PDA

View Full Version : Football Quarterbackery: Round 3, Heat 1 and current standings

Rain Man
06-29-2016, 02:50 PM
Here is the current scoring. Whenever a team hits the high score or low score all alone, they'll get locked into the rankings and be removed from the competition. You get 1 point for winning your heat and -1 for coming in last. (In Round 1 you got 1 or 0 since I didn't have my system down yet.)

The standings right now are:

2 Points

Buffalo Green Bay New England San Francisco

1 point

Arizona Cincinnati Dallas Cowboys Indianapolis Miami NY Giants Pittsburgh Tennessee Atlanta Denver Philadelphia San Diego

0 points

Carolina Kansas City Oakland Los Angeles Baltimore Cleveland Houston Jacksonville Minnesota New Orleans Seattle Washington

-1 points

Chicago Detroit NY Jets Tampa Bay

And now we start Round 3 with some cold weather teams that can chuck the rock.

Buffalo

Joe Ferguson - 12
Jim Kelly - 11
Ryan Fitzpatrick - 4
Drew Bledsoe - 3
Dennis Shaw - 3
Jack Kemp - 3 (led team for 6 seasons, 3 before 1966)
Doug Flutie - 2
Trent Edwards - 2
Tyrod Taylor - 1 (Current starter)
Kyle Orton - 1
E.J. Manuel - 1
J.P. Losman - 1
Kelly Holcomb - 1
Alex Van Pelt - 1
Rob Johnson - 1
Todd Collins - 1
Vince Ferragamo - 1
Dan Darragh - 1

The Bills produced 10 pro bowlers in 50 years, with Jim Kelly leading at 5.

Green Bay

Brett Favre - 16 seasons
Aaron Rodgers - 8
Lynn Dickey - 8
Bart Starr - 4 (Led team for 12 seasons, but only 4 since 1966)
Don Majkowski - 3
Randy Wright - 2
David Whitehurst - 2
John Hadl - 2
Scott Hunter - 2
Mike Tomczak - 1
Jerry Tagge - 1
Don Horn - 1

The Packers produced 16 pro bowls, led by Brett Favre with 9.

New England

Tom Brady - 14 seasons (and current starter)
Steve Grogan - 11
Drew Bledsoe - 8
Jim Plunkett - 4
Tony Eason - 3
Hugh Millen - 2
Babe Parilli - 2 (led team for 6 seasons, but only 2 since 1966)
Matt Cassel - 1
Marc Wilson - 1
Doug Flutie - 1
Joe Kapp - 1
Mike Taliafarro - 1
Tom Sherman - 1

The Patriots have produced 16 pro bowls, led by Tom Brady with 11.

San Francisco

Joe Montana - 10 seasons
Steve Young - 8
John Brodie - 7 (led team for 12, but only 7 since 1966)
Alex Smith - 5
Jeff Garcia - 5
Colin Kaepernick - 3
Steve Deberg - 3
Jim Plunkett - 2
Blaine Gabbert - 1 (and current starter)
Shaun Hill - 1
Trent Dilfer - 1
Tim Rattay - 1
Norm Snead - 1
Tom Owen - 1
Steve Spurrier - 1

The 49ers produced 18 pro bowls, led by Joe Montana and Steve Young with 7 each.

Amnorix
06-29-2016, 03:39 PM
Christ this is tough.

Buffalo as the weakest is easy. That leaves Pats/SF/GB for best.

Pats are an easy out. SF/GB just have waaay more years of awesome QB play. Brady is da man, but Bledsoe does NOT compare, even remotely, to whoever you want to say is #2 at SF (Young/Montana) or GB (Rodgers/Favre).

So that leaves SF/GB. I think out of the QBs listed for those teams, you have Montana/Young/Rodgers as superawesome. I don't think Favre is as good as those guys. Too many INTs. Too much of a gunslinger. Now, don't get me wrong, Favre was pretty fucking awesome. I'm just saying that he is a half-notch below the other three.

But that isn't all. Favre+Rodgers is 24 years and counting. And behind them you have 4 years of BArt Starr, who was winning SBs. Sure, he was winning them on very balanced teams, and nobody thinks he's in the same tier as the other guys, but he's still a HOFer. Put those 3 together and you're at 28 years of awesome QB, against 18 for Montana/Young.

Behind the awesome QBs, you've got SF with the edge. Alex Smith/Garcia/Kaep > Lynn Dickey and the host of nobodies. By a fair margin at that. Dickey wasn't really much good, and the nobodies were nobodies for a reason.

So yeah, that's as close as it gets sports fans. Toss your coin and have done with it. I'll take SF, but it's absurdly close in my mind. I just like Young/Montana > Rodgers/Favre. But hell, if Rodgers is still doing in five years what he's been doing, it's probably going to be pretty strongly in GB's favor.

Rain Man
06-29-2016, 03:53 PM
Christ this is tough.

Buffalo as the weakest is easy. That leaves Pats/SF/GB for best.

Pats are an easy out. SF/GB just have waaay more years of awesome QB play. Brady is da man, but Bledsoe does NOT compare, even remotely, to whoever you want to say is #2 at SF (Young/Montana) or GB (Rodgers/Favre).

So that leaves SF/GB. I think out of the QBs listed for those teams, you have Montana/Young/Rodgers as superawesome. I don't think Favre is as good as those guys. Too many INTs. Too much of a gunslinger. Now, don't get me wrong, Favre was pretty ****ing awesome. I'm just saying that he is a half-notch below the other three.

But that isn't all. Favre+Rodgers is 24 years and counting. And behind them you have 4 years of BArt Starr, who was winning SBs. Sure, he was winning them on very balanced teams, and nobody thinks he's in the same tier as the other guys, but he's still a HOFer. Put those 3 together and you're at 28 years of awesome QB, against 18 for Montana/Young.

Behind the awesome QBs, you've got SF with the edge. Alex Smith/Garcia/Kaep > Lynn Dickey and the host of nobodies. By a fair margin at that. Dickey wasn't really much good, and the nobodies were nobodies for a reason.

So yeah, that's as close as it gets sports fans. Toss your coin and have done with it. I'll take SF, but it's absurdly close in my mind. I just like Young/Montana > Rodgers/Favre. But hell, if Rodgers is still doing in five years what he's been doing, it's probably going to be pretty strongly in GB's favor.

That's exactly my thinking, even down to the punctuation. I really wanted to vote for San Francisco just because their top end performance was higher, but in the end I voted for Green Bay. Even if Favre is half a notch down, they had 28 years of Hall of Famers in the past 50. That's pretty amazing, and that's not even considering another 8 years of Bart Starr before the clock started.

At the same time, though, it's so hard to vote against that top end of San Francisco and their really good second tier.

Rain Man
06-29-2016, 04:02 PM
At the end, my thought process was...

8 years of Rodgers vs. 8 years of Young = dead heat
16 years of Favre vs. 10 years of Montana and 7 years of Brodie = Slight edge to SF but could be a draw
4 years of Bart Starr vs. 5 years of Jeff Garcia = Big edge to GB even though I like Garcia
8 years of Dickey vs. 5 years of Smith and 3 years of Deberg = Big edge to SF
3 years of Majkowski vs. 3 years of Kaepernick = dead heat
The rest are not really a factor

I could really see it going either way. I voted for GB primarily because of Starr as a tiebreaker, but then again I'd much rather have Smith and Deberg over Dickey. Maybe I should've voted SF.

But jeez, 28 years of Hall of Famers for GB if Rodgers goes in? That's massive.