PDA

View Full Version : Football Reload this Page Football Quarterbackery: Round 1, Heat 5

Rain Man
06-03-2016, 05:05 PM
Today we compare two of the league's most popular franchises among people who know nothing about football: the Dallas Cowboys and the Denver Broncos.

Dallas Cowboys

Troy Aikman - 12
Tony Romo - 8
Roger Staubach - 8
Danny White - 6
Craig Morton - 3
Don Meredith - 3 (actually led team for 7 seasons, but only 3 since 1966)
Quincy Carter - 2
Steve Pelleur - 2
Matt Cassel - 1
Jon Kitna - 1
Drew Bledsoe - 1
Vinny Testaverde - 1
Chad Hutchinson - 1
Gary Hogeboom - 1

The Cowboys have produced 20 pro bowls during this period, led by Troy Aikman with 6.

Denver Broncos

John Elway - 16
Craig Morton - 5
Peyton Manning - 4
Jake Plummer - 4
Brian Griese - 4
Steve Ramsey - 3
Charley Johnson - 3
Kyle Orton - 2
Jay Cutler - 2
Steve Tensi - 2
Tim Tebow - 1
Steve Deberg - 1
Pete Liske - 1
Marlin Briscoe - 1
Max Choboian - 1

They produced 15 pro bowls during that period, led by the Baltimore Colts' John Elway, who had 9 even though three of those seasons were marked by abysmal QB ratings below 80 and five of those seasons had fewer than 20 TD passes, and in his career he only had one season with more than 4,000 yards and never threw more than 27 TDs in a season and finished his career with a QB rating of 79.9, which is lower than the career ratings of Kyle Orton and Brian Griese.

Coochie liquor
06-03-2016, 05:12 PM
Good matchup, gotta take Dallas head to head. Also fuck Dungver.

Rain Man
06-03-2016, 05:24 PM
My thoughts.

Holy cow, Cowboys. 20 pro bowls? I'm wondering if any other team can beat that. While one could criticize Romo in big games, the truth of the matter is that they've hit on a franchise quarterback four times with Staubach, Aikman, Romo, and to some extent Meredith. They had a pre-Romo period of wandering through the wilderness, but for the most part they've been good about finding a long-term answer at QB.

Perhaps more impressive is the fact that they've gotten them cheap, with Aikman being the only high draft pick. Plus, they got Danny White to punt while he was their backup.

Like them or not, Dallas has done a sterling job with quarterbacks and it's paid off handsomely.

With Denver, it's a unique story. They made a good decision to purchase Manning, who gave them three pro bowls along with one of the worst seasons a QB has ever had.

And then of course they tampered with the Colts to obtain Elway, who was basically Kyle Orton with a marketing department for his first 10 years. Seriously, do you count all of his pro bowls? He made the pro bowl in 1991 with 13 TDs, 12 Ints, and a QB rating of 75.3. In 1989 he was a pro bowler with 18 TDs, 18 Ints, and a QB rating of 73.7. As reference, Matt Cassel's career rating with the Chiefs was 77.5. From 1992 through 1998, when they made him a game manager, Elway was a pretty solid quarterback, so I'd give him credit for 4 of his pro bowls, and the other five were hype.

So the Broncos really had 3 years of a good Manning, 6 years of a solid Elway, and 41 years of Kyle Orton clones. That still puts them above a lot of teams, so I would say that they were average overall.

cdcox
06-03-2016, 05:25 PM
Everyone should check the last option before giving the other poll options careful consideration.

Why Not?
06-03-2016, 05:31 PM
Both very strong. To me, Aikman and Staubach and Elway and end of career, over inflated offensive league Manning are a push. Next best is probably Romo. Dallas by a hair

Rain Man
06-03-2016, 05:36 PM
I have no idea why the title now says, "Reload this page". My internet has been goofy the past couple of days.

lewdog
06-03-2016, 06:40 PM
Is there another franchise that can match the Cowboys QB list? It's pretty dang loaded up top there.

rico
06-03-2016, 08:26 PM
Is there another franchise that can match the Cowboys QB list? It's pretty dang loaded up top there.

The main team that comes to mind for me is the Packers.

lewdog
06-03-2016, 08:53 PM
The main team that comes to mind for me is the Packers.

Oooohhhhh, good call.

Indian Chief
06-03-2016, 10:32 PM
Packers is a good call. 49ers are probably a tick behind them due to recent problems, but going Montana to Young is bonkers.

Coochie liquor
06-04-2016, 07:36 AM
And colts if you count Baltimore Colts.