PDA

View Full Version : Football Tom Jackson leaving ESPN

RunKC
07-26-2016, 07:50 AM
http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2016/07/25/tom-jackson-wont-be-back-at-espn/

ESPN is falling off a cliff. Tom Jackson, Colin Cowherd, Mike Tirico, Stuart Scott (RIP) and now Tom Jackson. Everybody wants out.

Even Skip Bayless left and this moron was one of the last pieces keeping people watching the last few years.

Simply Red
07-26-2016, 07:52 AM
about the time you think (as a company) you're a monopoly - Is when you become most vulnerable to tanking.

KCUnited
07-26-2016, 07:54 AM
Damn, both Tom Jackson's?!?!

Simply Red
07-26-2016, 07:55 AM
Damn, both Tom Jackson's?!?!

They're like the Roys on CP - there is a daddy poster and a son poster.

KCUnited
07-26-2016, 07:58 AM
I'm sorry Tom Jackson...

Simply Red
07-26-2016, 08:01 AM
-- Skinny, slim women got the camel toe within them
You can hump them, lift them, bend them, give them something to remember
Yell out timber when you fall through the chop shop. --

Amnorix
07-26-2016, 08:11 AM
Fuck ESPN.

Baby Lee
07-26-2016, 08:16 AM
So the pressing question is, what's the world-wide market for 24/7 BLM and Michael Sam tribute videos?

O.city
07-26-2016, 08:20 AM
The ones they've lost, outside of Stuart, needed to be replaced anyway.

DJ's left nut
07-26-2016, 08:22 AM
Oh no, wherever will I get my morning dose of sanctimonious bullshit.

Fuck Tom Jackson.

O.city
07-26-2016, 08:26 AM
Losing the guys they've lost will INCREASE viewers

kcmaxwell
07-26-2016, 08:43 AM
I'm sorry Tom Jackson...

This is for real!

Baby Lee
07-26-2016, 08:46 AM
This is for real!

why you so in denial when we know he's not happy here

KChiefs1
07-26-2016, 09:06 AM
ESPN's best days are in the past.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

BlackHelicopters
07-26-2016, 09:07 AM
Jackson was in all probability the worst analyst the four letter network ever had. Only watch live sports there anymore.

DJ's left nut
07-26-2016, 09:12 AM
Losing the guys they've lost will INCREASE viewers

Probably not.

Axing those guys 10 years ago might have made a difference, but are you going back now that Jackson's out? I'm not.

I've found better things to watch. I haven't actually sat down and watched ESPN apart from Sunday Night Baseball or Monday Night Football in probably 10 years. It was when they gave Snoop Dog a segment on Sportscenter. At that point, I gave up.

MLB Network and NFL Network are far better products. During basketball season I just watch TNT and their post-game stuff (and record the morning NBA show to find a Lakers segment). NHL Network is lagging behind MLB and NFL but since ESPN has simply refused to acknowledge that it exists since they lost the cable rights (the last analysis showed the WNBA getting more coverage on ESPN), the bar isn't exactly a high one to clear.

That ship has sailed. At this point, all ESPN can do is streamline, IMO. They lost their market advantage and have had to resort to insane television rights deals to try to maintain some semblance of domination. They're still the biggest dog, but they're more of a plurality leader at this point rather than the monolith they used to be.

And trotting clowns like Tom Jackson to preach to us every Sunday (or Chris Berman to simply stammer) is a big part of it. And now that they've gone full ESJN and decided to back every social justice plea they can get their hands on, they've gone from benignly annoying to loudly obnoxious.

ESPN can just die already.

O.city
07-26-2016, 09:18 AM
Probably not.

Axing those guys 10 years ago might have made a difference, but are you going back now that Jackson's out? I'm not.

I've found better things to watch. I haven't actually sat down and watched ESPN apart from Sunday Night Baseball or Monday Night Football in probably 10 years. It was when they gave Snoop Dog a segment on Sportscenter. At that point, I gave up.

MLB Network and NFL Network are far better products. During basketball season I just watch TNT and their post-game stuff (and record the morning NBA show to find a Lakers segment). NHL Network is lagging behind MLB and NFL but since ESPN has simply refused to acknowledge that it exists since they lost the cable rights (the last analysis showed the WNBA getting more coverage on ESPN), the bar isn't exactly a high one to clear.

That ship has sailed. At this point, all ESPN can do is streamline, IMO. They lost their market advantage and have had to resort to insane television rights deals to try to maintain some semblance of domination. They're still the biggest dog, but they're more of a plurality leader at this point rather than the monolith they used to be.

And trotting clowns like Tom Jackson to preach to us every Sunday (or Chris Berman to simply stammer) is a big part of it. And now that they've gone full ESJN and decided to back every social justice plea they can get their hands on, they've gone from benignly annoying to loudly obnoxious.

ESPN can just die already.

If it's not on the Disney Channel at this point, I'm probably not getting a chance to watch it anyway.

But no, my nfl coverage comes from nfl net and twitter, and the rest from their own nets.

But if espn adds interesting personalities, I'll watch some.

tx4chiefs
07-26-2016, 09:27 AM
I always hated Tom Jackson anyway, so good riddance.

BlackHelicopters
07-26-2016, 09:30 AM
Why did it take Tom Jackson so long to fix his teeth?

RunKC
07-26-2016, 09:41 AM
Losing those guys doesn't automatically mean they'll increase viewership, especially when you replace them with losers like Max Kellerman.

Rain Man
07-26-2016, 09:44 AM
Overrated stinking Bronco.

Spott
07-26-2016, 10:01 AM
Tom Jackson can go home and fist his dog.

Dave Lane
07-26-2016, 10:04 AM
Why did it take Tom Jackson so long to fix his teeth?

Taking a cue from Elway?

Garcia Bronco
07-26-2016, 10:15 AM
Disney's ESPN: A group that's helped raise a generation of sports watching illiterate drama queens.

Why Not?
07-26-2016, 10:45 AM
Wanted to be upset over this and Berman, mainly because I watched Primetime back in the day and the Blitz the last few years. Then, after reflection, I realized I mostly liked those shows for the highlight music. Hope that stays

DaneMcCloud
07-26-2016, 10:49 AM
Probably not.

That ship has sailed. At this point, all ESPN can do is streamline, IMO.

ESPN is not dead. They have the financial power of Disney and at some point, whether it's this year or next year or 2020, they'll put that immense financial power to use, hiring the best producers and creatives in the business in order to right the ship.

While I agree that it's 10 years too late for you and me, they'll make it happen, with Disney Channel/Disney XD and theme park crossovers and more.

They're not dead. Not by a long shot.

DaneMcCloud
07-26-2016, 10:53 AM
Wanted to be upset over this and Berman, mainly because I watched Primetime back in the day and the Blitz the last few years. Then, after reflection, I realized I mostly liked those shows for the highlight music. Hope that stays

Unlike 99% of every other broadcast channel (save the Infomercials), the music will likely stay because ESPN doesn't pay royalties for music used in their programming.

They'll occasionally do a buyout but most composers and libraries don't want to deal with them because there's no backend royalties, hence why they always use 20-30 year old music for their highlight shows.

O.city
07-26-2016, 10:55 AM
Did espn just hire randy moss or was that someone else?

DaneMcCloud
07-26-2016, 10:56 AM

ESPN

O.city
07-26-2016, 10:58 AM
I thought so. He's a good one to have.

It sucks, but espn is also catering to a different type of fan than most here at cp

staylor26
07-26-2016, 11:12 AM
**** that Bronco loving moron and **** ESPN.

Hammock Parties
07-26-2016, 11:16 AM
I'd like to see him get hired on by the Broncos for a gig. He'd be amazing. Even just a column on their website. His sense of history for Denver and the AFC West is unique.

MMXcalibur
07-26-2016, 11:22 AM
Fuck ESPN.

Particularly formerly employed Broncos.

*glares at Mark Schlereth*

ptlyon
07-26-2016, 11:23 AM
**** that Bronco loving moron and **** ESPN.

Reverend!

ChiefRocka
07-26-2016, 11:49 AM
E-S-P- IN YOUR FACE!!!!

BWillie
07-26-2016, 11:55 AM
Thank god. I hated that guy, even more than Berman. He brought absolutely nothing to the table.

Buehler445
07-26-2016, 12:17 PM
If it's not on the Disney Channel at this point, I'm probably not getting a chance to watch it anyway.

But no, my nfl coverage comes from nfl net and twitter, and the rest from their own nets.

But if espn adds interesting personalities, I'll watch some.

Good luck with that. I haven't paid attention to any of the business side of it, but it looks to me like they are bloated and over the last couple years they've tried to reduce their payroll. I'm sure they have better metrics than I can even dream of but it looks to me off the cuff that they've ran dudes out that have been there for a long time, probably have a big salary accordingly and don't bring enough to the table to justify it.

Now, when companies do this they don't often open up the checkbook for top notch talent.

Fuck ESPN.

Particularly formerly employed Broncos.

*glares at Mark Schlereth*

That cheating fucking Donk doesn't work there full time anymore I don't think.

Rain Man
07-26-2016, 12:23 PM

They hired him to talk and stuff?

ChiefsCountry
07-26-2016, 12:36 PM
Talking head shows at any sports network are really just filler. I don't know why people get so upset over them. Even with sports talk radio, there is only so much you can talk about. Live sports coverage is the real ratings boost.

Social media has killed the highlight shows though. We can get the score and highlights we want in instant time anymore. Debate type shows are really the only way to go anymore.

DJ's left nut
07-26-2016, 12:45 PM
They hired him to talk and stuff?

He's shockingly good.

Moss knows his shit.

staylor26
07-26-2016, 12:58 PM
He's shockingly good.

Moss knows his shit.

This. Moss might've had attitude problems and a huge ego, but he's not stupid.

mcaj22
07-26-2016, 01:05 PM
I think the NFL countdown team is Berman, Dilfer, Hasselbeck and Woodson

I think it came down to Jackson or Dilfer lol

MahiMike
07-26-2016, 01:09 PM
He was horrible! But in fairness, I'm surprised he could talk at all with the size of those lips.

Mr. Laz
07-26-2016, 01:33 PM
Cutting on the high dollar guys to make up for dwindling bottomline.

Should make ESPN better in the long run.

FloridaMan88
07-26-2016, 01:37 PM
Tom Jackson and Chris Berman on NFL Primetime back in the day was must watch TV, at least for me.

For all of the NFL programming out there now, I think there is still a need for a show on NFL Sundays that shows long form highlights and offers smart analysis for each game.

The only Sunday show that offers long form highlights currently is the NFL Network's late night show but with Deion Sanders, Michael Irvin and Best Damn Sports Show Period alumnus, Chris Rose there is zero smart analysis on the show.

Why Not?
07-26-2016, 01:43 PM
Unlike 99% of every other broadcast channel (save the Infomercials), the music will likely stay because ESPN doesn't pay royalties for music used in their programming.

They'll occasionally do a buyout but most composers and libraries don't want to deal with them because there's no backend royalties, hence why they always use 20-30 year old music for their highlight shows.

This is my learn something new of the day

DJ's left nut
07-26-2016, 01:48 PM
Tom Jackson and Chris Berman on NFL Primetime back in the day was must watch TV, at least for me.

For all of the NFL programming out there now, I think there is still a need for a show on NFL Sundays that shows long form highlights and offers smart analysis for each game.

The only Sunday show that offers long form highlights currently is the NFL Network's late night show but with Deion Sanders, Michael Irvin and Best Damn Sports Show Period alumnus, Chris Rose there is zero smart analysis on the show.

I don't recall the last time Berman or Jackson intelligently analyzed anything.

Eh, they're all better than Heath Evans. What a fucking mouth-breathing mongoloid that guy is.

MahiMike
07-26-2016, 01:55 PM
Jackson was a buddy hire. Never understood how he ever got on the air.

FloridaMan88
07-26-2016, 02:29 PM
I don't recall the last time Berman or Jackson intelligently analyzed anything.

Eh, they're all better than Heath Evans. What a ****ing mouth-breathing mongoloid that guy is.

During the 1990's they did on NFL Primetime, especially Tom Jackson.

Molitoth
07-26-2016, 02:39 PM
NFL Primetime was greatness, but since that stopped Tom Jackson can eat retirement.

and yes, Heath Evans is a turd sandwich.

Molitoth
07-26-2016, 02:40 PM
<iframe width="560" height="315" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/y6-FMx_gu6g" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

https://youtu.be/itBIZtiorLY?t=13m23s

Dayze
07-26-2016, 02:51 PM
Whatever they decide to do I hope ESPN decided to not have like seven mother fuckers on a morning show. Nothing makes me want to turn the channel fast than hearing four + peoole talking at the same time. NFL network is horrible In This regard.

Sent from my XT1080 using Tapatalk

DJ's left nut
07-26-2016, 03:21 PM
NFL Primetime was greatness, but since that stopped Tom Jackson can eat retirement.

and yes, Heath Evans is a turd sandwich.

I just wonder if it wasn't the BBTN of football.

I used to think Baseball Tonight was the tits. Then MLB Network came along and I started watching MLB Tonight and it just shits all over anything I can recall BBTN doing. It's just a massacre.

Was Primetime actually any good? Or was it just the best of a bad lot. Because if it was actually good, I guess that just makes the descent of Berman, Jackson, etc... that much more shocking.

Because man oh man are those guys dogshit these days.

DaneMcCloud
07-26-2016, 03:28 PM
Was Primetime actually any good? Or was it just the best of a bad lot. Because if it was actually good, I guess that just makes the descent of Berman, Jackson, etc... that much more shocking.

PrimeTime was really, really good in the early 90's, especially before Direct TV, The Red Zone, NFL Network and their programs began to saturate the landscape.

Back in the day, it was really the only way to see more than just the highlights of the day. It was an hour long show really dedicated to the best plays and sequences from each game. Berman and Jackson were top notch.

I haven't watched it since they lost the rights to show all of the games on Sunday night. I used to love to kick back after a long day of football and watch the games around the league.

HBO's Inside The NFL with Lenny & Nick was awesome, too. It wasn't bad when they added Collinsworth and Marino but once Lenny & Nick were forced out, the show lost its magic for me. I think it's a notch above unwatchable on Showtime.

Kman34
07-26-2016, 03:34 PM
I used to like their show but now it's just noise....Chris Berman and his yes man Jackson will not be missed...

jallmon
07-26-2016, 04:32 PM
Jackson was in all probability the worst analyst the four letter network ever had. Only watch live sports there anymore.

I tuned in there last season while waiting on NFL Network Redzone to start. Tom Jackson looked like a miserable, crotchety ol' fart. Well, good luck to him in his future endeavors (not really, but somebody has to say something nice about ol' chapped ass around here -- may as well be me).

The poor bastard was raised in Cincinnati, played NFL in Denver, and now "lives" in Cincinnati. Both of his football teams are either on the downward slope (Donks) or can't win in the playoffs (Bangles). He's in for some miserable years.

jallmon
07-26-2016, 04:39 PM
I tuned in there last season while waiting on NFL Network Redzone to start. Tom Jackson looked like a miserable, crotchety ol' fart. Well, good luck to him in his future endeavors (not really, but somebody has to say something nice about ol' chapped ass around here -- may as well be me).

The poor bastard was raised in Cincinnati, played NFL in Denver, and now "lives" in Cincinnati. Both of his football teams are either on the downward slope (Donks) or can't win in the playoffs (Bangles). He's in for some miserable years.

And that coming from a Chiefs fan. The only thing keeping the Chiefs from having the longest Super Bowl drought of any Super Bowl- (or Championship game-) winning team is the ****ing J-E-T-S, Jets, Jets, Jets. Hopefully we can get back in and win quickly, while we have the talent, or we are also in for a miserable row to hoe. If so, I may move to Cincinnati and hold hands with Tommy.

Eureka
07-26-2016, 04:41 PM
EAT SH*T TOM JACKSON

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rpPJ6X1wjIE

Pasta Little Brioni
07-26-2016, 05:42 PM
Broadcast HOF/ knowmoceratedblob

Demonpenz
07-27-2016, 12:26 AM
Yeah.. if you ever watch the doc "The School of Rand" It sold me as Moss as the greatest WR ever.

Demonpenz
07-27-2016, 12:28 AM
I just wonder if it wasn't the BBTN of football.

I used to think Baseball Tonight was the tits. Then MLB Network came along and I started watching MLB Tonight and it just shits all over anything I can recall BBTN doing. It's just a massacre.

Because man oh man are those guys dogshit these days.

I think everything was better then. Alot less bullshit with the nfl and true like once in a lifetime players.

Demonpenz
07-27-2016, 12:31 AM
<iframe width="560" height="315" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/y6-FMx_gu6g" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

https://youtu.be/itBIZtiorLY?t=13m23s

No One circles the wagons like the Buffalo Bills. /Berman
And you see there a wonderful cut back by Thurman Thomas to make the score 14-14/ Tom Jackson.
But back come the Eagles with the Strip and Sack by REGGIE WHITE (low voice) giving the ball back to the Eagles. /Berman
*cuts to White picking up the ball and making dumbass Reggie White type of open field moves"

WHOOP WHOOP WHOOOP

and Finally he is brought down at the 5 yard line /Berman

New World Order
07-27-2016, 12:58 AM
Berman is the best highlight man in the history of the biz.

listopencil
07-27-2016, 04:18 AM

Then the biz is in horrible shape.

BlackHelicopters
07-27-2016, 07:49 AM

Is ESPN the only channel you receive ?

Garcia Bronco
07-27-2016, 08:01 AM

Maybe not anymore but there was time when this was a precise statement. And it was a long time that he and Tom sat at the top of the heap. Especially in the 90's.

Why Not?
07-27-2016, 08:03 AM
Berman in his prime(time), was much better than anything offered today including Berman of this decade. Deion Sanders? The NBC guys? Meh. Actually it's kind of shocking nobody can provide a good NFL highlight show. MLB Network does a good job with baseball but everybody kind of sucks with their football highlight show.

Why Not?
07-27-2016, 08:03 AM
Maybe not anymore but there was time when this was a precise statement. And it was a long time that he and Tom sat at the top of the heap. Especially in the 90's.

Exactly

milkman
07-27-2016, 09:49 AM
Whatever they decide to do I hope ESPN decided to not have like seven mother ****ers on a morning show. Nothing makes me want to turn the channel fast than hearing four + peoole talking at the same time. NFL network is horrible In This regard.

Sent from my XT1080 using Tapatalk

This.

Back in the day, they had Berman anchoring NFL Primetime, and Jackson analyzing.
I don't know how great they were, but the show was about the highlights.

Now days, every highlight show has 15 useless fuckers arguing and doing sorryass jokes, and the shows are about the personalities trying to entertain rather than showing highlights and breaking them down.

gblowfish
07-27-2016, 10:47 AM
Good.
Screw that Donk Asshole.