give you $9,500 because it's not factory paint. I'd make the same adjustment for any vehicle I knew had bodywork.

mikeyis4dcats.
06-03-2016, 02:25 PM

some is, depends on the severity. I had 2 vehicles with hail damage in 2012 and both required some body work. I have since sold both because someone else can enjoy the rust if a few years.

petegz28
06-03-2016, 02:26 PM
no, I'd say, gee thats great you want $10,000 but I know you just fixed the hail damage, now I'll give you $9,500 because it's not factory paint. I'd make the same adjustment for any vehicle I knew had bodywork.
But there was no paint involved...

SAUTO
06-03-2016, 02:31 PM
some is, depends on the severity. I had 2 vehicles with hail damage in 2012 and both required some body work. I have since sold both because someone else can enjoy the rust if a few years.
If it was quality work you wouldn't have to worry about rust

mikeyis4dcats.
06-03-2016, 02:56 PM
authocheck and carfax are the 2 I see used the most but I don't doubt there are more, for sure

all are worthless because none of the are mandatory. I saw a couple of vehicles that had obvious body work but neither were reported om Carfax. Neither of my vehicles that had hail damage and body work showed up. One of them that had some minor bumper damage repaired did show up.

petegz28
06-03-2016, 03:03 PM
The hood of my suv looks brand spanking new..no painting was involved or drilling..

ModSocks
06-03-2016, 03:05 PM

Wait? WHAAAT?

ModSocks
06-03-2016, 03:06 PM
That's what I thought. He was saying something about the glue he had and the size of the mirror base ...nevertheless he got it fixed and fixed right.

Ah, ok. Was about to say......scammers for sure.

petegz28
06-03-2016, 03:07 PM
Wait? WHAAAT?
The glass guy was worried that he wasn't going to be able to bond to the glass after they put all that tape on it. Didn't matter to me as it was costing me 0

ModSocks
06-03-2016, 03:09 PM
The glass guy was worried that he wasn't going to be able to bond to the glass after they put all that tape on it. Didn't matter to me as it was costing me 0

That's still the most ridiculous shit i've ever heard in my life. Dude sounds like a scam artist that thought he might be able to swindle you into a new windshield + install.

petegz28
06-03-2016, 03:10 PM
That's still the most ridiculous shit i've ever heard in my life. Dude sounds like a scam artist that thought he might be able to swindle you into a new windshield + install.
Wasn't swindling me. It was free if he said new glass...I was kinda hoping he would

TribalElder
06-03-2016, 03:26 PM
I had a hail damaged car and found out when the car gets totaled you can't get full coverage (at least I couldn't at the time). This increased the payoff schedule to the next week.

It only costs 0 if you don't count the time you spent dealing with the problem :)

cosmo20002
06-03-2016, 07:12 PM
Dear CP,

A funny thing happens when I turn on my windshield wipers. One of the wipers doesn't really get all the rain off very well. Any ideas?
Let me know what needs to be done so when I take it to my mechanic I know that he's doing it right. I'm thinking I may need a new engine block.

/petethread

GloryDayz
06-03-2016, 07:39 PM
Dear CP,

A funny thing happens when I turn on my windshield wipers. One of the wipers doesn't really get all the rain off very well. Any ideas?
Let me know what needs to be done so when I take it to my mechanic I know that he's doing it right. I'm thinking I may need a new engine block.

/petethread

You're still pissed that the state won't let you drive, amirite?

petegz28
06-03-2016, 08:16 PM
Dear CP,

/petethread

It must really suck to be you....no, really