PDA

View Full Version : Home and Auto Anyone switched their tube T12s to LEDs?

Silock
06-22-2016, 06:19 AM
I need to buy some new tubes for some of my shop lights, but I want to go LED, I think. Pros? Cons?

Anyone done this? I'd like to be able to leave the ballasts in there, because it would be a pain in the ass to access the ballasts on some of these.

Bwana
06-22-2016, 06:50 AM
I have been thinking about doing the same thing. I have switched all the lights in the house to led, along with all the motion lights outside and it made a huge difference in the quality and brightness of the light.

Buehler445
06-22-2016, 11:02 AM
Just get white ones. Don't do yellow. Thank me later.

I've got some LeD in my kitchen that are bright as fuck and I like them. But I've never replaced the tubes with them.

DJ's left nut
06-22-2016, 11:07 AM
Yeah, thinking about doing it as well.

Near as I can tell, if you want to keep the fixture, virtually all of the LED bulbs will require a ballast bypass.

I have about 30 of them in my workshop and garage; 60 bulbs and bypasses will not be cheap so I just haven't talked myself into it yet. There's little question that I'll be much happier when I do; the flicker on those T12s is awful and they simply don't last terribly long.

I should probably just go buy a 50 pack on amazon and replace them as they burn up.

SAUTO
06-22-2016, 11:10 AM
I had a lighting guy from kc do all mine.

I fix all his shit so it was free and that made it a no brainer lol

cmh6476
06-22-2016, 02:19 PM
20k sq ft facility, replaced t12s with LED through a local vendor when the KCPL rebate was available. Saved about half the cost, and in addition to the energy savings love the low maintenance, haven't had to do shit with them in the couple years we have had them

Bugeater
06-22-2016, 03:49 PM
T12s have been out of production for years, how the hell have those of you who still have those fixtures been getting by?

SAUTO
06-22-2016, 04:26 PM
T12s have been out of production for years, how the hell have those of you who still have those fixtures been getting by?

I literally never had one go bad. Guess I was lucky.

The leds are so much brighter though.

I got the T12 conversion done by the same guy.

Pls lighting is what he goes by up there iircq,

Al Bundy
06-22-2016, 04:50 PM
We recently underwent the change to all LED's at my place of employment. Go white, they are so much brighter.

DJ's left nut
06-22-2016, 04:53 PM

Not hard to find online.

Buehler445
06-22-2016, 05:24 PM
We recently underwent the change to all LED's at my place of employment. Go white, they are so much brighter.

I think the lumens are the same but it's so much easier to see. I can't run a shop with yellow lights. I'll go crazy.

Way back when CFL first came out I bought some daylight ones by accident and haven't bought anything but the whitest white I couldn't find since.

Al Bundy
06-22-2016, 05:30 PM
I think the lumens are the same but it's so much easier to see. I can't run a shop with yellow lights. I'll go crazy.

Way back when CFL first came out I bought some daylight ones by accident and haven't bought anything but the whitest white I couldn't find since.

I use those white daylight ones all over the house. I love them.

Bugeater
06-22-2016, 07:12 PM
Not hard to find online.
I was wondering if it was like the so-called "ban" on incandescent bulbs that I still have no trouble purchasing.

Marcellus
06-22-2016, 07:18 PM
I recently converted my garage/shop to all LED, I have 10 4ft LED's I purchased from Sam's for $32 each I think it was.

I absolutely love it and would do it again. I actually have about 75% of my house switched to LED as well. I bought the LED replacement can lights for my living room and love those too.

Demonpenz
06-22-2016, 11:26 PM
You owe me money your xbox 360 doesn't work anymore.

A Salt Weapon
06-23-2016, 12:52 AM
I switched my whole house to LED and now my electric bill runs me $20 per month, I'm happy. Did the garage and shed with the LED shop lights from Costco too. 10x brighter for 1/10th the cost

eDave
06-23-2016, 01:08 AM
I replace the interior lights of every car I own. White in front, in the door panels, and in the trunk. Red in the back seats usually.