PDA

View Full Version : Football Quarterbackery: Round 1, Heat 6

Rain Man
06-05-2016, 04:52 PM
Our comparison today takes us to the NFC North: Detroit versus Green Bay. This ought to be close.

Detroit

Matt Stafford - 6 seasons
Greg Landry - 5
Joey Harrington - 4
Eric Hipple - 4
Gary Danielson - 4
Bill Munson - 4
Charlie Batch - 3
Scott Mitchell - 3
Rodney Peete - 3
Jon Kitna - 2
Shaun Hill -1
Dan Orlovsky - 1
Gus Frerotte - 1
Dave Krieg - 1
Erik Kramer - 1
Bob Gagliano - 1
Rusty Hilger - 1
Chuck Long - 1
Jeff Komlo - 1
Joe Reed - 1
Milt Plum - 1 (Led team for 4 season, but only 1 since 1966)
Karl Sweetan - 1

They produced 2 pro bowls in this period, one by Greg Landry and one by Matt Stafford.

Green Bay

Brett Favre - 16 seasons
Aaron Rodgers - 8
Lynn Dickey - 8
Bart Starr - 4 (Led team for 12 seasons, but only 4 since 1966)
Don Majkowski - 3
Randy Wright - 2
David Whitehurst - 2
John Hadl - 2
Scott Hunter - 2
Mike Tomczak - 1
Jerry Tagge - 1
Don Horn - 1

They produced 16 pro bowls, led by Brett Favre with 9.

Bowser
06-05-2016, 04:54 PM
Welp, this may have well been a bye for Green Bay.

TimBone
06-05-2016, 04:55 PM
I'm probably gonna vote Detroit simply out of sympathy.

Bowser
06-05-2016, 04:57 PM
I'm probably gonna vote Detroit simply out of sympathy.

Don't you pussy out on this. You bury Detroit like they deserve to be buried.

Why Not?
06-05-2016, 05:00 PM
This would be like a football game between the Albanian national team vs the all NFL team

Why Not?
06-05-2016, 05:01 PM
Ok, which one of you is the funny guy that picked Detroit to have had very strong QB play?

TimBone
06-05-2016, 05:02 PM
Don't you pussy out on this. You bury Detroit like they deserve to be buried.
Sorry man, stuff like the link below makes me smile way too much. I can't vote against them.

https://youtu.be/vGs1VuT6FEw

Sorry I can't embed, I'm on my phone.

Rain Man
06-05-2016, 05:03 PM
My thoughts. Let's start with Detroit.

Having seen Detroit and Chicago so far, I can't explain why Green Bay hasn't won the division for the past 50 years unless Minnesota shows up. Detroit may be worse than Chicago, and I thought Chicago was the worst.

The even weirder thing about Detroit is that they would stick with bad quarterbacks, bench them or get them hurt, bring them back, and bench them again. Hipple led the team for four years, but it was over a six-year period. Danielson led the team for four years, but it was every second year for eight years. Landry led the team for five years, but it happened over an eight-year period where he was off the radar for three years. Munson led the team for four years, but it was two sets of two with a three year gap.

WTF, Detroit? It's as if they were trying to be bad at the position.

And then we move to Green Bay. Honestly, they weren't quite as dominant as I expected, but they still had a top-notch quarterback for roughly 30 of 50 years, more if you like Lynn Dickey. I don't remember Lynn Dickey, but don't think he was particularly dominant. However, he did oddly have a 4,458 yard season in 1983, which is pretty spectacular.

I would rate Green Bay as very strong on the virtue of last 25 years and the tail end of the Starr era. Detroit is a mess and always has been, so they're very weak.

Rain Man
06-05-2016, 05:05 PM
I bet the University of Michigan had better NFL quarterbacks over the past 50 years than the Lions.

TimBone
06-05-2016, 05:15 PM
Dickey was before my time, but I believe Milkman mentioned that he was very average.

TimBone
06-05-2016, 05:16 PM
Of course, Milkman also hates Dr. Pepper, so what the **** does he know?

TimBone
06-05-2016, 05:18 PM
Also, any bets on which QB makes the most teams lists? I see Dave Kreig yet again there on Detroit list.

Rain Man
06-05-2016, 05:20 PM
Also, any bets on which QB makes the most teams lists? I see Dave Kreig yet again there on Detroit list.

Krieg and Testaverde have to be the favorites, I would think. Have we had a heat yet where at least one of them didn't show up?

Rain Man
06-05-2016, 05:21 PM
Of course, Milkman also hates Dr. Pepper, so what the **** does he know?

I can't even imagine hating Dr. Pepper. It's probably the best drink in the world after water and Pibb Extra. (Pibb Extra is underrated since it's a spinoff.)

Lemonade might be #3.

TimBone
06-05-2016, 05:23 PM
I can't even imagine hating Dr. Pepper. It's probably the best drink in the world after water and Pibb Extra. (Pibb Extra is underrated since it's a spinoff.)

Lemonade might be #3.
I'm from central Texas (the heart of Dr. Pepper territory), so I don't dare mention this anywhere where my family might read it, but I also prefer Pibb Xtra over Dr. Pepper.

Indian Chief
06-05-2016, 09:06 PM
I'm from central Texas (the heart of Dr. Pepper territory), so I don't dare mention this anywhere where my family might read it, but I also prefer Pibb Xtra over Dr. Pepper.

Maybe it's my age, maybe location -- but wtf is Pibb Xtra?

Rain Man
06-05-2016, 09:31 PM
Maybe it's my age, maybe location -- but wtf is Pibb Xtra?

It's Coca Cola's direct frontal assault on Dr. Pepper. It's essentially their version of Dr. Pepper. It was known as Mr. Pibb for years, but at some point became Pibb Extra. It's a very good soda.