PDA

View Full Version : Life DOG SHOES FOR HOT PAVEMENT

Buck
07-20-2016, 09:34 AM
Does anyone have to put something on their dog's feet because of hot pavement? I'm about to drive cross country and am worried about my pup's paws in the crazy heat. I checked petco.com and everything is $30 plus. Any ideas on something cheaper out there? Wondering if there is some girl's sock I can buy at walmart that will do the trick.

'Hamas' Jenkins
07-20-2016, 09:48 AM
https://www.amazon.com/Pawz-Purple-Water-Proof-4-Inch-Disposable-Reusable/dp/B001J1W76O

New World Order
07-20-2016, 09:57 AM
Does anyone have to put something on their dog's feet because of hot pavement? I'm about to drive cross country and am worried about my pup's paws in the crazy heat. I checked petco.com and everything is $30 plus. Any ideas on something cheaper out there? Wondering if there is some girl's sock I can buy at walmart that will do the trick.

My girl made booties for my dog, but I only put them on his feet if it's freezing cold outside

Garcia Bronco
07-20-2016, 10:17 AM

That's about what they cost. But they last a long time. The hard part is getting your dog used to them. They also can make your dog get too hot. You have to monitor the situation for sure.

listopencil
07-20-2016, 10:34 AM
I wouldn't trust anything to properly insulate my dog's paws from hot pavement/asphalt. It seems to me like anything thick enough to do it isn't going to be practical. I think you are going to have to modify your itinerary to avoid arid locations if you plan to travel during this time of year.

loochy
07-20-2016, 10:38 AM
I wouldn't trust anything to properly insulate my dog's paws from hot pavement/asphalt. It seems to me like anything thick enough to do it isn't going to be practical. I think you are going to have to modify your itinerary to avoid arid locations if you plan to travel during this time of year.

or walk on grass instead of concrete

Bowser
07-20-2016, 10:43 AM
Yeah, fuck millions of years of evolution that have led to dog's paws being able to stand up to heat. Better get Skippy some sweet ass doggie Crocs to save him and use as chick bait at the dog park.

BigBeauford
07-20-2016, 10:45 AM
http://m.imgur.com/gallery/TM8yNhttps://goo.gl/images/HssaeT

BigBeauford
07-20-2016, 10:47 AM
http://i2.photobucket.com/albums/y35/wh1pst1ckag0st0p/Animated%20Gifs/KittenMittens.gif

Bowser
07-20-2016, 10:49 AM
http://m.imgur.com/gallery/TM8yNhttps://goo.gl/images/HssaeT

https://c1.staticflickr.com/1/46/170645523_eacbb1ad37.jpg

BigBeauford
07-20-2016, 10:53 AM
https://c1.staticflickr.com/1/46/170645523_eacbb1ad37.jpg

I was so excited for the perfect response that I blew my load early.

RealSNR
07-20-2016, 10:54 AM
Make some tinfoil paw pouches and fill them with liquid nitrogen

Should do the trick.

Buck
07-20-2016, 11:08 AM
Yeah, fuck millions of years of evolution that have led to dog's paws being able to stand up to heat. Better get Skippy some sweet ass doggie Crocs to save him and use as chick bait at the dog park.

By that logic, our feet should be good to go too.

Dogs haven't been walking on pavement for millions of years.

Ended up with these. Pet store had them for $15. https://www.amazon.com/RC-Pet-Products-Charcoal-Heather/dp/B00HRVUOA6

listopencil
07-20-2016, 11:15 AM
or walk on grass instead of concrete

That's going to be hard to do if he lives in San Diego and plans to travel East in the summertime. I don't know what he means by "cross country."

Halfcan
07-20-2016, 11:17 AM
Indoor/Outdoor dog socks
Improve your dog's traction on slippery surfaces
Anti-slip silicone sole and stretchy cotton/spandex upper sock
Fun and functional!

What is the over / under that your dog hates them and chews a hole through them in the first ten minutes? My last dog would have chewed the shit our of those-I guess that is the "fun" part in the description. Good luck- that is cool you are trying-I hope it works out.

Buck
07-20-2016, 11:17 AM
That's going to be hard to do if he lives in San Diego and plans to travel East in the summertime. I don't know what he means by "cross country."

San Diego to South Carolina. Driving through Arizona, New Mexico, Texas, etc during middle of summer. Will let dog out at rest stops, which I assume are going to be mostly paved without grass.

Buck
07-20-2016, 11:18 AM
Indoor/Outdoor dog socks
Improve your dog's traction on slippery surfaces
Anti-slip silicone sole and stretchy cotton/spandex upper sock
Fun and functional!

What is the over / under that your dog hates them and chews a hole through them in the first ten minutes? My last dog would have chewed the shit our of those-I guess that is the "fun" part in the description. Good luck- that is cool you are trying-I hope it works out.

Already tested them out, she thought they were weird, but I coaxed her with food and she forgot she had them on. They are a temporary need, for about 20 mins time each day for a week or so.

Halfcan
07-20-2016, 11:35 AM
Already tested them out, she thought they were weird, but I coaxed her with food and she forgot she had them on. They are a temporary need, for about 20 mins time each day for a week or so.

That is a good idea- give her a treat every time you put them on-so she gets conditioned to like them and associate the socks with a positive outcome.

My ex-wife bought a $45.00 custom sweater for our dog once. :rolleyes: He hated it and had it torn to shit in 5 minutes. I used it as a chew toy for years to try and get my money out of it.

Otter
07-20-2016, 11:37 AM
What in sasquatch's pink balloon knot is the reason to drive from San Diego to South Carolina unless you're moving to SC? Do you have to drive back? You have heard of airplanes and unless your dog is a nightmare a sitter can't be too hard to find.</br></br>Driving cross country sounds cool but in reality it's hell.

Buck
07-20-2016, 11:38 AM
What in the hell is the reason to drive from San Diego to South Carolina unless you're moving to SC? Do you have to drive back? You have heard of airplanes and unless your dog is a nightmare a sitter can't be too hard to find.</br></br>Driving cross country sounds cool but in reality it's hell.

I'm moving there. Leaving on Saturday.

Halfcan
07-20-2016, 11:41 AM
San Diego to South Carolina. Driving through Arizona, New Mexico, Texas, etc during middle of summer. Will let dog out at rest stops, which I assume are going to be mostly paved without grass.

Pavement and sand in Arizona and New Mexico most likely-maybe some scrub brush. Texas will be dust and weeds until you hit East Texas past Dallas.

S.C. is awesome-I was just there. Charleston has a ton of history. Folly Beach is your best bet as far as beach time-it is over on Sullivan's Island. Morris Island would be great for you pup-very deserted and amazing views.

Sounds like a fun trip-been through those places many times!! Very scenic-you will have a blast!

Otter
07-20-2016, 11:41 AM
I'm moving there. Leaving on Saturday. OK, that makes sense. Good luck! Sorry, can't help ya with the dog socks.

Halfcan
07-20-2016, 11:45 AM
What in sasquatch's pink balloon knot is the reason to drive from San Diego to South Carolina unless you're moving to SC? Do you have to drive back? You have heard of airplanes and unless your dog is a nightmare a sitter can't be too hard to find.</br></br>Driving cross country sounds cool but in reality it's hell.

I love to drive in that part of the country. New Mexico is so under rated. He should hit Santa Fe, White Sands, Petrified Forest and Carlsbad before dropping into Texas. I would do the Texas stretch at night-not much to see in West Texas and is much better at night with the endless stars and light traffic.

sd4chiefs
07-20-2016, 11:47 AM
Yeah, **** millions of years of evolution that have led to dog's paws being able to stand up to heat. Better get Skippy some sweet ass doggie Crocs to save him and use as chick bait at the dog park.

Dogs have only been around for about 40,000 years.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Origin_of_the_domestic_dog

sd4chiefs
07-20-2016, 11:52 AM
I'm moving there. Leaving on Saturday.

SC is a beautiful state. Where in SC are you moving to?

Buck
07-20-2016, 11:54 AM
Murrells Inlet, it's near Myrtle Beach.

BigBeauford
07-20-2016, 11:56 AM
I love to drive in that part of the country. New Mexico is so under rated. He should hit Santa Fe, White Sands, Petrified Forest and Carlsbad before dropping into Texas. I would do the Texas stretch at night-not much to see in West Texas and is much better at night with the endless stars and light traffic.

I used to live in El Paso. To me the drive is devoid of any greenery or life.

big nasty kcnut
07-20-2016, 12:04 PM
get a old sock cut the bottom cover your dog feet in it and keep it on with a rubber band. Boom solved your problem.

Halfcan
07-20-2016, 12:12 PM

Yep that is why I said do West Texas at night. Went through there during an electrical storm-coolest thing I ever saw. It is so flat you could see the lightning for miles. Then it passed and the sky lite up with the most stars I have ever seen.

It is hard to beat the desert for star watching.

Bowser
07-20-2016, 12:15 PM
Dogs have only been around for about 40,000 years.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Origin_of_the_domestic_dog

Get the Crocs, Buck. Dogs are at least 50,000 years away from developing opposable thumbs and making their own shoes, if this correct.

Dartgod
07-20-2016, 12:17 PM
That is a good idea- give her a treat every time you put them on-so she gets conditioned to like them and associate the socks with a positive outcome.

My ex-wife bought a $45.00 custom sweater for our dog once. :rolleyes: He hated it and had it torn to shit in 5 minutes. I used it as a chew toy for years to try and get my money out of it.

If I ever need our schnauzer to stay put in one spot for an extended period, all I have to do is put a dog sweater on him. He literally will. not. move. He's like a fucking statue when we torture him with that thing.

Radar Chief
07-20-2016, 12:24 PM

Well, there is some green but it's all cactus. Other than that, yea ^this with piles of rocks separated by mesquite "trees". Always figured that if there is indeed a hell it would look like west Texas.

Fish
07-20-2016, 12:35 PM
Just grab a can of tool dip for $7, and dip its paws in a few times...

http://i65.tinypic.com/zmyxpy.jpg

listopencil
07-20-2016, 12:53 PM

Yeah, there won't be much dog friendly real estate for a big chunk of your trip.

listopencil
07-20-2016, 12:55 PM

Traveling at night and hitting up hotels to sleep in the day would be a good way to make it to central Texas with a dog.

hometeam
07-20-2016, 01:36 PM
Rest stops have grass.

Beef Supreme
07-20-2016, 01:44 PM
By that logic, our feet should be good to go too.

Dogs haven't been walking on pavement for millions of years.

Ended up with these. Pet store had them for $15. https://www.amazon.com/RC-Pet-Products-Charcoal-Heather/dp/B00HRVUOA6

Dogs haven't been wearing shoes. People have.

listopencil
07-20-2016, 02:53 PM
Dogs haven't been wearing shoes. People have.

Dogs aren't stupid enough to stand on burning hot rocks for millenia hoping that their offspring will someday be born with more resilient feet.

Beef Supreme
07-20-2016, 02:59 PM
I have 2 dogs that go damn near everywhere with me. They walk on whatever surface happens to be under them with no complaints and no evidence of any damage. Sorry your dog is a pussy.

Bwana
07-20-2016, 03:09 PM
If I ever need our schnauzer to stay put in one spot for an extended period, all I have to do is put a dog sweater on him. He literally will. not. move. He's like a ****ing statue when we torture him with that thing.

I was dating an old hide several years ago that was living with me. I had two Labs, she had one. She came up with this bright idea for a Christmas card. She went out and bought Santa hats, elf hats, the whole 9 yards. When she told me she had bought one for me for the Christmas picture (as well as for herself and the dogs,) I told her no way in hell was I wearing something like that, much less in a Christmas photo.

There was much butt hurt on her part, but it WAS NOT going to happen. She must have taken 40 shots to get the "perfect Christmas Photo" and when it was all said and done, in every one of them the dogs looked like they had just been beaten. ROFL They were not pleased with the whole Santa/Elf theme. I don't think it was a month after that event, I ended up running her off.

Hog's Gone Fishin
07-20-2016, 05:43 PM
I have 2 dogs that go damn near everywhere with me. They walk on whatever surface happens to be under them with no complaints and no evidence of any damage. Sorry your dog is a pussy.

ROFL

scho63
07-20-2016, 06:50 PM

Not for nothing but this really makes you look silly. You are going to spend tons of money on gas yet $30 for the safety of your dog is giving you hesitation?

Really??? :rolleyes:

Mr. Laz
07-20-2016, 06:58 PM

Trump voter

Otter
07-20-2016, 07:05 PM
Homemade dog boots. And if you type in "homemade dog boots" in search on YouTube there's a whole bunch of other results. I know it's crazy but give it a try.

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/AkyJurw26nM" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Rain Man
07-20-2016, 07:59 PM
You should consider cowboy boots.

https://s-media-cache-ak0.pinimg.com/236x/39/0c/95/390c9536bb00ec4831d8bd05d3e50ab5.jpg

listopencil
07-20-2016, 09:46 PM

Try walking them on pavement/concrete in Arizona when it's 110 degrees. Better yet, don't, and just know that their feet will be damaged if you do.

Buck
07-21-2016, 02:22 AM
God forbid I don't want to hurt my Dog. Fuck me, right?

Mile High Mania
07-21-2016, 08:56 AM
God forbid I don't want to hurt my Dog. **** me, right?

Some times you ask the masses... some times, you just spend the $30.

Setsuna
07-21-2016, 09:38 AM
Isn't that the same thing as putting shoes on our own shoes? Aren't their paw pads technically their shoes?

Radar Chief
07-21-2016, 09:43 AM
Try walking them on pavement/concrete in Arizona when it's 110 degrees. Better yet, don't, and just know that their feet will be damaged if you do.

Got an old friend that's a motorcycle mechanic in Phoenix and he tells me that you have to ride with gloves or the heat coming off the pavement will blister the backs of your fingers.

Radar Chief
07-21-2016, 09:45 AM
God forbid I don't want to hurt my Dog. **** me, right?

Sissy. Man up and let your dog build some callus.

Radar Chief
07-21-2016, 09:48 AM
Isn't that the same thing as putting shoes on our own shoes? Aren't their paw pads technically their shoes?

Yes, their pads are tougher than the soles of our feet but it's still skin. Put skin in contact with a surface that can be over 150* F with the southwest sun beating down on it and that skin will burn.

Rausch
07-21-2016, 10:26 AM
Kitten mittens...

vailpass
07-21-2016, 01:15 PM
Rest stops have grass.

That's cute.

BigBeauford
07-21-2016, 01:35 PM
Kitten mittens...

You're toooo late!