PDA

View Full Version : Home and Auto Jasonauto a little info on shift cable replacement PLEASE

Chief Roundup
06-06-2016, 05:39 PM
I am trying to replace the shift cable that broke on my 97 GMC Sierra. I am having trouble getting the plastic "ears" to collapse on the cable where it snaps in place under my dash. I cannot get my hand or a pair of pliers or channel locks in there to where I can squeeze those "ears" down so that I can slide the cable out of the metal bracket that is spot welded to my column. Yes I have removed the metal clips that go in behind those "ears" that keep it from coming out.
For an example what I am referring to can be viewed at the 5:13 mark on this video.
<iframe width="560" height="315" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/o0LOOdR7tuM" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Hog's Gone Fishin
06-06-2016, 05:42 PM
Hook it too a winch

Chief Roundup
06-06-2016, 05:43 PM
I am thinking about taking a chisel to the top one since I can get the bottom one to collapse. Just want to see if he can tell me something easy that I am not thinking of or just plain doing wrong.

Chief Roundup
06-06-2016, 05:45 PM
I notice now that I left an S out of his name. Sorry about that.

Hog's Gone Fishin
06-06-2016, 05:57 PM
I notice now that I left an S out of his name. Sorry about that.

You fucked up. He'll probably just put you on ignore. Sorry .

Chief Roundup
06-06-2016, 06:00 PM
You ****ed up. He'll probably just put you on ignore. Sorry .

I did but :deevee: Please for give me JASONSAUTO. :wayne:

SAUTO
06-06-2016, 06:21 PM
Ive got a small pair of channel locks that work great for that job.

Or just take out the four mounting nuts/bolts for the column and let it go to the floor as far as it will and reach in over it

SAUTO
06-06-2016, 06:24 PM
And if the bottom will collapse just break the top one off. Why fuck with it?

SAUTO
06-06-2016, 06:25 PM
A long hose hook works good too. Angled tip and they are good to leverage in there.

Or heat up a cheap ass long straight screwdriver and bend the end to a 45 and use it as a lever

Chief Roundup
06-06-2016, 06:51 PM
And if the bottom will collapse just break the top one off. Why **** with it?

I am afraid of bending that metal flange that holds the cable. It is such tight quarters the only way I can figure out to get to it is to use a chisel to cut through the plastic.

Chief Roundup
06-06-2016, 06:51 PM
Ive got a small pair of channel locks that work great for that job.

Or just take out the four mounting nuts/bolts for the column and let it go to the floor as far as it will and reach in over it
If I drop the column it would block my access.

SAUTO
06-06-2016, 06:54 PM
I am afraid of bending that metal flange that holds the cable. It is such tight quarters the only way I can figure out to get to it is to use a chisel to cut through the plastic.

Don't go crazy. Lol

SAUTO
06-06-2016, 06:56 PM
If I drop the column it would block my access.

Yeah, some others are on top. Lol I hadn't looked at your video.

Take off the module, and air duct under it and you will have some more room.

You must have huge hands because mine aren't small and I can reach in and squeeze those by hand

SAUTO
06-06-2016, 06:57 PM
I've got some hose puller pliers that work great for that too. The end is a circular gripping area and the points push those perfectly. And the pliers are at least a foot long.

Chief Roundup
06-06-2016, 07:00 PM
Alright thanks man. I pulled the broken cable out of the sheath, broke of the plastic guide tube off and gave it one good whack with the chisel and hammer and out she came.
What a bitch this has been. I had to remove the seat and carpet as well as the knee kicker plate. Going back will be easier for sure.

Chief Roundup
06-06-2016, 07:16 PM
Yeah, some others are on top. Lol I hadn't looked at your video.

Take off the module, and air duct under it and you will have some more room.

You must have huge hands because mine aren't small and I can reach in and squeeze those by hand

My hands aren't that big, I think the plastic must have been hardened with age since it busted into pieces with one hit.

SAUTO
06-06-2016, 07:18 PM
Alright thanks man. I pulled the broken cable out of the sheath, broke of the plastic guide tube off and gave it one good whack with the chisel and hammer and out she came.
What a bitch this has been. I had to remove the seat and carpet as well as the knee kicker plate. Going back will be easier for sure.

Yeah those were one of the most ignorant routings I've ever seen

Pasta Little Brioni
06-06-2016, 08:12 PM
He's also a sake expert

Hog's Gone Fishin
06-06-2016, 08:18 PM
He's also a sake expert

WTF is a Sake expert ?

Pasta Little Brioni
06-06-2016, 08:47 PM
WTF is a Sake expert ?

Means he can fetch those bad boys in short order

Psyko Tek
06-06-2016, 08:51 PM

Famous last words
seriously good luck dude

Buehler445
06-06-2016, 09:57 PM
My hands are that big, I think the plastic must have been hardened with age since it busted into pieces with one hit.

I feel your pain bud. I have big hands too. I have a tire on my semi trailer for my sprayer that has a leak in the inside dual. When I blow it up very morning I can get my hand in there OK but I have a hell of a time getting it back out through the hold with the valve cover.

Doesn't help that I have arthritis and jamming those joints feels nice.

Chief Roundup
06-07-2016, 10:17 AM
I feel your pain bud. I have big hands too. I have a tire on my semi trailer for my sprayer that has a leak in the inside dual. When I blow it up very morning I can get my hand in there OK but I have a hell of a time getting it back out through the hold with the valve cover.

Doesn't help that I have arthritis and jamming those joints feels nice.

That was a mistype on my part my hands are not overly big.

Chief Roundup
06-07-2016, 10:19 AM
Got it all back together with only one problem.
I cannot get it into 1 manually. The cable is one piece so I cannot adjust it in that manner. It works for P through 2 just not to 1.
How do I adjust the cable to make it manually go into 1?

Chief Roundup
06-07-2016, 07:14 PM
bump for my jinx of going back be easier.

SAUTO
06-07-2016, 07:14 PM
ROFLbump for my jinx of going back be easier.

Chief Roundup
06-07-2016, 08:40 PM
Got it all back together with only one problem.
I cannot get it into 1 manually. The cable is one piece so I cannot adjust it in that manner. It works for P through 2 just not to 1.
How do I adjust the cable to make it manually go into 1?

Any ideas?

SAUTO
06-07-2016, 09:27 PM
Any ideas?

Maybe you bent that bracket a little? Never had that happen to me.