PDA

View Full Version : Home and Auto Are all truckers idiots or is it just most of them?

Buck
07-24-2016, 08:46 PM
?

SAUTO
07-24-2016, 08:50 PM
It was the people in the van's fault I'm hearing.

They made an illegal left in front of the Dallas cowboys bus and got killed.

Longtime cowboys bus driver saves bus from flipping

SAUTO
07-24-2016, 08:51 PM
4 deaths.

Bowser
07-24-2016, 08:53 PM
There certainly are no shortage of dipshit truck drivers on the road, but your average car driver usually has no idea how to share the road with trucks. Rule One - trucks can't stop on a dime, so don't expect them to.

tx4chiefs
07-24-2016, 08:54 PM
I'm going with "ALL OF THEM!"

Buck
07-24-2016, 08:54 PM
I'm not referring to that. I drove for 5 hours on I 40 E yesterday and had truckers wait until I was 5 car lengths behind them in the fast lane to move over in front of me to overtake their convoy and sometimes they took 5 damn minutes to do so. There was nobody behind me and they could have waited 10 more seconds. The shit they pull is seriously dangerous and I don't appreciate it. Fucked up thing to do because when I crash into you, I die, and you walk away without a scratch.

To clarify, this was a highway with 2 lanes going in my direction.

eDave
07-24-2016, 08:56 PM
I'm not referring to that. I drove for 5 hours on I 40 E yesterday and had truckers wait until I was 5 car lengths behind them in the fast lane to move over in front of me to overtake their convoy and sometimes they took 5 damn minutes to do so. There was nobody behind me and they could have waited 10 more seconds. The shit they pull is seriously dangerous and I don't appreciate it. ****ed up thing to do because when I crash into you, I die, and you walk away without a scratch.

My biggest pet peeve when road tripping. There's a reason but I don't remember what it is.

Bowser
07-24-2016, 08:59 PM
I'm not referring to that. I drove for 5 hours on I 40 E yesterday and had truckers wait until I was 5 car lengths behind them in the fast lane to move over in front of me to overtake their convoy and sometimes they took 5 damn minutes to do so. There was nobody behind me and they could have waited 10 more seconds. The shit they pull is seriously dangerous and I don't appreciate it. Fucked up thing to do because when I crash into you, I die, and you walk away without a scratch.

Yeah, those guys are assholes. Many trucks are governed. You'll get one guy governed at 63 and another guy at 65. Trucker 65 will get over in the left to pass, but then a slow incline starts. 65 has a full load, but 63 is pulling a 20% full trailer and pulls away going up the hill. Rinse and repeat. Just get the fuck over and let traffic by. Drives me nuts.

'Hamas' Jenkins
07-24-2016, 08:59 PM
That was one of the great things about I-80 in Indiana and Ohio. Trucks had to stay in the right lane and were given a lower speed limit than other vehicles.

jd1020
07-24-2016, 09:00 PM
i really havent had many issues with truckers over the years.

Outside of the occasional douchebag that refuses to move over so I can merge onto the highway I can only recall one truly dickhead driver that can get his license revoked and I wouldnt shed a tear over him losing his job. This was one of those guys that wouldn't allow me to merge onto the highway. There was a trucker in front of him and beside him while I was braking to get in lane behind the truck in front of him. He didn't allow but barely enough room for me to merge and I immediately turn my blinker on to get out of the death trap once the truck in the passing lane went by. As soon as the truck clears me I move over and the guy behind me follows, but not only does he follow me over he speeds up to get right on my bumper and starts flashing his brights at me like I cut him off. Ya, that guy can go die in a fire.

TLO
07-24-2016, 09:01 PM
http://lh3.ggpht.com/_wYTUD4CnYhc/THnuxPdZEeI/AAAAAAAAQFU/SEKCu4EmLEw/s800/man-wearing-a-mexican-hat.jpg

DaneMcCloud
07-24-2016, 09:05 PM
http://lh3.ggpht.com/_wYTUD4CnYhc/THnuxPdZEeI/AAAAAAAAQFU/SEKCu4EmLEw/s800/man-wearing-a-mexican-hat.jpg

How do not have a million Neg Rep points?

Demonpenz
07-24-2016, 09:28 PM
I don't know if truck drivers are idiots but if you can learn how to drive those things it seems like easy money.

Easy 6
07-24-2016, 09:49 PM
Yeah, those guys are assholes. Many trucks are governed. You'll get one guy governed at 63 and another guy at 65. Trucker 65 will get over in the left to pass, but then a slow incline starts. 65 has a full load, but 63 is pulling a 20% full trailer and pulls away going up the hill. Rinse and repeat. Just get the **** over and let traffic by. Drives me nuts.

You just nailed it, obviously speaking from real experience

I completely understand cars becoming impatient when that kinda thing is going on and it happens all the time... and yep, tons of jackoff tractor drivers out there being as rude as possible

But sometimes car drivers need to understand that whatever inconvenience of time they're having can always be made up way quicker than most trucks can... you can pass everything in sight in mere seconds if you want to most of the time

Slow down and hang on, it will sort itself out and cost you what, 5 minutes tops?

My biggest fear, even though it really shouldnt be at all because I wont get a scratch... is people following too close behind, you cant see around me, so if I have to slam the brakes or make a drastic move and you cant see it coming, well... good luck

BleedingRed
07-24-2016, 10:01 PM
I prefer the gas mileage behind them, myth busters did it and showed even at 150 feet there is a benefit.

Al Bundy
07-24-2016, 10:06 PM
You just nailed it, obviously speaking from real experience

I completely understand cars becoming impatient when that kinda thing is going on and it happens all the time... and yep, tons of jackoff tractor drivers out there being as rude as possible

But sometimes car drivers need to understand that whatever inconvenience of time they're having can always be made up way quicker than most trucks can... you can pass everything in sight in mere seconds if you want to most of the time

Slow down and hang on, it will sort itself out and cost you what, 5 minutes tops?

My biggest fear, even though it really shouldnt be at all because I wont get a scratch... is people following too close behind, you cant see around me, so if I have to slam the brakes or make a drastic move and you cant see it coming, well... good luck

I am not a truck driver, but while I was in college I did drive a tow truck and we did have to haul some rigs away. I have known for close to 30 years that person in the cab can't see you a lot of the time and you sure in the hell can't see around them. I agree with Easy here, I always give trucks 4-6 car lengths in case they have to slam on their brakes. Only complaint I ever have is if the trucks are following too close to me.

Rain Man
07-24-2016, 10:14 PM
One nice thing about living in Denver is that our truck traffic is really light. Experienced truck drivers know to avoid I-70 up to the divide, so the long-distance trucks all take I-80 through Wyoming.

btlook1
07-24-2016, 10:20 PM
Funny thing is seems like at least 50% are not even Americans anymore....a good portion of the drivers that pick up where I work speak very little English. Russian, Jamacian, most are middle eastern...many of them just show up with there phone that has the pick up info on them so we load them up and send them on there way....now the local drivers are still local guys...but not the long haul guys....funny some of them can't even back in to the dock without help..... I'm guessing old red neck truck stops have changed quite a bit in the last few years. Not like you see on Tv anymore....other than that I have no problem with them either long as they aren't riding my ass.

Al Bundy
07-24-2016, 11:19 PM
Funny thing is seems like at least 50% are not even Americans anymore....a good portion of the drivers that pick up where I work speak very little English. Russian, Jamacian, most are middle eastern...many of them just show up with there phone that has the pick up info on them so we load them up and send them on there way....now the local drivers are still local guys...but not the long haul guys....funny some of them can't even back in to the dock without help..... I'm guessing old red neck truck stops have changed quite a bit in the last few years. Not like you see on Tv anymore....other than that I have no problem with them either long as they aren't riding my ass.

We have the same 3-5 guys that always do our deliveries. All regular old redneck truckers that can back straight in the dock.

New World Order
07-24-2016, 11:22 PM
What's it like in sd buck?

Buehler445
07-25-2016, 12:06 AM
There are a lot of dumb truckers.

However when I tie my spray rig through town (wide and heavy....I mean legal. Yeah. Legal) most of the stupid I encounter is cars.

Buck
07-25-2016, 04:59 AM
What's it like in sd buck?

Every highway is 4-6 lines wide in each direction and trucks have plenty of space to do their thing without looking stupid.

Hog's Gone Fishin
07-25-2016, 05:08 AM
Those trucks need their own ****ing highway. I deal with them on a daily basis ,hauling hogs out and grain in. Yeah 99% are ****ing morons that can't find a real job because they're too stupid. I can use Overhead as an example.

Dartgod
07-25-2016, 06:33 AM
I am not a truck driver, but while I was in college I did a tow truck driver...

I figured as much.

Dayze
07-25-2016, 07:05 AM
I drove OTR flat bed last year, and just as there are idiot drivers in cars, there are idiot /bad tractor drivers . Absolutely.

I enjoyed listening to the CB during shit like what Buck was describing. Some if the shit that came out of the CB was great. Other truckers were ruthless in giving said offender shit.. im partial to referring to the scenario of one trucker overtaking another when both are governed as a 63 mph drag race. My truck was governed at 63 and I've literally followed/witnessed a drag race for probably 20-25 miles once. Meanwhile all the other truckers are lighting these guys up on the radio. When we finally pass, one was middle eastern and the other Mexican/Latino. Your supposed to be able to speak English as a requirement to get your CDL but somehow I suspect neither one of these guys spoke a lick of it. Or, didn't have a radio in their cab.

Sent from my XT1080 using Tapatalk

scho63
07-25-2016, 07:14 AM
Truck drivers have such a low accident rate compared to the rest of the driving public. I forget the stats I saw a few years ago about CDL drivers but it was staggering. Something like non-CDL drivers had a 380% greater accident rate based on mileage driven.

The one area that CDL drivers have a high cause rate for accidents is driver fatigue. They are substantially higher percentage as a CAUSE compared to non-CDL.

Predarat
07-25-2016, 07:21 AM
I'm not referring to that. I drove for 5 hours on I 40 E yesterday and had truckers wait until I was 5 car lengths behind them in the fast lane to move over in front of me to overtake their convoy and sometimes they took 5 damn minutes to do so. There was nobody behind me and they could have waited 10 more seconds. The shit they pull is seriously dangerous and I don't appreciate it. ****ed up thing to do because when I crash into you, I die, and you walk away without a scratch.

They are notorious for that on i-40. At least from West Oklahoma all the way to East Tennessee and probably even much further than that. How horrible, one truck in the right lane going 62 MPH so another truck gets into the left lane and goes 62.0000000000000000000000000000000001 MPH and backlogs the hell out of traffic. We now have a Left Lane Slow Poke law because of that, plus cars do that shit too. Wish they would also fine the truck driving companies, alot of that is due to regulators, governors and all that.

displacedinMN
07-25-2016, 07:28 AM
Isn't R8ers (sp) a truck driver. He may have some insight or thoughts. May be on the road too.

Buehler445
07-25-2016, 07:34 AM
I drove OTR flat bed last year, and just as there are idiot drivers in cars, there are idiot /bad tractor drivers . Absolutely.

I enjoyed listening to the CB during shit like what Buck was describing. Some if the shit that came out of the CB was great. Other truckers were ruthless in giving said offender shit.. im partial to referring to the scenario of one trucker overtaking another when both are governed as a 63 mph drag race. My truck was governed at 63 and I've literally followed/witnessed a drag race for probably 20-25 miles once. Meanwhile all the other truckers are lighting these guys up on the radio. When we finally pass, one was middle eastern and the other Mexican/Latino. Your supposed to be able to speak English as a requirement to get your CDL but somehow I suspect neither one of these guys spoke a lick of it. Or, didn't have a radio in their cab.

Did not know that, but I'm pretty sure the guys that drive for Wind River absolutely do not.

Dayze
07-25-2016, 08:13 AM
Well. I should clarify ...in KS it is. Not sure if that's nationwide or not.

ROYC75
07-25-2016, 08:21 AM
Boy Howdy, we sure are a bunch of whine bags in this thread. Oh those damn truck driver, the nerve of them with doing a job, bringing the consumer ( yeah, you Mr. Dumbass) his goods. Most of them are rather intelligent people who like to travel, who enjoy their work.

Yeah, there are some that do not think to well, it's frustrating in trucks geared down to travel and you are pulling a heavy load while the guy in front pulls away on some grades. The heaver truck is gaining on him due to the weight of the truck pushing him downhill, momentum driving. Truckers have been doing this for years and it sucks when going coast to coast. These guys are looking at the amount of time they have to travel, they only have so many hours a day to drive. Where as the average Joe Blow driver is not limited on the hours he can drive.

Idiots everywhere, Millions of cars on the road vs Thousands of trucks.

Stop being an idiot yourself, leave earlier on your trip. Remember, the road is a shared highway that all must travel.

Moral of this story, if you run across one of these idiots, don't be one at the same time and add to the situation, kick back, relax, pass when you can. 1 idiots generally does not cause an accident, 2 or more idiots increases the chances greatly.

DaneMcCloud
07-25-2016, 08:37 AM
I've road tripped across the country dozens of times, from Cali to Florida, from KC to Cali (both the northern and southern routes) and to the Middle Atlantic coast. The only time I've experienced what Buck is describing has been on inclines, never on flat terrain and only a few times at that.

The key, to me anyway, when road tripping is to relax and enjoy the ride. Set the Cruise Control to no more than 7mph over the speed limit, put on some music, keep the car nice and cool (to avoid falling asleep) and enjoy the road.

rtmike
07-25-2016, 08:44 AM
Those trucks need their own ****ing highway. I deal with them on a daily basis ,hauling hogs out and grain in. Yeah 99% are ****ing morons that can't find a real job because they're too stupid. I can use Overhead as an example.

Funny thing about that. The interstate highway system was built for the transportation of goods & the military.

srvy
07-25-2016, 09:09 AM
I can tolerate truckers its the idiots in SUV's on cell phones that can kill ya!

loochy
07-25-2016, 09:20 AM
Boy Howdy,

ROFL

Pasta Little Brioni
07-25-2016, 09:21 AM
Wait till they fire a piss jug at you with the windows down

DaneMcCloud
07-25-2016, 09:28 AM
I can tolerate truckers its the idiots in SUV's on cell phones that can kill ya!

That's not illegal where you live?

It's a progressive fine in my city. $300, $400, $500 and so on.

Frosty
07-25-2016, 09:33 AM

It's illegal where I live but a lot of people do it anyway. :grr:

Al Bundy
07-25-2016, 09:40 AM

Every other person I see here in KC is either talking on their cell phone or texting.

Simply Red
07-25-2016, 09:47 AM

it's overlooked here in Atlanta - I do believe it's illegal - but the sole fact it's not inforced has given defensive-driving a whole new definition.

sd4chiefs
07-25-2016, 10:01 AM
They let you get away with driving 80 mph on the freeway here but you better not use your cell phone or you will get fined big time.

eDave
07-25-2016, 10:03 AM
Bluetooth is a thing.

loochy
07-25-2016, 10:09 AM
it's overlooked here in Atlanta - I do believe it's illegal - but the sole fact it's not inforced has given defensive-driving a whole new definition.

This applies to DFW too.

srvy
07-25-2016, 10:19 AM
I do believe it is illegal but not enforced and have seen plenty KCPD on cellphones but never State troopers yet. I travel a fair amount all over this country and see it everywhere Cali included.

With most local police forces relegated to revenue collecting it surprises me how little this one gets in enforcement. Maybe its courts dont have time for it I dont know.

Buehler445
07-25-2016, 10:21 AM

They rape truckers if they're on the phone but do nothing to the jackass highschoolers and "IM SO BUSY YOU HAVE NO IDEA!" Soccer moms that grace the road with their presence.

The Franchise
07-25-2016, 10:23 AM

Do they actually pull people over for that shit down there? Up here...I've witnessed cops looking directly at someone on their cell phone and not getting pulled over.

DaneMcCloud
07-25-2016, 10:26 AM
They let you get away with driving 80 mph on the freeway here but you better not use your cell phone or you will get fined big time.

80 mph? Not where I live. I took my kids to a camp in Studio City all last week and I was lucky to go 20 mph on the 101. The camp is 6 miles from my house and it took a minimum of 30 minutes each way.

It took more than an hour the day of the fires near my home.

Mosbonian
07-25-2016, 10:26 AM
Grew up in a family of truck drivers....my dad was a trucker, my 2 uncles were truckers and my grandpa before them was a trucker. They were all great drivers, could actually handle them with ease and park them in the smallest spot with nary a scratch. I learned to respect trucks and the drivers for what they did and could do without causing wrecks or driver frustration.

Having said that...I wouldn't trust most drivers these days including my 2 cousins who continue the family legacy.

DaneMcCloud
07-25-2016, 10:27 AM
Do they actually pull people over for that shit down there? Up here...I've witnessed cops looking directly at someone on their cell phone and not getting pulled over.

I've seen people pulled over for cell phone use before.

What I can't understand is that even back in 2000, I used a wired ear piece while driving yet in 2016, these dummies hold a phone to their ear?

ptlyon
07-25-2016, 10:36 AM
So funny this is the first thread I see when I pull up CP.

Just got done being stuck behind two truckers going 65 side by side for 10 miles down the interstate where the speed limit is 80. Pissed me the fuck off.

HemiEd
07-25-2016, 10:44 AM
I have put more than my fare share of miles on the highways and it can be frustrating to have truckers hog the passing lanes, but they have to look out for themselves.

They are constantly dealing with soccer moms in Mini Vans doing stupid shit like feeling more comfortable in the left lane. Joe lunch box finally getting to drive the good car on the weekend, cutting in front of them.

It's where they make their living and I kind of side with them.

When they pass me, I flash my lights to let them know they are clear. When they need to pull out in front of me to pass, I do the same.

They have radios and I have found they let each other know to give me a break down the road.

Buehler445
07-25-2016, 11:10 AM
Grew up in a family of truck drivers....my dad was a trucker, my 2 uncles were truckers and my grandpa before them was a trucker. They were all great drivers, could actually handle them with ease and park them in the smallest spot with nary a scratch. I learned to respect trucks and the drivers for what they did and could do without causing wrecks or driver frustration.

Having said that...I wouldn't trust most drivers these days including my 2 cousins who continue the family legacy.
Almost all truckers are good. It's just that the dumbshits stand out more becuase they weigh 80,000 instead of the 2000 lb Prius the rest of the morons are driving.

rtmike
07-25-2016, 11:58 AM
I pulled a 9 axle heavy haul local in Portland, Or./Vancouver, Wa.

One time I was hauling a Link-Belt 250t house (top of crane, no wheels). Minding my own business in the slow lane. All of a sudden a mini van full of kids (sounds so cliche). I just know it looked like about 5-6 people in it, they were flailing around doing something. Anyhoots they came roaring by me, usually folks slow down, & jumped in front of me & pulled off to the shoulder hugging the line within seconds. Something happened inside the van & they bailed off the road as fast as they could not caring what was around them.

I hit the binders as hard as I could & swerved ever so slightly. I knew I was gonna sideswipe them. It was a forgone conclusion in my mind as it was happening.

I called the Safety Dept. right away to let them know. Nothing I could do, I had to keep going. I mean, I'm 12' wide & about 186k lbs.

Nothing ever came of it except the Safety Director had to take me into the ER with chest pains. Nothing ever came of that either, figured pulled muscle.

I drove in the oil patch out of high school moving the rotary rigs back in the 80's when there was a boom here cause we were fighting with OPEC. They made up & the patch work disappeared, sort of like what's happening now.
I took my experience & went OTR for a bit.
I got off the road & hauled lumber in show trucks for a year or two & then started back up heavy hauling.
That job got me into crane rental until I got hurt, no more driving full time. But when I did drive to move a crane or to drive a crane, it was $25 an hour back in '01. I'd pull Sylvan Hill in PDX about 10-15mph & people come by me giving me the bird & I just laugh & wave back. Top speed for some of them was like 40-45 mph, lol.

That incident with the mini van scared me the worst out of my time driving. Deal is, if something happened it would havebeen my fault. :shake:

I ended up in Vancouver, Wa. A long ways from Hays, Ks.

Spott
07-25-2016, 12:10 PM
I've seen people pulled over for cell phone use before.

What I can't understand is that even back in 2000, I used a wired ear piece while driving yet in 2016, these dummies hold a phone to their ear?

It's still legal in Florida. I drive a big truck every day for work but I am not an otr driver. I can see pretty much everything that people are doing when they are driving and I would say that probably half are doing some sort of distracted driving. I see people texting and looking down at their phones constantly, women putting on make-up, reading books and even playing guitars while driving. The worst offenders are police because they are almost always on their phone or playing on their computers while driving.

Chief Pagan
07-25-2016, 12:14 PM
I have known for close to 30 years that person in the cab can't see you a lot of the time and you sure in the hell can't see around them. I agree with Easy here, I always give trucks 4-6 car lengths in case they have to slam on their brakes.

I assumed that all cabs would have cameras by now that would give drivers a good view of all the vehicles around them. Is that not the case? If it isn't, I think it should be.

4-6 car lengths? I guess I also assume that my auto can stop in a shorter distance than the truck can.

Driving around the Midwest, I-70 say, the trucks don't seem too bad. But it is a lot worse in Cali. One truck can going 65 can take a long time to pass 5 trucks going 63. This causes a build up of cars that then start doing stupid crap.

Buehler445
07-25-2016, 12:35 PM
I assumed that all cabs would have cameras by now that would give drivers a good view of all the vehicles around them. Is that not the case? If it isn't, I think it should be.

4-6 car lengths? I guess I also assume that my auto can stop in a shorter distance than the truck can.

Driving around the Midwest, I-70 say, the trucks don't seem too bad. But it is a lot worse in Cali. One truck can going 65 can take a long time to pass 5 trucks going 63. This causes a build up of cars that then start doing stupid crap.

Nah man. They put together a rig with the least overhead expense as possible. Margins are tight. Only guys that spend money on rigs are the cattle haulers and the smart ones don't anyway.

Bowser
07-25-2016, 12:50 PM

The new trucks are coming out with "anti-collision" equipment, meaning that if you get too close to someone in front of you, a completely annoying beeping starts up and it only grows faster the closer you get. You get too close and the truck automatically brakes, fantastic for when people cut you right the fuck off in traffic. Also they have sensors on the sides that let out a very annoying BRRRRAAAAAAPPPPPP noise when you get too close to the line on either side. Someone that has never driven a truck designed that system, guaranteed.

Rain Man
07-25-2016, 01:06 PM
The new trucks are coming out with "anti-collision" equipment, meaning that if you get too close to someone in front of you, a completely annoying beeping starts up and it only grows faster the closer you get. You get too close and the truck automatically brakes, fantastic for when people cut you right the **** off in traffic. Also they have sensors on the sides that let out a very annoying BRRRRAAAAAAPPPPPP noise when you get too close to the line on either side. Someone that has never driven a truck designed that system, guaranteed.

Different topic, but I've had a couple of rental cars recently with blind spot detectors. Those things are awesome. My car must be a year or two too old to have them, but I sure wish it did.

Frosty
07-25-2016, 01:13 PM
IWhen they pass me, I flash my lights to let them know they are clear. When they need to pull out in front of me to pass, I do the same.

Don't flash your brights at them as that can be blinding (not sure if that's what you meant). Flick your lights off and then on like they do for each other.

KChiefs1
07-25-2016, 01:19 PM
I prefer the gas mileage behind them, myth busters did it and showed even at 150 feet there is a benefit.

I find a trucker who is going 5 mph over the limit & just ride their tail. It raised my mpg by 15 on a long trip.

Easy 6
07-25-2016, 01:51 PM
I find a trucker who is going 5 mph over the limit & just ride their tail. It raised my mpg by 15 on a long trip.

Thats a pretty incredible mileage jump, but isnt worth it to me

When I'm in my personal vehicle, I dont wanna look at the backside of a truck any longer than I have to... its much better to be able to see the road ahead IMO

Chief Pagan
07-25-2016, 02:22 PM
Nah man. They put together a rig with the least overhead expense as possible. Margins are tight. Only guys that spend money on rigs are the cattle haulers and the smart ones don't anyway.

I understand the margins can be tight, but sheeish. They spend what, a 100K or something on a rig and untold thousands on gas and can't spend a few grand to trick it out with cameras? If it dropped the accident rate by a few percentage points it seems like it would pay for itself without even counting loss of life.

Buehler445
07-25-2016, 02:23 PM
I understand the margins can be tight, but sheeish. They spend what, a 100K or something on a rig and untold thousands on gas and can't spend a few grand to trick it out with cameras? If it dropped the accident rate by a few percentage points it seems like it would pay for itself without even counting loss of life.

They don't put gas in trucks.

I've never looked into them. I don't know how they would affect margins. I think the real problem is that a fleet may have a whole pile of trailers and a few trucks. It may not be that bad to get on the truck, but outfitting a shitload of trailers would be expensive. Then making sure some methed up forklift driver doesn't smash the shit out of them once they're on the trailer.

srvy
07-25-2016, 02:36 PM
I dont like to be behind them at all and if I must I keep my distance. Have had rocks thrown into my work truck windshield cracking it not to mention eating retread sheds. Luckily never been behind on my bike when an 18 wheeler sheds.

Dayze
07-25-2016, 03:37 PM
My truck was a 2014 Pete 579. It had a sensor on the front that would beep if you're too close to someones tail, eventually if you got too close it would apply 1/3 braking power automatically......and then send a nice message to your safety department. Never had the brakes auto engage thankfully but did had one hard braking event I had to explain. Basically someone whipping g around me only to immediate cut in fro t of me to brake and exit . That guy probably saved a whopping 1 secind off his time, but nearly got smashed by me hauling 40000 lb steel coil secured suicide style. Which would've probably killed me too.

I forget but I think they told us at orientation that our trucks were $200k then they add an additional $20k in goodies from Peterbilt. Black leather, tv, Sirius , chrome everywhere etc. No idea if those figures were true but that's what they told us. Said if you hit anything within your first year, you're gone. Lol.

Hog's Gone Fishin
07-25-2016, 03:43 PM
[QUOTE=scho63;12332561]Truck drivers have such a low accident rate compared to the rest of the driving public. I forget the stats I saw a few years ago about CDL drivers but it was staggering. Something like non-CDL drivers had a 380% greater accident rate based on mileage driven.

The one area that CDL drivers have a high cause rate for accidents is driver fatigue. They are substantially higher percentage as a CAUSE compared to non-CDL.[/QUOTE

]That's because they run people off the road and while the car is crashing into said tree the Big Rig just keeps on trucking. The stats are decieving

OnTheWarpath15
07-25-2016, 05:03 PM
That was one of the great things about I-80 in Indiana and Ohio. Trucks had to stay in the right lane and were given a lower speed limit than other vehicles.

This.

Unsmooth-Moment
07-25-2016, 05:37 PM
I work with drivers every day. A majority of people wouldn't be able to do this job. I have respect for the truck driver. They sacrifice a lot to provide for their families.

Sent from my SM-G935V using Tapatalk

Hog's Gone Fishin
07-25-2016, 05:53 PM
I work with drivers every day. A majority of people wouldn't be able to do this job. I have respect for the truck driver. They sacrifice a lot to provide for their families.

Sent from my SM-G935V using Tapatalk

I call bullshit ! Morons that can't do a real job because they are brain dead end up truck drivers. And they go on the road to get away from their trailer trash families. Most of them ain't even got no teeth !

Bowser
07-25-2016, 05:57 PM
I call bullshit ! Morons that can't do a real job because they are brain dead end up truck drivers. And they go on the road to get away from their trailer trash families. Most of them ain't even got no teeth !

I picture you posting this via talk-to-text as you give Big Wally a proper jerk. LMAO

SAUTO
07-25-2016, 06:02 PM
I saw a trucker the other day whose left leg was at least ten times bigger than his right. And it was a funny color.

Don't know how he ever used a clutch

fan4ever
07-25-2016, 06:02 PM

I have pointed this out to my wife time and time again when traveling...I'm like "There's no freakin' way this is a coincidence..." Assholes...feel like passing them and slamming on my brakes and then gunning it to not get killed and give them a nice little dose of adrenaline...

Hog's Gone Fishin
07-25-2016, 06:10 PM
I picture you posting this via talk-to-text as you give Big Wally a proper jerk. LMAO

It's ALL true man ! It's all true.

Dayze
07-25-2016, 06:45 PM
Here is my old ride
https://scontent-sjc2-1.xx.fbcdn.net/v/t1.0-9/11429088_1012891188742987_9112358836060577793_n.jpg?oh=2e0ee68e5555ccbddaf24f44ff696081&oe=582C77E0

https://scontent-sjc2-1.xx.fbcdn.net/v/t1.0-9/11258304_1020183184680454_8293957474726229_n.jpg?oh=2de705997b58fbdcc0fd005b704be2a8&oe=582BB1FA

https://scontent-sjc2-1.xx.fbcdn.net/v/t1.0-9/11020778_1020182851347154_952619117550062334_n.jpg?oh=f4e9733729a53db8cdde902a7e24caa1&oe=58195F25

Buehler445
07-25-2016, 07:18 PM
https://scontent-sjc2-1.xx.fbcdn.net/v/t1.0-9/11020778_1020182851347154_952619117550062334_n.jpg?oh=f4e9733729a53db8cdde902a7e24caa1&oe=58195F25

Ugh. I'm not good for that.

Dayze
07-25-2016, 07:30 PM
102" Trailer with a 106" wide dock. I think I one shotted this one. There's another like it in Oklahoma to pick up drywall, and it's a deal where you're in a line waiting with other trucks and they signal you forward.....so then you get to try to back it in with everyone watching you . Lol. And while in line you can hear everyone smack talking in the CB. My first time there two truckers popped their trailer tires because they rubbed a tad too much on the dock when they pulled out.

I hated those docks. Thankfully, only encountered a handful of them.

SAUTO
07-25-2016, 07:32 PM
Ugh. I'm not good for that.

Me either lol.

Buzz
07-25-2016, 07:57 PM
95% of the time I have no problem with truckers, it's the other azzholes that piss me off. The only time truckers piss me off is when the sign say's no truckers in the left hand lane and that's where they go to pass other traffic.

Randallflagg
07-25-2016, 07:58 PM
One nice thing about living in Denver is that our truck traffic is really light. Experienced truck drivers know to avoid I-70 up to the divide, so the long-distance trucks all take I-80 through Wyoming.

WHAT!?!?!?!

I drive Denver roads all the time - I-25, city roads, I-70. Never seen so damned many rock trucks in my life! Highway 85 is the most miserable Piece of Shit I have EVER rode on.

I honestly thought KC was bad for truck traffic - but Denver has it beat all to hell.

Dayze
07-25-2016, 08:03 PM
95% of the time I have no problem with truckers, it's the other azzholes that piss me off. The only time truckers piss me off is when the sign say's no truckers in the left hand lane and that's where they go to pass other traffic.

Yep. I realized quickly I wasn't getting anywhere fast in My 63MPH rocket ship, so I would rarely even attempt to pass, especially loaded. If I'm coming up on another truck, I just let off the gas for a few seconds, and I'm back to being good with my distance.

Buzz
07-25-2016, 08:28 PM
Yep. I realized quickly I wasn't getting anywhere fast in My 63MPH rocket ship, so I would rarely even attempt to pass, especially loaded. If I'm coming up on another truck, I just let off the gas for a few seconds, and I'm back to being good with my distance.

I think it's human nature to want drive in the left hand lane. Traveling I-70 every day, I know to get over to the far right hand lane on certain stretches and pass more cars than I would otherwise.

Pasta Little Brioni
07-25-2016, 09:32 PM
When the big rig is a rockin toothless hooker gums are a slobbin

Chiefshrink
07-25-2016, 10:18 PM
I don't know if truck drivers are idiots but if you can learn how to drive those things it seems like easy money.

If all of America were flatland prairie then yes. But they earn their $$ especially in the wintertime crossing back and forth over the Rockies.

Until you can put yourself in the cab and experience what they experience, I can't imagine. Idiots on both sides and far more in the auto than truck IMHO.

Easy 6
07-25-2016, 10:45 PM
That dock looks like a tight fit, nice work Dayze

And that tractor looks state of the art, the 05 day cab Pete I drive with 700k is a far cry from that beast

DaneMcCloud
07-25-2016, 11:21 PM
Here is my old ride

Props!

I can barely back up out of my driveway (with a backup camera) without nearly getting in an accident each day.

srvy
07-26-2016, 12:07 AM
I always wondered how those old piggy back trailors did the backing never seen them doing that. As a teen I worked at Worlds of fun we would use the tram tractors to pull the dumpsters out there wood shelters to be dumped by the disposal service. Then we would haul them back to park in there slots. I got to where i could back four drop the the back one then head to next spot. We would have competitions I actually had the record at six but was so tight making turns and not hitting anything. If you got them going wrong and zigzaged them it was over you got off unhitched and grabbed tongue and guided it in he-man style. That all ended when one the guys took out the wood handrail with trailing dumpsters 6 hours before the park would open. They had to call the carpenters in on a weekend getting bridge repaired with just minutes to spare.

Demonpenz
07-26-2016, 12:13 AM
If all of America were flatland prairie then yes. But they earn their $$ especially in the wintertime crossing back and forth over the Rockies.

Until you can put yourself in the cab and experience what they experience, I can't imagine. Idiots on both sides and far more in the auto than truck IMHO.

I would def say yeah in bath weather, the guys I see seem to be wearing sandles racking up cash and being all the dude and shit.

Inspector
07-26-2016, 08:27 AM
Maybe it depends on who they work for. One of my kids drives OTR for UPS. He's trained to be a representative of the company whenever he has on the uniform, and especially when driving.

I'm sure there are shitty drivers at all places though.

I'm headed to Rustin LA. this weekend. Sure I'll run across more than one asshole along the way.

Dave Lane
07-26-2016, 10:07 AM
I'm going with "ALL OF THEM!"

No just R8ers.

Clyde Frog
07-26-2016, 11:24 AM
?

I feel so bad for you. You went from the Lance Armstrong wanna be, douche bag bikers in SD to truckers where you're at now. Maybe you can make a deal with the machines and just connect back to the matrix then live an epic life eating filet mignon/banging models?

Dayze
07-26-2016, 11:35 AM
Drove my truck through Montana and Washington/Oregon.....I was literally sweating from the stress. No fun at all. Thankfully that was the only time I had to deal with mountains

rtmike
07-26-2016, 03:19 PM
Did those Too Much Chrome trucks not have jakes or retarders?
What about tire chains?

A person gets in trouble on the passes in the winter. My load usually dictated whether I run chains or not.

I was never concerned over my driving unless someone forced me to.

You didn't like coming out here, I didn't like going past the Mississippi River. As a matter of fact I purposely wouldn't attach my fuel decals for places like New York.

Dayze
07-26-2016, 03:27 PM
We had a three stage Jake brake. Worked nice in grades. Get in the correct gear and basically just modulate the speed by toggling up and down via the Jake brake switch. Pretty nice actually.

Never had to jack with chains, in fact didn't even have them. Im sure had I been driving in the fall, I wouldve had to swing by a terminal to pick some up.

TMC didn't really go west of Kansas. Mostly Midwest and southeast etc. But there were the occasional runs to the west coast. .

ct
07-26-2016, 03:27 PM
semi transports are the lifeblood of our consumer society, and the drivers don't give 1 shit about you having to delay your vacation roadtrip progress by 2 minutes so get over it

if they are unsafe, turn em in. otherwise, your delay doesn't matter no matter how much you wine about it

Frosty
07-26-2016, 03:49 PM
A person gets in trouble on the passes in the winter. My load usually dictated whether I run chains or not.

I had to run over to Great Falls a couple of years ago for my nephew's wedding. It was mid-November and it wasn't too snowy going over. On the way back on I-90, it started snowing about Missoula.

I got to the top of the pass and there was a tour bus and a semi truck with trailer stopped side by side right at the top. Like if they went another 100 feet, it would be down hill. They were both stuck fast.

I sat there for awhile, thinking they would chain up and get going but it was clear neither driver had a clue what to do. A full-size pickup behind me got tired of waiting and drove off the side of the road through deep snow, about 18" probably, to go around.

I was driving a Subaru with snow tires so I eventually decided to risk it since the pickup had broken trail. It was nerve-wracking - and I had one heart stopping moment that I thought I was going to get stuck - but I made it around. Apparently no once else did because I had the entire freeway to myself all the way past Kellogg. I looked across the valley to the eastbound side of I90 and it was also backed up for miles, probably for the same reason.

jspchief
07-26-2016, 05:34 PM
It seems like the use of governors has really increased in the last 5 years or so. I remember when a few companies were known for it but now it appears nearly every large freight company uses them. I have no doubt that it's safer, cheaper, and more environmentally responsible but it definitely makes for frustrations on the highway.

SAUTO
07-26-2016, 05:41 PM
I've got a funny governor story.

Justin Jobe was the auto tech teacher at kck avts for thirty years or something, they forced him to retire after the school year before my senior year.

He still hung out there everyday and drive busses on field trips.
So we head out to salina c for a.VICA competition and he's in a brand new bus.

It would only go 63 while every other bus would go faster.
We stop for lunch at that McDonald's in the middle of the highway and old jobe is no where to be found.

I look out and the hood is up on that brand new bus, so I go out there and that old fucker was disabling the governor.

We got to salina at least 30 minutes before any other bus made it there ROFL. I loved that old guy.

Rain Man
07-26-2016, 05:51 PM
WHAT!?!?!?!

I drive Denver roads all the time - I-25, city roads, I-70. Never seen so damned many rock trucks in my life! Highway 85 is the most miserable Piece of Shit I have EVER rode on.

I honestly thought KC was bad for truck traffic - but Denver has it beat all to hell.

I don't drive 85 very often, but it's flatland anyway, at least north of Denver. But I swear that driving on 70 West of Denver, trucks are scarce compared to other places I drive. I used to drive I-44 in Missouri a lot, and it seemed like there were more trucks than cars on that road.

Dayze
07-26-2016, 06:04 PM
There were weeks where the loads seemed to keep me on 44 all week. Back and forth to St. Louis, then Oklahoma, then north of St. Louis, then back down to Oklahoma, then to Memphis etc. I probably spent more time on 44 than any other it seemed.

Deberg_1990
07-26-2016, 07:18 PM
What about Ice Road Truckers? Those guys are not idiots. Lots of talent.

Pasta Little Brioni
07-26-2016, 10:12 PM
Dayze can you tell me a bit about "The Way Of The Road"???

Lzen
07-27-2016, 07:22 AM
It's still legal in Florida. I drive a big truck every day for work but I am not an otr driver. I can see pretty much everything that people are doing when they are driving and I would say that probably half are doing some sort of distracted driving. I see people texting and looking down at their phones constantly, women putting on make-up, reading books and even playing guitars while driving. The worst offenders are police because they are almost always on their phone or playing on their computers while driving.

HTF is that even possible? You need 2 hands to play guitar.

Dayze
07-27-2016, 05:38 PM
Dayze can you tell me a bit about "The Way Of The Road"???

Yeah, the first time it hurts. but it gets a little easier each time.

eDave
07-27-2016, 05:46 PM
Yeah, the first time it hurts. but it gets a little easier each time.

Meta

Spott
07-27-2016, 07:53 PM
HTF is that even possible? You need 2 hands to play guitar.

Traffic wasn't moving very fast when I saw them, but it was going fast enough where a normal person would have their hands on the wheel. The guitar was a little smaller than a standard acoustic and I guess the guy was using his legs to steer.