PDA

View Full Version : Life How desirable is it to live in a very high floor of a building?

Rain Man
06-03-2016, 01:20 PM
I saw this article and it got me thinking: http://gizmodo.com/apparently-its-possible-to-live-in-an-apartment-with-to-1780381219?utm_campaign=socialflow_gizmodo_facebook&utm_source=gizmodo_facebook&utm_medium=socialflow

Obviously, one gets a better view if one is higher up in a building. But at some point does the allure die down? We know there's an upper limit because if your building is 2,700 stories tall you're probably in the Everest Death Zone and would have to leave your apartment every 15 minutes to get oxygen.

But is there a lower level that's problematic? I've read flippant notes that you can't get a pizza delivered hot above a certain level because of the elevator time, and that life above a certain level puts you at risk if you need a paramedic quickly. Obviously, there's also the concern about a fire, because ladders don't go very high.

And what about view? Is there a height at which the view becomes less interesting? And do you become afraid to walk out on your deck or go near a window?

How high is too high?

BlackHelicopters
06-03-2016, 01:22 PM
Is it 4:20 yet?

Rain Man
06-03-2016, 01:27 PM
I think my limit would probably be around the 15th floor. It's a good view, but you don't feel like you're on an airplane all the time. Conceivably I could keep 150 feet of rope in my closet if there's a fire, and in a power outage that's about the most I'd want to walk up and down stairs.

I think I would have zero interest in living on the 80th floor of a high rise. That would be kind of creepy.

DaneMcCloud
06-03-2016, 01:45 PM
I think my limit would probably be around the 15th floor. It's a good view, but you don't feel like you're on an airplane all the time. Conceivably I could keep 150 feet of rope in my closet if there's a fire, and in a power outage that's about the most I'd want to walk up and down stairs.

I think I would have zero interest in living on the 80th floor of a high rise. That would be kind of creepy.

I have a friend that lives on the 42nd floor penthouse in NYC. My favorite building, the Chrysler Building, is just a few blocks away and the views are incredible.

That said, it was scary partying on his deck. 42 stories is freakin' high and while I don't have a fear of heights, I get a little woozy being outside up that high.

I think the 20th floor would be my limit, which would provide a view of Hollywood, Downtown and the Pacific Ocean.

And there's no way I'd want a balcony.

DJ's left nut
06-03-2016, 01:54 PM
Must be the suburbanite in me.

No interest in living in an area that has buildings that tall. You're essentially stuck in a major city at that point and fuck urban sprawl right in its face.

If I'm stuck in the city somehow, I'm thinking it comes down to 'commute'. Any elevator ride that's more than about 5 minutes I'm just not doing. Even that may be more than I'd want to deal with. If all elevators are approximately the same ride length for some reason, I'm thinking 50th floor before you just feel detached from reality.

But in a Cessna at even roughly 1,000 feet, you still get some nice detail. So ultimately I think our friend in the article here is largely full of shit.

ChiefsCountry
06-03-2016, 02:31 PM
I would rather have my office view downtown and the home in the burbs.

ModSocks
06-03-2016, 02:31 PM
If I'm stuck in the city somehow, I'm thinking it comes down to 'commute'. Any elevator ride that's more than about 5 minutes I'm just not doing. Even that may be more than I'd want to deal with. If all elevators are approximately the same ride length for some reason, I'm thinking 50th floor before you just feel detached from reality.

It comes down to convenience for me. I've been in the process of downsizing all my furniture. No more TV stands or big entertainment centers. Sectional? Fuck that, all i need is a couch.

I've come to realize that i hate moving, and i hate it because, well...i have to move all this heavy shit. So, when it's time to buy a new piece of furniture (most recently replaced my couch) im going for small and light.

The same concept applies to where i live. I am not in the least bit interested in climbing stairs, waiting on elevators or anything else that's shitty. I don't wanna move my dresser through elevators and tight corridors, and i certainly don't wanna ride an elevator when im drunk. Fuck that.

Rain Man
06-03-2016, 02:33 PM
Must be the suburbanite in me.

No interest in living in an area that has buildings that tall. You're essentially stuck in a major city at that point and **** urban sprawl right in its face.

But...wait. Urban sprawl is the suburbs. High-rises solve urban sprawl because it keeps areas walkable due to high density.

Rain Man
06-03-2016, 02:35 PM
My wife lived on the 15th floor of a high-rise when we were dating. It was pretty cool in terms of the view, but the elevators were so slow that sometimes I would take the stairs and race her. And it seemed far less cool the one time that all the fire trucks were down below trying to put out a fire on around the 5th floor.

ModSocks
06-03-2016, 02:38 PM
To continue my mini rant, i want a new Mustang. I want to trade in my Suv thingy for a 2nd sports car. Impractical? Sure. I don't care.

She says we need the SuV because she has a big family (our immediate family is just me, her, and our son).

WHY THE FUCK DO I NEED TO MAKE MY PURCHASING DECISIONS BASED ON HER MOM OR SIBLINGS NEEDING A FUCKING RIDE???

No, i want smaller, compact and fun.

luv
06-03-2016, 02:40 PM
Apartment buildings around here go to 4th floor max (majority are three floors). Also, most don't have elevators. I lived on the third floor before, and I loved it. If there were no elevators, I probably wouldn't go any higher than that. Carrying in groceries would be a bitch. However, I voted for 6-10 assuming the building had elevators. I'd like the view, but I wouldn't want to be too far removed.

DaneMcCloud
06-03-2016, 02:42 PM
The same concept applies to where i live. I am not in the least bit interested in climbing stairs, waiting on elevators or anything else that's shitty.

It's 48 stairsteps from my driveway to my kitchen.

Unloading Costco and groceries sucks like you wouldn't believe.

ModSocks
06-03-2016, 02:43 PM
It's 30 stairs from my driveway to my kitchen.

Yup. Fuck that.

DaneMcCloud
06-03-2016, 02:45 PM
Yup. Fuck that.

Yeah and I miscalculated: It's actually 48 stair steps.

I didn't think twice about it in 2003 but in 2016, it fucking sucks.

I've had scores of people ask "Why didn't they build an elevator in your home?".

suzzer99
06-03-2016, 02:55 PM
Relevant: http://gizmodo.com/apparently-its-possible-to-live-in-an-apartment-with-to-1780381219

Estis shot its penthouse — which is, at 1,396 feet, currently the highest condominium in the world — a derisive glance. “At a certain point, you’re too high,” he said. “You don’t want to be higher than this,” he added, meaning his own apartment. “Up there you lose the effect. You have to walk to the window to look down.”

lewdog
06-03-2016, 02:55 PM

You don't have a garage? Or is it un-attached?

DaneMcCloud
06-03-2016, 02:59 PM
You don't have a garage? Or is it un-attached?

We have a garage that's below the first floor but it's not attached to the house. It has a car entrance and side entrance, which leads to the first set of exterior stairs.

ModSocks
06-03-2016, 03:00 PM
We have a garage that's below the first floor but it's not attached to the house. It has a car entrance and side entrance, which leads to the first set of exterior stairs.

Hey btw, remember that PM i sent you about that car?

I never got back to you on it because it's going to Barrett Jackson....this month.

lewdog
06-03-2016, 03:01 PM

Any chance you could rig up something like this along those outside stairs?

http://stairliftsguide.com/img-big/38.jpg

ModSocks
06-03-2016, 03:01 PM

This man knows how to live. He probably has a bad-ass Rascal too.

DaneMcCloud
06-03-2016, 03:03 PM

LMAO

DaneMcCloud
06-03-2016, 03:04 PM
Hey btw, remember that PM i sent you about that car?

I never got back to you on it because it's going to Barrett Jackson....this month.

Sweet!

Rain Man
06-03-2016, 03:24 PM
Yeah and I miscalculated: It's actually 48 stair steps.

I didn't think twice about it in 2003 but in 2016, it ****ing sucks.

I've had scores of people ask "Why didn't they build an elevator in your home?".

Our kitchen is convenient - only about 16 steps or so coming up from the front and two steps coming from the back. But laundry constitutes exercise because we're going from the third floor to the basement.

When we get old, we have a near-perfect spot for a small elevator in our house, but it might not pass code because it would have to replace the only stairwell between the 2nd and 3rd floor and between the 1st floor and basement. So I doubt we could ever do it. But I could move it a few feet to the south and build a dumbwaiter that's big enough for laundry and other stuff - or even a person who crawls inside if he can't have an elevator.

Donger
06-03-2016, 03:41 PM
Just high enough to feel the building sway.

DaneMcCloud
06-03-2016, 03:54 PM
Our kitchen is convenient - only about 16 steps or so coming up from the front and two steps coming from the back. But laundry constitutes exercise because we're going from the third floor to the basement.

When we get old, we have a near-perfect spot for a small elevator in our house, but it might not pass code because it would have to replace the only stairwell between the 2nd and 3rd floor and between the 1st floor and basement. So I doubt we could ever do it. But I could move it a few feet to the south and build a dumbwaiter that's big enough for laundry and other stuff - or even a person who crawls inside if he can't have an elevator.

Have you checked out the home elevators like this? I've seen them in new homes built in my 'hood. They're about $40k installed.

http://www.elevators.com/wp-content/uploads/2015/04/11Glass-Cable-Home-Elevator1.jpg

Rain Man
06-03-2016, 04:03 PM
Have you checked out the home elevators like this? I've seen them in new homes built in my 'hood. They're about $40k installed.

http://www.elevators.com/wp-content/uploads/2015/04/11Glass-Cable-Home-Elevator1.jpg

That's cool looking. I wish it was a pneumatic tube.

scho63
06-03-2016, 04:05 PM
I have a horrible fear of heights and also suffer from extreme claustrophobia so nothing would be worse for me than being on the 200th floor of a skyscraper with floor to ceiling windows in a 150 sq ft apt.

I did a bunch of work in NYC in very fancy apartments and thankfully never got stuck in a super high rise. About the 13th floor was the highest.

DaneMcCloud
06-03-2016, 04:10 PM
That's cool looking. I wish it was a pneumatic tube.

Here ya go

http://www.vacuumelevators.com/

Rain Man
06-03-2016, 04:30 PM
Here ya go

http://www.vacuumelevators.com/

I kind of want one of those.

Rain Man
06-03-2016, 04:30 PM
I have a horrible fear of heights and also suffer from extreme claustrophobia so nothing would be worse for me than being on the 200th floor of a skyscraper with floor to ceiling windows in a 150 sq ft apt.

I did a bunch of work in NYC in very fancy apartments and thankfully never got stuck in a super high rise. About the 13th floor was the highest.

And apparently the trend now is to make the buildings really slender. I wonder how much sway they get. No thanks on that.

DaneMcCloud
06-03-2016, 04:38 PM
I kind of want one of those.

Yeah, these are the types I've seen lately in my 'hood.

I could put one in my foyer to the 4th floor but that doesn't help with groceries, Costco and all that because the kitchen is on the third floor.

kepp
06-03-2016, 04:48 PM

Remember that if the building is of any real size, the first floor is going to basically be two floors high, so 150 feet of rope might not do it. You might still have to drop 15 or 20 feet. I'd keep 175 feet for safe measure.

kepp
06-03-2016, 04:50 PM
To continue my mini rant, i want a new Mustang. I want to trade in my Suv thingy for a 2nd sports car. Impractical? Sure. I don't care.

She says we need the SuV because she has a big family (our immediate family is just me, her, and our son).

WHY THE **** DO I NEED TO MAKE MY PURCHASING DECISIONS BASED ON HER MOM OR SIBLINGS NEEDING A ****ING RIDE???

No, i want smaller, compact and fun.

http://www.hakaproducts.com/wp-content/uploads/2015/10/Danger-Will-Robinson.jpg

listopencil
06-03-2016, 04:53 PM
I would rather live in a cave, near a stream, in a rolling meadow, in the middle of a forest. But with internet access and other modern amenities. So a well furnished cave. I'm basically a Hobbit.

loochy
06-04-2016, 08:33 AM
I don't know. Around here I'd be terrified of storms. I've never live somewhere like that - it would take some getting used to. I chose the last answer - I'd rather have a cabin in the woods or mountains or a beach house. I'm an outdoorsy guy.

loochy
06-04-2016, 08:34 AM
Just high enough to feel the building sway.

It'd be like living on a cruise ship

mdchiefsfan
06-04-2016, 08:50 AM

Moving sounds like a blast.

hometeam
06-04-2016, 09:09 AM
I dont understand why anyone would WANT to live on top or below other people.

If it was an absolute necessity, lower is better, but it sounds just terrible no matter how you slice it.

aturnis
06-04-2016, 11:37 AM
I have a friend that lives on the 42nd floor penthouse in NYC. My favorite building, the Chrysler Building, is just a few blocks away and the views are incredible.

That said, it was scary partying on his deck. 42 stories is freakin' high and while I don't have a fear of heights, I get a little woozy being outside up that high.

I think the 20th floor would be my limit, which would provide a view of Hollywood, Downtown and the Pacific Ocean.

And there's no way I'd want a balcony.
Hard not to get vertigo looking down at those heights.

Easy 6
06-04-2016, 03:56 PM
Would never live higher than the 7th floor, thats the highest an extendable fire truck ladder will reach

ping2000
06-04-2016, 04:04 PM
If you are planning to push people off the balcony, you want to make sure you are high enough for them to reach terminal velocity.

KCUnited
06-04-2016, 04:26 PM
I'm not even that high, but one thing to consider if living on the very top floor is how challenging it is to cool it (obviously depending on your location). I get beat on by sun from every angle all day, no shade, so even with blackout blinds and curtains, its a bitch to keep cool during the day. I have a monster a/c unit that's only 3 years old that I just topped off a few days ago. Also, high efficiency windows are a must. When I first moved in the draft would move the blinds from the wind.

Regarding living above and below people, I see less people in any building I've ever lived in than I did at my house in KC. I couldn't walk outside my house without a neighbors dog barking at me, their kids wanting to say hi, or someone wanting to chit-chat. I have a trustafarian living below me now and outside of him blowing up the stairwell with the dankest of bud smell, I may as well be living here alone.

I don't mind living in a building, especially in the right neighborhood, but around here its a young mans game and I look forward to getting a large square foot house with a pool in t-minus 4 years.

Rain Man
06-04-2016, 06:42 PM
I dont understand why anyone would WANT to live on top or below other people.

If it was an absolute necessity, lower is better, but it sounds just terrible no matter how you slice it.

I think high-rises tend to have good sound insulation above and below, because the floors tend to be concrete. The places where you have a problem with neighbors is the 2 and 3 story units that don't have to be built as solidly.

Other than staying with my then-future wife in her 15th floor apartment, the highest I've ever lived is the 6th floor, and it was quiet as a library. The balcony was high, but also not high enough to be freaky, so I liked that place.

DaneMcCloud
06-04-2016, 06:55 PM
I think high-rises tend to have good sound insulation above and below, because the floors tend to be concrete. The places where you have a problem with neighbors is the 2 and 3 story units that don't have to be built as solidly.

Other than staying with my then-future wife in her 15th floor apartment, the highest I've ever lived is the 6th floor, and it was quiet as a library. The balcony was high, but also not high enough to be freaky, so I liked that place.

I'm good with our 3rd floor balcony but I have to say, I've gotten a little queasy on our 4th floor balconies. Funny thing is that I feel more comfortable on the smaller 4th as opposed to the larger of the two.

I'm fine looking ahead or even but once I look down its like "Whoa".

stevieray
06-04-2016, 06:55 PM
Warehouse loft with a freight elevator?

Bring it on!

DaneMcCloud
06-04-2016, 06:57 PM

Bring it on!

Yes!

My one big regret before kids is never living in a Live-Work loft in a downtown area.

Rain Man
06-04-2016, 07:03 PM

Bring it on!

Yeah, that would be really cool. I've always wanted to convert some sort of non-living space into a home. I've seriously pondered it more than once but have never been in a life position to pull it off.

Miles
06-04-2016, 08:28 PM
And apparently the trend now is to make the buildings really slender. I wonder how much sway they get. No thanks on that.

Was just reading about the that trend in Manhattan last week. Can't imagine the sway being good on upper levels or finding that tolerable.

GloryDayz
06-04-2016, 10:04 PM
No Gaz reference/option??? W! T! F!

tmax63
06-05-2016, 06:18 AM
After seeing the people jumping from the WTC on 9/11 I have absolutely no desire to be that far off the ground unless there is a requirement/need that I cannot control.

hometeam
06-05-2016, 08:56 AM

Eh, I dont even want to have a neighbor I can see. let alone live on top of.

Titty Meat
06-05-2016, 09:09 AM
I hate heights

lewdog
06-05-2016, 10:00 AM
Praying that Dane is ok and safe from the California wildfire. Sounds like lots of rich people are in trouble.

Anyone heard from him?

Rausch
06-05-2016, 10:08 AM
I'm done moving (I hope.)

There's no way I'd move $3it upstairs again...

DaneMcCloud
06-05-2016, 10:43 AM
Praying that Dane is ok and safe from the California wildfire. Sounds like lots of rich people are in trouble.

Anyone heard from him?

We're 25 miles from the wildfires in Calabassas but thanks for the concern.

lewdog
06-05-2016, 10:54 AM

Fantastic news Dane! I wasn't sure. :thumb:

GloryDayz
06-05-2016, 11:15 AM

Woot for you and yours. Great news...

Mr. Flopnuts
06-06-2016, 04:24 PM

Hey, bullshit in this thread aside, glad you and yours are good!

GloryDayz
06-06-2016, 04:58 PM
Hey, bullshit in this thread aside, glad you and yours are good!
Thus. CP hangs tight.

Sent from my phone using Tapatalk (so spelling be damned!!!)