PDA

View Full Version : Football Quarterbackery: Round 1, Heat 12

Rain Man
06-13-2016, 05:50 PM
In today's matchup, we present the participants of that one Super Bowl back in the 80s that no one remembers except Dick Vermeil. That's right, it's the Oakland Raiders against the Philadelphia Eagles.

Raiders

Ken Stabler - 7
Daryle Lamonica - 6
Rich Gannon - 5
Jeff Hostetler - 4
Jay Schroeder - 4
Marc Wilson - 4
Jim Plunkett - 4
Derek Carr - 2 (and current starter)
Carson Palmer - 2
Jamarcus Russell - 2
Kerry Collins - 2
Terrelle Pryor - 1
Jason Campbell - 1
Daunte Culpepper - 1
Andrew Walter - 1
Donald Hollas - 1
Jeff George - 1
Steve Beuerlein - 1
Tom Flores - 1 (led the team for 5 seasons, but only 1 since 1966)

They produced 15 pro bowls, led by Lamonica, Stabler, and Gannon with four each.

Donovan McNabb - 10
Ron Jaworski - 10
Randall Cunningham - 6
Norm Snead - 5 (led team for 7 seasons, but only 5 since 1966)
Michael Vick - 3
Roman Gabriel - 3
Sam Bradford - 1 (and current starter - haha)
Mark Sanchez - 1
Nick Foles - 1
Doug Pederson - 1
Koy Detmer - 1
Bobby Hoying - 1
Ty Detmer - 1
Rodney Peete - 1
Bubby Brister - 1
Jim McMahon - 1
Mike Boryla - 1
John Reaves - 1
Pete Liske - 1

They produced 14 pro bowls, led by Donovan McNabb with 6.

Rain Man
06-13-2016, 06:03 PM
My first thought is that when these two teams struggle at quarterback, they really struggle at quarterback. Those lists of 1 and 2 year guys are a horror show.

Aside from that, I feel like the Raiders are weaker than they appear. 15 pro bowls? Lamonica was before my time so I can't comment there, and I never thought of Stabler as a world beater. Gannon was a painful fluke, going to four pro bowls beginning the year after he left the Chiefs. Shaking my head over that. But I look at that list of quarterbacks and I'm not seeing anything above average in total. I'll rate them average to respect the pro bowls, but even then that seems generous.

On the other hand, the Eagles are stronger than their pro bowl stats indicate. 34 years of McNabb, Jaworski, Cunningham, Snead, and the Dog Murderer seems like a really good record. Oddly, Jaworski only got 1 pro bowl and Snead was in multiple pro bowls, but not for the Eagles in this time frame. Now, when they're bad they're shockingly bad, as evidenced by the sheer number of Detmers on their list, but I still think they're very strong.

In a funny note, I was looking up pro bowls and was shocked that Mike Boryla was in one. I didn't remember him as a top player, and in his pro bowl year he had 996 yards passing, 6 TDs, and 12 interceptions. Read his story here: http://www.foxsports.com/nfl/story/philadelphia-eagle-mike-boryla-s-unlikely-pro-bowl-experience-012616. Pro Football Reference calls him the worst pro bowl pick of all time, but in a funny turn of events he threw two late touchdown passes to lead the NFC to victory: http://www.pro-football-reference.com/blog/?p=5875

Hydrae
06-13-2016, 07:20 PM
If I give you a dollar for something that costs 75 cents, what do you give me?

The item which you are purchasing. Can I get you anything else?

Rain Man
06-13-2016, 09:06 PM
The item which you are purchasing. Can I get you anything else?

You're so close.

I'm glad to see Philadelphia coming back in this one. I think they're notably stronger than Oakland.

Rain Man
06-14-2016, 05:41 PM
Tsk, tsk. I'll count the Raiders as the winner, but I disagree with the findings.

Rasputin
06-14-2016, 05:59 PM
<iframe width="747" height="420" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/pmdM4tnv_ko" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

I love this play by Brandon Flowers