PDA

View Full Version : Chiefs Eric Berry ‘a bit surprised’ on lack of extension progress

Pages : [1] 2 3 4 5 6 7 8

Quesadilla Joe
07-09-2016, 09:18 AM
http://www.kansascity.com/sports/nfl/kansas-city-chiefs/article88612427.html

Against the backdrop of approximately 352 kids laughing, jumping and playing on a humid summer night, Chiefs safety Eric Berry wore a smile on his face as he stood on the turf at North Kansas City High School and explained what he knew about his current contract status.

And Berry — who has until July 15 to get an extension done with the Chiefs, lest he play the 2016 under the one-year franchise tag — took a break from his sixth annual free youth football camp on Friday and made a few things clear.

One, he absolutely still wants to be a Chief for the long term.

And, two, yes, he is a bit surprised it’s taken so long for a new deal to get done.

“I thought it would progress a little bit more,” Berry said. “But it’s still been pretty much the same since the last time we talked. A lot can change in a week. A lot can change for whenever the deadline is.”

Berry’s surprise makes sense. Chiefs chairman Clark Hunt said at the NFL’s annual meeting in March that he’s hopeful to get a long-term deal done with Berry, and that he’s “certainly” somebody that they “would like to be a Chief for a very, very long time.”

Hunt added that he got a sense that Berry shared the sentiment to stay, a notion the 27-year old Berry — who has spent the last seven years with the Chiefs — also said in March and repeated Friday.

“Obviously I’d love to be a Chief — I want to be a Chief long term, just because of the community, the staff, from top to bottom, the players and everything,” Berry said. “But sometimes things don’t go as planned, and I’m prepared for that, but hopefully it goes as planned, and I’m prepared for that, as well.”

If the Chiefs can’t reach a new deal with Berry before the July 15 deadline, Berry would have to play the 2016 season under the $10.8 million franchise tender. However, he could also hold off on signing the tender, which would allow him to skip training camp and the preseason and return shortly before the regular season and still collect his full $10.8 million salary.

Still, an extension is sensible for both sides. Although the franchise tender is good money (and guaranteed, too) Berry stands to collect far more guaranteed money with a new deal, as he has the same number of all-pro selections (two) and three more Pro Bowl selections (four) than the league’s highest-paid safety, Harrison Smith, who recently signed a five-year, $51.25 million pact with the Vikings that includes nearly $29 million guaranteed.

What’s more, assuming Berry agreed to a richer deal than Smith’s, the cash-strapped Chiefs — who have a league-low $226,818 in cap space. according to the NFL Players Association — would still stand to create a minimum of $3 million or so in cap room this year with an extension. Iit’s worth noting the team already has a significant amount of money committed to 2017 — upwards of $166 million, which already surpasses the 2016 cap number of $155 million.

The Chiefs also have the option of rescinding the tender on Berry, which would create $10.8 million in cap room. However, that would make one of their most popular — and more important — players an unrestricted free agent, which hardly seems like a reasonable option for a team with Super Bowl aspirations.

“It’s a completely different atmosphere (without him),” said center Mitch Morse, who helped out at Berry’s camp on Friday. “I’ve only met a few people who, when they walk into a room full of people, that you feel their presence and people immediately shut up. He’s such a profound speaker, and he has profound things to say, and you inherently want to listen and gain knowledge. You respect the hell out of him.”

Berry, who fast-tracked his way back from a December 2014 diagnosis of Hodgkin lymphoma to return in time for the start of training camp last July, served as the emotional leader of the 2015 Chiefs, which rallied from a 1-5 start to win 11 straight games, including their first playoff win in 22 years.

He did it on the field too, as he looked quicker and faster than in previous seasons — he was back to playing at his college weight of 210 pounds — on the way to racking up 61 tackles, 10 pass deflections and two interceptions and make the Pro Bowl, be named an all-pro and win the NFL’s comeback player of the year award.

“He’s one of the main focal points of this team,” said Morse, whose comments have been parroted by several teammates, including quarterback Alex Smith. “He means a lot to Chiefs Kingdom, and he sure as hell means a lot to us, as players. We’re incomplete without him and we love the energy and passion he brings.”

Still, business is business, and Berry understands that. One of his closest friends on the team is outside linebacker Justin Houston, who was franchise-tagged in March 2015 after a 22-sack season and had to wait out the next several months as his agent, Joel Segal, and the Chiefs hammered out a six-year, $101 million extension right before the July 15 deadline.

“It’s crazy because I was talking to him when he was going through the exact same thing — it’s like roles have switched just a year later,” Berry said. “He just keeps telling me to be patient and control what I can control. So I gave him that advice, and he’s given me the same advice. That’s all I can do.”

So Berry, who has always believed in letting his work speak for himself, has spent the last several months training in Florida, getting ready for the season.

He looked trim and happy as he worked with the kids on Friday — the turnout was the best his camp in Kansas City has ever had, by the way — his trademark brown, red-tinged hair and goatee fluffy and full, a stark contrast to the way he looked last summer, even after his chemo treatments had long come to an end.

To be sure, Berry is grateful for that, a fact that came across as he spoke optimistically about his goals for the next several months, despite the uncertainty of his contract situation.

“I definitely want to get a ring, and I definitely want to be a Chief,” Berry said. “Hopefully, we can make that happen.”

And to be clear, Berry hasn’t lost faith, regardless of his surprise at the lack of recent progress.

“You know miracles happen — I’m a witness,” Berry said with a smile. “So it might go down to the wire, you know ... and hopefully they handle their end, and hopefully it comes together like it’s supposed to.”

In58men
07-09-2016, 09:23 AM
We should all panic.

SAUTO
07-09-2016, 09:25 AM
IT'S OVER!

SAUTO
07-09-2016, 09:26 AM
TO THE SINKING SHIP!

Mr. Laz
07-09-2016, 09:58 AM
All depends on Berry's development at at the free/deep/coverage safety position. I doubt the Chiefs want to spend 10+ million for a box safety. I imagine Sutton wants a guy that can protect both sidelines deep so that he can blitz more. If Berry can do that then he will get his money. If not then they probably let him walk.

Let they crying begin.

ChiTown
07-09-2016, 10:01 AM
http://www.kansascity.com/sports/nfl/kansas-city-chiefs/article88612427.html

Against the backdrop of approximately 352 kids laughing, jumping and playing on a humid summer night, Chiefs safety Eric Berry wore a smile on his face as he stood on the turf at North Kansas City High School and explained what he knew about his current contract status.

And Berry — who has until July 15 to get an extension done with the Chiefs, lest he play the 2016 under the one-year franchise tag — took a break from his sixth annual free youth football camp on Friday and made a few things clear.

One, he absolutely still wants to be a Chief for the long term.

And, two, yes, he is a bit surprised it’s taken so long for a new deal to get done.

“I thought it would progress a little bit more,” Berry said. “But it’s still been pretty much the same since the last time we talked. A lot can change in a week. A lot can change for whenever the deadline is.”

Berry’s surprise makes sense. Chiefs chairman Clark Hunt said at the NFL’s annual meeting in March that he’s hopeful to get a long-term deal done with Berry, and that he’s “certainly” somebody that they “would like to be a Chief for a very, very long time.”

Hunt added that he got a sense that Berry shared the sentiment to stay, a notion the 27-year old Berry — who has spent the last seven years with the Chiefs — also said in March and repeated Friday.

“Obviously I’d love to be a Chief — I want to be a Chief long term, just because of the community, the staff, from top to bottom, the players and everything,” Berry said. “But sometimes things don’t go as planned, and I’m prepared for that, but hopefully it goes as planned, and I’m prepared for that, as well.”

If the Chiefs can’t reach a new deal with Berry before the July 15 deadline, Berry would have to play the 2016 season under the $10.8 million franchise tender. However, he could also hold off on signing the tender, which would allow him to skip training camp and the preseason and return shortly before the regular season and still collect his full $10.8 million salary.

Still, an extension is sensible for both sides. Although the franchise tender is good money (and guaranteed, too) Berry stands to collect far more guaranteed money with a new deal, as he has the same number of all-pro selections (two) and three more Pro Bowl selections (four) than the league’s highest-paid safety, Harrison Smith, who recently signed a five-year, $51.25 million pact with the Vikings that includes nearly $29 million guaranteed.

What’s more, assuming Berry agreed to a richer deal than Smith’s, the cash-strapped Chiefs — who have a league-low $226,818 in cap space. according to the NFL Players Association — would still stand to create a minimum of $3 million or so in cap room this year with an extension. Iit’s worth noting the team already has a significant amount of money committed to 2017 — upwards of $166 million, which already surpasses the 2016 cap number of $155 million.

The Chiefs also have the option of rescinding the tender on Berry, which would create $10.8 million in cap room. However, that would make one of their most popular — and more important — players an unrestricted free agent, which hardly seems like a reasonable option for a team with Super Bowl aspirations.

“It’s a completely different atmosphere (without him),” said center Mitch Morse, who helped out at Berry’s camp on Friday. “I’ve only met a few people who, when they walk into a room full of people, that you feel their presence and people immediately shut up. He’s such a profound speaker, and he has profound things to say, and you inherently want to listen and gain knowledge. You respect the hell out of him.”

Berry, who fast-tracked his way back from a December 2014 diagnosis of Hodgkin lymphoma to return in time for the start of training camp last July, served as the emotional leader of the 2015 Chiefs, which rallied from a 1-5 start to win 11 straight games, including their first playoff win in 22 years.

He did it on the field too, as he looked quicker and faster than in previous seasons — he was back to playing at his college weight of 210 pounds — on the way to racking up 61 tackles, 10 pass deflections and two interceptions and make the Pro Bowl, be named an all-pro and win the NFL’s comeback player of the year award.

“He’s one of the main focal points of this team,” said Morse, whose comments have been parroted by several teammates, including quarterback Alex Smith. “He means a lot to Chiefs Kingdom, and he sure as hell means a lot to us, as players. We’re incomplete without him and we love the energy and passion he brings.”

Still, business is business, and Berry understands that. One of his closest friends on the team is outside linebacker Justin Houston, who was franchise-tagged in March 2015 after a 22-sack season and had to wait out the next several months as his agent, Joel Segal, and the Chiefs hammered out a six-year, $101 million extension right before the July 15 deadline.

“It’s crazy because I was talking to him when he was going through the exact same thing — it’s like roles have switched just a year later,” Berry said. “He just keeps telling me to be patient and control what I can control. So I gave him that advice, and he’s given me the same advice. That’s all I can do.”

So Berry, who has always believed in letting his work speak for himself, has spent the last several months training in Florida, getting ready for the season.

He looked trim and happy as he worked with the kids on Friday — the turnout was the best his camp in Kansas City has ever had, by the way — his trademark brown, red-tinged hair and goatee fluffy and full, a stark contrast to the way he looked last summer, even after his chemo treatments had long come to an end.

To be sure, Berry is grateful for that, a fact that came across as he spoke optimistically about his goals for the next several months, despite the uncertainty of his contract situation.

“I definitely want to get a ring, and I definitely want to be a Chief,” Berry said. “Hopefully, we can make that happen.”

And to be clear, Berry hasn’t lost faith, regardless of his surprise at the lack of recent progress.

“You know miracles happen — I’m a witness,” Berry said with a smile. “So it might go down to the wire, you know ... and hopefully they handle their end, and hopefully it comes together like it’s supposed to.”

Go fist your Sister, cock smoker

Red Dawg
07-09-2016, 10:18 AM
The next two years we need him more than ever so Dorsey had better remember that. If he wants more than 10 then we are screwed. No way should we go that high.

Deberg_1990
07-09-2016, 10:20 AM
I'm a bit surprised that Berry is "a bit surprised"

RunKC
07-09-2016, 10:45 AM
Knowmo is reaching for anything he can possibly find to make himself feel better about the disaster that's taking place in Denver with Miller

Quesadilla Joe
07-09-2016, 10:52 AM
Knowmo is reaching for anything he can possibly find to make himself feel better about the disaster that's taking place in Denver with Miller

Things are going well with Von.

<blockquote class="twitter-tweet" data-lang="en"><p lang="en" dir="ltr"><a href="https://twitter.com/hashtag/Broncos?src=hash">#Broncos</a> left contract talks with Von last night in good place. Made several moves in attempt to reach deal. Definite progress.</p>&mdash; Troy Renck (@TroyRenck) <a href="https://twitter.com/TroyRenck/status/751781108170186752">July 9, 2016</a></blockquote>
<script async src="//platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

RealSNR
07-09-2016, 10:56 AM

<blockquote class="twitter-tweet" data-lang="en"><p lang="en" dir="ltr"><a href="https://twitter.com/hashtag/Broncos?src=hash">#Broncos</a> left contract talks with Von last night in good place. Made several moves in attempt to reach deal. Definite progress.</p>&mdash; Troy Renck (@TroyRenck) <a href="https://twitter.com/TroyRenck/status/751781108170186752">July 9, 2016</a></blockquote>

Things could be going just as well with Berry, and we just don't know about it.

Dorsey is a guy who pulled the pants down on NFL free agent coverage when out of nowhere it was revealed that Mitchell Schwartz signed a contract with us. He did the same thing with the Justin Houston extension, even though many people were watching that one closely.

He pulls rabbits out of the hat when people least expect it.

Your GM, meanwhile, doesn't know how to use the fucking fax machine and as a result, misses important deadlines.

stevieray
07-09-2016, 10:59 AM

Nobody cares, juvenile.

Quesadilla Joe
07-09-2016, 11:07 AM

Dorsey is a guy who pulled the pants down on NFL free agent coverage when out of nowhere it was revealed that Mitchell Schwartz signed a contract with us. He did the same thing with the Justin Houston extension, even though many people were watching that one closely.

Your GM, meanwhile, doesn't know how to use the ****ing fax machine and as a result, misses important deadlines.

Dorsey does seem to keep things quieter than Elway does. This is the first time I've heard anything come out about the Berry negotiations and obviously things aren't going as well as Berry would like.

Chiefshrink
07-09-2016, 11:16 AM
Shot across the bow from Berry's camp. He and Von are probably talking.:rolleyes:

ThaVirus
07-09-2016, 11:23 AM
All depends on Berry's development at at the free/deep/coverage safety position. I doubt the Chiefs want to spend 10+ million for a box safety. I imagine Sutton wants a guy that can protect both sidelines deep so that he can blitz more. If Berry can do that then he will get his money. If not then they probably let him walk.

Let they crying begin.

He made the All-Pro team in his first season at FS

Chiefshrink
07-09-2016, 11:30 AM

No they are not. This is just PR attempt by Elway to quiet the donkey masses, yes Elway made some movement in the contract but I assure you the total guaranteed $$ "still" isn't up to Von's liking. Friday next week is the deadline and it takes time to get trades done with other teams. Don't be surprised if Elway trades your boy for a couple of 1st rdrs or Von sitting out this next year which actually works in his favor for future dealings with other teams.

There is an unwritten rule by all good GMS that the only position that deserves Big guaranteed $$ is the QB, PERIOD. Look at the past 10-15 yrs of these big time defensive players getting big guaranteed $$. How many of them have produced to that level of $$??? They haven't or they get hurt. Dorsey is learning this lesson now with Houston. We don't know if he will come back as good. As much as I don't care for Elway personally, he is doing the right thing for your organization taking a page out Bellichek's book as all good GM's are starting to do now in reference to contract negotiations.

loochy
07-09-2016, 01:00 PM
We should all panic.

OMG INMEN SIGHTING
also, knowmo sucks

Rausch
07-09-2016, 01:08 PM
I'd find the $$$ of the top S in the league and offer him $2 million less...

RealSNR
07-09-2016, 01:13 PM

He's going to be the top paid safety in the league. If the Chiefs aren't the ones to give him the money, then another team will.

The only way I see him not getting that money is if he signs the one-year tender, and something goes horrifically wrong injury-wise this season.

Rausch
07-09-2016, 01:14 PM
He's going to be the top paid safety in the league. .

I hate to say it, I FUCKING HATE TO SAY IT, but we make that two pick trade...

RealSNR
07-09-2016, 01:19 PM
I hate to say it, I FUCKING HATE TO SAY IT, but we make that two pick trade...

Which one? If you're talking about a 1st and a 3rd for an exclusive rights tag, I have yet to see one of those happen.

The haul we got for Jared Allen still makes my jaw drop to this very day, considering his longterm money wasn't even close to being worked out AND the Vikings had to give up all that draft stock. Those mega deals for non-QBs are a thing of the past, I'd say.

Quesadilla Joe
07-09-2016, 01:20 PM

If Berry signed his franchise tag he would be the highest paid safety in the league.

Rausch
07-09-2016, 01:27 PM
The haul we got for Jared Allen still makes my jaw drop to this very day, considering his longterm money wasn't even close to being worked out AND the Vikings had to give up all that draft stock. Those mega deals for non-QBs are a thing of the past, I'd say.

I love Berry, I LOVE BERRY, but I'd consider trading him for a high rake.

I still think he's best suited at FS myself.

Put Parker at SS and make that practice squad bitch man up...

Rausch
07-09-2016, 01:29 PM
If Berry signed his franchise tag he would be the highest paid safety in the league.

Clearly the idea would be to resign him and extend that...

O.city
07-09-2016, 02:21 PM
Berry played free safety last year

milkman
07-09-2016, 02:39 PM
I love Berry, I LOVE BERRY, but I'd consider trading him for a high rake.

I still think he's best suited at FS myself.

Put Parker at SS and make that practice squad bitch man up...

You should watch soccer.

Chiefshrink
07-09-2016, 02:56 PM
He's going to be the top paid safety in the league. If the Chiefs aren't the ones to give him the money, then another team will.

I hate to say it, I ****ING HATE TO SAY IT, but we make that two pick trade...

Berry is good but he ain't Ed Reed which is what a lot of us thought we were getting in Berry. If and that is a big IF the right deal comes along you make that deal and only if you think your team can get along without Berry's leadership in the locker room on and off the field which is his biggest asset IMHO. That is a question none of us really know and Dorsey may not even really know that one either.

Hog's Gone Fishin
07-09-2016, 03:01 PM

Your GM, meanwhile, doesn't know how to use the ****ing fax machine and as a result, misses important deadlines.
ROFLROFLROFLROFLROFL

milkman
07-09-2016, 03:02 PM
Berry is good but he ain't Ed Reed which is what a lot of us thought we were getting in Berry. If and that is a big IF the right deal comes along you make that deal and only if you think your team can get along without Berry's leadership in the locker room on and off the field which is his biggest asset IMHO. That is a question none of us really know and Dorsey may not even really know that one either.

You are a dumbass.

Sweet Daddy Hate
07-09-2016, 03:02 PM
Trollin':

KnowMo is Aces High.

<iframe width="420" height="315" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/Xg9aQvjMS60" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Also, WELCOME BACK INMEM!

What a quality day for CP this is~!

Hog's Gone Fishin
07-09-2016, 03:06 PM
In all honesty I think Berry is replaceable. I mean, I really do like him, he's a thumper but he doesn't have elite range, elite cover skills and has never been an INT machine. A great safety should have all that.

notorious
07-09-2016, 03:31 PM
I'm not losing any sleep.

If he wants to stay, good, if not then I will forget him.

This franchise stood behind him and paid a shitload while he was on the shelf. That has to count for something, so I don't think he's going anywhere.

DaneMcCloud
07-09-2016, 03:33 PM
In all honesty I think Berry is replaceable. I mean, I really do like him, he's a thumper but he doesn't have elite range, elite cover skills and has never been an INT machine. A great safety should have all that.

I'm with you. $11 million dollars for a safety that rarely intercepts the ball or makes game changing plays is a waste of cap space.

I know it would be extremely unpopular with the fans but I'd let him play out the Franchise Tag and draft his replacement in 2017.

DaneMcCloud
07-09-2016, 03:33 PM

This franchise stood behind him and paid a shitload while he was on the shelf. That has to count for something, so I don't think he's going anywhere.

He will not take a "hometown discount".

If they sign him long term, he'll be the highest paid safety in the league.

notorious
07-09-2016, 03:38 PM
He will not take a "hometown discount".

If they sign him long term, he'll be the highest paid safety in the league.

That's not what I was getting at.

The Chiefs paid him when he was on the shelf, which shows they want him and he has value to them. They would have cut him if not, and everyone would have understood.

They will pay Berry, and he is going to be a Chief for the next few years.

DaneMcCloud
07-09-2016, 03:43 PM

The Chiefs paid him when he was on the shelf, which shows they want him and he has value to them. They would have cut him if not, and everyone would have understood.

I couldn't care less either way but I sure as hell hope that signing Berry won't preclude them from extending Fisher or Poe.

notorious
07-09-2016, 03:46 PM
You don't want the Chiefs to extend Fisher or Poe?

DaneMcCloud
07-09-2016, 03:56 PM
You don't want the Chiefs to extend Fisher or Poe?

I want them to extend Fisher and Poe, so I hope that a mega-contract for Eric Berry still allows them to do so.

Easy 6
07-09-2016, 03:58 PM
I couldnt be less worried, yawn

Berry wants to be here

Dorsey and co. want him here

Its a process...

notorious
07-09-2016, 04:22 PM
I want them to extend Fisher and Poe, so I hope that a mega-contract for Eric Berry still allows them to do so.

Oh, I read your post incorrectly. Instead of "Won't" I saw "Will".

Sorry.

Meatloaf
07-09-2016, 04:39 PM
I couldn't care less either way but I sure as hell hope that signing Berry won't preclude them from extending Fisher or Poe.

I'm definitely with you on Fisher, but a bit less so on Poe (simply due to health concerns), but I'd agree that both are more crucial than Berry. Damn, I think I just agreed with Dane! :eek:

Chiefshrink
07-09-2016, 04:57 PM

You nailed it Hog !! And why we should offer "fair $".;)

Chief Roundup
07-09-2016, 04:57 PM
We all want to keep Berry, the question is what is the trade off or who is the most replaceable of the upcoming key FA on the team that includes Berry. I think we should be able to keep them all even though it is going to hard.

ThaVirus
07-09-2016, 05:03 PM
Berry is good but he ain't Ed Reed...

No shit. Ed Reed might be the best safety of all time.

Chiefshrink
07-09-2016, 05:03 PM

This franchise stood behind him and paid a shitload while he was on the shelf. That has to count for something,

I'm with you. $11 million dollars for a safety that rarely intercepts the ball or makes game changing plays is a waste of cap space.

I know it would be extremely unpopular with the fans but I'd let him play out the Franchise Tag and draft his replacement in 2017.

:thumb:

Chiefshrink
07-09-2016, 05:04 PM
No shit. Ed Reed might be the best safety of all time.

and that is exactly who we thought we were getting when he played like Ed Reed in college.

ThaVirus
07-09-2016, 05:06 PM
and that is exactly who we thought we were getting when he played like Ed Reed in college.

And?

Hog's Gone Fishin
07-09-2016, 05:10 PM
And?

and Ed Reed > Eric Berry

Chiefshrink
07-09-2016, 05:12 PM
and Ed Reed > Eric Berry

BINGO !!

ThaVirus
07-09-2016, 05:12 PM
and Ed Reed > Eric Berry

Ed Reed>every active safety in the league.

NO ONE GETS A CONTRACT!!

Hammock Parties
07-09-2016, 05:13 PM
The dude had cancer and has 3-4 years left in his prime. He's not getting a huge deal from this org.

ThaVirus
07-09-2016, 05:14 PM
The dude had cancer and has 3-4 years left in his prime. He's not getting a huge deal from this org.

Just enough time for us to build an empire, win a couple Super Bowls, and, if there is a God, for you to kill yourself.

Red Dawg
07-09-2016, 05:25 PM

Chiefs were stuck in a bad spot when he got cancer. Paying him was really the only option that wouldn't be a pr nightmare.

SAUTO
07-09-2016, 05:27 PM
Just enough time for us to build an empire, win a couple Super Bowls, and, if there is a God, for you to kill yourself.

ROFL, GREAT post

Mr. Laz
07-09-2016, 05:45 PM
Who would you rather keep Poe or Berry?

LoneWolf
07-09-2016, 05:46 PM

Berry was young when he came into the league. He has more than 3-4 prime years left.

He will be the highest paid safety in the league by this time next week and you will still be a clueless douchebag.

LoneWolf
07-09-2016, 05:47 PM

Both.

Hammock Parties
07-09-2016, 05:54 PM
He will be the highest paid safety in the league by this time next week

He won't even be paid top 10 money.

LoneWolf
07-09-2016, 05:58 PM
He won't even be paid top 10 money.

ROFL. How about you crawl back into the hole you were hiding in when his new contract is announced. You're a fucking joke.

DaneMcCloud
07-09-2016, 05:59 PM

Poe but he won't get nearly the money that people on CP believe he'll receive.

According to SI and many other writers, Poe isn't even a Top 10 defensive lineman.

Hammock Parties
07-09-2016, 06:03 PM
ROFL. How about you crawl back into the hole you were hiding in when his new contract is announced. You're a fucking joke.

apologies, just an opinion.

Meatloaf
07-09-2016, 06:07 PM
I believe that the Chiefs and Berry will get a deal done as I think the organization likely views him as a cornerstone guy. I think that's what happened in the Alex Gordon extension too -- an organizational guy with very good skills. How does everyone feel about the Gordon deal now?

Obviously, these are not exactly similar situations, but perhaps close enough to make a point that maybe not all guys with very good skills should be extended at a high price.

Also, when we drafted Eric Murray, I wondered then if that signing was maybe a little hedge against losing Berry (for whatever reason). I know Murray is a CB, but he's a very good tackler and I saw a couple of draft analyses that said he'd likely be considered at safety too. Combine this with moving Fleming and Cooper to safety as well as the signing of Stevie Brown and well, maybe the Chiefs are covering themselves should the discussions with Berry go sour?

Hey, like I said, I think they're gonna get a deal done, but thought I'd just toss these thoughts out there to be digested......and likely disgorged by the most excellent CP populace.

Chief Northman
07-09-2016, 06:14 PM
Since when was Inmem reinstated?
Bummer.

Hog's Gone Fishin
07-09-2016, 06:26 PM
I believe that the Chiefs and Berry will get a deal done as I think the organization likely views him as a cornerstone guy. I think that's what happened in the Alex Gordon extension too -- an organizational guy with very good skills. How does everyone feel about the Gordon deal now?

Obviously, these are not exactly similar situations, but perhaps close enough to make a point that maybe not all guys with very good skills should be extended at a high price.

Also, when we drafted Eric Murray, I wondered then if that signing was maybe a little hedge against losing Berry (for whatever reason). I know Murray is a CB, but he's a very good tackler and I saw a couple of draft analyses that said he'd likely be considered at safety too. Combine this with moving Fleming and Cooper to safety as well as the signing of Stevie Brown and well, maybe the Chiefs are covering themselves should the discussions with Berry go sour?

Hey, like I said, I think they're gonna get a deal done, but thought I'd just toss these thoughts out there to be digested......and likely disgorged by the most excellent CP populace.

:clap:

Hammock Parties
07-09-2016, 06:28 PM
I don't believe Berry is that much better than Ron Parker. If Ron Parker had been drafted in the first round instead he'd probably be getting tons of love right now.

Last 3 seasons:

Parker - 188 tackles, 27 PD, 6 INT, 3 FF, 7 sacks (2,623 snaps)
Berry - 172 tackles, 22 PD, 5 INT, 1 FF, 3.5 sacks (2,435 snaps)

I'm sure there's some other mystical, intangible quality Eric Berry possesses though.

Flame away.

Meatloaf
07-09-2016, 07:03 PM
I don't believe Berry is that much better than Ron Parker. If Ron Parker had been drafted in the first round instead he'd probably be getting tons of love right now.

Last 3 seasons:

I'm sure there's some other mystical, intangible quality Eric Berry possesses though.

Flame away.

I can't flame on this as I think they're both good players. In my mind, Berry's intangibles certainly aren't worth making him the highest paid safety for the next 4-5 years. I'd rather spend the money on another top notch WR like Maclin and let someone else man Berry's safety position.

Hog's Gone Fishin
07-09-2016, 07:08 PM

Last 3 seasons:

Flame away.

Bingo / Thread

BleedingRed
07-09-2016, 07:13 PM

Last 3 seasons:

Flame away.
I know they are different positions but, these numbers really put into perspective how good Peters was last year

OldSchool
07-09-2016, 07:14 PM

Last 3 seasons:

Flame away.

I would agree there.

You're looking at upwards of $55 mil for 5-6 years right now as I'm sure that he and his reps are pushing for him to get paid more than Harrison Smith did. That's a ridiculous number for a safety who isn't a shutdown cover guy or an elite Ballhawk/centerfielder.

They would probably rather save that money to spend on Poe or something.

Hog's Gone Fishin
07-09-2016, 07:16 PM
I'd give him $4 mill like Parker . Other than that he can take his ass and go play for Cleveland.

Hog's Gone Fishin
07-09-2016, 07:24 PM
Eric Berry tied for 52nd best in tackles last year for safeties / LBers. Yeah. Give him $10 mil . If Dorsey does this I will suck my own dick.

Oh , and 11 Int's in 5 years

https://www.teamrankings.com/nfl/player-stat/defense-solo-tackles

bsp4444
07-09-2016, 07:35 PM
Berry let Gronk score twice in the playoff loss.

Hammock Parties
07-09-2016, 07:37 PM
I would agree there.

You're looking at upwards of $55 mil for 5-6 years right now as I'm sure that he and his reps are pushing for him to get paid more than Harrison Smith did. That's a ridiculous number for a safety who isn't a shutdown cover guy or an elite Ballhawk/centerfielder.

They would probably rather save that money to spend on Poe or something.

Again, not saying Berry is a bad football player, or even the same as Parker. He's a bit better, just not enough of a gap between them to give him elite money.

He's worth, at most, $7M a year with a smaller bonus for sure.

If he wants more money he should have incentives put into his contract.

staylor26
07-09-2016, 07:55 PM
I'd rather not overpay also, but why the **** are some of you talking about Berry like he didn't just play at an All-Pro level at a new (and ideal) position less than a year after battling cancer?

:facepalm:

Hammock Parties
07-09-2016, 08:00 PM
I'd rather not overpay also, but why the **** are some of you talking about Berry like he didn't just play at an All-Pro level at a new (and ideal) position less than a year after battling cancer?

Questionable as to whether he truly played at that level.

DaneMcCloud
07-09-2016, 08:02 PM
I know they are different positions but, these numbers really put into perspective how good Peters was last year

Your stupid ass will be banned again soon, houstonwhodat.

Hog's Gone Fishin
07-09-2016, 08:03 PM

IMO he didn't play at an all Pro level. But his popularity and cancer comeback won him a probowl anyway. Don't get me wrong, he's good, he's above average but to be the highest paid safety in the league is not validated.

DaneMcCloud
07-09-2016, 08:05 PM

He did not play at an All Pro level.

3.5 tackles a game and 2 Int's in 16 games aren't stellar numbers.

It was an honorary nod due to the cancer.

Chief Northman
07-09-2016, 08:14 PM
If Berry does indeed get paid as the top safety in the league it will be more for what he represents for the Chiefs brand and marketing than for what he brings on the field. Solid contributor, but not meriting of the biggest contract for his position. Love his run support, ability to blitz when rarely called upon, and short to mid-depth coverage. But a middle field roamer who provides help over the top he is not.
If he and his agent ask for the moon, Dorsey would be wise to let him play out under the tag. Invest in Poe and Fisher instead. This draft with the plethora of dbs selected was designed to fill some holes and bring some young athletic depth to the backend. Will not be shocked to see Murray, Nelson, White, Peters and Russell become the future top dogs in the Chiefs secondary.

staylor26
07-09-2016, 08:19 PM

I couldn't care less about the stats. I watch a ton of NFL football and Berry was playing like a top 3 safety last year once he got going. We're consistently one of, if not the best, teams in the league at defending TE's year in and year out because of Berry.

I don't think he's the best safety in the NFL, but he's clearly top 3-5 going into 2016. I don't think he's getting enough credit.

Chief Roundup
07-09-2016, 08:32 PM

Last 3 seasons:

Flame away.

Go away Clay. They should not have let you back in here.

RunKC
07-09-2016, 08:58 PM
Of course Berry didn't have as many INT's. He played almost exclusively as box safety last year and even the year before while Parker was the single high far more.
And even Branch was playing some cover safety as well.

It doesn't matter bc the Chiefs have no choice but to pay him, unless Dorsey wants a bad stigma to his name like John Elway currently has.

O.city
07-09-2016, 09:14 PM
Berry didn't play as a box safety last year.

RunKC
07-09-2016, 09:26 PM
Berry didn't play as a box safety last year.

Yes he did. Go watch the game at Oakland last year and you will see..

Hog's Gone Fishin
07-09-2016, 09:29 PM
Of course Berry didn't have as many INT's. He played almost exclusively as box safety last year and even the year before while Parker was the single high far more.
And even Branch was playing some cover safety as well.

It doesn't matter bc the Chiefs have no choice but to pay him, unless Dorsey wants a bad stigma to his name like John Elway currently has.

doesn't matter, you should still have the ability and skills to jump a pass. There are more passes thrown to slot receivers than WO's anyway.

O.city
07-09-2016, 09:47 PM
Yes he did. Go watch the game at Oakland last year and you will see..

Soo he was primarily a string safety last year, or are you basing this on 1 game?

Mr. Laz
07-09-2016, 10:03 PM
doesn't matter, you should still have the ability and skills to jump a pass. There are more passes thrown to slot receivers than WO's anyway.
Yea, but that's not really the point.

Berry was pretty decent in coverage IN THE BOX but what we really need is a guy that makes QB's afraid to throw deep unless they move him first. That changes their offense significantly.

Once again, everyone wants to keep Berry.

I would LOVE to pay Berry as salary that let's us keep him in the box where he thrives. Eric is a great run stuffer and a good box coverage guy. DJ and Berry down low makes our front 7 much improved. Berry and DJ together would make all those dink and dunk passes much harder to complete. It's where Berry belongs at this point.

Berry just seems to want elite Free safety money and that's an entirely different situation. Paying him that much wouldn't make it very difficult to keep Poe imo.

BryanBusby
07-10-2016, 02:52 AM
I'm definitely with you on Fisher, but a bit less so on Poe (simply due to health concerns), but I'd agree that both are more crucial than Berry. Damn, I think I just agreed with Dane! :eek:
How many games has Poe missed due to injury compared to Fisher? Don't know where the fuck you're going here.

Are we still pretending Poe has back aids when he was just fine by the point where therr was an actual proper amount of time to heal? Not early last season when they were so fucked they rushed him back too fast.

BlackOp
07-10-2016, 03:11 AM

Last 3 seasons:

Flame away.
I've been saying he's the most over-rated Chief for a while...in all actuality, he's the only one I can think of. He's fleeced KC for 5 years and only played for 3 1/2. When he was drafted ..he was the highest payed safety in history without playing a down.

When he left with cancer, KC actually improved on defense. Unless he has some intangible, kinetic locker-room Yoda energy that cant be quantified...I would hold out, let him play on the tag and see where he is with his recovery.

IMO ..he owes KC. They did him a solid in 2014...and have made him a very rich man. I can think of a lot of other "impact" places to spend $50 million...

Hog's Gone Fishin
07-10-2016, 04:38 AM
Yea, but that's not really the point.

Berry was pretty decent in coverage IN THE BOX but what we really need is a guy that makes QB's afraid to throw deep unless they move him first. That changes their offense significantly.

Once again, everyone wants to keep Berry.

I would LOVE to pay Berry as salary that let's us keep him in the box where he thrives. Eric is a great run stuffer and a good box coverage guy. DJ and Berry down low makes our front 7 much improved. Berry and DJ together would make all those dink and dunk passes much harder to complete. It's where Berry belongs at this point.

Berry just seems to want elite Free safety money and that's an entirely different situation. Paying him that much wouldn't make it very difficult to keep Poe imo.

Maybe Berry would be an elite ILB opposite DJ.

BleedingRed
07-10-2016, 07:26 AM
Your stupid ass will be banned again soon, houstonwhodat.

Dude, stop being such a cuckold. I understand you're a upset liberal moron but, don't take it out on me that you wife likes other "meat"

BleedingRed
07-10-2016, 07:28 AM

Lmao you are a fucking idiot

kcchiefsus
07-10-2016, 07:36 AM
Dude, stop being such a cuckold. I understand you're a upset liberal moron but, don't take it out on me that you wife likes other "meat"

ROFL

TRR
07-10-2016, 09:02 AM
I think we all appreciate Berry and what he brings to the Defense. What he brings is simply different than what most of us expected of him when he was drafted...a playmaker with elite ball skills, with the ability to run with slot receivers and man up on tight ends. Instead KC got an in the box safety that is consistent in the intermediate passing game.

Berry brings an intensity that is hard to match, and you know he's a great leader on and off the field. You even saw moments of what he showed in college last season playing at a lighter weight. But I don't believe he's worth ELITE money.

DaneMcCloud
07-10-2016, 09:16 AM

DaneMcCloud
07-10-2016, 09:18 AM
Lmao you are a fucking idiot

Your football IQ is -160.

While that's higher than your overall IQ, you're fucking cluesless and constantly fail to counter with a argument.

In other words, you're an assclown.

RealSNR
07-10-2016, 09:46 AM
What's with this cuckold shit? BleedingRed is like a giddy 13-year old who just learned a new "adult" word, even though he doesn't know what it means

ThaVirus
07-10-2016, 09:48 AM
We've lined this guy up at SS, FS, CB, and LB- he's played well at each and every position- and somehow he just isn't good enough. Receives first-team All-Pro honors at SS and FS- he's no Ed Reed! For God's sake, one poster was talking about lining him up at LOLB to replace Houston down the stretch!

The concerns about a lack of INTs are overblown. Taking a look at the careers of each of the top safeties in the league today, none of them fare particularly well against Berry in that regard. Throwing out any season in which the player didn't play at least 10 games in a season, Earl Thomas averages 3.5 INTs a season. Kam Chancellor averages 1.7 INTs per season. Harrison Smith averages 3.3 INTs per season. Reshad Jones averages 2.5 INTs per season. Tyrann Mathieu and Devin Mccourty (who both play a shit ton of CB and are really not a good comparison) average 2.7 and 3 INTs per season respectively.

Eric Berry averages 2.5 INTs per season. What's the difference?

Just say putting $10+m into a safety position isn't the best use of resources, because trying to argue against the guy's ability is just asinine.

RealSNR
07-10-2016, 09:51 AM
We've lined this guy up at SS, FS, CB, and LB- he's played well at each and every position- and somehow he just isn't good enough. Receives first-team All-Pro honors at SS and FS- he's no Ed Reed! For God's sake, one poster was talking about lining him up at LOLB to replace Houston down the stretch!

The concerns about a lack of INTs are overblown. Taking a look at the careers of each of the top safeties in the league today, none of them fair particularly well against Berry in that regard. Throwing out any season in which the player didn't play at least 10 games in a season, Earl Thomas averages 3.5 INTs a season. Kam Chancellor averages 1.7 INTs per season. Harrison Smith averages 3.3 INTs per season. Reshad Jones averages 2.5 INTs per season. Tyrann Mathieu and Devin Mccourty (who both play a shit ton of CB and are really not a good comparison average 2.7 and 3 INTs per season respectively.

Just say putting $10+m into a safety position isn't the best use of resources, because trying to argue against the guy's ability is just asinine.

Absolutely this.

Nobody said Rodney Hudson wasn't wanted on the team. It was when his potential new contract started approaching 8 figures that we said, "That's too much. Have a nice life."

Berry means so much to so many players on this team. All the trust and good mojo that Dorsey has built with the current players on the team and around the league would take a pretty big hit if we were to remove the tag. It might even take a small hit if we are only able to get him to sign the tender without a long-term deal.

staylor26
07-10-2016, 09:55 AM

The concerns about a lack of INTs are overblown. Taking a look at the careers of each of the top safeties in the league today, none of them fair particularly well against Berry in that regard. Throwing out any season in which the player didn't play at least 10 games in a season, Earl Thomas averages 3.5 INTs a season. Kam Chancellor averages 1.7 INTs per season. Harrison Smith averages 3.3 INTs per season. Reshad Jones averages 2.5 INTs per season. Tyrann Mathieu and Devin Mccourty (who both play a shit ton of CB and are really not a good comparison average 2.7 and 3 INTs per season respectively.

milkman
07-10-2016, 10:21 AM
In today's NFL, Ed Reed would not be Ed Reed.

That said, at some point, the price tag is just too expensive, and we are almost certainly at that point.

notorious
07-10-2016, 10:25 AM
It's going to be a great story when the Chiefs win the Superbowl and Berry is MVP.

ThaVirus
07-10-2016, 10:28 AM
It's going to be a great story when the Chiefs win the Superbowl and Berry is MVP.

Would create far more drama if it were Alex Smiff.

I think, if it were my choice, I'd like to see Jamaal win SB MVP with us and then retire and ride off into the sunset Jerome Bettis style (except for the fact that JC's actually amazing unlike Bettis).

ThaVirus
07-10-2016, 10:30 AM
In today's NFL, Ed Reed would not be Ed Reed.

That said, at some point, the price tag is just too expensive, and we are almost certainly at that point.

This is a good point. Safety play across the league seems to be down significantly over the last decade or so.

notorious
07-10-2016, 10:31 AM
Would create far more drama if it were Alex Smiff.

I think, if it were my choice, I'd like to see Jamaal win SB MVP with us and then retire and ride off into the sunset Jerome Bettis style (except for the fact that JC's actually amazing unlike Bettis).

It doesn't matter to me. If a Chief is MVP that means they won!

ThaVirus
07-10-2016, 10:33 AM
It doesn't matter to me. If a Chief is MVP that means they won!

No doubt about it. Dude, I'd probably cry.

notorious
07-10-2016, 10:33 AM
No doubt about it. Dude, I'd probably cry.

No "probably" here.

Quesadilla Joe
07-10-2016, 11:10 AM
Watching your team play in the Super Bowl is a miserable experience. If they win you're more relieved than happy and if they lose you're crushed. The playoff run is fun to watch but the actual Super Bowl is too nerve-wracking to enjoy.

staylor26
07-10-2016, 11:16 AM
Watching your team play in the Super Bowl is a miserable experience. If they win you're more relieved than happy and if they lose you're crushed. The playoff run is fun to watch but the actual Super Bowl is too nerve-wracking to enjoy.

I can only imagine. The two week wait must be grueling also.

Sweet Daddy Hate
07-10-2016, 11:18 AM
EB is a good player, a good human, and even better PR.

You really think he's going elsewhere?

I lol at you.

lolololololololol.

BlackOp
07-10-2016, 11:34 AM
EB is a good player, a good human, and even better PR.

I agree with this but is he worth being the highest paid as his position? If you are getting #1 money, you should be making game changing plays. I can only recall a handful of memorable plays in 5 years.

I would rather have a true 1b WR with that money...it would have more impact...or Poe...or even Mo Wilkerson (Poe goes) if he becomes available.

It depends on how much Dorsey values a consistent locker room and defensive leadership. They know his assignments and how well he executes them better than anyone here...

SAUTO
07-10-2016, 11:39 AM

Shut the fuck up

Sweet Daddy Hate
07-10-2016, 11:51 AM
I agree with this but is he worth being the highest paid as his position? If you are getting #1 money, you should be making game changing plays. I can only recall a handful of memorable plays in 5 years.

I would rather have a true 1b WR with that money...it would have more impact...or Poe...or even Mo Wilkerson (Poe goes) if he becomes available.

It depends on how much Dorsey values a consistent locker room and defensive leadership. They know his assignments and how well he executes them better than anyone here...

Was that one fucking turd behind center you overpaid for "worth it for his position"?

RealSNR
07-10-2016, 11:52 AM
Tyreek Hill could win Super Bowl MVP for the Chiefs and I'd still call him a piece of crap.

BlackOp
07-10-2016, 11:59 AM
Was that one ****ing turd behind center you overpaid for "worth it for his position"?

Are you talking about the QB that just reeled off 11 straight wins, won the first play-off game in 20 years and led the #1 scoring road team in the AFC?

Yes, he was worth it.

The Franchise
07-10-2016, 12:02 PM
Imagine that....BlackOp is a fucking moron about this topic as well.

Sweet Daddy Hate
07-10-2016, 12:03 PM
Are you talking about the QB that just reeled off 11 straight wins, won the first play-off game in 20 years and led the #1 scoring road team in the AFC?

Yes, he was worth it.

Good for you!

BlackOp
07-10-2016, 12:11 PM
Imagine that....BlackOp is a ****ing moron about this topic as well.

I'm imagining you saying something that requires independent thought...never mind.

Pasta Little Brioni
07-10-2016, 09:21 PM
Troll piece of shit thread starter

Pasta Little Brioni
07-10-2016, 09:23 PM

You won't have to worry about that anytime soon. That garbage roster won't be propped by bogus calls this year.

Chief Northman
07-10-2016, 10:30 PM
You won't have to worry about that anytime soon. That garbage roster won't be propped by bogus calls this year.

That and the dying owner got his tribute.
Not to be callous towards Mr. Bowlen, but FUCK the Donks.

Dave Lane
07-10-2016, 11:44 PM
You are a dumbass.

Q

OldSchool
07-10-2016, 11:48 PM
Was that one ****ing turd behind center you overpaid for "worth it for his position"?

Most definitely. When you look at what other starting QBs are being paid on the market, Smith is getting paid slightly below his market price.

I mean, look at the league. Someone named Brock Osweiler just landed a 4-year, $72 mil deal and, as of right now, he's a bottom 5 starting QB in the league at best.

Pasta Little Brioni
07-11-2016, 12:12 AM
Sweets is too invested to admit he was wrong. Some hust left the board rather than admit, so props to him for sticking through.

staylor26
07-11-2016, 12:21 AM

He's not even being paid like a top 15 QB, but he is, so yes he's worth it.

DaneMcCloud
07-11-2016, 12:23 AM
I remember that time when Berry made a play that launched the Chiefs into the playoffs.

The plays he made throughout that years were amazing, shutting down Murray and Anderson and making that game ending TD for an INT.

That time he went head-to-head with Beast Mode was fucking awesome, like Okoye vs. Atwater.

So awesome.

BleedingRed
07-11-2016, 07:41 AM
I remember that time when Berry made a play that launched the Chiefs into the playoffs.

The plays he made throughout that years were amazing, shutting down Murray and Anderson and making that game ending TD for an INT.

That time he went head-to-head with Beast Mode was ****ing awesome, like Okoye vs. Atwater.

So awesome.

My favorite is still the Phillip Rivers pick to end the half...... Something about making that man upset tickles me.

ThaVirus
07-11-2016, 08:04 AM

That time he went head-to-head with Beast Mode was fucking awesome, like Okoye vs. Atwater.

So awesome.

Sarcasm?

He actually did make a few sweet open field tackles on Marshawn when we played the Seahawks.

BleedingRed
07-11-2016, 08:09 AM
Sarcasm?

He actually did make a few sweet open field tackles on Marshawn when we played the Seahawks.

O I didn't pick up on that........ Thought he was being serious, because alot of those things did happen.

Halfcan
07-11-2016, 01:00 PM

Good thing you won't have to worry about that for the next decade or so. :)

Rausch
07-11-2016, 01:04 PM
My worst worry this year is I'll have to plop down the shred for a PS4 and this overpriced game because we'll be good...

WhiteWhale
07-11-2016, 01:22 PM
Your football IQ is -160.

While that's higher than your overall IQ, you're ****ing cluesless and constantly fail to counter with a argument.

In other words, you're an assclown.

Tell me again how Marcus Cooper is better than Brandon Flowers.

Do you track all of the stupid shit you say? Goddamn, you're responsible for the dumbest argument ever presented to me on this forum. Glass houses goldilocks.

O.city
07-11-2016, 01:23 PM
What are Berry's stats in playoff games?

I remember 1 int, 1 ff for sure in 4 games played. The ravens game as a rookie iirc was a good game too.

DaneMcCloud
07-11-2016, 01:27 PM
Tell me again how Marcus Cooper is better than Brandon Flowers.

Do you track all of the stupid shit you say? Goddamn, you're responsible for the dumbest argument ever presented to me on this forum. Glass houses goldilocks.

I don't remember an argument with you about Flowers. Actually, I don't even know who you are nor do I recall having any dialog with you.

That said, Brandon Flowers was done when he was by the Chiefs. Cooper was the Chiefs Rookie of the Year in 2013.

Both have pretty much been garbage since.

Thanks for stalking me.

staylor26
07-11-2016, 01:31 PM
What are Berry's stats in playoff games?

I remember 1 int, 1 ff for sure in 4 games played. The ravens game as a rookie iirc was a good game too.

His play at the goal line against Indy where he forced the fumble was badass, but of course Luck picked it up and took it in for 6, so it's forgettable.

Still a huge ****ing play though.

BleedingRed
07-11-2016, 01:32 PM
His play at the goal line against Indy where he forced the fumble was badass, but of course Luck picked it up and took it in for 6, so it's forgettable.

Still a huge ****ing play though.

Ahhh memories

Rausch
07-11-2016, 01:32 PM
He's earned it - he's back - he'll get it...

Psyko Tek
07-11-2016, 11:16 PM

Last 3 seasons:

Flame away.
RON PARKER NEVER BEAT CANCER

he should remain a chief just for that and his performance

Pasta Little Brioni
07-11-2016, 11:19 PM
Both are better than TJ Ward

Sweet Daddy Hate
07-12-2016, 05:25 AM
Sweets is too invested to admit he was wrong. Some hust left the board rather than admit, so props to him for sticking through.

KC can do better.

Pasta Little Brioni
07-12-2016, 07:29 AM
KC can do better.

Than Pickston Lynch (pasta officially trademark coined)??? Absolutely and they have.

Sweet Daddy Hate
07-12-2016, 05:43 PM
Than Pickston Lynch (pasta officially trademark coined)??? Absolutely and they have.

LMAO

Red Dawg
07-12-2016, 05:54 PM
THIS IS MADNESS! Is the deal getting done or not!

Pasta Little Brioni
07-12-2016, 07:17 PM
LMAO

It's right up there with Marky Baywatch in greatness

BossChief
07-12-2016, 08:21 PM
Berry will get his extension that makes him the highest paid safety in the NFL for a second time.

His first time was his rookie deal.

Also, TBH...If Dorsey can't get a sensible extension negotiated, he should trade Eric.

Chiefshrink
07-12-2016, 08:35 PM
Also, TBH...If Dorsey can't get a sensible extension negotiated, he should trade Eric.

BINGO !!!

TigeRRUppeRRcut
07-12-2016, 09:59 PM

Last 3 seasons:

Flame away.

I was saying this several months ago: that Ron Parker did a better job at his position than Berry did in 2015, thus paying Berry big money for that level of performance would be horrible value. We have plenty of leaders on offense and defense that Berry's departure would hurt but would definitely not cripple us. We have drafted most of our needs and have locked up most important positions going into the 2016 draft. We will also have comp picks. Dorsey it sitting very, very well.

raybec 4
07-12-2016, 10:01 PM
I was saying this several months ago: that Ron Parker did a better job at his position than Berry did in 2015, thus paying Berry big money for that level of performance would be horrible value. We have plenty of leaders on offense and defense that Berry's departure would hurt but would definitely not cripple us. We have drafted most of our needs and have locked up most important positions going into the 2016 draft. We will also have comp picks. Dorsey it sitting very, very well.

Do you really feel that tying yourself to Clay gives weight to your take?

ThaVirus
07-12-2016, 10:07 PM
I don't remember a single impact play Ron Parker made last season

BlackOp
07-12-2016, 10:15 PM
Do you really feel that tying yourself to Clay gives weight to your take?

Does associating his response with a disliked poster make the point less valid?

staylor26
07-12-2016, 10:17 PM

Just because you don't remember it doesn't mean it didn't happen.

He went from missing too many tackles in 2014 to making quite a few big ones in 2015, and his INT against the Raiders was a pretty big play, along with his INT against the Vikings even though we lost (both in the endzone). The guy had 5 sacks. That's fantastic for a safety.

Pay more attention next season, and watch the games on ****ing TV loser.

Pasta Little Brioni
07-12-2016, 10:20 PM
Parker was awesome last year. Such a strange post Virus

BleedingRed
07-12-2016, 10:20 PM

He went from missing too many tackles in 2014 to making quite a few big ones in 2015, and his INT against the Raiders was a pretty big play, along with his INT against the Vikings even though we lost (in the red zone). The guy had 5 sacks. That's fantastic for a safety.

Pay more attention next season, and watch the games on ****ing TV loser.

Whoa....... I still take coleman over parker, chiefs just have had a shit ton of good safteys as of late

DaneMcCloud
07-12-2016, 10:29 PM

Interruption on the old Intel 386?

BlackOp
07-12-2016, 10:29 PM
Whoa....... I still take coleman over parker, chiefs just have had a shit ton of good safteys as of late
:hmmm:..Coleman? Also...they lost two good ones this off-season. Are you sure you are watching the same team?

staylor26
07-12-2016, 10:33 PM
Here's plenty for you Virus

https://youtu.be/Aws5SNkcb0I

ThaVirus
07-12-2016, 10:37 PM

Yeah, no fucking shit, cocksucker.

I just think it's weird that these assholes would suggest Parker is better than Berry given the common sentiment that Berry doesn't make enough impact plays when Parker makes even less big plays.

BleedingRed
07-12-2016, 10:41 PM
:hmmm:..Coleman? Also...they lost two good ones this off-season. Are you sure you are watching the same team?

Nah, what im meant was Coleman turned into a stud on Panthers. We litterally resurrected Branchs career. And we still have Ron/berry.....

Some teams cant find one saftey, we have found 4-5 in recent memory if you add abdulla (spl?)

staylor26
07-12-2016, 10:41 PM
Yeah, no ****ing shit, one who sucks the penis.

I just think it's weird that these assholes would suggest Parker is better than Berry given the common sentiment that Berry doesn't make enough impact plays when Parker makes even less big plays.

I certainly don't think Parker is better than Berry, but he's definitely the better value.

staylor26
07-12-2016, 10:42 PM
Nah, what im meant was Coleman turned into a stud on Panthers. We litterally resurrected Branchs career. And we still have Ron/berry.....

Some teams cant find one saftey, we have found 4-5 in recent memory if you add abdulla (spl?)

Eric Murray will be the next!

BleedingRed
07-12-2016, 10:42 PM
I certainly don't think Parker is better than Berry, but he's definitely the better value.

I can jive with that line of thinking

BleedingRed
07-12-2016, 10:43 PM
Eric Murray will be the next!

Who ever is responsible for our safteys deserves a raise

The Franchise
07-12-2016, 10:46 PM
Fuck letting Berry go.

raybec 4
07-12-2016, 10:47 PM
Does associating his response with a disliked poster make the point less valid?

Yes

BleedingRed
07-12-2016, 10:48 PM
**** letting Berry go.

Its a bad idea for sure but, we can't be paying him 55+ either....

staylor26
07-12-2016, 10:48 PM
**** letting Berry go.

Unless he and/or his agent are just being completely unreasonable, you have to get a deal done.

ThaVirus
07-12-2016, 10:49 PM
Hah. Yawn. I like Parker but that was a weak highlight film, honestly.

I'd suspect a 2015 Josh Mauga highlight reel would be more entertaining.

DaneMcCloud
07-12-2016, 10:50 PM
Who ever is responsible for our safteys deserves a raise

Hint: It's a black guy.

DaneMcCloud
07-12-2016, 10:52 PM
Hah. Yawn. I like Parker but that was a weak highlight film, honestly.

I'd suspect a 2015 Josh Mauga highlight reel would be more entertaining.

ThaVirus highlights would be more interesting that Mauga's.

Well, maybe.

BlackOp
07-12-2016, 10:54 PM

Dorsey has proven to be a ****ing wizard when it comes to finding Safeties, RBs and DL....

I dont think anyone wants Berry to go...I dont. I just dont think he is as good as the PR hype machine tells us...nor do I think the position is worth 11-12 million a year. He's worth 8 million based on his play...

TribalElder
07-13-2016, 12:06 AM
Dorsey has proven to be a ****ing wizard when it comes to finding Safeties, RBs and DL....

I dont think anyone wants Berry to go...I dont. I just dont think he is as good as the PR hype machine tells us...nor do I think the position is worth 11-12 million a year. He's worth 8 million based on his play...

Berry rally's the troops come game time

It gets hyped the fuck up like Ray Lewis style

BlackOp
07-13-2016, 12:25 AM
Berry rally's the troops come game time

It gets hyped the **** up like Ray Lewis style

Yeah..that's worth something for sure... but shouldn't make him the highest paid at his position when he's not the best at it. Hopefully Berry is honest enough to know he doesn't deserve to be the top payed SS in the NFL...Dorsey knows his playing value...and his emotive value to the locker room. Lets hope his agent doesn't **** it up...

ThaVirus
07-13-2016, 09:29 AM
Yeah..that's worth something for sure... but shouldn't make him the highest paid at his position when he's not the best at it. Hopefully Berry is honest enough to know he doesn't deserve to be the top payed SS in the NFL...Dorsey knows his playing value...and his emotive value to the locker room. Lets hope his agent doesn't **** it up...

Out of curiosity, who is the best then?

Berry's like a mix of Earl Thomas and Kam Chancellor. He's certainly the most versatile safety in the league. He's probably the best open field tackler and box safety. He's high on the list in athleticism, INT return ability, and TE coverage. There really is no weakness in his game.

Mr. Laz
07-13-2016, 10:18 AM
Another reason to not overpay at those positions.

We can't go crazy and just think we can make do with anyone but making Berry the highest paid safety in NFL history is probably not a good idea.

Speaking of DL, i hope to hell that Britt 'nepotism' Reid doesn't fuck it up.

SAUTO
07-13-2016, 11:21 AM
I was saying this several months ago: that Ron Parker did a better job at his position than Berry did in 2015, thus paying Berry big money for that level of performance would be horrible value. We have plenty of leaders on offense and defense that Berry's departure would hurt but would definitely not cripple us. We have drafted most of our needs and have locked up most important positions going into the 2016 draft. We will also have comp picks. Dorsey it sitting very, very well. but you're a fucking idiot so who gives a fuck what you've said or think

staylor26
07-13-2016, 03:39 PM
Rand Getlin
19m19 minutes ago
Rand Getlin ‏@Rand_Getlin
Absent a significant shift in the next two days, I’m told the #Chiefs and Eric Berry are unlikely to come to terms on a long-term deal.

Meatloaf
07-13-2016, 03:51 PM
Interesting. It'd be foolish to break the bank for a safety.....even an All Pro safety. But, apparently Berry thinks he can get more elsewhere, so, play under the tag for a year, and then, go for it. I'd be good with that.

RunKC
07-13-2016, 03:53 PM
Jason La Canfora

At this point would take some major movement for the Chiefs and Eric Berry to strike a long term deal by the deadline Fri

The Franchise
07-13-2016, 03:55 PM
This is going to bite us in the ass.

Hammock Parties
07-13-2016, 03:56 PM
Berry will get his extension that makes him the highest paid safety in the NFL for a second time.

Rand Getlin ‏@Rand_Getlin
Absent a significant shift in the next two days, I’m told the #Chiefs and Eric Berry are unlikely to come to terms on a long-term deal.

lulz

BlackOp
07-13-2016, 04:21 PM
Jason La Canfora

At this point would take some major movement for the Chiefs and Eric Berry to strike a long term deal by the deadline Fri

If Dorsey thought he was worth it...this deal would have been done a while ago. He's a straight shooter...and has been right more than wrong. I wouldn't tie up a lot of guaranteed money on a player that just came off chemo...I would wait it out and make sure he is 100% healthy, long-term, first. It's a tough situation but KC has Poe's contract coming up...and he is more rare than a SS.

I think this is more about positional value and cap management than Berry as a person...if Berry is asking for a record deal after how KC supported him, that kind of sucks on his part. I dont think he holds out over it...

thabear04
07-13-2016, 04:32 PM
Time to work on Poe deal if we can't get Berry to a long term contract.

DaneMcCloud
07-13-2016, 04:39 PM
If Dorsey thought he was worth it...this deal would have been done a while ago.

And people on CP said the same thing about Houston last year at this time.

That said, I'm fine with him playing on the tag and drafting his replacement in 2017.

RunKC
07-13-2016, 04:43 PM
Rand Gettlin is also saying Von Miller is "seriously considering" sitting out and wouldn't be surprised if he did.

The media will say about anything to get attention.

I wouldn't worry about this unless it doesn't get done and it's past the deadline.

scho63
07-13-2016, 04:51 PM
I expect that this will be Berry's last year with KC working on a franchised contract.

Hog's Gone Fishin
07-13-2016, 04:54 PM
Berry is just as overrated right now as he was 2 weeks ago.

BlackOp
07-13-2016, 04:54 PM
And people on CP said the same thing about Houston last year at this time.

That said, I'm fine with him playing on the tag and drafting his replacement in 2017.

I didn't...Houston was coming off 22 sacks and a plays a key position to make Sutton's D function.

Berry is a very good player and person...but he did get torched by Gronk on what became the winning TD. If he wants to be the highest paid..he has to make that play at that time in the game. It's what superstars do..

S0USRASBHow

Hammock Parties
07-13-2016, 04:57 PM
I expect that this will be Berry's last year with KC working on a franchised contract.

Absolutely. Either he puts up an 80-tackle, 15 PD, 5 INT year or he's gone to someone else at an exorbitant rate.

Someone is going to overpay for Eric Berry but it won't be the Chiefs.

staylor26
07-13-2016, 04:59 PM
Absolutely. Either he puts up an 80-tackle, 15 PD, 5 INT year or he's gone to someone else at an exorbitant rate.

Someone is going to overpay for Eric Berry but it won't be the Chiefs.

We all know it will be Pioli.

IowaChiefs83
07-13-2016, 05:02 PM

Let they crying begin.

http://www.arrowheadpride.com/2015/11/21/9768138/eric-berry-2015-season-comeback?_ga=1.252784265.1247533689.1436923739

RunKC
07-13-2016, 05:13 PM

This is really hard to tell.

Dorsey has drafted said players replacement a year in advance. Seems like Poe would be more likely to leave per Dorsey's history here.

Red Dawg
07-13-2016, 05:17 PM
What holds up contract in the NFL is guranteed money. He must want like 50 mil. That is too much when we have Fish and Poe. We need them more I think especially Fish. We drafted to maybe replace Poe.

Easy 6
07-13-2016, 05:19 PM
Its an incredibly tough call, but I'm leaning towards Black Ops takes

Berry is an incredible person and story, but when all things are weighed out... is he really more important than Poe, is his position harder to fill?

I'm thinking no

That said, of course I want Eric back if there is any way possible... he brings an intangible heart and soul to the team. But as BO pointed out, its entirely reasonable for Dorsey to play out the string a little bit

Eric needs to understand the tenuous position he puts the organization in

Hammock Parties
07-13-2016, 05:21 PM
Dorsey has drafted said players replacement a year in advance. Seems like Poe would be more likely to leave per Dorsey's history here.

And we drafted safeties.

Red Dawg
07-13-2016, 05:22 PM
Berry also was drafted the final year of the rookie big money so he had a large pay day already. If he wants to much and we have let Poe the walk then forget him.

Hog's Gone Fishin
07-13-2016, 05:27 PM
We all know it will be the Raiders.

Fixed

Chiefshrink
07-13-2016, 06:14 PM
And we drafted safeties.

and potentially Poe's replacement.

Hammock Parties
07-13-2016, 06:27 PM
and potentially Poe's replacement.

no we didn't

KChiefs1
07-13-2016, 06:49 PM
Honored again tonight at the ESPY's.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Hammock Parties
07-13-2016, 06:50 PM
Raider colors

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/CnSVHPcUsAEjrNp.jpg

LOCOChief
07-13-2016, 07:01 PM
Beautiful. The mans a stud. Honor and Legacy.

cabletech94
07-13-2016, 07:02 PM
Raider colors

you go to hell, and you diiiiiiiiiiie!

Chief Northman
07-13-2016, 07:03 PM
Raider colors

Here you go again.....
You just cannot resist can you?

MotherfuckerJones
07-13-2016, 07:22 PM
Meh. I'll wait til the deadline before I get all up in arms about it. Last year people and media didn't know if Houston would get his deal done. I think it gets done last minute but maybe that's me being hopeful. I don't see Berry leaving KC.

RealSNR
07-13-2016, 07:25 PM
Raider colors

He can join their $10 million center.

Hope they enjoy it

staylor26
07-13-2016, 07:40 PM
Raider colors

Raiders now have to worry about locking up some of their guys in the future. They won't be as active in FA as they have been lately.

CleveSteve
07-13-2016, 07:59 PM
Beautiful. The mans a stud. Honor and Legacy.

+1

Quesadilla Joe
07-13-2016, 08:10 PM
<blockquote class="twitter-tweet" data-lang="en"><p lang="en" dir="ltr">Congrats to <a href="https://twitter.com/ESPYS">@ESPYS</a> winners <a href="https://twitter.com/Stuntman1429">@Stuntman1429</a> &amp; Peyton Manning!!! Received this photo at the start of the show!!! <a href="https://t.co/fvLaFgDVcL">pic.twitter.com/fvLaFgDVcL</a></p>&mdash; Butch Jones (@UTCoachJones) <a href="https://twitter.com/UTCoachJones/status/753410598210183169">July 14, 2016</a></blockquote>

Sully
07-13-2016, 08:29 PM
Healthy Poe.

CaliforniaChief
07-13-2016, 08:31 PM
<blockquote class="twitter-tweet" data-lang="en"><p lang="en" dir="ltr">Congrats to <a href="https://twitter.com/ESPYS">@ESPYS</a> winners <a href="https://twitter.com/Stuntman1429">@Stuntman1429</a> &amp; Peyton Manning!!! Received this photo at the start of the show!!! <a href="https://t.co/fvLaFgDVcL">pic.twitter.com/fvLaFgDVcL</a></p>&mdash; Butch Jones (@UTCoachJones) <a href="https://twitter.com/UTCoachJones/status/753410598210183169">July 14, 2016</a></blockquote>

Hey, a Chief finally touched that old horse.

thabear04
07-13-2016, 10:06 PM

Hey, a Chief finally touched that old horse.

thabear04
07-13-2016, 10:10 PM
He can join their $10 million center.

Hope they enjoy it

And their Left Guard.

BossChief
07-13-2016, 10:32 PM
https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.yahoo.com/amphtml/sports/news/eric-berry-chiefs-not-expected-021856277.html?client=safari#

Doesn't sound like Dorsey is letting emotions get the best of him in these negotiations, but I hope he makes the right decision.

I think Dorsey deserves the benefit of the doubt when it comes to safeties.

Otter
07-13-2016, 11:05 PM
https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.yahoo.com/amphtml/sports/news/eric-berry-chiefs-not-expected-021856277.html?client=safari#

Doesn't sound like Dorsey is letting emotions get the best of him in these negotiations, but I hope he makes the right decision.

I think Dorsey deserves the benefit of the doubt when it comes to safeties.

Berry and the Chiefs have said since the Tennessee product was tagged in March that they hoped a long-term deal would come to fruition — like the six-year, $101 million deal linebacker Justin Houston inked a year prior — but the sides haven't reached common ground financially.

Not happening. He'll get a 1 year franchise deal. I'm willing to bet on that one.

He can also negotiate with other teams. Should another club reach a deal before Friday's deadline, they would have to surrender two first-round picks to Kansas City.If this were to come about by some miracle take it and don't look back.

DaneMcCloud
07-13-2016, 11:22 PM
If this were to come about by some miracle take it and don't look back.

I'd take a 1 and a 3 and be absolutely thrilled

BlackOp
07-14-2016, 12:16 AM

No one is giving up that for a SS...which is why there is an impasse on his contract. It's just not that that valuable of a position...probably the least on the defensive side.

ThaVirus
07-14-2016, 05:03 AM
No one is giving up that for a SS...which is why there is an impasse on his contract. It's just not that that valuable of a position...probably the least on the defensive side.

He's playing FS now

WhawhaWhat
07-14-2016, 06:09 AM

He can also negotiate with other teams. Should another club reach a deal before Friday's deadline, they would have to surrender two first-round picks to Kansas City.

Has that ever happened? I can't recall a tagged player ever getting signed away and a team giving up 2 first round picks.

As long as Antonio Gates is still in the division, we know Berry is getting his lunch money taken in at least 2 games every year.

Red Dawg
07-14-2016, 06:59 AM
Joey Galloway was traded to Dallas for two firsts. That is the only time it's happened.

BossChief
07-14-2016, 07:10 AM

If a middle of the pack team wants him for a first, I'd do it if Dorsey doesn't think Eric is worth the money he's demanding.

BossChief
07-14-2016, 07:15 AM
For 12m per....well, bye.

https://www.google.com/amp/profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2016/07/14/chiefs-arent-willing-to-use-tag-as-starting-point-for-eric-berry-deal/amp/?client=safari#

Red Dawg
07-14-2016, 07:23 AM
He had a large rookie deal and now he's just a greedy asshole. He's not the best safety in football and shouldn't get the most money.

WhawhaWhat
07-14-2016, 07:26 AM
Joey Galloway was traded to Dallas for two firsts. That is the only time it's happened.

ROFL

Of course Jerry would do that. Btw, 2 firsts for 151 catches and 12 TDs in 4 years with Dallas.

Lzen
07-14-2016, 07:40 AM
For 12m per....well, bye.

https://www.google.com/amp/profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2016/07/14/chiefs-arent-willing-to-use-tag-as-starting-point-for-eric-berry-deal/amp/?client=safari#

WTF? Why would his tag salary go up by $2.1 mil if they chose to tag him again next year?

scho63
07-14-2016, 07:53 AM
I'm not so sure how sad I would be if we got two first round picks for Berry unless that team was a Super Bowl winner and our picks were at the bottom of the barrel.

Several times I was sad when we traded talent but it worked out well in many cases.

Tony G, Jared Allen, Brandon Albert.

Other times not so well like Neil Smith and Albert Lewis

SAUTO
07-14-2016, 07:54 AM
WTF? Why would his tag salary go up by $2.1 mil if they chose to tag him again next year?

It's progressive

BleedingRed
07-14-2016, 07:56 AM
It's progressive

https://media.giphy.com/media/10hexADl3Kl6SY/giphy.gif

SAUTO
07-14-2016, 07:57 AM
I'm not so sure how sad I would be if we got two first round picks for Berry unless that team was a Super Bowl winner and our picks were at the bottom of the barrel.

Several times I was sad when we traded talent but it worked out well in many cases.

We traded Smith to the Broncos and Lewis to the raiders?

Are you sure about that?

ThaVirus
07-14-2016, 08:10 AM
As long as Antonio Gates is still in the division, we know Berry is getting his lunch money taken in at least 2 games every year.

This hasn't been the case in quite a long time

R Clark
07-14-2016, 08:10 AM
Don't think they were trades.

ThaVirus
07-14-2016, 08:11 AM
Just tag him and let him walk after this season. Fuck it.

I'd rather keep that $12m on ice for a top-notch CB.

Dinny Bossa Nova
07-14-2016, 08:13 AM
A RARE R Clark SIGHTING!!!!!!

How you been, R?

Dinny

Quesadilla Joe
07-14-2016, 08:15 AM
<blockquote class="twitter-tweet" data-lang="en"><p lang="en" dir="ltr">Absent unlikely change, no extensions expected for franchise players K. Cousins, Eric Berry, Alshon Jeffery, Mo Wilkerson, Trumaine Johnson.</p>&mdash; Adam Schefter (@AdamSchefter) <a href="https://twitter.com/AdamSchefter/status/753592280150257664">July 14, 2016</a></blockquote>

R Clark
07-14-2016, 08:17 AM
Trying to get by

Pasta Little Brioni
07-14-2016, 08:31 AM
<blockquote class="twitter-tweet" data-lang="en"><p lang="en" dir="ltr">Absent unlikely change, no extensions expected for franchise players K. Cousins, Eric Berry, Alshon Jeffery, Mo Wilkerson, Trumaine Johnson.</p>&mdash; Adam Schefter (@AdamSchefter) <a href="https://twitter.com/AdamSchefter/status/753592280150257664">July 14, 2016</a></blockquote>

Did you get your naked Von ESPN magazine yet ROFL

DJ's left nut
07-14-2016, 08:35 AM
Ugh.

I presume he's signed his tender. Otherwise, I'd rather just rescind the tag and put him in FA over paying him $11 million for a year.

I'd be okay with a long-term AAV at that figure because players only get more expensive so the 'real' cost is likely in the $9 million range. Paying him that in real dollars for a single season, OTOH, sucks balls.

If it were doable, I'd cut him and use the roll-over savings to put towards retaining Fisher or Poe long-term. Berry under the tag isn't a value at all.

Sure seems like paying the man when the Chiefs didn't have to built up a ton of good will, eh?

O.city
07-14-2016, 08:41 AM
Not a fan of it on either side. Not a real good look by the chiefs for not extending berry with all he's been thru and how he's come out on the other side, not good by berry demanding what I'm guessing he's demanding.

Chief Roundup
07-14-2016, 08:42 AM
Ugh.

I presume he's signed his tender. Otherwise, I'd rather just rescind the tag and put him in FA over paying him $11 million for a year.

I'd be okay with a long-term AAV at that figure because players only get more expensive so the 'real' cost is likely in the $9 million range. Paying him that in real dollars for a single season, OTOH, sucks balls.

If it were doable, I'd cut him and use the roll-over savings to put towards retaining Fisher or Poe long-term. Berry under the tag isn't a value at all.

Sure seems like paying the man when the Chiefs didn't have to built up a ton of good will, eh?

"However, he could also hold off on signing the tender, which would allow him to skip training camp and the preseason and return shortly before the regular season and still collect his full $10.8 million salary."

Read more here: http://www.kansascity.com/sports/nfl/kansas-city-chiefs/article88612427.html#storylink=cpy

O.city
07-14-2016, 08:42 AM
Seems it would benefit both sides to get a deal done

O.city
07-14-2016, 08:51 AM
I'm leaning towards this being more berry than the chiefs. Past evidence shows the chiefs have to issue giving out big deals.

kysirsoze
07-14-2016, 08:52 AM

Peyton looks like he was dressed by a blind man in a goodwill. Just awful.

DJ's left nut
07-14-2016, 08:55 AM
I'm leaning towards this being more berry than the chiefs. Past evidence shows the chiefs have to issue giving out big deals.

That's my thought.

The Chiefs under Dorsey have shown a willingness to pay guys market value. But if the guy's demanding a deal that's significantly better than Harrison Smith's (who's a very comparable player), then the Chiefs are wisely not going to give it to him.

Alternatively, it's possible the Chiefs simply don't put that kind of value on the position. But if that's the case, rescind the tag. Or, I'm sure there are teams like the Jags that would gladly give him that money as they're not facing cap issues in the next year or two. Deal him to Jacksonville for a 2nd and use that 2nd on his long-term replacement.

They can't keep everyone, it's the reality of a cap league. If they don't value the position as much as the market does or if Berry's trying to re-set the market, the smart thing to do is walk away. If you can get something in return, do it.

Red Dawg
07-14-2016, 08:56 AM
Seems it would benefit both sides to get a deal done

Apparently not. Berry wants what we can't give.

Quesadilla Joe
07-14-2016, 09:12 AM
<blockquote class="twitter-tweet" data-lang="en"><p lang="en" dir="ltr">On <a href="https://twitter.com/hashtag/Chiefs?src=hash">#Chiefs</a> S Eric Berry: 2 sides are not close now. But a deal hasn&#39;t been ruled out. Traditionally GM John Dorsey&#39;s best offer comes Friday</p>&mdash; Ian Rapoport (@RapSheet) <a href="https://twitter.com/RapSheet/status/753606869789401088">July 14, 2016</a></blockquote>

O.city
07-14-2016, 09:15 AM
<blockquote class="twitter-tweet" data-lang="en"><p lang="en" dir="ltr">On <a href="https://twitter.com/hashtag/Chiefs?src=hash">#Chiefs</a> S Eric Berry: 2 sides are not close now. But a deal hasn&#39;t been ruled out. Traditionally GM John Dorsey&#39;s best offer comes Friday</p>&mdash; Ian Rapoport (@RapSheet) <a href="https://twitter.com/RapSheet/status/753606869789401088">July 14, 2016</a></blockquote>

That's kind of what I figured

O.city
07-14-2016, 09:19 AM
That's my thought.

The Chiefs under Dorsey have shown a willingness to pay guys market value. But if the guy's demanding a deal that's significantly better than Harrison Smith's (who's a very comparable player), then the Chiefs are wisely not going to give it to him.

Alternatively, it's possible the Chiefs simply don't put that kind of value on the position. But if that's the case, rescind the tag. Or, I'm sure there are teams like the Jags that would gladly give him that money as they're not facing cap issues in the next year or two. Deal him to Jacksonville for a 2nd and use that 2nd on his long-term replacement.

They can't keep everyone, it's the reality of a cap league. If they don't value the position as much as the market does or if Berry's trying to re-set the market, the smart thing to do is walk away. If you can get something in return, do it.

I think (or hope) berry is finally on the curve we hoped he would be coming out of college. As last year progressed, he really played well. If that continues, I don't doubt he could be easily considered the best safety in the league this time next year.

If they think he's a guy who's a core defensive guy, Im not to worried about the position. With his versatility and their ability to find safeties, the money shouldn't hurt that bad. If not, they shouldn't have tagged him.

Berry, poe, houston, peters are the 4 I'd like to see the d revolve around.

The Franchise
07-14-2016, 09:19 AM
http://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/showthread.php?t=293351&highlight=justin+houston+contract

We've seen this shit already.

Houston wants too much! We should just trade him! We can just draft his replacement!

DaneMcCloud
07-14-2016, 09:23 AM

The Gonzalez trade was complete shit. The Jared Allen trade yeilded the Chiefs best draft class in more than a decade, if not two.

Smith and Lewis were free agents.

DaneMcCloud
07-14-2016, 09:29 AM
According to Florio, Berry wants an average of $11.8 million per year with a larger guarantee than Harrison Smith's of $28 million.

That, to me, is absurd. Paying a safety almost $12 million per?

More than Maclin?

Red Dawg
07-14-2016, 09:40 AM
According to Florio, Berry wants an average of $11.8 million per year with a larger guarantee than Harrison Smith's of $28 million.

That, to me, is absurd. Paying a safety almost $12 million per?

More than Maclin?

Berry is great leader but he is not the best safety in the league. I would rank him 4th or 5th. 12 mil is too much. Dorsey probably think 10 is the highest with like 25 guranteed.